• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yeah, but Ryu was the least requested out of all of them before he was leaked.
It doesn't matter if the character is unpopular, if the character can't sell, just simply package it with a popular character like Lucas. .Not every newcomer is going to be a popular character, this is Sakurai were talking about, he'd likely still put a diverse selection of newcomers whether it be the base game or not, it's not a big difference and I see little to no reason why we should expect only popular characters from him.
Hoo boy. Here we go.

Yeah, but Ryu was the least requested out of all of them before he was leaked.
I'm pretty sure you know why wasn't a popular request. Sakurai's own statement about fighting game characters was the reason. He would have been a popular choice if not for that.

It doesn't matter if the character is unpopular, if the character can't sell, just simply package it with a popular character like Lucas.
That's a horrible business practice and you know it.

Not every newcomer is going to be a popular character, this is Sakurai were talking about, he'd likely still put a diverse selection of newcomers whether it be the base game or not, it's not a big difference and I see little to no reason why we should expect only popular characters from him.
Yeah, I'm not sure why the same criteria must be applied for the main roster as well as DLC. Factors like being well-known and popularity are far more important here because people have a choice of not buying them. Creating a Young Link is taking a deliberate and unnecessary risk - he's not guaranteed to give a good return unlike characters who are actually requested.

:231:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
By star power, he does not really have much of a fan base that he reaches out towards.
Oh ok, that's what I thought it meant. :Y

The divide between the more realistic, older Links and the more chibi younger Links is well documented. However, Young Link doesn't have a new fan base to appeal to.
He also doesn't really have that pop and wow factor that makes one go "OMG must buy". There isn't much to draw people in. Link already is a composite of many Links throughout history, and Toon picks up the scraps. Many Melee players either dislike him or have moved on to Toon Link. Changing him would allinate older players, so what is he appealing to?
How about the new audience who bought the high selling MM3D? That's one.
How about the ones who care about veterans. That's two.
How about the ones who are Young Link mains. That's three.
The Zelda fanbase in general. That's four.
There are a multitude of fanbases he can appeal to.

As for not being in Brawl, let us remember that he already stated that he dislikes cuts. So what made him not even attempt to try and bring him back? Many have made the notion that Toon replaced Young, which many see as reasonable. Sure he could consider him, just like he considered Chrom or Takamaru. Considered does not equal in.
Time constraints, especially when you're releasing two versions of the game at the same time with a deadline in addition. He doesn't have those problems anymore and he can attempt to bring back every cut veteran again.

That's a horrible business practice and you know it.
If done right it certainly can, even Mario Kart 8 does it with Dry Bowser, Tanooki Mario, and Cat Peach.
Sakurai is known to make unpopular characters look like attracting choices to play as, and that also can be a selling point into buying a character.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the same criteria must be applied for the main roster as well as DLC. Factors like being well-known and popularity are far more important here because people have a choice of not buying them. Creating a Young Link is taking a deliberate and unnecessary risk - he's not guaranteed to give a good return unlike characters who are actually requested.
Yeah, but do you honestly think Sakurai would change his philosophy to be targeted towards one audience here.
He'd get satisfactory results from the specific fanbases I referred to before.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It had to with moveset changing and how you think a moveset change doesn't work, that's the reason why I quoted you.
But your "counter-argument" had nothing to do with the specific issue I was referring to. You spoke of the feasibility of making a new move set; I spoke of the practicality. Regardless of whether or not it's feasible to create a new, transformation based move set for Young Link (which is a separate, debatable issue altogether), why should they bother creating a new move set? To make him more appealing to potential buyers? If that's the case, then the character is fundamentally a suboptimal choice for DLC. The same amount of effort could be invested elsewhere for significantly greater results.

It doesn't matter if the character is unpopular, if the character can't sell, just simply package it with a popular character like Lucas.
If you know that a character won't sell well unless packaged with a more popular character, yet insist on making it anyway, then you've made a poor business decision.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah I mentioned that.

I still don't quite understand how "3 Links" is a problem because we've got 3 Marios and 3 Marths essentially.
Because there are a lot more differences between the 3 Marths and 3 Marios than there are between the 3 Links.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Because there are a lot more differences between the 3 Marths and 3 Marios than there are between the 3 Links.
Differences between the 3 Marths...? You sure about that?

As far as I know, the only difference is that the sweetspot is either at the tip, the hilt, or simply nonexistent.

Anyway, I don't think that's the main point. I'd say it's just because of the name. Having 3 characters of different versions (In their franchise, not Smash Bros) of a same character might seem a bit unsightly, but the same goes to whoever wanted Paper Mario or stuff...

Laniv

Smash Champion
Young Link:

Chance: 5%
Unfortunately, it seems :4tlink: has absorbed him into his collective.

Want: 50%
It'd be nice if he had the masks to help him.

Predictions for Dark Samus: 4% Chance, 75% Want

Nominate 6+ total DLC characters x 5

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
:4marth:: The tip of his blade is significantly stronger than the rest of it.

:roypm:: The base of his blade is significantly stronger than the rest of it.

:4lucina:: Her blade does consistent damage and knock-back throughout.

Small differences that have a big impact on their individual play style.

Burruni

Smash Hero

As far as I know, the only difference is that the sweetspot is either at the tip, the hilt, or simply nonexistent.

Anyway, I don't think that's the main point. I'd say it's just because of the name. Having 3 characters of different versions (In their franchise, not Smash Bros) of a same character might seem a bit unsightly, but the same goes to whoever wanted Paper Mario or stuff...
In gameplay, the difference in :4lucina: & :4marth: is the existance of the tipper. :roypm: had a sweetspot of the hilt with a number of unique moves who had to play significantly differently. As characters, they are separate entities all with their own popularities.
In honesty, the relationship is more :4marth: original :roypm: clone with different hitboxes and stats who plays significiantly differently :4lucina: clone that has little to differentiate themselves besides the gimmick.
With Young Link, many see it was :4link:original :4tlink:semi-clone with different hitboxes and stats who plays significiantly differently :younglinkmelee: clone that has little to differentiate themselves without getting a moveset facelift.

The differences being that this is DLC, Lucina was already being worked on as a costume, and she had wild popularity from her franchise.

Even the relationship of "Marios", you have :4mario: original, :4drmario: clone that has a unique move and different attack properties but plays very similarly, :4luigi: the furthest thing you can be to a clone with the term being valid :4wario: Crude Biker Bad Mario, and then Paper Mario would be as visually and moveset wise distinct from :4mario: as :4wario2:. And, that difference yet again for the case of Paper Mario, is being a fairly popular character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought Young Link would be the least controversial...
Boy was I wrong.
The Directory has been updated.

Young Link
Chance:
1%

Only because he's a veteran that has (kinda minuscule) support.
Otherwise, he stands no chance thanks to there already being two Links on the roster and being a highly controversial addition.
Toon Link is basically Young Link now, having very similar attributes to him (and I think even the same voice actor).

Want: -100% (0%)
I have never given a negative score to a veteran, but this stems from a few things.
  1. He would be yet another Link... I rather not have 3 of them.
  2. He wouldn't add any value to the roster. Essentially, he would be a waste of time and resources in my eyes.
  3. He wouldn't really add anything to the Zelda representation. Sure, there would be more Majora's Mask representation, but we already have that with Deku Nuts and Skull Kid. It doesn't help that Zelda has two semi-clones.
  4. I rather have a lot more characters over Young Link.
  5. I didn't really like him in Melee to justify a return... I preferred adult Link for his power.
Honestly... this is one of the worst suggestions I've heard of and that is saying a lot.
No offense to Young Link fans and supporters.

Dark Samus Prediction: 5.83%
Not much to say here.

Nominations: Owain 5x

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To make him more appealing to potential buyers? If that's the case, then the character is fundamentally a suboptimal choice for DLC.
I don't really see it as suboptimal, it's a way to get a load of fanbases attracted to buying Young Link.
I don't want to go on another sales argument anymore, because it's getting very cliche now. So I'll just end it here.

Time to Counter the Counter-Arguments!
Veteran:
Probably the least demanded and least wanted veteran out there, considering the hate Pichu gets that's quite sad if you think about, but it's moreso what he brings to the table...which isn't much that isn't already here, as a former playable character, sure there are some that miss him but I personally don't remember too many people using Young Link to begin with...
Even if he's the least requested, again he's still a veteran at heart that people want back, that's what matters more.

A Third Link Doesn't Matter:
As stated in my rating, Having three of one character isn't an issue but when three of one character has almost the exact same moveset and similar playstyle, then it is an issue

But :4marth::4lucina::roypm:
First of all, they are not the same character, sure Lucina pretended to be Marth but she is still a different person...Second Lucina was added in the base roster and wasn't added in DLC, people didn't have to pay for her separately (though people still complained because people do not like clones to begin with)...Let's also Remember that Roy was one of the most requested veterans behind Wolf and Snake (the only reason we didn't rate him sooner was because of the votes freeze due to the leak), also Roy (who will be the one added as DLC, mind you) plays more differently than the other two by a long shot...or short shot....if you consider his gimmick...(there's also the fact that Sakurai seems to favour Fire Emblem)
Finally we still don't know if Roy will be the same as is or if he'll get upgraded to Semi-clone, some may argue that Lucas, Mewtwo, Dr. mario haven't been changed but consider these things...Dr. Mario was once again a last minute as he was in melee, and DLC was not considered at the time, Mewtwo resembles no one and requires little changes, Lucas's moveset differs enough from Ness already, once again there really isn't a need to change it...Roy on the otherhand will be the first clone of a cloned character on the roster, plus with Sakurai's preference for Fire Emblem he may feel more obligated to actually try to update his moveset...
I can see a obvious contradiction here with this post here.
As stated in my rating, Having three of one character isn't an issue but when three of one character has almost the exact same moveset and similar playstyle, then it is an issue
It's not much of a difference other than being the same character, it's still a different variation of a character like Dr. Mario that fans would like to see back.

Are you sure? Both Toon Link and Ganondorf had more to work with and they haven't been updated...why? Because most players who are used to using these characters will feel alienated by their drastic changes...Sure I just countered my counter to a counter-argument there from my previous post, (Roy will most likely get the Ganondorf treatment which still stays true to his original moveset) fixed that problem....but the thing people need to consider is the options for Young Link...Masked young Link would function better with transformations, not as a more complex Pizza Pac-man or Kirby Stone...Especially considering how much time in Majora's Mask it took to transform, it would really feel like using a Masked Young Link if he literally just transforms instantly for just one move then back again, he needs to put on his masks first, he's not a shape changer like the mentioned Kirby and Pac-man, whos shapes don't really change all that drastically to begin with.. I could expect characters like Shantae to implement a mechanic like this for their moveset, but not Young Link...Sure he could just use other items but so can Toon Link...
Look, even Shantae takes long to transform to in her games, she has to dance before she can transform to. Like Young Link, she can just quickly transform to do her attacks, it would be something you just got to get used to.

Relevance:
There are a bunch of other characters that are also relevant, some of these characters have a vast popularity, such as Inklings, Dixie Kong and possibly Wolf (another veteran) depending on his role in the new Star Fox game...We can't keep using relevance vs. popularity because sometimes characters that are both get snubbed and characters that are neither get added...It may up his chances a little bit but doesn't make him a lock...
Being relevant to a highly anticipated remake is something far more notable, and with that game, Young Link would've likely been considered.

Sakurai doesn't like cutting characters:
But yet here we are, talking about several veterans, including Young Link, and whether or not they will make it back, some won't...Sometimes Sakurai doesn't have a choice and a sacrifice must be made...yes time is an issue for making the game but that just means he didn't prioritizes these characters over making someone unique....which Young Link isn't...
No it doesn't mean that, he'd likely still care about the fans who uses them, which is exactly the reason why Lucas came back as a character.

Sakurai wants to bring as much DLC as possible:
By this logic then every character we rate will be DLC...Sakurai stated he has plans for DLC, yes, but he hasn't really stated what his plans are specifically, he already stated he's planning on certain game modes and other stuff, but nothing really specific about characters or cut veterans were stated...Vet Status does not give him a free ticket back into the line-up...
What? Did I ever say it guarantees them? No I didn't. The majority of this argument is full of "that's a factor, but doesn't guarantee them", those are helpful factors to his inclusion. I don't think you're countered well at all on how it's not a factor.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Young Link
Chances: 3%
Unlike the erroneous assumptions with Mewtwo and Roy, Young Link was the only character that could be said to have been flat out replaced by a newcomer in Brawl. Toon Link came into the game with no files for Young Link found within the depths of Brawl at all, and he fills the same niche that Young Link did, a child Link that's faster and differs from the adult Link. Due to that, it already gives the impression that Sakurai doesn't consider him a priority at all. What makes matters worse is that he's one of the least wanted veterans period by the fanbase even in Japan, being beaten out by every other cut veteran and a good number of potential newcomers, so there's little demand for him as we;ll. These in combination make him probably the least likely veteran of the bunch, he's not impossible as there are ways to differentiate him like using Majora's Mask for inspiration, but it's not likely at all that they'd be able to tap that due to 3DS limitations.

Want: 1%
I can't say I want to see him return, he doesn't offer anything that any of the other Links don't already offer, and as a character himself there's not much to him that would make me interested in getting him to return.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't really see it as suboptimal, it's a way to get a load of fanbases attracted to buying Young Link.
In that case, you're not adding Young Link because the masses actually want him or because it's a good choice. Rather, you're adding Young Link for the sake of adding Young Link, and retroactively trying to make it work with a time consuming revamp.

That's a short-sighted practice.

I don't want to go on another sales argument anymore, because it's getting very cliche now. So I'll just end it here.
But that's a factor that you simply can't ignore. And you're choosing to ignore it.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Young Link
Chance: 35%
I admit I'm being slightly generous with this rating but Young Link has many good things in his favor which @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 has already gone over so I'm not going to go into detail about them.

Want: 95%
Up until recently I was against Young Link. Then they released the Majora's Mask DLC for Hyrule Warriors. This one game made me do a complete 180 turn on my views on Young Link and now I'm a big fan of him and see his potential as a fun character in the latest Smash Bros. I guess you could say I'm an example of what Blue was saying. His recent appearances have created new fans and fan bases for him that will most likely buy Young Link DLC like myself.

The masks are such an interesting concept and I would love to see them implemented. By the way, to anybody saying they won't overhaul a veterans special moves because it will alienate fans of the character, may I bring up Pit who had 3 of his special moves changed from the transition from Brawl to Smash 4.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
In that case, you're not adding Young Link because the masses actually want him or because it's a good choice. Rather, you're adding Young Link for the sake of adding Young Link.
Not really, I've said before it would make the mains of him, the ones who wants all veterans back, the Zelda fanbase, and the ones who bought MM3D recently get interested in buying him. I don't think I said he would be added for the sake of adding him.

and retroactively trying to make it work with a time consuming revamp.
It's not that time consuming when you're only changing a few moves like with Pit, Bowser, and a load of other characters who got a small moveset change.

But that's a factor that you simply can't ignore. And you're choosing to ignore it.
Because I don't see Sakurai using sales as a end-all factor to determine his characters, he might do it for a few characters with the ballot, but not for the majority of the DLC character selection Sakurai is going to determine considering his diversity with his choices.

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
"Even if he's the least requested, again he's still a veteran at heart that people want back, that's what matters more."

Except, we don't want him back in our hearts. The itty bitty tiny hole Young Link left, was filled by Toon Link. And y'know what? Toon Link did a better job filling that tiny hole way better than Young Link ever could have.

Also, "Not really, I've said before it would make the mains of him, the ones who wants all veterans back, the Zelda fanbase, and the ones who bought MM3D recently get interested in buying him. I don't think I said he would be added for the sake of adding him. "

All of those bases, even added together, are extremely small and not worth catering to. And I'm pretty sure the Zelda fanbase would much rather have Impa or Midna by miles, so you can't use them for your argument.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Not really, I've said before it would make the mains of him, the ones who wants all veterans back, the Zelda fanbase, and the ones who bought MM3D recently get interested in buying him. I don't think I said he would be added for the sake of adding him.
I really have to say this: just because those three fanbases could buy Young Link doesn't mean they will. The Zelda fanbase for instance may not be interested in him due to being another clone and prefer Impa, Vaati, etc., and there doesn't seem to be that much outcry for him in general among them anyway. Similarly, MM3D is not exactly being represented considering the Young Link we're talking about drew little (if anything) special from that game, so the only thing you're getting out of him is aesthetic appeal and that alone is not going to draw a lot of people. You're assuming that just because these fanbases exist, that they must all want Young Link when in reality, their opinion on the matter is just as varied as they are in the regular Smash fanbase and they still may not make up a large enough chunk for him to be considered a worthwhile option.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Young Link is a tough nut to crack, since his appealing factors contradict eachother, effectively creating two different character:

1. The Melee clone
This version of Young Link is a veteran that will probably be a clone

2. The 3DS-era Young Link
If you pretend Young Link in Melee never happened, you get a recent character with a potentially interesting mask moveset.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not really, I've said before it would make the mains of him, the ones who wants all veterans back, the Zelda fanbase, and the ones who bought MM3D recently get interested in buying him.
What @ Arcanir Arcanir said. Not everyone in those respective fanbases are necessarily going to be interested in buying Young Link (those who love the character, sure, but everyone in the Zelda fanbase?), and ultimately, the total number of people truly interested in Young Link is still small.

I don't think I said he would be added for the sake of adding him.
If there's not significant demand for a product, then you are making that product for the sake of making that product.

Because I don't see Sakurai using sales as a end-all factor to determine his characters, he might do it for a few characters with the ballot, but not for the majority of the DLC character selection Sakurai is going to determine considering his diversity with his choices.
You're not Sakurai.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Young Link is a tough nut to crack, since his appealing factors contradict eachother, effectively creating two different character:

1. The Melee clone
This version of Young Link is a veteran that will probably be a clone

2. The 3DS-era Young Link
If you pretend Young Link in Melee never happened, you get a recent character with a potentially interesting mask moveset.
The former of which is arguably the least supported veteran next to Pichu who was created to be a joke character and had his role effectively usurped by Toon Link.

The latter which is a newcomer that would require more work than other newcomers with far less popularity or base value to the roster.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Also, "Not really, I've said before it would make the mains of him, the ones who wants all veterans back, the Zelda fanbase, and the ones who bought MM3D recently get interested in buying him. I don't think I said he would be added for the sake of adding him. "

All of those bases, even added together, are extremely small and not worth catering to.
Are you calling the Zelda fanbase and the ones who bought MM3D small? (When the remake sold millions)

Except, we don't want him back in our hearts. The itty bitty tiny hole Young Link left, was filled by Toon Link. And y'know what? Toon Link did a better job filling that tiny hole way better than Young Link ever could have.
You all like to sound like villains here, I know you guys like to be toxic at certain characters, but it's gotta be minimized, one of these kinds of posts might accidently offend someone one day.
Even then, Sakurai wouldn't care what you and other fans would think, he'd be more concerned about getting veterans back than getting the reaction.

I really have to say this: just because those three fanbases could buy Young Link doesn't mean they will. The Zelda fanbase for instance may not be interested in him due to being another clone and prefer Impa, Vaati, etc., and there doesn't seem to be that much outcry for him in general among them anyway.
Yeah I'm completely aware of this. They definitely all vary for sure.

. Similarly, MM3D is not exactly being represented considering the Young Link we're talking about drew little (if anything) special from that game, so the only thing you're getting out of him is aesthetic appeal and that alone is not going to draw a lot of people.
If you revamp the character with a few new moves based on the MM3D, there's a newfound appeal to the character that can attract people into buying the character. That's why I think there's a good chance Young Link could get revamped, so he at least has something to differentiate himself with Toon Link in terms of playstyle, because quite frankly, Toon Link already takes his play style.

If there's not significant demand for a product, then you are making that product for the sake of making that product.
If that's your viewpoint, then fine. :p
I don't see it that way, and I don't see Sakurai seeing it that way either.

You're not Sakurai.
I may not be him, but I do know Sakurai has continuously varied his choices that aren't just popular characters all the time with each Smash game that comes, and it will likely be varied again with DLC.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
"Even if he's the least requested, again he's still a veteran at heart that people want back, that's what matters more."

All of those bases, even added together, are extremely small and not worth catering to. And I'm pretty sure the Zelda fanbase would much rather have Impa or Midna by miles, so you can't use them for your argument.
Speak for yourself man. Some people like myself heavily prefer YLink over TLink and wouldn't mind seeing 3 Links in the game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I heavily prefer Young Link over Toon Link... and I see no reason in bringing Young Link back. Barely anyone really wants him, not even Japan (Young Link is the ONLY veteran according to PushDustin's analysis that not only isn't wanted more highly above any newcomers... he's NOT EVEN ON THE LIST. That's how little desire there is for him).

The former of which is arguably the least supported veteran next to Pichu who was created to be a joke character and had his role effectively usurped by Toon Link.

The latter which is a newcomer that would require more work than other newcomers with far less popularity or base value to the roster.
This is by far the best explanation of the Young Link dilemma. Melee Young Link isn't heavily desired at all, while Masked Link would be way too complicated to develop, ESPECIALLY as DLC. And our trends of getting characters reworked even slightly is slim at best.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
"Are you calling the Zelda fanbase and the ones who bought MM3D small? (When the remake sold millions)"

The Zelda fanbase doesn't want him. They want Impa, Vaati, Midna, hell they would prefer Toon Zelda or Tetra.

Speak for yourself man. Some people like myself heavily prefer YLink over TLink and wouldn't mind seeing 3 Links in the game.
I am in the majority when I say I don't want Young Link back. So don't worry, I'm not speaking for you.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
All it takes one unpopular character out of a hundred potential contenders that isn't Bandanna Dee, Rayman, Isaac, King K. Rool, Snake, Wolf, Roy, Inkling and other top 10 voted characters that Sakurai can pick on his own will to get proven wrong just so you guys know. :L

we dont even know that.
Don't we already though, Lucas and Mewtwo are already an example of a character not being mainly added because of the ballot.

Uniqueness will also be a factor, which Young Link lacks.
Psst, you're a Toon Zelda supporter, why are you saying that? :bluejump:
Some characters can also get in through clones if Sakurai has the spare time.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Imma just be quick about it
Chance: 20%
Want: 70%

Dark Samus Prediction: 1%

Nominations:
Inkling x3
Endou x2

All it takes one unpopular character out of a hundred potential contenders that isn't Bandanna Dee, Rayman, Isaac, King K. Rool, Snake, Wolf, Roy, Inkling and other top 10 voted characters that Sakurai can pick on his own will to get proven wrong just so you guys know. :L

Don't we already though, Lucas and Mewtwo are already an example of a character not being mainly added because of the ballot.

but now the ballot has started and there really is no way that young will be pre-ballot after Roy and ryu are already on the way.

if young link is added it would HAVE to be in the post ballot period. And as far as anyone knows that will be based on the ballot. It may not just be popular characters but it very well could be.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Spoiler alert

It still won't be Young Link!:troll:

I'm not, which is why I gave her a 50% rating in want. Even then, 1 Child Zelda is still far more unique than a second Child Link (which, considering her obvious semi-clone status isn't saying much:p)

And looke here, we already have a Link clone that fulfills the exact same gameplay niche Young Link has.:4tlink: In that regard, there is no need for him.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oh. God, I leave for half-hour and look what I missed...can't leave you kids unattended now can I?

And for the record, Zelda fans DO NOT want another Link (save for the few that actually mained Young Link which is a very small minority compared to the rest of us), as much as we like Link (unless we got Midna riding on the back of a Wolf version of him then well take him as a bonus)...We want (a better Ganondorf) a NEW character, which we technically didn't get since melee...most of us would reluctantly buy him for the sake of completion...and the casual crowd probably won't (since they'd be put off because 'Don't we already have two of this guy already?')

Unpopular character won't probably get many votes, and I seriously doubt that Sakurai would pick fairly unpopular character with only few votes that is similar to another character already in the roster over any popular character with 100000+ votes and more moveset potential.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
He probably has a load of characters pre-planned, and given that Sakurai wants to make veteran fans happy with Lucas and Mewtwo, he might do the same with other veterans, like Young Link, given the many ways he could get considered.

I'm not, which is why I gave her a 50% rating in want. Even then, 1 Child Zelda is still far more unique than a second Child Link (which, considering her obvious semi-clone status isn't saying much:p)
What difference does it make really?
It's a second child link sure, but it's still a second child link people want back because he's a veteran.
What's it about being a third version of a character that makes it completely wrong? It's not that bad when you think about it further.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Oh ok, that's what I thought it meant. :Y

Time constraints, especially when you're releasing two versions of the game at the same time with a deadline in addition. He doesn't have those problems anymore and he can attempt to bring back every cut veteran again.

If done right it certainly can, even Mario Kart 8 does it with Dry Bowser, Tanooki Mario, and Cat Peach.
Sakurai is known to make unpopular characters look like attracting choices to play as, and that also can be a selling point into buying a character.

Yeah, but do you honestly think Sakurai would change his philosophy to be targeted towards one audience here.
He'd get satisfactory results from the specific fanbases I referred to before.
1 - Just because people like a game does not necessarily translate into character popularity. WFT sold millions, yet nobody supported her. Chrom ended up with a split fan base despite selling well too.

2 - True, he's a veterain, but one of the least supported ones, second only to Pichu. Check out this thread, and you see where veteran status is held highly he's struggling to get a 5% approval to disproval rating. Compared to many characters, that's not very good.

3 - While I don't have a counter to that popularity, it is entirety possible Sakurai thinks that Toon Link is a good enough successor to Young Link.

4 - The Zelda fan base seems to want many other characters. Many are sick of having two clones, one of which comes from a different franchisee. Tetra, Vaati, Ganon, Impa, Tingle, etc. are typically more supported among Zelda fans than him.

My question is if Sakurai will even attempt to bring him back. Rember what he said about Chrom. He considered him, but felt that he added to little and chose Robin instead. He has a president of skipping over characters he has no interest in, even after considering them. With Toon Link acting as a replacement, he might not want to work again.

Responding to FalKoopa's points, unlike in Maro Kart, a Smash Brother character is significantly more work. They require little balancing and not nearly as many animations. The two are not nearly comparable.

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Would be interesting if they could implement young link as a skin for toon link? Like all the different bowser junior skins.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
He probably has a load of characters pre-planned, and given that Sakurai wants to make veteran fans happy with Lucas and Mewtwo, he might do the same with other veterans, like Young Link, given the many ways he could get considered.

It's a second child link sure, but it's still a second child link people want back because he's a veteran.
What's it about being a third version of a character that makes it completely wrong? It's not that bad when you think about it further.
Because we don't know if we will get multiple characters per franchise with the assumption that Sakurai wants to cater to as many people as possible...a lot of zelda fans won't be happy if we get a clone veteran to return instead of an actual new character first from DLC...this is why people are put off by the idea especially since Young Link as is from melee already plays similarily to two other characters...

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Young Link
Chance: 3.5%
I didn't realize this character was going to make this thread so active. I personally think he doesn't have much of a chance at all. I'm not even going to bring up the 3 Links argument; I'm not one to care about that trivial kind of stuff. What I will bring up though is that Toon Link basically is Young Link. He fills the exact same role, guys. He even does it better because through Toon Link's alts he's able to represent all of the classic games. The majority of people rating seem to think he has a decent shot just because he's a veteran, but you need to understand that we're not going to get veteran DLC forever. Not every cut veteran is going to make it back through DLC, and even if you consider Young Link a veteran it doesn't take that much to realize that he's probably very low priority due to Toon Link's inclusion. I don't think Majora's Mask is going to be enough to get Sakurai to add Young Link, especially since there's already a Fierce Deity Link costume placed in there to represent it already. And before you quote me, BluePikmin11, I did enjoy reading your post and thought you made some decent points, but I'll let you know beforehand that nothing anyone says is going to get me to change my mind on this one. I'll give the young Hero of Time a total of 3.5%.
This is one where I'd have to see it to believe it...

Want: 5%
It would be humorous to see him get included, but I happen to main Toon Link so he's enough for me.

Prediction - Dark Samus: 4.1%

Nominations:
x8 !Rerate: Inklings
x2 Tails the Fox

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's pointless because Young Link and toon Link might as well be the same person for all the difference it makes. They both were in for the purpose of representing an important aspect of the LoZ franchise- Child Links. As Toon Link is here, ergo Young Link has no reason to be in and thus is redundant.

Top Bottom