• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Release infnites... Do tournies generally ban them?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Im not talking about DDD CG,or IC difficult infinite.
Im talking about Wario infinite via ZSS and Yoshi
And Ness/Lucas infinite via Marth.

I've been to some tournies and they didn't ban them. Do they generally ban them in your area?

bobson

Smash Lord
No, you're only allowed to ban stages and items. Items, you see, could cause you to automatically lose a stock if your opponent uses them, whereas release infinites could only cause you to automatically lose a stock if your opponent uses them. Clearly, release infinites are fair game and should not be banned.

Percon

Smash Lord
Some tounies in Canada have the Ness/Lucas infinites banned.

They do allow a marth to Grab release > Fsmash though.

Sometimes it's not truly, officially banned, more of a respect thing. You can't expect this everywhere you go though...

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
If they ban the Ness Lucas inf. like some of you say, then mabey thell bann the Wario inf. some places too ...... i hope -_-

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
No, you're only allowed to ban stages and items. Items, you see, could cause you to automatically lose a stock if your opponent uses them, whereas release infinites could only cause you to automatically lose a stock if your opponent uses them. Clearly, release infinites are fair game and should not be banned.
uhh...dosent make a lot of sense...

Ilex

Smash Ace
Lol, was this sarcasm? I hope so.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Clearly he's using sarcasm to portray that he feels it's foolish not to ban infinites when they are of a more broken and unbalanced caliber than items, which are banned at most tournaments.

Metà

Smash Master
In texas, i ban all infinites
There are a lot of infinites (probably well into the double digits, including wall infinites), are you sure you've banned all of them?

Me too. I hate it how targets Ness, Lucas and Wario.
Would you rather it targets all characters? If it only targets those characters, it should be allowed, since you don't HAVE to pick those characters. Counter-picking, man...

Popertop

Smash Champion
It was less of an issue in Melee because there were more ways around getting grabbed.
In Brawl, with even less shield lag and bigger shield grab range, the loss of L-canceling and the slowed down gameplay it's a grabfest.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
lol that started all because Hylian was tearing it up with ICs :p

Banning infinites is just stupid. They were allowed in Melee; why should they be banned in Brawl?
first of all the IC and fox were the only ones to have an infinite with out a wall in melee and I'm pretty sure no one even had one against a wall. With the ICs that was called wobbling and it was banned at many tournaments including the last few MLGs if I remember right. Fox's infinite was way too hard to do because of fox's shorthop is hard to preform over and over again and plus no one even tried it past 3 wave shines. everyone did dair>shine>wavedash>up smash or grab to uair or thunders combo. AND it was escapable with smash DI.

with as many characters in brawl that have them and are inescapable they will be banned eventually whether you think it is stupid or not

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
infinites are in the game to use. They should not be ban. Try to avoid it. If you can't then simply don't play the game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
infinites are in the game to use. They should not be ban. Try to avoid it. If you can't then simply don't play the game.
Most, if not every infinite, were not meant to be in the game.

I main IC's and Wario, so I get affected from both ends well. Banning Infinites would help my Waro, but make my IC's suffer. Allowing Infinites is great for my IC's, but poor Wario gets shafted if he gets grabbed by the wrong character.

I think Infinites should be allowed, but there are some that are completely unnecessary (Marth can beat Ness without using grabs).

Ulevo

Smash Master
It's called poor programming. They didn't purposely give Ness a laggy release so characters can abuse it. They were just careless, lazy, or both.

cutter

Smash Champion
first of all the IC and fox were the only ones to have an infinite with out a wall in melee and I'm pretty sure no one even had one against a wall. With the ICs that was called wobbling and it was banned at many tournaments including the last few MLGs if I remember right. Fox's infinite was way too hard to do because of fox's shorthop is hard to preform over and over again and plus no one even tried it past 3 wave shines. everyone did dair>shine>wavedash>up smash or grab to uair or thunders combo. AND it was escapable with smash DI.
Wobbling was ALLOWED in MLG and the SBR said it was acceptable.

Fox could waveshine infinite 3 characters IIRC: Link, Zelda, and Peach. Difficulty is irrelevant as long as it's possible because it can be practiced and learned.

Even in Brawl without L-cancelling and whatnot it is still difficult for the ICs to grab you because they have such ****ty grab range. Learn to space yourself properly with ranged approaches, projectiles and split up the ICs.

with as many characters in brawl that have them and are inescapable they will be banned eventually whether you think it is stupid or not
Since when have ICs dominated tournaments? You don't ban something unless it dominates competitive play so much that the entire game revolves around it. Banning stuff is an absolute last resort; not the first.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It was less of an issue in Melee because there were more ways around getting grabbed.
In Brawl, with even less shield lag and bigger shield grab range, the loss of L-canceling and the slowed down gameplay it's a grabfest.
Only Ice Climbers have terrible grab range, can no longer wavedash out of shield to get grabs, and slide pretty far back from any shielded attack.

Learn to space!

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
^um, what does it matter if the Ice Climbers have bad grab range? This topic is about Marth, PT, Yoshi, and ZSS's infinites on Wario, Lucas, and Ness. ICs may have bad grab range, but none of the aforementioned characters do. Marth's is especially problematic, due to his large grab range and fast grab.

Mmac

Smash Lord
You know, 8 People can actually Infinite Wario now.

Also ZSS has an Infinite on Squirtle

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's just so lame because it takes absolutely no skill to grab release, unlike **** like ic's infinite.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Falco's chaingrab is not infinite>_>
And yet, it can end in a dair spike. This is why banning crap is messy business and should be avoided at all costs. Unless it (obviously) breaks the game, that is. Instead of this back and forth crap over what should and shouldn't be banned we should just assume that everything sans stalling is fair play.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Infinites, im fine with. Grab release infinites are a no-no. They are:

low risk, high reward.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Some of them are easy, some of them are hard. All of Wario's are hard to do.

The 8 people are Yoshi, ZSS, Bowser, Ganondorf, Falcon, Ike, Zelda, and Peach

Top Bottom