• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Simon:

Chances: 25%

Want: 0% - don't really care

Masked Man - 12.5%

Nominations:

Vaati x5

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Simon:

Chances: 15%

Want: 90% - Even if it's just for the Castlevania music, I fully support Simon. A much better Konami rep than Snake at any rate.

Masked Man - 18%

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Simon's chances: 10%
Want: 30%

Masked Man prediction: 8%

Samurai Goroh x5

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Chance of Simon Belmont appearing: 10%
Basically, his only hope is for Snake to be cut, and even then it's not guaranteed he'll be in.

Chance of me caring about Simon Belmont appearing: 55%
He'd definitely be fun to play as.

Masked Man prediction: 7.95%

Nominate:
Shantae x3
Klonoa x2

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Simon Belmont
Likelihood: 1%
Want: 50% (Indifferent)

Masked Man
Prediction: 11%

Nominations:
Saki x5

Alban712

Smash Apprentice
Simon
Likelihood: 7% - 3rd Party, already have Snake, not that popular
Want: 30% - There are many more characters I would prioritize but he's, certainly, better than Mii and Pacman

Masked Man Prediction: 6,4%

Nomination: Lucas x 5

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Simon Belmont Chance: 2% He's third party and not nearly as requested as Megaman. Not to mention he doesn't fit as well into the smash universe.

Simon Belmont Want: 55% I'm a bit above neutral because he seems like he would have a very interesting play style. With that in mind I would want him much more if it weren't for the matter of him not belonging in Smash.

Masked Man Prediction: 8%. Many people don't really know who he is and honestly we have enough Earthbound reps.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Simon Belmont chance=5%

Simon Belmont want=65%

Playing with a whip/chain would be awesome. ZSS doesn't quite satisfy that playstyle. I enjoy playing as Ivy in SC, and Simon might be the closest that Smash could realistically get to that.

Masked Man prediction=2%

Nomination=5xVaati

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Chance: ~ 5% I sadly don't see it as very likely.

Want: 90% I would love both the music and the character! I think a long Range character would be interesting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Simon Belmont
Chance: 10%
As many have said before: Snake is a priority. I also believe that Bomberman overall is a more popular character than Simon these days.

Want: 50%
It'd be nice to have the cast of Captain N together in one game, but I'm not such a huge nostalgia fan of the show that he's top of my want list.

Masked Man: 4%
I don't see Mother getting another rep, but if it did I'd guess they'd do Ninten as a Luigified clone of Ness and Lucas.

Nominating:
Meowth X 3
Kamek X 2

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's very interesting to hear how (un)popular Bomberman is in Europe. You kind of forget that this community spans the world; different areas of the community bring different things to the table. Even so, one region may not break a character. We've seen the likes of Lucas and the Fire Emblem characters.

I didn't mean to imply that it would, I was just unaware of Bomberman's popularity overseas. I thought people where choosing him for his cutesy charm rather than his character, which I always countered with Marth, Samus and Link who aren't cutesy and fit perfectly fine. I'm now more aware of his popularity and accept he may have more of a chance than I gave him credit for, but I've not done the research to back up or refute this, so for now I was sticking to my guns, based on the information I do have. If Simon comes up for re-vote however I'll look into it more closely, and I'll do my research ready for Bomberman's voting day too.

Also further note we never got Earthbound, so Ness can be added to the list at the end there in europe.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Simon: sorry don't know who he is
Want: 0% he is an unknown 3rd party

Masked Man: 7%

x5 Chancellor Cole

Groose

Smash Champion
Simon's Chances: 10%
We simply don't know how third-parties work. Do they only get one appearance? If so, Snake's day is done and Simon is the logical choice to follow up with. Even so, he lacks fan demand and, more importantly, a personal connection to Sakurai.

Simon Want: 30%
I'd rather not see the roster inflated with third-parties, but Simon deserves the nod more than most.

Masked Man Prediction: 4.21%
Eh, I don't even think people will consider him to be the most likely Mother newcomer. And that is even if we get a Mother newcomer.

Nominations: Medusa x5
Those who lurk in the darkness must be made to face the LIGHT!

Oh, and I have to toss this out: apparently, there is a new form of Lucario that will be released in X and Y. So... looks like we still have some interesting Pokemon discussion somewhere down the line!

DAY OVER
RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
9.18% chance
44.43% want

People like Simon. They really do. However, the consensus seemed to be that he wasn't important and unique enough to warrant a coveted third-party spot. Even, he did perform admirably in the want category.

Today enters a character who may not be as well-known. He is the Masked Man, and he hails from the Mother franchise. Please leave your chance and want today on the Masked Man---and if you're uncertain of who exactly the Masked Man is, check out his support thread on this very forum.

Tomorrow we will be returning to Hyrule to score yet another villain. Please predict how Vaati will fare in tomorrow's game. Doing so can earn you extra nominations, like those won by Jaytalks. Have fun with the extra five!

And before I go... Mewtwo strikes back and has once again been added to the nominations list. Of note is that a new forme of Lucario was leaked today... could this impact Mewtwo's chances? We'll find out when he receives 100 votes for renomination.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Masked Man/Claus - 1.5% another Mother character won't happen unless the series gets localization and/or a new entry. In that case, they would probably draw from the newest protagonist.

predict: 16%

Lip x5

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Masked Man Chance: 10% He isn't very likely and the Mother series is perfectly represented with Ness and Lucas in many people's eyes
Masked Man Want: 90% Hell Yeah I want Claus! He would be super unique and badass to play as but I might cry if I'm forced to fight Lucas with him :,(

Vaati Prediction: 3% People still want this guy in?

Nomination: x5 Starfy (Hopefully in 2 days! :D)

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Masked Man
Likelihood: 15%
Lucas would have to stay in the game in order for Masked Man to make and appearance, that said I suppose he would be Mother's third rep, but I don't know if they will go that far...
Want: 75%
He does seem like a cool Smash worthy character, never played his game though.

Vaati
Prediction: 9.5%
again another character that needs an expandible character (Toon Link) to stay.

Nominations:
Saki x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Masked Man
I don't pretend to know enough about the Mother series to give a good guestimation, but screw it;
Chance: 9%
Not sure if Mother will get a third rep. At least not yet.
Want: 2%
Not played any Mother games so his inclusion doesn't add anything for me persay. I know a lot of people love Claus though.

Vaati: 3%
I liked Four Swords and all that, but he's unlikely now there's been other Zelda villains appearing in more recent games, and Ganondorf is pretty much a lock anyway. Also Toon Link isn't confirmed yet.

Nominations:
Meowth X3
Kamek X 2

D

Deleted member

Masked Man
Chances: 9%
I don't think that the Masked Man would be added as a third Mother/EarthBound rep. I personally believe that the series is well represented with Ness and Lucas. With that said, if there is a third EarthBound rep, it might be Ninten or a different character in the series.
Want: 56%
I liked the Masked Man in Mother 3, but I don't really support him. People might not want him since he is "just another sword user", but he does have potential. He could use his sword and use PSi attacks which is something not yet seen. With that in mind, I would be glad if he got in with those things alone.
Vaati Prediction: 3.7%
I don't think that this is really going to happen. He might get some high scores, but I am not expecting anything above 20%.
Nominations: Sonic 5x

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Masked man chance: 13%
Mother just doesn't seem important and popular enough to have three characters represented in Smash Bros.

Masked Man want: 12%
I could really care less if he wasn't included and there are many I would want before him.

Vaati prediction 22.22% he seems like he has a lot of potential moves and his final smash would look pretty.

Anthony Higgs x5

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Masked Man
Likelihood: 20% - I don't how popular he is, but bah, seems like a very requested character, I guess. However, we're probably not seeing a third Mother rep, and if we do, it's probably going to be Porky.
Want: 15% - Might be cool to play as, but I don't really care.

Vaati
Prediction: 10% - Ehhhh... he's awesome... but will he be likely?

Nominations:
Porky (x2)
Genesect (x2)
Meowth (x1)

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Masked Man's chances: 5% - I don't think Mother will get a new rep.
Want: 50% - Indifferent.

Vaati prediction: 9%

Samurai Goroh x5

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Masked man chances: 5% nintendo seems to really not want to continue this series at all, and 2 reps is probably going to be the limit

want 50%

Vaati: 10%

Nominations
Bomberman x5

Alban712

Smash Apprentice
Masked Man/Claus
Chance - 5% - Mother probably will only get 2 slots (maybe even one) and, even if it gets 3, it's not certain that it will belong to claus
Want - 80% - I love the Mother Series and think he will definitely be cool to play as

Vaati Prediction - 10,4%

Nomination - Lucas x 5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Masked Man

Popularity: Among Earthbound/Mother fans he has decent popularity. However, in Japan Kumatora seems significantly more popular. Among most people who aren't hardcore Smash fans, he's unknown. He also doesn't exactly top the Smash fan demand list.

Relevancy: He plays a very significant role in Mother 3.

Design: He does appear to use a weapon so that already would change him up quite a bit from Lucas, so he should probably be fairly unique. There are IMO some other, more deserving characters like Isaac and Takamaru that would mix swordsmanship with magic (PSI) or other projectiles though.

Roster and Competition: Earthbound is already the lowest selling series with multiple representatives. Like, by a wide margin. Many series deserve their first (Punch-Out, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Takamaru, Mii), second (Metroid, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, even Pikmin, Yoshi or Wario) or third rep (DK, Fire Emblem) before Earthbound gets a third, IMO. Combine that with the potential for the big series (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda) to get new reps and 3rd parties (Pac-Man or otherwise) and I don't see room for all of them, much less another Earthbound character. Sakurai would have to love love love the Mother series to give them another rep given all the characters he'd be cutting in line, imo. He had even considered replacing Ness with Lucas, rather than simply adding Lucas.

Not to mention there are other characters that could get in, such as Kumatora, Porky, Jeff or other playable characters. Porky I consider unlikely even among Earthbound reps because he doesn't ever fight outside of a large machine. But Kumatora is more popular in Japan and would add a female character. She does, however, have the same moves as Lucas considering Lucas stole them from her. So she'd either be a third Ness clone, or require them to de-clone Lucas with some of his actual moves. Jeff would definitely have his own moves though. Masked Man might be important enough and have fewer move set complications and therefore be considered the most likely Earthbound addition... but that isn't saying much.

The fact that Earthbound does have two reps is some evidence that Sakurai likes the series a lot. But enough to give them three reps? I dunno about that.

Masked Man chances: 0.9%
More than I would give to the other Earthbound characters. After thinking about the number of worthy reps out there and the limited room for new characters (definitely less than 15 imo), I probably should've downgraded some of my previous scores even further, and I'm one who tries to give more realistic (i.e. lower) scores in the first place. Anyway, I'd be quite surprised at there being another Earthbound character, so I should give him a score that implies that I'd be quite surprised. This is less likely than being dealt three-of-a-kind in five card poker but more likely than a straight.

Masked Man want: 43%
I don't hate him, but there are a number of other characters I want first. I haven't played Mother 3 yet though, so maybe that would change my opinion. I do love Earthbound, but I'd rather see Donkey Kong get K Rool and Dixie, for example. If it weren't for the limited space (i.e. we were getting a 50+ roster) I'd want him to join I think.

Vaati prediction: 10%
I'm gonna go higher than I think, since apparently even Simon Belmont can muster almost 10% (I love him, but he should've rated closer to 1%). Fact is we know there is maybe one slot for a Zelda newcomer (whether Toon Link stays or not) and Vaati has some stiff competition for that slot, if it exists.

Nominations:
5x Mike Jones

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Masked Man Chances: 65% - I've said all I have to say in the roster thread
You're going to drop such a high number (seems likely to be a huge outlier) and expect us to go find your justification for it? At least give a link to where your justification is.

And remember, your percentage here is supposed to be actual likelihood, so this means you think he's about twice as likely as not, and you'd be a little surprised if he didn't appear.

If you would be more surprised to see him than not, then his rating should be below 50%.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Masked Man
Likelihood: 10% As much I love the Mother series, I seriously doubt they're going to get a new rep. If for some reason they happened to get a new character, I feel like Porky or Ninten would be more obvious choices. And, as much as it hurts me to say this, but I don't think Mother deserves 3 reps. I love the series, but the two we have right now nicely represent the popular games.
Want: 90% I know it'll never happen, but the Masked Man is one of my favorite video game characters ever, plus he'd have a really awesome move set. I think he'd have a pretty unique playstyle too. However, due to limited spots on the roster, I would be kind of upset if he got in over someone else who really deserves a spot, such as *cough* Isaac *cough*.

Vaati: 9%...? I don't play LoZ, so I don't even know who this is or his/her likelihood...

Nominations:
Lucas x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Masked Man:

Likelihood: 5% - As much as I don't like it another Mother rep is very unlikely.

Want: 65% - I'd enjoy his inclusion, but he's far from my favorite Mother character, he actually kind of fell flat to me throughout the game, but that's for another thread. We also already have a winger man with a sword, and we have two people with arm cannons. Still giving him 65% says something about my love for the Mother franchise.

Vaati Prediction: 3%

Nominations:
5x Ridley

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
You're going to drop such a high number (seems likely to be a huge outlier) and expect us to go find your justification for it? At least give a link to where your justification is.

And remember, your percentage here is supposed to be actual likelihood, so this means you think he's about twice as likely as not, and you'd be a little surprised if he didn't appear.

If you would be more surprised to see him than not, then his rating should be below 50%.
It's in my sig.

I really don't care enough to make a huge reply to the post. I think I put his rating lower there and on another site, but it's a goddang rate their chances.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It's in my sig.
You should make it clear that's where it is. You could've quoted that thread as well.
I really don't care enough to make a huge reply to the post. I think I put his rating lower there and on another site, but it's a goddang rate their chances.
Well yeah, this thread is just for fun... but why bother spending any effort on trying to predict then, if you don't care enough to even think about what greater than and less than 50% mean? The goal is to at least try to approximate the truth, not correspond "plausible" with 65% which actually means "fairly likely".

Anywho, I'll just chalk up your inflated rating to fanboyism.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Well yeah, this thread is just for fun... but why bother spending any effort on trying to predict then, if you don't care enough to even think about what greater than and less than 50% mean? The goal is to at least try to approximate the truth, not correspond "plausible" with 65% which actually means "fairly likely"..
Really? I thought the goal was just to have fun. Why not bother? It takes no effort to spill up a number; even I've admitted that in "The Probable Character Roster" - Anyone can do it.

Yeah, 65% is abit high, I'll agree on that, but it's not anywhere near fanbias, especially since we all have different ways for doing ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom