• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Release infnites... Do tournies generally ban them?

okiyama

Smash Ace
Just because it's on the rules doesn't mean people follow it, Yuna meant that people haven't started banning it at their tourneys yet but once they do start it will be considered universally banned.
But Smash balls are considered universally because at any real tourney you go to they are banned.
Also, all infinites should be banned. The idea behind competition is to make it entirely skill based, having a grab that give a player an unfair advantage isn't skill, it's just cheating.

Dark Nemesis

Smash Apprentice
But Smash balls are considered universally because at any real tourney you go to they are banned.
Nintendo allows Smash Balls on their official tourneys. Since it's official, plus it's Nintendo, Smash Balls can't be considered universally banned.

123mop

Smash Rookie
Stop complaining about IC chaingrabs. You can get out of them using the instant grab break(pressing A at the time of the grab), which is a great deal easier to learn to use than the chaingrabs are.
Infinite grabs are a different story though. I think these should be banned, because it just doesn't make sense to leave them in. There is no way to stop them once they're started, because if you do the instant grab break you still get regrabbed(I'm pretty sure the instant grab break animation is the exact same as the normal grab break animation), and they just keep pummeling you. It's pretty obvious that these are in the game only because of poor testing.

DEV64

Smash Apprentice
Just because it's on the rules doesn't mean people follow it, Yuna meant that people haven't started banning it at their tourneys yet but once they do start it will be considered universally banned.
Also, all infinites should be banned. The idea behind competition is to make it entirely skill based, having a grab that give a player an unfair advantage isn't skill, it's just cheating.
AGREED but i wouldent call it cheating just stupid i mean they still havent banned them come on
with IC's yes u can separate them but u could do that i melee so why ban wobbling if u could separate why did they ban it.Its instant death but so they still dont ban wall infinites or IC's CGI
or D3 infinites on DK etc. SO WHAT THE HELL :veryconfu

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
AGREED but i wouldent call it cheating just stupid i mean they still havent banned them come on
with IC's yes u can separate them but u could do that i melee so why ban wobbling if u could separate why did they ban it.Its instant death but so they still dont ban wall infinites or IC's CGI
or D3 infinites on DK etc. SO WHAT THE HELL :veryconfu
here's a hint, don't use DK against DDD, and if he CPs DDD then you're dead that match. The ICs ones aren't difficult to pull off, but they sure as hell take a lot more skill to get into that situation than a wall infinite.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Infinites should not and will not be banned. I hate to say something so blunt, but honestly, you have one of two options to choose from:

1. Don't get grabbed
2. Counterpick

And I hope people aren't still complaining about IC's. Yea their infinites are frustrating, but their grab range is abysmal, and they are so easy to space against because of their terrible range. Plus you can split nana and popo with no problems at all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does that mean 75M and Smashballs arn't universally banned yet either? I mean it's listed as banned in the SBR rule list (it's even listed under general rules).
I see they finally came out with an official ruleset during my 2 weeks of mostly absence from the Internets (yes, I was barely online for the past two weeks).

I apologize for not being up-to-date. I'm glad the SBR agreed with me on banning it completely. There will probably still be whining about it here and there. I'll read through the discussions to see if their reasons for banning it were the same as the ones I put forth as reason for universally banning it. I also agree on the list of Starters and Counterpicks (personally, I will not allow any of the borderline ones).

I also see that lowered the roof for infiniting to 300% (another thing I've advocated for a while now) instead of the previous (ridiculous) 999%. See, I'm not as crazy as some people seem to think I am. The official (but probably not final) ruleset for Brawl ended up being 100% as I predicted, advocated and fought for.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I see they finally came out with an official ruleset during my 2 weeks of mostly absence from the Internets (yes, I was barely online for the past two weeks).
I was wondering where you'd been, hadn't seen you around blasting dudes. Anyway yeah, the ruleset turned out pretty much the way we all (who have brains) expected. The only controversial bit in my opinion worth discussing is maybe one or two stages (though I found it quite a good list even then).

On the "Don't get grabbed" debate. That's my advice for Ice Climbers as well. It's easy to take advantage of Nana's Shielding and dodging lag to seperate her from Popo so even if they try to shield grab you, she wont be there to do the infinite as she has to run back. If she has time to do that, you're probably at a high enough percentage to be killed by their smashes anyway. It's harder to avoid this in the DDD department of course, considering he has a much MUCH larger grab range. I suggest you just play a projectile character and play as gay as you possibly can. Welcome to Brawl.

Top Bottom