• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Removing the springs in your controller

So Fatal

Smash Master
Does this really help? Does it only help power shielding?

and is there a guide on how to do this anywhere?

and the search is busted so just link me to another thread. Thanks

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Does this really help? Does it only help power shielding?

and is there a guide on how to do this anywhere?

and the search is busted so just link me to another thread. Thanks
Removing the springs from your L/R only does one thing.
It makes it so you do not have to push the L/R all the way down to click it. (The buttons are resting on the "click") This makes it so you do not waste frames pressing the triggers all the way down.

So, yes, it can help you PS.

King~

Smash Champion
you need a tri wing to open the GC controller, and a small regular scredriver to get the cover off the triggers

1. open the controller

2. remove front and board carefully(just dont break it lol)

3. remove screws from covers and remove the cover

4. push the trigger all the way down and remove it from the controller(ALT: you can take the bottom out and remove the spring from there and just place the bottom back in the brackets it rests on)

5. after springs are removed put the cover back on.

6. when putting the front and board back on, carefully line up the pegs on the back of the board with the holes on the trigger(this part will be sticking out after the cover is back on the triggers.) if you dont do this right the triggers wont work.

7. screw back together and enjoy

once you get it open its pretty self explanitory, or easily figured out

its just gettin a tri wing is sometimes inconvient

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=69935

theres pics on the first page of that thread explaining the peg thing better

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Remember that it's against the rules to play with modified controllers.

gallax

Smash Hero
fatal, be sure u leave like 3 rings when u cut it. i would recommend cutting about half of the spring then keep taking more off until u like it. if u cut too much off for ur liking then u wont be happy.

Toneh

Smash Lord
Removing the springs from your L/R only does one thing.
It makes it so you do not have to push the L/R all the way down to click it. (The buttons are resting on the "click") This makes it so you do not waste frames pressing the triggers all the way down.

So, yes, it can help you PS.
what he said. Helps u shield alot faster. Other ppl think its useless
Remember that it's against the rules to play with modified controllers.
no, these aren't considered modified bc springs dont do anything in brawl. They just get in the way.

yeah me and gallax didnt want the springs taken out completely, so we trimmed them with wire cutters about halfway and tested it till we were happy. All preference

Takes like a week or 2 to get used to it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
no, these aren't considered modified bc springs dont do anything in brawl. They just get in the way.
It gets in the way? Then YES it gets in the way. By removing/shortening them, you're giving yourself an edge over every other person. It gets in their way too, why shouldn't it get in your way? What makes a person so special that they have to buy something Nintendo made, open it up, tinker with it (AKA modify) and give them an edge over everyone else?

If you take your controller and change it in any way as to make playing the game easier, then you're modifying it. And that's not allowed, just as using controllers with turbo-buttons in fighting game tourneys isn't allowed because of the unfair advantage they gain over the rest of the players.

And if you guys think that it's the other players' fault for not doing the same, then explain to them why turbo controllers aren't allowed either, even though they can fork over a couple of bucks for a just-as-easily obtainable turbo controller which is easier than mustering the courage to open the controller up and running the risk of breaking some part of it or losing a screw or two.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i'm kind of curious as to how you would really use a turbo controller to give yourself an edge in tournament

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Removing springs from controllers have been one of those things that are not hampered on by most people.

The modified controller rule is more in relation to replicating inputs perfectly (i.e. the inputs required to do ics cg maybe?). As someone said, turbo controllers.

Toneh

Smash Lord
Removing springs from controllers have been one of those things that are not hampered on by most people.

The modified controller rule is more in relation to replicating inputs perfectly (i.e. the inputs required to do ics cg maybe?). As someone said, turbo controllers.
turbo would be good for mashing out of grabs basically

gallax

Smash Hero
turbo button for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its ur choice really if u want to use springs or not or cut them. everyone can do it with the standard gamecube controller. if there is a turbo button then hello, its not a standard controller and has been modified in some fashion.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Tampering with your controller makes it a modified controller, just like how tampering with your Wii makes it a modified Wii.

And of course, people have failed to understand what I tried to say by bashing at my example instead of just swerving around it and into the message. How much clearer can it be?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Tampering with your controller makes it a modified controller, just like how tampering with your Wii makes it a modified Wii.

And of course, people have failed to understand what I tried to say by bashing at my example instead of just swerving around it and into the message. How much clearer can it be?
MLG allows it, therefore no one else cares. :laugh:

joeplicate

Smash Master
well it's not quite like you can drop 15 bucks or whatever at your local gamestop and buy a controller that will multishine for you

the most they usually do is spam one button while turbo's on, not replicate a whole series of inputs

i understand the sentiment behind not wanting modded controllers for competition, but i still think the idea of using a madcatz turbo controller to best the competition is pretty funny

Dekar173

Justice Man
well it's not quite like you can drop 15 bucks or whatever at your local gamestop and buy a controller that will multishine for you

the most they usually do is spam one button while turbo's on, not replicate a whole series of inputs

i understand the sentiment behind not wanting modded controllers for competition, but i still think the idea of using a madcatz turbo controller to best the competition is pretty funny
Reflex will still grab break faster than you

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
turbo controllers for brawl is crazy.

on the upside, it allows moves that require multiple inputs (such as marth's side B and multi hitting ftilts like snake and mk) come out super fast and super easy by simply holding the button.

on the downside, you can't do things charge a smash attack or stuff that requires you to hold a button, like hold snake's grenades.

that downside, however, is under the assumption that we're talking about the turbo controllers that have one turbo button that makes all of the buttons turbo. I don't know if there's a GC controller that allows separate buttons to go turbo and others to stay regular, which would allow the greatest advantage for any given situation.

Deboog

Smash Cadet

Do they have c-stick turbos? SUPER SMASH DI

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
turbo controllers for brawl is crazy.

on the upside, it allows moves that require multiple inputs (such as marth's side B and multi hitting ftilts like snake and mk) come out super fast and super easy by simply holding the button.

on the downside, you can't do things charge a smash attack or stuff that requires you to hold a button, like hold snake's grenades.

that downside, however, is under the assumption that we're talking about the turbo controllers that have one turbo button that makes all of the buttons turbo. I don't know if there's a GC controller that allows separate buttons to go turbo and others to stay regular, which would allow the greatest advantage for any given situation.
they sell them at gamestop, i got it used and it was the last one, but now it broke because i set it to every button one day to out spam a pit user. i remember if you set it to z you can instathrow automatically, which was amazing

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Snitch? More like a reminder. Learn your vocabulary... That wasn't even a constructive comment.
my vocabulary is on constructiveness. i said snitch in the right context scrub, and im pretty sure you fit the definition.

lrn2read

oh and, fyi snitches get stichez, not b****ez. if youre not getting waxed, then youre not relaxed, wich means youre mad not glad.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
is this confirmed? i was keeping my springs incase i had to put them back in for MLG, i can play both ways but that ones just my preference -.-
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271261

2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage. (Note Removing Springs is legal as it does not provide an ufair competitive advantage)
It's legal where it matters, the end.

Top Bottom