• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Ya we could use your help with testing. It's just that we haven't done that much so far, so things won't happen for a while.

I tried looking at landing detection and ledge grabbing yesterday and got very lost so I don't think I will even bother. I'm guessing it's simply coordinate based though. If anyone knows how to debug on n64 and would like to know some breakpoints to look at, let me know.

What other stuff related to physics should I look into? After tomorrow, I'm going to be busy again, so I'd like to do what I can now since I'm taking a break from my school work.
I'm totally in! Please PM if you need anything or if you have any unfinished version of the game.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
I'm super excited for this project, and hope to see some progress. Also, if you guys need play-testers I would definitely be willing either PM me or whatever jsut contact me and I would be all for it! Anyway good luck guys!

Kati

Smash Lord
Someone compiled a bunch of posts by Magus concerning technical information about melee, I'm just going to paste them here in case it relates to 64 or modding brawl:

-Magus on hitboxes - how hitboxes work, where data such as damage, angle, and knockback are stored, and where to find them.
-Magus on throw commands - same as the hitboxes, but with throws.
-Magus on attributes - every character has specific data values - jump height, landing lag, weight, friction, etc. This links to a page detailing all those values.
-Magus on special subactions - not much is known about this, but check it out. It involves moves associated with the B button.
-Magus on hitstun - Some notes on hitstun.
-Magus on body states - very brief notes on what the "body state" is.
-Magus on elemental effects - when pikachu attacks you with his fair, you're elctrocuted. What if you could change that electric effect to, say, mewtwo's darkness effect? Go here to check it out. Follows from the hitbox post above.
-Magus on PAL vs NTSC - some notes .

Madao

Interesting read. so Hitstun went from 0.5333333 in SSB64 to 0.4 in Melee.

Kati

Smash Lord
makes sense I suppose given the reputation 64 has for "don't get hit." I believe brawl has the exact same hitstun as melee, but people always claimed it had less. The difference in Brawl is that one can actually cancel hitstun by air dodging, which won't be a problem.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
Again, I wholeheartedly support the project. I liked the post, but I'm not in the Supporters section :( Also, I am willing to help in any way I can though I can't hack. (EX: Playtesting) Good Luck in the future of the project!

Madao

Again, I wholeheartedly support the project. I liked the post, but I'm not in the Supporters section :( Also, I am willing to help in any way I can though I can't hack. (EX: Playtesting) Good Luck in the future of the project!
First of all, I'd like to thank you for your support. Try PMing Capps if he doesn't update the supporters list. You can start by trying out some of the codes posted in this thread. Seeing if they work as advertised would help us for now. I haven't gotten around to testing it myself, since I'm busy collecting data on SSB64.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
Sounds interesting *King, although I was thinking about it too, but we aren't up to that point in time as of right now. Overall, I'll think about it.

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
First of all, I'd like to thank you for your support. Try PMing Capps if he doesn't update the supporters list. You can start by trying out some of the codes posted in this thread. Seeing if they work as advertised would help us for now. I haven't gotten around to testing it myself, since I'm busy collecting data on SSB64.
Alright I'll compile them all into a gct and test them out once I get home today. Test it out with my brother for a while. Is the first demo only to have the original 12 first? Just curious.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Not really close to its first demo release, so yes Rood. Towards my perspective, DK was my first character to work with and it's going very well right now.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Sorry but being slow, check out the supporter section now! I'm hoping to try and update all the posts today. Team members, expect some PMs today too. Gonna get busy!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Since some of the stages are getting edits do you think the bottom half of Final Destination should be flattened a little like Brawl's FD? It's just something I've wondered if Final Destination was ever a legal stage in competitive play unless it's unesessary to make a change.

Kati

Smash Lord
Since some of the stages are getting edits do you think the bottom half of Final Destination should be flattened a little like Brawl's FD? It's just something I've wondered if Final Destination was ever a legal stage in competitive play unless it's unesessary to make a change.
May you elaborate please? I didn't know there was any gameplay issue with 64's final destination.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'm still not sure if when talking about changes, we're supposed to talk from the Brawl perspective. In any case, the problem with 64's FD is its lateral blastzones - they're too big.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
FD for 64 probably wouldn't be the greatest stage competitively as is. Its not a game like melee where characters have lots of options for movement on flat platforms. 64 characters need platforms to move. Also the stage itself is also pretty big, never mind the blastzones. All that being said, I still want to play some FD 64 :)

Kati

Smash Lord
Blastzones are sooo easy to edit that they shouldn't even be a talking point. We can simply take a stage with acceptable boundaries and apply them to any other stage.

Mixa, ssb64 stages have been replicated for brawl, so in this case, we can speak from a 64 perspective as long as we acknowledge the limitations of the replicas. Hazards have not been emulated, but neither have glitches; therefore, critiquing peach's castle because of its bumper or the tutorial stage because of gameplay issues is not applicable to this mod.

Speaking of Peach's castle, I can say after years of play testing that having grabbable ledges on the long moving portion is quite nice.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
May you elaborate please? I didn't know there was any gameplay issue with 64's final destination.
There's no gameplay issue, it's just the shape of the stage your fighting on. The bottom half is shaped like an upside down pyramid and I was thinking maybe it would get in the way of recovering back to the stage, or trying to go under the stage to the opposite sides ledge. What I ment by cutting the stage in half was getting rid of the pyramid part.

I don't think it's necessary to edit. The blast zones may be a different story.

Kati

Smash Lord
Not all stages need to allow people to go under though right? I've never caught anyone mentioning such being important to the game, metagame, or stage's fun value.

The actual potential problem lies between the pyramid and the top half (octagon..?) I am personally okay with ceiling collisions, especially if they as far away from the ledge as fd64, but many people in the melee/P:M community have a problem with ceiling collisions. In this specific case, people could in fact get stuck under the stage when recovering, but I think that as it is a risk that applies to everyone, that it is fair and should stay.

Also, as brawl affords us enough stage slots for every 64 stage including debug menu and single player stages, what do people think of playing on the bedroom table shown in the opening movie? I think including it would provide casual appeal as well as promotional value.

http://s367.photobucket.com/user/AmericanHobo333/media/untitled-2.jpg.html?t=1276225561

Mr. Happy :)

Smash Cadet
This project is such a dream come true, best of luck to all of you.

I wish I could offer help in some way but I don't believe I have anything worth offering :\

Super Support!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Not all stages need to allow people to go under though right? I've never caught anyone mentioning such being important to the game, metagame, or stage's fun value.

The actual potential problem lies between the pyramid and the top half (octagon..?) I am personally okay with ceiling collisions, especially if they as far away from the ledge as fd64, but many people in the melee/P:M community have a problem with ceiling collisions. In this specific case, people could in fact get stuck under the stage when recovering, but I think that as it is a risk that applies to everyone, that it is fair and should stay.

Also, as brawl affords us enough stage slots for every 64 stage including debug menu and single player stages, what do people think of playing on the bedroom table shown in the opening movie? I think including it would provide casual appeal as well as promotional value.

http://s367.photobucket.com/user/AmericanHobo333/media/untitled-2.jpg.html?t=1276225561
If game truly emulates 64, going from one side of the stage to the other will not be important. Ceiling collisions probably not the a big deal either because there is no reverse ledgegrabbing so getting yourself that far in is already a death most likely.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Please add the "How to play" stage, it is actually really good, there is already a version created for brawl, and it is super fun. Also, there is a stage made that is a replica of the stage master hand creates on the desk in the opening. It is really fun, just search "Intro stage" on brawl vault.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
I'm most likely gonna be working on the beta stages last, for a good reason. The stage in the intro is gonna be having an interesting, yet unique name for it, instead of "N64 INTRO STAGE." :p

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Do you guys plan on using the brawl models or use N64 models instead? Or use the brawl models with the characters' primary colors, like what Sakurai's doing with Smash 4?

Kati

Smash Lord
There has been a little discussion, but not enough for a conclusion yet. Given that we are aiming for a version with just the original 12, we would have ample room to incorporate cbliss and therefore provide both brawl and 64 models, but this is not indicative of the project's direction. Sakurai's latest fancies have also not had any influence in our discussion yet. As textures are incredibly easy to implement, I wouldn't be surprised if the team just leaves it up to the user to customize the roster to there liking.

----
Did you make the DDD model with the fedora for me over on the kittycorp forums?
---

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
There has been a little discussion, but not enough for a conclusion yet. Given that we are aiming for a version with just the original 12, we would have ample room to incorporate cbliss and therefore provide both brawl and 64 models, but this is not indicative of the project's direction. Sakurai's latest fancies have also not had any influence in our discussion yet. As textures are incredibly easy to implement, I wouldn't be surprised if the team just leaves it up to the user to customize the roster to there liking.

----
Did you make the DDD model with the fedora for me over on the kittycorp forums?
---
I see, it's just something I was wondering. And I didn't make the fedora dedede you've mentioned. lol

D

Deleted member

This sounds very interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't have the hacking skills nor do I hack my Wii, so I can't play the game. :( However, I will support this idea! I'm fascinated how it will look like in the end!

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Thank you for your support!

Capps will know this very soon, since his computer is getting fixed, or maybe working something that I probably don't know about. :p

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
I suggest you to release a demo with what you have right now. The best way to advertise the project is putting people to playing it IMO. Also Smash 64 it's the most played game in my area, so if I show them some of this they'll be excited.

Kati

Smash Lord
A fine suggestion that I would have liked to have taken up a week or three ago, but unfortunately the project leader's laptop/cpu died, so you will have to pardon us as we run around like headless chickens until he has everything back under control.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
The N64 how to play stage exists and can be found in the vault entry for dreamland. I really have to make a separate entry someday.

About the intro stage, I'm planning to make my own version one day, just to let you know. And there's Sector Z, which I'll work on eventually too.

I'm okay if you're using any of my N64 stages in this project, and if you need some kind of edit, or some kind of help while editing, just ask me via pm.

Kati

Smash Lord
yaayyyyyyyy!

Now that I think about it, I made many revisions to the intro stage's collisions, boundaries and camera. I'll see if I can find my own "gold" version.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Here are what the stages look like as of now:

[COLLAPSE="Hyrule Castle (Casual V1)"]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Battlefield"]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Metal Caverns"]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Peach's Castle (Competitive v1.0)"]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Yoshi's Story (Competitive)"]

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Sector Z (Casual)"]

[/COLLAPSE]

All of the pics are close to the cameras boundaries, except these stages below aren't, and they're modified by me.

[COLLAPSE="Rice Beach (Casual)"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Changes of Rice Beach:
Water is elevated closer to land.
Completely new layout.
Barrel stacks is curved on both ends.​
Floating barrel on the water sort of acts like Randall, but a lot slower, rocks back and forth, is solid,​
and is ledge-grabbable.​
High Ceiling.​

[COLLAPSE="Subspace Emissary (Weird Version)"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Changes to its Original:
All layouts are different.
All layouts are completely "weird" and new for anyone.

[COLLAPSE="Skyworld"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Changes to its Original:
Side, and top platforms are just clouds.
Main platform is semi-solid.
Bottom moving platform is also semi-solid.

Tell me what you think about this list. Getting a pic of Final Destination right now.

EDIT:
[COLLAPSE="Final Destination"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Sedda

Smash Champion
Battlefield picture best picture. Mario looks hilarious. I'm glad you guys are still working at this.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
All the stages look awesome so far. Is the Rice Beach stage from Warioland? Also Mario kind of looks like he has that rim lighting hack.

Top Bottom