• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
AJP: Yeah the last one was very fun. But I don't think I will join this one.
Your loss. You know I care more about seeing stuff than play smash =).
Actually at the moment I'd like it to be smasher-free as well, but I might reconsider. Maybe visits places with smashers to play lots of friendlies for a day, for those who haven't played you before and never could otherwise.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
I respect your decision Armada, I think it is great that you want to end your career on a good note, winning apex 2013. As an relatively new smasher myself, you are one of the people I look up to for inspiration, I am sure that many others view you as inspirational as well. You have done much good for the community and if you do decide to quit for good, you will leave a big legacy. Good **** man!

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Armada was easily the best player of all time, and the best tournament-goer I've ever had the pleasure of TO'ing for.
Dude was never late for a match, always checked in before he went for food, always polite and friendly, always gracious in victory or defeat.

I seriously hope he has a change of heart and decides to come back.
But if not, God bless you Armada- and may you be safe and successful in whatever endeavors you attempt in life.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Armada was easily the best player of all time, and the best tournament-goer I've ever had the pleasure of TO'ing for.
Dude was never late for a match, always checked in before he went for food, always polite and friendly, always gracious in victory or defeat.
These are the kind of competitors we need leading the community.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I think Armada's legacy will be as important if not possibly more important then Ken's. The influence he had on the community is pretty huge.

-Innovation with the character
-Being the first dangerous threat to North American(mainly American) dominance
-Making North America aware of talent outside of its borders

-He strengthened the connections between the world's different smash communities. Everyone seems to be watching everyone's tournaments now a days.
-And last but not least his undefeated status from Genesis 2 until today.
Bombsoldier and Captain Jack have both done this before lol. BUT Armada definitely will be remembered as the best Peach main of all time.

Engo

Smash Ace
Bombsoldier and Korean DJ have both done this before lol. BUT Armada definitely will be remembered as the best Peach main of all time.
Korean DJ was actually korean...?Maybe you mean Captain Jack which I guess I overlooked. However, Bombsoldier wasn't much of a threat he got close to beating Ken once and next time he showed up he got 17th. Armada came to our turf on his own account at a massive tournament and got to grand finals. Then he did it again and again until he won. That's a genuine and dangerous threat and what made it even more striking was that he was expected to return each time, it wasn't a one time thing.

Even Captain Jack wasn't a threat to the overall American dominance. As far as I know he did not hold the best player in the world status held by people like Ken,Pc Chris,M2k,Mango for very long if at all. He didn't go undefeated like many of these people did.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Wow, I am shocked and saddened. Not much to say....just go **** umvc3 or something.....and hopefully see you at genesis 3. :D

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Korean DJ was actually korean...?Maybe you mean Captain Jack which I guess I overlooked. However, Bombsoldier wasn't much of a threat he got close to beating Ken once and next time he showed up he got 17th. Armada came to our turf on his own account at a massive tournament and got to grand finals. Then he did it again and again until he won. That's a genuine and dangerous threat and what made it even more striking was that he was expected to return each time, it wasn't a one time thing.

Even Captain Jack wasn't a threat to the overall American dominance. As far as I know he did not hold the best player in the world status held by people like Ken,Pc Chris,M2k,Mango for very long if at all. He didn't go undefeated like many of these people did.
Koreandj is definitely actually Korean... Dude went to teach English in Korea for a while.

:phone:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i think the question was more along the lines of "is that his nationality?" rather than "is that his ethnicity?"

Super

Smash Apprentice
NO ONE EVER QUITS SMASH. NO EXCEPTIONS! (Hell, not even MUTHERF*CKING KEN HOANG). Anyone that "retires" always comes back. Seriously, retirement posts are pretty pointless. Armada will be back, whether he just needs a break or some new people at the top to intrigue him.

Cya in a few tournaments.

Emkatt

Smash Rookie
Armada- You don't know me and there is no reason you should. I'm just some random noob. But this sucks. Your record vs Mango is 2-1. In your favor but hardly something you can use to show you're unarguably better than him. Remember that Mango ALSO has a positive record vs all other top players, and while he seems in a funk, you and I both know he would be your greatest competition at G3 or EVO. If you won at those, an argument could NOT be made that you weren't the best player ever. As it is, if Mango wins G3 or EVO, everyone will be asking, where is Armada for the final set? Set your legacy in stone by winning and making your record vs Mango 3-1.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Armada's legacy is already set in stone. Both in the game and outside the game on a personal level. Dammit I knew I should have congratulated him while my friends were taking pics of him post-Apex 2013. Instead I told myself I'd have another chance to be up there again and congratulate him then.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Coming from some random scrub, this might mean nothing but

Armada, it's really sad to see you go man. You (and mango) are what got me into melee, that random day shortly after Genesis 1 when I randomly had the thought; I wonder what the best SSBM player is like? Having no idea about any sort of competitive melee, I stumbled upon your Genesis videos after a while and watched your whole run through, and mango's comeback and was just amazed. Not only was I inspired to get into this game, but to play peach as well.

It's hard to imagine where melee would be now if you hadn't been part of it. You brought so much hype, inspiring people in both America and Europe, and really brought both of the scenes together, breathing some life into a slowly dying game. Even having never met you, from what I can tell and have heard about your demeanor and motivation, you really showed what a champion of the game looks like. It's understandable not having the drive for the game anymore and wanting/needing to focus on other things in your life, it's something everybody will have to do at some point in their life despite how much we love this game.

Anyway just wanted to pay my homage to the greatest melee player off all time, thanks for everything you gave the community.

Zodiac

Smash Master
see you saturday

10char

for real though, you have proven you are the best in the world and I can understand not having any interest in smash as a competitor.

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
'Tis a sad day for Melee.

Armada, allow me to join the ranks of new players offering their thanks to you for being such an amazing influence in Smash. You are the pinnacle of intelligent, creative play, and recordings of your matches will be treasured as some of the game's finest moments. Competitive Melee is what it is because you were, and will hopefully continue to be in some capacity, part of it. Hats off to you, and best wishes for your future endeavors.

Slashtap

Smash Cadet
Sadly Armada is being honest and please do not compare him to Ken. Armada is more about being 100% honest while Ken is more about caring what the masses think even if it is for being dishonest. I know this both because I have talked to Armada a LOT on facebook over the years as well as telling Ken several strats and him denying my help to the public despite thanking me personally after I told him (in 2006 a lot), then refusing a 50 dollar MM saying he has nothing else to prove then saying he's the best cuz of 1 tourney then claiming to quit but still getting 9th next tourney. They are not comparable people IN THE SLIGHTEST

Armada i really wanted to face you this tournament =[ I threw my chance away. I think I might have had what it takes that time but I am super sad that a rematch is impossible. I am considering going to Europe this summer only for a rematch (if you do not accept then that is understandable but that means I'll also have no reason to want to go). You're a super good teammate also and I need a new great teammate for tourneys now. But also at the same time with you gone, I honestly feel my fire to become better is pretty much gone too, because even if I were to win a national, it would not be the same without the final boss :(. It wouldn't be the same at all to me. I hope smash 4 comes out soon.

I think you did kind of throw away your chance to play Armada. If you had not messed up the first stock of your final game in singles, you and PP would have gone to the final game, and there was your chance. You had the ability, but made the slightest of errors. I say this as an encouragement about your skill, not to get on you for messing up.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I don't know if I'm more upset because of Armada's absence from competitive melee or the fact that we were graced with such a hero/player to begin with <3

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
Good luck Armada with whatever you go on to do in life. Like many others here I got into competitive smash watching genesis 1 and your sets with Mango. This leaves the question, who will claim the number 1 spot. Mango, PP, Mew2King, and Hungrybox are all gunning for it, and g3/evo will be a grand venue for them to slug it out. #mew2nation

Glass half full.

Top Bottom