• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster confirmed to not be 50 characters or more?

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy with the roster already, if they just confirm duck hunt and those from the real leak, i'm happy already with that. Why? Think about future.....if we squeeze every single idea for characters to be in the game now, how many new ideas will we get for the next smash in the future? Try to be more thankfull with the many new characters we are already getting now...

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
40<50

Math. :D

Personally I never really thought we'd crack 50. I'm a realist.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
@ Dyguren Dyguren Good point. I heard that Dark Pit is wielding a staff, hopefully it's true!
Yeah i heard dark pit is a totally different character in the original game where Pit comes from. So hopefully they took their time to bring original moves from the game into ssbb4 too.

SSEddie13

Smash Cadet
NNID
sseddie13
3DS FC
5429-9107-2527
There is no reason they would advertise it as more than 40 if the total roster is 51 or more. When you are trying to sell a product you want it to sound as appealing as possible and the main selling point of Smash Bros is the characters. They will say more than 50 if they have 51 or more characters. I could however see them saying more than 40 if there is exactly 50 characters because if they advertise it as "there are 50 characters in the game" there are no surprises....we would know the exact amount. With the leak we have 49 characters, so I can only see there being one more possible character left that we might not know. I still believe that we have already seen the entire roster and there are no more characters left...and I'm fine with that.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
can we believe whoever translated it , did it right?.... i want to know what exactly says..

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
can we believe whoever translated it , did it right?.... i want to know what exactly says..
Maybe... Wouldn't surprise me if the "translator" is lying. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Unfortunately the leak is real.... Shulks moves are exactly the same as the leak and bowser juniors moves look 100% legit, no one would fake an animation like that...
I know it is real, but personally I hate the idea of Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog in Smash Bros, it just doesn't feel right. Hope Nintendo scrap them off, even though this might be impossible.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
I know it's offtopic but man i want amiibo figures of megaman, lucina and shulk ... i hope every character gets one in fact

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Look, if Ice Climbers are back too, I have no problem with Duck Hunt Dog. But cut them out just makes me mad.
There not back, 3DS Limitations.

All 4 Players as Ice Climbers on Rainbow Road with complicated assist trophy and Final Smash activated. Too much.

And Rosalina and Luma are NOT the same issue.

Killimano23

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure it's less then 50 yeah. If it was more then 50 they'd have said the roster was over 50 not over 40. Granted there's a slight chance that they have a few "secret" characters like with brawl that makes it reach like 50 or 51 or something but honestly that's very unlikely

Young Marth

Smash Apprentice
For all the people wanting/fully believing that Dark Pit isn't a clone, he's sandwiched in between a past clone and a confirmed clone. Not to mention he's separated from the other KI reps (but you could still argue that it's because the roster's not fully unlocked). Personally I'm really upset at Dark Pit. He's the only leaked character I'm not happy about. Himself isn't the issue, but I think it's REALLY overrepping KI. But Sakurai bias is real so...

Last edited:

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
People should bear in mind that most ads are made by outside agencies, not the home company. It's very likely that these ads were not made by Nintendo themselves. That being the case, it's entirely possible that the agency doesn't know how many characters will be in the finished game, especially since Nintendo are keeping such a tight lid on it. All they would know in that case would be that there are 40 characters now (including the three Mii types as different characters) and that there are going to be more. So "More than 40" is the only statement they can really make.

But really, the whole point of this thread is kind of moot. Between the leak and the official reveals, we already have over 50 characters. The three Mii types will all officially count as separate characters, in much the same way that Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Zelda, Sheik, Samus and ZSS all counted as their own characters in Brawl despite only taking up 3 CSS spots between them. So the roster is already more or less confirmed to have more than 50 characters. The advert saying "more than 40" really means nothing.

Last edited:

Switters

Smash Rookie
Im not usually fussed when it comes to which characters are going to be in Smash bros. If I have one complaint I think there are to many Pokemon characters in the new Smash Bros. I usually play as Falco, but the thought of duck hunt dog being in the new smash brothers is really exciting and would be my main character. I don't really get the hate for this character definitely a classic character that has more right to be there than a lot of other characters.

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
Im not usually fussed when it comes to which characters are going to be in Smash bros. If I have one complaint I think there are to many Pokemon characters in the new Smash Bros.
Pokemon has a smaller share of the roster in Smash 4 than it's had in any previous Smash game.

64: 2 out of 12, or 16.6%
Melee: 4 out of 26, or 15.38%
Brawl: 6 out of 39, or 15.38%
Smash 4: 5 out of 51+, or 9.8% or less

Even if Mewtwo is one of the characters that is yet to be revealed, that would still put it lower than any previous Smash game. Given that Pokemon's size and success, I'm surprised it doesn't have more. I don't see why 5 (maybe 6) out of about 50 is a problem, especially when we're talking about the second biggest franchise in all of gaming.

I usually play as Falco, but the thought of duck hunt dog being in the new smash brothers is really exciting and would be my main character. I don't really get the hate for this character definitely a classic character that has more right to be there than a lot of other characters.
I definitely agree with you on this though. Duck Hunt Dog may not have been my first choice for a newcomer, but he looks like he'll be a very interesting character to play.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm increasingly beginning to think that more characters will be unlocked if you have both versions.

A - It's a way to maintain hype for the Wii U release
B - It's a way to get people to buy both versions
C- It's a way to make sure people continuously play versions instead of 'play the 3DS version then drop it cold turkey for the Wii U version'

Them advertising it as 'play as more than 40 characters' is just talking about the 3DS version, not both. So in that regard, that theory also fits. But having both would increase it to above 50, and thus, the marketing line can change for that version. Also, it's essentially ONE game split into 2 versions, so presumably, if you have both, you can play all of the content together in one form or another.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
In my personal opinion the charcter roster will most likely be 48 characters or higher. Though i have a feeling it might be around 54

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
There not back, 3DS Limitations.

All 4 Players as Ice Climbers on Rainbow Road with complicated assist trophy and Final Smash activated. Too much.

And Rosalina and Luma are NOT the same issue.

I'm calling BS on this one, if the dammed Gamecube could support Ice climbers, the far more powerful 3DS can too.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
It's just an advertising gimmick. It leaves that aura of mystery and makes the roster seem bigger than it is.

Egg-Off the Conquerer

Smash Apprentice
dude thanks for sharing this poster!
super dope!
also i think with the leaks and just for pure surprise 40 is safe.
there were 35 in brawl.
i do think we will get 50 characters but yea i feel you
You're welcome (I took the picture)

All star mode was shown in a slideshow, it is in no way proof that some characters are still locked. Honestly, the 5 empty spaces, the New 3DS having a buffed CPU and the Ice climber's absence makes me feel that we may see some DLC characters

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
A - It's a way to maintain hype for the Wii U release
B - It's a way to get people to buy both versions.
A - There is no need to maintain hype for the wii u release, the wii u release, in my opinon, has more than enough hype built. Not everyone wants to play smash in a 3Ds you know, specially when we are used to playing it on the TV. Also, the Wii U version has better graphics and you can play it with a controller and keep the tradition of playing smash that way. There is no need to build hype for it. I bought a Wii U and not a 3Ds for that exact reason.

B - Maybe some will, but others won't. They would have to get a lot of money for both consoles and both games at the same time. Which if you have that money, i admire you, but i wouldn't spend that much for the same game in both consoles at the same time... but again, i admire whoever does heh, I think both versions will have the same content anyways, i'm calling that already now.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I used to think 45 characters seemed great but I did not expect all the newcomers we have gotten and I would like to see Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Mewtwo to return, so I hope it is over 50...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
48 characters shown in the leak.
5 open spots (presumably) left on the roster of the leaked image.

53 total.

Also characters as Alt skins is still a possibility, so although pure clones, still a different character cosmetically.

So in my opinion, I find based on my beliefs and views of the information presented to me, that the roster will undoubtedly be over 50 characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom