• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Little Mac satisfaction - 95%

He was in my top 10 most wanted so of course I'm very pleased to see him make the cut. Although his confirmation has the added effect of confirming that assist trophies can become playable fighters. If you look at my signature you'll see why that is so satisfying.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think WFT was a good move for a lot of reasons.

I guess I forgot I said this elsewhere, but I think they made some good choices for the first E3. Assuming it will be released after this year's E3, so they need to save something for later...

Villager gives a Nintendo first-party that was very wanted last time, and is interesting.

Mega Man makes the huge hype train, very well-known, very wanted, epic trailer (dat music).

Wii Fit Trainer is not for hyping you up for her, per se. Instead she's there for the WTF factor and makes you think, whoa, anything can happen. People are probably more excited about the possibilities with her than they would've been otherwise. If they had revealed Mewtwo, or K Rool, or Ridley, or Pac-Man, people would've been thinking, oh, he's putting in the most requested/most obvious characters. Villager and Mega Man are sufficient to show that he's listening to the fans. WFT is there to say that we'll also be getting things we're not expecting.

Then they can save those other big name characters for this E3, or closer to launch.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Assuming we're still talking about the Little Mac reveal, I'll jump in.

I'd give the reveal a solid 100%. As I said in a previous thread, my reaction to seeing Little Mac in Smash Bros was more extreme than even the E3 trailer. In other words, knowing Mac got in got me more pumped than knowing the game existed.

Getting Doc Louis to voice over the trailer was such a nice touch, as was the more cartoony art style. That and the fact that this trailer focused solely on Mac (featuring special guests Samus, Doc, and Sandbag) gave me hope that each reveal trailer won't just be "Mario and co. doing antics and then they meet the new guy" like the Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina teasers were.

Mac's apparent playstyle and further execution looks really great and true to the character. Even Giga Mac, who I've seen quite a few people complain about, doesn't really bother me. I think it's fitting that they use Punch Out Wii's multiplayer equivalent to a Final Smash as a Final Smash.

All in all, this opened the floodgates of excitement, taking me back to watching the Sonic reveal trailer and the SSE cutscene with Diddy Kong, Rayquaza, and Fox on the Brawl Dojo. It has me feeling content with however the game will turn out, just as Meta Knight, ROB, and Olimar did with Brawl.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Little Mac Satisfaction: 90%

While before the trailer I was neutral on him, I am completely on board with him as a playable character. He looks like a really intense character to fight and play as. Part of me is bummed that Dixie wasn't the reveal in the Direct, but I am very satisfied with Little Mac's moveset and playstyle. I am wondering how I'm going to fare against Mac mains with Rosalina, though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Little Mac Satisfaction: 95%
I really wanted him in, and I am really glad that Sakurai took a normal boxer and made him unique!
What can I say ago Little Max in Smash that hasn't already been said?
Let me think of something?
"Little Mac's Smash Bros trailer was similar to the Wrecking Ball music video by Miley Cyrus."
There, that probably hasn't been said. Pretty sure it hasn't.

I also think the fact that Sandbag was in the cinematic trailer and WAS NOT in the gameplay trailer means something. This on top of the fact the home-run bat is changed, may be hinting at a certain someone getting in the game.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Shouldn't Little Mac and Promoted Assist Trophy have Confirmed?

Either way, Little Mac gets a 99% from me.

The trailer focused on Mac mostly, not on the veterans. The trailer was awesome and got me super hyped for both the game along with the rest of the Direct.

His moveset is unique and awesome. Looks like he'll be one of the pro characters that you take a while to master.

Why not 100%? He made me think that the Direct was going to be awesome, but after that it was mostly disappointing. The best thing after that was the Koopalings in Mario Kart 8 or the trailers/gameplay for Bayonetta 2/X. And neither of the two got release dates.

If he was at the end, he would have gotten a 100%, but he hyped me too much and made the rest of the direct a disappointment.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Feel free to post it, but it's a little late for me to work it into the score.
No problem about the score, since I was late and it was my fault. but I do want everyone to read this.

Pokemon Trainer:

Chance: 33.34%

I'm not confident at all that he will return in full, and here's why: I don't think the Pokemon Trainer himself is really as essential as some are making him out to be, and I think people are underestimating the work that has to go into balancing for the three characters.

First off, I'm positive that the vast majority of people play Pokemon not for the playable character, but for the Pokemon themselves. Similarly, no one will base their purchase of Super Smash Bros. off of the inclusion of the Pokemon protagonist himself. The only backlash will be from the removal of the popular Pokemon of Ivysaur and Squirtle. I, personally, think that the backlash from cutting them is worth the time you’d get. And let me explain why:

Pokemon Trainer is BY FAR the most time intensive veteran. It's not just the work of three separate characters, either (and that in itself is bad). It's more complicated than that. Every character you tag onto a single slot adds multiple combinations of characters that you have to take into account. Instead of having to work on the matchups of A, B, and C alone, you have to work on the matchups of:

Combination ABC (Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle)
Combination AB (Charizard and Ivysaur)
Combination AC (Charizard and Squirtle)
Combination BC (Ivysaur and Squirtle)
A alone (Charizard)
B alone (Ivysaur)
C alone (Squirtle)

Then, along with that, you have to take into account the badly implemented stamina, forced switching, and effectiveness mechanics that have to be modified or removed, and the fact that one of the three characters is an unusual, quadrupedaled character that's a bit more difficult to work with animation-wise. (Keep in mind that this really doesn't take much more work in the long run, but I'm trying to be thorough.)

So, if we're needing to have cuts due to time constraints, cutting Ivysaur and Squirtle is an unbelievably appealing choice, since it would take away the balancing time of ABC, AB, AC, BC, B, and C, which is time comparable to what would be gotten from cutting six standalone characters. No other combination of semi-reasonable cuts can get that kind of time except maybe cutting Snake, Wolf, Lucas, Ike, and separating Sheilda. (Note that Snake is in an interesting position since he's third party and, and such, takes negotiation time as well, so he may actually take the time of two to three veterans instead. But it's probably closer to two than three and may even take less time than that since Sakurai is such close friends with Kojima.)

I think that cutting Ivysaur and Squirtle would create far less backlash than the latter proposition, don’t you? As such, it's something that I am in fact predicting Sakurai to do since the roster needs to be differentiated enough from Brawl’s to be interesting. I know it’s a controversial rating, but it’s most certainly how I feel.

(That said, I still could very easily see Pokemon Trainer returning if Sakurai and his team work really hard, hence my 1/3 chance score.)

Want: 60%
That aside, I really do enjoy the Pokemon Trainer. I particularly enjoy playing as Ivysaur and Squirtle. But there's 40% of me that realizes that Ivysaur and Squirtle's cuts would be beneficial to the game as a whole. That's why my want score's not higher.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I also think the fact that Sandbag was in the cinematic trailer and WAS NOT in the gameplay trailer means something. This on top of the fact the home-run bat is changed, may be hinting at a certain someone getting in the game.
Yeah no.
Sandbag's inclusion in the cutscene and not the gameplay may mean that they aren't showing off all the items yet or they are not finished preparing Sandbag.
I consider Sandbag impossible, Bidoof.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yeah no.
Sandbag's inclusion in the cutscene and not the gameplay may mean that they aren't showing off all the items yet or they are not finished preparing Sandbag.
I consider Sandbag impossible, Bidoof.
......how could they not be done "preparing" Sandbag.

Give me the model and I could program Sandbag in a week at most.
Maybe they are "preparing" Sandbag for his playable debut.

Need I remind you, Louis, that you also consider Captain N impossible.
And I am going to call people by there full names now. You are Louis, @ Starcutter Starcutter is Robert, and @ Groose Groose is Grooserson.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
I'm sorry, but do you actually consider Sandbag a plausible contender? Master Hand and Tabuu would reach playable status before the Sandbag.
And yes, I remember saying that Captain N is impossible. I am still sticking to the logic that an American cartoon character is impossible for Smash Bros.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
@ Mega Bidoof Mega Bidoof
I'm sorry, but do you actually consider Sandbag a plausible contender? Master Hand and Tabuu would reach playable status before the Sandbag.
And yes, I remember saying that Captain N is impossible. I am still sticking to the logic that an American cartoon character is impossible for Smash Bros.
Yes, as a matter of fact I do.
He would be the most unique Smash original character BY FAR!
Master Hand would be too OP, and would look awkward scaled-down, and shrinking Tabuu would take away from his coolness and god-like state.

And Captain N was also in Canada.

EDIT: @ Groose Groose , X5 Sandbag.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Yes, as a matter of fact I do.
He would be the most unique Smash original character BY FAR!
Master Hand would be too OP, and would look awkward scaled-down, and shrinking Tabuu would take away from his coolness and god-like state.

And Captain N was also in Canada.

EDIT: @ Groose Groose , X5 Sandbag.
Why would you shrink Tabuu?

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I don't see anything wrong with Sandbag being a joke character (I recall giving it a 1% chance and sizable want when it was rated), though it does seem more like wishful thinking on our part than something that would actually happen. It's got some great fan movesets/concepts yet, at its core, it's still just a punching bag with a face. Theoretically it isn't deconfirmed yet since it hasn't appeared in any daily picture or gameplay trailer, but it's still a longshot at best.

Groose

Smash Champion
Little Mac Satisfaction: 100%

Let's start with the context of his reveal and his reveal trailer. It's the day after the launch of Tropical Freeze, and it seems like Sakurai is about to reveal Dixie Kong... which would be a major blow to my most wanted character. Worse still, it looks like I'll have to sit through the majority of a 40 minute stream just to see what Smash footage they'll show. I'm hype filled out of my mind, but a small part of me is filled with dread.

And seeing this guy cleared up all of the dread inside of me!
The first trailer begins to roll, and the Smash logo appears. WOAH. From the first few notes of music, I can recognize the song and the character shadowboxing in silhouette. It's Little Mac, one of my top ten characters! YES! The trailer came a lot quicker and hit a lot harder than I was expecting or even hoping for. As for the trailer itself, it was the best trailer we've seen so far--Mega Man's was the only trailer in its league. There was no messing around like with Rosalina or the Trainer's trailer--it hit quick and it hit hard. The awesome comic book-like visuals, the intense music, and Doc Louis' pumping narration combined for a one-two-three punch of pure epic; the fact that the trailer didn't pull any punches and showcased Mac's Final Smash, his extraordinary speed, and a new power meter only served to help make the trailer even better. Parts like Sandbag, the chocolate bar, and Samus' height joke were the icing on a cake that already had icing. To put it frankly, I doubt even an amazing trailer featuring both K. Rool and Ridley in all their glory would be able to top this one; Mac's trailer was raw hype bottled into a video, and it perfectly captured the character, his series, and what he brings to the table.

This trailer packs a harder punch than Mac... and that's saying something!
Now, a trailer can look amazing, but gameplay is everything when it comes to being satisfied with a character. Satisfaction is pretty much derived by how closely a character plays as to how they should play, and how a character should play is determined by their games. In Little Mac's case, that's facing impossible odds and powering through them with strategy, endurance and agility. He’s all about analyzing the opponent, waiting for an opening, then punishing in lightning fast combos. Yet he takes a lot more punishment than most—many of his enemies are capable of blows far beyond normal humans and sometimes Mac must take damage when he makes a wrong prediction. Little Mac is a determined character who rolls with the punches and dishes them out tenfold. Punch-Out may not be a true fighting game, but its star exemplifies the best of fighting principles.

This game is all about fighting and plays like a fighter... even if it is a puzzle game in disguise.

Does Little Mac in Smash reflect this. Simple answer: YES. Your opponent is using their greater range and projectiles to outmaneuver you? Wait until they goof up, dash in there with that insane speed, and knock the croissants out of them with a lightning fast combo. If you need to, take that hit, grit your teeth, and land that KO blow. Little Mac isn’t about complex tactics or pointless aerial footsies—he’s just a straightforward scrapper with a chip on his shoulder. Heck, even the concept of him in Smash is perfect—his opponents may not all be towering behemoths like they are in his own series, but they are world-famous video game stars with weapons and a clear overdog status. This is something that I had never really thought about before watching the trailer, but the scene at the end with the chocolate bar made it clear to me—Mac really fits in Super Smash Bros.

Opponent left himself open? Punish him, Mac-baby!

Part of me had always feared that Little Mac may turn into a rather bland, Marth-like character; this is pretty much what kept him towards the bottom half of my top ten most wanted for this game. I definitely wasn’t one of the “but all he can do is punch” people, but I had always preferred the characters at the very top of my want list mostly because there was little fear of them being bland. This trailer proved me utterly wrong; while Mac may not be as interesting as Rosalina, Villager, or Mega Man, he’s still one of the more interesting characters on the Smash roster, and he does a great job representing his series. Speaking of representing his series, it seems like he’s bringing a fair amount of stuff with him, as his stage is now on both systems (YEEEEEES!) and they took the care of bringing the Doc in for his trailer. I had feared that we wouldn’t be getting much from his series—I sort of expected him to be like a R.O.B. or Game and Watch in terms of greater representation. Now, we’re guaranteed Punch-Out music and stages on both versions, at the very least.

That stage? On the 3DS? YEEEEEEEEEES!

For a more specific analysis of the character, I like the looks of his speed and combo ability. I can’t say he’ll be top tier or anything like that, but he certainly looks usable. Personally, I enjoy characters who have a degree of speed to them, and he has it to spare. Additionally, his KO Punch is neat; I’m not nearly as taken in by it or worried by it as some other people seem to be, but I do think it’s cool how it makes sound effects and all. The final thing I want to talk about is his armor and rushing ability—it’s definitely great. We’ve seen four newcomers so far who either have some form of projectile or remote controlled decoy; Little Mac is sort of the antithesis or the counter to this, and I like the diversity. I think it will be fun seeing him duel Rosalina; can her Lumas keep this rush-down player in check, or is she bound to be outmaneuvered and pummeled?

Little Mac does not care about your Lumas!

Now, the question remains: will he be my main? I don’t think so. Although rush style characters are my second favorite type, I do prefer projectile users above all and Mega Man and even Villager are good examples of characters I want to try; Little Mac is probably the third character I’ll try to use just from the pool of newcomers that have been revealed so far. It’s okay that I won’t main him because he’s still a great character, and I’ll enjoy using him from time to time.

Still terrified of dying a horrible death if I don't main this guy.

One other thing: a good friend and I used to play Punch-Out a lot when we were younger, and he always loved the game perhaps even more than I did. He enjoys Smash, too, and though he isn’t all into the newest speculation, he does always ask me about what new stuff gets revealed (I suspect he has no idea exactly how involved in the Smash community I am, but he does know I keep in touch with all of the daily pictures and stuff). I can’t wait for the next time we hang out so that I can show him this trailer. Seriously, I just might tape a reaction video for you all because it will be pretty darned good.

An absolute classic!

Finally, for the sake of Rate Their Chances, how does he impact the chances of other characters? He… really doesn’t. Little Mac was pretty heavily expected, and he has made his way onto every (or maybe all but one) prediction roster I’ve made for this game. There was a slot pretty much set aside for him, and he rose up to claim it. That… really doesn’t affect anyone else that much.

Mac baby! Doc Louis doesn't encourage punching the ref!
...anyone except the DK situation. Dixie Kong can be used to promote Tropical Freeze; K. Rool can't. K. Rool can be used to hype Smash; Dixie can't do the job quite as well. The longer we are from Tropical Freeze's launch and the closer we are to Smash's launch, the more likelihood K. Rool steals from that pesky little monkey.

Step one... hurt Dixie's chances. Step two... enter the ring to box with Little Mac!

I suppose you could make the case that it shows he’s listening to the hardcore Western audience and that his inclusion boosts the chances of others such as Ridley and Isaac, but I don’t see this as being the case. One could just as easily make the argument that Little Mac is the character chosen to appease the Western audience, rendering those two pointless. Personally, I just think their odds remain the same.

You still could go either way, my old friend.

You could say that it does hurt the chances of Retro characters, and I feel that it may to a very limited degree. Mac’s trailer was kind of “Retro” in its vibe, and he could count as reviving a character. I’d still say the chance for a true Retro is pretty high.

I still think you're a bit overrated, but Mac ain't the reason why.

…fine, fine, fine! I’ll talk about the leaky three. In all honest, I’ve always placed a 50% chance of it being real; it certainly isn’t impossible to predict the Wii Fit Trainer, but getting her and the Villager right is pretty impressive. I think the other characters not revealed are some of the obvious choices, anyway; I expect to see both Pac-Man and Miis later on, and getting Little Mac doesn’t really change that. I suppose I can now boost my odds of that happening from 70% to 75%, but I really don’t think seeing the fourth character from the Salromano Leak changes much because he and the others should have been expected, anyway.

I'm not much more likely because I was always likely!

I gave Little Mac a 70% on both Day 12 (early July) and Day 81 (early November?). Both times, I cited the plethora of things in his favor and noted how he was easily in the top five most likely newcomers. I was too conservative, but I feel my conservatism is justified: I refuse to go along with the crowd and give someone a 90%+ when we’re rating something as difficult to predict as Smash newcomers and there are more solid characters than roster slots. Remember back when Krystal and Ridley both had 80% or higher on the Brawl RTC? I made some mistakes back then, and I refuse to make them here.

Yeah, not quite a shoo-in for Brawl, eh?

Anyway, I think that’s enough of a reaction. You guys will be pleased to hear that my word count for this post is actually over even two thousand words… which, according to my calculations, should hold the record for the thread’s longest post. Just remember, the Groosenator will not be defeated on his own thread!

That is not a promise... it is a fact of life! I am perfect in every way!

Oh, and sorry if I sounded a bit passionate in this, especially at the beginning. I did wait until after a good night’s sleep to start writing, but the excitement never wore off. I bet this even sounded like a Johnknight post. Seriously, though, this reveal just hyped me through the roof, and I was probably already the most hyped person on these entire boards.

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Little Mac Satisfaction: 92.93%
Well, Little Mac satisfied pretty much everyone. Only one person really didn't like the reveal; everyone else was at the least content. Right now, Little Mac is the most satsisfying reveal by far... but that could change in part two of our newcomer reveal special.

Most of you probably remember that after a newcomer is revealed and we rate them in satisfaction, we spend a day rating the previously revealed newcomers on the same scale. So, please rate Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina in satisfaction today. If you just want to see what you gave them after Rosalina's reveal, please check out Brawler 610's Directory, a link to which can be found on the first post of this very thread.

Please understand--normal gameplay (nominations, chance ratings, predictions, etc.) will be restored tomorrow. It is my belief that, since we spend two months or more at a time speculating who could be playable here, we should have a two day celebration whenever our tiring efforts reach their peak and result in a newcomer.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Villager: 100%
Personal connection with the character and a moveset I really like makes it easy.

Rosalina: 100%
See above, only with a deeper connection and an even better moveset.

Wii Fit Trainer: 100%
I like yoga. I think the character is hilarious. Auto 100%.

Mega Man: 65%
Meh. No connection to him makes it tough for me to want to be interested.

Only one person really didn't like the reveal
:drohyou:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Villager satisfaction: 44% - Animal Crossing no longer interests me. He just seems too generic. :(

Megaman satisfaction: 82% - I've only played one Megaman game in my life but it was still enough to make me want him in Smash, I'm also very pleased that they went with his classic look.

Wii Fit Trainer satisfaction: 100% - The Unstoppable acrobatic albino amazon zombie karate master mannequin will demolish everything in her wake.

Rosalina satisfaction: 85% - The best possible choice for a Mario newcomer. She looks like a lot of fun to use.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Going back through my past satisfaction ratings, I don't think anything has really changed, so all my ratings will remain unchanged and descriptions will be brief. Spoiler alert: I'm quite happy with all our newcomers so far.

Villager Satisfaction - 90%
Our first reveal, and a pretty great one. I like that he's in, I like how well he represents his series, and in general he just seems like a strong inclusion to the roster. My only qualm is that I'm not sure he looks all that fun, but he's not exactly a character I want to main regardless, so that's no big deal.

Mega Man Satisfaction - 100%
The single most hype-inducing reveal we've had to date, and easily the best implementation of a character moveset-wise. He's the perfect new third party character and one of the best choices for Smash in general. After Mega Man was criminally left out of MvC3 it's great to see him get what he deserves in Smash.

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction - 80%
When I first saw a headline saying WFT was in Smash, I assumed it was a joke. Then I saw the trailer and wondered how I could be so wrong. She's unexpected, sure, but she makes lots of sense in retrospect and Sakurai knocked her out of the park. Big reason she gets a small ratings dip is that she will remain the obvious "Why is X in SSB4 but not Y?" target when characters I want more are left out, so it's difficult to be fully satisfied with her despite great implementation.

Rosalina Satisfaction - 100%
Each of my 100% satisfactions so far has been in part because of how much a character's inclusion means to someone I know. For Mega Man, it's knowing how many of my friends are Mega Man fans that loved the announcement. For Little Mac, it's for a hardcore Smash friend who has wanted him in Smash above all others. Rosalina is the most personal of all, though, as she is by far the favorite video game character of my little brother, one that neither of us really thought would ever see Smash. Suffice to say he's tremendously happy to have her in, and by extension I'm super happy she made it in over strong competition from other Mario characters. It also certainly doesn't hurt that she looks to bring a tremendously unique playstyle and in general just seems to have been implemented incredibly well. Easily my favorite reveal so far.

I guess if I have any gripe with the reveals so far, it's that they have yet to reveal a newcomer that I really want. I'm certainly happy that friends and family are getting some of their favorite picks, and it helps that my favorite Brawl character (Toon Link) has already been confirmed to return, but at this point I'm really hoping to see something that truly excites me. It's shaping up to be a great roster so far, just not an ideal one.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Villager: 100%
Personal connection with the character and a moveset I really like makes it easy.
Bingo.
Villager - 100% Animal Crossing was the one game I spent more time with than Melee in the GameCube years, and New Leaf is the greatest addition to the series ever. If my 3DS wasn't already played enough before that day in June, the little village that could made me the mayor and seized a large chunk of my gaming history. He even suits my play style.

Mega Man - 100% This satisfaction rating is due to how happy he makes my "NES hard" retro-loving friend. I am a Mega Man fan, but it is far from my favorite series. He is definitely an icon and legend, however, and I always will be behind anyone with that status getting in.

Wii Fit Trainer - 95% She makes perfect sense and was a wonderful surprise. She's awesome, and she reminds me of an even more fluid Zero Suit Samus, which is a good thing.

Rosalina & Luma - 40% Meh. I think she is a going to be a great addition, and I like her and all games she has appeared in, but I wouldn't say I was or am pleased. I kind of dreaded the idea of her being chosen over other Mario reps. (The same way I would dread Tingle as a Zelda rep or I did a second Mother rep over most reps pre-Brawl... eh hum) I am not upset, but I will be disappointed at her inclusion if one or more of a select few others isn't in come release.

All five of characters total to 435. / 5 = 87% average. You could say overall I am very enthused, but hopefully the next character will raise the bar into the 90's.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Satisfaction:

Villager: 90%
Same as before. I love the Animal Crossing series, so I'm very happy to see him. 10% off because I would have rather had Nook and because hype over the E3 trailers is dissipating.

Mega Man: 70%
Wow, only a 25% from me last time? Huh. Well, I've definitely warmed up to the character, but I'm still not really that excited since I had no attachment to the character him(it?)self. 20% over complete indifference because I'm really thinking his playstyle will be interesting to me with how fast-paced the game is looking. Also, the trailer was good. (Seriously, I can't believe I only rated him 25% last time.)

Wii Fit Trainer: 60%
Serious decrease from last time's 95% because Little Mac made me realize that she isn't as unique as she originally looked. She's still an ingenious character to pick, but she pales in comparison to the other characters when it comes to uniqueness (if we're not talking visual distinctness). All the other characters that we've gotten have looked really interesting and fun to play as to me...except Wii Fit Trainer. The main thing going for her is that her trailer was absolutely amazing and her inclusion was absolutely shocking, which I like...but her novelty is wearing off on me.

Rosalina: 77%
I was a Toad supporter, so I'll always hold a resentful place in my heart for Rosalina...but I can't really stay mad at her. She's by far the most interesting character yet and I absolutely love magic users. Especially cosmic magic users. Combine that with my love for roundish yellow characters and my excitement for trying out a puppeteer character...I'm fairly satisfied.

Overall, I'm more satisfied than not, but I'm much more interested in other characters for the most part (Only ones that are likely that would hype me to the moon and back are Pac-Man, Palutena, Takamaru, Robin, Ridley, and King K. Rool. And Villager was the only one of our currently revealed newcomers that I was actually wanting, at about the level of Takamaru and Robin. Thankfully, Little Mac was surprisingly hyping, so I'm not completely starved of hype.) Honestly, I'll be satisfied with the game as long as my most wanted (Pac-Man) gets in.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Satisfaction:

-Villager:20%
Just a 3D Game and Watch for me and he isn't Tom Nook.

-Mega Man:95%
I'm a huge fan of Mega Man, but the only character I would rate with a 100% is Bandana Dee.

-WFT:70%
Pretty weird choice, but she looks interesting and funny.

-Rosalina:90%
Pretty cool, I always liked the character.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Villager Satisfaction: 100%
Sakurai captured the spirit of Animal Crossing very well with his moveset, in a way no one really predicted. I liked the use of all sorts of Animal Crossing tools shovel, bug net, gyroid, turnips, slingshot, fireworks, umbrella and whatnot.)

Mega Man satisfaction: 90%
I'm not that familiar with the Mega Man franshise, but I have a friend who his. Judging by his reaction, I can safely say that Mega Man's moveset was spot-on too. But it was kinda expected... so I wasn't that wowed.

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 80%
A WFT character she was. To be fair, her only redeeming point in my eyes was her use of Yoga moves and the general reaction across the internet.

Rosalina Satisfaction: 100%
Sakurai truly took me by surprise with her moveset. Almost everyone thought her to be a lame Peach clone, but she entered the fray with a puppeteer moveset which has never been seen in Smash before.

To sum up, I've been pretty satisfied with all the newcomer reveals. Even if I disagree with some choices such as WFT and Rosalina getting in over Toad and Bowser Jr, their movesets have won me over.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Mega Man Satisfaction: 95%

Villager Satisfaction: 90%

WFT Satisfaction: 45%

Rosalina Satisfaction: 75%

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I demand Satisfaction!

Megaman: 99.5%
Down 0.25% from last time, mainly because we're not seeing much of him, and there's more hype to spread around (even with other games *couhg*J-Stars Victory Versus*Cough*). Still great though, and still a very possible main or second for me.

Villager: 85%
Down 7.5%. The more I see that Lloyd rocket the more it bothers me, and the boxing gloves, while making a good picture for the Mac intro, bug me more too. I think he had enough potential without those, and I always hoped for a watering can jab anyway, but I've yet to see how they're implemented, so it could be better in practice.

Wii Fit Trainer: 100%
No Change! I'm still super excited by her, she's not got all the flashy mechanics, but she looks like a really solid and fun to play fighter with a huge amount of style. I still want to know what her breathing exercise does, and there's a lot of mystery about her move pool, but she looks great.
It probably helps that I'm one of these mad people who uses Wii Fit, previously once a week, but the Wii Fit Meter's gotten me on there nearly daily. She's representative of one of my top 5 most played video game series (alongside Puyo Puyo, Pokémon, Dragon Quest and Smash (probably in that order, Wii Fit just ahead of Smash)... these games have wracked up way too many hours), so I guess it's expected I'd like her

Rosalina: 40%
Up 10%. Bitterness has died down, I still don't think she really deserved it, but the more I see of her the more excited I am about her playstyle... that said I still think she's not very expressive, and I don't like the character... and worse yet I'm getting more and more bitter to that horrible amateurish trailer of hers, but I can put that aside if she's fun to beat up. I'll probably give her a play too, though from past experience with remote control characters I expect I'll be terrible with her. She still doesn't hype me though, she's just kind of there.

Mac's 95% puts him at the half way of the newcomers so far.

Also, well done Groose! managing to beat my slime post in words is no mean feat, that said I'll have to get things planned for the Fatal Frame day, and god help you all if there's a Slime Satisfaction day... my post will get loooonnnnggg!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Previously:
Villager: 98%
Megaman: 30%
WFT: 40% (just after E3; 90%)
Rosalina: 55%

After Little Mac(who I gave 95% to):
Villager: 90%
Megaman: 50%
WFT: 20%
Rosalina: 40%

Little Mac basically blew everyone away. Compared to him, the others just don't seem quite as impressive anymore. Not even Villager, who was the only one of the first four I was a little interested in. Seems I overrated my satisfaction with him just compared to the others though, and now a secondary Nintendo All Star has appeared...well; adjustments are made. Villager is still good, still ticks all the boxes and although technically arguable if he's a 'character' over an avatar, he's still from one of the most deserving series that wasn't included in Smash.

I've actually increased my Megaman score since 30% DOES seem a bit harsh considering I simply don't care one way or the other with him. Middle of the road 50%; he LOOKS like he does in the game, and his custom death animation is a nice touch, but again; no connection with me so it's hard to get excited over someone everyone else is interested in. He's still the only newcomer to get a slight increase in satisfaction.

As time goes on, more deconfirmations occur, and more newcomers that actually do appear as exciting or unique, Wii Fit Trainer sinks further and further down the list. She doesn't seem as unique or as enticing as the others at this point, and merely comes off as a glorified wireframe to me. By the time the game comes out at this rate she'll be in negative numbers for satisfaction.

Rosalina; well I covered this already. I can't help but resent here when I get *********** for the 4th game in a row with Toad because Nintendo want to try and force me to like her. This is doing the opposite. Hell; Bowser Jr I absolutely utterly despise(lazy ass design(let's just steal Baby Bowser and add a bib!), a bratty sidekick archetype, replacement scrappy for the more interesting looking Koopalings), but I could see he's far more deserving than her with just as much chance to be totally unique. And at least with Jr I could take the satisfaction in kicking his smug little ass. Beating up a motherly woman just doesn't have the same appeal as a little villainous brat.
Rosie's satisfaction will most likely increase when I finally get to play as her but until then, she's still the worst outcome for Mario newcomer for me.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Villager: 100% Satisfaction
Animal Crossing simply put was the biggest Nintendo Franchise to not have a playable character, in terms of fanbase and sales. Many speculated Tom Nook, who could have been cool, but the Villager does the series justice. He is who you play as, and his gameplay has so much faith to the source. Truly someone unique.
Megaman:100% Satisfaction
Oh Yeah. How do you hype up Smash Bros? Show of the second (Mewtwo is first) most requested character worldwide. The trailer was perfect. His gameplay? Oh man, Sakurai ain't messing around. He is just like in the classic series, with weapons of several robot masters as attacks. Truly awesome.
Wii Fit Trainer: 80% Satisfaction
The only character who has decayed on me. At first, I was in a situation of "Its so stupid, its great." Now, I see her as more stupid. At least she makes sense from a representation sense and her moveset is cool.
Rosalina: 100% Satisfaction
I expected a Mario newcomer. Keyword expected. I thought no matter who it was, it would be a character not handled well, like Bowser Jr or Paper Mario, or a character I think is an unwise addition, like *FLAMESHIELD* Waluigi or Geno *FLAMESHIELD*. Rosalina took me by surprise, and won me over with a badass puppet character moveset. The combo ideas look great on her. Also it means less likely other Mario reps, which is OK in my book.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Villager Satisfaction: 100%
I really thought that Animal Crossing deserved a newcomer, and I am glad Sakurai implemented one without making it too violent, and keeping him similar to the AC series as a whole.
His fighting style looks very unique, like how he "accidentally" attacks foes.

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 95%
WFT is a character every wanted, but nobody knew they wante her.
She fights with excersises.
HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME!?!?!

Mega Man Satisfaction: 100%
Every wanted him, and he was easily the most deserving newcomer.
I am glad that Sakurai have him the defeated boss power-ups, and how he looks and fights like his classic NES self.
Nuff' said.

Rosalina & Luma Satisfaction: 70%
I really thought another Mario newcomer would get in. There are much more deserving ones than Rosalina, like Toad, Bowser Jr., and even Waluigi!
Nintedo should stop making Rosalina re-occur unnesasarily.
But that is just my opinion, and Luma does make Rosalina pretty unique, so I will give her SOME points.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Villager: 95%

Mega Man: 90%

Wii Fit Trainer: 80%

Rosalina and Luma: 100%

I guess I have a more positive outlook on the newcomers than a lot of others here do. So, explanations...

Villager: I gave him a 95% for being a representative of a great series that I previously thought couldn't make it in. I think Animal Crossing more than deserves representation in Smash, and they did a great job with the Villager. He looks like he'll be really fun to play as. I only subtract 5% due to the fact that while I like him a lot, and I look forward to him, I don't have too much interest in using him as a main. I'l certainly still use him though, and since that's only personal preference, I can't really take off a significant amount of points.

Mega Man: My reason for 90% is basically the same as the Villager. I think he's plenty deserving of his spot in Smash, and he looks very well implemented. I give him a lower score due to me having no personal connection with him, unlike the Villager. Again though, since that's only a personal thing that's not related to his importance as a video game character, I don't want to take off any more than 10%.

Wii Fit Trainer: Personally, I think Wii Fit Trainer was a stroke of genius. Looking through the lists of requested characters and then adding one no one even considered is brilliant, and it results for a hilarious addition to the roster. Aside from that, Wii Fit Trainer isn't just a unpredictable character. The Wii Fit series is well known and successful, so a representative from that, while unexpected, makes sense. The reason I give her an 80%, lower than that of Mega Man and Villager, is that I don't have a personal connection with her, and she seems the most bland out of the newcomers we've seen. However, we still haven't seen all of her yet, and I think there's some interesting potential we could see. If that becomes the case, I'll certainly increase my score up to a 90%.

Rosalina and Luma: They don't seem to be very well received around here, huh? Regardless, Rosalina is by far the newcomer I'm looking forward to the most. I think she's had enough presence in the Mario games to earn her spot, I personally like her character, and her moveset is AMAZING. She brings an entire new playstyle to the table that, to this day, we still haven't quite figured out how it works. When the game is released, she's the character I'm most excited to play as. It's also nice that I didn't actually think she was possible for a long time, so when she finally showed up in Smash, I was in shock. Regardless, out of all the Mario characters they could have added, I think they made a good choice with Rosalina. I just wish she didn't get as much hate...

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Mega Man: 100%
There were two characters I really wanted before I got into Smash speculation: Mega Man and Ridley.
Villager: 85%
Cool, but not exactly at the top of my list
WFT: 95%
Mainly because the internet backlash was hilarious
Rosalina: 10%
Still worried about potential balance issues, and add on to the fact that there were tons of Mario characters I wanted more.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mega Man - 90% - No matter what, this rating will stay. I will forever use this character as a baseline for whoever gets revealed. My most wanted third party, near perfect reveal trailer, he plays like a dream... the only reason I'm not giving him higher is so that way I can have a chance at properly rating characters that I do want more.

Villager - 75% - Not a change. As have no time or desire for life simulators, I have no attachment to AC, and Sakurai's statement has made me think that an AC character was an impossibility. Thus, I had not thought of him at all for my period of speculation, and thus could not get pre-exited. When he was revealed, I was impressed with his move set, though I must admit that it's probably too complex for me to sit-down and learn.

WFT - 60% - A 10% increase from before. Considering that there have been more complex move sets for the game, I consider her a necessity now. Confused? Don't be. There is a concept I like to call the "no frills character," a simple, basic, easy to learn and use character that does not have much in the way of gimmicks. Even something as Marth's tipper would disqualify this character. While they may not be the flashiest or the most exiting, they have the tendency to be high-tier characters who are good for learning the game. WFT is a good example of this, or at least I think.

Rosalina - 80% - Yep, still no change. While I do feel she may be somewhat premature, I have a tendency to have a "there's always next time," at least for this game. Her move set holds my interest more than Villager and WFT, and I think you would be hard-pressed to find another character who could do the same thing as her. She's still worthy of the spot, in my eyes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, Little Mac satisfied pretty much everyone. Only one person really didn't like the reveal; everyone else was at the least content. Right now, Little Mac is the most satisfying reveal by far... but that could change in part two of our newcomer reveal special.
What? Why does Wave Kusanagi bump Mac's satisfaction level down to 92%?! I must be missing something.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
He was talking about ThatWasPeachy, who gave Mac a 5%. Wave didn't participate.

Villager/Mega Man: 100% each
- An excellent pair of newcomers to start off with. I never thought much about Animal Crossing getting a character, but I'm glad it did. I think the series really deserved a character. He's also currently the newcomer that I'm looking forward to playing as the most. As for Mega Man, I don't actually like his games. At all. But I still thought he was the best choice for another third-party. He's a popular, legendary character, and is another character that I'm interested in fighting as. Overall I think both were great choices and I'm very happy that they're in.
Wii Fit Trainer: 50% - Nothing against her and her game is alright...but she seemed like too strange of a choice to me, and her moveset is the only one that doesn't really interest me. I'm not sure about this one.
Rosalina: 60% - On one hand I personally dislike Rosalina, and I don't think she should have gotten a slot over Bowser Jr or Toad. However, I'm just glad Mario got a fifth slot at all, and she certainly looks fun to play as. That's enough to put me in the satisfied range.

Expanding on Little Mac: I'm not quite the biggest Punch-Out fan around...I have the Wii game, but I haven't played it as much as I'd like. But when I got Brawl around it's release, Mac was one of the assist trophies I thought would be a good playable character. Later like the next game should have a few new series, and I thought Punch-Out was one of the best choices to gain a character. As a result, Little Mac became one of my wanted characters shortly after I found out about SSB4, and remained one of my most wanted up until his reveal. I had no doubts that he would make it in, but that didn't make his reveal any less awesome.

Smady

Smash Master
MegaMan: 90% Satisfaction
Not a character I especially wanted, but a deserving one, and revealed in a near-perfect trailer displaying nearly his entire moveset, giving him the right gravitas. The use of his robot master weapons for inputs was a smart move. The way Sakurai made his appearance more robotic to be in line with MegaMan's classic NES games was sharp. I'd stop short of giving perfect marks, however, just because the natural moveset is basically projectiles... and a weird use of Marvel vs Capcom attacks. It's also a bit strange how the forward tilt/strong attack is just the jab again, wasting input space. The chosen weapons were very cool, though, and the unique death animation is superb.

Villager: 80% Satisfaction
Not a character I expected or wanted, but one I'll probably end up playing as due to the creative way his moveset came out. I would have preferred Tom Nook in his place, but the Villager definitely has his own, strong personality which comes across in his set. He essentially has a random assortment of props he uses for attacks and some of them look really fun. His shape and movement reminds me a bit of Lucas, plus an even more risky recovery, so I can't help but gravitate towards this character for a potential new main. As a character he's nothing to write home about but Sakurai executed him really well, especially when he said he couldn't do it in the past, proving that any character can have a moveset no matter what is speculated.

Wii Fit Trainer: 55% Satisfaction
I initially really loathed this character being in as it represents a very lame series in my opinion. I've played Wii Fit before and it's decent fun, but like Wii Sports it doesn't last for long until you're sick of it. The WFT character is so unimportant to the experience and shows up for so little of the game outside of the yoga or other fitness stuff that is more of an interactive experience than video game. I know the series is super successful, but no one who is a "fan" of Wii Fit would want this character, I doubt they'd care - a stage or assist trophy would do fine. The moveset is also not that interesting and could easily have its interesting features condensed into an item. However, it's a huge surprise that no one on the planet would seriously have guessed, and even more than Villager it gives hope to any character having a chance. Plus I can see a small merit in a simplistic set to contrast against stuff like Rosalina. Speaking of which...

Rosalina: 90% Satisfaction
Not a character I considered for a second but pulled off perfectly by Sakurai. From the first moment I saw the Luma I realised what was up and was really, really happy with how she's executed here. This is the kind of thing I'd usually see in the Make Your Move community, so it was awesome to see something that creative put into an actual Smash set. In our community there were some people probably never thought we'd see the day a de-synchronized minion character would be put into the game, but here it is. Her non-Luma moves also are cool, given nice qualities with the black holes or otherworldly effects. As someone who is not a fan of Bowser Jr. or basically any other Mario rep except Waluigi, I can't help but feel Rosalina is a good block against my least wanted, while leaving any room for Waluigi to sneak in. That is a slim chance, though, which is why it's not a perfect score.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mega Man: 85%.

I never thought it would happen because of Capcom's neglect of Classic Mega Man, but this trailer proved me wrong and showed me how awesome Mega Man is going to me with an amazing trailer. I admittedly wont main him though.
Villager: 50%.

I have never liked Animal Crossing, and the fact that the Villager uses the absolute most bland design of the character turns me off of the concept. That being said, he seems to have an incredibly entertaining moveset, and he's not the Mii, so I won't complain.

Wii Fit Trainer: 75%.

I love this idea. Initially I was skeptical of her, but after seeing how ridiculous her moves are, and seeing how her inclusion is justified, made me warm up to her. I really hope she give exercise advice while fighting, and it will be the ultimate troll character. Plus her stage looks fun because there are no hazards.

Rosalina: 95%.

I love Super Mario Galaxy, and I loved Rosalina. I never would have thought she would get so much attention and make it into Smash Bros, let alone with such an interesting moveset. Her trailer was rather bland, but the gameplay shows me she will either be a useless or MONSTER character (and paired characters generally are monsters) so I'm super excited for her. I do wish Sakurai would lay off the Rosluma Pic of the Days though, but that may be alleviated thanks to the reveal of...

Little Mac: 90%.

The timing was weird and unexpected, but Little Mac's reveal blew me away. He looks like he will be an amazing character. I have yet to play Punch Out, but I can honestly say I'm extremely hyped for this guy. If Captain Falcon sucks like in Brawl, Little Mac is my new rush character. I am also happy for all of his hardcore fans who supported him.
(I know this reaction won't count, but whatever)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom