• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Rankings

TriTails

Smash Lord
Though I'm not sure what's up with the tier distance between him and Fox considering their recoveries are nearly identical.
Fire Fox covers much more distance than Fire Bird, while Fox Illusion's distance is as same as Falco Phantasm, but Falco Phantasm soft spikes. Although, the distance difference may be a big deal, since the safety of those two aren't really much different anyway (Falco has his flinching laser, but that's about it).

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Quite Disagree with Lucario's espeed ranking being so high.

Does it go far? Yes. However it often stage gimps itself with even slightly wrong angles, is very easy to intercept/spike for characters like Cpt falcon, and has extreme ending lag if you do not land on the stage.

I would drop it to at least A tier, if not lower.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
At first I wondered why Falco was farther from Fox too, but then I realized that Falco's Side-B phantasm doesn't have as much hit-box activity as Fox's phantasm does. Even if Falco's Meteor smashes, the range favors Falco more-so to use the back-side of the Phantasm rather than any frontal coverage for himself. He could simply be edge-guarded by a rogue F-air & it would probably work (not literally but yeah). At least Fox's phantasm & Fire Fox makes up for his naturally high falling speed stat.

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
At first I wondered why Falco was farther from Fox too, but then I realized that Falco's Side-B phantasm doesn't have as much hit-box activity as Fox's phantasm does. Even if Falco's Meteor smashes, the range favors Falco more-so to use the back-side of the Phantasm rather than any frontal coverage for himself. He could simply be edge-guarded by a rogue F-air & it would probably work (not literally but yeah). At least Fox's phantasm & Fire Fox makes up for his naturally high falling speed stat.
Can confirm on Falco's recovery being consistently dunked by DK quite easily. His second jump's height isn't very good either, so not much help lended there.

Last edited:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Though I'm not sure what's up with the tier distance between him and Fox considering their recoveries are nearly identical.
Fire Fox covers much more distance than Fire Bird...
Pretty much this, in that Fox's greater up B distance not only gives him better vertical and diagonal recovery, but it allows him a bit more safety by merit of being able to fox fire from farther away than Falco can fire bird. That said, I'm not 100% on his placement either-- a step below Fox always feels a bit 'closer' to right, since it's just the one main facet different.

Might move Ike down to high B tier and have Falco take his old spot-- Ike's safety on up B is about equal to Falco's on side B, while Falco's better flexibility has him feeling slightly better. Also considering moving Palutena up (safety), MM down (horizontal recovery), Luigi up (he might be fitting for Falco's old slot), or so on... not sold on any of them as changes, of course, just brainstorming. It's difficult to tell whether basing Luigi on his 'best case scenario' is actually practical, though-- I've only ever seen Boss gain momentum with his tornado sans double-jump, for example.
True, and those are the core reasons for his current placement, but, honestly, horizontal recovery is feeling a bit more important in general than vertical, so I'm considering weighing it in more heavily across the board. It's always been enough for, say, DK to be better than Ganondorf, but horizontal powerhouses like Luigi are really breaking new ground. I think that Falco is potentially a bit past Samus and co-- particularly since I'm recently finding more and more instances of gimping Samus despite screw attack's far-improved hitboxes.
Quite Disagree with Lucario's espeed ranking being so high.

Does it go far? Yes. However it often stage gimps itself with even slightly wrong angles, is very easy to intercept/spike for characters like Cpt falcon, and has extreme ending lag if you do not land on the stage.

I would drop it to at least A tier, if not lower.
I've been watching a lot more games lately (rather than just testing), and seeing even really good Lucarios get screwed up by the occasional up B flub has been rather enlightening... I think I might agree with the idea of Lucario being lower-- albeit I still think he's at least S- material, given that his recovery's minor flaws are still quite situational ones. He's no worse off than Jiggly, who can actually be feasibly gimped out of jumps. 'If you land on stage', 'if you angle it wrong' and such are not massively relevant in 99% of cases, however, as we're trying to minimize the influence of ID:147 errors on ratings. We're trying to assume a sweetspotted ledge and a mastery of the recovery. Now, Lucario's recovery does feel to be 'practically unmasterable', at present, because of memorization of % ranges, the speed, the fluid angling, the lip-bouncing, and the simple difficulty of sweetspotting when you have to aim from a magnifying glass... but none of those are frequent enough issues that Lucario isn't all but ideal in 'a majority of situations', from what I've seen thus far.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Updated to 3.3! Horizontal recovery is the tagline of this update...

S+ is now for those with recoveries that are almost always consistently good, rated for that consistency, and thus in the order of Pikachu/Shiek/Villager/Greninja/ZSS. ZSS barely makes it in, to be honest, due to her occasional issues with up B, well, sucking, but she's still a cut above Lucario, who's moved down to S, which is the 'new S-'. Every tier in S and A moved up to put that extra free space in the middle, with S now being Lucario/Zelda/G&W/Metaknight/Jigglypuff. Lucario's problems with aura-randomness and SD potential keeps him out of S+, while G&W's options, horizontal distance, and acting out of up B has him passing MK.

Peach and Brawler (*112) are up by Fox, for having similarly excellent horizontal recovery along with their own perks to vertical recovery (nice safety and mixups respectively). The newly emptied A- tier, meanwhile is now Palutena/Rosalina/Falco/Luigi. Palutena lacks for range and options pretty severely, Rosalina conversely lacks for consistency and safety, and Falco/Luigi have horizontal range like Fox, with a few issues keeping them from quite reaching the same tier as him. Luigi is up next to Falco for having potentially better vertical recovery, due to the insanity that is down B mashing mechanics.

Megaman is down by Ike and Yoshi, for lacking in horizontal options enough to feel the need to be placed a bit less distant from Link, while Brawler **22 moves up to join them as well, for having some of the game's best horizontal recovery/safety, despite that pretty piddly vertical range. Speed Shulk is up by the Links, for feeling about equivalent with that extra horizontal flexibility and similarly solid up B, while standard Shulk and ROB slide up next to WFT as Robin passes Swordsman 3 (whose air speed is quite pathetic) to settle just after Marth.

Anywhos, but I tried watching a few hours worth of high level games to help out with some of the changes this update, rather than just my own testing in a vacuum as the sole supplement to everyone's feedback here. Let me know what everyone thinks of the slightly shifted approach. ^^

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I'd say DK and Bowser Jr. have better recoveries than your list implies. You bumped up Luigi an entire tier due to jumpless cyclone, but Dr. Mario can do that too. Maybe that should bump him up a few slots too. I don't see how vanilla Shulk has a better recovery than Marth/Lucina. Default Shulk is easier to edgeguard/gimp overall and less maneuverable in the air. Gunner should probably get at least 3 different slots like the other Mii Fighters.

DK has one of the best horizontal recoveries in the game due to both his excellent air speed and his Up B's duration. His Up B also has intangibility frames during the initial hit, does up to 36 damage, and boosts his air speed even further. While the height gained from it isn't ideal, DK can go extremely deep horizontally and still come back with just his Up B. His Up B gives him such overkill horizontal mobility that you can stall or outmaneuver obvious spike attempts.

When someone like Mario/Marth/Shulk takes a solid hit offstage without a double jump, there is a good chance they won't make it back. With DK, this is never an issue except against characters with large and long lasting spikes. If you don't have a spike and don't KO him outright, DK will always be able to make it back with just his Up B. The fact that there is no meteor canceling in this game makes almost any spike KO you before you can even attempt to recover anyway, regardless of who you are. His recovery is at least C+ or better.

Bowser Jr. has very good recovery with his Side B renewing your double jump and giving you added mobility. I can't see how he can be ranked lower than a Marth/Lucina when the distance he can cover is like double theirs. Even if every now and then your Up B doesn't refresh on hit, with Side B alone his recovery is better than C tier. Honestly, I'd put him in B tier at minimum.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I have to argue for *GASP* Dr. Mario being ranked lower than Ganondorf. I actually argued this with somebody else. Aside from some highly questionable reasoning from them (using a factor nobody else in this topic is using), they seemed content with ignoring some of Doc's options and attributes and practically giving Ganon a free pass.

So I have to ask: Why does Doc, who has statistically better air movement and a slower fall speed, the options to mix up his recovery timing, a projectile to cover the area slightly below him, the Tornado which, while not gaining as much height as it should, does regain some height AND can respectably challenge some direct gimp attempts, and finally an Up B that does bring a threat to challenge... Gets ranked lower than Ganon who effectively has Up B, Side B, and little else but a prayer?

Yes I know Up B's distance is paltry and Tornado does little to improve it and Wall Jump is stage specific and doesn't always add much to his recovery. Meanwhile for all that Ganon doesn't have, Up B does have decent height to it. But we're supposed to consider these factors:

:4ganondorf:Vertical, Horizontal, and Diagonal Distances - With all his options Doc slightly wins out vertically and diagonally. Otherwise Ganon wins. Ganon always wins Horizontally. A very slight edge to Ganon.

:4drmario:Air Speed - Doc is ten rankings higher than Ganon
:4drmario:Hitboxes - Ganon's the larger character, easier to target
:4drmario::4ganondorf:Vulnerability to gimps/spikes - Both are highly vulnerable to a well timed gimp or spike. The lower Doc is, the worse his chances than Ganon, but his changes strongly improve the higher he is while Ganon is pretty straightforward.
:4drmario:Flexibility/Predictability/Options - Doc easily wins this as initially described above
:4ganondorf:Reliability - Probably depends on the opposing character. I suppose Ganon edges this out by a sliver if only 'cause sweetspotting the ledge is more straightforward and is done from a lower point. Again, Doc's wall jump is stage dependent.
:4drmario:Defensive Aerials, Actions Out of Up B, Ledge Sweetspots... - Doc doesn't sacrifice as much by defending himself in the air. On the ledge Ganon has leggier hitboxes but AFAIK has to decide between defending the ledge or getting off of it safely while Doc can get back on the stage with a double jump aerial. Ganon does threaten with Side B, but that's a suicide maneuver. I'm less sure on this, but I'd give the edge to the Doc

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
I'd say DK and Bowser Jr. have better recoveries than your list implies. You bumped up Luigi an entire tier due to jumpless cyclone, but Dr. Mario can do that too. Maybe that should bump him up a few slots too. I don't see how vanilla Shulk has a better recovery than Marth/Lucina. Default Shulk is easier to edgeguard/gimp overall and less maneuverable in the air. Gunner should probably get at least 3 different slots like the other Mii Fighters.

DK has one of the best horizontal recoveries in the game due to both his excellent air speed and his Up B's duration. His Up B also has intangibility frames during the initial hit, does up to 36 damage, and boosts his air speed even further. While the height gained from it isn't ideal, DK can go extremely deep horizontally and still come back with just his Up B. His Up B gives him such overkill horizontal mobility that you can stall or outmaneuver obvious spike attempts.

When someone like Mario/Marth/Shulk takes a solid hit offstage without a double jump, there is a good chance they won't make it back. With DK, this is never an issue except against characters with large and long lasting spikes. If you don't have a spike and don't KO him outright, DK will always be able to make it back with just his Up B. The fact that there is no meteor canceling in this game makes almost any spike KO you before you can even attempt to recover anyway, regardless of who you are. His recovery is at least C+ or better.

Bowser Jr. has very good recovery with his Side B renewing your double jump and giving you added mobility. I can't see how he can be ranked lower than a Marth/Lucina when the distance he can cover is like double theirs. Even if every now and then your Up B doesn't refresh on hit, with Side B alone his recovery is better than C tier. Honestly, I'd put him in B tier at minimum.
I love detailed, thoughtful posts like this-- always lead to some great new insights. DK's placement is an artifact from 1.0, and he's moved very little for one main reason: he feels to be similar to Bowser, just with worse vertical recovery. My first question, then, becomes whether you think that perspective is off, or whether you're saying Bowser deserves to rise as well. My perspective on how easily DK can be spiked is, of course, based on my singular experiences more than anything, but his resilience to horizontal gimping is certainly outstanding. For the sake of clarity, we'll use 'behind Brawler **22' as an absolute maximum (as brawler 2 is similarly all-horizontal, but with more mixups and such), and we'll discuss how far below that point DK should be placed. Most importantly, though, we also need to figure where that puts Bowser, whose recovery is so similar. Still, I can certainly see somewhere in the B tiers or higher C being possible, if we can figure out how Bowser factors in to all of that.

Shulk rose mostly from his up B feeling safer from things like Falcon's Utilt spike and whatnot, but I hadn't even been thinking to re-compare their air speeds and such. After another look, I can definitely agree that they're more equal... perhaps Marth/Lucina above just for the neutral B and the side B hops (which I only learned were still a thing moments ago). Bowser Jr. was as low as he is specifically for his up B's gimpability, but that was also a placement that disregards my new knowledge that you can get the clown car back by hitting A or such when hit, so he's apt to be placed back up to nearer MM's position, for having a worse 'spring type' recovery, but horizontal options with side B. Dr. Mario I'll speak more on below, but which of the Gunners do you feel has a superior recovery than the others? I combined them after a few hours testing had them feeling to each be 'different, but not significantly better nor worse than each other', but I'm certainly open to re-discussing them. Does **2* feel a tier higher? Lower? Are **1* and **3* not so comparable as my impression of them?
I have to argue for *GASP* Dr. Mario being ranked lower than Ganondorf. I actually argued this with somebody else. Aside from some highly questionable reasoning from them (using a factor nobody else in this topic is using), they seemed content with ignoring some of Doc's options and attributes and practically giving Ganon a free pass.

So I have to ask: Why does Doc, who has statistically better air movement and a slower fall speed, the options to mix up his recovery timing, a projectile to cover the area slightly below him, the Tornado which, while not gaining as much height as it should, does regain some height AND can respectably challenge some direct gimp attempts, and finally an Up B that does bring a threat to challenge... Gets ranked lower than Ganon who effectively has Up B, Side B, and little else but a prayer?

Yes I know Up B's distance is paltry and Tornado does little to improve it and Wall Jump is stage specific and doesn't always add much to his recovery. Meanwhile for all that Ganon doesn't have, Up B does have decent height to it. But we're supposed to consider these factors:

:4ganondorf:Vertical, Horizontal, and Diagonal Distances - With all his options Doc slightly wins out vertically and diagonally. Otherwise Ganon wins. Ganon always wins Horizontally. A very slight edge to Ganon.

:4drmario:Air Speed - Doc is ten rankings higher than Ganon
:4drmario:Hitboxes - Ganon's the larger character, easier to target
:4drmario::4ganondorf:Vulnerability to gimps/spikes - Both are highly vulnerable to a well timed gimp or spike. The lower Doc is, the worse his chances than Ganon, but his changes strongly improve the higher he is while Ganon is pretty straightforward.
:4drmario:Flexibility/Predictability/Options - Doc easily wins this as initially described above
:4ganondorf:Reliability - Probably depends on the opposing character. I suppose Ganon edges this out by a sliver if only 'cause sweetspotting the ledge is more straightforward and is done from a lower point. Again, Doc's wall jump is stage dependent.
:4drmario:Defensive Aerials, Actions Out of Up B, Ledge Sweetspots... - Doc doesn't sacrifice as much by defending himself in the air. On the ledge Ganon has leggier hitboxes but AFAIK has to decide between defending the ledge or getting off of it safely while Doc can get back on the stage with a double jump aerial. Ganon does threaten with Side B, but that's a suicide maneuver. I'm less sure on this, but I'd give the edge to the Doc
...And like this. ^^ I think your first sentence was meant to say 'higher' than Ganon? The fact that Doc's tornado's mashing is able to take one higher than I can physically replicate is a key factor. Doc's mostly below Ganon at-present because he's one of the only characters bar LM who can SD from a shorthopped action off the stage-- it quite heavily colored my perspective, as Doc so often seems to find himself unable to even attempt recovery due to range issues. The idea was that, while Ganon may be gimped when recovering, at least he can actually reach the ledge when not hassled.

That said, I quite agree with the points you're making, I'm just trying to determine how relevant each factor is. The keynote is that this is meant to measure approximately the probability that one will recover, and adding together factors of that is the simplest means of doing so. Now, if we factor in just tornado, that still has them reaching nearly equal terms, so I can see the superior aerials and safety and air speed certainly having quite the influence, it's just a matter of range-- as Palutena has shown, all the safety in the world isn't a guarantee that one will recover. Given that tornado has his recovery feeling much more similar to Mario's, I'd say placing DMMD just behind Mario seems fair, and, given how the other clones have come to be placed, quite likely to be fairly accurate at this point. That said, does anyone feel Mario needs moving? I doubt it'd be too far, of course, but he does have a few perks over Swordfighter 3, and we all know Diddy's problems have him eternally failing to argue against almost anyone who considers passing him. I mean, LM may have the game's worst range, but Diddy's likely got the game's worst safety.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I too agree that Marth/Lucina can be higher than Shulk for their Neutral-B Shield Breaker with their air speed movement really helps them recover regularly, however their Dolphin Slash isn't on the level of Air Slash, which you can delay the 1st hit of Air Slash in order to cover more horizontal distance after the 2nd hit of Air Slash finishes. Although the same can be said for Dolphin Slash if you're holding the analog stick towards the direction you're recovering, Air Slash does that & more with the choice of either pressing twice quickly to get vertical height, or delaying it to get more horizontal reach which really helps.

Air Slash sweetspots the ledge with the start-up of his 1st & 2nd slash so it's trickier to be safe with Shulk's Up-B rather than Marth & Lucina who sweetspot the ledge very easily with theirs, so I'm fine with Shulk being a tad placement behind them.

David Viran

Smash Lord
S+ is now for those with recoveries that are almost always consistently good, rated for that consistency, and thus in the order of Pikachu/Shiek/Villager/Greninja/ZSS. ZSS barely makes it in, to be honest, due to her occasional issues with up B, well, sucking, ^^
Yeah her up b insn't really bad but it is just ok at recovering and thank god you will never have to really use it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I love detailed, thoughtful posts like this-- always lead to some great new insights. DK's placement is an artifact from 1.0, and he's moved very little for one main reason: he feels to be similar to Bowser, just with worse vertical recovery. My first question, then, becomes whether you think that perspective is off, or whether you're saying Bowser deserves to rise as well. My perspective on how easily DK can be spiked is, of course, based on my singular experiences more than anything, but his resilience to horizontal gimping is certainly outstanding. For the sake of clarity, we'll use 'behind Brawler **22' as an absolute maximum (as brawler 2 is similarly all-horizontal, but with more mixups and such), and we'll discuss how far below that point DK should be placed. Most importantly, though, we also need to figure where that puts Bowser, whose recovery is so similar. Still, I can certainly see somewhere in the B tiers or higher C being possible, if we can figure out how Bowser factors in to all of that.

Shulk rose mostly from his up B feeling safer from things like Falcon's Utilt spike and whatnot, but I hadn't even been thinking to re-compare their air speeds and such. After another look, I can definitely agree that they're more equal... perhaps Marth/Lucina above just for the neutral B and the side B hops (which I only learned were still a thing moments ago). Bowser Jr. was as low as he is specifically for his up B's gimpability, but that was also a placement that disregards my new knowledge that you can get the clown car back by hitting A or such when hit, so he's apt to be placed back up to nearer MM's position, for having a worse 'spring type' recovery, but horizontal options with side B. Dr. Mario I'll speak more on below, but which of the Gunners do you feel has a superior recovery than the others? I combined them after a few hours testing had them feeling to each be 'different, but not significantly better nor worse than each other', but I'm certainly open to re-discussing them. Does **2* feel a tier higher? Lower? Are **1* and **3* not so comparable as my impression of them?
As far as Gunner is concerned, I would rank at least rank **2* a tad lower than the other two by virtue of distance lost. It protects itself better than the other 2 and is more capable as an offensive move, but the reduced distance makes it a little less flexible/predictable. The other 2 specials are preference based mostly imo. I like 1 better than 3, but I haven't really explored 3 much.

Bowser trades horizontal maneuverability for more height when compared to DK. If you start his Up B w/o any momentum or with momentum in the wrong direction, you just hover in place and die. With DK it isn't a big deal what direction you are facing or what momentum you have. Unlike Bowser, DK's Up B can even be B-Reversed to reverse momentum/orientation, input backwards to adjust only your orientation, or both to Wavebounce. Even if you fail to do either properly, the duration of the move makes it somewhat forgiving to drift towards where you need to be. Overall I'd rank them pretty evenly recovery-wise. Bowser's Tough Guy armor and extra vertical height on Up B make him less susceptible to weak spike gimps, but his recovery is less flexible and the hitboxes don't protect him as well as DK's. The B- to B range for both seems reasonable to me. Neither have any real trouble making it back, but have recoveries that can be exploited by certain characters.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Holy chicken steak! Luigi literally just jumped 3 tiers at once!

I was about to object, but then I saw jumpless Cyclone. Dude, yeah, Luigi Cyclone CAN be pushed to that level. But really, unless you are Boss, the struggle is real XD.

Boss' way on recovering greatly differs from ours, and it's less gimpable as well. Although for our daily use, Luigi would be around B+ or something, but since his recovery CAN be pushed to that level....

A- seem reasonable. I think I need to watch more jumpless Cyclones to actually realize on how far it goes horizontally. But I assume it goes just as far as our usual jumped Cyclone? it's reasonable then.

I'll look more at the list to see what objections I have later. Using 3G here and it's slow as heck.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Tested Doc and Ganondorf, and it ends up....
Ganondorf has better vertical recovery
Doc has better horizontal recovery

Doc uses Tornado for horizontal only, unlike Luigi Cyclone. His ways are also different. He has to Dr. Tornado and gain as much altidute as possible, then quickly double jump and SJP to grab that ledge. I am quite surprised on how far he can go. Not even beginning to compare with Luigi's, but still.

I'd say Doc can sit next to Ganondorf now. But I recommend you to test it to make sure.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
As far as Gunner is concerned, I would rank at least rank **2* a tad lower than the other two by virtue of distance lost. It protects itself better than the other 2 and is more capable as an offensive move, but the reduced distance makes it a little less flexible/predictable. The other 2 specials are preference based mostly imo. I like 1 better than 3, but I haven't really explored 3 much.

Bowser trades horizontal maneuverability for more height when compared to DK. If you start his Up B w/o any momentum or with momentum in the wrong direction, you just hover in place and die. With DK it isn't a big deal what direction you are facing or what momentum you have. Unlike Bowser, DK's Up B can even be B-Reversed to reverse momentum/orientation, input backwards to adjust only your orientation, or both to Wavebounce. Even if you fail to do either properly, the duration of the move makes it somewhat forgiving to drift towards where you need to be. Overall I'd rank them pretty evenly recovery-wise. Bowser's Tough Guy armor and extra vertical height on Up B make him less susceptible to weak spike gimps, but his recovery is less flexible and the hitboxes don't protect him as well as DK's. The B- to B range for both seems reasonable to me. Neither have any real trouble making it back, but have recoveries that can be exploited by certain characters.
Keep in mind, predictability is mainly relevant for what holes it pokes in one's safety-- Palutena is hardly going to be surprising anyone, but her safety makes that predictability only marginally relevant, as she's invulnerable from the start of up B 'till she's already on the ledge. 1 and 3 feel quite similar for up B on Gunner, in any case, but have you given 2 a try? Play it in a couple of games against some people, ideally, to get a sense of how much safer it is as gimp after gimp fails to connect. For that matter, you get a surprisingly healthy amount of drift out of it-- not that Gunners really need the help recovering horizontally, thinking of it... It has less range, sure, but that feels like a tradeoff, given that the other two all but lack useful protection hitboxes (as a Robin main, I can assure you that the hitbox on 1 as an up B is something I'd trade for something that protects from attacks from above in a heartbeat). Honestly, 2 might be just behind 1/3, but if it's going to be gunner 1/3 right next to gunner 2, I don't really see the point in cluttering the list further-- Brawler certainly deserves it for having such extremes of recovery available within their options, of course, and I'd almost fuse Swordfighter if not for the fact that **3* manages to be more usable than anything with 1/2 by a fair margin... It's the same character, after all, with the only different factors for gunner (as only up B is relevant) being range and safety... which, for the purposes of this list, should be treated as roughly equivalent. Safety is what has Diddy down by Mario, after all. Air speed, coverage moves, even horizontal distance is pretty similar between all Gunenrs (as they all have Fair, good air speed, etc.). Also, for the record, I've been testing Miis of differing sizes and such, and their main differences feel to be in attack speed and attack range... even their weight feels to be very strictly consistent, and the differences between even a short/thin Mii and a tall/wide Mii feels pretty minimal in terms of recovery thus far-- I think we can consider it to be a negligible factor.

As for DK and Bowser, I can agree with them being relatively equal, given those descriptions. Of the two, I think that I'll still place Bowser above, if only because of his tricks like recovering high to sweetspot down B to ledge, or even air-grabbing with side B to flip to stage. Well, that, and I've never really seen a Bowser in a situation where they didn't have enough horizontal recovery distance-- once you can make it back from the blast zones, after all, distance beyond that has some sharp diminishing returns. I'll do as is my usual inclination and likely keep them at a cautious midpoint, likely higher B- or such, in my new placement of them, then-- they can always slip higher if such feels warranted, of course.
Tested Doc and Ganondorf, and it ends up....
Ganondorf has better vertical recovery
Doc has better horizontal recovery

Doc uses Tornado for horizontal only, unlike Luigi Cyclone. His ways are also different. He has to Dr. Tornado and gain as much altidute as possible, then quickly double jump and SJP to grab that ledge. I am quite surprised on how far he can go. Not even beginning to compare with Luigi's, but still.

I'd say Doc can sit next to Ganondorf now. But I recommend you to test it to make sure.
Appreciate the efforts. Given the comparisons and information presented earlier, I'm fine with Doc being a touch above Ganondorf, even if it requires a handspeed that I flatly can't manage for it to reach its full potential (my play's entirely prediction and mindgames, dammit-- how does one manage to be bad at button mashing!?). But yeah, I can just baaarely get lift out of Doc's tornado, and certainly only from a jump. But yeah, Luigi very much feels to fit within A-. He has some clear issues (like Rosalina's lack of hitboxes, Palutena's range, and Falco's gimpability), but they don't really manage to inhibit his recovery overly much in a typical game. Fireballs to cover him and tornado-to-stage-from-ledge options are what really clinch it, though-- it's a tier for the new emphasis on horizontal recovery, a tier for the jumpless tornado, and a tier for stage covering options, invulnerability during up B, et cetera... If Doc has better horizontal, in any case, we can call them 'even' in distance, with Ganon a touch lower for his Falcon-but-worse gimpability. Falcon himself will likely remain above doc, however, for lacking the same problems of being quite so massive an air-slow hitbox and such.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Alright, aaand updated to 3.4! As a refreshing change of pace, all the changes are to B and below-- quite the contrast to the usual update wherein I move Villager ten more times or the like. Safety is the name of the game this time around, and the focus is on cleaning up some of the lower tiers with more thoughtful placement of those who had stuck to very nearly their version 1 placements.

Bowser Jr. is up by Samus now, for getting his up B back when hit, acting out of up B, and for his side B... but, honestly, it's almost entirely for the whole 'gets up B back' thing, as I can even imagine him mechakoopa tricking it as Link might. He might fall if that trait of regaining up B proves inconsistent, of course, but likely no further down than ROB. Bowser himself, meanwhile, is up in B-, mostly to follow suit with DK-- still a smidge above Kong, but both feel very much to be only slightly worse off than Link and co-- and that's for lacking tether/projectile mixups, mostly. ROB slides down a bit to clarify the gap between them and WFT, though no one is passed by doing so.

Shulk is down a bit, for my mixing up his airspeed with Speed forms, and Speed form is down nearer to WFT-- honestly the monado arts make keeping a straight memory of his stats a slight logistics nightmare. Mostly, though, it's to clarify that there's space between him and Marthina (my new abbreviation that I haven't bothered to check on if it's a thing...), and Robin joins him. Robin has less range, speed, and safety than Marthina, while the Gunner moves slightly past Marthina, for lacking either the range or the safety, depending on the set.

Mario is up to C, finally becoming the cornerstone of mediocrity that he always aspires to as his ungimpable up B proves even more valuable than Luigi's, with wall jumping, cape, and Fludd having him feel to be just behind Robin, given his superior safety. Diddy, meanwhile, takes the plumber's old place, for just being all-around dreadful, lets be honest. The only reason he's still that step above DHD is because he at least has the wallclings and side B going for him-- though, after seeming some DHDs neutral Bing to cover their return to stage, I'm actually starting to wonder a bit if that uncancelable up B may have its bright sides...

Swordfighters 1 and 2 are fused because there just wasn't enough space between them, while Dr. Mario rises up next to Ganondorf for his better airspeed, safety, horizontal recovery, stage coverage on a high return, and for the simple fact that he has both the invulnerable up B and the tornado trickery that had Luigi rise so drastically... even if both happen to be strictly worse by several measures. And, since it's no longer necessary to make a full tier to clarify that Mac is worse than Doc (wait, how has no one ever made mention of that coincidence of nicknaming?), the 'worst' tier is abolished-- particularly since Defense Shulk would honestly move down were there more characters bar LM to pass. Either way, the two feel fairly equivalent, now.

Edit: Ack-- double post... I tend to forget to check when writing a reminder about updates that it's the same as posting... woops.

Last edited:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Well, I hate to make this a triple post, but it would be a bit weird to have this as an edit to my last post... I've been working to unlock all the specials once more on the Wii U version and whatnot before I begin testing custom moves. Honestly, I'm rather starting to find that there aren't many 'suspects' whose recovery seems off-- whether that's just me or the rankings are settling, though, is a bit of an unknown. Does anyone feel particularly 'off', still? Kirby? Charizard? Palutena? Ike? DHD? Yoshi? WFT? Diddy? Sonic? Megaman? I can't really find any reasons to move more around on my own thus-far.

That said, I can re-split gunner if there's any consensus on 1/3 being different or of 2 being notably better/worse rather than my impression that they're balanced. Other than that, I'm not sure of any points I missed, and so I might just start in on custom moves. Do any characters' custom moves strike anyone as important/unimportant to cover first? I don't yet have all the customs to test, so any footnotes I can have prior are apt to help.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
[Bowser Jr.] might fall if that trait of regaining up B proves inconsistent
As far as we know, it's based on the knockback of the move that hit him. Seems like if the attack doesn't have enough knockback to cause knockdown, he doesn't get the clown car back.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Has Olimar been considered being higher on the list? Because this clip of Dabuz's Olimar versing Anti at Collision XI convinced me that perhaps Olimar can secretly have more potential recovering back than most of the cast. .

http://youtu.be/AJPL8MgnQfo?t=6m5s

http://youtu.be/AJPL8MgnQfo?t=6m11s

Apologies in advance if this has already been considered.

Last edited:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
As far as we know, it's based on the knockback of the move that hit him. Seems like if the attack doesn't have enough knockback to cause knockdown, he doesn't get the clown car back.
Well, for the time being BowJow will remain tentatively around Samus and co., and I'll see about looking into what else might disrupt his up B recovery-- I imagine that a move that doesn't cause knockdown would be rather hard pressed to really gimp him, so it's a rather curious state of affairs, I suppose.
Has Olimar been considered being higher on the list? Because this clip of Dabuz's Olimar versing Anti at Collision XI convinced me that perhaps Olimar can secretly have more potential recovering back than most of the cast. .

http://youtu.be/AJPL8MgnQfo?t=6m5s

http://youtu.be/AJPL8MgnQfo?t=6m11s

Apologies in advance if this has already been considered.
Hmm... For the record, Olimar is listed already as above 'most of the cast', (18th place, if just counting defaults). That said, being able to scoot to the far ledge that quickly is rather unheard of, which significantly buffs his potential recovery... on select stages. Walled Omegas are what immediately strike me, making this feel rather like an inverse wall-jump in terms of potential. Still, it's certainly better recovery than Kirby gets. For that matter, I'm apt to swap Olimar's place with Kirby's and move Kirby's copy forms down a bit... if not even put Kirby lower. Kirby's up B is unsafe, his jumps aren't exactly quick, and he has minimal air coverage to protect him from stage spikes, footstools, traditional spikes, et cetera... I can imagine seeing Kirby down by Rosalina or so, really.

---

Besides that, I'm pondering if Falcon might rise, if only as high as Diddy Kong or so. Other than that, I'm mostly pondering at S- through A+; Kirby aside, Sonic, Pac Man, Dedede, and the Pits strike me as potentially a bit off. Those higher might be a bit off in order, but they seem to all belong in S+ through S, barring maaaybe Jigglypuff. The main other outlier I'm pondering is Mii Fighter, mostly because practice has me feeling that every up B is entirely irrelevant in the face of Feint Kick's distance-- especially since it requires a double jump to even use them out of Feint Jump (to my knowledge). Still, saving a second jump is fairly standard for recovering, so I don't expect too much turmoil over that...

As for customs, so far Luigi's striking me as the first particularly significant change-- between varied missiles and an insane cyclone distance (at the cost of an extremely valuable attack, granted, but that's another topic...), he certainly has some notable changes. That said, now I'm wondering at how to go about adding custom moves, syntax-wise... should an extra icon for the character with just a (####) beside it indicate the 'best' recovery options their customs provide? Should worse options be ignored? Intermediates between 'best' and default? Should default be marked with (1111), or kept unannotated to minimize cluttertext?

Between unlocking custom moves, monster hunter 4's demo, a fistfight, japanese captchas, and ordering a capture card/camera equipment (unfortunately not a 3ds capture card, as I have an XL-- but a tripod and such can hopefully help...), I've had quite the hectic week, though. Still be a bit before the next update, in any case.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Well, for the time being BowJow will remain tentatively around Samus and co., and I'll see about looking into what else might disrupt his up B recovery-- I imagine that a move that doesn't cause knockdown would be rather hard pressed to really gimp him, so it's a rather curious state of affairs, I suppose.
You'd be surprised. At lower percents, many aerials don't cause knockdown (characters with sex kicks can use the weak hit at essentially any percent), and moves such as Bowser's or Charizard's neutralB prevent him from ever recovering low. I think he's fine where he currently is though, just because his recovery's distance is stellar and he retains the ability to attack and airdodge after upB.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
You'd be surprised. At lower percents, many aerials don't cause knockdown (characters with sex kicks can use the weak hit at essentially any percent), and moves such as Bowser's or Charizard's neutralB prevent him from ever recovering low. I think he's fine where he currently is though, just because his recovery's distance is stellar and he retains the ability to attack and airdodge after upB.
Appreciate the clarification. Also? I never imagined that the term 'sex kick' would ever evoke freaking nostalgia, but, well, there it is. I'm so used to terms like wave dancing seeing such constant use despite being defunct that I entirely forgot that old snippet of melee lingo. How have I not heard that in so long?

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
So, now that Mewtwo is out, what's everyone thinking about his recovery? I find his recovery is very solid. A large floaty second jump, the ability to use confusion for a small pop into the air, and a teleport. I find he's pretty good at recovery honestly, but I'm only testing him on hypothetical grounds. I think he could avoid gimps well, but I'm not entirely sure

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So, now that Mewtwo is out, what's everyone thinking about his recovery? I find his recovery is very solid. A large floaty second jump, the ability to use confusion for a small pop into the air, and a teleport. I find he's pretty good at recovery honestly, but I'm only testing him on hypothetical grounds. I think he could avoid gimps well, but I'm not entirely sure
Also B-reverse shadow ball acts like Marth's shieldbreaker, but if he has it charged, helps recovery on command

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I think Pikachu has a rival best for non Kribynado recovery

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I wouldn't rank Mewtwo as a rival to Pika. He's good, but his telly lacks any hitboxes, and doesn't have QA's finesse. Also, he doesn't have a move like Skull Bash, which assist's Pika's horizontal recovery as well
Well his teleport is completely unsnipable outside of the universal 1 frame from grabbing the ledge. Confusion aids his horizontal recovery along with b reversed Shadow ball

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Disclaimer: I don't own Mewtwo so I'm only basing my lesser opinion from what I've observed after fighting the character.

For an estimated rank, I'd say higher anything higher than B+ Tier lead by :4megaman:. :4mewtwo: could be S tier material but I dunno. A Mewtwo that would recover acts similarly to a Yoshi recovering in a manner that they never want to get footstooled, & that's by using a doublejump + airdodge's invincibility for almost all of the Doublejump. Teleport is a mini version of this not to mention that his Disable had a stall-then-fall effect? Maybe I wasn't analyzing his movement clearly, but yeah.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I think Mewtwo has a great recovery. Confusion gives better forward movement and his midair jump and Teleport cover a lot of ground

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Mewtwo has plenty of options for recovery and even an active hitbox while doing so. Don't believe me?

using Nair on his second jump grants you an active attack whithout losing air momentum, so it's a great option to get on stage with.

Confusion is great for that extra hop and it protects mewtwo from any thrown or shot projectiles while he is recovering.

Lastly, teleport is a friggin teleport. There is a reason why people love this about zelda and Palutena. It's simple and pretty safe. Just do not forget those slopes!

if anything fails, tho, Mewtwo actually can wall jump, too! And there is also the B-reverse shadow ball glide that grants massive knockback.

Bottom line: Mewtwo WILL come back. He has to. He's too light to be gimped easily off stage, he cannot afford a bad recovery

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Mewtwo has plenty of options for recovery and even an active hitbox while doing so. Don't believe me?

using Nair on his second jump grants you an active attack whithout losing air momentum, so it's a great option to get on stage with.

Confusion is great for that extra hop and it protects mewtwo from any thrown or shot projectiles while he is recovering.

Lastly, teleport is a friggin teleport. There is a reason why people love this about zelda and Palutena. It's simple and pretty safe. Just do not forget those slopes!

if anything fails, tho, Mewtwo actually can wall jump, too! And there is also the B-reverse shadow ball glide that grants massive knockback.

Bottom line: Mewtwo WILL come back. He has to. He's too light to be gimped easily off stage, he cannot afford a bad recovery
The fact that Mewtwo can Walljump alone amazes me.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Mewtwo...

My current estimation is that he'd place somewhere in the range of A to S, as he seems to have a recovery game that works like a much more flexible Palutena. Because of the lack of hitbox, lack of multiple jumps, and I assume similar potential to be ledge-trumped as Palutena, he wouldn't be the best recovery by any stretch, but he's still certain to place above Palutena.

The real question is how well does he stack up against multi-jump recoveries in terms of safety and flexibility. My more specific assumption is that he'd be either at the top of A+ or the bottom of S-, as he seems to have less problems than Kirby, but multi-jumpers with more options that Kirby still seem likely to come out on top...

I'd have more analysis, but I've been pretty ill this past month, and I ended up missing what was apparently a deadline for the Mewtwo download, so there's not much I can do in way of testing beyond reading notes on Mewtwo's few mechanical changes and then popping melee to refresh my memory of his aerial feel. But walljumps, momentum tricks with his specials, a nicer Nair for coverage, and a better teleport than Palutena is certainly quite the solid set of tools for Mewtwo, in any case.

If everyone else has some consensus, or near enough of one, on his placement, I can still update the rankings, I just can't speak from experience for once until Nintendo lets me get my Mewtwo. ._.

---

As for other characters, I've been a bit busy with the chaos of learning to make videos even before that, so I hadn't had much time on my hands for much else. In any case, I'm considering Kirby taking Olimar's spot, with Olimar getting a placement nearer to Dedede. Mii Gunner *2** will likely be split from the rest of the gunners once more to get placement the slightest bit lower, while Kirby+Specials will probably be in Kirby's current slot or so...

I've still no real clue what customs are significant enough to warrant a character's differing placement when utilizing different moves, in any case, as I've still finished with custom unlocks either, but I think that the current formatting will do-- I'll only be adding recoveries that are improvements to the list, as far as customs go, however... at least as a starting point.

I guess my main question is just 'does anyone object to Mewtwo having a placement despite my lack of personal testing'. If not, I can provide another update whilst finally getting on with custom testing more.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think that R.O.B. is much too low. His recovery may be easy to gimp, but not that easy.

R.O.B. has great distance in all directions. You are supposed to tap B and not hold it it. And you can increase horizontal distance by using Bair.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
(I'm at school so excuse me if Miss a few things/forget)
I think Peach deserves to be at least higher then Fox.
Her float combined with Peach bomber and Parosal gives her some good options to get back to the stage and they can be(in a way) safe.
In terms of vertical fox is better slightly, and his UpB is(from below when used mostly) IMO surprisingly hard to actually hit him out of and........trying to remembers I DONT think it hits multiple times?
But yea if it were to be used at other angles it's not too hard to actually hits I'm out of it.
His SideB is actually quite easy to intercept considering many attacks out prioritize it....
Gotta go were listening to a songs no cla

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Updated to 4.0-- the new character and long break had a full version feeling more appropriate... even if this whole thing is entirely arbitrary numering regardless...

Anywhos, standouts are Olimar, up by Dedede for similar 'will never die because up B' shenanigans, as well as ROB, who's up by Link for having incredible range with tapped up Bs, and meanwhile, Mewtwo strikes back. Mewtwo has been placed at about A+ for now, as the safety, range, and flexibility all seem top notch, but lacking a jump, which happens more often than you'd like when using that laggy double-jump, can be a real problem, because up B does zilch on its own in terms of range.

Jigglypuff slides down a bit, to show that MK's options are jusbt a lot more solid, as Jigglypuff does have some clear weaknesses in recovery (footstools, namely), while Peach slides up past Fox/Charizard for floating being more flexible than super armor or simple range. Shulk (Speed) is down a touch as well, as there's not that much different from normal Shulk, so two tiers worth of differing placement seems a bit drastic.

Due to popular demand, Mii Gunner **2* has been extensively tested once more, and again separated from the other gunners and stuck a tier lower, just behind Mario, for having similar up Bs, if one with slightly worse range and such. Falcon, meanwhile, is up a tad, nearer to Diddy Kong, given that the former's gimpability is quite painful, while Falcon at least has some good speed both to his up B and in the air in general. Dr. Mario is also up a touch, mostly just to show that he's got much more flexibility and safety than Ganondorf, despite that pathetic vertical range sans walljumps.

---

Not actually that major of an update, in retrospect, but Mewtwo's addition is most definitely a major event. And yes, this update did happen to be today simply because I finally got around to getting Mewtwo after missing the deadline nonsense the first time, what of it!?

...Right...

But yeah, I have a bit of Mewtwo playtime now, and his game feel confirms my general thoughts prior. His second jump is a vulnerability with that startup lag, but, bar a gimped double jump, his recovery is all-around fantastic.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I'm somewhat surprised at MK's recovery being only the 3rd highest tier (I can see jump monado kirby's being better, but I'm not seeing it for the other 5). He has a ton of vertical and horizontal recovery, so many options (such that there's always multiple safe ones), and enough jumping capability to fly all the way to the opposite edge. Also quite capable of counterattacking an attempted edgeguard.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I have been doing more stuff with M2 and when you snipe his 2nd jump his recovery get way more limited

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
I'm somewhat surprised at MK's recovery being only the 3rd highest tier (I can see jump monado kirby's being better, but I'm not seeing it for the other 5). He has a ton of vertical and horizontal recovery, so many options (such that there's always multiple safe ones), and enough jumping capability to fly all the way to the opposite edge. Also quite capable of counterattacking an attempted edgeguard.
Hm... all true. MK's recover is certainly one of the game's best, and I feel like this is a case of my just not testing the S tiers too rigorously of-late. His only real weakness is that the recover angles on some of his moves are predictable, and that, as with and multiple jumper, he can get into trouble if missing his jumps. So that's a bit different from Olimar (who can be hit out of his up B, but can reuse it ad infinitum from basically any range), and from G&W (who simply has one of the game's quickest and safest rising up B frames), and a bit different from Zelda and Lucario's similarly solid up B's... Actually, I'll say more on all this below, as I have a few other suspects to wonder about now...

I have been doing more stuff with M2 and when you snipe his 2nd jump his recovery get way more limited
Right, that's what's keeping him on similar pacing with Kirby, at the moment-- both are vulnerable to having jumps eaten, and their recovery becomes extremely limited without their ability to jump. It's the main weakness to M2's otherwise stellar recovery, as that startup on his double jump means that projectiles and quick air hits can gimp his 2nd jump easier than most (just as Kirby's reliance on multiple jumps means that he's got some real problems offstage if he ends up out of jumps). Still, neither seem too terribly common just yet, and I've been testing Mewtwo extensively now-- if you're patient and extremely cautious with his double jump, and his his side B to mitigate predictability and overreliance on it, it's not too debilitating. Mewtwo's ability to trick people with teleports to ledge or stage, to side B projectiles or potential edgeguarders (more risky), and various coverage moves like Bair, Uair, and Nair make for a pretty flexible offstage game in general, and he feels like 'if you're offstage, you're generally not too worried'.

---

Okay, so I feel like retesting the ratings top-to-bottom, now. I've had more time with the game, some time with M2, and I'm sure there are plenty of placements that people have a problem with, but haven't mentioned because they're often a case of 'close enough'. By all means, if some placement seems direly misjudged, still speak up, but I'm interested now in what smaller shifts people might see as appropriate. Rather than my usual paragraphs, I'm going to go down a list of each character, for some reason.

:4kirby:(Jump): Certainly a clearly absurd recovery, so my main question here is 'should this just be noted as above Pikachu, rather than take up some full tier'. Simply renaming S+ to S++ or the like sort've gets the point across, and, past the point where you're all but guaranteed to recover, (which is my running definition for S+), there's really nothing gained from being able to recover from distances that will never exist. Though, just dropping him into S+ to get rid of the 'best' tier might be more appropriate.

As an aside, I've been considering trying something besides the letters approach... it's great for dividing what's essentially a numerical list, but it gives no sense of what recoveries at that stage are capable of... though, making new letter 'definitions' may work, if a bit roundabout...

S+ (Guaranteed recovery with no real flaws)
:4pikachu:Can recover from just about any range, quick attack is one of the game's safest up B's, and overall Pikachu has no real weakness when recovering.
:4sheik:Slightly less range than Pikachu, but otherwise pretty much the same: all of the safety and range with no tangible downside.
:4villager:Perhaps the game's best range, along with some pretty solid safety in a majority of situations thanks to the maneuverability and balloon-hitting mechanics. If hit out without balloons popped, can even reuse up B.
:4greninja:Quite similar to Shiek in range, with Pikachu's angles, but the tinest bit of vulnerability in the fact that it's technically not invincible during up B. That's... pretty much it. 'Not totally invincible' is the main knock against hydro pump, and there's some interesting mixups regardless.
:4zss:Extremely solid recover all-around, with the only limitations being that side B isn't has a range limit (even if a huge range) and that up B is all but useless for recovery. That said, up B isn't really needed for recovery, either, so she still sits within the 'guaranteed' range outside of some user error in most scenarios.

S (Guaranteed recovery outside of some very minor flaw)
:4lucario:Up B is sometimes inconsistent, between the requirement for aura and the problem with bouncing off stages rather than ledge snapping. It happens a bit too often to dismiss as only user error, so it keeps that otherwise incredible speed/safety/range from netting higher placement... in fact, it's a notable enough flaw to perhaps have Lucario set at the bottom of S, or top of S-, depending.
:4zelda:So very safe, with some extreme range to boot. Predictability is the only slight flaw in Zelda's recovery, and that can lead to the rare ledge trump or gimp from someone going deep, but any standard situation still all but guarantees her recovery.
:4gaw:Up B as safe as Zeldas vertically, and offers more range horizontally, as well as being a relatively safe 'to stage' recover thanks to the ability to act out of the parachute. A bit below Zelda for lacking a bit of diagonal range, but recovering from stage spikes isn't exactly anyone's forte, so I can't quite call that a huge blow to G&W's recovery game. That said, up B's horizontal recover isn't really a guarantee, so he may still be a better fit for high S-, perhaps...
:4metaknight:Every B move can be used for recovery, multiple jumps, extreme speed and safety on up B... MK's got everything he needs to recover, really, with only the slight issue like G&W where he may have limited diagonal recovery atop MK's reliance on midair jumps (which, in theory, means he may be gimped out of them, but I've never seen it happen as I have with Kirby, so I'm assuming he's just safer on that front). Flexibility goes a long way, and so he and Zelda may just lead S tier (or perhaps be raised to S+, if Pikachu is set above the rest by Monado Kirby, or if there's otherwise some gap between S+ ranks to emphasize... maybe a top 3 of Monado Kirby/Pikachu/Shiek? But Villager's gimpability is reeeeeeally a non-issue in practice, and... ugh... why does it always boil down to Villager!? So hard to place. ;-;)
:4olimar:Laughs at those who need to jump at all to recover. Predictable, but that ends up largely irrelevant when his speed and absurd range let him just relentlessly recover from all but a direct KO. His only real flaw is that the non-hitting up B may set up a spike and technically 'fail' in that way, but the airspeed tends to remove that problem. Skirting under non-walled stages is just icing on the cake by turning his recovery into a guessing game before others even have a chance at stopping it.

S- (There's a clear weakness to their recovery, but it rarely affects their ability to reach the stage)
:4jigglypuff:Can be footstooled easier than most due to iffy Uair and recovery's extreme reliance on jumps. It's not terribly common in my playtime, but it's always possible, and Jiggly's lack up an up B doesn't really help much, even if side B and neutral B combine to grant a fantastic horizontal recovery game.
:4dedede:Super armor up B, multiple jumps, great range on both... D3 is pretty hard to stop from recovering, and is a case of 'knowing that a train is coming doesn't mean you can stop it', as his slow airspeed and predictability make for free damage, if nothing else, through that super armor. That all said, taking free damage when recovering isn't quite ideal, even if being hit out of recovery requires foes to dive offstage before up B ranges, so D3 is probably top S- or so-- higher would require him to have some super armor method of horizontal recovery, though gordos are a nice coverage move, at least.
:4wario:With bike and/or waft, some truly absurd recovery. Without either, he suffers greatly, and though the situations where you'd be missing both are few and far between, they're still enough of a factor to keep Wario out of higher tiers.
:4darkpit::4pit:Reliance on multiple jumps and a no damage up B means there's technically a safety issue, but, in practice, the angles and speed makes that rarely relevant.
:4kirby:(Sonic/Jigglypuff/Speed) The addition of any recovery neutral B or speed mode solves some of Kirby's problems through keeping him from being too reliant on easily-gimped jumps, or by upping his mediocre airspeed.

A+ (Has a single key flaw in their recovery that can commonly be exploited, keeping it from being a guarantee)
:4mewtwo:Side B can cover it to some extent, but the slow startup on his second jump and his helplessness without its range means that Mewtwo, despite incredible range and one of the game's quickest and safest up Bs, can have some real problems.
:4shulk:(Jump) Reliant on a second jump, as with Mewtwo, but also only has a jump and an up B, limiting flexibility (despite extreme distance). If offstage with no double jump, up B alone just can't cut it that often, even with the extra range, and it's still vulnerable to certain projectiles as well (Villager's side smash or such), as its great hitboxes aren't a substitute for super armor or invulnerability.
:4kirby:Has been said to death by now, but overly reliant on jumps and an up B that are quite easy to hit him out of. Even if up B is a bit quick, his airspeed isn't quick enough to really wiggle out of constantly gimp attempts. Still, his range is nothing to sneeze at when uncontested in recovering.
:4sonic:Excellent up B speed/range, with neutral and side B as interesting mixups-- acting out of up B and its consistency even sans jumps gives Sonic a pretty solid recovery game, even if its occasional predictability and lack of innate up B hitboxes can lead to gimps. Horizontal range leaves a bit to be desired, though, regardless...
:4pacman:Up B is a bit iffy in some ways, but range at all angles is pretty extreme, side B has super armor, and so on... Sonic and Pac Man are where my definitions start to fall apart, so for now I'll just focus on S+ through A+ ranges, first-- trying to tackle the full list at-once is apt to have me lacking focus.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
:4shulk:(Jump) Reliant on a second jump, as with Mewtwo, but also only has a jump and an up B, limiting flexibility (despite extreme distance). If offstage with no double jump, up B alone just can't cut it that often, even with the extra range, and it's still vulnerable to certain projectiles as well (Villager's side smash or such), as its great hitboxes aren't a substitute for super armor or invulnerability.
This is a decently fine analysis of Jump Shulk, but you must consider that his air speed goes beyond that of Yoshi's air speed, who without Customs or Monado Arts involved is the character with the highest air speed. If Jump Shulk gets edge-guarded to the point he loses his Doublejump & only can rely on his Jump Art increasing the height of Air Slash's two-hitting attacks, then you must factor in his air speed / falling speed along with having good survival DI in order to make great usage of drifting to the stage.

Drifting + airdodging when necessary can allow Jump Shulk to recover from such a low path pattern. As for the Villager Bowling Ball point, that can be arranged by not recovering directly underneath or even closely near the ledge. Air Slash's 2nd hit has huge range, & delaying the 2nd hit can easily bring Shulk much closer to the ledge horizontally. If the Villager were to start charging the bowling ball early from a read, he'll surely get hit & the bowling ball already dropped won't be in range to hit Shulk's hurtbox. Mainly you have to be smart recovering against the Bowling Ball. Although, in a scenario where Jump Shulk was ledge-trumped by Villager & decides to recover from low is his / her fault as imo, they should take advantage of their increased jump height & Doublejump outta there & go to the center of the stage. :p

Thank you for putting the time into your post btw.:shades:

EDIT: This isn't to say Jump Shulk should be higher or lower. I just wanted to address about his awesome air speed drifting ability that wasn't mentioned.

Last edited:

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
This is a decently fine analysis of Jump Shulk, but you must consider that his air speed goes beyond that of Yoshi's air speed, who without Customs or Monado Arts involved is the character with the highest air speed. If Jump Shulk gets edge-guarded to the point he loses his Doublejump & only can rely on his Jump Art increasing the height of Air Slash's two-hitting attacks, then you must factor in his air speed / falling speed along with having good survival DI in order to make great usage of drifting to the stage.

Drifting + airdodging when necessary can allow Jump Shulk to recover from such a low path pattern. As for the Villager Bowling Ball point, that can be arranged by not recovering directly underneath or even closely near the ledge. Air Slash's 2nd hit has huge range, & delaying the 2nd hit can easily bring Shulk much closer to the ledge horizontally. If the Villager were to start charging the bowling ball early from a read, he'll surely get hit & the bowling ball already dropped won't be in range to hit Shulk's hurtbox. Mainly you have to be smart recovering against the Bowling Ball. Although, in a scenario where Jump Shulk was ledge-trumped by Villager & decides to recover from low is his / her fault as imo, they should take advantage of their increased jump height & Doublejump outta there & go to the center of the stage. :p

Thank you for putting the time into your post btw.:shades:

EDIT: This isn't to say Jump Shulk should be higher or lower. I just wanted to address about his awesome air speed drifting ability that wasn't mentioned.
Hm... you make some excellent points-- and I hadn't gotten the chance to retest Shulk in an edgeguarded scenario (organizing a duo for testing isn't always possible), so the amount of aerial control granted by (Jump) was underconsidered. Likewise, I'm not sure that this means he's much better off in terms of placement, but I'm considering if he'd skirt past M2 now, considering Mewtwo's extreme limitations in recovering sans double-jump.

As an extra little note, I've put lists before 4.0 in the 'older versions' bit, to try and keep the first post length reasonable (also, it makes little sense to show the pre-Mewtwo versions now that he's readily available to all).

Last edited:
Top Bottom