• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
Best of luck to you with life, Armada. :)

With you gone and Melee having a very possible appearance at EVO, it seems like a new era is about to begin and I have the feeling that it's gonna be a great one for the Smash community.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Armada doesn't have to prove anything and if anything his dedication and drive to be the best should be an inspiration for anyone at any level competing at EVO/Genesis 3.

:phone:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I respect the decision, though it is very disappointing to see before EVO and Genesis 3. Good luck with everything, Armada!

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* ah well.

Good games, Armada. You're a brilliant competitor. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do from here on out.
Thank you so much for not saying that this was your cue to say goodbye to melee too. That would have been crushing.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
this is pathetic to admit but i have been crying the past 10 minutes
I'll admit I came close after watching Samox's Update #20 showing Armada gazing into the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKmC_uKuRlQ

Skip to 1:37 for super feels. For extra unbearable feels, my response:

"That look on Armada's face. His final admiration toward this game he's played for so many years striving to be the best. Little did he know at this point in the tourney that he would soon accomplish this. That symbolic moment from 1:37 - 1:56. "If you want to win, you have to do it"

I don't know what to do with all these feels."

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
This is truly a sad day, why i can still feel joy at the thought that such a good, intelligent, and respectful player was the undisputed king for so long, i can still remember punching the air in exictment and aw when you 3-0 mango in Apex 2012, and of this Apex as well. I don't main peach, don't think i will either, but the way you played was simply brilliant, everything executed to the up-most perfection, such solid movement from a character i believed was a stick in the mud. You will always be remembered as the new, TRUE king of smash. I truly hope whatever diffuculties you have in your life is d-smashed into oblivion, May the star of the north sky forever ilumnate your path.

BTW, my 9 year old brother is a huge fan, he's always told me you were gawdlike, i just told him now about your retirement, he's been crying for 5 mins now.

Hey but don't worry, always be aware that your throne will be impeccable when you come back :bee:

:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:c:mad::mad::mad::bee::urg::urg::(:c:c:c

Mahone

Smash Champion
I'll admit I came close after watching Samox's Update #20 showing Armada gazing into the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKmC_uKuRlQ

Skip to 1:37 for super feels. For extra unbearable feels, my response:

"That look on Armada's face. His final admiration toward this game he's played for so many years striving to be the best. Little did he know at this point in the tourney that he would soon accomplish this. That symbolic moment from 1:37 - 1:56. "If you want to win, you have to do it"

I don't know what to do with all these feels."
you wrote if u have to win you have to lose

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I wish Armada would come back one last time at say EVO or Genesis or something major and not enter but be his own side event lol. Basically gives everyone one last chance to play him or MM in a best of 3 or perhaps in M2K, PP, etc case a best of 5. Would be hilarious and hype IMO, and for M2K I feel like it would be the perfect chance for him to retire from melee as well (assuming he truly wants to). Regardless, I respect his decision to quit and wonder how melee's meta will change. I'll probably follow it a lot less now.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I have since corrected my comment. Check below on the video.
ya, but you wrote ur post like u were quoting ur youtube post

plus its hella confusing since people were dumb enough to vote it up without even reading it apparently

also, its sorta weird to just correct it since u said

"That symbolic moment..."

when you didn't even realize what he said

saying "to win you have to do it" and "to win you have to lose" are two VERY different things

"to lose" doesn't even make sense in the context of what he was talking about at ALL

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THE MADNESS IN THIS POST????

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
ya, but you wrote ur post like u were quoting ur youtube post

plus its hella confusing since people were dumb enough to vote it up without even reading it apparently

also, its sorta weird to just correct it since u said

"That symbolic moment..."

when you didn't even realize what he said

saying "to win you have to do it" and "to win you have to lose" are two VERY different things

"to lose" doesn't even make sense in the context of what he was talking about at ALL

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THE MADNESS IN THIS POST????
I have since removed my upvoted post. I think "If you want to win you have to do it." can have greater meaning other than the context in which it was originally used.

The symbolic moment I was referring to was Armada gazing into the distance without knowing he'd be Apex 2013 champ but still knowing this was his last tournament ever.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Are you guys seriously gonna talk about a youtube comment? lol.

As for armada, see ya, dude. You've made smash history.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I have since removed my upvoted post. I think "If you want to win you have to do it." can have greater meaning other than the context in which it was originally used.

The symbolic moment I was referring to was Armada gazing into the distance without knowing he'd be Apex 2013 champ but still knowing this was his last tournament ever.
aiight we coo :)

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Probably the best and most consistent smasher I have ever seen. Loved your style.
Thanks for just being there, making Melee more interesting to watch (and for making us realize Peach is broken, lol).
Anyway, good luck, hope you come back someday.

Now lets see who dominates the scene. Im betting on Dr. Peepee.

dontcallmeRP

Smash Rookie
Our 'Mada,
Who art in Sweden,
Hallowed be thy nairs.

Thy skill is best,
Thy matches wrecked,
On stream, as they did in person.

Give us one day to say farewell,
And forgive us of this trespassing,
As we forgive those who upsmash against us.

But leave us one last hype sensation,
And deliver this at EVO.

Amen

Sterowent

Smash Ace
you're quitting the big scene because of a lack of...competition? Honestly? were you playing your hardest at Apex then, on stage, chants back and forth but mostly against you, with the second best player in the world going toe to toe with your main, with his Secondary? didn't you lose the first set? didn't you nearly lose two games? wasn't that closer than he's ever gotten?

didn't hbox find a legitimate, though sadly unrefined, strategy against young link finally?

and isn't M2K's marth BETTER than PP's?

EVO and Gen3. these tournaments tend to bring out the best in players, and attract new talent to boot. you shouldn't be so worried about competition with the biggest tournament season in many years, long before you became as good as you are. it's not just money you'll be losing out on.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
you're quitting the big scene because of a lack of...competition? Honestly? were you playing your hardest at Apex then, on stage, chants back and forth but mostly against you, with the second best player in the world going toe to toe with your main, with his Secondary? didn't you lose the first set? didn't you nearly lose two games? wasn't that closer than he's ever gotten?

didn't hbox find a legitimate, though sadly unrefined, strategy against young link finally?

and isn't M2K's marth BETTER than PP's?

EVO and Gen3. these tournaments tend to bring out the best in players, and attract new talent to boot. you shouldn't be so worried about competition with the biggest tournament season in many years, long before you became as good as you are. it's not just money you'll be losing out on.
Wow, chill out. He didn't say lack of competition, he said lack of motivation to improve as a player. When he said "to become a better player" I'm pretty sure he meant "to become a better player than I am right now" as opposed to "to become a better player than Dr. PP and Mango".

Madic0

Smash Rookie
Our 'Mada,
Who art in Sweden,
Hallowed be thy nairs.

Thy skill is best,
Thy matches wrecked,
On stream, as they did in person.

Give us one day to say farewell,
And forgive us of this trespassing,
As we forgive those who upsmash against us.

But leave us one last hype sensation,
And deliver this at EVO.

Amen
****ing genius.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
This is not the first time the best has left the game. And it probably wont be the last.

Just look at this as an end to an era.

Peepee, M2k, Leffen, Hax, Mango, Axe and Hbox. Hell even Kage, Shroomed, Kirbykaze, and a few others. There are people near the top that should be fighting for the top spot now. Go ahead and be sad that you didn't get to topple the boss. Be sad, THEN BECOME THE FREAKIN BOSS YOURSELF!

M2K, man I was rooting for you to get your chance to take down Armada. Your Marth is the most exciting Melee character to watch. Become the best once again.
Peepee, I remember when you were not even a gleam in the eye of the North Carolina scene. Now you are top dog in the USA at melee. You surprise me more and more every time I see you play.
Hax, You were on point at Apex man. You truly are the best falcon play there is. I want to see you take that next step and be the best player there is.
Mango, You seem to have lost your drive. Either it will come back and you will be a full on beast again or it wont come back and you will eventually quit. I really liked rooting against you because you won for so long. Now I just want to see you beast again.
Axe, You are a boss. You play pika all the way through tournaments knowing full well that Pika is, in fact, an inferior character. And when you take down the big names it feels so much more sweet. Make your pika better. I know you dont need me to tell you that.
HBox, That Ness surprised the hell out of me. I really wanted to see Armada fall and it felt like you, peepee, or M2k were the ones who were going to have to do it. You got close refine that Ness or try something different.

Armada you are the best player in Melee history. Good job. Hopefully you can find the motivation in life that you had when getting better at smash cause if you do you'll be just fine.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I wish Armada would come back one last time at say EVO or Genesis or something major and not enter but be his own side event lol. Basically gives everyone one last chance to play him or MM in a best of 3
I have to agree with this. Armada before you go do you mind doing something like this just to give everyone in the community a chance to play you. It would be a big deal for a lot of people.

john!

Smash Hero
i dunno why people are saying that the next few tourneys will be less hype without armada.

personally i'm gonna be hyped as **** wondering who will be the next smasher to take the throne

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I think it's less hype because Armada was always dominant, but not untouchable. It always seemed to me a real possibility that this time was going to be the one he finally lost.

Also, I always loved to watch him just because of the beauty of his play. His peach possessed an aesthetic quality that I thought only characters like Marth, Falco, and Sheik have.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's going to be less hype because watching the champ defend his title or watching an upcoming player steal the champ's throne has always produced the most alluring matches (this year's Apex GF is a testament to this). The same rule applies for sports... It's why Michael Jordan made the NBA so popular. It's why people are always talking about the Yankees or the Patriots. Whether rooting for or against them, people always want to watch the best.

This really blows. I respect your decision Armada but this really blows. :(

EDIT: Changed Cowboys to the Patriots thanks to recent NFL playoff events. ^.^

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
When MJ it took a while but NBA found new people to root/cheer/boo for.

Same will happen.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I don't see why people are upset regarding the future of tournaments and hype. The hype is off the charts now! With EVO and Genesis 3, the world is wide open to crown a new champion and all of the elite players that couldn't get through Armada have a golden opportunity to become the new best. Sure, it might be a bit hollow for now, but eventually they'll surpass Armada's prime and the metagame will advance even further. Look at how things have changed since Ken stopped playing. He lost to Aussyboo, rofl. A lot of people also must not be realizing how much time Armada puts into Melee to stay in prime form. He's probably got many new roads ahead of him in life, more important than Smash.

I can't wait to see who will be taking the empty throne! But I need a new person to root for now. :awesome:

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
this is pathetic to admit but i have been crying the past 10 minutes
I don't blame you at all. Armada was my inspiration. That Peach is unparalleled and for him to retire now has left a hole in my heart. It cannot be helped, but Armada we'd like you to know that we're with you all the way and I hope you'll enjoy your retirement. Good luck to everything you do in life and we hope that one day, you'll come back and wow us again, even for just a little while.

Best wishes! :')

With him gone, I wonder who'll be the next champion. Hmmmm.....

:phone:

Top Bottom