• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This has probably been discussed, but is it me or is the second Trophy lower poly than the first? I see alot more straight lines, especially in the hair...

It could just be angles, but it looks like the second would be the playable model if he's in...
I think the 1st model is what Michel Ancel sent Sakurai (he's a weird guy; look at any trailer he appears in) and the 2nd model is what Ubisoft as a company wants showcased.

The 1st model, despite the facial expression, has a more high-quality, unique made-for-Smash look. The 2nd, looks more like a 2D rendition turned 3D. It lines up perfectly with the wide-eyed smile we've seen of Rayman lately, but it also comes off as generic, and Sakurai doesn't just take models from a game; his team tweaks them to fit the style of SSB. An example of that was when he spoke about Samus's new design in the 1st Smash Bros Direct. She has the Other M suit "but we didn't just copy her over."

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
well... I... litterally feel like actual **** because of this... hype completely dead

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm sorry guys, the stars looked they were about to line up, but it was an error on the telescope's part.
Hey, he could be dlc. He is only a trophy after all, unlike chrom, who is final smash and has a bigger part.
Or maybe it's cover up.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
A big blow but the quote only he said he meant the trophy. It never directly said Rayman as playable not happening.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm not upset. I was going through the roof because he got in as a trophy, and I made sure to have my real life friends see it because they were certain he'd never be near the game. Rayman got the official acknowledgement by Sakurai, and a trophy that made waves on the internet and made others see him as a real possibility, including the people I know IRL.

THAT is good enough for me, and I have no complaints.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Bummer. Oh well, at least I'm not as heartbroken as I was when Takamaru was confirmed as an Assist Trophy... :(

domokl

Smash Lord
Misleading article title is misleading. this just says he was refreing to the trophy in that video. This nether Confirms or disconfirms rayman. hype is still alive. nothing in that quote says he is not playable

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Misleading article title is misleading. this just says he was refreing to the trophy in that video. This nether Confirms or disconfirms rayman. hype is still alive. nothing in that quote says he is not playable
^This. If they really wanted to clear it up once and for all, they would've said it directly. So if I intended to keep the hype up I would say: They couldn't have said something else if they were preparing the announcement trailer. I'm still waiting for a clear confirmation or deconfirmation,

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Theory

Sakurai wanted the most epic troll on his birthday.
He didn't want negative repercussions.
So he set up a Canadian nintendo guy.

Now he's laughing the next day.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Either the guy screwed up and revealed Rayman as playable, and we can all rejoice and party.

Or the guy screwed up and meant to say Mega Man, and we're still stuck with just a trophy.

In any case, the Rayman love is still strong.
I made that. You're welcome. :V

At this point though he''s extremely unlikely though. He's as likely as before the apparent leak and that's...not very high.
Need I bring up the Ridley comparison again? :V

In any case, I don't really believe in a numeric value for "character likeliness". He's either playable or he isn't, no in between. We just don't know which one it is yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who knows? Rayman might get in as a DLC character for both games once development is completely finished. The message didn't say ''Rayman is not playable,'' so there's still hope for the Rayman supporters.

TKraix

Smash Rookie
I think the guy from Nintendo searchd for an good excuse and the trophy thing would be the most believable in his eyes. It doesn't make any sence because he mentioned a newcomer (pac-man), then a "Trophy"(Rayman) and than other fighters (we don't know yet)... he says this in on sentence in the meaning of new fighters!

TKraix

Smash Rookie
I supported Rayman for a long time but i gave hopes up since Pac-Man was announced. But the leaks and trouble about Rayman the last days gave me hope again

TKraix

Smash Rookie

TKraix

Smash Rookie
It's over dude, you can rest.
well i can only say... Masahiro Sakurai is absolutely unpredictable and one of the biggest trolls on earth. You can never go 100% with this guy. So to all you Rayman supporters, nothing is over yet. Be prepared for this month because it's a month full of surprises when we talk about Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Something about that disconfirmation doesn't sit right with me.

For one, they didn't actually disconfirm him. They said that Matt Ryan was referring to Rayman's trophy, not that Rayman wasn't playable. Why not slap that bit on at the end? Not like it would take much effort. There is no reason to be vague about it, especially when people were mistaking Chrom to be playable, Nintendo came straight out and said that Chrom wasn't playable. Not with this. They only said that Ryan was referring to a trophy.

A small difference, but a very important one.

Secondly, the guy was talking about playable characters when he mentioned Rayman, with the character select roster directly in front of him. Why go with "referring to Rayman's trophy", when "meant to say Megaman" is what everybody was claiming he did, and what was most believable? Moreover, why on earth mention Rayman in that section? There is a very distinctive difference between being just a trophy and being playable.

The guy is the national representative of Nintendo of Canada. National representative. Not only that, he's the manager of corporate partnerships at NoC as well. He's not a second rate employee, the guy is fairly important. Granted, he isn't the best Smash Bros. player, but something like Rayman's inclusion in Smash Bros, regardless of what form, is something he would know about and be versed in.

This, combined with the fact that Rayman has multiple trophies, the interview with his creator a while back, and, well, he's third party... Rayman definitely isn't disconfirmed yet guys. I wouldn't call him particularly likely, but he's got alot more going for him then most other characters.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Secondly, the guy was talking about playable characters when he mentioned Rayman, with the character select roster directly in front of him. Why go with "referring to Rayman's trophy", when "meant to say Megaman" is what everybody was claiming he did, and what was most believable? Moreover, why on earth mention Rayman in that section? There is a very distinctive difference between being just a trophy and being playable.
I can't believe I didn't think of that. The quote they had said Matt Ryan was talking about the Rayman trophy, but why bring that up when referring to playable characters? That is a very good point. I kind of feel a bit more optimistic towards this. Still I don't want to get too excited.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I thought of a point that I find rather important:

Maybe it isn't about "saying the truth" or "not interfering Sakurai's reveal plan" - it may be just about keeping the hype up - because a clear disconfirmation would kill our discussions definitely. And with "our discussion" I certainly don't only consider this thread in this board, but rather everywhere. More buzz is always better and helps spreading the Smash word further. They would'nt post a statement about Rayman if they didn't noticed the impact of this interview. And it's easy to just say nothing.

But with all these (more or less) legit theories - we wouldn't know anything for sure.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The canada guys didn't come out and say it, they were contacted. I wonder what would have happened if no one contacted N of canada, would they have came out and said it themselves? I also saw in the youtube video that the uploaders contacted them as well and were told he was a trophy and not playable(unless they were referring to mynintendonews or something)

I'm more interested in that rayman guy's comment when he was asked if rayman could kick mario's ass.

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
<quote> LOL! They were talking about characters 'NOT' trophies! I'm guessing you guys have been told to defend his case or you just don't want to be responsible for this possible leak... Either way I don't buy it -_- </quote>

Exfreakingactly.

Me:
<quote> That confirmed nothing. "He is obivously talking about things that have been announced" is what they're saying. They needed to clarify that because he is not allowed to talk about things that are not revealed yet. Maybe he thought that the trophy reveal was about the character reveal, because he knew Rayman is in and he was expecting that? </quote>

I don't know how the quoting system works here, whatever.

Last edited:

slickrick13

Smash Rookie
This seems very odd to me that Nintendo of Canada would deconfirm a character. I thought Sakurai was the only one who deconfirms characters as assist trophies or something else. It said nothing in that quote that he was unplayable( just a over exaggeration of a article title from a fan-site). Also, lets just say Rayman isn't playable, WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY HAVE A TROPHY OF HIM IN THE GAME. I understand that Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan, but its Ubisoft's character, would that be a lot of paperwork for just a trophy, just wow. Megaman would have been a lot of paper work too since he belongs to Capcom.

Can this be a "friends of Nintendo" trophy concept? But that sounds like it would be over marketing like PlayStation All-Stars and you know where that went.

Just another possibility, If Rayman isn't playable for a Ubisoft representative...who is?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Just another possibility, If Rayman isn't playable for a Ubisoft representative...who is?
If Ubisoft got a playable rep I'm 99% sure it would be Rayman. The only other character with enough ties to Nintendo that would make sense in the Smash universe (And even justify a Rayman trophy) are the Rabbids.

domokl

Smash Lord
If Ubisoft got a playable rep I'm 99% sure it would be Rayman. The only other character with enough ties to Nintendo that would make sense in the Smash universe (And even justify a Rayman trophy) are the Rabbids.
the rabbids need to be smash run enemies if rayman is a playable character.

slickrick13

Smash Rookie
Here is my question through, WHY PUT A CHARACTER FROM ANOTHER 3RD PARTY COMPANY IN THE GAME WITH THE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO BE A TROPHY. Isn't that a waste of money to even do that, and for a franchise which has sold more then 20 million copies worldwide(plus 14 Mil with the Rabbids). I know sells numbers don't mean anything for characters in Smash, but would it be better off if Rayman wasn't in the game at all. I love the Rayman series and its becoming one of my all time favorites, but it would make more sense for him not to appear then to have a useless cameo.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Here is my question through, WHY PUT A CHARACTER FROM ANOTHER 3RD PARTY COMPANY IN THE GAME WITH THE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO BE A TROPHY. Isn't that a waste of money to even do that, and for a franchise which has sold more then 20 million copies worldwide(plus 14 Mil with the Rabbids). I know sells numbers don't mean anything for characters in Smash, but would it be better off if Rayman wasn't in the game at all. I love the Rayman series and its becoming one of my all time favorites, but it would make more sense for him not to appear then to have a useless cameo.
Forget the fact that Rayman has sold over 20 million copies, the company he comes from is one of the biggest video game companies in existence. People don't seem to realize this, but getting rights from Sega/Namco/Konami/Capcom is probably much easier as A) They are all Japanese based companies (Ubisoft is not) and B) Ubisoft dwarfs the other represented 3rd Party companies in Smash.

slickrick13

Smash Rookie
Well, all I'm going to say is it was better for them to not but him in the game then to have a useless cameo. It's Nintendo's decision and they know what there doing...I think.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I imagine that Ubisoft approached Sakurai during development and asked for Rayman to be put in. It was to late to put him in the game, so Sakurai said, "tell you what, we'll put in a trophy for now, than make Rayman DLC later."

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I feel like I should point some things out that may or may not point to Rayman's playability. Firstly, this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo had to cover up something one of their reps said. Back before E3, this happened. Basically, someone from France said that SSB4 would use the NFC technology, Nintendo later clamed that there was nothing to announce. We later learned about Amiibo, and that SSB4 would be compatible.
Also, as for the fact that there are two trophies, I may have an explanation (assuming Rayman is playable). Take a look at this trailer (skip to 57 seconds and pause it):
Notice that Wii Fit Trainer trophy in the middle? It's different from her artwork. But if you look to the left, you see a trophy of her that matches her artwork. And, if you look a little to the right of the middle one, you find another one of her in a different pose. This suggests that playable characters have multiple trophies. Hence, Rayman would have multiple trophies.
I'm not saying this confirms Rayman, but it's food for thought.

slickrick13

Smash Rookie
It could be a cover- up and it has happened before, but lets be real now. Why put a trophy of a character from a major franchise in smash with no purpose(I know Rayman Legends was published by Nintendo in Japan, but I don't think that's it). Epic Mickey was published by Nintendo in Japan, will Mickey Mouse get a trophy?. It's probably me and I'm going way to far with this then it needs to be.

Yes, I saw the second trophy of the Wii Fit Trainer in the trailer and that's a good theory. DLC isn't a bad idea either and Smash Bros needs it badly, if Sakurai likes it or not XD

Top Bottom