• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ready to Brawl, *****es

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Geez, we just got confirmation and are already thinking of new infinites, desynchs, and chain grabs.

I love this board :laugh:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
OH EM GEE. I minimized the Smash Dojo window while I was waiting for it to load, and forgot it was there for half an hour. Then I opened it and... ICE CLIMBERS! This totally makes up for the lack of good updates for the past three weeks.

Buddha: You won't be able to footstool Nana (almost positive) but depending on if only one IC footstools, and depending on the duration of the footstool, it's still a possible desynch.

I'm just praying to god they left wavedashing in the game... Ice Climbers with no maneuverablity would be sad Ice Climbers. Also, is it just me, or should they have some form of tether recover? I'm not really hoping for it, but they are Ice Climbers after all. Oh, and if they still run around in traction boots, they should have a nice advantage on Pokemon stadium!

Predictions for what their Final Smash can possibly be?

Edit -- Wow that was crammed.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
Yea Im so ****ing happy but I cant help but think of the bad things. What if they change the set knock back in dair? what if wavedash is out? What if there smashes are nurfed? What if they reduce their traction by a lot? Argh some one find counter points to all my statement.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Geez, we just got confirmation and are already thinking of new infinites, desynchs, and chain grabs.

I love this board :laugh:
xD of course! it's only the best character specific board there is!

well, 2nd best. first would go to falcon >_<

Typo_Brawler

Smash Cadet
Awww there so cute! I love the update! I`v always wanted to play them more. I didn`t think they were in. But mabey Ness will be in to. Man I can`t waite for Brawl! When does it come out agine?

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I'm so on board w/the fuzzy-warm feeling that everyone else is getting. I was a Final Cut Pro class and nearly jumped outta my seat, kicking very hard the 2,500 dollar Mac next to mine, LoL. Anyways, I see no need to get all ansy in speculation of whether or not WD'ing, desynching and all that will stay. Just wait and see. I actually hope their metagame is changed a lot. Not that I don't like the way they play right now; I love them as a char, else I wouldn't have been maining them for the past 3 years, just that it gets really boring fast. They're just too limited in their approach, which is why they're not even that great, least not as good as everyone (most everyone still) thinks they are. I'd actually prefer it if they dropped in the tiers (which doesn't really mean anything IMO) but had they're moves changed around some to make they're play style more diverse. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

To the other topic, they're Final Smash, which should now officially be abbreviated from here on in as "FS" (I want credit in the Brawl compendium, AlphaZealot). I think it should play out as follows: The screen darkens, Nana and Popo run to eachother, even from opposite sides of the level, they do a little Ice jig, spinning and hopping around, trading places between the foreground and whose behind, somewhat like the fusion dance. They both spin around, raising their hammers high, crossing at the mid handle point, and let out a tremendous "YEP!!!"
A tiny heart is seen in the background, and as it approaches the foreground, grows to gigantic proportions, until it fully envelops all matter on screen. Every other character around is stricken with guilt, and, being completely consumed by the humongous wave of love, realize how evil they have been in their ways and immediately commit suicide a number of times equal to the amount of lives they have left. And in the end, there will only be...
*Thanks to Neal for the sound clip.

http://icfs.ytmnd.com/

Run in fear, b1tches. Run in fear...........:demon:

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
N1c2k3

lolz...what a trip man

this sounds really crazy ans insane

but if its become true was going to be funny

i would like so see that

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Um, why? Then ppl will just be even more pissed when they get owned. Ppl and their tiers, sickens me...

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
Because I'd like to have a chance in tournaments?
train hard and you will have a chance
of course with a top tier character is easier, but i know many player that are exeptionals and don't use top tiers

cemo

white walker
train hard and you will have a chance
of course with a top tier character is easier, but i know many player that are exeptionals and don't use top tiers
You can't overcome everything just by "training hard"
If Ice Climbers aren't tournament calibre in Brawl, there's nothing you can do about it.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Well, I've decided to take the "don't care how I do in tournies, all for fun" approach come Brawl. Last year or so just got me bitter; I stopped having fun concentrating only on winning. Not saying anything to anyone else though, just a personal thing. So idc how they turn out, I'm sure they'll be fun...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
tiers really dont mean a lot.

and by the way, yes you actually can overcome just about anything by training a lot. If you practice enough, and focus enough on a low tier you can beat the high tiers. its not as impossible as everyone thinks.

anyway, as for the FS...hmmm...i remember back when i first heard of final smashes and my first thought was "insane chaingrab". Now i'm hoping for a more blizzard based thing

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
tiers really dont mean a lot.

and by the way, yes you actually can overcome just about anything by training a lot. If you practice enough, and focus enough on a low tier you can beat the high tiers. its not as impossible as everyone thinks.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Tiers, while based on performance, is supposed to partially represent a character's potential. While it isn't 100% correct, there's obviously a huge difference in potential between Fox and Boozer.

Yeah. You can work hard at a lower tier character and beat mediocre players playing high tiers, but if they work just as hard as you on that high tier character, you're still gonna get whooped.

Plus, if low tier characters are just "harder to use", than pros would just prance around winning tournaments with Roy. They have more experience than anyone, right? Basically what you are trying to argue is that if you unlock potential in low tier characters, you can beat a character with greater potential. However, if that character with greater potential unlocks the greater potential, they will still be more successful.

Final Smash: I'm thinking this. Cutscene: The Ice Climbers pick up the smash ball, and let out a huge "YEP!" It echoes throughout the level, and you hear a rumbling in the background. Avalanche! Huge chunks of snow start walloping the level (like Onyx pokeball does, only in greater amounts) and they hit (freeze?) anybody who happens to stand in the path of one. And of course... the ICs use their ****** jackets as a defensive maneuver?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm happy they're in

but i don't know if i'm liking the new look

i mean in melee, they look like kids, now they look like babies...

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why some people didn't want Ice Climbers to be back. They're a new catch to Super Smash, and it teaches you to manipulate a 2 in 1 character. They're not "annoying." Maybe those people only thought they were annoying because of Infinite Glacier, and I have to agree with them. I hope they come up with a new Ice Climbers course in Brawl.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Tiers, while based on performance, is supposed to partially represent a character's potential. While it isn't 100% correct, there's obviously a huge difference in potential between Fox and Boozer.

Yeah. You can work hard at a lower tier character and beat mediocre players playing high tiers, but if they work just as hard as you on that high tier character, you're still gonna get whooped.

Plus, if low tier characters are just "harder to use", than pros would just prance around winning tournaments with Roy. They have more experience than anyone, right? Basically what you are trying to argue is that if you unlock potential in low tier characters, you can beat a character with greater potential. However, if that character with greater potential unlocks the greater potential, they will still be more successful.

Final Smash: I'm thinking this. Cutscene: The Ice Climbers pick up the smash ball, and let out a huge "YEP!" It echoes throughout the level, and you hear a rumbling in the background. Avalanche! Huge chunks of snow start walloping the level (like Onyx pokeball does, only in greater amounts) and they hit (freeze?) anybody who happens to stand in the path of one. And of course... the ICs use their ****** jackets as a defensive maneuver?
Talented low tier players ftw. Gimpy, Taj, Bum, ftw. They prove everything about low tiers wrong. I used to think the same way as you but no more.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
i agreed with choknater

there are some low tiers players that show to us the low tiers have potencial, of course the top tier characters have more potential, and to Phen....if u really care about the tournemets, train more than one char, and this don't matter if ics are low or top tier, cause with only one char your chances of been a champion are less than the man who has some 5 trained characters because of counterpicks, this is just thinkiong like you said....some good player with 5 chars have more potential than one good player with one char

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wow you all need to chill out (LOL ICE PUNS)

seriously though, stop thinking of icey desyncs and chaingrabs for brawl, we have no clue what the physics engine is yet, so just calm down everyone my goodness

this update wasn't that exciting.

now the BOWSER update however....

well we all knew he was coming, but i was still pretty psyched lol

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha i seriously didn't even notice, it was just the last thread posted on, i read the first page and was just like wtf r u doin wobbles LOL

EDIT: WOW looks like i need to step in and stomp some people who dont believe in tiers i guess, i'll fix this post in a moment.

sheesh

alright edit numbah 2:

you dont believe in the tiers or something now? and this was partially my doing? *facepalm*

some characters are just bad. like BAD bad.

bowser sucks. a lot. yes i main bowser because i like him. do i think he is good AT ALL? no. because he is NOT good. taj's mewtwo is amazing right? is he a mewtwo main? lol maybe some people still think he is, but he mains marth. low tiers are low tier for a reason, they are statistically flawed characters who have trouble getting the same results as a top tier character would with near minimul effort

i've played and taken out good players in tournament/crews/whatever, but do i think bowser is good at all? no. he should move up on the tier list SLIGHTLY. but he's certainly not GOOD.

not any character can be good, if you want to be good, play as a top/high tier character.

thank you

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
The characters are comprised of their statistics and characteristics. Variation demands that those two categories be different so the characters play differently. It's no surprise that they aren't balanced perfectly so that every character has the same capabilities and "potential."

Taj can't play Mewtwo against a lot of people, and has trouble even against mediocre players of certain characters. Some characters, like Fox and Falco, he has so much experience against that he can get away with his crazy tricks on them. But by no means is Mewtwo good, okay, or nearly even. Like Gimpy, some characters are underestimated... but not by too much.

Take Kirby Kid. The poor guy mained Kirby for years, studied the game, invented almost every trick he knows--he actually is the inventor of the light-shield edgehog*--and STILL loses to crappy Foxes. Watching him outplay his opponent repeatedly and lose to stupidly simple tactics that just exploit the tier difference was incredibly painful, as his friend and just as a supporter of dedicated character players.

And about my first post: I was so incredibly excited that I wanted everybody to know I shared the IC love. Apparently Chu does as well. I hope we can usher in an Ice Age for Brawl.

Kirby Kid stayed at the house of Dr. DrewTheDragon during MLG Dallas in 2006. PC Chris also stayed at Drew's house and during friendlies, saw Kirby Kid doing it and learned it from him. He is the first famous player to be seen doing it, so people believed he invented it. Having known about it before PC, thanks to Kirby Kid, I can safely assert who discovered it. A bit of Smash trivia for you guys XD

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Did no1 read my epic post that took me 2 hrs to create?! Man, I feel like a police officer. -_-' Wtf @ Gimpy instantly hogging the attention of any thread he posts in. Celebrities are old fashioned, chump! On topic: Everything you said is on the money. I hate it when ppl try to argue otherwise. It's like, the noobiest of noob characteristics to me. I'll probably be directing other's attention to that post in the future. On the other topic: Likewise, really doesn't matter to me how they turnout, "tourny calibre" or not, which I'm sure they won't be so nerfed as to become. I'll def be playing them till they are no longer a selectable char. Competition for/predictions of best Brawl IC's?? :chuckle: I vote me...

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i think since a lot of us are near the same general level, and with us all starting over new, there could be a lot of sick nasty IC players. I really hope thats the case at least. i'll be honest, i know we're not sure if brawl is going to be the new tourny game for us but i'm excited for brawl on a whole different level then most people i know.

now that i know the IC's are in (and even before that) my goal with brawl is to be "that player". the guy that everyone looks to for advice, places well in top tournies, invents tricks, long story short, since i heard brawl was coming, my dream has been to go pro when brawl comes out, but never lose the fun aspect of the game. I hope there's someone here who feels me with this one, cause its honestly something i really want to do (and, truthfully, experiance with all of you, haha)

*end of sentimental-ish part of post*

I'm really curious what chu's reaction was when he saw the update. i cant tell if he'd be blatently excited like we were or "hey, thats cool" in the calm collected manner i expect...

any takers on which?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i thought trevyn invented it...

i've heard it both ways

maybe they both discovered it on their own at different times or something like that

like me and magnum did with fortresshogging haha

anyways, this is an iceys thread

yeayuhz @ iceys, i am pretty psyched to see them back its pretty cool

Top Bottom