• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Late to the party as always, but I updated my reasons for my scores.

Tails:
Chance:
5% I really don't see him getting in, especially since other characters from the same series are just as popular...and some even more popular.

Want:
20% I like Tails, I really do, and I enjoyed the few times I would play as him. (I was always more of a Sonic fan than a Tails fan, so played the blue Hedgehog more than his intelligent (except when AI controlled) sidekick)

However, I'm not sure I really want another Sonic character in Smash yet. Maybe once everyone on the Nintendo side who should be in my by now gets in *cough* see username *cough*. When it reaches that, then I will be upping my Tails want considerably. (Probably about 80% for anyone who's interested.)

Vaati:
Chance:
10% I just don't see him getting in...
Other characters from the franchise who would be his competition, he didn't even get to be in HWs despite being a recurring villain, which won't help his cause and might make him over looked by some Zelda fans.

Also, and it might be a big one against him, but Vaati has several different forms and Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS had to be split because it was proving too difficult but they kept roughly the same sort of shape.... Vaati's on the other hand are um... pretty extreme.

Want: 90% I like Vaati, he's a decent villain and I will say that four swords I thoroughly enjoyed both playing and being an active Navi through out, whether some of my friends appreciated me telling them to stop throwing each other into pits, setting each other on fire, etc for five seconds so we could complete a dungeon, probably not but it was great fun.
(Vaati's presence was certainly missed in HW by me. Who didn't want to run around with a friend, burning the world to the ground as Vaati and Ganondorf?)
Back to Smash, I think would offer a unique play style to the current Zelda characters in the Smash roster, and we could always do with more Villains, and Vaati was reoccurring.
(Also would love another Zelda newcomer to not be Link or Zelda...)

Predictions:
Absol: 3%
Sora: 5%

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Tails:
Chance: 5%.
Want: 20%.

Vaati:
Chance: 2%.
Want: 75%.

Not much to say on either character.
The chance of getting a new Sonic character as DLC is very low, but there's nothing really against it either. I wouldn't mind a second Sonic character but I would not be interested if it was Tails.

Vaati is extremely unlikely in lieu of his competition and total lack of recognition by Nintendo, but any new Zelda character that adds something interesting to the game is welcome in my book.

---
Nominations: Jill Valentine x3, Excitebike x2

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Vaati is the Geno of the Zelda series
Boo, boo I say. I throw turnips at you for this slur.

Vaati's had more than one game appearance and a cameo and he was even the main villain three-four times(I forgot about the 3DS Anniversary special). Geno was a party member character once twenty years ago with a barely worth mentioning cameo in Superstar Saga.

(although if Vaati doesn't make it into Hyrule Warriors 3DS, he's going to very quickly reach Geno's obscurity levels)

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Tails

Chance: 13%

Want: 10%

Sorry, but unlike Ryu Tails is from a franchise that is already represented in Smash. At most I think the next Sega rep should be Oppa Oppa, Nights or Ai Ai. I will only accept him if Ms. Pac-Man gets in somehow.

Vaati

Want: 0

....I don't even know who this is.

*nominates Ms. Pac-Man, because Llyoid and Klonoa are boring IMO*

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Vaati
Want: 0
....I don't even know who this is.
Then I would recommend abstaining from rating him. A 0% rating indicates a strong want to not see a character, not lack of interest/knowledge.

Alternatively, you could educate yourself on Vaati to confirm your rating.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Tails
Chance: 4.5%
Despite me nominating him the most, I actually don't have much to say. I understand that he's not very likely as DLC. That being said, I'd still say that Tails is the most likely second SEGA representative. People think that he has competition with the other Sonic characters, but there's no competition. Tails is to Sonic as Luigi is to Mario. He's the iconic second face of the franchise, and he would definitely get in before Knuckles, Shadow, or Eggman. It has always been that way in the Smash franchise. It was Luigi before Bowser and Peach, Falco before Wolf, Zelda before Ganondorf, etc. I'll give Sonic's sidekick a score of 4.5%.
Maybe he'll have better luck in the next Smash.

Want: 100%
Tails is one of my favorite video game characters ever, and he's probably the only third party character that I would advocate for at this point.

Vaati
Chance: 3.8%
Not very known outside of Zelda fans, and we would probably have to get Toon Zelda before Vaati is considered by Sakurai. I'll give the Minish Wind Mage a sore of 3.8%.
It would be cool to see more of the Toon side of Zelda represented...

Want: 25%
I'd like to have him after either Tetra or Toon Zelda. Probably my third most wanted Zelda character.

Prediction - Absol: 2.6%

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Tails

Chance: 20%

Now that Ryu has paved the way to allow third parties to have two reps represent their company, Tails' chances aren't at zero anymore. He is arguably an iconic character as well, being Sonic's Luigi. He has been getting some considerable support over the years, even going back to pre-Brawl. However, being third party already hurts his chances, and he already faces competition with Bayonetta for the second Sega rep.

Want: 40%

He is definitely one of my favorite Sonic characters, and if I were to support the inclusion of another Sonic character (which I'd be OK with), it would go to either him. Shadow, or Silver.

Vaati

Chance: 10%

Vaati has had several appearances in the Zelda GBA games in the past, and he could work well for another Toon Zelda rep alongside Toon Link. Being a villain and a magic-user is also very good for him, as the Smash Bros roster needs more of those. Sadly, the main problems he is experiencing include a lack of support for the DLC Zelda rep (with characters like Impa, Tetra, and Ganon gaining far more support than him) despite being a commonly requested character in the days leading to Brawl's release, and he has been losing relevancy in the Zelda franchise over the past few years because he hasn't appeared in a new Zelda game for quite some time now.

Want: 15%

The more I think about Vaati's potential as a fighter, the more I think he'd be a cool addition. However, Impa and Tetra still remain as my most wanted Zelda newcomers for Smash Bros DLC, so he isn't a character I want to see the most join in. Maybe my want rating will increase if he will appear in the new Zelda 3DS game or in some Hyrule Warriors DLC, but we'll see.

Predictions:

Absol (Pokemon): 3.27%
Sora (Kingdom Hearts): 8.50%

Nominations:

Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x5

With today's nominations, Jean Descole will be at a count of 110, and his day is definitely getting close based on the updated nominations list. At this point, I'm going to be giving Descole the final, helpful push until his rating day arrives. I'll start nominating Gallade again when the time feels right.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
A strange wind blows. I can't tell if it's a sign of a demon's influence, a steady breeze beckoning onward to adventure, or merely a sign of a storm hours away...

--

Vaati

Chance: 3.5%

A Minish-turned-sorceror-turned-wind-demon, Vaati is lower on the totem pole as far as Zelda villains go, but he has his fans nonetheless. Though hasn't appeared in a new game for over a console generation(!), the Smash Ballot would be the perfect place to bypass that lack of relevance if his fans had a say in it!

But just as he's outclassed by greater evil in his home series, he has very stiff competition from the same for Smash! Though the fans have shown they want a Zelda newcomer, there's a lot of dissension over who said newcomer (or newcomers, if the support was there) should be! Compared to the likes of Impa, Tetra, Ganon, and NPCs Midna, Ghirahim, and Skull Kid, Vaati's support has barely made a ripple in the air, much less a storm.

I can't rule out something strange happening, like the developers taking a liking to him like they seem to have with Roy. After all, predicting Smash newcomers is as difficult as predicting the weather where I am (Read: good freaking luck >_>). As it stands, though, I can't put any confidence in him.

Want: 27.5%
A character centered around wind powers could be interesting, I'll give him that. Compared to so many other candidates, though, he just doesn't measure up very well in my eyes.

Tails

Chance: 7.5%

It's not quite the same, but with how anatomically impossible it is to use twin tails like helicopter blades, this candidate has some wind powers of his own! Unlike Vaati, though, his strengths lie elsewhere, as an inventor and builder of machines. Though he (fortunately) hasn't ventured into building robots or hatching world domination plans, Tails has quite a bit more to his character than being Sonic's tagalong sidekick and little brother figure.

Though all the character depth in the world can't overcome other issues if they're also present. For one, we still don't know why Ryu got the nod to begin with, and because of that we don't know if further third party characters are any more likely than before. For two, Tails is...lagging behind a little in ballot support, even amongst the third party candidates.

No matter how high you can fly, it's pretty hard to reach your destination if so many obstacles are in the way.

Want: 22.5%
Not all that interested, to be honest. I mean, if they worked in some stuff based on his inventions, it could be interesting, but there're still some possible moveset issues there, and I still think it'd be a bad move to focus too much on third party characters from here on out. This is supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo first and foremost, you know? Not a massive inter-company crossover. That isn't the point of Smash.

Sora Prediction: 3.87%
A Disney property, apparently, and not a Square-Enix one? Either way, he has his share of fans but also his share of skeptics and detractors. There'll be some polarizing scores and words for this one.

Absol Prediction: 2.50%
I really hope I'm low on this one. As I've found out, even if you have some incredible potential and you're a fan favorite within your series, it isn't enough if you're just not on anyone's radar.

Nominations:
Good thing I have another card to play...and this one's already been getting some attention.

Delphox x10!

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
still no elaboration

Tails' chances: 10%
Want: 20%

Vaati's chances: 1%
Want: 30%

Absol prediction: 1.49%
Sora prediction: 4.35%

Nominations: Sami x5

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Am I too late...?

Tails

Chance: 5%

Capcom's got two representatives now, so why not Sega? Besides, I highly doubt that Sega has any other IPs that are as iconic as Sonic, so if we're going to get another Sega rep, it will most likely be another Sonic character. Even though Tails has to compete with Knuckles, Eggman and Shadow, Shadow and Knuckles aren't as iconic as Tails and Eggman's certainly not as important either, although he is pretty close.

Only thing that's really stopping Tails is lack of demand. It's possible that if the third-party rule is still broken in Smash 5, he could get in.

Want: 60%

I love Tails. He's my favorite Sonic character, although there are other Sega characters I want in over him. A non-Sonic Sega rep though is unlikely.

Vaati

Chance: Abstain

Even though I do know about this character, I do not know him well enough to gauge his chances.

Want: 80%

Favorite Zelda villain, but I mostly like him because the only Zelda games I've played were the handheld ones. =P

Nominations: Fiora (Xenoblade) x5

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Tails
Chances: 25%
I think this goes onto whether if Sega themselves really wants to get another character. If so, if they wanted another Sonic character you have to go with the big three that been in the franchise since it started. Those characters are of course, Sonic, Tails, And Knuckles. The early Genesis characters will make it in first because, they've been there since the beginning. Even if they're other popular Sonic characters, they are not going to get picked because they are either one-off characters or not that important side characters. Tails is indeed iconic enough, and we cannot deny that the Sonic is a big enough third party franchise, and I wouldn't be suprised if the Sonic series ends up being a mainstay franchise for Smash. Though I have to admit I'm a bit estranged against this because Sega does have other franchises that can easily mix well with the Nintendo canon such as Nights or heck even Super Monkey Ball could work, as a second Sega franchise.

Want: 90%
Like I said earlier I'm somewhat against but I also would not mind if this does happen. Because apprarently Ryu pretty much broke the third party companies can only get one character rule. While Sega does indeed have other franchises, that they can go to Sonic is the franchise that has the best connection and association with Nintendo. I feel if we're going to get another Sonic character Tails is going to be the one they'll go to first. He will have an interesting moveset with his machinery and his ability to fly could make him a unique character. I would like to see it happen but, I'm also somewhat against it which is why it gets a 90and not a full 100%

Vaati
Chance: 15%
He isn't a character that I care that much about. The only Zelda character I would really and I mean really want to see is Impa or Ghirahim mostly Impa. Though he'd be interesting.

Want:Abstain
Even though he'd be neat I'd like to see someone else.

Sora Prediction 5% This should be interesting, I just want to see the comments for this one.
Absol Prediction: 2%

Nomination: Sami x4

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Tails
Chance: 5% - If Sega get's a second rep like Capcom did, then I can easily see Tails being a frontrunner. His chances aren't great but there, unlike a lot of characters we've rated recently.
Want: 60% - For very early childhood nostalgia.

Vaati
Chance: 0% (rounded down) - Has been missing in action for over a decade and I don't see him ever appearing in another Zelda game ever. He may have the distinct honour of being the second most recurring villain in Zelda with three titles, but two of those games were among the worst selling in Zelda history. He didn't even appear in Hyrule Warriors.
Want: 40% - I may warm up to him.

Absol prediction: 1%

Nominations: Azura x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Tails:

Chance: 0.1%

Want:10%

I really don't think a 3rd party series would get a 2nd rep.

Vaati:

Chances: 8%

Want:30%

One of the few reoccuring Zelda characters. But there are other Zelda characters that are more requested than him.

Predictions:

Sora: 6.78%

Absol: 1.67%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
TAILS
CHANCE: 12.07%
WANT: 42.39%

VAATI
CHANCE: 6.80%
WANT: 34.97%
Next up We're rating Absol and predicting what score Sora and Black Mage will get tomorrow.
@ Icedragonadam Icedragonadam I counted your score.
@ TimidKitsune129 TimidKitsune129 I did count your nomination.

Last edited:
Absol. . .utely not happening

Chance 0%
one pokemon of undreds with no major thing going for it. Sure it has a mega but so do many more. There really is nothing going for this guy other than being 1st party. Thats about it.

Want 5%
Meh.

Prediction
Sora 3%
Black mage 10%

Noms
agnes 3
Next smash has new director 2.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The certainty of danger when this mon is around? Absolute.

HUEHUEHUEHUE

Chance: 3%

Absol has a lot of hurdles in its way. As a RSE Pokemon, Sceptile and Blaziken are way more requested from that era. As a Mega Evolution mon it competes with the aforementioned two as well. Not helping things is that it could be seen as overly generic in the 700+ roster of Pokemon to choose from.

Want: 85%

To be honest, in the really unlikely event we get a Pokemon newcomer, Absol would be one of my few picks that I'd actually want. Since Darkrai is a summon (sadly), Absol is the only Dark-type I'd want too.

Sora's tomorrow? Okay.

Predictions:

Sora: 6%

Black Mage: 7%

Nominate: Delphox x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Chance: 1%
Want: 0%
Another Pokémon - so is everyone going to deem this "Ugh, too many reps!" or "Yay! 3rd gen representation!"...
Personally, I remember when R/S was the dark days of Pokémon, but they've redeemed themselves with the recent remakes. Does that deserve a representative, though? Maybe, but the reason most of the Pokémon in the game currently are 1st gen is that they are the most well known. There's a reason we've got 1G Mario characters like Luigi and Peach over the more modern Toadette and Piantas. Granted, there are later gen breakouts like Rosalina...or Lucario. Unfortunately, Absol is not one of them. If we got a 3G rep, it'd be Blaziken or Gardevoir (I'd prefer her, personally).

Besides, we've still got 3 Pokéveterans, and many polls would prefer vets to return.
Sora Prediction: 1.9%
Black Mage Prediction: 2.4%

Nom: Classic mode x5

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
"7+ DLC Characters - 74.78% (Unconfirmed)"
Sakurai said in famatsu that he was gonna add several Ballet DLC characters... several in the dictionary says "more than two but not many." Thier are 4 dlc characters, 4 + 2 = 6... 1 off but this might as well be confirmed.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
@ Sari Sari is the extra nomination winner for Tails, and @ JBRPG JBRPG and @ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice win for Vaati.

Edit: ...Sorry to the person I accidentally tagged >_>

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Absol

Chance - 0.75% - To be fair, he's more popular than average folks, but he's as notable as any other 'mon at this point. If he gets more than a mega evolution next game, I can see him coming in, but I don't think he's a good candidate at the moment.

Want - 40% - Eh. There are better pokemon that could do more.

Sora Prediction - 0.45% - Ha, owned by Disny, so he has no chance.

Black Mage Prediction - 4.14% - Well, better than slime I guess...

Nominations
Secondary ballot X5

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Absol

Chances: 0%

Yes, he's fairly popular among Pokemon fans and yes he's a 3rd gen Pokemon, but there are already other Pokemon that are taking up his niche. For one thing, there's Greninja; he's already part Dark type. It would be a tad redundant to have two Dark types in Smash bros. Second, Sceptile's a more popular choice for third gen, and he already has a Mega Evolution.

Want: 45%

I like Absol. It's a cool Pokemon, but it's not one of my favorites. If he got in though, I definitely wouldn't mind giving him a spin.

Sora Prediction: Abstain; Don't know enough about Sora to predict his chances.

Black Mage Prediction: Abstain; Don't know much about him either.

Nominations: I already made a post today so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to nominate again. If I am though, then I'll nominate Fiora again for x5.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I sense a storm coming....or is it just low ratings?

Absol

Chance: 0.1%
The Gen 3 dark type that is often accused as a Harbinger of disaster, despite its better intentions. Absol has a fairly large fanbase when it comes to pokemon, one that has increased since Generation 6 with the addition of it's gorgeous Mega form (and it's involvement on the Rival team being his/her Mega post-game). however despite it's somewhat decent popularity in Pokemon, when it comes to smash, it is almost non-exsistent.
The only thing going in Absol's favour is it sheer potential for a viable moveset, which may not in itself be enough as there are an infinite amount of characters, not just pokemon, that have that in their favour as well...A lot of those are much more popular and more iconic than Absol...As stated yesterday this one's a definition of a long shot...at least in Pokken it has a better chance...

----

Want: 60%
Something about Absol has captured some interest, @ Delzethin Delzethin 's support thread mentioned these weather traps by Absol, that can be selected similarly to Shulk's Monado's, which can be a good way to represent the different weather effects in Pokemon and actually on their own got me a bit more interested in the (albeit very ambitious) prospect of Absol being a Smash fighter...Absol has a lot to work with, using moves like Razor Wind which is pretty much its signature move (that originated in Gen 1 mind you) as well as Dark Type attacks and access to Ice, Fire, Electric moves as well and Rock type moves too...And this is all without it's Mega Form which is one of my favourite Megas just based off of it's gorgeous design...

However Absol isn't my first choice, at least when it comes to Pokemon...when it comes to Long Shots, then Weavile (Pokken HYPE!!!!!) would be that...and for more iconic Pokes Sceptile or Zoroark would be pretty cool as well...heck I could list of 100 pokemon that would be awesome in Smash, however Absol would easily be on that list...

----

Prediction:
Sora (again): 5.6%
Sticking with yesterday's prediciton...Over-infalted scores I'm expecting but being Disney property is a bigger issue than being Squre property...

Black Mage: 6.4%
An Actual iconic Square Enix character finally....Final Fantasy was the RPG that pretty much paved the way for other RPG's and has led itself into the (kinda overrated) Juggernaut we know of today...Black Mage's support isn't quite there though and Square Enix is a bit stingy with their property, but the Black Mage would be the character that is best fit for Smash both in iconism and style...

----

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3
Concept: New Metroid Prime Stage x2 (Phendrana Drifts, Skytown, Sanctuary Fortress, Tallon Overworld, Phaaze, Torvus Bog, Bryyo, Phazon Mines, Agon Wastes, Artifact Temple, Impact Crater, literally so much frikking potential and this :frigate: is what Sakurai went with in Brawl:urg:)

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Absol:
Chance 12%
Want 15%

Predictions:

Sora- 4%
Black Mage- 8%

Nominations
(Prediction winner bonus):

Smash 5 has 10 year wait cycle x10

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I can't say I didn't expect these ratings...but it doesn't make the lowest of them sting any less. It always hurts, receiving bad news; it can utterly devastate someone, leaving them feeling powerless, frustrated, sometimes angry at the one who brought it to their attention.

And yet...it still needs to happen. As much as it may hurt at first, we need to hear the bad news. Once we understand it for what it is, we can learn, grow, develop further in ways staying oblivious or ignorant doesn't let us. If anything, it makes those willing to be the bearer of bad news...some brave and tortured souls indeed.

--

Absol

Chance: 4.25%
An entire species gifted with the ability to foresee disasters, Absol are known for appearing before people just before something terrible happens. Until recently in the games, they were persecuted, stigmatized, believed to be causing the disasters instead of merely warning of them.

Despite not being a starter, not being a legendary, and debuting over ten years ago, Absol has stuck as a fan favorite. For some, it's been availability and viability--Absol have showed up in every new region since their debut, and with every generation they've become more powerful ingame (though still only mid tier competitively, lol). For others, it's their thematics and backstory, tragic yet noble in their own way, a massive contrast from the traits of most Dark types. For others still, they just look really awesome.

But despite all that...when people think of Smash, when they think of Pokémon characters they'd want to see in Smash...Absol never comes up. Even now, where so many 'mons have a chance that wouldn't before...nearly all the support is centered around the most prominent of them.

Despite having such appeal, despite being such a standout amongst other characters with dark-elemental powers, despite having one of the largest movepools of any Pokémon that'd translate to incredible moveset potential, and despite Game Freak themselves seeming to be fans...Absol just doesn't have the recognition it needs to stand a chance. Unless the developers took notice somehow and fell so hard for the concept that they needed to make it happen--not entirely out of the question, since we're talking about the same characteristics they looked for in the initial newcomers--this dream will never become a reality.

Perhaps I was the one that needed to hear bad news after all.

Want: 359% 100%
Not that it makes me wish it could happen any less.

Absol is my single most favorite Pokémon, and seeing one be playable in Smash would be something beyond my wildest dreams...even beyond Robin, if you can believe that. I've talked with people, brainstormed ideas, even made a support thread. I've come up with a moveset based around foreseeing any of several disasters that'd then befall the stage a few seconds later--something wholly new, unique, something no other character could bring. Saying I'm invested in the idea is a massive understatement.

It's...kind of a shame, really. Maybe some day someone will make a Smash fangame that lets you create your own characters from scratch. Maybe then this crazy idea could finally come to fruition.

Sora Prediction: 5.37%
A ways higher than my prediction earlier. I think I might've underestimated him, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow night to see.

Black Mage Prediction: 9.75%
The closest thing Final Fantasy has to an icon that'd also be a viable Smash fighter...but how will everyone think of his chances?

Nominations:
It's a shame Absol hasn't gotten off the ground.

It's a good thing I have another character I really want to see make it.

Delphox x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Absol
Chance: 0%
Want: 5%

Not that popular and he isn't really relevant now. A cool Pokémon but I think by now we have enough Pokémon reps and I don't think he would turn out that good.

Sora Prediction: 3.24%
Black Mage Prediction: 5.69%

Nomination: Waluigi (x5)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Chances: 0.5%

I'm sorry, but Absol's got insane competition, first it competes with the big names for a slot, then the pokemon veterans, then the Pokemon hopefuls, and then the Gen 3 hopefuls. Even in Gen 3, there are a few that are either more likely than him or about as likely. Just way too much competition to truly have a viable shot at ever getting in.

Want: 30%

Absol never really stood out much to me, I'd much rather prefer another gen 3 rep, and that would be Jirachi. While Absol has moveset potential, I can't really see it ever ending up as a character that I'd like to play as. Although, I will give it credit where it's due, much more enticing of a idea than Sceptile is, I'd greatly prefer Absol anyday over Sceptile. Unfortunately, out of the rest of the gen 3 options, Absol's kinda near the bottom of the well for me, there's a lot of Gen 3 reps I'd prefer over it. Sorry.

Predictions: Sora 20% I'm kinda expect a few 100%s this day and then some giant flamewar :(.
Black mage 10%

Nominations: Jirachi x 5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Absol is one of the more popular Pokemon from generation 3, one of the two Pokemon generations that is currently lacking in Pokemon reps on the Smash Bros scene (if we were to look at all the Smash Bros games that is). While generation 3 came out several years back, he is relevant in the current video game scene again thanks to the fact he got a Mega Evolution, the fact X/Y's rival uses an Absol (and ends up becoming his/her Mega Evolution Pokemon in the postgame), and the release of the Ruby and Sapphire remakes. He also has a very large move pool where one can draw out different moves for his Smash Bros moveset. Another thing going him for him is his unique factor. In addition to the potential for a very unique moveset, Absol would also be the first true quad-pedal fighter in Smash (while DK and Diddy walk/run on four feet, they also largely stand on two feet for a large portion of their attacks). This already adds to the unique factor Absol would bring to the roster.

However, he does face some major problems that hurts his chances from joining the roster. For starters, he doesn't that much support for a Smash Bros inclusion compared to other highly requested Pokemon like Sceptile, who is arguably the most popular Pokemon choice for a Smash Bros inclusion when it comes to a Gen 3 rep. The other issue he faces is that he isn't the most iconic/popular Pokemon out there, and when a Pokemon rep is considered, it usually goes to the one that is the most mainstream and favorited among Pokemon fans: Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario are good examples to name a few. Yes, there was Greninja, but his story is different (though he did go on to become one of, if not , the most popular Pokemon from generation 6 even before he was revealed for Smash Bros worldwide). Absol is not at the same status as Mewtwo/Charizard/Lucario/Pikachu/Jigglypuf/etc. sadly, so that also puts his chances quite low. Oh well, at least we always have Pokken Tournament to include Absol when the time comes.

Want: 50%

To be honest, I think Absol would be a very cool addition to Smash Bros. His ability to predict and warn about disasters would be very interesting for Smash Bros, not to mention he's got a huge move pool to work of in order to create his special moveset, smash attack moveset, etc. More importantly, he is not a generation 1 Pokemon, and I personally think that the Pokemon lineup on the Smash Bros scene should be a bit more diversified and should now consider adding Pokemon that aren't from Kanto; with Absol having large ties to generation 3, that just makes things better. I will also admit he is a really cool-looking Pokemon and definitely one of the more memorable Pokemon for me back in the third generation.

But truth be told, he is not one of my most wanted Pokemon for a new Pokemon rep out there. Sure he'd be a great addition to the roster, but my strong desire to see Absol included is nothing compared to Gallade, the Pokemon I want to see appear in Smash Bros the most. It's because of that I am split between wanting to see him included because of the uniqueness he brings and not wanting to see him join the roster because of my hopes for Gallade.

Predictions:
Sora (Kingdom Hearts): 8.50%
Black Mage (Final Fantasy): 10.08%

Nominations:

Jean Descole (Professor Layton): x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Absol chances in Super Smash Bros.: 0.18%
Absol is admittedly a kind of standing-out Pokémon whose appeal goes beyond gen III, as proven by an appearance in every region introduced after Hoenn, one of the first revealed Mega Evolutions, and a unique affiliation with disasters that makes it popular. While it's admittedly something, I don't think Absol is really near to being a top tier iconic Pokémon being able to represent the franchise as a whole, more Poké Ball assist material if you ask me.

Absol want: 0.5%
I've already explained in my Gengar want rating that more Pokémon on the Smash Bros. roster is not what the game needs; the Pokémon franchise has so many different characters to choose from with unique designs and powers that adding more to Smash becomes stale at some point, especially considering standing-outness among these is often subjective.

This is where Absol belongs:

Bonus rating, Absol chances in Pokkén Tournament: 60%
Take what I said about Absol's chances in Super Smash Bros., remove the second sentence, and you get why Absol is perfectly playable material in Pokkén Tournament. It would also probably be the main if not only user of Future Sight in this game, as Absol is strongly assimilated with disasters happening soon, and that move represents this characteristic better than anything else. However, potential fighting style overlap with other Dark-type Pokémon with claws as their main way to attack, such as the confirmed Weavile or the reasonably likely Zoroark, may hold Absol back.

Sora prediction: 2.50%
Tomorrow will not be pretty...

Black Mage prediction: 4.98%
Could be a cool option to represent Square Enix's very influent Final Fantasy series.

Playable newcomer: Tetrimino x5
Keeping my extra nominations for later. Tetrimino's day is too close anyway.

Last edited:
Want: 30% (he could be interesting, but there's other Pokemon I want to see more.)

Sora prediction: 2%

Black Mage prediction: 10%

Nominations: Agumon 5x

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The Disaster Pokémon - Absol
Absol's main challenge presenting it is it's small support base, not to mention the belief of "too many Pokémon" that's not going to help. Would it help that it's not from the RGBY or GSC era? That's probably one of it's greatest assets, that it's from a Generation that isn't represented in Smash Bros. Like Shiny mentioned earlier, Pokkén would be a good way to explore what potential Absol has in a fighting game environment.

Neutral, but could be a unique fighter, without a doubt. I wouldn't mind it being a playable character in Pokkén Tournament if not Smash Bros.

Sora - 5.64% - The King of Crossovers himself!

Black Mage - 7.82% - One of his greatest assets is that the Black Mage is one of the most memorable Final Fantasy characters, and one closely associated with the early NES/SNES era of Final Fantasy games. I don't see Square Enix getting a playable character this round, but I think it could happen in future instalments.

Nominations: Isaac (GS) X5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Absolutely never happening:
Poor Pokémon.
Last time, I burned Sceptile to the ground, and now I'm bugging and fighting Absol.

Absol has moveset potential.
Big whoop.

Every Pokémon has moveset potential.

Bird pokémon like Pidgey or Hawlucha can bring an aerial acrobat moveset not seen yet in Smash.
Flying types can add a windbox-set to Super Windbox U.
Poison-types could Nosferatu everybody everyday with every move, same with Grass-types.

And that's not even counting individual Pokémon with potential.
Torterra could bring a defensive "turtling" fortress playstyle only remotely seen with heavies.
Blastoise could be a heavyweight gunner.
Chandelure could have a set like a Kirby-bossfight: Absorb, fly away, and shoot.

Not helping is the fact that Pokémon with the same amount of potential are brought in hordes each game.

Despite my rant, I wholeheartedly do not care.

Sora: 2.2%
Black Mage: 6.5%

Nabbit x5

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
"7+ DLC Characters - 74.78% (Unconfirmed)"
Sakurai said in famatsu that he was gonna add several Ballet DLC characters... several in the dictionary says "more than two but not many." Thier are 4 dlc characters, 4 + 2 = 6... 1 off but this might as well be confirmed.
Mind ya, this is a translated wording, where the original is 数.
Sure, 数, or equivalent to 幾 here, has a saying similar to your dictionary definition, "無三不成幾" (It's not several if not more than 3), but I suppose in this context, Sakurai didn't even plan how many to release (at least not an exact number/lower limit), hence "数", can be translated as "a few", not exactly 3+ (excluding the 4 released)

While Sakurai's wording is unexact, our definitions are. 7+ means that we get more than the 5 marios plus Mewtwo from the datamine. Along with the above proof that the wording is too vague to prove anything, this is not confirmed.

----

Absol

Chance 0.1%:
Or 1/700+ Pokemons we have, minus perhaps those we already get (as playable, in Pokeball, etc). He isn't anywhere special among all other characters, don't really have a significant appearance, unlike Pikachu, Lucario, and Mewtwo.

Want 0%:
Again, not something special to me, plus the fact that the DLCs available is getting smaller in number, I wouldn't not like to see him happening.

Predictions Abstain.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x3, Leon Powalski x2.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Chance 0%
Want 20%

Has pretty much no hope but could be cool. Gen 3 rep bonus as well.

prediction
Sora: 2.1%
Black Mage 7.4%

Nominate all veterans returning x5

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Absol

As unique as Absol looks, and even with an interesting back story for the species, I just don't see this happening.

Want: 0%
As someone who has supported characters that haven't got in time and time again, and being told I had rubbish taste in characters I want in... It's with a heavy heart for the Absol fans that I give a Zero. Sorry guys I know it's painful.

However, my Melee main is Pichu, and I am not asking for him to be back in Smash, because I don't really want another Pokémon rep in the game (I don't play them enough as it is) and feel that there are other franchises that need more first. (DK, Zelda for example).

Also with limited dlc, there are more characters I'd rather see and feel (rather biasedly) more deserving of spaces.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Absol
Chance:10%
Want:20%
Johto a pleasing welcome
Nominations:
TalimX5(SoulCalibur)
That is if your even taking nominations anymore because you didn't take my last one

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Absol

Chance
.359% - Whenever I see a rep for Pokemon on Rate their Chances, I know that character is going to be in for a hard time. A series that already has six characters in the game, and has three veterans on the fence, it's very unlikely to see any Pokemon Newcomers. Absol included. Maybe back in the day when Absol was... kinda popular(?), he would have had a chance, but with every growing generation, his time passes.

Want
5% - While weather move set's would be interesting, I feel those would be better suited to this guy:
upload_2015-7-4_9-20-25.jpeg

But then again, when looking at Castform, Absol doesn't look that bad. OK, 5%.

Predictions
Sora - 4%
Black Mage - 10%

Nominations
Eggman X5

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Absol
Chance:1%
HaHaHa...No
Want:0%
No more Kanto please
Nominations:
TalimX5(SoulCalibur)
That is if your even taking nominations anymore because you didn't take my last one
Absol isn't from Kanto...

Troykv

Smash Master
Absol... A Dark wi... Oh wait, wrong game.

He has two problems: doesn't as a Starter, Legendary or other super popular Pokemon (Like Lucario), and A LOT competition.

I'm okay with him.

Predictions: Sora and Black Mage (SE day xD)

Sora Chance: 4%
Black Mage: 11%

Nominations:

Adeleine x5

Top Bottom