• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Community AMA Thread.

Nah

Smash Champion
-Do you prefer customs on or off?
-Do you play (not main, but as a secondary or just for fun) anyone else besides Robin?

8) Probably in the sci-fi setting of Xenosaga. As for how would I live in that world, I'd think it be cool to be one of the people looking for Lost Jerusalem, which actually refers to Earth after it was abandoned.
yay another Xenosaga fan

So a few Xenosaga related questions:
-Who is/are your favorite Xenosaga character(s)?
-Which of the 3 games did you like the best?
-How do you think that the series would've turned out if it ran for 6 episodes instead of 3 like it supposedly was originally planned to?

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Alright let me throws some questions into the nerd sea for @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal

1. How long have you been playing smash seriously for?

2. What attracted you to play Robin and if Robin wasn't in the game who would you play?

3. Where you feel like Robin is at on the tier list?

4. Any characters you have fighting as Robin outside of the obvious Shiek?

5. Changes you wanna see for Robin? Also Characters you wanna see buffed and nerfed?

6. Any favorite players you love to watch?

7. How is your local scene for smash 4 and the other games?

8. PM smash 4 edition yay, nah or meh?

9. How do you practice for tourneys and online do you focus on movement, shield and whiff punishment, spacing, patience etc etc?

10. Any other characters you use besides Robin for bad MU's?

11. Favorite Movie?

12. Are you a comic book nerd and if you are whats your favorite comic book series doesn't matter if American or not?

13. Favorite food?

14. Favorite FE game?

15. Favorite video game system?

16. Favorite anime if you have one?

17. Any other game you would take seriously and go hard body in outside of smash ?

18. Immortality but only if you can access it at the age of 25 + or time travel?

That's all I got to ask.
1. Depends on how you define "serious." If by serious, you mean competitively then the answer would be I don't play seriously. I have never entered a tournament, unless you count that one Robin only online tournament we did a while ago. If by serious, however, you just mean playing a lot of 1 v 1s and being interested in the metagame and trying to be a decent player, than I've been doing that since melee.

2. In other games, especially Tales, I tend to like the mage knight/red mage/mystic fencer/spell swordsman or whatever you want to call them. I also played Awakening a few months before the Robin reveal and I actually ended up liking Robin, not only as a unit but also as a character. A combination of those two reasons made me gravitate toward Robin and the moment I booted up Smash 3ds for the first time and played Robin in training for a few minutes, the character already felt natural to me. If Robin wasn't in Smash, I'm honestly not sure if I would still be playing Smash still since my previous Smash main, Marth just wasn't as fun for me to play anymore. It's not just that he got nerfed, it's also that he feels stiff and the way I enjoyed playing him in both Melee or Brawl is just not possible in Smash 4.

3. I personally feel Robin is a solid mid tier. I think people are sleeping on just how much certain customs really help Robin. The main reason for that, of course, is that no high profile players play custom Robin, not even Nairo. The closest thing we have, is of course @Raziek. Sooo, (waves EVO cheering flag) let's go Raz!

4. Do you mean characters you hate fighting as Robin? I actually don't mind fighting Shiek outside of needles. I hate fighting Sonic and a good Diddy though. Having said that, I haven't either of those two characters with customs yet so I don't know how that would affect about how I feel about those characters.

5. I feel that if you're gonna give me a really crappy, slow grab with poor range than at the very least Robin should have a dthrow that true combos into Levin uair or Fair at low to mid percents OR a slightly better grab. Only one or the other though, I don't think both are necessary. Actually, as someone who also played Snake in Brawl I think it would be cool if one of the Nosferatu customs was called "Mire" and it functioned more of a trap/landmine instead of a command grab. As far as characters I wanna see buffed are Zelda, Charizard, and Falco (please give the dair back). I also would like to see Marth get a slight buff in his fair but only slight, or it would just be Brawl all over again. I'm more for buffing characters than nerfing and the main nerf I want to see is a nerf to Sheik's needles.

6. Nairo by far.

7. What is this "local scene" you speak of? Haha. I remember telling you that I live in NY but I should've been clear and specified upstate NY closer to Canada, where the local scene for any competitive game isn't really strong. I THINK there might be monthlies at a university nearby and that is something I've been considering attending for a while actually.

8. I wouldn't mind that. More smash games to play is fine by me.

9. Again, never attended a tournament. What I have been doing more of lately, however, is recording every one of my matches (I don't count For Glory), eventually re-watch them, and try to figure what I did wrong and what I did right and go from there. Also, after playing with Raziek a month or two ago, I have been trying to be more cognizant of my positioning on the stage and how to establish stage control.

10. I have been thinking of picking up Fox actually as a secondary for that purpose.

11. Monty Python: The Life of Brian. It speaks to me as an academic who specializes in biblical studies but likes to joke around with the Bible and tries to incorporate humor when teaching his students biblical stories. I feel people, including religious people, tend to dismiss religion and humor as mutually exclusive when in reality, they're not.

12. I don't read comic books but I grew up watching the old school superhero cartoons in the 90's, Batman and X-men being my favorite.

13. Pho (It's actually spelled a bit differently but I don't know if Smashboards have diacritical marks). For those who don't know what it is, it's basically Vietnamese thin vermicelli noodles in a broth made from various types of meats. It's often paired with uncooked meat that you actually let cook in the broth right before you eat. Here's a picture. And yes, I'm Viet and proud of it.

14. I don't really have one because the only one's I played so far are Awakening and Blazing Sword/Rekka no Ken. Oh, and the first half of Shadow Dragons, which I tend to forget about. Deliberately.

15. PS2. It had all the JRPGs back then, including many cult hits like Shadow Hearts and Xenosaga.

16. Gintama despite its gazillion hiatuses.

17. Honestly, probably not, the closest probably being some soft of Arcsys fighting game (new BB just announced recently by the way).

18. Time traveling for all the reasons everyone before me said.

@ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal
1) Do you have any hobbies?
2) what's your most played game of all time, or what do you think is your most played game.
3) were you planning on maining Robin since he was announced or did you decide later on.
4) if you could be any character in smash who would you be?
5) what do you like most about Robins moveset?
1) I am a really big foodie (in case my unnecessarily long post about my favorite food didn't hint at that). As we got older, my friends' and my idea of hanging eventually devolved to just looking for new places to eat. I occasionally do some reading on the side but unfortunately reading 1000 pages per week for school made me associate reading with work so I don't read as much as I use to anymore. My main hobbies though are video games (naturally) and taking walks. Oh, and everyone once in a blue moon (or less) I write poetry.

2) It's probably either Symphonia or Smash.

3) I was planning on maining Robin before she was announced. A friend of mine thought I was crazy for thinking Robin would get in before Chrom and said that he would eat his shoe if that ever happened. I'm still waiting for him to send a picture of him fulfilling his promise.

4) This might sound like a cop-out but I'd probably want to be Robin, since I share the most similarities with Robin when compared to the rest of the cast.

5) I like that playing as Robin makes you feel like you're actually playing a rpg character. There's a lot of magic and inventory management with Robin and deciding which spell is most appropriate for the situation, just like in a rpg.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
If you had to choose five characters to remove from 4, whose fanbase would you piss off? Let's say excluding clone characters (Luicina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario).

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
@Chapter Serf thanks for the clarification. And yes, I subscribe to that theory.

-Do you prefer customs on or off?
-Do you play (not main, but as a secondary or just for fun) anyone else besides Robin?

yay another Xenosaga fan

So a few Xenosaga related questions:
-Who is/are your favorite Xenosaga character(s)?
-Which of the 3 games did you like the best?
-How do you think that the series would've turned out if it ran for 6 episodes instead of 3 like it supposedly was originally planned to?
Customs on. I use to play a decent amount of Marth, Shulk and the occasional custom Palutena. But I stopped playing them for the most part and as I said in response to gamegenie, I am thinking of playing Fox as a secondary.

My favorite Xenosaga character is by far Albedo, whom I just found to be immensely fascinating, both for his great lines and interesting backstory. I enjoyed all 3 Xenosaga games (although I admittedly still have reservations about 2's combat) but I think my favorite is 3. While it was obviously rushed and had a disappointing last battle it had a lot of good moments and I liked the gameplay the most in that iteration. It also succeeded in getting me to love Kos-mos as a character and not just as an awesome weapon of mass destruction. The change in the intonation of her voice when she awakens, heavenly. And Hepatica is an absolutely beautiful track.

Technically 4 games if you want to count that one super obscure mobile game that revolved around Ziggy back when he was human. I think 6 games might have stretched out the story a bit too much but I do think it could've used another game that shows and explains what happens between game 2 and 3, instead of just glossing over them briefly in 3.

If you had to choose five characters to remove from 4, whose fanbase would you piss off? Let's say excluding clone characters (Luicina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario).
Oh, this is a hard question and for all intents and purposes I'm going to ignore dlc characters. Let's see if I had cut 5 characters from 4 aside from the obvious 3, then I would choose Bowser Jr., Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and 2 of the 3 mii fighters, probably brawler and swordsman.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
What's your main DLC wish, if any?
Mainly Isaac and Snake. Also, while I don't particularly care for the character I do think K. Rool deserves to be in, or rather, deserved to be in since melee or at least brawl.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I want to ask some questions but I feel that most of the generic ones have been asked.
What is your favourite season? Also, what is the weather conditions you prefer?
Are there any tricks/ways you like to style on your opponents?
Are there any custom moves you would want to give Robin/another character to make them better or more interesting?
Do you have a favourite fruit?
Do you have a waifu?
I'm also curious what your favourite colour is.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I want to ask some questions but I feel that most of the generic ones have been asked.
What is your favourite season? Also, what is the weather conditions you prefer?
Are there any tricks/ways you like to style on your opponents?
Are there any custom moves you would want to give Robin/another character to make them better or more interesting?
Do you have a favourite fruit?
Do you have a waifu?
I'm also curious what your favourite colour is.
My favorite season is fall and my favorite weather conditions is low 50s with cloudy skies, no rain.
In terms of tricks I often like to fake out my opponent by pretending to throw the book until I see them flinch. Overall, however, I am hardly a flashy player.
Already mentioned this but basically I think it'd be cool if Robin had a trap version of Nosferatu to mix things up.
My favorite fruits are bananas and strawberries. Bonus points if they're mixed together.
I don't really have a waifu. Closest probably would be :4robinf: but a lot is just because of all the time and effort put to working with her to defeat my opponents in both Awakening and Smash.
Purple followed by black.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I'm not quite sure what to ask so I'll try something

1. What do you think is the best piece of advice to someone who'd be graduating/in their last year of high school and would be heading out into the world?

2. What would you think is a good skill for everyone to have for the real world? (ex; money management, time savers, certain knowledge about things)

3. What do you think has more value to it; A real thing, or a copy of something trying to be just like the real thing?

Does the true thing have more worth to it in light that it's the original? Or would you say that because the copy is trying to achieve to what the original was given, that the copy has more value in it?

For more personal ones:

4. Do you have a favorite genre of music? A favorite artist/composer?

5. What type of books do you prefer to read?

6. Do you have a really fond moment of playing smash? Like one moment that really stands out to you over all the others?

7. If you would want any aesthetic DLC additions to Robin (new costumes, palette swaps, color variations, etc.) what would you want?

8. If Chrom were to be added into smash, what do you think would be the new Final Smash for Robin since summoning Chrom wouldn't really fit well when he could already be fighting. What about Chrom's Final Smash?

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I'm not quite sure what to ask so I'll try something

1. What do you think is the best piece of advice to someone who'd be graduating/in their last year of high school and would be heading out into the world?

2. What would you think is a good skill for everyone to have for the real world? (ex; money management, time savers, certain knowledge about things)

3. What do you think has more value to it; A real thing, or a copy of something trying to be just like the real thing?

Does the true thing have more worth to it in light that it's the original? Or would you say that because the copy is trying to achieve to what the original was given, that the copy has more value in it?

For more personal ones:

4. Do you have a favorite genre of music? A favorite artist/composer?

5. What type of books do you prefer to read?

6. Do you have a really fond moment of playing smash? Like one moment that really stands out to you over all the others?

7. If you would want any aesthetic DLC additions to Robin (new costumes, palette swaps, color variations, etc.) what would you want?

8. If Chrom were to be added into smash, what do you think would be the new Final Smash for Robin since summoning Chrom wouldn't really fit well when he could already be fighting. What about Chrom's Final Smash?
1. Best piece of advice I can give to someone graduating high school and about to enter either college or the workforce is to be able to establish good relationships. Naturally, this is all-encompassing and includes maintaining healthy relationships with friends and loved ones, but I'm going to focus on superiors such as bosses and teachers. You need to be humble and see them as potential resources and learn from them. Admittedly, there is an element of self-interest in this; these are the people who will write you recommendations and become your references. If you don't at least attempt to establish a good relationship with them, than they won't be able to give a good recommendation because they don't know you. Social connection is a valuable capital to have.

2. Learn how to cook. You will save considerably more money once you become a half-competent cook and although it might be rough at first, it can actually be pretty fun and therapeutic once you get used to cooking several recipes you're comfortable cooking with. Also, everyone loves a good cook.

3. Neither is inherently more valuable than the other since values 1) are ascribed to objects by humans and 2) are contingent on the context.

4. My favorite genre of music is metal, but more specifically opera, power, gothic metal. Don't ask me what this means because the adjectives have become so arbitrary in metal culture that no one knows what they mean anymore, haha. Just know that I don't mean scream-o metal. I like my metal singers opera trained. My favorite band is Kamelot and my favorite song is Center of the Universe.

5. If I do read, I tend to read non-fiction theological books or texts. Admittedly, they're not always the most entertaining but I view them as part of my training.

6. Not counting summer and winter break, I live by myself in upstate NY where I work and I actually like living alone but with one exception; being by yourself during holidays sucks. A bit before last Thanksgiving, I was starting to feel miserable because my sisters in MA, for various reasons, couldn't visit me. But then my friends in NYC invited me over for Thanksgiving, saying they were planning on cooking their own meal and play 8-player Smash since the Wii U version just came out. So I went and had a blast, and felt a lot closer to my friends afterwards. I also was introduced to their friends via Smash and we became fast friends. I also just had a good time since I was clearly dominating everyone and everyone was hating on me and :4robinf: . They just couldn't handle the tactics yo.

7. I would like a Soren alt/palette for :4robinm: and a Katarina one for :4robinf:. I also want a Grima alt, complete with the dark purple aura, distorted voice, and expiration final Smash just so we can add another villain into the roster.

8. If Chrom was added into Smash, I think Robin's FS can remain the same but just replace Chrom with Morgan. That way you can have your adorable children praise you on your victory screen. For Chrom's FS can be a power-up special called "Awakening" and his Falchion would deal increased damage, shield damage, knockback, have quicker start-up, etc.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
What's your favorite country that you've never lived in?
I have a feeling I would like Hong Kong a lot. Lots of good, cheap food, a bustling city atmosphere, many cultural sites, and it's the place where a lot of big name martial arts stars got their start. I'm a big fan of martial arts film and at one point, Hong Kong dominated that market. People also often assume I'm Chinese, especially (ironically) other Chinese people who would randomly come up to me and ask me for directions in Cantonese or Mandarin. In other words, I wouldn't even stand out in Hong Kong as well.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Since I'm Vietnamese, I admittedly do bear some similar ethnic features to Chinese people. It also doesn't help that we (as in Vietnamese and Chinese people) also have many cultural similarities and the fact that for the longest time Vietnam was just part of China.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, EVO was inevitably going to drag this week down in its final days, but it was overall a solid week as well.

As usual, the voting period begins now and ends next morning on Monday. Tallying in my initial vote.

And yes, I am aware of the changes needed to the OP. Haven't been in the best of states myself so I'll get to them soon.

- @Chapter Serf - 2
- @ Elezir Elezir - 7
- @

Last edited:

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I'm gonna vote for @ Elezir Elezir because bandwagoning is too mainstream :estatic:

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I'm just waiting for I to be interviewed LMAO.
I suppose you'll get your chance another day week.

Don't worry, I think most of us here are wanting to be interviewed.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The voting weeks haven't presented much variety as is due to bandwagoning, so there's rarely any sort of close competition once the wagon gets rolling.

Take now, for instance, Elezir's competition is nil unless 5 votes for Serf or 7 votes for anyone else come in before tomorrow morning.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Well, this is a surprise oO Didn't expect to be voted so soon.

If it does get through, I suppose I will have a full week.

Well, having bandwagons is probably good for deciding on things quickier. It also means that people who don't post as often in the Social will be rarely voted on, though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's very obviously going to get through. Almost no way that 5-7 votes can come in overnight.

Technically I could update it tonight because the result is obvious as hell, but I wait until the next day to keep it consistent.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sorry I'm late to the party.

INTERVIEW PERIOD #6 - @ Elezir Elezir - misspells galore

As the vote was unanimous, Elezir's interview period begins today. Ask questions, and this period shall end Monday, July 27th.

Happy asking.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
So one of the first things I thought about asking you @ Elezir Elezir is where you came up with your name?

What are some other game series you enjoy playing?

What's your favorite animal?

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
So Elezir, what is your all time favorite food?

Also, which path will you choose for FE Fates?

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
So Elezir, what's your favourite stage to play on in smash bros?
Is the glass half empty, half full or something else entirely?
What's your favourite type of clock or time telling device?

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
@ Elezir Elezir

What's your fav pokemon and why?

Do you like customs on or off/Do you like customs?

What's your fav and least fav char to face in a match?

What's your least fav char in general?

What got you into Smash?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
- Favourite Ace Attorney case?
- Favourite character from the series?
Matt Engarde: guilty or not guilty? Save your friend, but let an innocent person take the blame, or save the innocent, but at the cost of a friend's life?

Top Bottom