• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Removing the springs in your controller

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
oh and, fyi snitches get stichez, not b****ez. if youre not getting waxed, then youre not relaxed, wich means youre mad not glad.
You really need to get bag-tagged for that.

He's a mod, what the hell were you expecting? The fact of the matter is, he's right. It's a controller mod that provides an unfair advantage over other players.

Arcade

Smash Ace
How to powershield like mad without removing the springs in your controller:

Step 1: Change Z to shield
Step 2: Laugh at Falco's blaster
Step 3: Laugh at people who want spring removal banned

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I don't really see how removing springs should be illeagal, you can get the same button speed changing y or X to shield which doesn't impair any of the controls because it is a duplicate of jump. So by taking out springs your just doing somthing that can obtained by other legal means anyway without increasing speed of output

Orion*

Smash Researcher
You really need to get bag-tagged for that.

He's a mod, what the hell were you expecting? The fact of the matter is, he's right. It's a controller mod that provides an unfair advantage over other players.
but its not an unfair advantage. its not even a real advantage. hence why so many people do it, and MLG allowed it. so youre wrong. and what if im a mod? how would you know. modship does mean anything in discussion, unless its revolving something around a modship or future modshipuden.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah it's not an unfair advantage when you can either map shield to a non springed button or use one of the wii controllers that don't have springs to begin with...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
but its not an unfair advantage. its not even a real advantage. hence why so many people do it, and MLG allowed it. so youre wrong. and what if im a mod? how would you know. modship does mean anything in discussion, unless its revolving something around a modship or future modshipuden.
If it's not an advantage, why would you do it? The purpose is to remove the resistance, correct? It's a small advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

Also, you're clearly not a mod. One look at your posts makes it quite obvious. And the relevance of modship on this discussion is that Kewkky, as a mod, regardless of his personal opinion, should probably be expressing the common competitive policy that controller mods are not permitted, nor are they ethical.

In fact, going back to look at it, that's EXACTLY what he did.

Allied

Smash Master
If it's not an advantage, why would you do it? The purpose is to remove the resistance, correct? It's a small advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

Also, you're clearly not a mod. One look at your posts makes it quite obvious. And the relevance of modship on this discussion is that Kewkky, as a mod, regardless of his personal opinion, should probably be expressing the common competitive policy that controller mods are not permitted, nor are they ethical.

In fact, going back to look at it, that's EXACTLY what he did.
Its personal preference really some people do it and like it, some don't, and its not a controller mod.

Also hes right modship has nothing to do in the discussion, he can mod of the ness boards for all i care.

Kids these days

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Its personal preference really some people do it and like it, some don't, and its not a controller mod.

Also hes right modship has nothing to do in the discussion, he can mod of the ness boards for all i care.

Kids these days
Kewkky said:
Remember that it's against the rules to play with modified controllers.
Reminding people of enforced rules is rather modlike, though it is not a 100% determinant.

Also, there's no possible way you can claim it isn't a controller mod.

What did you do to the controller by removing/shortening the springs?

You modified it.

....Derp.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'm currently fixing a controller actually and was thinking of removing the springs while I was at it.

Also I replaced the control stick and the C stick with the ones from a classic controller, would that be considered a cosmetic change?

-Ran

Smash Master
If memory serves correctly, there are no rules for modded controllers for Brawl in the SBR list.

Allied

Smash Master
Reminding people of enforced rules is rather modlike, though it is not a 100% determinant.

Also, there's no possible way you can claim it isn't a controller mod.

What did you do to the controller by removing/shortening the springs?

You modified it.

....Derp.
What rule, removing the springs of the buttons

Is allowed

and its not a controller mod do you have any idea what a controller mod is? By asking this i assumed you're a seasoned arcade fighter because THEY know what a modded controller is.

I mean sure we can go down to core definitions all we want

Players may not use a controller with Turbo capabilities or Wireless capabilities. Controllers with Turbo capabilities allow Players to map a button sequence to the Turbo button. Pressing that button results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.
2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage. (Note Removing Springs is legal as it does not provide an ufair competitive advantage)

The mod wasn't preforming his duty right so stop hiding behind his noble actions, his power is on his respected boards whatever they so be, hes not a super moderator and holds no authority over anyone, niether do you.

You are both wrong, end of story.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage. (Note Removing Springs is legal as it does not provide an unfair competitive advantage)
NickRiddle said:
It makes it so you do not have to push the L/R all the way down to click it. (The buttons are resting on the "click") This makes it so you do not waste frames pressing the triggers all the way down.

So, yes, it can help you PS.
Unless NickRiddle is uninformed (I doubt this), this looks a lot like a competitive advantage. (It lets you powershield quicker)

Allied

Smash Master
Unless NickRiddle is uninformed (I doubt this), this looks a lot like a competitive advantage. (It lets you powershield quicker)
Quicker in what sense you would have to extensive research to even notice. If it was too big it would be banned most likely.

its personal preference i don't like mine without springs, thats just me. I can powershield just fine so can many other players. If they feel they can powershield quicker thats good for them it must not be that much of a difference or else everyone would be on top of this like crazy.

If people feel its such an advantage to be banned bring it up to MLG.

Also you gotta remember powershielding is reaction time based as well, removing the springs would only help you get to the powershield by idk 1/16th of a frame faster (don't ask me i'm not a frame guy lmao xD i made up a random fraction)

etecoon

Smash Hero
don't have a springless GCN but using face buttons or using a wii controller, I know the difference is MUCH more than 1/16th of a frame for me o_O if anything it has to be a few frames. this is something that would vary by person though

Arcade

Smash Ace
Removing the springs in the L button is unethical? Really? Protip: Change shield to Z. Same exact results without having to buy a specialized screwdriver, take the time to dissect your controller and risk breaking it. That's why it's not MLG banned, that's why it's not unethical. It's your fault you're too lazy to take a few hours to get used to using Z for shield. Lazy or just so short-sighted and uncreative that you never thought of that.

That's all that needs to be said on this subject.

Allied

Smash Master
don't have a springless GCN but using face buttons or using a wii controller, I know the difference is MUCH more than 1/16th of a frame for me o_O if anything it has to be a few frames. this is something that would vary by person though
Honestly if this thing gave like 3-5 frame advantage it'd be banned

Flayl

Smash Hero
The gamecube controller's Z is actually the most resistant of the non-spring buttons, it's not very good for shielding

etecoon

Smash Hero
Honestly if this thing gave like 3-5 frame advantage it'd be banned
considering that there are other ways of achieving the same effect and that it would be very inconvenient to have to check for that, no, it wouldn't

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll also point out that the fact that you can bind another button to get the same result is irrelevant, because modding the springs allows you the same convenience WITHOUT having to do so.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Somebody said 1/6th frame advantage. I just wanted to let you guys know that one frame is one sixtieth of a second, so your hypothetical amount is ridiculously small.

It gives you like 2 frames if your reflexes are good.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
so? 10characters
If two people can achieve the same result, but one has to do more work (by not modding their springs), it's an advantage.

Now, it may be true that this advantage is minute enough to be considered irrelevant by most players and MLG, due to the impractical nature of checking such a thing, but I'm arguing this on a matter of principal at this point.

Modding the springs is not merely a cosmetic change, however small the advantage provided may be.

etecoon

Smash Hero
taking apart your controller and cutting the springs isn't work? besides whether or not it's an advantage really has no relevance to whether or not it should be legal, using a GCN controller is an advantage over using a wii remote, lets ban the GCN controller LOL

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
taking apart your controller and cutting the springs isn't work? besides whether or not it's an advantage really has no relevance to whether or not it should be legal, using a GCN controller is an advantage over using a wii remote, lets ban the GCN controller LOL
Taking your controller apart is work, but it's a one-time effort that takes place OUTSIDE of the game, not during the matches.

And yes, it clearly does have relevance. Controller selection is an option available to everyone. EVERYONE has the option to use the GC controller. It provides the advantages over the wiimote WITHOUT the need for player modification.

You're missing the point.

etecoon

Smash Hero
EVERYONE has the option to use the GC controller..
nope, gamecube controllers are no longer sold in US stores, so if you don't already have one and can't get one online, you're screwed</most pointless rebuttal ever>

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
nope, gamecube controllers are no longer sold in US stores, so if you don't already have one and can't get one online, you're screwed</most pointless rebuttal ever>
Yeah, I'm just gonna agree with the pseudo-hidden text.

So Fatal

Smash Master
****, theres 100's of used ones on ebay, ive gotten 10 pretty much brand new controllers for like 10 each, you can buy used GC controllers from gamestop and there usually perfect, you can test it out before you buy it. :]

etecoon

Smash Hero
I have a few personally but I'm kinda tempted to buy one of the white ones so I can get it painted like syx's lol(except blue, BLUUUUUUEEEEE)

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I only read the first three pages, but I just wanted to say Kewkky is completely wrong.

Tampering with the springs is CONSIDERED an aesthetic modification and is NOT banned under general rules.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I only read the first three pages, but I just wanted to say Kewkky is completely wrong.

Tampering with the springs is CONSIDERED an aesthetic modification and is NOT banned under general rules.
Just because it IS considered aesthetic, doesn't mean it should, since we've shown it to provide an advantage, however small it may be. It's not an aesthetic mod.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Quicker in what sense you would have to extensive research to even notice. If it was too big it would be banned most likely.

its personal preference i don't like mine without springs, thats just me. I can powershield just fine so can many other players. If they feel they can powershield quicker thats good for them it must not be that much of a difference or else everyone would be on top of this like crazy.

If people feel its such an advantage to be banned bring it up to MLG.

Also you gotta remember powershielding is reaction time based as well, removing the springs would only help you get to the powershield by idk 1/16th of a frame faster (don't ask me i'm not a frame guy lmao xD i made up a random fraction)
Players may not use a controller with Turbo capabilities or Wireless capabilities. Controllers with Turbo capabilities allow Players to map a button sequence to the Turbo button. Pressing that button results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.
2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage. (Note Removing Springs is legal as it does not provide an ufair competitive advantage)
No matter how small of an advantage it is, the bolded fits removing your springs as being against the rules.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Is that part of the official ruleset, or is that something added onto the definition? I assumed that was something he put in.

Top Bottom