• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Abstain from Sturm

Dixie Kong
Chance: 15% - I think Sakurai doesn't consider her to be at the level where she can be a solo character, or otherwise we would already have her.

Want: 0%

Fire Emblem DLC stage x 10

Predictions
Cranky - 15%
Xeno character -4%

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The Monkey Girl With the Whirl

Dixie Kong

Chance: 75%
Not only she has recency behind her, easy to implement (She can just use her boyfriend :4diddy: as basis for her model and moveset) and her starring in her own game with DKC 3 but the biggest is her being part of the Forbidden 7 from Brawl.

She's a very versatile character with her hair and athleticism, her bubblegum can be brought in and can have the animal buddies as a moveset

Want:100%
I love DKC2, it's my favorite of the serie, she's my favorite Kong, really enjoyed DKC3 and loved that she came back in Tropical Freeze. But the biggest is how different she is from DK and Diddy. She isn't the fastest or strongest but how she ises her hair for basically anything and her gliding around stages.

She is the best Kong and the best choice for DLC so go vote for her and bring in girl with the whirl.

Nominations
Starman x5
Isa x5

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Here comes the why you should vote for Sturm speech,

Sturm is the main antagonist of the Advance Wars series, while he doesn't have a good chance, he's a really likeable character thanks to his fame in the Advance Wars comedy series, Bob Squad. To learn more about Sturm and how his moveset could work, visit http://smashboards.com/threads/sturm-meteor-smashing-commander-of-black-hole-for-dlc.386649/

Here's Sturm's theme,
and here's a series of fan movies starring Sturm, which may make you like him more,
Sturm real life,
and some Sturm gifs,

Now that you know who Sturm is,

Sturm

Chance: 5%
Yeah he's not getting in unless we get an Advance Wars hero in first.

Want: 100%
He's a bad*** and can drop meteors on you when ever he wants.

Note: anyone who gives Sturm a bad Want score will be destroyed by meteor strike :awesome:,
and so far there's a bunch:demon:

Dixie Kong

Chance: 10%

Want: 1%

Predictions: Original Xenoblade character 2%

Predictions: Cranky Kong 10%

Nominations: Olaf (Advance Wars) X 3, Rerate BB bandit trio X1, Kaiba X1.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Dixie
Chance 8%
Her popularity is overshadowed completely by King K Rool and her inclusion would just ruin the point of the ballot. And I don't see both getting in
Sakurai specifically overlooked Chrom because of suppose similarities to Ike. Dixie likely falls under the same situation with Diddy, she could definitely be unique, but so could Chrom.
Even in Brawl, I believe it was stated that she was originally going to be included as a tag team with Diddy akin to Sheik and Pkmn Trainer, with Diddy & Dixie switching in and out. But was left out due to the above reason, I think?
I don't really care much about the kongs, I generally consider them very forgettable and are often my least used characters in any game.

Sturn
Both 0%

prediction
original Xenoblade character 2.7%
Cranky Kong 6%

nominate off-line tourney x2
R.O.B. eye bug fix rerate x3
K. Rool has a lot of popularity but it isn't hurting Dixie's chances. Also she isn't anywhere similar to Chrom. She can EASILY stand as an original character compared to Chrom who is Marth with Ike's power and dull look comparison towards the two. Outside of size and look, Dixie is nothing similar to Diddy at all.

What do you mean her inclusion would ruin the ballot's concept? If there's a demand and a interest then what's the issue. Remember the Smash Ballot is moreso of a suggestion box than a election. She's a popular character with a fair and large size following.

Sorry she doesn't have some crazy campaign like K. Rool and saying like she'll be undeserving is crazy. It's the consideration that helps moreso than anything else. Besides she was in TF, moreso than K. Rool, who I wouldn't mind getting in and would be great

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice thank you for counting my ratings for yesterday’s topic, it’s been a hectic day.
Sturm:
Chance
- 0%
Want - 0%
Well, I'd like to see Wars get more representation in smash, and attention in general, but I can't help but feel that getting a fighter would be the wrong way to do it considering the last game released in 2008. Unless the series suddenly sprung back to life, going straight from an assist trophy and nothing else to a full fighter might garner some unwanted hate since it'd be getting in over other more popular fighters from more popular series with more community support, etc. With the greater good of the series' possible growth in mind, I can't say I support the idea, a more gradual inclusion is called for, but the assist trophy is a good start to that.

Dixie Kong:
Chance
- 70%
Want - 50%
Between Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky for a new DK rep, the one I'd honestly like to see get in the most would be Cranky. However, Dixie and K. Rool, are the ones who actually have a chance of making it, and between them, I think I'd prefer K. Rool, plus K. Rool does have the better chance between them the way I see things. Regardless, I remain ultimately neutral towards Dixie and K. Rool. Dixie has a lot going for her, from being the next most deserving kong, to having being planned for brawl, it's definitely a battle between Dixie and K. Rool to become the next DK rep.

Predictions:

Cranky Kong - 15%
Second Xenoblade Chronicles Rep. - 5%

Nominations:

Validar (FE:A) x 3
Neku Sakuraba (TWEWY) x 2

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
THE DOUBLE ZERO PUNS

Dixie:
Chance Abstain
I'm not sure if those who rated low on this actually rated high on K Rool's chance/want, I'm not plotting this time. But as confusing as the situation goes, I don't want to give a chance rating anymore.

Want 17%/2 = 8.5%
The only reason I gave her a rating above zero is literally because I prefer her over K Rool.

Sturm:
Chance 0%/2= 0%
Based on what I've heard so far, he's a villain of a series who don't even have its hero represented. While the chances are not even high for any Wars rep to be added, this guy's chance is close to negligible.

Want 0%/2 = 0%
Would be a very weird choice to begin with.

Abstain from predictions (Krystal's not next. Huh.)

Nomination:
Isaac 4x
Slippy 1x

Last edited:

The Jiggernaut

Smash Cadet
Sturm. Never heard of him. Abstain.

Dixie Kong

Chance 75%
Honestly I feel that there is a 100% percent chance that there will be a new donkey kong rep. I feel the same about Star Fox. It just depends on whether it is Dixie/King K Rool or Wolf/Krystal. Whether we can get both Dixie and King K Rool depends on the amount of character slots that are being set aside for dlc.

Want 80%
I am not a big fan of Donkey Kong games( Barring Donkey Kong 64, love that game) but I feel like she rightly should come to smash bros. Her inclusion just makes sense to me

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
How time flies. It's been four months since we last checked on this character. In the time since, I've even started a playthrough of one of her games!

--

Rerate: Dixie Kong

Chance: 32.5% -> 42.5%
One could argue the infamous Mii costume helps Dixie's chances indirectly by getting her biggest kompetiton out of the way. To be honest...I don't think it does a whole lot for her. It assumes that 1) the costume rules out K. Rool himself entirely, and 2) that the dev team is either unwilling to bring in both of them or won't have the means to before calling it quits, and they prioritize her. Personally, I don't think either scenario is very likely, hence the not-very-big increase.

Dixie's biggest obstacle is still misinformed opinions. Even in this thread, I've seen a few people assume she'd be a clone or semi-clone, when honestly, there's more to her that'd lend toward being a fully original character! But that kind of hearsay can siphon away support...and it might end up being enough to keep her out of the developers' eyes.

Time will tell, I suppose. But it'll be a faster time than Brash could ever run!

Want: 45% -> 45%
I wouldn't mind her. I think she has the means to be a really interesting addition, and definitely not a straight up Diddy clone. However, there're other characters I care more about right now than her.

Sturm

Chance: 0.2%
Look, I'll be blunt. It ain't happening--barring something really weird happening--as long as Advance Wars' Smash presence stays as small as it currently is. Villain characters never get in before their counterpart heroes, and we've yet to see Andy, Sami, or anyone who'd qualify. Until we see more than just an Assist Trophy, Sturm might as well be stuck in a black hole.

Want: Abstain
And he should consider himself lucky I've never touched his home series, or I'd be killing him in this rating as well.

Cranky Kong Prediction: 8.75%
He's had some attention recently, but there isn't nearly enough support.

Prediction for the Concept of a Second Character from Xenoblade Chronicles: 13.25%
Several more likeable characters to pick from...but again, next to no support for all of them save one.

Nominations: Krystal Rerate x5

There's always been more open-ness toward two Donkey Kong characters being DLC. Surely people wouldn't decide it can happen with one series but see it as a deal breaker for another regardless of anything else, right? Not with how hypocritical it'd be?

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
B.B. Bandit Trio 2.0 Sturm chances: 0.01%
An antagonist from a series which is unlikely to get a protagonist in the first place due to the lack of care from IS for the series compared to Fire Emblem. Eh, not happening.

Sturm want: 1%
This seems kinda random for a character idea.

-----

Dixie Kong chances: 45.5%
I suppose I'll be frowned upon by some non-K.Rool-believer-anymore people with my rating which is lower than the overall chances score K. Rool got here, so I'll defend myself by saying that I wouldn't call anyone "more likely than not" besides Wolf and if I had to rerate K. Rool right now I would give him about 30% chances - after some time I finally have some clear opinion about his chances. Besides, I have a feeling that Dixie Kong may possibly be the most likely newcomer at this point. King K. Rool obviously gets a lot of support, but there's a lot of overlap between supporters of both characters (I wonder why... :rolleyes:), and thus maybe to avoid redundancy in core target demographic aka Donkey Kong fans (a "core target demographic" similar to how Ryu seemed to be mostly marketed towards fans of Street Fighter, and to an extent traditional fighting games as a whole) Sakurai wanted to only make one and chose Dixie while making K. Rool a Mii costume as a way to still acknowledge his popularity.

Besides, Dixie Kong herself is one of the most famous and consistently playable Nintendo characters who has yet to be featured in Super Smash Bros. as a fighter. She's a major protagonist in the second and third installments of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, just like Donkey and Diddy, and she was brought back by Retros Studios in Tropical Freeze; she definitely has the kind of star power which would be expected for a Super Smash Bros. character. She was also considered for Brawl, but only as part of a tag team with Diddy, and got axed due to technical issues. Now that Diddy is well established in the Smash Bros. franchise, Sakurai could easily go back to the idea of including Dixie Kong in Smash, at this point she probably wouldn't be an afterthought anymore and would be forced to be her own character anyway, plus Sakurai probably had some moveset ideas for her back in Brawl times that could easily be re-explored. Not to mention she could admittedly borrow some animations to Diddy for a few things (similar to how Lucas borrowed Ness' Final Smash stance and clapping animation, for example), while K. Rool admittedly would have a hard time borrowing fitting animations from other characters as reused assets - as animations are generally the hardest thing to do when programming Smash fighters.

Overall I think Dixie Kong is one of the strongest contenders for Smash 4 DLC, so I'll give her a chances score about a coin flip, though weighted slightly towards not happening due to how little precedence we have about DLC newcomers in Smash and the fact Sakurai is overall unpredictable. And while she has a lot going for her, it's not really enough for me to be convinced that she's exactly a shoo-in :/

Dixie Kong want: 88%
I used to not want her as much as this because King K. Rool always had been my personal preference for a new Donkey Kong character, but the idea of her joining the fray grew on me. She's definitely part of my childhood, and a character I enjoyed playing as in Donkey Kong games, but I wasn't exactly excited about getting a Diddy kind of semi-clone. Over the time I've come to think that she would be a great addition even if she was an obvious Diddy derivative, as Lucas and Roy proven me that it wasn't much of an issue to enjoy a character, plus I've also come to think that she wouldn't borrow that much from Diddy and could actually be mostly fully unique.

Even though I've not put much thought about Dixie Kong in Super Smash Bros. until fairly recently, I admit she's an important part of my childhood and I would love to play as her in Smash where I feel like she would be a perfect addition. To be quite honest King K. Rool is the only reason why this want score isn't 100%, I don't feel like he's more deserving than her or anything but he always had been my personal preference for a new Donkey Kong character.

I remember in my previous Dixie rating I said that I'd rather have Rayman for a character who uses their hair to control their air mobility, but to be quite honest I've come to accept that Dixie Kong is much more deserving than Rayman and that Smash is fine without him, so this no longer applies. And besides, if I want a platformer heroine who fights with her hair, I'd much rather have Dixie over the other third-party character we've rerated two days ago >_>

-----

Xenoblade Chronicles (not X) newcomer prediction: 11.12%
It could happen, but that's mostly a stretch.

Cranky Kong prediction: 6.40%
If even Dixie Kong is having a double trouble in chances and want against K. Rool, then you may expect an even worse situation for Cranky.

Nominating:
Concept: none of the top 3 wanted newcomers x5

Last edited:
Dixie Kong
Chance: 45%
Want: 70% (I prefer K. Rool, but I'd accept Dixie as well)

Sturm
Chance and Want: Double Zeroes

XC newcomer prediction: 10%
Cranky Kong prediction: 7%

Nominations: Kamek 5x

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong

Chance: 30%

Want: 55%

I want her but as far as DK characters go I want K. Rool more.

Last edited:

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
Hi! :)

- Dixie Kong:

Chances: 30%
Want: 5%

- Sturm:
Chances: 1%

I wouldn't like to see Dixie, because I think she could well be a alt Diddy.
As for Strum, I don't know the character and I dislike at first sight.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wouldn't like to see Dixie, because I think she could well be a alt Diddy.
I'm just gonna jump in and say that can't work.

Dixie physically cannot do some things that Diddy does.

The tail thing in particular. They could change the animation to use her hair but they may as well just make her a character at that point since they're changing more than a model.

Moreover, Dixie using jet barrels and peanut popguns is just silly.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What's the deal with rating side characters before protagonists from unrepped series in RTC? You could make it part of an RTC drinking game at this point. Take a shot every time it happens.

Sturm

Chance/Want: 0

Unrepped series, not the protagonist, this isn't happening.

Dixie Kong

Chance: 50%
Want: Abstain

Here's how I see things; DK is probably getting something from the Ballot, and to me, Dixie and Rool are on the same level. The metaphorical coin has two sides, and only time will tell on what side it landed.

I honestly don't care for Dixie enough to really want her.

Predictions:

XCX newcomer: 8%
Cranky Kong: 5%

Nominate: Frigate Orpheon x5

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong

An easy to make semi clone of one of the better characters in the game. Dixie Kong is popular; a fact that has seemingly got lost in the midst of Donkey Kong fans coming together to support K. Rool.

When I think female Nintendo characters, ya know who I think of?
Peach, Zelda, Samus and Dixie Kong.

Considering Smash 4 introduced tons of new female characters, it frankly baffles me how Dixie Kong of all characters was skipped over.
Dixie Kong; the heroine who saved the titular character Donkey Kong TWICE and her boyfriend once as well.
Dixie Kong, one of the first playable heroines.
Dixie Kong, someone I'd consider the Tritagonist of Donkey Kong, the fifth biggest Nintendo series.
Dixie Kong who was found in the 'Forbidden Seven' and appearing in the latest DK game.

Seriously, how did she get skipped? It's a darn shame since DK fans were clamouring for a new character from their fandom, and Dixie is one of the easiest characters who could have been included.

Sturm
Chance: 0%

Antagonist of an unrepped series.

Andy or Sami first please.

Troykv

Smash Master
Sturm:

Chance: 0%

Sorry, this needs that something already unlikeable happen: AW Protagonist Playable... And that is less likeable that get a 2nd character from series that already has DLC characters (Pokémon and Fire Emblem).

Want: 50%

He looks cool.

Dixie Kong:

Chance: 55%

Do you want a DK Rep? Does he want a DK Rep? EVERYONE ONES A DK REP!...

Dixie is a popular character (the usually considered: "consolation price") and nobody is conpletely sure about her inclussion in Brawl before was scrapped the idea.

Want: 50%

I would be happy to see DK fans with finally a new character...

But :4falco: personally I don't care

Predictions:

Original XC Character (The Original Xenoblade?): 4.7%
Cranky Kong: 5.9%

Nominations:

Fire Emblem DLC Stage x2 (I like your idea The Light Music Club The Light Music Club )
Ballot Runner-up for Smash 5 x1
None of the Top 3 wanted newcomers x1
Rerate! Shovel Knight x1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Dixie Kong
Chance:
30%

Copy and paste:
Dixie Kong
Chance:
30%

I gave her a bit higher score than King K. Rool.
She might not be as requested as Rool, but I think that she has two distinct advantages.
1. She was in a recent release with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze while K. Rool wasn't the main villain. This revitalized some interest in the character as she was being promoted for the game.
2. She wouldn't take as much time as King K. Rool. She would be a unique character, but her model can be taken from Diddy Kong, create a few new moves, and there! Dixie Kong is playable!
I didn't account for the Rool costume because that doesn't affect Dixie at all.
Yes! I would be happy if she got in.

Sturm
Chance and Want:
I give a storm of ZEROES! (Double Zeroes)

The antagonist before the protagonists? What? Why? And he isn't demanded.
No, I don't want him. This would be a random choice.

Original Xenoblade Character Prediction: 17.39%
So all we have left are Reyn, Sharla, Melia, and Seven... only one of them has a slight chance.
Cranky Kong Prediction: 7.77%
Tropical Freeze? He's not that popular of a choice to begin with.

Nominations: Heihachi 5x

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Strum's Chance: (might as well be) 0%
It's extremely unlikely that Wars will even get a character due to being significantly less popular than Fire Emblem and only marginally supported in the ballot. And in the odd chance that it does, it would be one of the good guys long before Strum. And getting one character is a long-shot at best, getting two is not going to happen.

Strum's Want: 0%
He's got an ok Darth Vader-esq design I guess, but there's really nothing that stands out about the character otherwise.

----------

Dixie Kong's Chance: 50%
I honestly believe if the DK series gets another character, it will be her. Despite K. Rool being more popular, it looks like Sakurai prioritizes sidekicks over villains. We got Luigi & Peach befor Bowser, Rosalina before Jr, Zelda/Sheik and Young Link before Ganondorf, Palutena before Dark Pit, Falco before Wolf; and let's not forget the series that has multiple characters that are only good guys like DK currently and Fire Emblem. By that trend alone, I'd say Dixie does stand better to get in.

She also was planned to be included in Brawl at one point, but was cut. There could be some leftover content they could recycle to shorten development time/cost as well as use Diddy as a base much like many of the derivative characters in this and past games. And it's not like her fan-base is small either, she has good demand even if it is second in her series to K. Rool.

Dixie Kong's Want: 60%
She's a good enough character, and I would buy her, but she's not really one I'd go bananas over. See what I did there?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Dixie Kong Chance:
60% -> 80%

Not much has changed about Dixie Kong's chances except her biggest competition being brought down. I'm on the side that the K. Rool costume de-confirms him.

She still holds her many beneficial factors in her favor. With her making a new major appearance in Tropical Freeze, having a base with Diddy to make things easier to develop Dixie, a somewhat large amount of demand, having importance with being one of the most popular DK characters during the classic DKC era, and being planned in Brawl (essentially giving her approval from Sakurai), I don't think she has any real glaring problems at this point other than not being confirmed yet.

She's a safe bet at this point, and I'll be a bit surprised if she didn't get in as pre-ballot.

D

Deleted member

Dixie Kong:
Chance:60%

I think it could go either way.

Want:70%
She is my 6th most wanted character, of course i want her.
-----------------------------------
Sturn:

Chance and Want:
The things i've said about Descole and Pious apply here as well.
Prediction:
Cranky Kong:10.56%

Noms:
Paper Mario X5

Last edited by a moderator:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Sturm
Chance: 0.1%
Abstain from explanation. I'll give the ex leader of Black Hole a small score of 0.1%
I can't imagine any situation that would make this character likely...

Want: 0.2%
Abstain from explanation.

Dixie Kong
Chance: 73%
Dixie is an interesting case. I always saw Dixie Kong as having a very slight edge over K. Rool (my previous ratings of 60% for K. Rool and 65% for Dixie will prove this). Now that K. Rool has a Mii Fighter costume I see Dixie Kong as the most likely first party newcomer DLC we might get. Dixie Kong is a widely popular and iconic pick, and the general audience shouldn't have a difficult time recognizing her (or at least should easily be able to figure out that she's from the Donkey Kong franchise just by looking at her). She could share some animations with Diddy, so with a smaller team creating DLC Dixie Kong probably seems like a tempting character to create. You also have to remember that we haven't gotten any female DLC characters yet, so I'm sure the developers want to make at least one to appeal to the female demographic. Dixie Kong easily does just that. There's also a huge outcry for a new Donkey Kong character right now, so making one for DLC is better late than never. Being a major character in Tropical Freeze, Dixie Kong also has the relevancy that many newcomers in Smash 4 have exhibited. She's also a character who was previously planned to be in Brawl meaning that she's a character that's definitely been on Sakurai's mind in the past, and that can't be anything but a good thing. I'll give the chimpanzee a solid score of 73%, which is an 8% increase from my original rating.
The way I see it, Dixie Kong basically has everything going for her...

Want: 60%
A small drop from my original want score. I really only want her because I feel that the Donkey Kong franchise deserves a newcomer in general, and she appeals to me over K. Rool by quite a margin. That being said, both K. Rool and Dixie are characters that I'm not personally attached to, so if neither made it in I would only feel bad for the many fans that want a Donkey Kong newcomer. It wouldn't really affect me.

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Strum
Chance: 10%
I'm sorry but he has 0 chance to get in before the main PROtagonist the only way I see him getting in is if he's bundled
Want: 40%
Dixie Kong:
Chance: 80%
Welp since K.Rool out of running it gives Dixie's chance to shine plus she was one of the forbidden 7
I was actually hoping Dixie got in before K. Rool and I was hoping for her to be a Smash newcomer with Shadow and Nightmare, sadly none made it
Nominations:
NightmareX4(SoulCalibur)
Silver(Sonic)

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Dixie Kong
Chance: 80%

Strong character. Has everything going for her. Moveset potential, Tropical Freeze, lead of own game (which was a big success even after the N64 launched months prior), fan favorite, previously considered.

Sturm
Double Abstain.

Prediction
Cranky Kong: 13.78%

Nominate x5 Slippy

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sturm - double zeroes. See everyone else's arguments; I don't feel like restating them.

Dixie
Chance: 70%
So, things have gotten more interesting for you...
I know that loads of people are trying to convince themselves that the K.Rool costume doesn't mean anything, and I sincerely hope that's right. However, these arguments seem to have the same amount of basis as the Pyrosphere shadow being a playable Ridley. Now, K.Rool is probably on top of the ballot, considering every unofficial poll is putting him at or near the top. But he has been irrelevant for a while, and they've made new enemies in the last two DK games.

K.Rool is definitely not getting in pre-ballot. We've still got two slots (that we know of), which are assumed to be two more pre-ballot slots. The other thing to note is that three out of the four current (pre-ballot) DLC characters were at least planned for Brawl, and we're now seeing those movements.

I bet what happened is that they've planned Dixie pre-ballot since it's enough of a shocker that she hasn't made it in yet. If so, they've got her movement that was planned but not implemented. The popularity of K.Rool is probably taking Nintendo by surprise, so they decided to give us something for him, but unless there's a major pull, they probably won't make him DLC - look how much we complained about too much Kid Icarus content, they'd probably guess two DK DLC characters would not sell (despite the western world thinking DK is hideously underrepresented; Japan doesn't really care too much about Western-centric series like DK or Metroid)

Now I think Dixie deserves to be in. But K.Rool deserves it more, and I want him in. And I bet we're not getting more than one per series.
Both predictions: 1.4%

Nom: none of the top 3 x5

Nominations
Starman x5
Isa x5
You get 5 nominations per day. How do you want these split?

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I could be wrong but looking at these ratings so far I get the feeling Dixie is about to become the highest rated chance newcomer. Which is strange to me since it seems her fanbase is small compared to most characters.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I could be wrong but looking at these ratings so far I get the feeling Dixie is about to become the highest rated chance newcomer. Which is strange to me since it seems her fanbase is small compared to most characters.
Fanbase size alone isn't the only factor that makes a character likely or unlikely in my eyes.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Fanbase size alone isn't the only factor that makes a character likely or unlikely in my eyes.
I think it is important though. Why release a character that isn't in as high of a demand as another? If the character appeals to more people that equals more profit for Nintendo.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sturm - double zeroes. See everyone else's arguments; I don't feel like restating them.

Dixie
Chance: 70%
So, things have gotten more interesting for you...
I know that loads of people are trying to convince themselves that the K.Rool costume doesn't mean anything, and I sincerely hope that's right. However, these arguments seem to have the same amount of basis as the Pyrosphere shadow being a playable Ridley. Now, K.Rool is probably on top of the ballot, considering every unofficial poll is putting him at or near the top. But he has been irrelevant for a while, and they've made new enemies in the last two DK games.

K.Rool is definitely not getting in pre-ballot. We've still got two slots (that we know of), which are assumed to be two more pre-ballot slots. The other thing to note is that three out of the four current (pre-ballot) DLC characters were at least planned for Brawl, and we're now seeing those movements.

I bet what happened is that they've planned Dixie pre-ballot since it's enough of a shocker that she hasn't made it in yet. If so, they've got her movement that was planned but not implemented. The popularity of K.Rool is probably taking Nintendo by surprise, so they decided to give us something for him, but unless there's a major pull, they probably won't make him DLC - look how much we complained about too much Kid Icarus content, they'd probably guess two DK DLC characters would not sell (despite the western world thinking DK is hideously underrepresented; Japan doesn't really care too much about Western-centric series like DK or Metroid)

Now I think Dixie deserves to be in. But K.Rool deserves it more, and I want him in. And I bet we're not getting more than one per series.
Both predictions: 1.4%

Nom: none of the top 3 x5

You get 5 nominations per day. How do you want these split?
Technically they were all already nominated. I've nominated them for over 3-4 months

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dixie Kong:
She does have a good chance and K. Rool's Kostume could be taken as an indicator that Sakurai would rather have Dixie instead. Being similar to Diddy will make it a bit easier to make her and she's relevant, popular and important to the DK franchise, ticking all the boxes for a good newcomer. With nothing blocking her, she might make a triumphant recovery like in Tropical Freeze.

Dixie deserves to be in at this point, honestly, starring in literally all Donkey Kong games since DKC2. And of course, I'm a fan too.​

:231:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I think it is important though. Why release a character that isn't in as high of a demand as another? If the character appeals to more people that equals more profit for Nintendo.
That's the thing though. Some characters appeal to the general audience more so than ones that are popular on Smashboards. While Dixie might not quite be as requested as K. Rool, I believe Dixie would appeal to more people who own Smash. Part of that is because Dixie is overall more recognizable than K. Rool. I mentioned in my rating that people won't have any trouble recognizing her, which automatically makes her an easier sell to most owners of Smash 4. People like what they're familiar with. This is all just my opinion though. I don't wish to start a large debate in this thread since it's frowned upon by Colder_than_ice. Just letting you know that's the way I see the situation and why I feel her chances are better than K. Rool's.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing though. Some characters appeal to the general audience more so than ones that are popular on Smashboards. While Dixie might not quite be as requested as K. Rool, I believe Dixie would appeal to more people who own Smash. Part of that is because Dixie is overall more recognizable than K. Rool. I mentioned in my rating that people won't have any trouble recognizing her, which automatically makes her an easier sell to most owners of Smash 4. People like what they're familiar with. This is all just my opinion though. I don't wish to start a large debate in this thread since it's frowned upon by Colder_than_ice. Just letting you know that's the way I see the situation and why I feel her chances are better than K. Rool's.
I do agree that we shouldn't start a debate; however, who said I was ever talking about K. Rool? I'm talking about every possible DLC character. I don't see Dixie being more popular than a lot of newcomer characters.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the K. Rool fanbase is on average older than the Dixie fanbase, because of Tropical Freeze. There's a large amount of overlap in the fanbases too, as they are all basically DKC fans and there are very few games with only one or the other.

While DLC=money is a valid argument, Nintendo has to attempt to woo both the older and newer fans for maximum profit. There is slight chance K. Rool might not resonate with younger, newer fans as he has been absent for so long (last major role in a game was in 2006), while Dixie had a release just last year, giving her some much needed spotlight, and can appeal to older fans as well.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I do agree that we shouldn't start a debate; however, who said I was ever talking about K. Rool? I'm talking about every possible DLC character. I don't see Dixie being more popular than a lot of newcomer characters.
I guess I was just using K. Rool as an example because when you think of a popularity contest with Dixie as the topic of discussion, you think of Dixie and K. Rool. Even then, Dixie does have notable popularity among the Smash fanbase. It's not like she's an unpopular pick by any means. Don't see where you're coming from there.

What I notice is a large portion of the Smash fanbase wanting a new playable Donkey Kong character with the main two being K. Rool and Dixie Kong, and if we're getting a Donkey Kong newcomer as DLC (which I think is likely since there's an obvious demand for it) I believe that Sakurai is going to go with the character that he feels will appeal to the most people since it's DLC we're talking about here. First and foremost, DLC has to sell.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I think the K. Rool fanbase is on average older than the Dixie fanbase, because of Tropical Freeze. There's a large amount of overlap in the fanbases too, as they are all basically DKC fans and there are very few games with only one or the other.

While DLC=money is a valid argument, Nintendo has to attempt to woo both the older and newer fans for maximum profit. There is slight chance K. Rool might not resonate with younger, newer fans as he has been absent for so long (last major role in a game was in 2006), while Dixie had a release just last year, giving her some much needed spotlight, and can appeal to older fans as well.
I'm not referring to K. Rool LOL:lol:

I guess I was just using K. Rool as an example because when you think of a popularity contest with Dixie as the topic of discussion, you think of Dixie and K. Rool. Even then, Dixie does have notable popularity among the Smash fanbase. It's not like she's an unpopular pick by any means. Don't see where you're coming from there.

What I notice is a large portion of the Smash fanbase wanting a new playable Donkey Kong character with the main two being K. Rool and Dixie Kong, and if we're getting a Donkey Kong newcomer as DLC (which I think is likely since there's an obvious demand for it) I believe that Sakurai is going to go with the character that he feels will appeal to the most people since it's DLC we're talking about here. First and foremost, DLC has to sell.
I agree that people have been saying more DK characters and I do agree that Dixie has fans, but she seems to be less popular (from what I can tell) among the casual fanbase than other popular characters. We may just have to agree to disagree on this. No hard feelings I hope.:)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So Sturm has 17 double zero ratings and 9 abstains right now. Will he defeat Jean Descole can claim the dubious honour of the least likely character we've rated?

:231:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Dixie: Chance: 53%. Has a few things going for her.
Want: 80%. My preferred DK newcomer. That's likely, at least.

Sturm person: Double zeroes. Too random.

Nomination: Krystal rerate x5.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Sturm:

Chance and Want: 3%

Dixie Kong:

Chance: 73%
Her chances are up thanks to that costume but I still hope for K. Rool

Me on the K. Rool vs. Dixie debate:

Predictions for Cranky Kong: 29% Chance, 56% Want
Predictions for 2nd Xenoblade Chronicles Character: 21% Chance, 60% Want