• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I thought Vivian was your waifu :troll:

Trust me I know how you feel, To be honest its an accomplishment I was able to single handedly rate a character up, it only took me 51 days, though I didn't rate everyday. Though what's alpha stages?
The concept of α stages is similar to Ω stages, all stages have a form that is styled in the likeness of Battlefield.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
chance:
20%

Young Link has newfound relevance with two remakes of his games, he can be unique while also having clone potential.
Don't come here with the can't sell argument since even Dunban's hair sells like hotcakes.

Want:
70%
Is this how you spell "The only video game character that I find cute"?

Takamaru x5

Dark Ness: 16.7%

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
YOUNG LINK:
CHANCE AND WANT: 0%

Aside from having very low demand in general, people throwing around the Majora's Mask transformations should understand that it's not a feasible idea on the 3DS. Copying Young Link as is from Melee is a bad idea as he would barely stand out among Link and Toon Link, sharing aesthetic similarities to adult Link while being similar in size to Toon Link (unlike :4mario::4drmario: or :4marth::4lucina::roypm:), and most people really don't want three Links.

And I hardly ever used him in Melee, so I don't want him back.

ASHLEY (WARIOWARE) × 5

:231:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Young Link - 3%

I'm sure Sakurai at least looked back at all the cut veterans a few times and considered him again. I feel like that doesn't do much for him on it's own though. Really, the only thing apart from that, that I really feel like he has going for him, is the possibility of a masked-based moveset. Even then, that's only if Sakurai likes the idea of it and is able to implement the mechanics of it into the game as the way he thinks it would work best. A good mask-based moveset would likely be very complex, and the limitations of the 3DS could likely result in it suffering the same fate that the Ice Climbers met. It could still work, yeah, but the thing is Sakurai might not like it if the limitations prevent it from becoming what he envisioned for it. Otherwise, no mask moveset and I think it's safe to bet that he'd be a lost cause. There's a snowball's chance in hell of us getting a second clone of the average Link in one game.

Want - 0%

The only cut veteran that I do not want to return. I liked him in Melee, but that's it. I don't want to see him return in Smash 4 and I don't want him to return in any possible future installments, mask-moveset or not.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess I'll be generous and give him a 20% chance.
He is still a veteran and with the potential return of Roy, Sakurai doesn't seem to have much issues with having three characters with the same base playstyle.

However, considering the fact we got a remake of Ocarina of Time and we still got Toon Link back despite that Wind Waker HD wasn't even on the table yet before the roster was decided. I'm not sure if Majora's Mask 3D will have as much of an impact on his return if the former remake apparently wasn't enough. He wasn't even planned for a comeback which may show that Sakurai is probably happy with Toon Link being sort of his spiritual successor.

But who knows I guess...... He is still relevant though and despite that he has a vocal hatebase when it comes to games like Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors. He does also have a vocal fanbase when it comes to the Zelda franchise in general with them constantly asking for more games that involve the Hero of Time etc. (I guess Young Link has a bit of a love/hate relationship going on with the gaming community.....)

Want: 15%
If we where to get another semi-clone from the Zelda franchise. I'd personally rather have Toon Zelda.....
Although I guess a battle between the Hero of Time and the Hero of Winds would probably be pretty neat to see....

Dark Samus: 3%

Nominating Mallo x5

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Table of Content:
-3DS Limitations
-No Three Links/Toon Link
-He won't sell
-Uniqueness
-Ballot

Time for Ad-Ranture

Suddenly, 3DS limitations.
Seriously, some of these guys have Ice Climbers-syndrome and think that only the simplest of Shoto-clones can get in and the rest gets thrown away, because 3DS limitations.
I get SmashBoards only plays neutral stages but jeeez, never played another stage than Battlefield?
3DS stages have mechanics like:

-Warp Pipes
-That Green Monster that gives you a bonus depending on your palette swap
-A golden transformation by getting 100 Golden Coins
-An attack boost when you get 100 Pellets
-Rising Pillars
-PictoChat 2 gets a ton of wonky stuff too.

And other things.

While characters with gimmicks can play on these stages fine, like:
-Bowser Jr's Mechakoopa's AND Clown Car mechanic.
-Robin's breakable tomes
-Rosalina and Luma
-KO Punch

and others.

Of course Ice Climbers are a different league and transformation characters might have took to long to load, but don't throw everything seemingly complex away because a 3DS can't handle it, because it probably can.
In 60 frames per second. In 3D.

Time for Ad-Rant-Ure
Young Link is too similar to (Toon) Link/No three Links

Totally looks similar/is the same as (Toon) Link
Sure, the two might look-alike in theory, small Links, but they look alot different when digging further.
First and foremost, Toon Link has a giant head with ditto eyes, while Young Link has a normal sized and and less Toony proportions.

Young Link also has a darker attire and comes from a different art-styles.
Toon Link cannot feasibly represent all the young Links, because his design pulls so much from Wind Waker.

Young Link has a more realistic and general design, so he can rep his young brethren a notch better.

Look at it this way:
The Young Link clone from Melee might have been replaced by Toon Link, the character hasn't.
And the character Young Link is alive and kicking with two of the most critically acclaimed games of all time under his belt.
With these games gaining remake this era too.

Come on guys, Young Link is more than a Chibi-Link. Especially if that Link is from Twilight Princess.
Young Link can't be Small Link because they are different Links.

There have been Two Marioes already, why can't a series that changes the main character into a different person every time get three versions.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are huge games, they deserve their main character too.
Especially if this character is a veteran.

Time for Ad-Rant-Ure
Toon Link replaced him/Young Link wasn't planned for Brawl

Yes.
I think so too.

The situation was as following IMO:
Young Link was made as an easy Link clone and to honor the recent two games starring him.
He was in two big, recent games from the era represented in Melee and since he could be cloned easily, he was put in.

In Brawl, Young Link's relevance was gone and replaced with Wind Waker's.
People requested Toon Link to get in, to honor the game.
Sakurai put him in, since he was an easy clone and to represent a recent game.

Now Young Link was old and his moveset could be transferred to Toon Link, so the switch was made.

But now, Young Link's relevance kicks in again with the two remakes made in the era represented by WiiU/3DS and there's no fear that he'll dissapear into the background for a new Child Link.

Thus, Young Link's character is refreshed and "new", and not completely overshadowed by a new Child Link outside of Smash.
Young Link now has reason again to join the battle.

Time for Ad-Rant-Ure
He can't sell

Oh yes he can.
For a lower price than the non-clones (if he's a clone), Nintendo could make much profit from him.
People defend Dark Pit for being easier than an item and I want to do the same for Young Link.

Young Link can borrow some elements from Toon Link, with only the model being different.

He can even be an unique character, which of course will sell on his own too.
"No he can't"

Time for Ad-Rant-Ure
He's not unique

First, that might even help him.
Easy clones are easy and it might even turn the situation in a "Why not?" situation.

Young Link is relevant and a veteran so this could very well be the case.

Fierce Deity
But Young Link can be unique too.
As shown above, The 3DS can very well handle a Fierce Deity transformation (The long loading times could even be a way to balance it) and it could work a bit like the KO Punch.

Moon
Time could also play a big role in Young Link moveset.
A timer consisting of "3 Days" appears above Young Link's portrait (Bottom of the screen) and when it is full, the Moon will crash on Young Link and possibly the enemy.

Masks
We haven't even touched masks yet.
Young Link could use his masks to achieve different attacks.

Transformation Masks as the specials, and an attack tied to the other masks as taunts and Smashes.

Mask of Truth could act as a Gossip Stone flinging Up Smash.
Gerudo Mask could bring a Warlock Punch Epona + Bow and Arrow combo
Spooky Mask could be a generic scare, or an attack with Dampé's Son's Stick.

Ocarina of Time.
And last but not least, he could use the Ocarine of Time items, like the titular Ocarina or the Deku Slingshot, Nut and Stick.

Time for Ad-Rant-Ure
Young Link has no ballot popularity

I get it, the ballot is a new thing and we're all going crazy about rigged polls (because no King K. Rool) and other Reddit stuff. The new perception is only popular characters get in and all retros, Wii Fit Trainers and other slightly out of left field stuff will never be in. Because of the ballot

But this is not the case.

Ballots like these have been done for Brawl and Melee too, and look at what happened there.
While the likes of Wario, Sonic and Diddy were in Brawl, the same goes for R.O.B, Pit and Pokémon Trainer.
Of course, the DLC might be geared a bit more towards popular characters, but there's still room for Monita.

And before you bring up "only six slots pre-ballot", that's bullcrêpe.It's entirely possible there's no "pre-ballot" and "ballot". The ballot is a suggestion box and I don't think that when October hits, everything changes to a "Obvious Choice-Paradise"

Last edited:
Chance: 1% Low demand, we already have Toon Link and the mask thing won't probably happen because 3DS so he would probably be another clone.
Want: 0% Two Links is enough.

Dark Samus: 3%

Nominations: Gengar 5x

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
I have a busy day, I don't know if I'll be able to do one of my regular ratings today, so I'll just leave this here for now and edit it if I can later.

Young Link's chances: 15%

Want: 0%

Dark Samus prediction: 2.19%

Nominations: Karate Joe x5

Young link

Chance 8%
Young link unfortunately has a n apparent replacement. Toon link pretty much is young link. The poor guy also has very little if any support, probably being the least popular veteran. I dont expect him to be pre-ballot either. . .
A few bomus points from being a veteran but that isnt much.

Want 0%
I dont really care for a clone when he already exists. (Yes i gave roy a 100% want but thats pretty much nostalgia) Dont care for masked link either.

Prediction 2.32% (unfortunately )

Noms
viridi 4
nintendoland stage 1

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Young Link:

Chance: 100%. Young Link was confirmed a long time ago, I thought?

Oh...the other Young Link.
*cough*

Chance: 5%. Because there's little value in adding him, original character or no. We already have two Links, including one that already completely represents what Young Link does. As an original character, not only would a transforming character be technically impossible, but it would probably be seen as a waste considering that there's numerous other non-Link characters from the Zelda series that could be included.
*cough*MIDNA*cough*

Want: 0%. I considered giving him a higher score since he is Ocarina of Time Link, who is my favorite...then I realized they could just give the current Link an Adult Link costume with the voice without making me pay for an unneeded clone character.

Now, if Young Link was a unique character? Then my score is...

Still 0%! I'm sorry, but the only third Link I will accept is Wolf Link with Midna.

------
Nominations:
Jill Valentine x2
Pirate Ship x3

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So it boils to not selling well, third link, alienating his moveset, and 3DS limitations eh, psst I already taken care of those arguments. You should read the rating again, there a load of arguments here that I have taken care of here. unless you got something valuable and new to counterargue that hasn't been said to Young Link before, though it would probably be something way similar to what I heard before like "that character would be counterproductive to sell" in an informative way, which I heard a billion times before and I haven't really changed my viewpoint of.

And I'm pretty sure it hasn't been stated by Sakurai that Toon Link replaced Young Link, where are people getting that at?

He does not have the star power to get in by himself, and as a prior clone he has gained a notable hate base.
Star power...
Coming from the Zelda games who got the highest amount of critical praise, how can you not call that star power?

Not being a part of the Forbidden Seven is a big blow.
No it isn't, he may not have been planned in Brawl, but doesn't mean there's no other way Sakurai can consider him, look at the notable MM3D (that's still being advertised in commercials) and how Sakurai looks at upcoming games to start considering characters, that should really have Sakurai consider the idea of Young Link again.

Last edited:
So it boils to not selling well, third link, alienating his moveset, and 3DS limitations eh, psst I already taken care of those arguments. You should read the rating again, there a load of arguments here that I have taken care of here. unless you got something valuable and new to counterargue that hasn't been said to Young Link before, though it would probably be something way similar to what I heard before like "that character would be counterproductive to sell" in an informative way, which I heard a billion times before and I haven't really changed my viewpoint of.

And I'm pretty sure it hasn't been stated by Sakurai that Toon Link replaced Young Link, where are people getting that at?
Rating should represent rater's personal opinion about character's chances. You shouldn't persuade people to change their ratings because of your counterarguments.

Last edited:
Do you actually believe that someone will actually change his/her rating because you have "taken care of several arguments against Young Link"? Rating should represent rater's personal opinion about character's chances. You shouldn't persuade people to change their ratings because of your counterarguments.
there is a difference between forcing someone to change opinions and maybe making them think a little differently. Somethimes a 2nd opinion can change a lot.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ok then. :L
But there's so much flaws to some of these ratings that I taken care of, I can't help but counterargue. :>
If you want me to point it out, I'll just quote out of my rating so you guys know what's wrong.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
HOOOO Boy, here we go.

I'll be breaking up how I view this as two entities: Young Link, the Veteran from Melee & Masked Link, the "newcomer" who uses attack-specific transformations fluidly in his attacks.

Young Link Chance - 10%: He was a veteran who got Hyrule Warriors DLC and remakes of the two games he exists in recently out so he's in people's minds. That is ALL he has going for him. His time of relevancy/recency in Zelda has just come to a close with MM3D which has been getting very mixed comments from fans about the changes done to the game.

We stand that there were 11 total cuts in Smash history. 5 of them from Melee, :drmario: on the base roster because he was being worked on already as a costume and got promoted, :mewtwomelee: out as DLC that was in mind since fairly early development, :roymelee: being the second high-demand Melee cut and has been leaked to be on the way, and then :younglinkmelee::pichumelee: the two clones that the vast majority of the Smash fanbase never asked to return. Of the 6 cuts from Brawl, :lucas: is confirmed to DLC, :wolf: many people consider to be a lock, :squirtle: & :ivysaur: who wallow in middling support, :popo::icsmelee: who were Hand-Picked by Sakurai but faced technical limitations in main game development and fans wonder if/how the team will handle this, and :snake: who is the most popular cut but faces massive issues of his company and creator.

He IS a Veteran, but of the 10 cut characters that weren't on the base roster, he sits on some of the lowest spots of demand and being one of two of the Melee cuts not planned for Brawl certainly says that he wasn't a priority then.

Sakurai said, two major things when it came to the work of :4drmario:& :4mewtwo:, 1) The data from Melee is no longer viable to import and build off of so Melee cut veterans have to be built up from Scratch and 2) that he hates alienating fans of a character by changing how they really play. He may very well see that :toonlink: was the successor to :younglinkmelee: which would make his hopes incredibly grim, but it also brings me to my next point.

Masked Link Chance - 0%: Why bring back a veteran and significantly change their moveset, even if it is "just" their specials? Looking past how the only other mid-attack transformations are done for :4pacman: the father of gaming going down into a far simpler model and :4kirby: having a heavy wind up, it doesn't make sense for such a low-demand veteran, clone or no, to get the work by Sakurai's team to have 5 models (Young, Deku, Goron, Zora, Fierce Diety) at this point of DLC work when it would significantly effect how the character plays and we saw the only change in :4mewtwo:'s moveset being tweaks to hitboxes and animations but with no new moves (barring final smash) and nobody cited any major changes in :4lucas:by his trailer. Unless :roypm: is ocnfirmed to have a significantly changed moveset, don't hold your breath on this idea. Our big changes to character movesets have been :mario2:'s F.L.U.D.D., the overhaul given to :4bowser: & :4zss:, and :4pit: - :4rob: having two special moves changed. When :4ganondorf: hasn't gotten an overhaul due to fan demand, I just can't see why Young Link would.

Young + Masked Link Chance - 10%

Young Link Want - 0%: In my eyes, the single cut veteran who offers the least to the game. :4tlink: is a more differentiated version of :younglinkmelee: with a different name due to the series itself taking a shift to where Child-like Links used the "Toon" design as a base.

Masked Link Want - 10%: At least it has some differentiation to it.

(Young + Masked Link Want)/2: 5%

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Young Link
Chance- 10%
Being a veteran goes for something.
Want- 10%
Being a veteran goes for something.

I actually liked Young Link, but with Toon around, we don't really need him. At all.
If he had some big move set changes, like the masks, I would be more welcome (though still not fully on board with three Links)… but does anyone really think that is going to happen? With the 3DS? And Lucas doesn't look like he's gotten that at much of an overall himself, right?
Admittedly, I'm talking about full on transformations, and not transformations regarding singular moves. Honestly, though, I still just don't see even that happening. It's my suspicion that if they are adding a character that could potentially have very little extra effort put into it… they're going to have very little extra effort put into it. I could be off base. But that's a reason I'd rather see characters that they simply can't clone.

As side notes, I feel like a lot of people still don't like Dark Pit or Dr. Mario. They've just found better things to talk about than complaining about these two characters all year long.
Also, unless I'm remembering it wrong, Paper Mario totally got slammed on his day by many raters for having too many Marios.

Dark Samus Predictions- 5%
Nominations:

Crono x5

there is a difference between forcing someone to change opinions and maybe making them think a little differently. Somethimes a 2nd opinion can change a lot.
I didn't say BluePikmin11 was trying to force others to change opinions. I'm sure he/she had some good counterarguments, but I think he/she should just let other people rate how their feel instead of trying to change their opinions.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Do you actually believe that someone will actually change his/her rating because you have "taken care of several arguments against Young Link"? Rating should represent rater's personal opinion about character's chances. You shouldn't persuade people to change their ratings because of your counterarguments.
Personal arguments behind a rating could very well be countered by that post.
If a user decided to give YL a five percent rating for having no ballot popularity and BluePikmin counters that notion then yeah, ratings can change.

Speaking about Ballot Popularity:

Time for Ad-Rant-Ure
Young Link has no ballot popularity

I get it, the ballot is a new thing and we're all going crazy about rigged polls (because no King K. Rool) and other Reddit stuff. The new perception is only popular characters get in and all retros, Wii Fit Trainers and other slightly out of left field stuff will never be in. Because of the ballot

But this is not the case.

Ballots like these have been done for Brawl and Melee too, and look at what happened there.
While the likes of Wario, Sonic and Diddy were in Brawl, the same goes for R.O.B, Pit and Pokémon Trainer.
Of course, the DLC might be geared a bit more towards popular characters, but there's still room for Young Link

And before you bring up "only six slots pre-ballot", that's bullcrêpe, It's entirely possible there's no "pre-ballot" and "ballot". The ballot is a suggestion box and I don't think that when October hits, everything changes to a "Popular-Pick-Paradise"

This wil be added to my post, which is a nice resource of debunked arguments, if I say myself.

Personal arguments behind a rating could very well be countered by that post.
If a user decided to give YL a five percent rating for having no ballot popularity and BluePikmin counters that notion then yeah, ratings can change.
Yes, I was probably too harsh in my post. Counterarguments can change opinions. I'm sorry if I offended someone.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Anyone who has been around the Character Discussion Thread for a while may know of my opinion regarding this Link and for those that don't.... well, let's just say I am not exactly optimistic regarding his chances. He was the only veteran that not only wasn't planned for Brawl, but outright replaced by a character who filled his niche to begin (:4tlink:). Long story short, Young Link has absolutely nothing going for him. 0% Chance

Want? We already have a child Link representing the playstyle Young Link had and his role that he represented, we don't need another one. 0% Want.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You may think you've provided satisfactory counterarguments, but why do think people will necessarily agree to the points you've stated?

Especially this:
The only Zelda characters that come to mind are Impa, Ganon, Tetra, and Toon Zelda. That's not fierce competition at all.
Are you being serious?

Let's just say the importance given to each factor (being a 3rd Link, likely to be a clone, generally un-requested)varies form person to person. I personally think these three factors together are enough that Sakurai won't consider bringing him back, but others do think differently.

Also, I've seen justifications like this (I don't want to point fingers, so I apologise if anyone is angered)
  • He's not relevant? So what? He's popular -> Good chance
  • He's not popular? So what? He's relevant -> Good chance
  • He does not seem very likely? So what? Sakurai is a troll. -> Good chance

Last edited:

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Young
Chances: .1%
I'm going to go under the assumption that returning veterans will be like Dr. Mario and Mewtwo, who had very little changed to their moveset. Ergo, if he gets in, Young Link will still be a clone.
In terms of pre-ballot DLC (or rather DLC independent from the ballot), I can't see him happening. While Sakurai has made his stance on clones pretty clear, I still feel for that for DLC he'll try to reduce the amount of clones released, and every DLC fighter revealed so far has been accompanied by some form of the phrase "back by popular demand". Young Link has simply not been receiving the support that other clones have, so, going off the assumption that there will be a limited amount of Pre-Ballot DLC, he's not going to be happening outside of the ballot. +0%

In terms of ballot DLC, it's been pointed out that the Ballot is a suggestion box, not a poll. While I'm sure that popularity will be some factor, uniqueness and feasibility are likely to be much more significant factors. Feasibility isn't an issue since I'm assuming young link is going to be a clone, but uniqueness will be. He's a clone of character that already has a clone. +0%

As a side note, while I don't exactly support him, I don't see Paper Mario being an equivalent to Young Link when it comes to uniqueness. Paper Mario still has plenty room to not be a full clone (with partners, the TYD equipment, Superguard counter, etc.), while, going under the assumption that this rating is under, Young Link doesn't. If you're going to be making that comparison, you can't be considering Clone!Young Link when doing so.

Basically, the only saving grace for Young Link that I can see is that he'd be an easy clone.
0% for preballot DLC, 0% for Ballot, +.1% for easy clone

Young link isn't my cup of tea.

Prediction: 2.12%

Nomination:
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Young
Chances: .1%
I'm going to go under the assumption that returning veterans will be like Dr. Mario and Mewtwo, who had very little changed to their moveset. Ergo, if he gets in, Young Link will still be a clone.
In terms of pre-ballot DLC (or rather DLC independent from the ballot), I can't see him happening. While Sakurai has made his stance on clones pretty clear, I still feel for that for DLC he'll try to reduce the amount of clones released, and every DLC fighter revealed so far has been accompanied by some form of the phrase "back by popular demand". Young Link has simply not been receiving the support that other clones have, so, going off the assumption that there will be a limited amount of Pre-Ballot DLC, he's not going to be happening outside of the ballot. +0%

In terms of ballot DLC, it's been pointed out that the Ballot is a suggestion box, not a poll. While I'm sure that popularity will be some factor, uniqueness and feasibility are likely to be much more significant factors. Feasibility isn't an issue since I'm assuming young link is going to be a clone, but uniqueness will be. He's a clone of character that already has a clone. +0%

As a side note, while I don't exactly support him, I don't see Paper Mario being an equivalent to Young Link when it comes to uniqueness. Paper Mario still has plenty room to not be a full clone (with partners, the TYD equipment, Superguard counter, etc.), while, going under the assumption that this rating is under, Young Link doesn't. If you're going to be making that comparison, you can't be considering Clone!Young Link when doing so.

Basically, the only saving grace for Young Link that I can see is that he'd be an easy clone.
0% for preballot DLC, 0% for Ballot, +.1% for easy clone

Young link isn't my cup of tea.

Prediction: 2.12%

Nomination:
*Concept: (Shin) Megami Tensei Character (includes Persona & Devil Survivor) x5

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
5%. Being the only character in Smash throw to have been stated to have been outright replaced is not very beneficial to his chances, even though he is a vet and has a smash fanbase.
This needs a source because I don't remember Sakurai outright stating this.

Now, there is the option of giving YL a MM moveset. Seems more likely, but Sakurai may not want to do that - it would alienate people who liked Melee YL (I think there's a bit of flak from having changed Pit a bit...) and it would still end up repelling people who don't want more of the same character in the game. This option seems like putting in a lot of work for a lose-lose situation.
Now, they could potentially revamp him to make him completely unique from Link and Toon Link... But then they are investing excess time and resources into making what is essentially a brand new character for a limited fan base. That's an inefficient use of the potential DLC has to offer.
However there is one issue...Masked Young Link may not work too well without Transformations, as he'd likely have 5 forms being himself, deku, goron, zora, and of course the Badassery of the Fierce Diety, but as stated, because of the removal of transformations (due to the 3DS limitations) Masked Young Link most likely won't happen especially due to the fact that he may have more transformations than pkmn trainer did, and we all know his fate in Smash 4...
There's also the somewhat common proposal of a mask-based moveset inspired from Majora's Mask's tranformations, but since those are complex model changes with many specific bones and animations (contrary to the likes of Stone Kirby or pizza Pac-Man) they may suffer from the same issue as pre-SSB4 Zelda-Sheik transformations, even if those aren't actual character swaps and just a model change for one move before returning to normal. Also considering how Dr. Mario, Mewtwo and Lucas went with the only changes in moveset being slight tweaking and balance, this seems very unlikely to happen.
Given with the recently released game and the free time he's been given with DLC, he could likely and easily take some inspiration from the game to use masks that act as temporary transform moves like Kirby's Stone attack, Pac-Man turning into his pizza shape form, and Sonic turning into his ball form, there are a load of examples of this. His non-special move attacks would likely remain the same, but with new moves to give him a new flavor that doesn't feel exactly like Toon Link's play style.

From, my moveset (which you can find below), The Side-B is basically the boomerang, only two small versions of them are thrown in the air. The Neutral-B remains the same. The only two moves that need adjusting would be his Down-B and Recovery. He's still the light-weighted somewhat powerful Young Link he's always been, only with a few new tools. It's not a drastic change to his playstyle really.
Look even in Punch Time Explosion, a Smash Bros. based game, can make a character transform temporarily into a large creature for a temporary while (Ben 10), this game even got a release on the 3DS too and teen Ben works just fine, this game has so many examples of transforming characters:
If this game can do it, so can Smash Bros., Young Link can work fine.

The least I expect is a few move changes for Young Link really because we never seen a complete revamp of a veteran before.

How many people (who aren't already fond of the character) would purchase them? On top of that, since Melee is so drastically different from Brawl and Smash 4, all they'd have for his code is a point of reference--he might not be "easier" to make at all, ruining the whole point!
He'd be easier with the fact that he already has an established moveset. :L
No offense but that's a pretty bad argument, I think you're grasping the straw here.

However...if there's anything the Smash fanbase hates, it's clones (unless it's a clone they're particularly fond of). The clones included in the base games get a pass since they're already there...but for DLC? If there's such a dislike for clone characters
He's a clone! The fanbases HATE clones they will react badly and salt will be poured!
This is a franchise that Sakurai has added similar characters on for each installment he made that he made on his spare time so he can increase play-time for many players. Sure, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario had gotten negative reception at first, but people got over it in days once the streams of Smash 3DS started rolling when all the characters got unlocked. The same will go for Young Link, people will hate it, but get over it eventually and buy him anyway to complete their rosters or not buy him at all if they don't like his inclusion. Sakurai wouldn't really care if the community reacted badly to it, his main focus would bringing him back so Young Link fans can be happy.

...Here's the thing, though. We have no precedent for DLC veterans getting revamped. Lucas remained a semi-clone of Ness, while Mewtwo stayed the same despite there being four more generations' worth of new attacks to draw from! And since Sakurai has gone on record saying he dislikes overhauling characters too much out of fear of alienating everyone who played them before...Masked!Link doesn't feel very likely.
There is no precedent sure, but his moveset and play style feels so similar to Toon Link unlike Pichu and many other clones, that it would kinda make sense to change a few moves so he can least have a differentiated play style. Again refer to the moveset argument above to see how it's not a huge overhaul.

You may think you've provided satisfactory counterarguments, but why do think people will necessarily agree to the points you've stated?

Especially this:

Are you being serious?
Is this the only particular argument that people are angry about?

He's not relevant? So what? He's popular -> Good chance
He's not popular? So what? He's relevant -> Good chance
Getting considered gives them a bigger chance than you think. If he's popular at the ballot, the character will get considered. If there a multitude of factors such as being a veteran or having a new game coming out, the character will likely get considered. It won't help them get a 100% chance, but it at least gives them a shot. It's that simple.

He's does not seem very likely? So what? Sakurai is a troll. -> Good chance
Sigh, it's not that Sakurai is a troll or anything, but it's the fact that Sakurai brings out a large diversity of characters that range from unrequested to requested that I have to give a fair chance to some characters, one moment you rate an unpopular character like Dr. Mario a low 1% the next few months, he gets leaked and confirmed for Smash. This is why I stay fair to every character I rate and not just give a low rating because someone is unpopular.

@ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon Still the majority got over Dark Pit's inclusion eventually, I know there's still toxicity, but it's more minimal than it was before.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Roy had a heavy amount of support and has proof of being planned to be in Brawl. His point was that there was not going to be much demand in the ballot, partially due to how similar Veteran Young Link is as a clone of Link and relative statistics to Toon Link.

Edit:

Given with the recently released game and the free time he's been given with DLC, he could likely and easily take some inspiration from the game to use masks that act as temporary transform moves like Kirby's Stone attack, Pac-Man turning into his pizza shape form, and Sonic turning into his ball form, there are a load of examples of this. His non-special move attacks would likely remain the same, but with new moves to give him a new flavor that doesn't feel exactly like Toon Link's play style.

The least I expect is a few move changes for Young Link really because we never seen a complete revamp of a veteran before.

He'd be easier with the fact that he already has an established moveset. :L
An moveset of out-dated model, animations, and data that'd have to be built from the ground up so he is no "easy clone."

There is no precedent sure, but his moveset and play style feels so similar to Toon Link unlike Pichu and many other clones, that it would kinda make sense to change a few moves so he can least have a differentiated play style. Again refer to the moveset argument above to see how it's not a huge overhaul.
It's an overhaul that is above the level that we've ever seen for a veteran. Your argument is that "His play style is so similar to Toon Link, he'd need to have move changed." Most people argue "His play is so similar to Toon Link, there's no reason for him to be brought back."

He's a clone! The fanbases HATE clones they will react badly and salt will be poured!
This is a franchise that Sakurai has added similar characters on for each installment he made that he made on his spare time so he can increase play-time for many players. Sure, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario had gotten negative reception at first, but people got over it in days once the streams of Smash 3DS started rolling when all the characters got unlocked. The same will go for Young Link, people will hate it, but get over it eventually and buy him anyway to complete their rosters or not buy him at all if they don't like his inclusion. Sakurai wouldn't really care if the community reacted badly to it, his main focus would bringing him back so Young Link fans can be happy. @ A Distant Demon A Distant Demon Still the majority got over Dark Pit's inclusion eventually, I know there's still toxicity, but it's more minimal than it was before.
Doc, Lucy, and DP were already done and then promoted as poorly-recieved gifts from the data already there.
Most people have grown to be fine with Doc, but there is STILL heat over Lucina and Dark Pit. How many Young Link fans have you seen outside of this site that have been upset with Toon Link being in the game that haven't "gotten over it" since Brawl? And how much do you think Sakurai is going to visit the idea when there has been this kind of outlash about the 3 "Outfit Clones," no matter how flash in the pan the worst was?

Getting considered gives them a bigger chance than you think. If he's popular at the ballot, the character will get considered. If there a multitude of factors such as being a veteran or having a new game coming out, the character will likely get considered. It won't help them get a 100% chance, but it at least gives them a shot. It's that simple.
Do you have any evidence that Young Link HAS been considered? Your evidence, as I've seen, has been "He's a veteran. His games got remade. He had to have been considered."

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Devil's Advocate. Roy is one of the most popular characters pre and post ballot
Roy had a heavy amount of support and has proof of being planned to be in Brawl. His point was that there was not going to be much demand in the ballot, partially due to how similar Veteran Young Link is as a clone of Link and relative statistics to Toon Link.
I highlighted the "clone of someone who has a clone" -part.
I know of Roy's popularity.

EDIT:
I hate the "all of the DLC characters thus far have..."
Because there are only two confirmed and two databumped, with these all being "pre-planned"

Four characters is no precedence enough to pull out a conclusion, especially if Ryu Hadoukens everything we thought to know out of the window.

So no "Can't sell" (Because who says there won't be DLC packs) "No popularity" (Because Ryu) or "No ballot support" (Because who even knows how the dang thing is going to work)

Heck, the analysing of the four characters helps Young Link, because 3/4 were veterans.

Last edited:

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
[Didn't expand the reply to see the highlighted part, give me a moment]

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Young Link:younglinkmelee:
Chances: 10% a lot of dumb people is wasting their votes on this character, they might believe that Sakurai will make him a flesh out new character, giving him mask (transformations?) and not just clonning him Again...

Want: f*cking 0%... we need more representation of other IPs, new characters, with diferent styles of combat... not another semiclone... Maybe in the next one we can get our dreamed Masked Link... but not this day...

Dark Samus
Prediction: "Maybe for the next one"% she is in the ":4littlemac: in brawl " sattus for me...

Noms:
Bub/Bob x5 :bubblebobble:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If you're trying to provide a rebuttal, please be less vague in the future.
I'm going to assume that Roy is being used as a rebuttal to the following part of my rating:

The reason why I didn't mention Roy, was that, as far as I know, we have no idea if Roy is going to be decloned (assuming he actually appears). He could be identical to his Melee appearance, while he could be entirely different. We just simply don't know.
I've made the choice to support my assumption using only things that I know for sure. Sure, the trend that I've observed can change in the future, but the fact still remains that it exists now.
Nuh man, I was responding to the "clone of clone" part.
Although your argument is a great pro-Young Link argument too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not denying that. But I really don't think being considered = good chance. Maybe it's your wording... because anyone reading your post would expect a 50% chance from you.

Sigh, it's not that Sakurai is a troll or anything, but it's the fact that Sakurai brings out a large diversity of characters that range from unrequested to requested that I have to give a fair chance to some characters, one moment you rate an unpopular character like Dr. Mario a low 1% the next few months, he gets leaked and confirmed for Smash. This is why I stay fair to every character I rate and not just give a low rating because someone is unpopular.
Thing is, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were packaged with the main game. People didn't have a choice to not have them.

Looking at the characters we're supposedly getting - Mewtwo. Lucas, Roy, Ryu - being popular does seem more essential than you think.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

From, my moveset (which you can find below), The Side-B is basically the boomerang, only two small versions of them are thrown in the air. The Neutral-B remains the same. The only two moves that need adjusting would be his Down-B and Recovery. He's still the light-weighted somewhat powerful Young Link he's always been, only with a few new tools. It's not a drastic change to his playstyle really.
Look even in Punch Time Explosion, a Smash Bros. based game, can make a character transform temporarily into a large creature for a temporary while (Ben 10), this game even got a release on the 3DS too and teen Ben works just fine, this game has so many examples of transforming characters:
If this game can do it, so can Smash Bros., Young Link can work fine.
That honestly has very little to do with the main point I was making in my statement.

I'm not sure why you quoted me.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Young Link

Chance: 18%

He's not one of the most supported out of all the cut veterans, but I'd at least give him a percent that's just slightly below 20%.

Want: 5%

I could probably name 3 other veterans that I'd prefer over him. At least he's not Pichu.

Prediction: Dark Samus

0%

As with any other promoted NPCs, I do not see Dark Samus becoming playable in Sm4sh. Maybe in Smash 5, but not in Sm4sh.

Nomination

DLC Characters promote games 5x

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm not denying that. I but I really don't think being considered = good chance. Maybe it's your wording... because anyone reading your post would expect a 50% chance from you.
But it's not a 50% chance is it.
Unless you think 50% really means it's a good chance of happening, I view that as going either way if they have notable factors that help their inclusion but have one obvious wall that prevents their inclusion from happening.

Thing is, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were packaged with the main game. People didn't have a choice to not have them.

Looking at the characters we're supposedly getting - Mewtwo. Lucas, Roy, Ryu - being popular does seem more essential than you think.
Yeah, but Ryu was the least requested out of all of them before he was leaked.
It doesn't matter if the character is unpopular, if the character can't sell, just simply package it with a popular character like Lucas. Not every newcomer is going to be a popular character, this is Sakurai were talking about, he'd likely still put a diverse selection of newcomers whether it be the base game or not, it's not a big difference and I see little to no reason why we should expect only popular characters from him.

That honestly has very little to do with the main point I was making in my statement.

I'm not sure why you quoted me.
It had to with moveset changing and how you think a moveset change doesn't work, that's the reason why I quoted you.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Oh boy, the arguments.

Young Link thing

Chance: 30%

Might be too generous/biased on this one, but as a cut clone in Melee, it is rather likely that those will get back, since we have quite a few Melee characters returning.

About "No three Links", we sorta have 3 Marios already... No? Afaik Luigi is still counted as a semi-clone of Mario, and then Dr Mario. So yeah. It's not like it's never been done before. One difference is that Luigi isn't considered a semi-clone of Dr Mario, while Young Link sorta does.

Also for the "no support", as someone who frequently lurks around polls, I'd say he DOES have support. In the big-ass poll where Shovel Knight is at the top, Young Link even had the same amount of support as Daisy.

Want: 70%

As much as I want all veterans to return.

Not necessarily interested in maining Young Link, but I would really like to see him coming back. He may be one of my favorite clone not counting Roy.

Prediction Dark Samus: 1%
Nah, maybe next time.

Nominations:
Slippy x4
Slime x1

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Oh boy, the arguments.

Young Link thing

Chance: 30%

Might be too generous/biased on this one, but as a cut clone in Melee, it is rather likely that those will get back, since we have quite a few Melee characters returning.

About "No three Links", we sorta have 3 Marios already... No? Afaik Luigi is still counted as a semi-clone of Mario, and then Dr Mario. So yeah. It's not like it's never been done before. One difference is that Luigi isn't considered a semi-clone of Dr Mario, while Young Link sorta does.
Luigi and Doctor Mario have their own gameplay niches they fill. Young Link and Toon Link fill the exact same niche.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
So it boils to not selling well, third link, alienating his moveset, and 3DS limitations eh, psst I already taken care of those arguments. You should read the rating again, there a load of arguments here that I have ttakenaken care of here. unless you got something valuable and new to counterargue that hasn't been said to Young Link before, though it would probably be something way similar to what I heard before like "that character would be counterproductive to sell" in an informative way, which I heard a billion times before and I haven't really changed my viewpoint of.

Star power...
Coming from the Zelda games who got the highest amount of critical praise, how can you not call that star power?

No it isn't, he may not have been planned in Brawl, but doesn't mean there's no other way Sakurai can consider him, look at the notable MM3D (that's still being advertised in commercials) and how Sakurai looks at upcoming games to start considering characters, that should really have Sakurai consider the idea of Young Link again.

Star power...

By star power, he does not really have much of a fan base that he reaches out towards. The divide between the more realistic, older Links and the more chibi younger Links is well documented. However, Young Link doesn't have a new fan base to appeal to. He also doesn't really have that pop and wow factor that makes one go "OMG must buy". There isn't much to draw people in. Link already is a composite of many Links throughout history, and Toon picks up the scraps. Many Melee players either dislike him or have moved on to Toon Link. Changing him would allinate older players, so what is he appealing to?

As for not being in Brawl, let us remember that he already stated that he dislikes cuts. So what made him not even attempt to try and bring him back? Many have made the notion that Toon replaced Young, which many see as reasonable. Sure he could consider him, just like he considered Chrom or Takamaru. Considered does not equal in.

Remember that at the end of the day, video game makers are people too, and they want as much money as everyone else. Sure, he could try to gamble on Young Link, or he could go with someone safe and be certain to get a big return.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Time to Counter the Counter-Arguments!

Veteran:

Probably the least demanded and least wanted veteran out there, considering the hate Pichu gets that's quite sad if you think about, but it's moreso what he brings to the table...which isn't much that isn't already here, as a former playable character, sure there are some that miss him but I personally don't remember too many people using Young Link to begin with...

A Third Link Doesn't Matter:
As stated in my rating, Having three of one character isn't an issue but when three of one character has almost the exact same moveset and similar playstyle, then it is an issue

But :4marth::4lucina::roypm:
First of all, they are not the same character, sure Lucina pretended to be Marth but she is still a different person...Second Lucina was added in the base roster and wasn't added in DLC, people didn't have to pay for her separately (though people still complained because people do not like clones to begin with)...Let's also Remember that Roy was one of the most requested veterans behind Wolf and Snake (the only reason we didn't rate him sooner was because of the votes freeze due to the leak), also Roy (who will be the one added as DLC, mind you) plays more differently than the other two by a long shot...or short shot....if you consider his gimmick...(there's also the fact that Sakurai seems to favour Fire Emblem)
Finally we still don't know if Roy will be the same as is or if he'll get upgraded to Semi-clone, some may argue that Lucas, Mewtwo, Dr. mario haven't been changed but consider these things...Dr. Mario was once again a last minute as he was in melee, and DLC was not considered at the time, Mewtwo resembles no one and requires little changes, Lucas's moveset differs enough from Ness already, once again there really isn't a need to change it...Roy on the otherhand will be the first clone of a cloned character on the roster, plus with Sakurai's preference for Fire Emblem he may feel more obligated to actually try to update his moveset...

Young Link will get an updated moveset too:
Are you sure? Both Toon Link and Ganondorf had more to work with and they haven't been updated...why? Because most players who are used to using these characters will feel alienated by their drastic changes...Sure I just countered my counter to a counter-argument there from my previous post, (Roy will most likely get the Ganondorf treatment which still stays true to his original moveset) fixed that problem....but the thing people need to consider is the options for Young Link...Masked young Link would function better with transformations, not as a more complex Pizza Pac-man or Kirby Stone...Especially considering how much time in Majora's Mask it took to transform, it would really feel like using a Masked Young Link if he literally just transforms instantly for just one move then back again, he needs to put on his masks first, he's not a shape changer like the mentioned Kirby and Pac-man, whos shapes don't really change all that drastically to begin with...I could expect characters like Shantae to implement a mechanic like this for their moveset, but not Young Link...Sure he could just use other items but so can Toon Link...

Relevance:
There are a bunch of other characters that are also relevant, some of these characters have a vast popularity, such as Inklings, Dixie Kong and possibly Wolf (another veteran) depending on his role in the new Star Fox game...We can't keep using relevance vs. popularity because sometimes characters that are both get snubbed and characters that are neither get added...It may up his chances a little bit but doesn't make him a lock...

Sakurai doesn't like cutting characters:
But yet here we are, talking about several veterans, including Young Link, and whether or not they will make it back, some won't...Sometimes Sakurai doesn't have a choice and a sacrifice must be made...yes time is an issue for making the game but that just means he didn't prioritizes these characters over making someone unique....which Young Link isn't...

Sakurai wants to bring as much DLC as possible:
By this logic then every character we rate will be DLC...Sakurai stated he has plans for DLC, yes, but he hasn't really stated what his plans are specifically, he already stated he's planning on certain game modes and other stuff, but nothing really specific about characters or cut veterans were stated...Vet Status does not give him a free ticket back into the line-up...

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
Nuh man, I was responding to the "clone of clone" part.
Although your argument is a great pro-Young Link argument too.
My internet is being really slow, so sorry for any confusion that this has caused.
But I digress.

I didn't exactly finish the 'clone of a clone' thought, so sorry. Marth, Lucina, and Roy are separate and distinct characters, while Link, Toon Link, and Young Link are, while technically different people, ultimately the same character. The biggest difference between Roy and Young Link is that Roy is going to be put in independent of the ballot, while Young Link is (in my eyes) definitely not going to be getting in pre-ballot, assuming that they are put in. In terms of priority, I see Young Link being within the bottom 3 or 4 veterans. (Edit: "3 or 4" previously said "3/4" which was more likely to be read as "three fourths")
I just highly doubt that Young Link is going to get in through the ballot either, since by nature of the ballot, they're considering fighters. I think that they'd be going for Unique with the ballot, and Young Link, as a clone, just doesn't cover it.

tl;dr, Roy is being put in pre-ballot because of popularity, while YL won't be because of lack of popularity. Through the ballot, YL will have to survive based off of uniqueness, which he's really, really lacking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom