• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

D

Deleted member

I don't think R&P will be in the base game but here's something to counter the Skye Bennett talking point: the Torna DLC story trailer was in Japanese (super hyped for that btw), presumably because the English lines haven't been recorded yet. If R&P are in the base game Skye would most likely record her lines at the same time she does the Xenoblade 2 story ones. I think Elma will be in the base game and R&P will be DLC, but there's still a little hope for them left.

------

I'm thinking the best way to implement Pyra into Rex's moveset is to just bite the bullet and make her vulnerable to attacks. Make sure she has a good recovery though. To defend herself she could use grounded and aerial smashes like Robin's levin sword, so she'd always have a move available no matter what gamestate she's in. To keep things snappy there would have to be little to no frame penalty during the "weapon toss" since that's the crux of this Smash concept. It'd be super cool if while Pyra would default to a position slightly behind Rex, moving during an attack would make you directly control Pyra/Rex depending on who used the attack to position them for a followup. The tradeoff for her dying would be that you could no longer perform team combos as a single character with the two's giant sword hitboxes that would emulate Fusion Combos, and obviously there'd be some kind of penalty to Rex to counteract the potential Blade Art buffs and max affinity bonus (maybe she could transform into Mythra for that). So basically she'd be exploitable if you separated Driver from Blade especially since they'd lose all buffs associated with their link, but she'd still have ways to get back on stage and defend herself without Rex. They'd be balanced by the fact that a well played R&P could unleash absolutely devastating team combos and truly live up to being a feared Driver and Blade combo when together though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Im surprised people aren't giving the "Blades stand in the back while Rex fights" idea more thought since Trainer is coming back.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Im surprised people aren't giving the "Blades stand in the back while Rex fights" idea more thought since Trainer is coming back.
itll be due to there being less newcomers are hopes of seeing him have dropped

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Sharing this quote from the Elma thread:
The mystery leak kinda was deconfirmed though. Samurai Goro is confirmed as an AT and well to me it was obvious it was riding off the Vergeben Leak.

As for Rex & Pyra, I feel they are more likely then Elma at this point, because of how Sakurai handled this games roster. I feel the pool for the newcomers are what ranked high in the ballot and whats in the early years of the switch and its obvious to me that the biggest priority was bringing all veterans back.

PT was a character that took alot of effort to create in Brawl, so I can only imaging it took some time to build him up from scratch(minus Charizard)
Getting all the rights of all the 3rd parties again would also be a challenge, especially with Konami and Square Enix, but atleast with those they could port from 4
Ice Climbers I suppose also took a bit off effort, because I believe besides being impossible on 3DS, I believe there where also problems with 8 player smash(could be wrong though)
The other veterans also needed new models an animations and Sakurai already said Ridley took alot of effort to make possible

As of Elma in the ballot, think we overestimate her chances, because Japan was lukewarm to X when it released and she had to duke it out with K.rool, Ridley, Cloud, cut veterans etc., so basically characters that had solid support groups since Melee or Brawl and when they revealed Bayonetta as the Ballot winner, was also arround when X released in the west, so her western support was way to small imo when they held the ballot.

Another advantage Rex & Pyra have is that their game was in development since 2014 and its confirmed that even games from last year can have content (New Donk City is confirmed and remember that in Brawl, it was vice versa, because there was no Galaxy content, even though Brawl released a few months later). Also Sakurai said he played Xenoblade 2 in his free time last year and praised it, so I feel thats worth mentioning to.

The only disadvantages I guess is Pyra's voice actor(which also has counterarguments) and that we only will get a few newcomers, but honestly now that PT is back, she could just be a background character and I would be more worried if Rex's voice actor denied it.
If they miss the baseroster, I feel they will be near guaranteed for DLC.

Do note, I would not mind Elma (heck she had my favorite playstyle from the X characters), but after the E3 reveal it has become clear Sakurai is doing this roster selection way different then before and i'm honestly only expecting 5 newcomers left at base to round out the roster at 70, and I feel they are Simon Belmont, K.rool, a pokemon rep, and 2 wild card reps.

Rex and Pyra could be one of those wild cards, because they are also a bit off a Corrin/Greninja situation and Sakurai playing their game in his "free time" could also have been research and I could easily see them as the last character finalized because of this.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
man the xenoblade 2 dlc looks so good after five minutes of it on treehouse i want rex and addam in smash

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So did anyone else hear about what Skye Bennett tweeted about?
https://twitter.com/skyedevabennett/status/1006845104823382016?s=19
She's working on an exciting project "outside of Xenoblade 2"
There's many ways to interperet this, but it does leave the possibilty of still being about smash. Adam Howden did tweet something similar and then Shulk ended up in smash.

There are other possibilities, like outside of XC2 could be less literally and apply to voicing Xenoblade 2 character all together. An exciting project can be things even outside of games. Something like doctor who for example would probably be a big deal.

But still this could be just the counter we need for that one statement said made about not having a role in smash. Since it could be that she just now got offered.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, after seeing the new footage on Torna: The Golden Country, do you guys think Rex and Pyra's moveset will be more based on that than the base game?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, after seeing the new footage on Torna: The Golden Country, do you guys think Rex and Pyra's moveset will be more based on that than the base game?
I think they’ll still be based on the base game, and if we do indeed get Addam and Mythra as Echo Fighters, their gameplay will be based on Torna’s gameplay instead.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If there's no XB2 newcomer planned, would Malos still have a chance? I can't imagine an Echo disrupting development as much as a newcomer addition, so he could work as a way of ensuring there's some XB2 content.

As an Echo I think he'd work really well. Monado Arts all just modify attributes and Echoes can only be different attributes/particles/voices on the same character. So if you record a different set of voice lines and recolor his particles he could have totally different Monado Arts. Under the hood it's still the same attack, but it has a different kanji, color and alters different properties. Malos could have all new Monado Arts this way - without breaking what defines an Echo fighter.
  • Monado Cyclone: Improves aerial frame data and movespeed while worsening ground frame data and movespeed. Also improves Air Slash like Monado Jump does.
  • Monado Eater: Grants lifesteal while reducing damage
  • Monado Armor: Grants superarmor while removing your ability to knock enemies around
  • Monado Buster Logos: Greatly increases Smash attack and Special attack speed while removing the ability to charge Smash attacks and decreasing his overall move speed. In other words, Smash attacks come out near instantly but can't be held.
  • Monado Jail: Increases hitstun when attacking foes and when being attacked, allowing for more combos
  • Not a Monado Art, but instead of yelling "Backslash!" he now yells "Striker Edge!", an attack he used as the Aegis.
All of these can be accomplished by just changing attributes, voices and particles. Everything else he shares with Shulk; attack animations, basic frame data, the works.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After trying XC2's Challenge Mode for a bit:
I could see Rex & Pyra's trailer as the following:

Shulk and his group are having a hard time fighting Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings after what he did to Jr.'s father long ago.

"This is a bad situation, if only they were here to give us a hand..."

Then a blue wormhole appears out of the blue and... you can guess what happens next.

Last edited by a moderator:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
There's many ways to interperet this, but it does leave the possibilty of still being about smash. Adam Howden did tweet something similar and then Shulk ended up in smash.

There are other possibilities, like outside of XC2 could be less literally and apply to voicing Xenoblade 2 character all together. An exciting project can be things even outside of games. Something like doctor who for example would probably be a big deal.

But still this could be just the counter we need for that one statement said made about not having a role in smash. Since it could be that she just now got offered.
I recall Skye Bennet also is more a rookie voice actor. Like I think she even said it was a bit of a miracle, they chose her for the Xenoblade 2 dub, because well she is someone that tried different fields before trying voice acting.(Correct me if i'm wrong though, my mind could be hazy).

I can atleast say this, she is not someone like Matt Mercer, who is casted for alot and I feel Skye is more on the level of Xander Mobus, who's career basically took off after his inclusion as the announcer for Smash Bros, so I feel this could also be the case for Skye.
If I was a starting Voice actor, looking for more job offers, I would also try to get enough big projects to fill out my resume, so that I would be selected faster for new projects and Smash is imo the definition for big project :p

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
As of Elma in the ballot, think we overestimate her chances, because Japan was lukewarm to X when it released and she had to duke it out with K.rool, Ridley, Cloud, cut veterans etc., so basically characters that had solid support groups since Melee or Brawl and when they revealed Bayonetta as the Ballot winner, was also around when X released in the west, so her western support was way to small imo when they held the ballot.
I just looked up the Ballot's voting period. April 1st, 2015 - October 3rd, 2015. Xenoblade X wasn't even released internationally yet. Any votes she could've gotten would've been exclusively from Japan (unless of course you own a Japanese Wii U).

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think that Rex and Pyra are unlikely for the base game. Sakurai decides on his Rosters at the start of development, and Xenoblade 2 had not been released then. They will most likely be DLC, if anything.

Personally, I love the idea of them both being on stage, like Ice Climbers, and some sort of Down B that lets you throw the sword to Pyra so she can attack for a bit. It's the most interesting, and having them play like they do in the cutscenes would be hype. I made moveset on page 3 if any of you are interested.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I just looked up the Ballot's voting period. April 1st, 2015 - October 3rd, 2015. Xenoblade X wasn't even released internationally yet. Any votes she could've gotten would've been exclusively from Japan (unless of course you own a Japanese Wii U).
Yeah and Japan wasn't that blown away by X either, because of how different it was from the original.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Another advantage Rex & Pyra have is that their game was in development since 2014 and its confirmed that even games from last year can have content (New Donk City is confirmed and remember that in Brawl, it was vice versa, because there was no Galaxy content, even though Brawl released a few months later). Also Sakurai said he played Xenoblade 2 in his free time last year and praised it, so I feel thats worth mentioning to.
I want to correct something from the comment. Galaxy didn't get into Brawl because Super Mario Galaxy and Brawl were planned to both release in 2017 and around the same time (Smash was later pushed back a month and a half in Japan). Super Mario Odyssey released in 2017 and will have released a whole year before SSBU does. For Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it will be over a year. Greninja was about 11 months for SSB4, so it would not be as unbelievable as folks made it out to be.

What makes it interesting is that she got this probably a day after they announced SSBU. I think the timing is very peculiar. Given that she claimed she didn't have any gigs lined up in the interview with Jay RPG a few weeks ago, it would be improbable it was for something else.

Also RawstyleEevee RawstyleEevee Palutena's VA was different between Kid Icarus Uprising and SSB4, so its not impossible for them to change Rex if his VA can't do it (though he is voiced in the DLC)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Rex and Pyra's rerate in the RTC, come out and show support to keep them at the top of the chance chart.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Personally, I think Rex and Pyra have a better shot than Elma.

We have BotW and Super Mario Odyssey content in Ultimate. I think Ultimate wants to fix Smash's past problem of being "late to the punch" with console game representation, usually having stages/assets from games in a previous generation as opposed to the console Smash is currently on.

Ultimate already has key Switch content in BotW and SMO. They could easily not only have Xenoblade 2, but also ARMS stuff as well.

I honestly feel like Simon Belmont (DasVergeben Leak), King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Springman and Rex/Pyra will be our wholesale newcomers for Smash Ultimate, along with Shadow, Dark Samus, Chrom and Dixie Kong being Echo Fighters.

Edit: I'll also point out Xenoblade Chronicles X's lukewarm reception in Japan, and Sakurai personally praising Xenoblade 2. I don't have sales figures for either, so I can't bank on those.

It's still a longshot, but I wouldn't say it's impossible, even with the limited amount of newcomers we are apparently getting (DasVergeben is saying "at least half a dozen" after Simon Belmont) and because Sakurai is making a huge contextual distinction between Echo Fighters and regular characters, I don't think Echo Fighters plays into that smaller pool of newcomers to expect.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I honestly feel like Simon Belmont (DasVergeben Leak), King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Springman and Rex/Pyra will be our wholesale newcomers for Smash Ultimate, along with Shadow, Dark Samus, Chrom and Dixie Kong being Echo Fighters./QUOTE]

Aside from Shadow and Chrom, I would be perfectly content with that as our newcomer selection. I personally would rather havbe Octoling as an Echo Fighter, myself.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I mention Shadow and Chrom based off what we (haven't) seen so far.

Robin is the only FE character who's Final Smash has not been shown (and there's only a small number of characters who haven't shown their FS yet in a cast of 65). Coupled with Chrom's continued popularity and being one of the primary "faces" of the series, a case can be made for him as an Echo. Perhaps as an Ike Echo since we already have Lucina as a Marth Echo and Chrom just feels a bit more "in your face" compared to the fencing Marth.

Shadow's AT is MIA, and Knuckles AT has been immediately shown in its place. Shadow continues to get playable roles in his home series and has a huge following in the Sonic fanbase, second only to Sonic himself. I'd say he'd be a good contender, as well.

As for Octolings? I could see them, yes. If not in the base game, then perhaps have DLC if DLC is offered and if it offers Echo Characters. I guess it depends on how quickly Sakurai knew about the Octo Expansion when making the Inklings, and whether or not he plans on adding a sizable helping of Echos even if the newcomer list is small (because of adding all the vets back).

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Not been active in the pre-Ultimate speculation and such like I was pre-Smash 4 and even pre Brawl (outside this site mostly)... but I want to just drop in and toss my support and belief in Rex/Pyra being a thing.

I believe they've got great DLC potential. Their too recent I feel to be in the release most likely, but their appearance could be like how Corrin made it in. I do believe we can expect a few more release newcomers, but I don't think they'll be among them just because XC2 came out so recently in the development cycle for Smash Ultimate. Of course, there's a chance Sakurai got early access to the game and it's design ideas to influence him, but I don't see them being a character that could be easily "rushed".

Maybe a bit optimistic, but I've read a few times how Sakurai is a fan of Xenoblade. I am too, so I'm hoping for some more reps. In the Smash 4 DLC time, Elma was one of my admittedly more distant hopes just for more Xeno representation, and cuz she was cool with good unique moveset potential. Arguably, Rex & Pyra are even more interesting characters to represent the Xeno series in terms of personality and popularity, but in a perfect world... Shulk would have both Elma and Rex/Pyra as fellow Xenoblade representatives in Smash.

Anyways, good luck all. I went 1 out of 2 for what was left of my long time desired newcomers going back to pre-brawl, and the other got AT treatment, which is better than nothing for me. Plus all my fav vets returning... I'm pretty satisfied. So why not voice a more recent desire that's still got a shot? A total cherry on top if it were to happen, but why not dream of your choice of topping, right? Of all the things I can think of that I really want that's even left, this is probably the most likely.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom When you refer to facial expressions, you mean these right?
XC2-Rex-facial-expressions-artwork.jpg

XC2-Pyra-facial-expressions-artwork.jpg

I feel like the ones that should matter are these which unfortunately don't have a date unless someone here can read Japanese.

XC2-Pyra-concept-art.jpg

XC2-Rex-concept-art.jpg

It's kinda weird that person is using Rex & Pyra's facial expressions for lateness when everyone else had their facial expressions done around the same time. The lack of a date for an outline/colored version is odd.

Who here actually owns the Xenoblade 2 artbook? Are those concept arts of Rex & Pyra found anywhere?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom When you refer to facial expressions, you mean these right?

I feel like the ones that should matter are these which unfortunately don't have a date unless someone here can read Japanese.

It's kinda weird that person is using Rex & Pyra's facial expressions for lateness when everyone else had their facial expressions done around the same time. The lack of a date for an outline/colored version is odd.

Who here actually owns the Xenoblade 2 artbook? Are those concept arts of Rex & Pyra found anywhere?
I own the artbook. What do you want me to look for? I will say those artwork you posted are in the artbook plus some additional ones detailing individual piecies of their outfits.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Those are all from the art book. If you ever want to find it, the Xeno Game general on 4Chan has the link which is where I got it. Also, the dates are written like a normal date (may look different as it would use the international standard) so those don't have one.

Using dates on some artwork doesn't mean much. That was just when that particular piece was finished. They also aren't showing you all the concept so characters would obviously exist before the dates. But a lot of people get it in their head that there is some mythical date when everything was decided and some things can't be in as a result. I think people are changing their tune now that we know there will be a Mario Odyssey stage (which came out Oct 2017). But people will believe what they want.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure Rex is a strong enough protagonist, thanks in part to that dub.. but I'll take any XC2 rep I can get.

I REALLY want Adam after that dlc was shown. but sadly he's not the face of the game. And if we can please get a Malos echo for that 10/10 VA

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure Rex is a strong enough protagonist, thanks in part to that dub.. but I'll take any XC2 rep I can get.

I REALLY want Adam after that dlc was shown. but sadly he's not the face of the game. And if we can please get a Malos echo for that 10/10 VA
actually that dlc is getting a separate release so you never know

if dlc is confirmed ill be starting an adam thread

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I myself am a huge Rex & Pyra supporter. I think having some sort of play style that has Pyra supporting Rex (maybe like partners/teammates in MvC). He’d be nothing like Shulk, so that’s always nice.

I’m not sure what to make out if the statements from Skye Bennet, but I kinda have a feeling that with 6 months to go, that’s plenty of time to get lines done for Smash and get a trailer out. If they aren’t showing the character or allowing them to be played, I can’t imagine that it’s a huge deal to work on the lines late.

I mean sure, voice lines take some time to do. But I can’t imagine it would take a huge load of time that it couldn’t be done in under a week, right?

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I do want to see Rex but I want Elma more I hope we get both monolith soft is making so much games plains for Nintendo.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I’m not sure what to make out if the statements from Skye Bennet, but I kinda have a feeling that with 6 months to go, that’s plenty of time to get lines done for Smash and get a trailer out. If they aren’t showing the character or allowing them to be played, I can’t imagine that it’s a huge deal to work on the lines late.

I mean sure, voice lines take some time to do. But I can’t imagine it would take a huge load of time that it couldn’t be done in under a week, right?
I remember at E3 2017 during the Treehouse Live of Xenobalde Chronicles 2 that they were starting work on the dub. Xenoblade came out right around the same time of the year as Smash will. Also, I expect the process is different than other games as there are so many characters and a lot from different companies. It may be done when they can set it up. In Skye's case, I figure they waiting till after it was announced to avoid any information getting out about the game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Some might say this throws a wrench at us but we know the game was in development since 2015, I say we might have gotten ourselves into another Greninja style situation.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Some might say this throws a wrench at us but we know the game was in development since 2015, I say we might have gotten ourselves into another Greninja style situation.
It was in deveolpment since 2014 actually. This really doesn't change much for us since we figured the project plan was around that time period anyway and we were already banking on a greninja sitatuion in the first place. It could techically make the possibilty less likely, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I don't know, not to be pessimistic but we have to ask why Greninja was put in the situation he was. It was clear how huge pokemon was at the time of smash 4's development. Just the idea of adding in "popular pokemon X" sounds like enough to impress. Can we say the same about Xenoblade at the time? I mean sure maybe, given its popularity was rising at the time, X did really well for a Wii U game. However to me that makes Elma seem more attractive as an addition than "new Xenoblade character" (especially given the fact the game was complete and the characters had defined gamestyles at the time).

Please don't take this as Rex hate; I personally would love for Rex and Pyra to be added (and I still am siding on the fact that they will be added). However we can't completely ignore this factor as a detractor, even if it doesn't add much to what we already assumed.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Their timing has always made them more of a DLC prospect in my eyes. So this doesn't exactly change anything many were assuming.

Besides, I think I'd be happier with a character designed from a more hands on experience from Sakurai, rather than something designed off maybe some early info he acquired. Any sort of story connection to the characters and their likability would come from having played the game himself. Plus, seeing the game's success post release could be an influence too. And last, more time to work on what would arguably be a character with complex mechanics and animations.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played Xenoblade before. I'm planning on getting Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for my 3DS, though. I support!

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm fairly convinced Rex and Pyra will be in. The game was in development from 2014 until its release last year. I imagine the positive reception Shulk got let MonolithSoft be a little willing to share their new main leads for Sakurai as well as what the two were capable of, and likely just that to avoid potential spoilers for Mythra and Pneuma. Rex and Pyra, Decidueye, Geno, an ARMS rep, maybe Simon Belmont if said leak is true and Bandana Waddle Dee or K. Rool I feel are the best overall bets for the remaining newcomers that aren't echo fighters

Top Bottom