• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Okay, let's see.

My most hype-inducing moment was Mega Man's trailer at E3. The Villager trailer preceding it was great too, but there wasn't much that completely wowed me. On the other hand, the cinematics in Mega Man's trailer simply blew me away. The scene where Mega Man threw the metal blades at Mario and Link, with Mario narrowly dodging one, and the other clashing against Link's shield literally sent a chill down my spine. I was sitting in my chair, staring at the screen in awe and wonder, left completely speechless.
The day the trailer was actually shown, unfortunately, there was a power outage at my place. It felt terrible that I couldn't enjoy the E3 reveals with the rest of my friends across the internet. That urge to see the trailer just doubled the joy when I was finally able to watch it the next day.

I'd give an honourable mention to Rosalina's reveal. The Mario series is very close to my heart as it is the series I spent most of my childhood with. My uncle had bought an NES just a few months after I was born, and I have a lot of memories of SMB and SMB3 from my childhood. Later on, when I moved on to PC gaming, playing all the mature FPS games like everyone else did, it was the Mario series that brought me back into console gaming. Granted, it was just an emulated game (Super Mario 64, infact), but I gave me an urge to dive deeper into Nintendo's world. If I hadn't stumbled upon that game that day, I most likely won't have been here now. So, I really wanted a Mario newcomer in this game. I was pretty neutral on all of them as none really stood out to me, and Sakurai took me by surprise with Rosalina, both because of her selection and her moveset.

I don't really have any really deflating moments to be honest. I'm quite content with the character selection at this point, and none of my most wanted characters have been disconfirmed. If going by immediate reactions, my most deflating moment wasn't too far off, funnily enough. It was Wii Fit Trainer's reveal. I honestly lost my mind for a minute or so. My mind was just filled with "Who the heck is she?", "Why her of all characters?" and "What was Sakurai thinking?!". Though I must admit, that the Developer Direct soon after warmed up me a lot to her inclusion. Now I think that her inclusion makes sense, and she represents a more casual side of Nintendo that not many care about despite their sales.

The other one would be the day Peach was revealed. No animosity against Peach, but one of the pictures had Toad, discomfirmed again, reduced to a move for the third time. Unlike many other Toad supporters, I realized Toad was done for, and the pic commemorating SM3DW was hardly a surprise to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most Hyped Moment: The Mega Man reveal, because (1) I wanted him in, but wasn't expecting his inclusion (it was just a hunch; not because Capcom has barely done anything with the Blue Bomber since Keiji Inafune's departure), and (2) I like the choice of special weapons. Definitely much better than his lackluster moveset from Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2.

Rosalina and Little Mac are honorable mentions. The fact that they were more likely than Mega Man makes them less hyped than him. If Shulk joins the roster as well, then he'll be on the same boat as Rosalina and Mac.

Least Hyped Moment: The lack of a story mode. I actually enjoyed The Subspace Emissary in Brawl, but even I think it needed some improvement.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Most Hyped: Wii Fit Trainer. Nuff Said.

Least Hyped: The Bumper. I didn't like it that much in Brawl, but having it deconfirm a beloved item of mine is salty.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My most hyped moments

Toon Link and Rosalina reveals.
Toon Link has always been my most wanted character for Brawl as Wind Waker was one of my most favourite games of all time so I was very excited to find out when he was shown to be an unlockable character in that game.

As for Smash Bros 4, I never really believed very much in the whole Spirit Train debacle that everyone and their mother kept bragging on meaning that "Toon Link was definitely cut" especially when Sakurai stated that no characters had been cut so far and his feelings in regards to character cuts and how he didn't want to deliberately cut anyone. Then there was the fact that Toon Link was a very popular and well liked character in Japan and the fact that Conductor Link had a major design differences indicating that there was just as much chance of Toon Link coming back as there was that he would be cut, but yet the majority kept acting like it was only a one way street.

So yeah, when he was revealed to return on the Japanese release of Wind Waker HD I was completely ecstatic and overjoyed to see that he returned and wasn't replaced by another child Link or just deliberately removed. I'll be looking forward to playing as him again in the new games.

As for Rosalina, she was one character I would have really liked to see in the game as I quite enjoyed her appearance in the Mario games but I never really thought she had much of a chance to appear as a playable character in the Super Smash Bros series, plus I thought the likes of Toad and Bowser jr where more likely. So I was completely blown away when it was revealed that she was actually chosen as the fifth Mario character. She looks incredibly exciting to play as too so if she's a starter, she will probably be the first character I'll be playing as (unless another character I support more shows up and is also a starter)

As for less hyped moments.

I admit, I don't really have any that I can recall. So far any character I really support has yet to be disconfirmed and and there has yet to be any confirmed ones that disappoint me. Also any gameplay or stage choices have been pretty cool with me. I'm even cool with the Wii Fit Trainer.
I guess the closest thing is probably the fact that Layton has a pretty low chance of actually making it into the game... :/

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't understand Toad fans having their deflated moments as Rosalina...
Wouldn't it just be... Toad confirmed as part of Peach?
Not trying to be a bother... I'm just surprised as I don't think anybody has said this yet...
It's not Rosalina's fault that Toad didn't make it. Blame Peach for not letting him go :p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Not trying to be a bother... I'm just surprised as I don't think anybody has said this yet...
It's not Rosalina's fault that Toad didn't make it. Blame Peach for not letting him go :p
No. Because, despite Toad's being a part of Peach, plenty of us were still arguing that he could be playable. Since there are multiple toads, having Peach use one while having another playable still makes plenty of sense.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Most Hyped Moment: I'm going to go outside the box and choose the Palutena leak. There was over 65 pages worth of hype, debate, and discussion. The hype was so strong that we spun so off-topic that everyone started posting Spongebob gifs and waifus. I personally got over 100 likes in like 5 hours. This forum literally exploded. Only extreme hype could produce this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/page-127
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/page-128
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/page-129
http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-rumours-and-leaks.338842/page-130
If you have not laughed today, you need only to click on those links.

Most deflating Moment: Pic of the Day
The first week of Pic of the Days was pretty disappointing especially considering we just came off the hype from E3.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Don't really have a hyped moment yet, I guess you could say the announcement of the unbelievable Smash direct got me extremely hyped.
Most deflating moment: Nintendog Disconfirmation. :(

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Most hyped: Little mac's reveal. Not only did it give us a cool character, but I won a $10 bet with a friend over it :)
least hyped: The lack of anything funny on April Fool's day. I was expecting something along the lines of the home-run bat pic at least.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So... we're going to rerate BWD?
Hopefully this time we'll see moderation on both sides, no counterrates (Chandelure, Brawler610, Me, etc.). My rating is already locked, and it's not even half of the last one. Gonna be a bit more realistic (read: a lot) and hopefully we all can be.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So... we're going to rerate BWD?
Hopefully this time we'll see moderation
on both sides, no counterrates (Chandelure, Brawler610, Me, etc.). My rating is already locked, and it's not even half of the last one. Gonna be a bit more realistic (read: a lot) and hopefully we all can be.
Hopefully.
I will not rate him with 80% or 70% this time (even when nothing has changed), but I don't want to see 5%,10% or even 0% from some people.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh yeah, while it may not matter at all, I forgot to mention the Toon Link and the Palutena leak as honourable hype moments.

Toon Link because he was my main in Brawl after Sonic. I was part of the group that said he wouldn't be in because of the Spirit Tracks stage, but I was glad to be wrong about it. While I was disappointed that they didn't differentiate him a a bit more from Link, I couldn't complain, as I played really well with him in Brawl (for a time, I was better with him than I was with Sonic, as Sonic is difficult to master). I was also hyped for Wind Waker HD, as I never completed the original. Wind Waker has become my favourite Zelda game because of it's HD release though, and this is partly because Toon Link, specifically the one in Wind Waker, is my favourite Link.

As for the Palutena leak, I still have not played Uprising, but what I've seen of Palutena in it makes her look like a character I'd love (and it helps that she's voiced by Ali Hillis). But because those screenshots STILL have not been proven fake, I find the possibility that they are real to be exciting. A real Smash leak is something I'd find amazing.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
My most hype inducing moment is (to no one's surprise)

MEGAMAN'S REVEAL!!!!!!
Yeah everyone saw that one coming but seriously when I got to see Megaman's trailer (I only had time to view it once, but I'll get to that in a bit) I exploded!!!!! As I was beating up the furniture, everyone looked at me like I was crazy. But really when I saw Megaman throw his Metal Blades at Mario and Link I just...I just could not believe it!!!! The feeling of Mario and Link actually confronting Megaman in an OFFICIAL Nintendo made game me....there are no words in the English language to give that feeling justice, and I would know as I'm an English graduate. It was like overwhelming - like winning the lottery AND the grand prize of a game show at the same time! That is the best way I can describe it. For the next.. no..even NOW I find myself shouting "MEGAMAN'S IN THE GAMMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!". The support me and my old Megaman thread pals gave finally paid off and it was great! It felt like a seven year battle finally ended in victory! For the Megaman community, it was the most epic day after years of disappointment from Capcom and a grand victory to be had for Megaman fans across the globe!!!!! But for Sakurai, it was Tuesday.

Now my most deflating moment was....

ALSO MEGAMAN'S REVEAL!!!!!!

Betcha' didn't see that one coming did ya'? You are probably thinking "Wait Aqua.....wuuutttttttt????" Well to be honest I had to grasp straws for this and the deflation was ultimately minimal in hindsight, but I had a moment similar to Falkoopa's. See two days before E3, my modem went out and I was unable to get my internet connection back until that following Wednesday. So how did I see the trailer then? Well, I had relative come over and inspect the internet connection and he allowed me to browse the internet with his phone. As I mentioned earlier I only had time to view the trailers once before he left.

This is important because I was not able to log on and celebrate with my comrads. Aside from actually playing the character in the game, what I looked forward to the most from Megaman's confirmation was celebration in the Megaman Thread. I remember when Sonic was confirmed for Brawl - I was abit envious that the whole message board showered his thread and his supporters with congratulations and vehement cheer. That was something I DESPERATELY wanted to feel during Megaman's confirmation. I was even thinking about preparing a victory speech for the occasion. But I was denied that celebration...and I was enraged that I was not able to bask in the glory with my fellow Megaman fans, old and new....

My most hype-inducing moment was Mega Man's trailer at E3. The Villager trailer preceding it was great too, but there wasn't much that completely wowed me. On the other hand, the cinematics in Mega Man's trailer simply blew me away. The scene where Mega Man threw the metal blades at Mario and Link, with Mario narrowly dodging one, and the other clashing against Link's shield literally sent a chill down my spine. I was sitting in my chair, staring at the screen in awe and wonder, left completely speechless.
The day the trailer was actually shown, unfortunately, there was a power outage at my place. It felt terrible that I couldn't enjoy the E3 reveals with the rest of my friends across the internet. That urge to see the trailer just doubled the joy when I was finally able to watch it the next day.
I know how you feel, man. :) If it's any consolation you still have your most wanted character to look forward to. For me, Megaman was it. That initial surge of excitment for my favorite character being revealed and sharing the joy with my fellow supporters along with everyone else's energy is something I will never get to experience.

But of course, the important thing is Megaman is finally playable in Super Smash Bros. and I for one am highly grateful to Sakurai and his staff! The Megaman fans finally can relax and the naysayers can finally, as Johnknight once put it, "drink from the tap of losers." =)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, seeing all of these Mega Man memories reminds me...

Another reason why I was a bit gutted at the confirmation of no story mode was because of Mega Man himself.

Forgetting about the idea of Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man clashing and teaming up within an actual story mode, there was one other key reason.
The fact there is no story mode means the Adventure Mode we get has a greater chance of ending up like Melee's, rather than being a meaty set of levels.

This bothered me though, because when Mega Man was announced, and when I saw how similar his movements were to his actual games, I had a thought - "if we get a spiritual successor to SSE, it will double as a new Mega Man game!".

It's silly I know, but after having Capcom not taking advantage of the Mega Man IP on HD consoles, I thought that a full scale Smash Adventure Mode would basically be the next gen Mega Man game I wanted to play. I'm now worried this will not come to pass.

I suppose the Rosalina reveal did this too. There were a few characters I wanted to see her interact with in a story mode.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Most Hyped: a combination of Villager's reveal and the cinematic of Mega Man's throwing Metal blades with that awesome Dr Wily's Castle remix playing, crashing off Link's shield - took my breath away, and Little Mac's reveal.

Least: Wii Fit Trainer - still don't think I'm gonna play her much. Doesn't interest me.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
man its been a while since I posted here. . .oh well
most hype moment:
untitled.png

when it boils down to it, what I want from this game is basically the brawl characters added along with the rest of the vets added in with a much better gameplay, basically something that project m did,
so in other words I want no cuts, period. and before his reveal there was a lot of worry from sakurai's quote stating that all the characters will not make it back in, I was worried plenty about cuts being made. then randomly (or at least it was for me, I didn't join this site then to know what was going on) on September 26th here popped out toon link, the most unprioritize veteran, and even being part of the back ground for a stage leading many to him being gone, was confirmed,
not only was I happy that my second favorite character in smash was confirmed, but his reveal proves the otherwise doubt that many of the so called cut characters would be left out for other newcomers. gave me hope for my otherwise favorite characters that apparently had a good chance to be cut (i.e. wolf, ike, PT)
its basically his reveal that put me on permanent hype train for this game.
also, I know this isn't part of the topic. . . but. . . .

I want this to happen. . . .

most deflating moment:
in all honestly . . . I don't think I have one, I mean there really wasn't a moment where I felt dissatisfied with the game and updates, nothing has displeased me, and everything going well,
though there is one moment where I felt deflated of hype:

yes yes very petty I know, but in all honesty it was the only time I felt really disappointed (plus you know I was only around for like two days when it happened, I was a pretty spirited guy)
back then we were all on the pokemon hype train and went banza with everything, and all clambering for the moment of truth and in return we got. . . a picture of wii fit trainer lying down. . .
it was a bit wrenching at the time and to all of us with hype overload. . . well it was disappointing,
I hope this counts, because if not, then I really have no hype deflating moments

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Most Hyping Moment: Little Mac Reveal.
I freaked out when I saw this. Little Mac wasn't one of my most wanted characters, but this trailer was EPIC! I probably watched it ten times that day and once or twice every day after for about a week. IT WAS SO HYPE! This is by far the best character reveal yet. I know that he will be one of my mains even if he sucks.
Most Deflating Moment: Rosalina + Luma Reveal.
This was pretty cool at the time... Kind of... But as time passes it gets more and more irritating. How could an unimportant character like Rosalina get in before Toad, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, and Paper Mario? She wasn't even as popular as any of them. She is bound to be broken or top tier like Olimar + Pikmin and the Ice Climbers. Not to mention I loved Bowser Jr. and this basically ruined his chances.
Honorable Mention: Wii Fit Trainer Reveal.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
The Most Hyping Moment was the Little Mac reveal trailer. I was confident he was going to be in after seeing the Boxing Ring at E3. Kept telling myself "just a matter of time." The timing was right too, I though for sure Dixie would steal the show or someone else I am neutral on. But nope, it was Mac, my second most wanted newcomer. The music was perfect, Doc Louis's narration was hilarious and he plays just how I thought he might. He also gives me hope for another mostly western wanted newcomer who I want to see.

Megaman's was a close second though. There's a bit of a story to this one. I'm not a big Megaman fan, but one of my friends is. I didn't think he would be in, as Capcom does not seem to care about him. I was luckily proven wrong. The trailer was amazing and really captured the classic Megaman spirit.

Most Deflating Moment hasn't really happened yet. It might come on Tuesday, depending on what Sakurai shows. Wii Fit Trainer is the most inferior moveset wise of the newcomers so far, and Rosalina was unbelievable and took away from Bowser Jr. or Toad who I wanted to see, but the moveset potential is good. I would say that the drought of info between Sonic and Marth was the most hype deflating moment. At least in March we got a stage or item every week.

andimidna

Smash Master
No. Because, despite Toad's being a part of Peach, plenty of us were still arguing that he could be playable. Since there are multiple toads, having Peach use one while having another playable still makes plenty of sense.
Hmmm... I think Toad already appearing in the game as a move is a better argument against his chances than a different Mario character being playable.
There's no logical reason the move would have stayed if Sakurai wanted him to be a playable character. However 6 Mario characters isn't out of the question.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Most hype: Original E3 reveal+first 3 newcomers
I hadn't really been following E3 too closely, until I saw a bunch of people on vidya websites discussing Mega Man and Wii Fit. That's how I learned that the first SSB4 trailers had been released.
Also, some of Sakurai's comments when deconfirming characters, and the reactions to such, are pretty funny.

Least hype: Most of the veterans I thought would be cut have already been confirmed to return
Not exactly a negative thing, but Sakurai did say that roster space was limited.
A bit unrelated, but the main place besides Smashboards where I discuss the game has sharply declined in quality since last June.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The one thing that let me mostly get over it was that it's a simple addition that wouldn't take much time. However, that is largely because the character is boring. Sure, Wii Fit is a series that has sold well, but almost no one who plays it will care about a character in Smash Bros. My opinion of her started at rock bottom, then raised slightly, but after seeing other negative opinions of her in this thread, I have to agree she's a really lame newcomer.
Well, her Final Smash is boring. And her basic attacks don't involve a lot of flashy effects, just regular arm and leg strikes, basically.

I mean, she's not inherently any more boring than Marth or Little Mac. Marth doesn't do anything aside from attack with a sword, and even his specials are just variations on that same theme. The same for Little Mac and punches. Their specials have different attributes, but flying slash/twirling punch, counter slash/punch, super strong stab/punch, series of slashes and forward sliding punch don't seem to me to be that exciting. Hula hoop jump, soccer ball header, mysterious solar power and deep breathing (whatever that does) seem much more interesting to me, honestly.

(I also don't know why you think she wouldn't take a lot of time to make... her model is relatively simple not requiring moving cloth or fur, but her moves are all original and her specials aren't especially simple... balancing her won't be any easier than balancing Fox or Marth or whoever, either).

I get that she's boring as a character, but I don't get why people are giving her moveset ****. It's not based around a gimmick like Rosalina (Luma) or Mega Man (projectiles!) and she doesn't have any other gimmick known of (like Little Mac's power meter), and she's not as zany as Villager... but I don't want every character to be THAT out there. She's got a perfectly fine moveset, only the Final Smash seems bad to me. I think she has quirky animations and an interesting moveset, and I'm looking forward to trying her out, personally.
I agree. Rosalina didn't do anything to Toad. Sakurai did, and he did it back in Melee when he made him a part of Peach's moveset.

It seems clear that Sakurai was never going to make Toad playable, and if it hadn't been Rosalina it would've been Bowser Jr, or Waluigi, or Paper Mario, or no Mario newcomer. I really, really doubt that Toad was next in line until Sakurai considered Rosalina, or the higher-ups said to promote Rosalina for whatever reason, etc. etc.

andimidna

Smash Master
...How could an unimportant character like Rosalina get in before... Waluigi?
Hmmm... yea, Waluigi's large array of main series appearance totally take precedence over Mario's new shining star.
She wasn't even as popular as any of them.
Except on Miiverse, where she is more popular than all of them :p
She is bound to be broken or top tier like Olimar + Pikmin and the Ice Climbers.
She's big and light. She's not that strong. And neither of those 2 were broken, they were just top tier.
This is false.
Not to mention I loved Bowser Jr. and this basically ruined his chances.
Not really. And it's not fair to compare characters like this. Although if there's only 5 Mario characters: Bowser Jr simply wasn't chosen to be in the game.
It's not like Bowser Jr won't get in because Rosalina did.
Rosalina got in because he didn't.
It's hard to explain, but it's unfair to compare the 2 like that...

Rosalina gets a lot of undeserved hate on SmashBoards (yet nowhere else for some reason)
Sure, if this was your least hyped moment than this was your least hyped moment.
It's just that a lot of what's said about her is false and comes from being biased towards the 4 you mentioned (and even a couple times, Daisy)...
Seems unfair. Her moveset is the most unique so far. This wouldn't be the case for the other characters.
And her character is so well-developed... how could someone not like this?
But whatever. Keep on hating.

Smady

Smash Master
Well, her Final Smash is boring. And her basic attacks don't involve a lot of flashy effects, just regular arm and leg strikes, basically.

I mean, she's not inherently any more boring than Marth or Little Mac. Marth doesn't do anything aside from attack with a sword, and even his specials are just variations on that same theme. The same for Little Mac and punches. Their specials have different attributes, but flying slash/twirling punch, counter slash/punch, super strong stab/punch, series of slashes and forward sliding punch don't seem to me to be that exciting. Hula hoop jump, soccer ball header, mysterious solar power and deep breathing (whatever that does) seem much more interesting to me, honestly.

(I also don't know why you think she wouldn't take a lot of time to make... her model is relatively simple not requiring moving cloth or fur, but her moves are all original and her specials aren't especially simple... balancing her won't be any easier than balancing Fox or Marth or whoever, either).

I get that she's boring as a character, but I don't get why people are giving her moveset ****. It's not based around a gimmick like Rosalina (Luma) or Mega Man (projectiles!) and she doesn't have any other gimmick known of (like Little Mac's power meter), and she's not as zany as Villager... but I don't want every character to be THAT out there. She's got a perfectly fine moveset, only the Final Smash seems bad to me. I think she has quirky animations and an interesting moveset, and I'm looking forward to trying her out, personally.
She has a unique playstyle among the newcomers but there are many other more deserving characters who would've been just as good, or in most cases a lot better. Her model and lack of expression mean she wouldn't take long to implement - just look at how they made her a male costume - it was a simple case of adding the model and making her do some yoga poses for attacks. It is boring, in my opinion. There isn't much else more boring to me than a character who does poses for practically all of their attacks.

I also don't mind if a character isn't "based around a gimmick" or "out there," but there are plenty of other better characters who fit the criteria that aren't Wii Fit Trainer, AKA a generic avatar for a fitness game. It loses its shock value fast and I can see myself ignoring it as a character after a long time playing Smash 4, it doesn't appear to me as a fun moveset that will stand the test of time. That's just me, though, I'm surprised someone decided to take grievance with my post, just for saying WFT is boring.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I personally don't mind whether people hate on WFT or Rosalina (even though it does amuse me Rosalina is so polarizing), but what I do fail to understand is why people are talking about tiers already as a reason to hate on Rosalina.

Dude, game isn't even out yet and they're probably still doing some balancing. Why are we talking about tiers like they already exist? And what if Rosalina and Luma were indeed top tier? How does that kill hype? Not to mention that all newcomers shown so far have strong qualities and we could make arguments for them being broken ... WFT's insane reach for her smashes; Mega Man's projectile spam; Villager's versatility to paralyze, block spaces with trees, absorb items and projectiles, and excellent horizontal recovery; and Little Mac's absurd speed, power (insta-KO move) and invincibility frames and a counter to boot.
Heck, if anything, I'd argue right now Rosalina seems to be the hardest one to imagine being top tier considering how comparatively tough she seems to master.

Groose

Smash Champion
I think this day was officially my best idea ever. I've had so much fun reading everyone's stories, and it's really got me pumped up and feeling that sense of community. I'll be posting my stories as soon as I finish typing them up, and then we'll move onto the next day.

Also, let's try not to get too far off topic now. I'll have the next thing for you to discuss in like an hour or so.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I personally don't mind whether people hate on WFT or Rosalina (even though it does amuse me Rosalina is so polarizing), but what I do fail to understand is why people are talking about tiers already as a reason to hate on Rosalina.
Because they want their main to be top tier obvs. :p

I kid I kid.

Seeing a lot of these stories is really interesting. It's cool to see how differently we all reacted to the same moment.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Most hype moment: Little Mac's reveal trailer. I'm way more excited for Mega Man and Rosalina (I didn't even really care about Little Mac) but his reveal trailer was so epic, and excellent, and well put together that it blew me away.

Most deflating moment:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Most Hyping: E3 trailer especially when Villager caught Mario with his net. Love Animal Crossing so that was wonderful news to me. The clips with his gameplay hyped me even more, I mean, look at dat tree! :surprised:

Most Deflating: Skull Kid as an Assist Trophy, he was my most wanted Zelda Newcomer with Vaati being near. After those two, I hate the other character possibilities.

Groose

Smash Champion
I feel like @MorbidAltruism because I've liked essentially every post on the last two pages. Thanks for making this Day great, guys.

Most Hyping Moments:

Honorable Mentions:
Game Announcement, Smash Direct Announcement, Rosalina Reveal

#3: Palutena Leak
It was snowing the day of the Palutena leak. School was cancelled, and I had the day to myself. I did my morning routine of checking for the Pic of the Day... and happened upon this Palutena leak. I definitely think Palutena would be a good character, and that leak is do darn convincing. Something about spending three or four hours that day trying to disprove it really, really got me excited for some reason.

#2: E3 Direct
Ah, how this one brings back memories. I had school that day, and I wasn't able to watch the Direct live. As soon as that bell rung, I was outta there, and the first thing I did was come home and watch the Direct. I was most interested in Smash, but I decided that I would go for watching the full experience. 3D World didn't impress me, Kart was at my expectations, DK looked pretty darn good, X looked awesome... but I was waiting for Smash the entire time. When it came, that trailer got me so pumped. Seeing that an Animal Crossing character was getting in (something I had really wanted) was exciting, as was seeing all of the new stages and the epic slideshow of franchise. Then Mega Man came through, and I had another character to be really freaking excited about!

After the Direct, I rushed to Smashboards and lurked a lot before pushing through and making an account. It was great decision, and I have the E3 Direct's hype to thank for that. Still, I have one moment that sent my hype into an even higher level.

#1: Little Mac Reveal
It was snowing that day, just like with the Palutena Leak. School had been cancelled because the roads were really, really bad, and I had the day to myself. I spent the entire morning shoveling snow, and by the time I finished, my body was ready. I spent the afternoon reading through Smashboards and GAF hype threads, and I was on the hype train... or I would have been, if I wasn't pretty confident that we would see a Diddy/Dixie team. Knowing that such a thing could only hurt my most wanted, I was kind of dreading the Direct.

The time of the Direct rolled around. I vividly remember listening to "Can You Feel the Sunshine" right before the Direct came on and hoping that we would see something that would actually make me feel the sunshine. ...and oh did we see something. From the very first note of that trailer, I was hooked. It was Little Mac, and he was training for Smash! He was owning everyone! He was so freaking fast! The trailer itself and the community reaction were amazing, and I can't wait until we can all get another instance where we can all be that joyous.

...I'll be listening to that song before Tuesday's Direct, too. I'm superstitious.

Most Deflating Moment:
N/A. Some moments have been mildly disappointing (Toad, Wii Fit Trainer, Roster Size Comments), but none have really deflated any of the interest I have for the game. At this point, I don't think anything will.

I do like some surprises, but I believe it was Groose that said she seemed like too much of a surprise, and I agree.
I said something along those lines. I think it was, "I prefer my surprises to be characters that people want but don't expect." Nobody wanted the Wii Fit Trainer before her confirmation; people did want Villager and Rosalina.

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
After we do our obligatory satisfaction on any newcomers in the direct, can we do most hyping moment from the direct the day after?

Groose

Smash Champion
Most Hyping Moment
x10 Mega Man
x10 Little Mac

x7 Rosalina
x7 E3 2013 Trailer
[collapse=Others]x3 Smash Direct Announcement
x3 Toon Link
x2 Wii Fit Trainer
x1 Smashboards Account Creation
x1 Pyrosphere
x1 Luigi
x1 Palutena Leak
[/collapse]
Mega Man's reveal was the community's most hyping moment, and Little Mac's wasn't far behind. Note: they technically tied, but Mega Man's reveal overlaps with the also popular "E3 Trailer". Other moments of hype included the E3 Trailer and the Rosalina reveal.

Most Deflating Moment
x8 Character Drought

x5 Rosalina
x5 Wii Fit Trainer
[collapse=Others]x3 Starfy
x3 Pyrosphere
x2 No Story Mode
x2 Waluigi Roster Size Comments
x2 Smash Website and Pic of the Days
Pac-Man Leak
Toon Link
Sakurai’s Shoulder
Villager
Toad
Ashley
Bumper Item
April Fool’s Day
Mega Man
Skull Kid
Nintendog
Shulk Leak
Little Mac
Veteran Announcements
[/collapse]
Character droughts are the bane of this community's existence; they give us little to speculate about and drain hype like a leech drains blood. Honorable mentions go to Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer, two characters that have enemies (but also fans!).

I wonder if we'll ever rate who we think has the best chance of being revealed in the direct, and who we want to be revealed the most...
I hate your guts.

Today we're doing something a bit different and a bit more focused on the Direct that will take place on Tuesday. It's pretty clear that we'll be getting a new character, but who do you think will it be? Who do you want it to be? Please give up to three characters that you feel have the best chances to appear in the upcoming Direct, and up to three characters that you hope will appear more than anyone else in the Direct.

After we do our obligatory satisfaction on any newcomers in the direct, can we do most hyping moment from the direct the day after?
The Plan:
Sunday-Monday: Expected and Wanted Newcomers
Monday-Tuesday: TOP SECRET
Tuesday-Wednesday: Smash Direct Satisfaction
Wednesday-Thursday: Smash Direct Newcomers Satisfaction
Thursday-Friday: Other Newcomers Satisfaction
Friday-Saturday: Overrated and Underrated Characters Day
Saturday-: Normally Scheduled Chance Rating

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Was that really what you had planned?
Yeah. I was typing it up as I saw the "new message posted" button pop up. I clicked on it, figuring that it was a last-minute tally for the last day for me to add in, but that wasn't what I saw... :p

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Expected:
Palutena
Takamaru
Shulk

Wanted:
Palutena
Takamaru