• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster confirmed to not be 50 characters or more?

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Ok, first, it's not confirmed for real. Although it strongly hints it.

This is a poster that has been put up in stations in Tokyo. Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2f2ft8/the_hype_is_real_poster_at_my_station_in_the/

So what's so significant with this poster, except that it's awesome? Well, it clearly states that:

"More than 40 fighters assembled!"

Well this might just be my view but if the game had 50 characters or more I'd definately let people know about it.

Obviously, this doesn't rule out DLC but the leaked roster of 48 is looking more and more likely.

Azizibesmashing

Smash Apprentice
Ok, first, it's not confirmed for real. Although it strongly hints it.

This is a poster that has been put up in stations in Tokyo. Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2f2ft8/the_hype_is_real_poster_at_my_station_in_the/

So what's so significant with this poster, except that it's awesome? Well, it clearly states that:

"More than 40 fighters assembled!"

Well this might just be my view but if the game had 50 characters or more I'd definately let people know about it.

Obviously, this doesn't rule out DLC but the leaked roster of 48 is looking more and more likely.

dude thanks for sharing this poster!
super dope!
also i think with the leaks and just for pure surprise 40 is safe.
there were 35 in brawl.
i do think we will get 50 characters but yea i feel you

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I think it's (more than) 50 but they write on their posters 40, that's because there are 38 challengers confirmed, and it's a better surprise if there are more than 50 challengers. :/

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
If he didn't have all the characters, Why on earth would he be able to hover over All-Star mode to begin with?

There is NO reason for him not to have all the characters considering King K Rool, Ridley or Impa would need to be rated aswell since Ridley can be considered Scary. Impa can be considered slightly sexual. And King K Rool could be considered scary and was created out of the banana wars.

Niala

Smash Ace
We currently have 40 fighters announced, if you count the Miis as three separate characters.

In what world does it make sense for them to advertise that there are more than 50 fighters right now? That's like telling everybody, "Hey, we have at least 10 more characters you don't know about." You have to be really careful when you advertise, withholding information is more valuable than the information you actually give out.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
On one hand, it would be interesting if they were trying to hide the fact that there are more then 50 characters in the game to get people more excited.

At the same time, people would be right in wondering, why not put the fact that there are more then 50 characters in the game if there is more?

I really don't know what to believe anymore.

I guess to be fair though, if the roster leak apparently had 48 characters, I guess there is some chance for there to be one-two more.

They wouldn't have to put "over 50" in those cases.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, and this was also mentioned in the Japanese commercial, but please let me pull the leak here in this post, although this could be means that the leak is real because if we add Bowser jr and Ganondorf<<He's definitely going to return. It will be exactly 40. But in my personal thought the leaked roster is not good, I don't want Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. in Smash Bros.
I don't think the roster will be overed 50 guys, it will be 4? characters in this game let's just hope rest of the characters are just clones and dumb characters.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Don't forget, Monolith Soft didn't show up on the box art or in commercials as a copyright holder until after Shulk's reveal. We'll have to wait and see. I love the roster as-is, more is just icing on a good cake.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Yes, and this was also mentioned in the Japanese commercial, but please let me pull the leak here in this post, although this could be means that the leak is real because if we add Bowser jr and Ganondorf<<He's definitely going to return. It will be exactly 40. But in my personal thought the leaked roster is not good, I don't want Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr. in Smash Bros.
Unfortunately the leak is real.... Shulks moves are exactly the same as the leak and bowser juniors moves look 100% legit, no one would fake an animation like that...

Chauzu

Smash Ace
In what world does it make sense for them to advertise that there are more than 50 fighters right now? That's like telling everybody, "Hey, we have at least 10 more characters you don't know about." You have to be really careful when you advertise, withholding information is more valuable than the information you actually give out.
I dunno, it would have got me even more excited... Instead of now wondering "oh maybe there's nothing more than what we already know".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You do realize that not every fighter is going to be present on the advertising, right? Wario still hasn't been advertised in Smash 4, and yet he was one of the very first confirmed characters to be revealed for Brawl.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I dunno, it would have got me even more excited... Instead of now wondering "oh maybe there's nothing more than what we already know".
Some people favor unforeseen surprises. I'm not one of them either, I want to know everything. Knowing how many characters there are and how much more there is to look forward to is much more enjoyable than thinking "Is this all, or do they have a few more ready to show us? I really hope there's more. But there might not be."

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
There is NO reason for him not to have all the characters considering King K Rool, Ridley or Impa would need to be rated aswell since Ridley can be considered Scary. Impa can be considered slightly sexual. And King K Rool could be considered scary and was created out of the banana wars.
They could easily be shown in other footage rather than on the selection screen.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
They could easily be shown in other footage rather than on the selection screen.
Why would that ever happen? The leaker obviously doesn't care about spoilers and would have shown the other footage as well. There's no reason for 1 video and another video to be off of different demos for the ESRB.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You do realize that not every fighter is going to be present on the advertising, right? Wario still hasn't been advertised in Smash 4, and yet he was one of the very first confirmed characters to be revealed for Brawl.
Does the eShop incident count as unintentional advertising? I mean, that's what it does, advertise upcoming games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason that they wouldn't advertise it as having 50 characters or more if it had that much. At this point I'm just about 100% sure what we saw is all we're getting, there are simply nothing convincing that tells me otherwise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason that they wouldn't advertise it as having 50 characters or more if it had that much. At this point I'm just about 100% sure what we saw is all we're getting, there are simply nothing convincing that tells me otherwise.
Until the official release, not everything is completely certain.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Shadow is an assist trophy though. I saw it. He still uses Chaos Control
I think he was being sarcastic there. Some people think that what you see is going to be what you get, though there are some leak portions that are heavily debatable. You need an official source to prove what's real and what's fake, and the Smash Bros. website is quite accurate with its information.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
I was saying it for his case. There are some characters in there that are stupid, namely dark pit and dr mario....
I think any characters are good characters. I don't see why people hate this roster. If you don't like the characters play as someone else. Yknow? :3

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Obviously, but when there are 5 clones in the game, it just gets annoying.
Yeah, I can understand that. Only reason that is like that though, is cause if there's even a slight physical difference between two characters they'll get their own spots.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, I can understand that. Only reason that is like that though, is cause if there's even a slight physical difference between two characters they'll get their own spots.
Lucina makes sense, since she IS a different entity from Marth, but Dr. Mario and Mario are one in the same.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I have no idea how many characters we're getting. For all I know we're getting 45, 50, 60 or 9001 characters.

What I do know however, is this.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/confirm
Confirm
1. Establish the truth or correctness of (something previously believed or suspected to be the case)
1.1 State with assurance that a report or fact is true
1.2 Reinforce someone in (an opinion or feeling)
1.3 Make (a provisional arrangement or appointment) definite
1.4 Make (a decision or an agreement) formally valid
1.5 Declare (someone) formally to be appointed to a particular post
2 Administer the religious rite of confirmation to

I know that no matter how often this word is used on SmashBoards, it very rarely fits any of these definitions.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Unless they made some changes.
Doubt it, if they wanted to change her more, they wouldn't have revealed the trailer with even gameplay scenes in it yet untill they had the definitive moveset they want for her

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I was saying it for his case. There are some characters in there that are stupid, namely dark pit and dr mario....
Why are they stupid? The developers are just giving us more content. Would you rather just not have them in at all? That's just a smaller roster!

Last edited:

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
we don't even know if dr mario has the same moveset as before, we haven't seen gameplay of him in SSB4 yet... altho the chances of being the same are above 70%, i agree...

Booster

Smash Lord
If Sakurai wanted this to be the best Crossover game ever (Which he does btw) he needs to take a look a look at Marvel vs Capcom 2: Great among the competitive crowd (More then Melee) and has 56 characters. Well Sakurai to match that would need 57 characters and add back Melee mechanics to even try to go against Marvel vs Capcom 2 and if the 3rd Marvel vs Capcom didn't come close to the second ones greatness...*laughs and cries* FML

ferioku

Smash Ace
Why are they stupid? The developers are just giving us more content. Would you rather just not have them in at all? That's just a smaller roster!
I didn't call the developers stupid, I called the clones stupid, actually thinking of it that way, the developers may have not had enough time to fit more characters in, but we will see either way. Hopefully my Wolf is secured, same as Ice climbers, because removing those 2 will seriously irritate me!

@ Dyguren Dyguren Good point. I heard that Dark Pit is wielding a staff, hopefully it's true!

Last edited:
Top Bottom