• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina moveset speculation

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What the title says, I made this thread specifically for discussing Rosalina's moveset.

So far Rosalina has proved to have a unique and interesting moveset and playstyle, more such things are very likely to come.

Her currently known moves: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Rosalina_(SSB4)

As everyone should expect, Rosalina has taken a lot of elements from the Super Mario Galaxy games. What other elements from the SMGs do you think could be incorporated into her moveset?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i dont think the luma color affects attack traits. we wont know until sakurai says something about it. for now i think its a cosmetic change.

oy this is going to be hard figuring out the moveset, cuz theres the moveset which involves luma, and the moveset that only rosalina does, and then theres the moveset that rosalina and luma do together.

Jab: simple jab stuff

Dash attack: Dive thing / Luma unknown

F tilt: rosalina unknown / luma shoots stars
U tilt: flippy thing / luma flippy thing
D tilt. unknown

F smash: smash luma forward / zelda style galaxy smash
U smsh: smash luma up / ring thing that emanates from her head.
D smash: smash luma around / galaxy swirl

(Luma probably does not have aerials)
F air: unknown
U air : galaxy trail
D air: ring spike
B air unknown
N air: unknown

F special: sends luma forward spinning.
U special: star pad recovery
D special: summon Luma / Call Luma Back
N special: Warp Field (like when marios fludd warped around Rosalina / brings all items to her)

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
i just hope her guard is that energy force field thing from galaxy and that she uses as pull star as a grab

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Jab:
R - 2 Hit Cosmic Pulse
L - PPK
Dash attack:
R- Wand scoop
L - ???
F tilt:
R - ???
L - Punch Lunge

U tilt:
R - ???
L - Upper Cut/Shoruken
D tilt:
R - ???
L - ???
F smash:
R - ???
L - ???
U smsh:
R - ???
L - ???
D smash:
R - Punches on both sides of Rosalina
L - Galaxy Sweep (Kicks both sides like Zelda's D Smash but with galaxies forming)

(Luma does not have aerials)

F air: Galaxy Bicycle Kick
U air: Ring Shot Up
D air: Ring Shot Down
B air: ???
N air: ???

F special: Luma Skull Bash
U special: Launch Star
D special: Summon Luma / Star Bit Barrage
N special: Galaxy Barrier (Deflects and draws in items)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Perhaps Rosalina's third jump can have its angle adjusted, much like with Fox's Fire Fox. However, the penalty should only be a semi-helpless state; she'd only be able to use her standard aerials until she touches the ground.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
I'm still in awe about this whole thing, but my brain can't comprehend Dash Attack and how it came to be.

It refuses to even think about it.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I hope that we get to see the Luma Spin in there somewhere, perhaps as a Neutral Air.
And using Pull Stars for grabs/throws would be cool.

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
im pretty sure her up + B attack is a launch star and it makes that harp medley everytime and can headbutt people with it. i dont think Luma has its own moves at all. i think it has a little Luma style moves but not whole new type of moves in general. Luma will attack when Rosalina will. when you press A luma and Rosalina both do the A attack. and wherever Luma is doesnt matter and it still does the same attacks with a little Luma tweak to it.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
N-Special: Summon Luma
F-Special: Move Luma (the Luma's movement when Villager tried to catch him)
U-Special: Launch Star
D-Special: Gravity Cursor

That's all I got.

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
i believe her pull star move (the little blue star) be B and her summon Luma is B + down.

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
oh ok that makes sense. but i cant figure out what her summn luma is. maybe a special type of taunt? like it does the taunt and out pops a baby luma? i have no idea

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
and maybe rosalinas final smash will be like snakes but shooting out starbits XD or they rain down on the stage. or like comets rain down. wait that is Ness and Lucas's. maybe lumas come? or one of those big lumas that give you things and turn into things when you feed them star bits comes and eats everyone, explodes and they all start flying? sorry i was thinking too much XD

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I like the idea of Hungry Luma as a Final Smash.
I could see it being something Comet Observatory-related, but eh.

Also I think this:
Rosalina Grab.jpg

May be her grab. A tether possibly.

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
oh and i was watching the trailer over again and the part after she down smashes the villager i think on the pikmin level and he dies, almost ight after that you see her launh into the air and you hear the harp medley and she starts flashing black like after you use the Up + B. so its confirmed that that is her Up + B attack/saver.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I were to guess her special attack commands...

standard: Star Cursor Barrier
up: Launch Star
down: Luma Summon

The side special may be a bit sketchy, but maybe Rosalina will throw Star Bits at opponents?

Edit: Missed the image that 8-peacock-8 posted. That must mean the barrier will be the down special, if anything.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
The little star shooting is confusing to me.
But i think the warp field is neutral b like zeldas.

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
maybe one f her taunts is them chowing down on a star bit (since they taste like honey) or rosalina spin one on her star wand and luma balance one on its head. i can't wait what nintendo and sakurai have up their sleeve with this game and especially rosalina

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So here's my general speculation.

B is Luma Summon, and I have no idea what the colored Lumas mean, if anything. Up B is Launch Star which looks to be a very high Flash Kick. Down B is gravity. Side B is the one that looks to raise a lot of questions.

For those of you not familiar with BlazBlue, there is a character named Litchi Faye-Ling who can fight with and without her staff. She can manually place it or place it following an attack and then call it back to her later. I think this might be the case for Rosalina here. Pressing B with the Luma out will place it right where Rosalina is. Side B appears to shoot the Luma out if it's next to Rosalina and it will stay at the point it stops. No idea if doing her Side B at point blank has any additional properties or what they might be.

There might be other attacks where you can trigger a "desync". Moves that may set the two apart like possibly her dash attack or as a result of being a meat shield are two possibilities.

I think you can move the Luma without moving Rosalina as we've seen with that FThrow combo. The conditions seem to require that the Luma must not be doing anything, but it appears Rosalina can be in the middle of an attack. As such, the Luma is able to move while Rosalina is busy. Another possible way is that Rosalina's "crawl" is moving the Luma independently.

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
maybe they might be implemeting the mechanic of only using certain remotes for certain characters? like luma is right analog stick (wii u tablet) and rosalina is left? and they do the same attacks at the same time. or you can press a button and luma just sits there and does nothing. this is honestly puzzling me right now

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Sakurai has said that the game will not use any features exclusive to the Wii U gamepad.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
how i think rosalinas control scheme goes:
rosalina and luma are tied to each other like ice climbers. what rosalina does, luma does also.
you move left, luma follows, you press A, Luma attacks.
you press side B, launches Luma forward, but stays motionless, unless a command is given like an attack or the recall button is pressed like the button that summoned luma in the first place.
as long as luma is in close proximity to rosalina, he moves wherever rosalina goes,
if luma is far away, luma does not follow rosalinas movements unless an attack is being performed.
and.... now im stuck.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Here's what I got.
3 hit Jab Combo

Dash Attack

Neutral Special

<-it can be used while grabbed too

Forward Special

<- Maybe this is the Luma's forward special?

Neutral Special when a Luma is active
<- Yellow
<- No idea what this is, but she's only waving her wand
<- Red
<- Green?

Up Special

Down Special

Up Smash

Forward Smash

Down Smash

Up Air

Down Air

Throws
<- Back Throw?
<- Forward throw

Taunt

<- Luma's taunt is <3

???
<- Maybe forward tilt?

MechaWave

Smash Champion
<-it can be used while grabbed too
I think this is apart of her forward special, see below.

Forward Special

<- Maybe this is the Luma's forward special?
Sakurai said in yesterday's pic of the day the Luma can be "close to Rosalina or set further apart." I think her side special is exactly what this does. In the trailer, Luma never went to Rosalina unless she did an action which had to be this move to call it back.

In the gif where Rosalina and Luma tag team to hit Pit, you can see this is what happens. Rosalina uses this move to set Luma apart. Luma stays faraway from Rosalina, copying her moves, not going back to her (UNlike Nana).

In the gif where a red Luma shoots Star Bits, she also uses this move, does another action to make Luma use Star Bits, and then Luma goes back to her presumably using this move. You can see this happen when DK has Rosalina grabbed and the same effect from the red Luma also appears on the green Luma suggesting this is the case; Rosalina pressed Side-B while grabbed to do it.

Neutral Special when a Luma is active
<- Yellow
<- No idea what this is, but she's only waving her wand
<- Red
<- Green?
Now, see, this doesn't make any sense if you think about it. All the colored Lumas do the same attacks with seemingly the same properties. That's why I think the color is random when they're summoned. Claiming that they act differently causes more irrational speculation.

@Green Luma: This is the only instance we see Luma using an aerial attack, this happens to be a down aerial. Rosalina used down-A while grabbed to do it.

I think when Luma is active, Rosalina can make Luma shoot Star Bits because I can't think of anything else. Luma is just standing, and doesn't look like it can be an up tilt or down tilt, we've already seen Rosalina's/Luma's up/forward/down smashes. So this is either a forward tilt or neutral special while Luma is active.

This is her forward air, the angle isn't high enough to be an up air. We haven't seen her neutral, up and back aerials yet.

I'm not entirely sure this is her taunt. It's the exact same animation as her Luma summoning. I think this is just her using it when the Luma is active so nothing happens except her animation. Or Sakurai just decided to use that animation as a taunt too, who knows.

<- Luma's taunt is <3
Considering how fast the gameplay was here, I'm not entirely sure it's Luma's taunt. It could just be an idle animation.

Oh nevermind, lol. I rewatched the video. This is certainly Luma's taunt.
???
<- Maybe forward tilt?
And I have no idea what this is, lol. I think it's a dash attack basing on how fast Luma is going but meh.

If I didn't explain my thoughts on your other speculations, then I agree with you.

That's unusually strong for a jab combo. I wonder if it's something else.
Let's not forget about Snake and Ike's jab in Brawl. Also Mario (and Luigi especially) have already taken damage clearly. The animation also matches a few other instances in the trailer where Rosalina does this jab and Luma does some punches.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's not forget about Snake and Ike's jab in Brawl. Also Mario (and Luigi especially) have already taken damage clearly. The animation also matches a few other instances in the trailer where Rosalina does this jab and Luma does some punches.
There might be more than that. I noticed that the first hit of this so called jab combo from both launches both Mario and Luigi off the ground slightly which raises more questions. Do we have counter hit properties now, and if so, do counter jabs have slight launch properties on CH?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
That could probably be just them at high percent.
Does anyone believe each of the Lumas will have their own stamina like Olimar's Pikmin?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
That could probably be just them at high percent.
Does anyone believe each of the Lumas will have their own stamina like Olimar's Pikmin?
Yeah, I think so. Maybe certain color Lumas will be more durable than others.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Her up and down air are the same. People seem to forget that before she showed her meteor smash she shot a ring out above her head. So she shares a similarity to the Villager.

Top Bottom