• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remember SoCal Drama?

Kira-

Smash Champion
FF6 will probably take you 25-30 hours on a first run if you go for a moderate portion of the side quests.
Xenogears is not for the faint of heart or patience. My first time through it took over 70 hours. It's kind of slow to start, the random battle rate is a little annoying, and near the end of the game there are 15-20 minute long story scenes comprised almost entirely of text. Oh yeah, and this game was made before there was such a thing as quality english anime voiceovers. But it's all very worth it if you play RPGs for story and characters above everything else.
i have this game but never got past the beginning sadly. i've also been craving a good RPG lately; i think i've found the answer

also i played xenosaga and thought it was marginal if that means anything.

Nashun

Smash Ace
I think Xenosaga was worse than marginal. It was such a horrible disappointment for me because I assumed that it would be similar to Xenogears.

Kinda like how I bought a Wii a couple months before Brawl came out JUST for brawl.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
hi i heard ff7 was the best rpg ever made

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Hey JTB FF7 is good and ima let you finish, but Chrono Trigger is the best rpg of all time, of all tiiime!
played out yet?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
FF6 will probably take you 25-30 hours on a first run if you go for a moderate portion of the side quests.
Xenogears is not for the faint of heart or patience. My first time through it took over 70 hours. It's kind of slow to start, the random battle rate is a little annoying, and near the end of the game there are 15-20 minute long story scenes comprised almost entirely of text. Oh yeah, and this game was made before there was such a thing as quality english anime voiceovers. But it's all very worth it if you play RPGs for story and characters above everything else.
thanks sheridan

Adam M!

Smash Lord
why would it take you over 70 hours?

i'm the type of guy who just plays through the game and doesn't give a *** about sidequests, and no RPG has ever taken me over 40 hrs

D

Deleted member

xenogears is an extremely long term investment

i've heard playthroughs of 100+ hours but i stopped around the end of the first disc clocking at 40~ hours

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
you can't even count seeing you've played in many gamecubes

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Xenosaga makes a lot more sense if you've played Xenogears. Of course that doesn't really help the gameplay aspect much, but if you had the patience to play through all or most of Xenosaga, you're fine for Xenogears. I didn't find any of the characters in Saga to be particularly endearing, whereas in Gears almost everyone is pretty interesting and they all have their secrets. Somehow the storytelling works better in Gears with just the text as opposed to Saga's cutscenes. But yes, Xenogears is a long term investment, and I wouldn't recommend sitting down to play it unless you can commit 2 hours to it at a time, otherwise you're just going to be confused by the story.

The one thing that was really cool about Saga was that it had like an in-game glossary, so when it referenced Jungian archetypes or the EPR paradox or the V5 visual cortex, you got an explanation of what the hell those mean. There are references like that in Xenogears (especially regarding certain psychologists/philosophers and Jewish mythology), though less overt, but they seem also less contrived and more appropriate to the story.

Oh yeah, and Xenogears has an amazing soundtrack, composed by the same guy who did the Chrono series, Yasunori Mitsuda. Here's a preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPxaZHJp_L8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2384v71q1g

joeplicate

Smash Master
countless, countless, countless hours of melee

i thought about it some
it's a whole lot for just about everybody

Adam M!

Smash Lord
lol i am definitely never going to commit 2+ hours per sit down to any game, ever. there are way better things to do with my time. i guess that just means i am definitely over video games as a whole outside of smash.

so thanks, but no thanks nathan :)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
After Melee, the game I have the most playtime on is probably Civilization (summing over the whole series). My guess is I have around 2500 hours on the series. In the summer of 9th grade, I averaged like 4-5 hours of gameplay on Civ II each day. I have about 1800 hours in WoW /played, but at least 25% of that is leaving the game on while I do other stuff. What else...probably over 1000 hours on all Tetris games combined.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
im almost disappointed in you sheridan. i would figure you would toss out all that superfluous gaming crap and instead use it to read

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I read a LOT, generally 1.5-2 hours every day, it's just that 90% of my reading consists of Wikipedia or scientific papers.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
i had over 500 hours on my gold version as a child

ive never found a single shiny (red gyarados doesnt count)
My silver game battery died out about 3 years ago, I had over 500 hours too

Other games I've logged alot of hours include ff9, tactics, golden sun, wow

skies of Arcadia and dragon quest 7 are really good games too

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
After Melee, the game I have the most playtime on is probably Civilization (summing over the whole series). My guess is I have around 2500 hours on the series. In the summer of 9th grade, I averaged like 4-5 hours of gameplay on Civ II each day. I have about 1800 hours in WoW /played, but at least 25% of that is leaving the game on while I do other stuff. What else...probably over 1000 hours on all Tetris games combined.
Omg I play so much civilization 4.....

partly because its the best game that runs on this ****ty comp

BTW Mass Effect is the best western rpg evar
The semi-realistic futuristic story-line is way cool

In other words thats how I could imagine things happening whenever we do meet aliens

bbb

Smash Champion
I didn't care much for mass effect

also baldurs gate is a western rpg, and that **** is amazing

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Never played it, always wanted to

Main reason I like ME is that they give an explanation for how everything came about, especially faster than light speed travel, whereas every other futuristic sci-fi story I know of basically say "we can go faster then the speed of light cause its the future"

Its very in-depth

Lovage

Smash Hero
hey it's voodoo
are u gonna pay me the 5$ you owe me from the time you bet against me that i wouldn't beat sMoke2jointz in ssb64 because you didn't know anything about anything?

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
everytime i see ender post
i think he closed a thread
like his partime job is stealing the dreams of babies
killing the hopes of orphans

somewhere in an attic theres a picture of ender getting older
and he can never look at it directly or he would age and parish

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
everytime i see ender post
i think he closed a thread