• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Magnus
Chance - 1%
When I saw the trailer to Kid Icarus Uprising and this guy appeared, I KNEW that he'd be in high expectation for Smash. Just something about him. Of course, it did happen, but with enough time and care the world came to find out he really doesn't deserve it compared to all the star power in Uprising.

Want - 10%
I would never mind more Kid Icarus characters, but before him I'd want Viridi, Hades, Pyrrhon, Phosphora, Amazon Pandora, Pittoo, Medusa.
Huh, I forgot to mention Palutena ... guess I already see her as in XD

6 Mario characters
Chance - 15%
It could happen, I suppose. I don't see it as being as likely as people seem to think it is.

Want - 0%
Please no. No extra Mario character is important enough to merit having the cast be so Mario centric. I understand how huge Mario is to Nintendo but hey ... so is Pokemon and Zelda and DK. So if you really want to highlight current stars of Nintendo, give each of those franchises a new character instead of giving us TWO Mario newcomers.
Better yet, give us characters from under-represented franchises (Metroid) or ones that have no representation (Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven.)

Prediction
Pittoo 2.5%
Obviously a palette swap, but his fans might give him a high rating.

Nominations
x5 Bowser Land

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Magnus
Chance: 0.9%
Didn't he, like, only ever appear three times in KI:U? Yeah, nah, a character that insignificant just seems like a lackluster choice for Sm4sh.
Want: 0%
He looks like a bland character to me.

THE MORE THE MERRIER: Mario Edition
Chance: 40%
I feel like this is a strong possibility. The Mario series has quite a few newcomers left and maybe Sakurai will feel that adding them would make Mario feel complete to him. Also, Super Mario is the most well known video game series ever, so giving the Mario roster the most characters wouldn't be completely nonsensical. Then again, Mario already has 5 characters, and we've never seen any other franchise have more than that (Pokemon Trainer is one character shut up).
Want: 80%
Only if it's Paper Mario.

Dark Pit prediction: 0.74

Nom: PT Pokemon (no trainer) X5

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Magnus
Chance 7%

I'm gonna be a bit more generous than most by giving him more than two percent. Honestly, I don't have nearly as much confidence in a new KI character as other people on the here do. However, I have a lot more confidence in us getting a KI newcomer that isn't Palutena. Now I'm not gonna say he or any other character from Kid Icarus is more likely than Palutena, but that there is still a decent chance that Sakurai will choose to add someone else as a KI rep.

What does Magnus have going for him that other characters from the franchise don't? Well not much. Mostly negatives in fact. To start with; he's not yet a recurring character, and he's not as important to the story as Meduusa, Palutena, Hades, or even Dark Pit. However he does have a considerable fanbase (although not as big as Palutena's), and a moveset made for Smash. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai was thinking of Smash Bros. when making Magnus. His character just screams Smash Bros. He would also be an easy character to design, unlike Palutena who likely would take much more development time, and this might actually be a big advantage. You can say that his moveset would be "bland" and "uninteresting", but to others it's a moveset that would be quick and easy to make, which could be something that Sakurai would be interested in.

For the record; I am not taking the leak into account when making this post. Although it could very well be real, I'm still going with the mindset of fake, until proven real.

Want 100%
I would usually give him about a 60% want score, but then I saw all the 0% want ratings and felt bad. So I decided to shamelessly raise my want by 40%. :awesome:

6 Mario Characters
Chance 25%
Want 20%

Too lazy to explain right now.

Dark Pit prediction 3.5%

Nominations
Jimmy T. x5

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Magnus
Chance and Want: Abstain

Afraid I don't know enough about him to feel like I could make a decent judgement of what his chances will be (though have read above, it doesn't seem like there's much hope for him).

6 Mario characters
Chance - 20%

Want - 100%
You can probably guess from my username and avatar, who I would like. I'd love for Toad to be in the game, he's been part of the Mario crew for years, and is a little speedy powerhouse.

Though I could easily understand if Bowser Jr got in over him (Though not a huge fan of Jr, I personally prefer the Koopa Kids) . I also like Waluigi (though it would be rather nice if he was allowed to appear in more than just sports games, at least let him appear in Wario Ware.)

Prediction
Dark Pit: 7%

Nominations
Toad X5 (surprising no one)

Groose

Smash Champion
its actually "daddy screamed REEEAL good before he DIED!!!!!" ya just confused dies with died
Oh, I know. I was just trying to adjust the quote a bit to fit the situation. Wouldn't make much sense saying that Pigma will scream before he "died" :p

-Nomination: I like Shulk, but Dixie less likely than him? seriously?
I have them about even, personally. Shulk doesn't have any competition from his own series as Dixie does. They're both pretty overrated in my opinion, but Shulk is now moreso.

Keep in mind that this board is HQ for K. Rool supporters and that Dixie has just a tiny foothold. There is bias. I intend to do a full write up after launch where I catalog stuff like this for the future. I'll note which characters have strong fanbases, explain why rerates drastically changed, and toss out as much as I can remember.
I'm only slightly interested in Waluigi for the sake of some twins that I babysit.
Why, I seem to remember you telling us that story back on Day 100. Golly, how time flies.

No long post from me today, or for a while I think!

you and me are probably (and sadly) the only ones who think that mate
I thought about that, yes. Even so, I prefer Palutena and Hades for character alone. Dark Pit was kind of cool, but at no point did I just go, "Oh, I need to see him in Smash!"

As a child in the N64 era who often got stuck with Wario in the Mario Party games... this quote is engraved in my mind.

Unfortunately Groose it's all relevant; I didn't grow up with Megaman at all. My first experience of Megaman? Captain N cartoon. After that Bob and George the webcomic. I grew up with Sonic, who is unfortunately a veteran.

Admittedly I was fibbing a bit though. I quite like Villager, but at the same time he's someone I wasn't clamouring for. It's nice to see some Animal Crossing representation though.

Wii Fit Trainer seems to get worse with each deconfirmation. Seriously; Wii Fit over Toad, Starfy, Ashley(her fan base be huge) and Skull Kid seems kind of a middle finger to the fans to me now.

Rosalina is about the only Mario character I have no emotional response to. Which wouldn't be a problem, but the Mario newcomers are the ones I look forward to most. I'd rather have my most hated in Bowser Jr than someone I couldn't care about either way.
To each his own. I try not to bash on characters because they all have their fans.

You can probably guess from my username and avatar, who I would like. I'd love for Toad to be in the game, he's been part of the Mario crew for years, and is a little speedy powerhouse.
1) Welcome to Smashboards.
2) You nailed the format we use in this game. Nice job.
3) Always nice to see another Toad supporter.

Magnus: 5%
Poor, poor Magnus. I was prepared to toss him about 10% before the leaked pictures. Now, however, I am inclined to believe that we are getting Palutena. Magnus' score has accordingly dropped; it will drop even further if the leaks are confirmed. Before the other day, I considered the Kid Icarus race more open than most did; now, however, I'm not sso certain.

Magnus Want: 10%
Many people looked at Magnus and played as him in Chapter 18--then jumped to the conclusion that he'd be awesome in Smash. I have no idea why they thought this. Magnus' potential movepool is astronomically small. Playing as him was cool, but it limited you to just a simple attack or two--if he were playable for longer than his half a chapter, it would have gotten old.

He suffers from what I like to call "Fire Emblem Syndrome"--he's just a basic swordsman. Also, he has major competition in his own series--I'd love Palutena or Hades. Yet I can't bring myself to give him a zero because he's a complete tough guy.

Six Mario Characters: 40%
The Mario series is so large and had so many candidates that a newcomer was guaranteed. Two of them? Not quite as likely. 40% that Mario gets a sixth character. Waluigi gets 12.5%, Paper Mario gets 7.5%, the Doc gets 2.5%. Sorry, Toad.
I'm staying strong on this. The series is definitely large enough to support two newcomers, but I'm not sure if we have enough potential newcomers to justify one. It could go either way; I'm giving this the same chance I gave Shulk.

Six Mario Characters Want: 50%
Here's the thing--I don't want the series to be flooded by Mario characters. Even so, I'm still reeling over the lack of Toad, Junior, or Waluigi--all three characters would be cool to see in, and the later two actually still have a chance. All in all, I'm rather neutral.

Jimmy T x2
Gangplank Galleon x3

So, we're going to be predicting Jimmy, and I'll use my spares to push up Gangplank Galleon. Oh, the joy of nominating last.

Dark Pit Prediction: 2.46%
I believe this is about where Magnus will land, and I believe Dark Pit will be in that ballpark.

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Magnus (Kid Icarus)
2.23% chance
15.79% want

He's got a heck of a sword... but few want it or expect it in Smash. The Palutena leak seems to show that Magnus is just a mortal among gods.

Six Mario Characters
22.70% chance
40.78% want

To think--the community used to be divided about whether or not we were getting even a single Mario newcomer! It's pretty clear that a second one isn't exactly expected, nor is it very wanted---people are now hoping their favorite characters from other series make the cut.

Today we're having a day that will probably seem eerily like yesterday. Another Kid Icarus character, another Mario character. To begin with, rate Dark Pit in chance and want. Does this angel, servant to none but himself, stand a chance to beat out the gods for Smash? Keep in mind, we are not counting the potential for alternate costumes. After you take care of that rating... *sigh* Please rate Toad in chance and want.

Tomorrow we're getting FUNKY in here. Jimmy T. is bringing the party to Rate Their Chances, and there will be dancing! Please predict how Jimmy will do in tomorrow's competition. Today's extra noms are won by @Pacack

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Dark Pit's chances: 0.5% - Beaten out by Palutena, and if she somehow doesn't get in, Hades and Medusa would likely still be above him.
Want: 0% - While I don't like giving 0%'s to characters I actually like I think the other Uprising characters would bring more to the table. Pit should just have a costume to make him look like Dark Pit.

Toad's chances: 0.5%
Want: 40% - I have actually finally begun to warm up to him to the point where he is my second favorite of the remaining potential Mario reps. Still prefer Bowser Jr. but I would no longer mind Toad's inclusion.

Jimmy T. prediction: 5.69%

Mewtwo x5

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Dark Pit - 0%
Remember how I said for Magnus that Palutena, Medusa, and Hades all being higher priority characters ensures he has no realistic chance? The same applies for Dark Pit, except he's in even more trouble thanks to being a really obvious palette swap option for Pit, so making him a totally different character is kind of pointless for Smash.
Want - 0% - Making him a totally separate character instead of a palette swap seems like an incredibly questionable use of development time/resources, especially when there are still so many worthy, actually unique characters to be added to Smash both from KI and other franchises.

Toad - 2.5%

Poor guy. Early on it seemed like Toad was in a really good position to finally make it into Smash as his profile has only been increasing over the years, going so far as to become a staple playable Mario character in recent games. Then Peach was revealed with her Toad move still present, and hopes dwindled by a huge margin, but there was still no Mario newcomer revealed, and Peach's reveal even came with the caveat that she was subject to change. Then Rosalina appeared to become our fifth Mario rep, and now Toad's chances are on life support. It's still not an impossible scenario to come out of, but the odds have really been stacked against him, enough that his actually being playable would be a massive surprise.
Want - 50% - I'd rather see Paper Mario and Bowser Jr first as I think they would make for more interesting characters, but I can't say I'd mind seeing Toad playable one bit. He'd certainly deserve it!

Jimmy T. Prediction - 4.5%
Mona got an 8.5% somehow, so surely Jimmy won't do too badly either.

Nominations
Sheik x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Pittoo

Chance - 0.75% - Unlikely (semi-)clone material. It's possible to make his own move set, but the Gods clearly have priority here. With Palutena's leak, we really shouldn't be expecting more characters. Still, in the unlikely event we get last minute roster buffers, I'd think he has mid-high chances.

Want - 55% - All right, I'll admit it, I used to support him. I actually though of a somewhat clever idea before the reveal: have Pit keep his old move set, and have Pittoo take over for Uprising's gameplay. When Pit was revamped anyway, my support quickly dropped. While at this point I only expect him to be a semi-clone at best, I just can't bring myself to dislike him. He's just another memorable character from a game full of them.

Toad

Chance - 0% - Yeah, like I said before with Jr., I'm only expecting (semi-)clones out of Mario now. Peach and Rosalina basically killed off any chance he may have.

Want - 40% - Despite me realizing I like Toad enough that I could have supported him back before Rosalina, now I think its about time for other franchises to shine. I guess it's just better luck next time, hopefully...

Jimmy T Prediction - 1.25% - Because disco is dead.

Nominations
Epic Yarn Stage X5

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Dark Pit
Chance:6%- Due to being a color swap, he doesn't have much of chance.

Want: 40%- He's cooler than regular Pit.

Toad

Chance: 5%- Almost impossible because of Peach's neutral-B returning.

Want: 45%- He's alright I guess. He's kind of bland.

Jimmy T Prediction

3.6%

Nominations

Plasm Wraith x5

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Dark Pit: Angst!
The Facts:
-DP is an exact recolor of Pit.
-DP's character is unique, his arsenal is not.
-Palutena.
The Issues
-Palutena.
-He doesn't differentiate from Pit. Because Sakurai is looking for unique and standout characters (Which Palutena fits the mold of) DP has hell.
When Comparing These Together...
-Obligatory "Palutena."
-Dark Pit has too many obstacles. Yes, my precious and one of my bigger newcomers MAY have been DCed on Thursday, but e still got Medusa and Hades. Big deals, bigger than DP. Oh, and Magnus. Slightly has a better chance.

Overall Chances: .2%

Want: 0%- "Palutena."

Toad- Welcome to Controversial Alley.

Fair Warning, my Arguement here may be a tad controversial. But I base it on Facts as much as I can.
The Facts:
-We have 5 Mario Reps already, and a new one, Rosalina.
-We could get a 6th.
The Issues:
-Other Contendors seem to be likely since Sakurai pushed the point home that Toads are staying a Neutral Special.
-Toads in general (What we are talking about are still the special move.) are DCed.
When these Mesh Together...
-I feel like trying to still argue for Toad is (No offense to any of the supporters) a bit of beating a dead horse. On the point, Toad has already been shown as a Neutral Special Move, he's effectively been DCed. This is exactly like Nintendog. Having a playable one is over-representation, even for Mario standards. I understand that there's multiple Toads and all, but after Sakurai pushed the point home for Nintendog (Who wouldn't get in because of animal cruelty issues and being an AT AND Stage Hazard) and then proceeded to show them all in one image, not noting Toad as playable, I just don't really see it. Unlike BWD, a character with actual personality and history in the series, Blue/Regular Toad feels like a cop-out character. It's something that they could have really used well and instead made a filler character. Toadsworth instead of Toad with the same abilities in 3D World would have been epic. I treat the fact that Toad is unplayable in his current appearances like Nintendog here. Yes, there's a lot of them, but having one as a special/assist and then one as PLAYABLE? That's not happening.

Overall Chance: Disconfirmed (Having a Toad in multiple pictures as unplayable has been shown twice, and results in a DC)- 0%.
Want: 0%-

Like I said yesterday: I don't want a 6th Mario Slot.

Jimmy Old Skool T.
Predicting 4.1%- If he gets in, I want to hear some Nu Disco Music with him. That's my favorite Genre of music, and it fits Jimmy all too well. Then again, "Mona."

Noms
Obligatory "Palutena" X5

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dark Pit?

Chance: 20%
Yeah, whatever. Sakurai's bias.

I hate the idea of a recolor becoming his own character in Smash. Gimme Palutena and/or Medusa!!!

Toad?

Chance: 1%
I would have said 90% before Peach's reveal... I would have said 50% before the Pic of the Day based on Super Mario 3D World... I would have said 25% before Rosalina's reveal... I would have said 0% before we found out about Toon Link being both playable and stage element... I am peeved that Sakurai actually managed to give us another glimmer of false hope after everything that's happened against Toad since September, especially after Rosalina.

Want: 100%
Toad is my most-wanted newcomer for SSB4. Unlike my other wanted characters like Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, Tingle, etc... Toad is the only one who I feel has the best chance of getting in... I mean, if I cannot have any of the other characters I want because they aren't popular enough, not unique enough, or not relevant/recent... then at least I could have Toad since he is actually popular enough, has a lot of stuff to work with that could make him unique, and he is definitely relevant/recent... and now it looks like I might not even have Toad... so I got nothing left to look forward to...

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Dark Pit
Chance: 0% - He's basically just a colour swap of Pit, and offers nothing new. Having him playable would be like having both a green Yoshi and a red one playable as two separate characters.
Want: 0% - I'm not a fan.

Toad
Chance: 0% - He's decomfirmed, I've giving up hope. :(
Want: 100% - He's more iconic than half the characters in Brawl. I just don't understand why he's never playable.

Jimmy T prediction: 3.6%

Nominations: Gyromite stage x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Dark Pit Chance: 15% I think he actually has a good chance of making as good semi-clone material, it is one of Sakurai's characters (Even though it is merely just a pallete swap of Pit), he's able to differentiate himself with his named weapon "Dark Pit Staff" to make his normal moves completely different from Pit's. His obvious obstacle here is Palutena now, whether or not Sakurai wants 3rd KI character is up to him and pretty unlikely. And this in question may also hint Dark Pit's inclusion:

Overall I think his chances are pretty small to make it, but incase Sakurai runs out of time, Dark Pit is perfect semi-clone material.

Dark Pit Want: 100% Despite me wanting Palutena more, I would absolutely love the inclusion of Dark Pit. I personally think he's a better character than the hero Pit himself, his playstyle and moveset could be potentially awesome with the variety of weapons KI:U brings.

Toad Chance: 0.05% His chances are pretty dead now, being already shown a move twice, probably indicating he's has already filled Toad's role in Smash.

Toad Want: 75% He's okay, I generally got more connected with Toad when I played as him more in Super Mario 3D World, I love his speed attribute and while I don't think it brings anything new, I still think he could be alot of fun and would translate well into Smash.

Jimmy T. Prediction: 0.56%

Nominations:
x5 Harry

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dark Pit:
Chance: 100%As a palette swap

Chance: 7% as a playable.

Dark Pit doesn't really need to be a clone. From what I've seen there's enough things Dark Pit can use to make himself completely different from his counterpart.

Ironically Dark Pit is overshadowed by the goddess of light Palutena(yes I made this joke already, shut up) and thus his chances are somewhat shot. Unlike Magnus though he seems overall more important to the KI franchise.

Want: 25%
You know what? I don't usually go for DARK characters, but there's something about Dark Pit that's endearing enough for me to give him a quarter of a percentage. I'd be mildly interested if they can make him a non clone.
Toad

I've been ready for this. I don't think you are though.

Let's begin: What is a Toad.

This little mushroom man is Toad.

Toad has been a staple of the Mario series since it began, and prior to Yoshi appearing was without a doubt the fourth most important hero of the series. Pre-N64 Toad did many amazing things.

He was faster than Mario, Luigi and Peach. He was stronger than them too. In fact Toad basically left the others in the dust when it come to overall combat skills in SMB2. See that Veggie Pluck Peach does? She was actually the worst at it. The best at it? Toad.

In fact Toad's only real weakness in that game was his lackluster jump, which was easily overcome by the use of the Super Jump Crouch:

Look at him fly! This particular skill was usable by all of the heroes in SMB2, but was notably more useful for Toad due to the insane difference in made to his jumping skills.

So what else did Toad do pre-N64 era?
Well he did quite a few things, including defeating a **** ton of impressive enemies in the puzzle game; Wario's Woods, his first(and currently only, bar the SNES remake) starring role as the lead protagonist.

Here his job was to bump off the many monsters that were invading the Mushroom Kingdom's forests under Wario's command. For the uninitiated it was a fun puzzle game that combined elements of Tetris and Bomberman into one addictive puzzle game with a platforming edge; Toad could interact with the monsters and bombs that his friend Wanda would drop in, but he'd have to take himself into account whilst shifting them.

Toad here displayed the impressive strength again, easily lifting five times his weight and proved himself to be a dab hand with explosives(it's impossible to blow yourself up...death only comes from Wario's hand as he slowly tried to crush Toad under a huge Thwomp) but this wasn't the only unique ability that was given to Toad.

Toad can run up walls in this game.

I mean really, who needs to freaking jump at all when you can run up walls? That's a pretty damn awesome ability there.

Did I mention the villains this shroom faced? Aside from having faced Wart, whom most of you are familiar with now and Wario, he also had to deal with this rogue's gallery;

Result of the first match?

Devil May Well Die.

(not actually Ganon's brother canonically)

Result?

Making Bacon. Link needs better bombs.

Result of the match?

There's a barrel blast for ya, you damn dirty ape.

The God Damn Grim Reaper is one of the bosses. Toad also defeats him in Super Mario-Kun.

Result:

Toad KILLS Death. He actually kills frigging Death, and yet still gets labeled a coward by the uninitiated.

and lastly;

Result? Well, you probably guessed by now but...

Bandana Waddle Dee may or may not have been there, but this mushroom roasted that dragon.

So there you go; Toad gets to do a whole bunch of cool things in the NES and SNES era...

Unfortunately the N64 era was less kind shoving Toad in NPC roles of hosting party games, refereeing golf matches and only occasionally joining in with sports; Toad's only appearance in the Mario Tennis games as a playable was in Mario Tennis for the N64, after that he was cut so we could have characters like...9 different coloured Yoshi's in Mario Tennis Open. I'm a Yoshi fan before a Toad fan believe it or not, but even I can't stomach THAT much Yoshi.

The Gamecube eras if anything were even worse; Toad was now pushed to the back, and seemingly replaced by Toadsworth for Mario Sunshine as Peach's steward even. He made his Super Smash Debut; as a meatshield, a position it looks that he'll likely hold for a long time. Why; even in Mario Kart, Toad's staple series, he was reduced to an unlockable character, and was no longer a playable character in Mario Power Tennis(seemingly planned and then cut, despite getting a partner in Toadette). The Gamecube was indeed not kind to Toad.

Unfortunately it is the N64 and Gamecube generation now whom are growing up, and thus they have skipped Toad's adventures as a bomb wielding, monster destroying, glass cannon who could run circles around the brothers(literally thanks to his speed; or he could if 3D was a thing back then). As a result Toad is seen by many of the people on this board as a sniveling coward; a husk of what he was during the period of time I grew up in; the NES and SNES years.

Luckily for Toad; the Wii years were far kinder; Mario Sports Mix basically threw dozens of Toads and Yoshis at the players all in various colours, and Toad retook his placement as the lead Toad in Mario Galaxy, renamed Captain Toad. He also returned as a standard starter for Mario Kart, and two Toads(notably not The red capped, blue jacketed Toad) also starred alongside the Mario Brothers in the first simultaneous multiplayer game; a game seemingly designed to tear friendships apart.

The Toads continued to be a part of New Super Mario Bros. multiplayer games, starring in three and racing into the Wii U era. During this time they got their chance to fight against Bowser for the first time, the Koopalings, Kamek and fellow rival for Smash Mario newcomer; Bowser Jr.

Now in 3D World, Toad returns as Captain Toad(seemingly a staple character now) and has returned to puzzling. Admittedly far simpler puzzling than Wario's Woods, and he certainly doesn't seem to be unaffected by gravity anymore. Boo.

Still, Toad's future is looking far better as he and his brethren continue to make playable appearances in the main Mario games. Hopefully this will continue

Chance: 100%. As meat shield again. Goddammit.
Chance: 3% as playable.

At a push. MAYBE DLC. MAYBE. But I won't hold my breath.
I'm far more hopeful for Toad in Smash 5(or 6, if 3DS counts as 5). With Rosalina being added to rep Galaxy by the looks of things, and Brawl Mario representing Super Mario Sunshine(which honestly was the best time to add Jr.) it means that there's a better chance for Toad, or Blue Toad, next time to rep 3D World.

I've wanted Toad for 15 years, a feat only one other character has matched him in(Meowth).
I got some relief last year when I discovered Super Smash Bros. Crusade, but I'd love to see the day when Toad finally kicks Peach away and uses HER as his B move. Maybe he'll use the vibe sceptor as his down and B.

I mean she'd be better with it than he would, but it's only a fair trade.

Moveset wise Toad's no where near as limited as people make out. Look at all these options for Up + B's for example:

Wanda could lift Toad up.

The cannon Toad uses to chase after Nabbit in New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. Also seen in the Toad Houses as one of the many mini games to get lives!

The obvious choice; Toads were most associated with the propeller suit of all the NSMB power ups. Used by Super Smash Crusade.

The Bubble the Toads could use to save themselves in NSMB series. Blue Toad also can use this in 3D World(although far less effectively; only when on solid ground).

As the only Mario Karter with 100% attendance record yet to be playable in Smash, Toad could rep the series easily with a Lakitu/Kart recovery. A whole Kart based moveset would be silly though; it didn't work for Excitebiker.

And of course the aforementioned super jump at the beginning of this whole thing.

Add to that a mixture of being able to manipulate the arena by plucking up Wario's Woods monsters(thus sculpting the landscape), a selection of bombs(depending on victim each colour could do differet damage ala Wario's Woods), his spores(which were actually around since Mario Tennis), his ability to spawn mushroom platforms(See Mario Sports Mix for his specials) and the potential to be able to run up walls and we have a character that can fit a lot of roles.

It's just a shame everyone fobs him off as generic, or only capable of being a Mario/Peach combo semi clone.

Cripes, sorry about that. Probably the biggest Rate Their Chances post ever, eh?

Jimmy T: 8%

Nominations: Meowth.
Let's lay my second most wanted to rest.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna be quick
Dark Pit
2% Chance
20%Want

KI has Palutena, and then Hades or Medusa. Anyone else is unlikely.

Toad
Decomfirmed. 0% Chance

Its been shown off to much, he is gone. Sorry.

50% Want
His credentials are there, I just never was that big of a fan.

Jimmy T 5.5%

Nominating Palutena x5

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dark Pittoo: 2%
want: 5%

Toad: 0.5% seriously doubt it,
Want 50% neutral

Jimmy T: 1.5% lower than whatever mona was

Noms:
Stork x2
Grovyle x3

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Dark Pit: 2%
Want: 100% I tend to like him considering I don't want Palutena, Hades, or Medusa (Sue me)

Toad: 0.5%

Jimmy T: 0.99%

x5 "Stupid bird, I am the great Leon!"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Man, Toad is biased in both categories.
The Toad supporters think that he still has a little chance.
The Toad detractors give him zeros in both categories.
Toad deserves neither of these. Look forward to a completely unbiased rating tomorrow, by mwah.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
it means that there's a better chance for Toad, or Blue Toad, next time to rep 3D World.
We all secretly know that Sakurai is going to pick Cat Mario for the 3D world rep. :troll:

Anyways

Toad:
Solely because of the new pic of the day showing that background characters can be swapped out.

Want: 35%
I was a huge Toad fan, but I really get annoyed with all of the movesets involving powerups. Propeller Suit isn't a defining trait of Toad.

Dark Pit:
Chance: 3%
As a last minute clone

Want: 10%
Not before Palutena.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Dark Pit:
Chances:6%
Want:30%

-Toad:
Chances:2%
Want:72%

-Jimmy T. prediction: 4%

Nomination:Saki X5 (I can't wait to destroy him, I mean ... :3)

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Dark Pit
chance 15% I hope it doesn't happen but Sakurai bias can happen here, but in my opinion he should remain a palette swap.
want: 0% Don't want

Toad
Chance 5%
He can remain Peach's item or remain Peach's item and become playable under Captain Toad or Blue Toad but that's just in a miracle situation. I would compare him to Servbot from Marvel vs Capcom 2 but that's a different game.
Want 50%

x5 Isa Joe

predict 7.9%

D

Deleted member

Hahaha! Sorry if I am a bit later than usual on this! I got caught up in Xenoblade!
Dark Pit and Toad have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated Toad before, please check back to see what you said on his days!

Dark Pit
Chance:
0%

The best way that he would work in Smash is by being an alternate costume for Pit, even his fans recognize this. Dark Pit could be given an original moveset and use the Dark Pit Staff, but I don't think that Sakurai would bother with giving him an original moveset since he is so easily cloneable. Also, Palutena destroys his chances really…
Hell no. That's equivalent to what Sony did with PSABR by putting both Cole and Evil Cole on their roster.

Toad

So sad to be Toad. I can't give him an absolute zero because:
1. Sakurai said that Peach's moves could be refreshed. Though, the game is pretty far into development…
2. Seeing Alfonzo replace Conductor Link when you play as Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage could leave some hope for Toad. If you play as him, Peach's neutral special would be replaced by Toadsworth or Toadette or something.
Popular guy, has been in the franchise in the beginning, and is popular in Japan… but I can't see him be playable. That 6th spot is definitely going to Bowser Jr. or no one.
Want: 70%
I am not a big fan of Toad, but I am highly sympathetic for the Toad fans! Seeing them upset and seeing how much they really wanted Toad to be playable makes me sad.

Jimmy T. Prediction: 7.90%
Seeing as how Mona's rating was rather decent, I bet Jimmy T. would do better than Ashley but worse than Mona.

Nominations: I know! I know! It's Reyn time! 5x

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I am updating the music section now. Seeing as everyone ignored it last time I am saying this again. I am adding Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer to the music section and would love some music for them (especially Mega Man).
EDIT: Done. I also added Jimmy T in for if I couldn't update tomorrow.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dark Pit:
Likelihood: 0%
He was born as a palette swap of Pit and is doomed to stay like that, I believe.

Again, Palutena.

Toad:
Likelihood: 5%
I felt like raising his chances slightly after seeing yesterday's pic, but I'm 95% certain that he stands disconfirmed. Poor guy.

Want: 50%
I already got a Mario newcomer in Rosalina, and I surely wouldn't mind another, as it is my favourite gaming franchise. At this point, I'm neutral to all possible Mario newcomers (Jr, Toad, WAA and Paper)

Jimmy T. prediction: 3.2%

Promoted AT x 5

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dark Pit

Chances: 10%: He only gets this high for being a possible late minute addition. I may like him more than pretty much any Kid Icarus Uprising Character not named Hades, but he's pretty much a recolor. Dark Pit started out as such. And should be so again in Smash 4.

Want: 5%: He gets this for still being one of the better characters in KI:U. I liked that he didn't take anyone's crap no matter who they were. Still, I think we have other counterparts/rivals that would be a better fit in Smash. Given that they look different enough from their original and have more unique powers at their disposal. Really the only saving grace that he has is that he could have different set of weapons on him, but that seems unlikely.

Toad

Chances: 15%: See the whole being a meatshield thing pretty much wrecks his chances as it is. So this 15% is mostly for DLC. He is popular. And to a lesser extent, he is important enough. Another thing that bogs him down is that, he's a generic species. Even Bandanna Dee has something to visually help him stand out from the rest of his kind. With Toad, not so much. Picking Toad is like 2 steps above from picking a Hammer Bro as a character.

Want: 30%: I do find Toad to be annoying as hell honestly. But He could be fairly interesting if handled correctly. But I have my doubts on that. Stuff based on Wario's Woods and Mario 2 can give him something to work with. But he might be better suited to use some powers from the " "New" Super Mario Bros" series. I might actually give him a free pass if he uses the Ice power instead of fire.

Jimmy T: 6%

Bowser Jr. 5x

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
R.E.A.D.Y. *Teleports in*

DARK PIT

Chance: 5% - A lot more likely as an alternate costume to Pit than a playable. However, there is always the possibility that he could be a luigified clone or the Ken/Akuma to Pit's Ryu.

Want: 45% - I actually wouldn't mind Dark Pit as a playable provided he was, again, like a "Ken" or "Akuma".

TOAD

Chance: 0.1% - I think he's done.

Want: 15% - No offense Toad fans, but I don't really care for Toad as a playable. He is fine as Peach's Neutral B. I'll say this though, I admire and respect your passion for the character. I was going to give a "0" but after seeing YoshiandToad's post I added 15%. Like seriously, I had to get a drink for that!

Jimmy T. Prediction: 10% - Dat fro' is gonna get a lot of points!

Nominations:
Tetris Stage x5

I am updating the music section now. Seeing as everyone ignored it last time I am saying this again. I am adding Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer to the music section and would love some music for them (especially Mega Man).
EDIT: Done. I also added Jimmy T in for if I couldn't update tomorrow.
I didn't ignore ya, man. :) I've just been slow in gathering the goods. Here is a few for Megaman.

MEGALOMANIA - Mega Man 2 Dr. Wily stages 1-2
MEGALOMANIA - Mega Man 3 Title screen
Mega Man and Bass Intro Stage remix
Mega Man and Bass King's Stages
Electrical Communication

And here are a few Robot Master themes.

Hornetman
Galaxyman
Sheepman

Then my mission is complete! :grin: *Teleports away*

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
1) Welcome to Smashboards.
2) You nailed the format we use in this game. Nice job.
3) Always nice to see another Toad supporter.
1)Thanks.
2) Phew, glad I didn't mess the format up.
3) Yeah, sometimes feels like Toad supporters are a rare breed. Nice to see so many on Smashboards.
Now on to the rating:

Dark Pit:
Chance and want: Abstain
Wouldn't be a good enough judge, though I personally think he's got 100% of being an alternate outfit.
(Regretting not buying the game after Christmas now, feels like I'm missing out, but PW won out in the end.)

Toad: "I'm the best"

(^The amount of TopCat nostalgia 3D world induced in my friends and I as we played. It was glorious.)
Chance: 10% (Add a zero after the one for a wishful percentage score),
As everyone else as mentioned: 100% staying under Peach's dress until required to turn into a shield. (Boo)

Want: 100% (again no surprises there)
I was about to go into the many reasons why I think Toad would be great, but a lot of my points have already been made, and YoshiandToad even added pictures for each point, which I'll admit made me feel overwhelming levels of joy. So to prevent this thread from turning into the million and one pictures of Toad, I'll do my best to keep this short.

Toad's been there since the beginning, Wario's Woods (Main character) and SMB2 (arguably the best character), where he was a speedy powerhouse who took on enemies that were all considerably bigger than he was and won. Was a bit disappointed when he just seemed to be disappearing from the lists of playable characters in games, as well as the plummeting opinion of other people as Toad because he had fears. To which point I'd always ask who did they prefer Mario or Luigi, if they said Luigi I'd ask why. Normally the response was "Because he's just more interesting than Mario". So they successfully countered their own argument against disliking Toad. A character shows greater courage if they face their fears.

Rambling aside, I was glad to see Toad back on the front line of games, even if in NSMBs series he/they weren't the Toad I grew up with. Yet, I will allow that they just wanted a different colour used because Mario was red, Luigi was green, and they needed other colours than that. *shrug*
However, then when they made Captain Toad, I was over the moon. (Not that you'd ever be able to guess, I hide it well.)

If Toad got in the game, then in all honesty, I really wouldn't mind who else was put in, because I'd have my number one most wanted character for Smash ever in. (Even if Isaac or Robin were left out, I think I could just about handle that.)

Jimmy T. prediction: 5%

Nomination:
Fire Emblem Newcomer (Not Chrom) X5

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Dark Pit:
Chance: 2%

Toad:
Chance: 0%
Want:10%

Prediction Jimmy T.:
1%

Nomination:
Tetris Stage

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Want: 15% - No offense Toad fans, but I don't really care for Toad as a playable. He is fine as Peach's Neutral B. I'll say this though, I admire and respect your passion for the character. I was going to give a "0" but after seeing YoshiandToad's post I added 15%. Like seriously, I had to get a drink for that!
The fact I managed to increase your want from 0 to 15, is drink worthy indeed. Maybe by Smash 5/6 I'll have even manage to get it even higher(providing he keeps appearing in quality games and Nintendo don't go bust by that time)

Toad: "I'm the best"

(^The amount of TopCat nostalgia 3D world induced in my friends and I as we played. It was glorious.)

Holy Crap I see the resemblance.

Does Benny Boy Toad refer to Captain Toad as "CT"?

Want: 70%
I am not a big fan of Toad, but I am highly sympathetic for the Toad fans! Seeing them upset and seeing how much they really wanted Toad to be playable makes me sad.
Brawler610; if you ever get the opportunity to play Wario's Woods, then as a fellow Bomberman fan I'd recommend it; bombs and Tetris(although Dr. Wario is probably more your scene since it stars Bomberman too). I'd be interested to hear your take on it should you get a chance.

Also what you said here is how I feel about the Ridley fans. I'm not a big fan personally, but if he misses out again, I'm going to be gutted for then fanbase. They've waited as long as we have now.

We all secretly know that Sakurai is going to pick Cat Mario for the 3D world rep. :troll:
Sadly this actually IS more likely; "It would be weird to see Cat Mario use fireballs, so he cannot be an alt outfit".

Either him or Plessie anyway.

Want: 35%
I was a huge Toad fan, but I really get annoyed with all of the movesets involving powerups. Propeller Suit isn't a defining trait of Toad.
Honestly; I agree. Propeller suit gets lumbered with him more than it should, but felt I should include it in that post due to Crusade using it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Brawler610; if you ever get the opportunity to play Wario's Woods, then as a fellow Bomberman fan I'd recommend it; bombs and Tetris(although Dr. Wario is probably more your scene since it stars Bomberman too). I'd be interested to hear your take on it should you get a chance.

Also what you said here is how I feel about the Ridley fans. I'm not a big fan personally, but if he misses out again, I'm going to be gutted for then fanbase. They've waited as long as we have now.
I actually bought Wario's Woods on the Virtual Console and I found it to be a very fun game! I got it before my Wii got corrupted and had to send it in to Nintendo. Though, I should get a chance to play it again sometime to refresh my memory on that game.

And yeah, the Ridley fans are a very passionate group. I would hate to see it if Ridley gets disconfirmed as a stage hazard or boss since that would make them upset.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Man, Toad is biased in both categories.
The Toad supporters think that he still has a little chance.
The Toad detractors give him zeros in both categories.
Toad deserves neither of these. Look forward to a completely unbiased rating tomorrow, by mwah.
If this was about a very special Toad, my want would be VERY high. I just use the arguements I have to justify my rating of 0%. I keep bias out of my ratings and noted that this day WILL piss off a lot of people.
I don't necessarily want a generic Toad, rather one that stands out. Like Captain Toad, Toadsworth. Just not Blue Toad (Sorry, Toad supporters.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
DARK PIT:
Chance: 3%
Want: 30%

TOAD:

Sorry for getting your hopes up if you thought I would do some big thing, I'm in a bit of a rush.

Jimmy Prediction: 3.5%

Noms: Palutena x5

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
If this was about a very special Toad, my want would be VERY high. I just use the arguements I have to justify my rating of 0%. I keep bias out of my ratings and noted that this day WILL piss off a lot of people.
I don't necessarily want a generic Toad, rather one that stands out. Like Captain Toad, Toadsworth. Just not Blue Toad (Sorry, Toad supporters.)
Understandable, your point is basically what most Toad supporters I know want. So no offense taken.

I'd prefer Toad (Captain Toad) over just blue or random other colour Toad. I consider the trade mark, recognised world wide Toad (Red spots, blue jacket, and the destroyer of death) to be a character that I grew up with. Which is why the Toad I want in, is The Toad, if that makes sense, (or Captain Toad, Boss Toad or whatever you might like to call him.)

I mean if I have to settle for Blue or even yellow Toad just so Toad can get in, then yes (which will be where we differ, naturally), but I'll have to switch sides to play on the red team (instead of green like I normally do), because I want Captain Toad.

Does Benny Boy Toad refer to Captain Toad as "CT"?
Yes, yes he does.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dark Pit:

Chance: 0%
I ask you this: How would you tell him and Pit apart quickly in a team match? One would have black hair? You honestly think that's enough. He's cool, but he'll be a palette swap, or an AT if they didn't give themselves enough time to get Magnus/Pyrrhon/Eggplant Wizard in as the KI AT.

One pit is enough.

Toad: 0%
He's a move.

Honestly don't have any connection to him, he's still just an NPC in my mind (even despite his recent playable appearances), no more important than Error or the Invisible Lady of Cornelia... but honestly less memorable... I know others disagree, but there's my opinion.

Jimmy T: 1.95%
I dunno, don't really understand how people rate Warioware, because it seems to be unlike any other series, so have some numbers.

Pokémon AT*5

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Dark Pit Likelihood: 0%
Want: 5%

Toad Likelihood: 0%
Want: 40%

Jimmy T: 3.65%

Wrestler x5

Status