• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Hey guys it's been a while, but because of college, homework, work, and chores I haven't been able to get on here in a while and it's been pretty quiet because the game is out and still getting playtime. Though we can still discuss DLC for Rayman.

Who I'd like to make a little statement about Rayman. I know we have a trophy in the game and the fake DLCleak and how the U.S. seemed to have reacted to it, but did anyone ever wonder about how the Japanese felt about the DLC leak.

Well I've done a bit research and it seems like they reacted a bit neutral or unsure about him. One even states that this game is starting become more so of a American game than a Japanese game and one even stated about how they didn't recognize who he is.

So, I guess in a way this seems to somewhat prove he isn't that big in Japan as I thought because Rayman Legends was developed in Japan, but is more recognizable in America and France more so. What do you all think about this. Here's the website of the Japanese statements here if you want to check out what they had to say about Rayman:

sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/16/japanese-reaction-to-fake-rayman-leak/

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hey guys it's been a while, but because of college, homework, work, and chores I haven't been able to get on here in a while and it's been pretty quiet because the game is out and still getting playtime. Though we can still discuss DLC for Rayman.

Who I'd like to make a little statement about Rayman. I know we have a trophy in the game and the fake DLCleak and how the U.S. seemed to have reacted to it, but did anyone ever wonder about how the Japanese felt about the DLC leak.

Well I've done a bit research and it seems like they reacted a bit neutral or unsure about him. One even states that this game is starting become more so of a American game than a Japanese game and one even stated about how they didn't recognize who he is.

So, I guess in a way this seems to somewhat prove he isn't that big in Japan as I thought because Rayman Legends was developed in Japan, but is more recognizable in America and France more so. What do you all think about this. Here's the website of the Japanese statements here if you want to check out what they had to say about Rayman:

Well, first, glad to see you again and such, and hope things don't get overwhelming for you with your rl stuff.

Second, as for the comments about Smash becoming more "Western", it's kinda stupid considering only one American character became playable (Little Mac), while 9 out of 10 of the rest of the characters (mainly FE towards this) is Eastern. So I have no idea where that assumption came from. :ohwell:

Third, it's kinda also dumb going back to the "Smash becoming more American" thing, when most of Smash (and almost a lot of other games Nintendo makes) get's the most attention in the west, because Japan is so much smaller then the other countries, really, there should be more coming from over here (or just not just from the east in general) added into this game, since the game is loved worldwide, more or less moreso here in the west...

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Well, first, glad to see you again and such, and hope things don't get overwhelming for you with your rl stuff.

Second, as for the comments about Smash becoming more "Western", it's kinda stupid considering only one American character became playable (Little Mac), while 9 out of 10 of the rest of the characters (mainly FE towards this) is Eastern. So I have no idea where that assumption came from. :ohwell:

Third, it's kinda also dumb going back to the "Smash becoming more American" thing, when most of Smash (and almost a lot of other games Nintendo makes) get's the most attention in the west, because Japan is so much smaller then the other countries, really, there should be more coming from over here (or just not just from the east in general) added into this game, since the game is loved worldwide, more or less moreso here in the west...
I totally agree with you about the whole "Smash becoming a more American and Japanese thing" because really games in general are very big in America more than in Japan because as you said Japan is so small. While Japan may make most of the games they know the games get more attention in the Western countries. I don't see why they need to complain so much when they themselves don't give the game that much attention to begin with.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Damn you beat me to it...awesome! and...Rayman has a double hoodie...?
Yay, I beat you for once. .u.

Yeah, I know about the hoodie thing, but I just couldn't go without the R3 design, imo. So, I just gave him part of Lil' Mac's hood just to show it off better of the crossplay, I guess

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Yay, I beat you for once. .u.

Yeah, I know about the hoodie thing, but I just couldn't go without the R3 design, imo. So, I just gave him part of Lil' Mac's hood just to show it off better of the crossplay, I guess
xD haha, Well, now that the Spring Break of the Holy heavens has come to me, I will do my version anyway.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
LITTLE RAY.jpg

Well, there it is, My version of Little Ray. >u> Yay, my first drawing from Spring Break.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

There's a lot wrong with that statement about how Smash is becoming more American.

If anything, I feel as though we hardly get anything that's Western in Smash. Out of all the newcomers, only Little Mac was the closest to being Western. And speaking of the newcomers, I really feel as though they lack diversity. When you think about it, most of the newcomers are either human or look pretty similar to one another, with the occasional frog and dog. If Sakurai doesn't want to add the likes of Rayman and K. Rool in Smash, he's limiting himself to those that are just from Japan.

And to be honest with you, not a lot of interesting options from Japan remain. Outside the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Captain Toad, the rest of potential newcomers from Japan all seem to be human, which isn't very diverse. Sakurai is going to have to start adding non-Japanese characters if he wants the roster to be as varied as possible.

As for them not knowing who he is, you could say we had the same reaction to characters such as Ness, Marth, and Shulk. Because of their inclusion, more people became fans of their games.

As much as I want Rayman, I have a bad feeling Sakurai won't add him given how non-existent he is in the region.
But much like Earthbound in the US, I'm pretty sure Rayman has a small fanbase in Japan.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's a lot wrong with that statement about how Smash is becoming more American.

If anything, I feel as though we hardly get anything that's Western in Smash. Out of all the newcomers, only Little Mac was the closest to being Western. And speaking of the newcomers, I really feel as though they lack diversity. When you think about it, most of the newcomers are either human or look pretty similar to one another, with the occasional frog and dog. If Sakurai doesn't want to add the likes of Rayman and K. Rool in Smash, he's limiting himself to those that are just from Japan.
Uh, K.Rool is the most wanted newcomer there too

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Uh, K.Rool is the most wanted newcomer there too
Oh. My mistake.
I mean, what I'm saying is Sakurai should listen to fans from the West. Japan isn't the only region with Smash fans, Sakurai. People there may not know who Rayman or Mike is, but we certainly do in the West. Why can't he introduce these characters to Japanese audiences, much like how he introduced Fire Emblem to Westerners?

On a side note, K. Rool not being in is a travesty. So many people wanted him in, yet Sakurai didn't add him since he wasn't "new" enough.
Explain this, Sakurai.:4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh. My mistake.
I mean, what I'm saying is Sakurai should listen to fans from the West. Japan isn't the only region with Smash fans, Sakurai. People there may not know who Rayman or Mike is, but we certainly do in the West. Why can't he introduce these characters to Japanese audiences, much like how he introduced Fire Emblem to Westerners.

On a side note, K. Rool not being in is a travesty. So many people wanted him in, yet Sakurai didn't add him since he wasn't "new" enough.
He knows of the fans in the West but he sees more of the twits asking for DBZ Goku and Spongebob instead of feasible characters like K Rool and Ridley. Miiverse from my knowledge was full of idiots asking for Shrek and Goku.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
He knows of the fans in the West but he sees more of the twits asking for DBZ Goku and Spongebob instead of feasible characters like K Rool and Ridley. Miiverse from my knowledge was full of idiots asking for Shrek and Goku.
Why he even goes to Miiverse for character suggestions is beyond me.

I'm telling you, I hate people that ask for those characters. They're so much more abundant than us. It's sad when you think about it.

Because of those people, I'm guessing Sakurai gets the idea that we only want Spongebob and Goku instead of Rayman and K. Rool.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Why he even goes to Miiverse for character suggestions is beyond me.

I'm telling you, I hate people that ask for those characters. They're so much more abundant than us. It's sad when you think about it.

Because of those people, I'm guessing Sakurai gets the idea that we only want Spongebob and Goku instead of Rayman and K. Rool.
Rayman didn't become a popular suggestion on K Rool's level (he arguably still isn't due to Japanese fans) until Omni.
I didn't realise how much I wanted him until Omni pulled that stunt.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Rayman didn't become a popular suggestion on K Rool's level (he arguably still isn't due to Japanese fans) until Omni.
I didn't realise how much I wanted him until Omni pulled that stunt.
Same here. I really wanted Rayman to be DLC when I learned the leak was fake.

It was that moment when I realized that having Rayman in Smash wasn't so out there and crazy, unlike Simon Belmont and Banjo Kazooie. Because of the leak, I was motivated to fight for his inclusion as a fighter.
I mean, that leak is practically the reason why this thread is experiencing so much activity and growth.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Oh. My mistake.
I mean, what I'm saying is Sakurai should listen to fans from the West. Japan isn't the only region with Smash fans, Sakurai. People there may not know who Rayman or Mike is, but we certainly do in the West. Why can't he introduce these characters to Japanese audiences, much like how he introduced Fire Emblem to Westerners?

King K Rool is not a famous retro character.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Same here. I really wanted Rayman to be DLC when I learned the leak was fake.

It was that moment when I realized that having Rayman in Smash wasn't so out there and crazy, unlike Simon Belmont and Banjo Kazooie. Because of the leak, I was motivated to fight for his inclusion as a fighter.
I mean, that leak is practically the reason why this thread is experiencing so much activity and growth.
Simon Belmont isn't as unlikely due to Kojima leaving Konami after MGS V is done.
That opens the door for a Belmont or Alucard to get in whilst trapping Snake in a box because Snake was only in because Sakurai and Kojima were buddies.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
SO MUCH WRONG! Not to mention most requested character
K Rool is absolutely nowhere near the fame of the Duck Hunt Dog and "Retro" is usually considered to the NES years in Smash Bros.

He's said Rare didn't make great games and Ridley's too big, what am I supposed to believe? Not to mention sarcasm on text isn't read-able
What the hell? I never said that Rare didn't make great games, I said they're not a legendary company.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
double-post

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Retro has been subtly teasing K. Rool in some form, so I believe he'll be coming back in the next DKC.

It'd be nice if they got in contact with Sakurai or vice versa for DLC...

Simon Belmont isn't as unlikely due to Kojima leaving Konami after MGS V is done.
That opens the door for a Belmont or Alucard to get in whilst trapping Snake in a box because Snake was only in because Sakurai and Kojima were buddies.
Snake has a reason to come back, he was in Brawl. If anyone from Konami ever gets in, it'd be Snake. With or without Kojima.

As much as I like talking about my other two most wanted characters, this is still the Rayman thread.

What is going on in here?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
same difference on Rare, and I'm pretty sure K.Rool's more famous than that giggling pup
Well guess what, he's not. Duck Hunt Dog is a very famous NES icon, and if you didn't know that then you're just wrong.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What the hell? I never said that Rare didn't make great games, I said they're not a legendary company.
Rare was the single greatest game developer of their time.

I will go out of my way to say that no one has come close to matching them.

Anyway, back to Rayman.

Top Bottom