• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

ExtDoc

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtDoctor
3DS FC
3626-0833-5755
Switch FC
SW-5883-4164-4801
Most Inflating: :4megaman::4pacman::4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:
Most Deflating: :4lucina::4robinm::4robinm:(Not Chrom):4feroy::4ryu:

Roy and Ryu fit both categories because the leak got me both hyped for the characters and sad because the surprise was ruined.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I've already gone into great detail on this before, and nothing has changed, so I'll simply repeat what I said then.

Mind you, it's a long story...

Most Hype Deflating Moment
The Reign of the Gematsu Leak

Here's some fitting music

For me, nothing really came close to draining my hype for the game than the time period when the Gematsu Leak and its zealots dominated speculation. Ever since the reveal of Smash 4, this leak has had quite the strong presence. Initially, it wasn't talked about too much; it remarkably managed to get Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer right, but it was also partially dismissed due to being wrong about Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Miis being revealed at E3. There were those who believed it, and those who didn't; it was more or less just something to consider at the time. Now, cut forward almost a year later, right before before the Smash Direct aired. Little Mac had recently been confirmed, as the leak had claimed and many had speculated, so the leak had a little more credibility to its name. Just then, a second part of the leaked was revealed on Gematsu, claiming that Palutena, Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men, and an unspecified Pokemon from X and Y would be among the cast of newcomers. Soon after, Greninja was confirmed, once again matching the leak's claims. It was at this point that the leak developed a following of strong believers; there were many who began to claim that the leak was 100%, without a doubt, real, and that all the characters listed on the leak would be joining the roster. It wasn't long before accusations of "denial" were thrown at those who were not fully convinced the leak was real. Arguments would spring up with regularity between those who questioned the leak's validity and those who believed it to be absolute. Frankly, it wasn't a pretty sight. Things only got worse from there, as E3 revealed Palutena, Pac-Man, and Mii Fighters (who were recently mentioned by that name in a third Gematsu leak), as well as showing off a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run. At this point, the number of people who believed the leak to be gospel skyrocketed, and those who continued to question the leak were dismissed as idiots in denial, unwilling to accept reality. The leak soon dominated speculation, and it became less of a question of whether or not the leak was real, but rather if we would even get anyone else beyond those that were leaked.

So enough with the history lesson; why was this the most hype deflating moment/extended period of time for me? The reason for that is twofold. For one, I am very agitated when people speak in absolutes. We are mere speculators; we do not, and cannot know for certain what the future of the game holds until it is either confirmed, or until there is decisive proof (the recent roster and footage leaks that perfectly match the artwork and gameplay of the actual game are good examples of decisive proof). In the case of the Gematsu leak, many people were quick to proclaim the leak as 100% absolute after it got Wii Fit Trainer correct, and even more so after it got so many other things correct. The thing is, though, that we never knew for certain that everything the leak said would become a reality; one would logically think that the rest of the leak's claims would be proven due to its incredible accuracy, but its accuracy alone did not constitute decisive proof. For all we could have known, the leak could have actually leaked a number of characters and guessed the rest of them. Since the leak was nothing more than text on a page, that was a real possibility. In fact, there was plenty of evidence pointing to the leak being outdated, so with that in mind, it was also possible that one of the leaked characters could have been cut or changed later in development. These were possibilities that could not be ruled out. And yet, people continued to say that the leak was absolute, essentially claiming that these real possibilities did not exist. When you start speaking in absolutes, it creates this false sense that there are no other outcomes... I hate that. It's disgusting. To make matters worse, those who denied the existence of these possibilities also claimed that those who believed in such possibilities were delusional, idiotic, foolish, and in denial. Aside from just being cruel, it's also flat out illogical; how can you be in denial over an uncertain outcome? All that talk of absolutes, all those claims that this is what will happen, and nothing else can, and all those accusations of denial... It really killed off some of my hype for the game.

Of course, there was also another reason why the Gematsu leak deflated my hype, and that was Robin. Ever since I joined Smashboards, I was a strong advocate for Robin being the new representative for Fire Emblem. As someone who loves the series, I was rather disappointed with how it was represented in Smash; nothing but blue-haired swordsman. It made the series look rather dull to anyone unfamiliar with it, when in fact there's so much more to it than that. That's where Robin could come in; unlike the other prime candidate, Chrom, Robin could be a visually distinct Fire Emblem character that could represent so many key concepts from the Fire Emblem series, such as magic, tactics, the use of multiple weapons, and avatar characters, while also being a really unique and fun addition to the roster; to me, it was just perfect! Of course, there was Chrom, who was always viewed as the more likely of the two since the beginning due to arbitrary ideas that only Lords can get in, and that an avatar like Robin couldn't. Despite this setback, I, along with many others, continued to show support for Robin, and did my best to show others that he/she really did have a chance at making it onto the roster.

And then the Gematsu leak happened. It said that Chrom would be a newcomer, which would essentially destroy Robin's chances at making it onto the roster. The leak eventually got to the point where it was widely accepted as truth, leaving us Robin supporters as nothing more than delusional Fire Emblem fans that just couldn't accept the supposed reality that we wouldn't get the character we wanted. In reality, we Robin supporters were constantly analyzing the Gematsu leak, noticing things that most ignored, and we came to the conclusion that the leak was almost certainly outdated; in other words, anything on it could change. However, the community had already accepted the leak as an absolute reality, and our observations were brushed off as simple bias and wishful thinking. All around us we just kept seeing people write off Robin as an impossibility, proclaiming the Gematsu leak as gospel, and telling us to wake up and face reality...

Yeah Robin is not looking so good now, as expected.
I find Robin to be Brawl's version of Krystal in term of overrateness with them not even becoming playable.
You guys are taking your expectations for Robin too far.
Robin is just wishful thinking.
We're talking about Robin again? Call me back when we have a character who has a much better shot than him
I don't know why there's any dispute over which character we'll get from Fire Emblem Awakening, Chrom is the most obvious choice. I know that you kind of have to expect the unexpected when it comes to Sakurai, but when has the Fire Emblem character that represents a game in the series NOT been the main lord?
I feel like people are just grasping at straws here because they would prefer Robin. But Chrom's fate in smash bros is already written!
People are going to really disappointed if they keep up this denial...
Gematsu looks to be ironclad, which means Chrom is guaranteed. Every mote of evidence that exists points at it being absolute truth.
Whenever i see someone asking for Lucina and Robin instead of Chrom, i feel like they don't want to accept reality, is going to be Chrom, want it or not...
ITT: Denial. Because unlike you idiots I don't reject reality.
LOL Robin and Lucina are very overrated, guys the Gematsu leak is real, Chrom is the FE newcomer and he will obviously be the only one.
I'm starting to get the impression that Hong is only saying this stuff because of bias...
C'mon guys, really?
Just face it. The Gematsu leak is REAL. Typically, I would have not stopped in here, but this is just crazy. The leak is real. It makes sense for it to be. Chorus Men are basically confirmed with the enemy in Smash Run anyway. Chrom is going to happen. Shulk is probably happening Monday. It doesn't mean other people can't get in, but Gematsu is real.

I mean honestly. There's no reason to deny it now. It doesn't even matter. Every character in it has been revealed thus far, and there's basically no stopping it.

Frankly, if you're still denying it, you're going to start looking foolish.

To put it simply, it wasn't a pleasant time for us, and all of it did very little good for getting me excited for the game. That whole time period made everything seem so hopeless and depressing...

But that leads me to my (obvious) most hyping moment in all of Smash history...

Most Hyping Moment
Time to Tip the Scales!

Have some more music.

Do I need to explain this one?

Robin was the realization of a seemingly impossible dream; Robin finally granted some long overdue justice to an amazing series that had previously received relatively poor representation in Smash; and best of all, Robin proved once and for all that anything can change, and singlehandedly restored hope to a community that once believed their fate to be set in stone. I don't think anything could compare to that one moment for me.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This story is a unique specimen.

My most hype inflating/deflating moment comes from the same specimen.

:4robinm:

Why it was deflating:

There were two things I wanted during speculation: Mewtwo and Snake. The reveal date for Robin happened to coincide with an anniversary related to Mewtwo, and I, alongside some others, speculated that this could be the day. At the time, I was blissfully unaware of Gematsu's existence, and I even lacked a top newcomer list. Fire Emblem was a meh series for me back then as well.

The day comes, the trailer happens...and I am left in disappointment. Who is this guy and why did he steal Mewtwo's reveal? That sucks. Now I have no other theories to point to, and speculation continues...

Why it was inflating:

...until I'm introduced to the series proper, from which I do a complete 180 and realize that my hatred back then was more of ignorance than actual hatred of the character, forever regretting not being hype that day. Between securing a main, making me a lot of friends, and introducing me to a series, Robin's reveal was the most inflating Smash moment...ironically enough, long after it should have been.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Hype Inflating
1) Palutena Reveal- Not so much that I thought that her trailer and move set were great (both were good but flawed) as much as she was my only top wanted character that made it. I liked many of the others, but they were not top three or four.
2) Robin Reveal- Robin was a fantastic choice that I kind of wanted to happen but didn't really think would. I don't actually play with Robin very much, but I'm glad he's there. The reveal also brought a much needed breath of fresh air from King Gematsu.
3) Mewtwo Reveal- Mewtwo is great, but more importantly to me... DLC characters confirmed!

Hype Deflating
1) ESRB Leak- Most of the characters that we saw were either already shoe-ins or weren't very hype reveals for me. Duck Hunt was nice and I was ok with Shulk, but still… no DK newcomers? Really?
2) First couple of months of daily pics- I know it was early and we ended up getting good info later on… but the first couple months were brutal. Almost all of it was exact stuff we already saw in the E3 trailer. Personally, I'd rather have nothing at all and just watch the trailer over and over again rather than get excited every morning just to find absolutely nothing.
After that, it was great, though.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Well, knowing Smash 4 way after the existence of amiibos, there's nothing really Hype-inflating for me. I just happen to know about this game because my brother bought it for fun and I took the manual-like thing and looked at the character. I remember the most "surprising" thing for me was WFT, and didn't really notice on other stuff.

I-dunno-how-long-later I went to search for Smash Bros, and started learning stuff before I even played it. Have been watching stuff like Brawl in the Family (I didn't even know what this webcomic is about before knowing the existence of Smash), and some youtube videos like Honest Trailer, Glitchfest (yeah lol) etc before I actually decided to play Smash Bros.

So that said, there's only a few "hype moments" for me: All Directs happened after April 1st.

So yeah. The most deflating moment of course is the recent leak, which hyped me up for a few minutes, but as I was forced back to work, I few less and less hyped and even felt unhappy about the characters. While I don't have anything negative for Roy, I still felt like Ryu broke two preset rule at once: No "fighting characters" and No "2 reps from same 3rd party". I felt like that this would break the floodgate once more, now Tails supporters have a much bigger reason to campaign stuff, and more unexpectable, horrible choices will thus arise.

Also part of the reason is of course that Wolf, whilst being said as a "shoe-in" all the time, still haven't got announced. While I was extremely hyped for the chance of Wolf being announced in this presentation, now everything is spoilt: no Wolf this time. That means all the hype (and the motivation to finish my work so that I can focus on my hype) is lost for me.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Most Hype Moment

Mega Man's Trailer

Honestly, Mega Man's trailer was the most hype thing through most of my time following Smash 4. It clearly showed a very unique play style and a ton of love to the series, even to someone who has never played the games. Even other characters who I thought might break the barter failed to do so.

Most deflating moment

Mii fighter revealed

A character I didn't like with more work put in than any other. As I don't play with customs, this really was a waste of time in my eyes.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Damn it, False, did you really have to steal my thunder? >_>

Okay then, I guess I'll take a different approach. Let me explain what it was like for me personally.

--

Most Deflating Moment:
The Gematsu Leak's Zealots

I've always enjoyed speculating, for a number of reasons I can only, well, speculate on. Analyzing things has always been something that, for me, comes naturally, and Smash Bros. combines it with a fighting game that involves so many other games and characters that I've become so invested in. It's the reason I'm in this thread to begin with...well, that and the writing experience.

Strangely, though, I didn't get very invested in Smash 4 newcomers until well into last year. I guess I'd just been preoccupied with other things. As June and E3 drew closer, though, I started realizing there were a handful of characters I was really hoping to see make it. Before then, I'd been more passive about it, looking over character ideas and mentioning one or two offhand if someone asked me who I wanted to see.

Even back then, though, I thought Robin could be really interesting, partially because I'd been a Fire Emblem fan for a while at that point (Interestingly enough, Ike's first game was my first), partially because Robin's personality is similar to my own in some ways, but mainly because I've always thought characters that use both physical weapons and magic are awesome. I remember playing through the Awakening demo back in late January 2013, and then when myself and some friends from another site were talking about it, half-jokingly saying "Robin for Smash 4?".

But for a long time, I didn't see Robin as more than a long shot...until Ike was revealed. For the longest time, I'd assumed Ike was going to step down for Chrom, and that Marth and Chrom were going to be the only Fire Emblem characters we got. With Ike's return, it raised a question: Would Sakurai really put three blue haired pure swordsmen into Smash? Would he bring in a newcomer who felt so similar to two veterans?

Suddenly, it felt like Robin had a legitimate chance.

Over the following few weeks, I became more active on Smashboards, lurking different support threads and finally posting in the Robin thread the night before E3. That was also when I found out about the Gematsu Leak, and stayed skeptical of it...until E3 came and went, and it nailed all three newcomers they revealed. I remember spending the next day or two...more or less devastated, and mainly from the idea that Chrom would get in just because, even though he'd so likely lean toward being similar to Marth or Ike, even though Robin could bring so much more to Smash and represent all of Fire Emblem in ways Chrom couldn't dream of.

It took the other Robin supporters to help me realize we still had a chance. We did what tacticians do best: we analyzed everything we knew about the Gematsu Leak...and we came to the conclusion that we still couldn't rely on it. There were too many unanswered questions, and some gaps in its information led us to believe it was outdated and its character list incomplete. Several of us even thought Chrom and Robin could both make it, as unlikely as it was.

In what should've been our darkest hour, we grew more dedicated than ever. For a span of two weeks, Robin's support thread was the third largest on the entire site, second only to Ridley and King K. Rool. Larger than Shulk's, larger than Isaac's, Bandana Dee's, and Mewtwo's, and over twice the size of Chrom's. As long as there was still a chance, we had a reason to fight.

Some people...didn't like that.

Another thing about me: I got bullied a lot growing up. It actually wasn't the ass-kicking, locker-shoving, gimme-your-lunch-money physical kind. No...in a way, it was worse. Throughout middle and high school, there were a handful of people who were out to humiliate me. They saw me as an easy target, someone they could spread rumors about, make baseless accusations of, and just generally ruin with little trouble because everyone would mindlessly believe anything they said. They didn't want attention. They didn't do it to provoke a reaction. They wanted to feel better than someone. Superior.

As the Gematsu Leak hung overhead for the last half of June and into July...I started seeing it all over again. Among those who believed the leak was true, there were a handful of what I can only compare to religious zealots. They didn't just believe it was true, they saw it as gospel. To them, anyone who didn't believe what they believed was a deluded idiot. To them, anyone who wasn't with them was fair game for humiliation because, in their minds, they deserved it.

Leak zealots worked their way into every part of Smashboards. You couldn't browse two threads without finding someone getting bashed for having second thoughts. This very thread's predecessor became a battleground. Even the Robin thread started seeing people barge in just to laugh in our faces about how we were "in denial" and needed to "admit we were wrong".

All while it was clear as day the zealots only wanted someone to feel better than.

To have something like that happen all over again, to have it also happen to people I was starting to consider friends...it hurt. Not only that, it infuriated me, knowing I couldn't fight back without being ganged up on by the other zealots and torn to shreds just to satiate their own insecurity.

When news came of a newcomer trailer to be revealed on that July 14th, most of us assumed it was going to be Shulk. The tacticians weren't any different, though we decided there were a handful of other possibilities. The night before, I went to bed assuming we were probably going to see Shulk revealed (which was still cool; he was my second most wanted newcomer), see his moveset in action, and get a look at some other Xenoblade content.

Not that it made it any easier to sleep. Heh.

I remember getting up around noon on the 14th (my sleep schedule's a few hours behind most people, I have trouble adjusting it, and it's a long story why) and being nervous about who I was going to see when I loaded the Smash website. As I was getting lunch ready while my laptop booted up, I saw a robin wandering around the back yard. I thought "Maybe, by some miracle, that's a sign."

Then I finally sat down, heart unnecessarily pounding as I loaded the Smash home page...

--

Most Hyping Moment:
By Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame

And there I saw an unmistakeable figure in a dark violet coat with a wind tome in his extended hand.

I spent several seconds staring in shock...and then I started cheering loud enough that the neighbors probably wondered what the hell happened.

Robin was everything we had hoped: a seamless blend of swordplay and magic tomes, showing a side of Fire Emblem that Marth, Ike, and Roy were never able to, and even with a nod to the games' durability mechanic that none of us had ever considered! Moreover, the Gematsu Leak, used so much as a weapon against us, was proven once and for all to not be gospel, and it was our character that had done it! Then Sakurai explained shortly after in an interview why his team had chosen Robin and not Chrom, and we discovered that the main reasons Robin made it into Smash were the exact reasons why we'd all thought Robin had a chance! The tacticians settled into the character forum we'd long hoped for, and got right back to doing what we did best, analyzing the trailer to see what we could learn from it.

As I saw more and more of the fans react with some version of "OH MY GOD ROBIN LOOKS AMAZING", all the turmoil, the attacks, the bullying we suffered leading up to the reveal no longer mattered. The sheer level of vindication I felt...I don't know if I can ever truly describe it.

For those who don't know me, my life has basically been on hold since February 2012. I was two and a half years through college when my health deteriorated so badly that I had to come home. Neither I nor the rest of my family has had enough expendable income to properly treat my injuries, and said injuries (plus a traumatic experience that involved multiple medications having freak side effects at the same time) have also directly prevented me from finding steady work. The reason I've been trying my hand at Let's Plays, other than being interested and thinking I could be pretty good at them? It's one of the only potential long shot career paths I can actually do right now.

In over three years now of frustration, despair, and far more pain than someone in their 20s should ever have to go through...Robin's reveal was one of the few truly great things that has happened to me. Because of that, and because of the friends I've made since, I don't think anything else in all of Smash Bros. could ever truly compare.

Even then, though, in the coming months, I hope we still see many moments that come close.

Last edited:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
I still can't believe we're just a few days away from E3. I still feel like the Robin reveal was only two months ago.
Time flies so quickly compared to, say, back in 2007. That wait was really painful.

MOST HYPE DEFLATING MOMENTS
3) Takamaru Assist Trophy confirmation.
While my main choices for Smash newcomers were always Robin, Ray and Lip, Takamaru was a character I was rather fond of. There was something about this guy that got my interest. I guess it's either the ancient Japanese style or his character(which was expanded in Captain Rainbow to something pretty nice), maybe both. He was never my No.1 pick, but I liked the guy and hoped he might get in. So you could imagine my deflation when I saw his post back in August. This was just after the disconfirmation of the Gematsu Leak too, so I had pretty high hopes for the future. I didn't take it too bad, but it was still something I was squirmy about. I hope he gets in by Smash 5.

2) Ridley Stage Hazard confirmation. First, I want to say that at the time of his reveal, I had never played a Metroid game. I played my first one (Super Metroid) in April, finished Zero Mission and loving what I am getting in Prime so far, but I hadn't done so back in October and thus had no reason whatsoever to want the character. So why am I putting him on this list? Well, because I had resided in Smashboards for some months by the reveal(I joined in August) and on my god, the Ridley detractors were so, sooooo annoying. It seems as if every thread I go I see an argument about him with such filthy slang plastered all over. Sometimes it was the Ridley fans with the swearing, but most of the time it came from the opposite side. Eventually I just reached a point where it was so annoying I just went and started supporting him myself. I had given him some support before the release, but around October it reached the point where Ridley was more of a "must" instead of a "want". Thus, I was seroiusly dissapointed when he was announced as a stage hazard. Honestly, if Mewtwo hadn't been revealed that day, I might have just withdrawn from the Smash community as a whole. It still slightly stings. Even though I don't think Ridley has any chance regarding this round, I would be extremely pleased if he ever gets announced as DLC. Especially as I've gone and played the games this time.

1) LEAKS. ALL THOSE STUPID LEAKS. The Gematsu leak, the ESRB leak, the Ryu leak...I hate them all. While I think Smash 4 is the best Smash ever(just my opinion), it has also been my least hyped game to date. This is mainly because all of those stupid leaks ruining every single suprise, almost every single time.

Let's take the most recent Ryu/Roy leak for example. I've said many times in this thread that I am against the idea of Ryu being in Smash. This has not changed even after his unofficial confirmation. But when I sneaked a look at some of the leaked gameplay of the character, I've noticed some points now and then where I thought Nintendo was rather creative and looked fun, might have even got me hyped if I hadn't hated the character. However, I probably would have been hyped if he had been revealed officially, through Nintendo's official trailer, with great music and brilliant camera. This is the part what I hate about leaks the most: they just throw the facts blantly at your face and you're left bewildered and confused, with no buildup or drama whatsoever. I've seen few people say that the leaks were their most hyped moments, in fact, rather the opposite. I believe it is due to reasons similiar to mine.

And that these leaks leave very little room for you to wonder. It is so much more fun to think without a stupid leak being shoved into your face as "the truth". It really sucks because usally, it really is.

MOST HYPE INFLATING MOMENTS
3) Mega Man reveal.
When this game was first announced, one of my first thoughts was how third parties were going to be handled. I expected Sonic to come back, with a rich history with Nintendo and a WiiU exclusive on the way. Snake I expected to be cut, with no big connection to Nintendo save for remakes and two forgotten gems, one not even released in Japan (I was also not familiar with Metal Gear at the time, as I first played the MSX original some time after, and had thus become a supporter much, much later.) I sort of expected Pac-Man to the replacement, and at the time, the other big Nintendo-friendly third party had somehow slipped out of my time. So imagine my reaction when the Blue Bomber was revealed back in 2013, with all his custom movesets intact, an awesome remix of the Wily stage in the background as well. I was a happy man. I was.

2) Mega Man's Final Smash reveal. When people are asked what their favorite Mega Man sub-franchise is, few people say that the Star Force series is their favorite. I, however, belong in that minority. This is because I was introduced to Mega Man via Star Force, and thus I didn't have BN being this notalgia prick and prevent me from enjoying the game to the fullest. While I was perfectly fine with the original being the main form of representation, I also wanted a mention fo Star Force. It didn't have to be anything big, maybe a sticker, with a trophy being the best. Then April rolls around and Geo is in Mega Man's final smash, and I just **** my pants in joy. This just far exceeded my expectations, that I really only needed either Ray or Robin to fulfill all my need for this game. Speaking of...

1) Robin reveal & Death of Gematsu. I haven't known about Robin as long as other people might have, but I don't think I'm so far behind regarding the passion I have towards her. Ever since I fell in love with Robin and her game sometime in 2014, she has quickly rosen to be my 2nd favorite female in all gaming, and definately my number one pick for a Smash newcomer. I had fair hopes for the tactitian:with Awakening being the sucess that it was, a third character seemed well within reality and if it were to happen, a female (sometimes) swordsman that could also use magic and pretty much every other weapon would be far more appealing than "another blue-haired swordsman"(Not that I have anything against Chrom, just look at my signature) to Sakurai, who seemed intent on varing gameplay this installment more than ever. Ike, who looked like he was being replaced by Chrom had made it back in, giving me some more hope. Around July however, with Gematsu being the prick it was and its fanboys being the trolls they were, I was beggining to lose the hope I had and I was getting mildly bored with Sm4sh. And when July 14th came around, I immidiately assumed it was Shulk and left it there, probably due to Gematsu doing what it made it so infamous. So a minute before the reveal, I open my Yotube account and click on the livestream provided, expecting Shulk and nothing else, wondering what he can bring to the table. The video starts, and...oh my god.

Remember when I said that I hated when a leak is being shoved into your face as the truth, and it sucks because it usally is? After the reveal, though, all that had changed. We were the ones shoving truth into the Gematsu drones that day. It. Felt. Good.

That was the best day out of the entire Sm4sh timeline for me. My most wanted is revealed, that stupid annoying leak is put to rest, the community becomes much, much more pleasant. The scales have been tipped. It was a great day to be a Smash fan.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Most Deflating Moments

The Leaks.

Unlike many of my fellow Tacticians, I did not come to Smashboards until AFTER the reveal of Robin and Lucina. I in fact arrived here specifically looking for more people to talk to about the game because that trailer was so hype-inducing. So I avoided the worst reign of the Gematsu Leak. I did have some very nasty run-ins with certain members of the Shulk fan base. But other than that, Gematsu had crashed.

Instead, I was here for the endgame leaks. And now the Ryu/Roy leak. And I hate them with a passion.

Remember the Megaman reveal? Remember all the reaction videos that went up to people finally seeing him in Smash? Or the similar videos for Pac-Man, Robin, Palutena, or any of the other newcomers?

Which characters don't have those sorts of videos? Shulk. Bowser Jr. And, tomorrow, Ryu and Roy. The surprise is blown, the careful build up and execution that Nintendo plan is trashed. Granted, the Ryu and Roy reveal was Nintendo's own fault in putting up the patch early. But it still ruins what would otherwise be a fantastic moment for the fan base.

Most Inflating Moments

The Trailers.

I love the official presentation of basically every character. I watch the trailers as they came out, and I love every one. The unique styles that matched the properties, the love and attention to details... They were just great. Then came a special one:

This video. Even not being on Smashboards, I had heard enough of the leaks to hear that Shulk was expected to be coming. But AS SOON as that video started, I knew it wasn't Shulk. To someone who has played HUNDREDS of hours of Awakening, that visual style clicked immediately. It was Fire Emblem. I was hyped already.

Then came Lucina. I had been hopeful about her for a while. She had shown up on the Amiibo splash page, which made me hopeful. But I knew, I KNEW, if she ever got in, she would be a Marth clone. It only made sense. In Awakening, she shares her name, and her animations, with Marth. Chrom is a fellow Lord, but he has a different model and different attack animations. But Lucina shares hers with Marth's Lodestar class. She would HAVE to be a Marth clone.

Early on, I was actually hopeful that she might replace Marth. She has nearly taken his role in Japan. She is more popular over there than she is over here, and has been adopted practically as the face of the franchise. So when Marth was revealed, I felt it doomed Lucina's chances.

Having her open up was so hype inducing (especially with those fantastic graphics). Then, we get to Robin. Oh my gosh. Robin. Yes yes yes yes yes. Every time I see that trailer, it still makes me want to squee, even today. It showed off the perfect Fire Emblem character. Magic, item durability, varying attack types... It was just so perfect.

Finally, we had Chrom. A lot of Fire Emblem fans were upset at Chrom's treatment. I wasn't. I loved it. Chrom was basically the only character, in ANY of the trailers, to get a send-off from Sakurai. He shows up in the cinematic, and he even shows up again in the clearly tacked-on finale to let Sakurai put him in the game somewhere. It just showed how much Sakurai loved the franchise.

And, as with all the trailers, it captured the feel of the franchise SO PERFECTLY. That trailer was just so awesome, and I don't see how any Fire Emblem fan could disagree.

I just hope I can get a similar trailer for Isaac one day.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Most Inflatiing: MII FIGHTERS

This was a dream from Brawl came true for me. I was scouring the internet for Mii Fighters info in Brawl and desperately tried to unlock them. When E3 came around, I was psyched!

Most Deflating:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Most Hype Moment:
What more do I need to say? It came at a pivotal moment, crushed the Gematsu leak, and brought us not one, not two, but THREE awesome, hype worthy characters.
Not to mention, I didn't have to choose between supporting Robin or Lucina, because I got both.

Honorable Mentions:
Rosalina Reveal. I wasn't expecting her to get in, and I just happened to see her on the main website after she was revealed. So awesome.
Mega Man Reveal. Same with Rosalina, though I saw him through IGN rather than the official site.

Most Deflating Moment:

It still stings a little. :cry:
I supported him almost exclusively the day Smash 4 was announced, and didn't stop until this day. It didn't help that Ghirahim was disconfirmed as the ESRB leak was going strong.
Speaking of which.

Honorable Mentions:
ESRB Leak. In my opinion, Nintendo played all their best cards too soon. As such, the combination of a lacking secret character roster and this leak revealing them early made for a monumental disappointment.
-------

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Most deflating: no custom moves for DLC characters
Despite the fact they weren't exactly handled perfectly I loved the addition of custom moves in SSB4. Creating new fighters by changing their moves' properties in super fun! It allows more fun when playing Smash Run or Classic Mode, and it's awesome to discover new ways to play with existing characters. Speculating about how Mewtwo's custom moves would work like was also super fun!

I've stated multiple times in my posts about how upset and devastated I was when I figured that Mewtwo didn't have custom moves. It makes him objectively inferior to the rest of the cast and downright irrelevant when playing with customs on, and I was absolutely baffled at the very notion that they were seen as disposable enough to just ignore for DLC characters, especially after how they were showcased in promotional material. I just felt like I was directly insulted by Sakurai himself and I couldn't accept that. It baffled me so much I was very confident Mewtwo's custom moves would be added in the Lucas patch; putting them as a low priority thing planned to be released later made so much more sense in my mind than just ditching them. But it turned out that I actually was just naive to expect them to come in the new update, as neither Mewtwo or any of the newly introduced DLC characters had them. It made me seriously consider to stop caring altogether about all upcoming DLC characters and not buying anyone in the future unless it's Tetrimino. That's how devastating, cringe-worthy and hype deflating the lack of custom moves for DLC characters is for me. I sent several emails to Nintendo of Europe and America to tell them about how upset I was about Mewtwo not having custom moves, and when the new patch comes out I plan to send more to them and I won't hesitate this time to use the word "scam". I'm starting to somewhat get over it and I'll probably actually buy the new DLC characters in the update, but keeping in mind that they're going to be fully irrelevant in a major game mode I really like is very sad. All I want at this point is to see official words from Nintendo or Sakurai outside of the game itself to know the official reasons why they just didn't bother making them, because not making them is one thing, but keeping being silent about it is the worst thing they can do.

Second most deflating: no Mewtwo in the initial roster
For what I remember I don't think I missed Mewtwo that much in Brawl. I thought it was sad to not have him back when I unlocked his trophy in Brawl, but I don't think it really made me upset. But in the last few years before Smash 4's release I got interested in the sixth generation of Pokémon, not forgetting to learn about any new Pokémon and mechanic revealed. Mewtwo was put back in the spotlight in gen VI, and it reminded how much of a likable, awesome and influent Pokémon he was. As such, when I started to care about Smash 4, Mewtwo became my most wanted character not in Brawl, and it made me baffled in hindsight about how Mewtwo was cut from Melee to Brawl.

When the ESRB leak was confirmed to be true it made me so confident that Mewtwo was an absolute lock. Pokémon getting more characters than Mario wasn't a concern anymore, and Dr. Mario was the proof Sakurai actually cares about cut characters and is willing to give them another chance. The character selection screen looked too weirdly arranged to be final, and it was for me the near irrefutable proof there were more characters to discover. I remember I watched leaked footage of Smash 3DS on Twitch two days before the game's release, and all I wanted to discover was new hidden, non-leaked characters, and as such seeing challenger approaching screens with already leaked characters was boring to me. Then the final roster was revealed to be the same as the ESRB leak and I was so confused about Mewtwo missing the boat once again. I mean, there was no way in my book about him getting deemed as low priority once again after how much exposure he got in generation VI, and getting Dr. Mario back instead of him felt downright insulting. I remember I said once that Mewtwo coming back as DLC would feel like a scar in the roster... and with him lacking custom moves as a result I never had been more right. It makes me want even more that Mewtwo was a priority for the initial roster rather than a mere marketing tool to promote Smash DLC.

Third most deflating: Greninja's reveal
I remember watching the trailer after the Smash Direct, it made me think that Mewtwo was back. His body shape and tail, it wouldn't be anyone else. That blue charging thing... it looked like a weirdly animated Psycho Cut in my mind. I thought until the end that it was Mewtwo... but the character not being Mewtwo is not what shocked me. When I realized it was Greninja I couldn't believe it, I was absolutely shocked. I mean, who the heck saw him as a viable contender for Smash? I liked Greninja as a Pokémon, but there was no way I would ever consider him as a playable character in Smash Bros., so it created a reaction in my mind similar to how I would react to say, a generic and weak Goomba from the Mario universe being the final boss of a Legend of Zelda game. It just seemed like they took a random Pokémon from the most recent generation for the sake of MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!! I quickly got over it and I've grown to like Greninja as a fighter in SSB4 over time (I even bought his amiibo recently), but at the same time I can't help but think that his inclusion in the first place screams MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!! and questionable roster philosophy.

-----

Most hyping: more Rayman series trophies beyond Rayman himself
I remember a few days before Smash Wii U's release watching a video showcasing various trophies from the Wii U version. I was curious to see more trophies, what was on the Wii U version and not in the 3DS, reading their description (Kingklang's trophy's description is a masterpiece lol)... I saw that Rayman trophy which is awesome considering how the Rayman series is important to my childhood but we already known about it, but before I had the time to pause to read his description I saw that Globox trophy and I almost had a heart attack. I remembered how hyped I was about the possibility of Rayman promoting to a trophy cameo to a playable character, but seeing the series getting more representation than a single trophy made me realize that it's not just a mere cameo and really made me optimistic about Rayman's chances as DLC. Though in all honesty I then slowly lost optimism about his chances and I don't really believe in him having a good shot anymore (see my "most overrated" post from yesterday) but the idea that my childhood favourite game series would be properly gathered in one game felt amazing to me.

Second most hyping: Robin's reveal
I remember in early 2014 after I started to care about Smash 4, I've seen a lot of speculation about Chrom from the latest Fire Emblem being seen as a strong contender, but after playing Awakening the idea of him being playable in Smash Bros. really bored me. When playing I thought Robin would be a better choice; maybe he's not the central character, but he felt enough like a protagonist and standing-out character to me to feel like a justifiable and non-random choice over Chrom in Super Smash Bros. The creativity his magic abilities allowed for a Smash moveset really interested me, but with everyone talking about Chrom I felt so lonely lol. Though that was until I saw he got a support thread in Smashboards, and I was reassured to know I wasn't the only one who thought about him being a valid contender. Even with the Gematsu debacle I kinda thought Robin had a serious shot, and being proven right in his reveal trailer felt so satisfying.

Third most hyping: the April 2015 Direct
I was really impatient to learn more about Mewtwo and see actual gameplay footage, and knowing he was going to be showcased made me anticipate this Direct so much. Plus Mewtwo is the first thing they show in the Direct, yes! Though I didn't care much about the Lucas reveal, it proven me wrong about him being unlikely to come back and I used to be fine with him missing in action, but I least it made me feel happy for his fans. But the combination of the official Smash Ballot and the reveal of Donkey Kong 64 in VC made me very optimistic about a character I supported but used to see as an unlikely choice: King K. Rool. I've always wanted him as a character since I unlocked everyone in Brawl, though he only started to be a high priority character for me when I managed to imagine how he could play like, mostly thanks to the amazingly well written OP from his support thread. Unfortunately I saw him as an unlikely choice at the time because the of the sacred rule known as MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!! I started to become a little less pessimistic with the Donkey Kong Country games being released on the Wii U VC in America, meaning everyone can now easily enjoy the games he's featured in, but with Donkey Kong 64 which is yet another classic featuring him added in the Wii U VC and the Smash Ballot I really felt like his chances had skyrocketed from somewhat unlikely to top tier. I'm aware of K. Rool's sheer popularity among the Smash fanbase and I really felt like the Ballot was the perfect opportunity for it to have an actual impact on his chances.

Short version: Mewtwo footage and King K. Rool's chances looking like they've skyrocketed really made my day.

Last edited:
Most deflating: Gematsu Leak
Because only newcomer I actually had wanted was Mega Man. I though the characters mentioned in the leaked were the only ones were going to get.
Second most deflating: No Wolf, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley or Bandana Dee in ESRB leak
Three of those were my most wanted newcomers for Smash, while two were veterans that really should have been in SSB4.
Third most deflating: Ridley confirmed as stage hazard
Ridley was one of my most wanted characters and it was a letdown to discover he was a boss after all that speculation about how he was teased to be playable.

Most hyping: First Smash Direct
Return of Yoshi and Charizard and reveal of Greninja made me extremely hyped for the game.
Second most hyping: E3 2013 trailer
The game was shown first time. Also Bowser's new look.
Third most hyping: Smash Ballot and more DLC
Because the ballot makes K. Rool (my most wanted newcomer) more likely than ever while also making Bandana Dee more likely. Also, Lucas confirmed for DLC made me optismic about Wolf's chances to return.

Honorable mention: Death of Gematsu Leak

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Most Hype-Deflating:
3. Ridley is a stage boss!!! - Why yes, I am a Ridley supporter, what could've possibly tipped you off? I kind of saw it coming but it was a letdown regardless. He's a stage boss, and closer to a playable character than he's ever been, but his model and texture are shoddy and his jaw isn't bloody supposed to move like that. Also, that isn't how Meta Ridley works.
At least they gave him his concept art colouration.

2. Gematsu - Partially because I got tired of hearing the same names over. And over. And over. And over. Combined with the fact that people kept praising it as The Truth, and the frightening prospect that the Gematsu Three could be the final remaining characters. Yikes.

1. The final leak - It gave me kind of a hollow feeling afterwards. What, that's it? That's all the remaining characters? Damn.

Most Hype-Inflating:
3. Gematsu was a poopshoot - Hello Robin, goobye Gematsu leak, hello blissful uncertainty and rampant speculation. I feel bad for the people who really wanted Chrom and the Chorus Kids, but the Robin reveal still made me very hopeful for what the future had to bring.

2. Smash Ballot - Extra characters for DLC? And we get to have a say in what characters will be added? This came as a very, very pleasant surprise. No chances for Ridley, alas, unless Sakurai changes his mind. He's done that before anyway.

1. Mega Man - God damn Mega Man.

Honorable mention to BaganSmashBros's Ridley mod.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
It's nice to see Tetra finally getting some decent recognition around here. ;)

Most Hype Inflating
The Smash 4 Direct of April, 2014
I was up late the night that the site was updated with the announcement of this Smash exclusive Direct. I was refreshing the page as I awaited the Pic of the Day, and along with it came the information of this Direct and when it would take place. I immediately got excited and couldn't sleep for over an hour afterwards even though I was hoping to go to bed after I saw the Pic. As a matter of fact, I'm getting a pretty similar feeling this very night. I remember having a pretty bad day when I had to wake up only a couple hours after finally getting to sleep, but the thought of the Direct announcement kept me feeling good throughout it.

Most Hype Deflating
Despite really enjoying the Direct, ironically enough my most deflating moment came from a bit of information within that very Direct. The info being that character transformations were going to be a cut mechanic. This meant that it was impossible for my two most wanted characters to get in with a transformation gimmick. I was a bit disappointed, but I didn't let it bother me too much. I continued, and still do, to support one or the other making the roster, and I would be just as happy to see either character as a DLC newcomer.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let's get down to business.

MOST HYPE MOMENTS:
  • MEGA MAN JOINS THE BATTLE
Was there any doubt that the cinematics of the trailer wouldn't hype someone up? Seriously, the whole thing was a spectacle and the way the trailer sent chills down my spine will something I'll never forget. It was pure bliss.​
  • BY BOOK, BLADE AND CREST OF FLAME
Indeed. The way those three minutes completely tore apart months of speculation is stuff of the legends, along with giving a double newcomer reveal and some amazing Capt. Falcon action. YES!, as Capt. Falcon would put it.​
  • THE ESRB LEAK
Surprised? Seriously, while most of the speculation scene was crying over the leak because of their favourite characters were not in, I was squealing over Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt Dog. I love the Mario series to death and the fact that Dr. Mario was back unchanged and Bowser Jr. had all the Koopalings tagging along was a sweet, sweet surprise.

MOST DEFLATING MOMENTS:
  • GEMATSU
But of course. This 'leak' was single-handedly the reason I had almost given up on speculation, with all the gloom and doom everywhere. There were even people claiming that Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men were the only newcomers left to be shown. How ridiculously wrong they were.​
  • THE ESRB LEAK
You must be wondering how the same event could be present in both lists. Well, let me be frank. The ERSB Leak completely tore me - on one hand it had the characters I had secretly wanted for so long, but it also showed the glaring omissions the roster had - No ICs, Wolf, K. Rool, Mewtwo, etc, while seeing Dark Pit, a character barely anyone asked for. It didn't help that the mood around the boards was extremely toxic, and I had completely given up on speculation until the Smash Ballot was announced.​
  • GRENINJA'S TRAILER
Let me make this clear - I do not hate Greninja, or even dislike him, for that matter. However, the way the trailer was presented was obviously done to tease Mewtwo, and that didn't sit well with me. I was less upset and more annoyed, to be exact.
To be honest, I had to think really hard for the deflating moments, as I don't take speculation so seriously as to get legitimately upset over anything.

EDIT: I have to say, those Robin stories were really inspiring, @ Delzethin Delzethin and @ False Sense False Sense . Wow, I wish could write like that.

:231:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Most Hype Inflating Moments:

The Robin/Lucina Trailer:

This was less over my excitement for the characters and more focused on an entirely different matter: Lucina does not interest me very much, and while Robin is extremely enjoyable for me to play and an interesting character in terms of his playstyle....I completely lack experience in Fire Emblem and as you'd expect, I didn't strongly support any characters from any games of the series, lacking an attachment or connection to any of them. However, the trailer, not only being freaking awesome (especially with Captain Falcon not only taking a huge part in it, but also being a returning veteran who got revealed in the same trailer as two newcomers) was what crushed the Gemastu leak, something that caused Hell on these very boards and the Smash speculation scene as a whole. Of course, the leak was not yet completely dead, which I was fine with, but it certainly turned the tables for people who started to accept, as well as enforce it, as being an undeniably true fact. I'd say more, but there are others here who have already described what occurred and my own personals thoughts about the matter perfectly. I don't think I can add anything more to it that hasn't already been said.

Toon Link's Reveal:

This one was another big one for me. I absolutely adore the Wind Waker (it's my favorite video game of all time, in fact) and I love Toon Link as well, being my favorite of the numerous Links to appear throughout the Zelda series and one of my favorite characters to play in Brawl. I was somewhat worried when Toon Link appeared on the Spirit Train during the first trailer for Smash 4....but what made things truly worse for me is that people quickly began to believe that this meant Toon Link had no chance to return and that his role was reduced to a mere stage cameo. People weren't quite as harsh and enforcing about the possibility of Toon Link not returning as many were with Gemastu, but all the arguing and debates left me with a sense of fear that he wouldn't return. I had my belief, I knew that the two Toon Links were separate characteres and could easily coexist, but with all the negativity and debating, I was still left worrying for a long time and what would happen if he turned out to have been cut after all, especially when it was one of my favorite characters, and one of the very few in Smash that I have any personal attachment to. Wind Waker had taken up many sections of my childhood memories, I didn't want to lose the one character I truly had an attachment to.

Hoo boy, I still remember waiting up all night just to see the Miiverse pictures of the day. At times they led to totally random and meaningless pictures that anyone could take on a whim out of boredom, and were just wastes of time, something that made me go to bed frustrated and disappointed (or just remain frustrated while trying to fall asleep anyway) but staying up that one night was all worth it. The night that Toon Link got revealed, seeing that big smile with those familiar cartoonish cat-eyes on the face of a young boy clad in green, I don't think I could even properly describe how happy and excited I was when his reveal picture popped up. Nothing had made me happier in the Sm4sh scene since the reveal trailer of the game itself.

Most Hype Deflating Moment:

The Mii's reveal:

If anyone remembers my several rants about Miis in the past RTC thread, you should already know that I do not like the Miis's presence as fighters in this game. That said, I actually really love the Miis outside of Smash , they've been an awesome little creation of Nintend's since the Wii came along, loved em' for a long time. But the problem I have with them being in Smash, is, well.....they're just boring.

I normally like the Miis because I can design them to look like myself, or any character or existing person I want. That's why I like playing as them in other games, as a representation of myself or a character, in a game like Mario Kart Wii or the numerous Wii Sports games and their spin-offs, because all the character essentially have the same capabilities as one and other and the Miis are just the customizable members of the cast. But in Smash, what I want in new characters, is to bring something fresh and fun with them. Something I can enjoy playing as that I can't get from any other character. The Miis aren't that, they merely take bland and unoriginal playstyles and equipment to aid themselves in combat. The things they have are things you can already get from a lot of other characters, like Link, Samus, etc, only they have much more to them than just typical sword and blaster-themes. The Miis haven't provided anything fun and new gameplay-wise in Smash to me, they're just there so you can play as yourself. But with a boring set of abilities provided.

With all the games that the Miis appear in, I'd like to think that they actually could've brought a lot to the table, they could've been your means of playing as whoever you want while at the same time, providing something new and fresh, something we truly haven't seen in Smash before. The only thing new they brought to Smash was visual customization, and for me that just wasn't enough. I feel like Sakurai and the developers didn't even bother trying to towards the games the Miis have starred in and promoted, they just looked at the Miis and decided that Smash was one of the games that needed these personas, and just gave them a bunch of average abilities to make them somewhat varied and work as fighter-characters. For me, the visual-customization of Miis in this game, just isn't enough.

I was really frustrated when they were first revealed, though less so when I found out they couldn't be used in Online With Anyone. Another thing I was worried about with Miis is that, in a Nintendo Crossover, I wanted to see actual Nintendo characters. Yes, the Miis are Nintendo characters, that's a fact that cannot be denied. But they're also customizable. Sure, I'd totally enjoy playing as myself or say, a Mii that looks like Jack Skellington when playing with some friends for fun, but I was fearful that I would see horde after horde of celebrity Miis or face-art of....unpleasant, things while looking for online matches. Thankfully, such things were entirely prevented from happening.

Mix of both:

Greninja's reveal:

I LOVE GRENINJA

I didn't think it had a chance in all of Hell until it's reveal trailer though. The only other Pokemon that I thought would be getting in at the point where we reached Greninja's trailer, was a formerly cut veteran in the form of Mewtwo. But no, we were caught off guard with something I don't think ANY of us expected or could've possibly predicted for good reason. The trailer left me both shocked and excited, overall I was just pumped.

I had some problems with it though....I was among those who mistook Greninja for Mewtwo very easily during that trailer, even shouting "MEWTWO" from the top of my lungs as the trailer went on. The aftermath left me worried over Mewtwo's fate for a while, and in short time I convinced myself that he would not be returning (but I still turned out to be wrong later on :seuss:) and my other problem was that it started out with a Charizard reveal....all by himself. Now being separated from Pokemon trainer was satisfying for me, but I was also very upset with there being no signs of Squirtle of Ivysaur. I especially loved playing Ivysaur. PT was one of my favorite characters in Brawl, I really had wanted all of three of them to return....

Nonetheless, I dealt with it fairly quickly. I was still super happy about Greninja more than anything else.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hype up, hype down.

Most hype inflating moment - The announcement of the Smash Ballot
The character you were hoping for wasn't announced for Smash? That's no problem, just make sure you give them as much support as you can, and you can quite possibly see them make it. Seriously, this announcement shined as a ray of hope for anyone who still wanted more characters, quite specific characters actually, and had the determination to show their support for Smash 4.

Most hype deflating moment - Any leak that there has ever been
Revealing content is Sakurai's job. He and his team go through the work to create this content and reveal it to us personally, either by direct, E3, or (really not possible now I suppose) at a random concert. But, of course, data mines have their role too, and they in a sense, steal Sakurai's show. Now I have to wonder, what is Sakurai going to do for this upcoming direct? How will he keep the hype alive after someone stole it from him? Sakurai's got a challenge this time. It was so close too...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Let me give you some talk here.

Hype Deflating
We can give Gemastu so much hell because the hell it gave us. We can't discuss anything character wise without mention 'Gemastu this, Chrous Kids/Chrom that'. It was annoying, especially considering the character I was supporting, everyone was sick of it and when :4falcon: punched Chrom in the face and :4robinm:walked all over his dreams. It was a perfect sendoff

image.jpg

And second is leaks because nobody likes to be spoiled.

Hype Inflating Moment
Robin's trailer wasn't as hype as I'm about to tell you

Being a little kid who found out about emulators around 2000-2001, I went into a world I never knew I would love but the first game I've played was Super Punch Out on the SNES emulator.

While I sucked hard at it, it was a fun game that I've enjoyed and then come 2008, I was finally strong and tough enough to beat it (via SNES VC). Come 2009 and Punch Out Wii was announced and I got super hyped over it and played it to my hearts content and I loved watching the speed runs of the game as well

February 14, 2014 (yep, still remember the exact date)

I like to say that this was forever my number 1, even during the Brawl days. I've pushed him hard for this next game because I knew Sakurai wouldn't ignore a character this hype for the west and has a franchise this loveable here (It's pretty much FE West).

So imagine my face when the trailer hit
image.jpg

Yep, Morgan perfectly describes that exact moment

All the way until the end I was screaming with glee and pure bliss. No other character could ever bring out on me AGAIN. No character to what hype Mac brought and none ever will

[/spoiler]Ryu could had done it if he wasn't spoiled by the first data mine[/spoiler]

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

I'll be brief on this.
Most Inflating Moments
3. DLC / Mewtwo: Let me reenact my reaction in October:
"Time for a special announcement!"
*feet are shown*
Oh. Duck Hunt? No surprise here.
*more is shown where it's clearly not Duck Hunt*
Huh? Uhh... OK? Who is it?
*upper body and head is shown*
OK. Tell me who it is.
*Mewtwo*
Mewtwo?! But he's a trophy...
"Mewtwo is on the way"
MEWTWO!!! OH MY GOD! MEWTWO! HE'S BACK!!!!

I was HYPED for Mewtwo's return! I wanted him to be back for god knows how long and now here he is! It also got me hyped for DLC! Could Wolf come back? What exciting newcomers will we get?
Spring couldn't come any slower.

2. Robin: At a time where there was an undeniable truth, a truth that I was extremely mixed on, I dreaded the day Chrom would get revealed. I didn't want it to happen at all because I didn't like Chrom at all... even when I played Awakening, I hated him. The problem with Chrom is that he wouldn't be unique and Awakening didn't help either... and it made me sad because I love Awakening. I thought Robin was a neater idea, but I didn't like him as a character really initially. However, over time, Robin grew on me as a character and he slowly ascended as one of my favorite video game characters. The night before his confirmation, I went to his support thread and decided to lend my support, even though I was sure that Shulk or Chrom would get revealed. And then... I was wrong. The trailer in it of itself was hype! I was disgusted by the sight that Lucina was going to be our Awakening character... a clone and a character that I didn't care for? Meh. Captain Falcon? Awesome! ...When can I recruit him? Then Falcon was going to own Lucina and then out comes Robin. He assures that everything will be all right and he says his signature line, which made me smile. His gimmick was pretty damn unique and what I was asking for really. In fact, dare I say that Robin is the best designed newcomer? Robin got me hyped because he is a character that I've grown to love and he represented a game that I loved.

1. Shulk: Those who knew me during speculation knew how much I wanted Shulk. I pushed for his inclusion, made extremely long posts with evidence and made reasons to back up my evidence, and so on. Xenoblade Chronicles to me isn't a game; it's an experience, one that you should play. By the end, it will honestly ask you life changing questions... questions that are still with me to this very day. It's a game that has honestly changed me as a person and I view it as one of the most important games of my life for this reason. Shulk, as a character, is one that I loved; he's my second favorite video game character, only behind Luigi. I wanted him in Smash because he would be unique, is a character that I loved, would represent a game that I loved, and would bring a lot of awesome content to Smash (like a cool stage and awesome music like You Will Know Our Names). While I wasn't as hyped as I hoped I would be thanks to various leaks, the day Shulk got confirmed was one that got me incredibly excited. I love the trailer and how it plays out... it always sends chills down my spine. Shulk, this character that I've wanted for a very long time, is now fighting other Nintendo All-Stars and video game legends like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and now Ryu! This inclusion meant a lot to me and he's one of my favorite characters in Smash. Unfortunately, competitively, he's not for me... I tried but I can't get into him on a competitive level. Otherwise, I love playing as Shulk and his inclusion is just absolutely incredible.

An honorable mention goes to Luigi actually being good in Smash, because I have been waiting for the day where Luigi was actually competent in Smash. I would still main him regardless, but I like that he has some recognition... just minus the negative reception.

Most Deflating Moments
I have 2.
2. Custom Moves: I hate custom moves with a passion. These always deflate me when I play the game, especially competitively. I think these things alter match ups unfairly at times and the process of getting them is a pain. As a result, I'm pretty salty about custom moves in general and I hope for the day that certain ones get banned (if not, ban these entirely).

1. Amiibo: I hate these damn things. When I heard there was a leak, I didn't want it to be true... then they got confirmed and they were what I feared... Nintendo was joining the Skylanders craze. I didn't want a part of it... but I managed to. It started when Wave 3 showed that Shulk was going to get one... he was going to be an exclusive and was going to be rare. I had to get him... and I was lucky to get a preorder. I got several other amiibo, like Luigi, Kirby, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and Mario. Then came the dreaded day when Wave 4 Amiibos were going up. I wanted to get Robin so bad... I went to my GameStop... waited for an hour... and came out with no Robin preorder... I was angry, frustrated even. I tried to get him on Amazon... same thing happened. I then bought one for $40... it angered me. These $13 plastic things shouldn't be expensive and Nintendo's handling of them is driving me nuts. It honestly discouraged me from pursuing these damn things in the future. I'm sorry, I'm still salty about all of this...

EDIT: A dishonorable mention goes to Dark Pit. Even as a clone, I find the character to be unnecessary to the Smash roster and he just adds more Kid Icarus content when other franchises lack fair representation, such as Donkey Kong, Metroid, and current Kirby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Most Deflating Moments

Custom Moves: I hate custom moves with a passion. These always deflate me when I play the game, especially competitively. I think these things alter match ups unfairly at times and the process of getting them is a pain. As a result, I'm pretty salty about custom moves in general and I hope for the day that certain ones get banned (if not, ban these entirely).
You are not alone.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Most Hype Delfating Moments

1. The ESRB Leak
When I saw this, I hoped that it was either fake or not the final roster. The only things about it that I liked were Dark Pit and Bowser Jr. I was really hoping that Lucas and Wolf weren't actually cut, that Bandana Dee was in, and just that the roster was different. Plus, it completely spoiled everything and made unlocking the characters not as fun as past Smash Bros.

2. Roy and Ryu leaks
Ugh. These are such lame additions, mostly Roy. While I've mostly gotten over Ryu, Roy I just can't accept. Another Marth clone, and now Fire Emblem has the same number of characters as Zelda. Just no.

3. Shadow, Magnus and Ghiraham as Assist Trophies
These were three characters I really wanted, especially Shadow. I though that Sonic being a veteran now could allow that series a second character, and Shadow is one of my favorite video game character of all time. I just really wanted him.

Most Hype Inflating Moments

1. Greninja Makes a Splash
This was my most wanted newcomer ever since i played X. I was probably one of the only ones who didn't think it was Mewtwo in that trailer. As soon as I saw that Water Shuriken, I gasped and got so excited. Then, when I saw this

I was more happy than I've ever been in terms of Smash.

2. Lucas Comes out of Nowhere
I came into that April direct not expecting anything besides Mewtwo. I saw Mewtwo and was like "Ok. Same as Melee. Cool." Then there were the Mii costumes and I was like "Oh hey. Link and Mega Man stuff. I like it." Then, there was the slash and the fire and I was like "OH! Come on, Bandana Dee or Lucas please!" The Mother 3 Love Theme was playing and Ness was getting rekt. I was so anticipating Lucas at that time. Bowser ran at Ness and then I heard it. "PK Fire!" Not gonna lie, I legit almost cried when I saw Lucas was back. I missed him so much from Brawl, and I was way too glad he was back.

3. Toon Link and Sonic reveals
These two were my most used characters from Brawl, and I was worried that neither of them were retuening because of Spirit Train and Sonic being third party. I kept having faith though. Then at the end of October and the start of November my mains were back and it was greatness.

Honorable Mentions
Ridley Deconfirmation
I kept saying ever since the 2014 April Smash direct that he was deconfirmed. But people didn't listen. So when he was officially deconfirmed during the 50 fact extravaganza, I could finally be happy that the Ridley fans would shut up. Then. DLC came, and even though Sakurai explained why he isn't playable, people just won't give up.

Custom Moves adn Equipment
This opened up so many possibilities for more uniqueness. They may be tedious to unlock, but they're awesome and I love them

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Deflating moments of Hype:

1) Confirmation of the Zelda / Sheik split up, but Sheik staying as a separate character. Aka, the Phantom Fiasco.

People who know me, know about how passionate I was for Impa during the speculation pre-release. This arguement of Impa vs Sheik would do on for pages and ages. Almost as heated as the orginal Fire Emblem debates, but unlike Fire Emblem, this wasn't a full out brawl of everyone being on random sites. No this was more me and occasionally a few others argueing against the masses.

It got worse with one of Sakurai's updates before he went on a break ; the Zelda / Phantom Fiasco.

With nothing to go by but this picture, many thought that the Phantom was just a Assist Trophy. And thus that Zelda was still to be linked with Sheik with Transform. I argued it was obviously a new Down B, and people should start to wave Sheik good bye cause this was now the Era of Impa.

Fast forward to the April Direct of last year, with the confirmation of :4yoshi::4charizard::4greninja::4zss::4sheik: and we all know how this turned out... I was right about the Phantom, but wrong about Sheik. This still really sucks I think, but I can live with it.

2) Leaks. And them turning out to be true.

Man, worst moment ever. I literally disliked anything Gematsu predicted. Literally, I got no single newcomer that excited me. Yeah, quite terrible.

3) Can't think of anything else to fit here.

Most Hype inflating moments:

1) :4mewtwo: as DLC / The opening of the Ballot

Mewtwo was a character I wanted to return to Smash badly. I wanted him back almost as much as I wanted newcomers as King K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong and Impa. So yeah, him returning was great news.

The Ballot ties with Mewtwo as it finally seemed to me that Sakurai listened to the fans and wanted to please us by giving us DLC of our most wanted characters. This might basically mean that King K.Rool, my most wanted character since Diddy's reveal in Brawl, might finally make it in. If K.Rool is the eventual winner, consider the Ballot as #1.

2) Kremlings showing up in Smash Run

Yeah this might seem kind of random, but this was huge news for us at the K.Rool thread back in the day. It gave us hope.

3) Random Veteran Reveals

:4diddy::4myfriends::4tlink: specifically

:4diddy:- Favorite character ever, like that wasn't clear enough
:4myfriends::4tlink: - Was really scared these two would be cut, therefore I cherish them even more than I did in Brawl

hype
1. Robin/lucina reveal
at the time these were my 2 most wanted. add the fact it seemed like shulk was going to be the reveal the surprise made it better. especially because i had just learned monado purge and though elwind was that move.

2. yesterday
ryu and roy couldnt look much better

3. mewtwo and lucas
I just cant seperate them. they were both so sudden and so amazing. DLC being a thing saved speculation.

deflating
1. Ridley
speculation isnt fun when people insult you for wanting a video game character. Ive seen some horrible **** people say over this and honestly it was absurd. Sakurai saying what he did didnt help.

2. gematsu
esrb was hype for me but this wasnt. Nearly everyone in gematsuy I wanted but Chrom and chorus kids (how things change) but I assumed that was the full roster and i wasnt satisfied. thank goodness it was outdated

I dont have a 3 because of how hype smash is.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
OK, told myself I wasn't going to get hyped, but I did.

Still not completely what I wanted, but they did have one nice surprise in there.

HYRULE CASTLE IS INBOUND EVENTUALLY!!!!!

Hope we get to hear more about the next set of planned character(s), but I don't know if we'll hear anything at E3

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hyrule Castle Castle confirmed!
OK, told myself I wasn't going to get hyped, but I did.

Still not completely what I wanted, but they did have one nice surprise in there.

HYRULE CASTLE IS INBOUND EVENTUALLY!!!!!

Hope we get to hear more about the next set of planned character(s), but I don't know if we'll hear anything at E3
This probably would've been a lot more hype if it weren't for yesterday's leak seeing as we basically knew about EVERYTHING in advance....but the return of some of the 64 stages were definitely pretty exciting...can't wait for Hyrule Castle's Return!!!

Edit: I think the internet just broke....

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So Roy and Ryu just got formerly revealed in the Smash presentation. I'm going to change the top 10 chances chart, and edit this post as a result.

Edit: here come a new top 10 of chances! Ryu and Roy being officially confirmed means they no longer have to be in, leaving enough space for Rayman and Snake. Coincidentally, both were considered to be among the most overrated characters... maybe we should start nominating them for a rerate?

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Most Hyping Moments:

3. April 2014 Direct
Really, just a generally hyping moment. Yoshi returns!! Greninja!! Color TV Game 15!!

...No? That's just me?

2. 1st Trailer of E3 2013
:4villager::4villagerf: confirmed, all dreams come true.

1. April 1, 2015 Direct
:4lucas:My child, my glorious Brawl main, returns

Most Deflating Moments:

3. The Ridley Tease Hullaballoo
Quite possibly some of the most turbulent months ever for Smash Bros.

2. Assist Trophy Massacre
Meowth, Samurai Goroh, Dark Samus, and Lyn disconfirmed within minutes of each other.:urg:

1. Gematsu and its Carnage
I almost lost Lucas... luckily Robin and Captain Falcon saved the day.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Most Hype Moment
3. Sonic is confirmed
My fav. character in Brawl gotta bring him back
2. Lucina and Robin confirmed
1. Roy is BACK BABY!
Most deflating Moment
3. Charz is confirimed
Really?
2. Giriham deconfirmed
Why?!?! Just WHY Daddy Sakurai
1. Shadow is an Assist Trophy AGAIN!
Little Mac got bumped why is Shadow left behind? AND Now he can't be DLC great, just great
Nominations:
TalimX5(SoulCalibur)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay, some stuff.
  • the #1 concept in chance, DLC stages is finally confirmed. It had a whopping 96% want, so you people must be glad.
  • The concept 'Full Ken alt for Ryu' was disconfirmed, and will be removed from the nominations, I think.
  • The concept 'Roy has Awakening attire as default' is partly confirmed, given his design is a hybrid.
  • The concept 'Roy is a Marth or Lucina alt and not a unique character' is also disconfirmed.
:231:

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Welp, I've had a lot of hype Inflating moments and a lot of hype deflating moments, but I've narrowed it down to a few.

Hype Deflating
No doubt about it, the Gematsu leak. Gematsu's reign of terror was the worst part of speculation. I admit, I was mostly disbelieving it because I wanted K. Rool, but I honestly despised how you couldn't speculate anything without "Gematsu this, Gematsu that." It was really bad. My hype for Smash was just gone, replaced by an empty void of boredom as I looked at everyone worshipping Gematsu. Gematsu made me really hate those three singing marshmallows that had stolen away Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and all of the other characters that I thought wouldn't make it (Yes, I am aware, some of them didn't make it, even with only parts of Gematsu true). Next time a Smash Game comes out, I hope there just isn't any leaks. The ESRB leak was also pretty bad and hype deflating, but it didn't dominate most of the speculation period like Gematsu.

Hype Inflating

I have two extremely hyping moments.

First, February 14, 2014. That day, Little Mac was revealed. Little Mac was one of my most wanted characters, and when I saw him in that trailer, I literally jumped up and started screaming and running around (my brothers had no clue what I was doing). It was great. it also helped that Lemmy Koopa was revealed for Mario Kart 8 that day.

Second, July 14, 2014. The day after my birthday. That day was so amazing. I was ready to see Shulk, and was getting dejected because I knew it would just be more evidence that Gematsu was real, when Robin and Lucina showed up. I had owned Fire Emblem Awakening for about a year, I believe, but (I was horrible at it) never beat the level in Arena Ferox. But after that super hyping moment with Gematsu seeming much less likely, I dusted off Awakening and started playing it. I wasn't necessarily hyped at that exact moment that I picked up my 3DS to play Awakening, but soon I realized, if Robin and Lucina hadn't been revealed, I might've never played Awakening again, and that would've been horrible. Awakening (and by some extent, Robin and Lucina) made that summer pure bliss. I loved every second of Awakening, and it wouldn't have happened if that day didn't exist.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So now that I've downloaded the pack, I'll admit I'm much more hyped than I was before. The three characters look great, and seem really fun to play. Notable is that fact that Roy did get a bit of the Ganondorf treatment, and does not look like just a red-haired Marth anymore. I may actually enjoy him. (But now we have another Fire Emblem amiibo that'll be impossible to get...

Also fun to note that our debates are over with "Roy being in the game." The announcer says Roy for both, but it's two different recordings. Best way to do it, in my opinion.

I'm not home right now, so I haven't played on the WiiU yet, but I've enjoyed my 3DS version on the road. Here's a few more things that got me really excited:

I'm incredibly hyped now that there's the 'second page' arrow on the stage select screen now. Two stages on the second page looks so empty, so I guess they'll have to make a few more to fill that up...

And now that the next three characters are in, the Character Select is full...guess eventually we'll get a second page there, since I can't really see the ballot being for naught.

I'm hyped up so much right now! Hope we get Wolf, K.Rool, or Squirtle or Ridley plzplzplzplzplz coming soon!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Nothing is ever black and white. Everything is tinged in grey.

Yeah, I think I'm going to mix this up a bit. Smash 4 has been the staunchest video game I've followed from speculation into the future. I have invested so much of my life into this game that my dedication has even contributed indirectly to debilitating episodes of self-recrimination and depression. Nothing can quite match the hype that comes with every successive Smash Bros. with all the news and content we've got. Naturally, I'll take each of these and give a run-down on what I liked and didn't like about them.

Captain Hotcake's TOP 5 MEMORABLE SUPER SMASH BROS. 4 MOMENTS

5: Mewtwo is On The Way & Into the Age of DLC

Approaching the release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, it seemed as if we'd soon be encapsulated with all the new content the game SSB4 would offer. Along with the release of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, speculation was beginning to die down and focus on the metagame and the competitive scene bolstered up. Yet dwindling in this influx of information and reestablishment, was a scant hope that seemed but a mere percentage of chance to the Smash speculation community.

Oddly, at this point, details remained sparse on the Wii U version until the 50 Facts Extravaganza happened. Towards the end of the presentation, we see the slow pan-up around a mysterious new model. After a few seconds, we realize that it's Mewtwo! One of "The Big 3" who disappointing many from being excluded from the vanilla roster and making his long-awaited return from Melee.

With a new character on the way, this confirmed that DLC was coming! And what better way to kick it off than with a character as hypeworthy as Mewtwo? The possibilities were open wide after this announcement, with new characters, stages, modes, and much more to look forward to. It's a healthy sign that this Smash Bros. will perhaps have longevity for new content at least for a few years.

I remember the morning when we got Mewtwo. Disregarding my sleep schedule for school, I wake up at 6 AM, browsing Smashboards and Miiverse like crazy to see Mewtwo's presence gradually be reaffirmed. With my Wii U code going on the fritz for several hours, I got Mewtwo to get on my 3DS version. Played my first match with him against Lucario on Luminose City. Feel the throes of Melee nostalgia surge through me as I control him. It was a great welcome back for the Psychic Pokémon from Melee. And perhaps the only character out of Melee we needed.

Along with this, speculation was extended indefinitely. It felt like the pre-release period all over again. This also gives us a chance to state our opinions and hopes for the rest of the DLC. Personally, as soon as we got Lucas and with the now-confirmed Roy and Ryu, I looked to Mewtwo's individual release. With Lucas being announced alone, memories of buying characters by themselves in other fighting games came back to me. Now because this was dependent on if I liked the character they were selling, the full roster won't be accessible anymore. Hopefully, with today's new details, my concerns will be alleviated when we see these new characters get bundled together. But until then, I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic.

4: E3 2013 Initial Reveals

E3 2013 will forever be remembered as the one that kicked these three years of Smash off! Since E3 2011, we've known that a Wii U and 3DS Smash were on the way. But here is where they finally throw us a bone!

Waiting through the Digital Event, we feverishly watched through the announcements for our promised Smash trailer to come on. Towards the Digital Event's conclusion, Satoru Iwata leads us on with those anticipatory words, "We have one more trailer for you. Please, take a look."

Fwsshng! Fwwwwph! The Smash crest swipes across the screen. We see the scene of an Animal Crossing village, throwing us off until we go into the reel of all our familiar veteran fighters. Mario, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, DK, Pikachu, and even Pit welcome us back. Even Bowser shows up after a time! There's already too much juicy details to take in! The new stages. The polished, sharp graphical styles. The new character moves and design updates.

We go to a scene of Mario and Bowser fighting in an unfamiliar, yet conspicuous boxing ring. We switch back to a CG-rendered cutscene, where the Villager nets Mario, establishing his presence from earlier! Our first newcomer coming straight from one of my favorite game series for a long time! I instantly become attached to the character.

The character art scrolls by one last time before we get to the official logos: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. We're given the 2014 release window, and it all can't come soon enough. Looks like it's all over and done.

"WARNING - NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!"

We see the characters facing something away from the screen. Looking up the rocky crags and silhouetted by the looming moon, a stubby humanoid with spiky hair watches over. Brrngh! The 8-bit chime morphs his head into a familiar blue helmet, as digitally-compressed eyes blink on. It's him! It really is him! MEGA MAN JOINS THE BATTLE!

Finally, after all these years! Mega Man defies his sordid state Capcom put him in, and return in his full, un-bull****ted Classic glory for the world to see! Even with all the support behind him, everyone was still tenacious this legandary Nintendo star would even see the light of day again! I mean, just look back to all the reactionary videos of him and tell me he wasn't the best damn character Smash 4 could've ever got! Buffalo subwaaaay!

And so those were Nintendo's E3 showings. Got off to a strong start, wondering to what the new Smash would bring. All the gameplay changes, characters, and stages were too much to behold.

It gets later in the day. As I contentedly crash in my bed, my friend sends me a text saying, "Wii Fit Trainer confirmed for Smash!" Knowing this friend's ludicrous sense of humor, I dismiss it as his usual bunknum. The name conjures up a nameless female mannequin and some weird Pokémon Trainer abomination decked in Wii Fit-themed clothing with a balance board or something. I wake up to check the Smash Bros. website, and see that this is indeed real. After we get the Villager and Mega Man, out of no where comes this awkward mess in the clash of these Nintendo greats! A one-off yoga instructor got included just for laughs! Boy, how am I going to get used to this?

And so I knew the dread of realizing the reality of implausible characters coming into Smash. I laid on my bed in silence for one hour, contemplating the implications that the Wii Fit Trainer was indeed real.

Needless to say, I got used to her in a matter of of a few days, and her inclusion doesn't bother me anymore. What this taught me was that no matter what crazy idea Sakurai has, I'll grow to at least appreciate it.

3: By Book, By Sword, By Crest of Flame & Undeserved Chrom Hatred

Out of all character reveals, the three brought from the New Fighter Intro Video were perhaps the most critical for me. It was the day that decided my main, determined the fate of my most wanted newcomer, and gave me someone to hate

It was a hot summer morning when everyone was waiting around the Internet for the previously-announced New Fighter Intro Video. It was an odd affair to release new characters without a notable occasion. We didn't get any newcomers since E3, and the time for a Nintendo direct was also beckoning.

Like any other character announcement, there was a lot of hype going into it. Some paradigms were begging to be fulfilled this late into speculation. The Fire Emblem character front was quite hot by this time, however. Gematsu was rife with belief, having scored every successive character it predicted to that point right. Chrom was one of the characters listed in the leak and had a huge support base behind him already. Lucina but heads with her aforementioned father by archetype. Roy had nostalgia and the devotion of his fans making a huge roar. Lyn, Anna, Tiki, and Micaiah remained on the fringe.

I anticipated new Fire Emblem characters right off every time we got a new trailer. And so I finally got what I wanted. We open to Lucina getting swept back by a powerful force, Chrom in a weakened state aside her. "Lucina Wakes Her Blade!?" No, this can't be all. Lucina's too similar to Marth as it is unless they mixed up her moveset to bring nuance to the "blue-haired sword lord" archetype.

We then see Captain Falcon, standing over her with impeding stature. Whoa, our favorite captain had finally graced us with his return! This game would be nothing without the Falcon Punch! And so he finally goes for it...

Two green slashes kick up dust around the F-Zero pilot. We zoom out to see a black cloaked figure with a shining electric sword. Oddly mistaking him for Masked Man, it takes a moment to look closer and realize the setting. No, it couldn't be! Robin brings the thunder! We're actually getting Robin! The one who would salvage the Fire Emblem cast from monotony!

His trailer dazzled me with his amazing moveset potential. All three main anima spells were there and even Nosferatu! The Levin sword and durability mechanic just sweetened the deal. A very technical, managerial character with his engimatic sheen. He was deemed all sorts of things. Too obscure! Too different! Just another avatar character!

With this trailer came the end of the Gematsu leak, getting two unpredicted characters and relegating Chrom to Robin's Final Smash. But with that, it also means I had to abandon my most wanted character. It was only made worse when Lucina got in instead, as a Marth clone of all things they could've done. Many were adamant towards them for that very reason. The fact that Sakurai and his designers decided to upgrade some alt costumes just for a couple clones instead of making them unique reeked of laziness and creative ineptitude.

What's even more ironic is that whilst Chrom and Lucina were ousted for fear of a bland or cut-n-paste moveset, both of them had equal chances of defying their odds. I even made a very detailed moveset for Chrom, proving that it was possible to mix up a tired cliché. We're talking about the frontman of my amazing first endeavor into Fire Emlbem. For how he never left your side throughout the story's chapters, we instead shove him aside and play him up like a butt monkey. Just look at him lying pathetically on the ground, the Plautena's Guidance, and the twisted irony of Lucina.

Don't get me wrong, I would take Robin over either Chrom or Lucina any day. But while Chrom's hate certainly was understandable, he represented much more than on the surface. It's a real shame people didn't take a closer look at that.

2: Leaks, Leaks, Leaks Galore!

Smash 4's dev cycle was muddled by leaks from all sorts of angles. Whilst the lot of them remained ridiculous or forged, there were two (and partly three now?) of them that haunted the fandom for a long time. They dominated discussion and converted zealots in their prime. Only to be proven true or false at their proving moments of veracity.

First up, we have the Gematsu Leak of 2013, which surprisingly sustained believability without any objective evidence. Surfacing a few months after E3 and coattailing off Sal Romano, this leak managed to get Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Miis, Pac-Man, Palutena, Shulk, and Greninja (as "6th Gen Pokémon") correct. It missed on Chrom and the Chorus Men, crumbling with the reveal of Robin & Lucina. Which marked the rise of a new, more valid leak.

The ESRB Leak of 2014 was the final nail in the coffin for all characters coming on launch with Smash 3DS. Not delving too far into its complicated history, some pictures of character art and video footage that surfaced from a ring of leakers within the ESRB. Most games usually have a huge leak break the rest of the roster approaching their launch, so this was no exception. The scale of it was just so immense and the rest of the characters we got were divisive at best that many had conflicting feelings about its turnout.

Of course, there were some mirror leaks here and there. The night of the Palutena leak was quite an uproar. There was some nonsense surrounding a Canadian Nintendo rep dropping Rayman's name in a demo video. The Tower of Smash leak must've been the most warmly-received out of the controversial lot. Artsy Omni fooled the world with an extremely convincing Rayman leak, bringing about the awesome Smashified series.

As for the "ethics" of leaks, there needs to be a mass effort by developers to curtail their spread for future games, especially given how endemic they were for SSB4. Hell, we've basically taken them as part of our culture! They end up prematurely buzzkilling hype more often than not. It's not like being presented new content when there's nothing to keep you established to it existing for a long period of time. In an Internet age, there needs to be more measures to safeguard content before it's ready for public release (e.g., false flag data files, tougher encryption, seperating in-progress content from patches, etc.)

1: Smash Bros.' Zenith of Public Interest

Smash bros. has kind of been considered a franchise that is mostly inclusive to hardcore gamers since the first game on. By this, I mean that the interest in the game didn't reach more casual players or even people outside the Nintendo fandom or video games. We've cultivated this phenomenon of a series over the yeas. And now with how large gaming culture is and social media, it feels as if this Smash has garnered the most public interest yet.

We have popular YouTuvbe channels, TV stations, and even late night television featuring the latest Smash Bros. or doing a segment on it. The gaming press has put a wider scope on the franchise developments. Nintendo has paved a relationship between the competitive scene and even got a high-profile preview tourney at E3 2014 for all the enjoy. We've seen the sensation that are amiibo with their demand demonstrated by some of the most breakneck shopping conditions since the Pokémon craze.

I dunno if you realize this the same way I do. But overall, it feels like there's a sense of revitalization and legacy for the Smash series. It's like a soft Nintendomania being brought through this generation of video games carried by the resurgence of 80s-90s gaming culture trends through design and fandom. With Nintendo still adjusting to a very brave new world and dominated by the competition, it certainly is the most welcome time for it.

D

Deleted member

Most Hyped Moment: Shulk Reveal - "This is the Monado's power!"

Admittedly, the ESRB leak ruined the surprise, but even before that event, I gradually became more confident in his inclusion as time passed anyway. He had much going for him including popularity, a supportive fanbase, and an upcoming successor to his game of origin.

Aside from being the avid Xenoblade fan that I am, seeing Shulk in action convinced me to main him, and I have been doing just that.

Honorable Mention: Mega Man Reveal - "FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!!!!"

While the Blue Bomber didn't receive an invitation to Marvel vs. Capcom 3 because "he wouldn't fit" or something along those lines, Sakurai saw his moveset potential and did wonders with it.

While I don't main him and I personally prefer MegaMan Volnutt's playstyle in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, both Mega Man and his universe fit within Smash Bros. almost seamlessly, and as a fan, I couldn't be more grateful.

Most Deflating Moment: Too many retro stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Most inflating

This

Plus the ballot + ryu and roy and lucas

Deflating

When everyone refused to believe anymore characters appear from the gemusatu leak days.

Im so glad duck hunt and bowser jr prooves all of those fools wrong

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well, considering my most wanted characters for this game from the beginning were Robin, Ridley and Mewtwo, you can guess my 2 most hype moments and my most unhype moment :p

still, i'm not a particular fan of megaman (have played a couple of games and enjoyed them, but I certainly don't consider myself a megaman fan) His reveal was pretty HYPE.

A lot of people have covered the gloriousness of Robin trailer in detail, hell probably is one of the reasons we have him up there next to smash boards logo but I might add that i was having a REALLY ****TY day that day, but the trailer, it was glorious! (I watched it some hours past the reveal though)

Mewtwo hype was amazing in many levels, although since we never truly ruled out the chance of some special wiiu version characters made avaiable via DLC in The 3ds, I never ruled him out completely even after the ESRB leak and the 3ds reveal. Still, mewtwo (besides being mewtwo) proved that the roster wasn't the completely final roster, and also helped a lot in sweetening the other characters cuts.

On the other hand... Ridley... sigh. I see people telling how horrible was when their characters got AT's, believe me, none of that was as BAD as Ridley's case. Sakurai used Ridley to hype us, he probably though that we would be happy to see him in the game as a boss. It happens that if there is one mechanic in smash 4 that flopped like a dead fish was stage bosses. I'm not sure if even casuals like them.. and the only thing they managed to do is ruin some stages. at least no one wanted Yellow devil as a playable character ._.

Still, haven't gave up on Ridley >:3 even if other AT characters got their popularity destroyed to only their more hardcore fans, Ridley is still waiting there somewhere, making his way into polls and stuff :p

Last edited:

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Most Deflating Hype
1. Smash Tour: Nothing in this game is as horrid as this. NOTHING.

2. Leaks: I always feel bad for Sakurai and the team when a leak is confirmed. They go out of their ways to surprise us and give use nice things but we always find a way to spoil it. D:

3. Miiverse Stage: When I first saw this, I thought it was a cute idea and we'd be able to see some nice art and posts but having played on it a few times, some of the messages are a little "off"...

Most Hype Inflating
1. WiiFit Trainer Trailer: I've seen a few people complain about WiiFit's inclusion into Smash but I for one LOVE it. WiiFit is a character barely anyone thought would be made and was so left field. It shows that Sakurai and the team are still thinking of ways to surprise use.

2. Mewtwo Trailer: Mewtwo opened the floodgates for the idea of DLC characters.

3. Smash Bros Fighter Ballot: Can anyone really argue about all the hype the Ballot created? All the campaigns and character ideas?

Are we doing nominations this week? If so:
Style Savvy Rep x 5

Last edited:
Top Bottom