• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Doc's chances: 12%
idk, with Toon Link as a late brawl addition being worked on so early, it certainly seems to me like it is within the realm of possibilities. Not before Mewtwo, and maybe before Roy though.

Want: 65%
One of my Melee secondaries, so I'd be rather thrilled to see him again.

Rhythm Heaven: 35%
The games are big in Japan, though they're really obscure over here. I don't think Japan talks about them a lot in terms of Smash Bros. because the characters just don't seem to work in a fighter at first glance.

Want: 65%
I'm all for modern franchises getting their turn in the limelight.

5x nomz for Mario series newcomer.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Dr. Mario (as a separate character)
Chances: 1%
Sakurai doesn't need to pad the roster. If DLC existed, I would raise to 25%, because that seems like easy DLC to me.
Want: 0%
No thanks.

Rhythm heaven character
Chance: 5%
Lack of popularity internationally hurts. I've never heard of the series before this site. It's a non-combat series (same with AC, but AC is a monster internationally with sales). I don't really see anything in terms of characters that stands out, although I think Karate Joe would be cool. I am of the opinion that the WTF character is associated with representing key aspects of Nintendo (depending on what your stance with WFT being WTF, either was, schlim represents the casual market very well). Rhythm heaven would not fufill that I believe.
60%
Karate Joe seems cool.

Prediction: Knuckles
1.79%

Nominations
Matthew (GS) x 5

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Crap. I missed voting for Dark Samus. We do revisit characters sometimes right? Because I'd actually would want to play as Dark Samus. I'd put her chances at like 55%. She could make a decent later addition character. And still have enough unique attack up her sleeves like Wolf does. As for how much I want the character, I'd say 90%. I don't like Dark Samus as much as Ridley, but I still find the character really cool. So I'm interested in seeing her/it in Smash.

Anyway, on to Doctor Mario.

Want: 20% I can't really say that I'd be super excited to see him come back, we already have both Mario and Luigi. Can't say I'd be super dissapointed either. But I suppose that I might be more interested in what ways he could be changed. Maybe if he played like a mix of Melee Mario and Doc. Or the differently colored pills had certain effects. Like red ones burning and blue ones freezing.

Chances: 15% The roster doesn't need to be "padded" so to speak. But I wouldn't completely doubt the idea of Doc returning. Unlike Pichu and Young Link, Doc was planned to make a return to Brawl. But he was cut like Roy and a few others. And Doc wasn't replaced like Young Link was with Toon Link, so if that helps in way what-so-ever there's that too.

Rhythm Heaven character:

Want: 5%, Not all that interested honestly. Who would you go with? The wrestler guy? Or maybe the Karate dude?

Chances: 5% Anything is possible if handled correctly. Though you might need to dig a bit deep on this one.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Dr Mario
The only reason im giving him some chance is because he has been in previous smash games which gives him some edge. He would be better as an alternate costume for Mario.

Rhythm Heaven Character
Chance: 10%
Im not really interested in a character from that series, nor do I think that it has a big chance.

Knuckles: 2.3%

Nominations
Goemon x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dr. Mario:
Likelihood: 6%
One of the less likely Mario characters. What he does have going for him is that he was planned to return in Brawl, and can be added easily as a clone. He can also be added as an alt, if Sakurai is open to it.

Want: 99%
Taking off 1% because he's a clone.

Rhythm Heaven character:
Likelihood: 2%
The series is largely unknown in the west, and isn't really big or popular enough to get a character, imo.

Nope. I'm unfamiliar with the series.

Knuckles prediction: 1.23%
GamesRadar thinks he's gonna get in. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you. Herr Moderator. I'm going to start renominating Tingle soon... I suggest you do the same.
I'm on it.
Tingle x 5

Also, word on the street is you can make polls disappear. You make the one at the top of this thread disappear, and I make your name appear in the special thanks of the OP.
Done.
I'm already in the 'Special Thanks' section as a Music contributor, but being mentioned twice definitely won't hurt. :p

We got a deal?​

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
That's one of the shortcomings of statistics, Erimir. They're very useful things, and I'm very glad that you're putting them to use here, but they can't account for EVERYTHING. Metroid hasn't sold particularly great, but it has some things up its sleeve that kind of throw off your calculations. First of all, it's a critically acclaimed series. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are pretty regular customers on "Top 50 Games of All Time" lists; other games in the series are also noted for quality. While critical acclaim isn't anywhere near as important as sales, it does need to be considered.
Well, I... kinda... explicitly said that I didn't agree with them. So I didn't say they accounted for everything. I agree that Metroid has more influence than its sales might lead you to believe. I pretty much went with what I would've said without the model on that one.

Also if I get bored some day, I might add critical reception to the model, see if it helps any ;) That might give an idea how true that is. Of course, old game ratings are a bit spotty, and there are re-release ratings... probably more work than it's worth.
Now, please don't take me for a Metroid fanboy; I'm anything but that. When I was a lad, I played and vaguely enjoyed the first two Prime games, but I didn't consider them anything special (I obviously have to go back and play them again now that I'm older). Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid were great games, as was the original, but they're FAR from my favorites of all time. Noneteheless, I see the cultural impact of the series and I note that another character is fitting; I think Ridley would be amazing to play as, so I'm supporting him.
Well, based on that it's likely that I like Metroid more than you. I gave Ridley a pretty good chance, based on his popularity and Metroid's importance. Sakurai's prior statements unfortunately hurt and Ridley would be difficult to implement. So I'm not as bullish as some. But I don't need my model to tell me Dark Samus is unlikely, I just like including its predictions to add more information, not to slavishly follow it.

Anyway...

Dr Mario

Popularity: Ummmm... Well, Dr. Mario is a well-known and I think well-liked game. I like it anyway. It's got two great tunes (which have already appeared in Smash).

Relevancy: Well, Dr. Mario has tended to appear on most Nintendo consoles. The Virtual Console and eShop/WiiWare has made it unnecessary to even do much. But Dr. Mario is kinda like Tetris... omnipresent, but not generally making a splash.

Design: He's a clone. They could add some more medical themed stuff, but there's not a whole lot there.

Alternate costumes: This really hurts, because Dr. Mario is a perfect choice for this. He's just Mario in a doctor outfit, so it's not short-shrifting a character to make him a costume. Re-skin the fireballs as pills, change the sound effects... and voilà!

Dr Mario chances: 1%
Only if Sakurai gets in a rush to add more characters. Otherwise, if they considered him, it'd be pretty hard not to just look at the male Wii Fit Trainer and say... he'd make a great alt costume. Being a veteran and part of the Forbidden 7 keeps him from being a zero.

Dr Mario want: 10%
As a character. 100% as an alternate costume.
There's also the fact that it's twice as successful as both Golden Sun and Sin and Punishment, both of which get extremely optimistic support from people, and more successful than Punch-Out, Starfy (another Japanese-centric character), and Custom Robo (whose Ray received tons of support regardless of relative obscurity), although I admit Punch-Out wins in terms of sheer iconic status.
Citations needed.

My calculations show:

Punch-Out ~4.3 million (possibly more, sales figures for the SNES game are hard to find) in sales
Rhythm Heaven: >4.2 million
Golden Sun ~3 million
Starfy 2.1 million
Custom Robo >1.3 million
Sin & Punishment ~0.5 million

Seems unlikely that it's twice as many sales as Golden Sun, and it's way more than twice as many as Sin & Punishment and the way you ordered those comparisons makes it look like you think Custom Robo and Starfy have more sales than Golden Sun.
In an era after Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, saying that the series doesn't lend itself to a fighter sells Sakurai and his team short
I think people are overinterpreting the inclusion of those two.

They're also among Nintendo's best-selling series. Animal Crossing has 4-6 times the sales, Wii Fit about twice that of AC. Villager was not be disqualified by AC not lending itself to a fighter - that doesn't mean that he wasn't hurt by it. It seems likely to me that if AC only had 4 million in sales, the chances of Villager surmounting that problem would've been a lot lower. Wii Fit Trainer is even more strange a choice, of course, but the difference between her and Rhythm Heaven characters? Everyone knows Wii Fit. She's a "WTF" character but that "WTF" most definitely does not stand for "Who the ****?".

Rhythm Heaven character chance: 8.5%

So the thing is that Rhythm Heaven doesn't have amazing sales. They're good enough to get a character if it were more conventional, of course. But combine that with the unconventional aspects, and I think we have a low chance. Promoting Rhythm Heaven through a stage? Absolutely. Promoting the series doesn't require giving it a character slot.

One problem is that it's not a combat-based series, which hurts a bit. And it's also not well-known in the West, which hurts too. It doesn't have an obvious mascot, which hurts a little bit (since it makes a "who the ****?" reaction more likely). And creating a character that's fun to play as that incorporates rhythm in a game where the music will have nothing to do with the Rhythm Heaven character seems a much harder task to me than others think. And to be honest, the characters just don't look that interesting to me. The crude line drawing style for Karate Joe might work in Rhythm Heaven, I'm not sure it's as appealing outside of it. Despite the lower sales, an Elite Beat Agent would make a much more appealing character, and probably has better move set potential as well.

Rhythm Heaven want: 5%
I'd much rather series with interesting characters get new reps. Rhythm Heaven would be great for a new stage though.

Knuckles: 0.5%
I dunno why anyone would think this would happen, but someone will. Sneak peek of my scores: 0_0

Nominations:
5x Young Link

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dr. Mario:

Chance: 2% - Dr. Mario was put in originally to beef up the roster. These days, there's no need for that, and even then there's a lot of other and better semi-clones to include rather than a second Mario. As a standalone character I don't see him happening, I do however think he has good chances of being an alternate costume to Mario.

Want: 2% - Probably the stupidest semi-clone in Melee only next to Young Link imo. It's just a better Mario, how about making Mario good instead of just having a better version of him? He has little reason to take up a roster spot, and wouldn't even be in the running if it wasn't for Sakurai wanting Melee's roster to be bigger.

Rhythm Heaven Character:

Chance: 5% - Meh

Want: 5% - Meh

Knuckles Prediction: 0.45%

Nominations:
5x Brawl Pokémon and Mewtwo

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Where did you get your PhD?:

Chance: 1.2%
I think he's the fourth most likely alt costume though (beaten by male wii fit, wario and female villager).

Want: 10%
Meh, it'd be nice to have him back, but he'd be better off as a costume.

Rhythm Heaven Playable Character:

Chance: 9%
Just short of 10. The series is popular, especially in Japan, but not huge. It's also not really got an obvious character choice, though Marshal and Rhythm Girl fit best in my eyes.. still neither of them are likely.

Want: 70%
I've said before that Rhythm Paradise would be better suited to a stage or Assist Trophy, but I love the series, and would enjoy the surprise of having more representation... assuming of course that the representation would be Rhythm Girl or Marshal.

Knuckles: 0.8%
I've been nominating him and I don't see his chances being higher than 5%, though I personally think Sakurai's enough of a classics fan to include the full trio if he adds more, and I know others think he'd only add one more tops (which would probably be tails, though some no doubt argue shadow), the scores will reflect this.

Slime*5
(I'm not goo-ing to let the thread die Gr-ooze, my blubbly slime puns will keep the goo-mans interested I'm sure!)

No Control

Smash Apprentice
So I've been totally bored over the last half an hour or so trying to learn to use a new computer statistics program when I decided to see how biased people were in their predictions. I picked a random vote (in this case, it ended up being the Dixie re-vote), and did a correlation analysis of it.

Turns out the correlation between Dixie chance and Dixie want is r=.63, with a p-value of <.0001. This means that the correlation has less than a 1/10,000 probability of occurring due to random variance and statistically significantly reflects a bias in people's thinking about character's chances.

In summary - people's perceptions of how likely a character is are heavily biased by how much they like that character. Thanks for the inadvertent help in learning how to use this statistics program by the way Smashboards!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So I've been totally bored over the last half an hour or so trying to learn to use a new computer statistics program when I decided to see how biased people were in their predictions. I picked a random vote (in this case, it ended up being the Dixie re-vote), and did a correlation analysis of it.

Turns out the correlation between Dixie chance and Dixie want is r=.63, with a p-value of <.0001. This means that the correlation has less than a 1/10,000 probability of occurring due to random variance and statistically significantly reflects a bias in people's thinking about character's chances.

In summary - people's perceptions of how likely a character is are heavily biased by how much they like that character. Thanks for the inadvertent help in learning how to use this statistics program by the way Smashboards!
I think what's going on is a little bit of that, but you're missing another interpretation: chance and want ratings are correlated with a third variable of overall popularity. Or at least, that would explain variation between characters. For a single character that correlation might vary considerably depending the character. Donkey Kong is a series likely to get a newcomer, and it has two plausible and reasonably popular candidates. So I would guess there'd be a greater role of bias in picking between them. But others might not be the same, like Tingle where even his fans recognize he's unlikely.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So Mario week was ruined for me, but never mind; Time to rate some chances!

Dr. Mario
I think by this point everyone's covered the main points: Alt costumes getting in the way, roster is no longer in need of a buffering and there even being better choices for clones. Although who knows? He was planned for Brawl so there's a chance Sakurai just really likes the character.

Want: 10%
With Toad now confirmed as out the running, I'm pretty indifferent to all the Mario Newcomer potentials. Doc's a crap choice, but maybe it's better the devil I know than the devil I don't?

Alternatively maybe I'll be happier with no Mario newcomer as a result. Bah humbug!

Rhythm Heaven character:
Probably not happening for all the reasons Erimir stated, specifically this part:

"And creating a character that's fun to play as that incorporates rhythm in a game where the music will have nothing to do with the Rhythm Heaven character seems a much harder task to me than others think"

I was a semi supporter of the series getting some playable representation, but I think this might be the most valid point against one I've heard. I'd say it's chances for a stage are a bit better.

Want: 50%
I'd be down with one playable character from the series, but I'm honestly not sure who would be the most appropriate character. I'm not sold on Karate Joe if I'm honest.

Nominations:
Substantial Yoshi Changes (Yarn, Babies, etc) X 5

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Dr. Mario (insert "House" joke here)
Likelihood: 12% - Like Roy and Mewtwo, he's a Melee cuts that was meant to be in Brawl, which gives him some degree of priority, but let's face it; he's just Mario dressed in a doctor's coat. He's not his younger version (Like Young Link and Pichu are to Link and Pikachu) or an artistically deviating counterpart (Like Toon Link and Paper Mario are to Link and Mario), he's just Mario, on the current age and current art style(sans Doctor getup). Which would technically make him a literal clone of Mario.
Want: Depends.
As an individual character? 5% - Slot waste. Me no likey.
As an alt. costume? 100% - I prefer playing as the Dr. over Mario, not only cuz of increased power, but the fact that playing as a doctor felt more entertaining than playing as a plumber. Like his trophy states, it's a matter of tastes. Oh, and BRIGHTLY COLORED PILLS!

EDIT: Before I forget.
Rhythm Heaven Character
Likelihood and want: 5%
It's funny. We could get LOADS of things from RH. Tons of music, tons of trophies, at least one item and a stage. Yet it has very little to offer when it comes to characters, and even then, they are not that necessary. To put it in a way, Rhythm Heaven is to Smash 4 as Animal Crossing is to Brawl.

TOUGHER THAN LEATHER!
Prediction: 0.7% - Meh. What can I say?

Nominations
Zero (Kirby Mega Man) x5

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Chances: 20%. Yeah, he was originally going to be in Brawl - so? At the end of the day, he never made it in. That shows that either Sakurai changed his mind partway through and decided to cut Dr Mario from the game, or he was so low priority that he was never finished on time. Either way, Sakurai clearly doesn't think Dr Mario is really all that important. He has a shot, but not a very big one.

Want: 10%. He's a really random choice and I will never understand why he was there in the first place

Rhythm Heaven rep: 10%? I have no idea really, just pulling a number out of my ass

Want: 0%.

Knuckles prediction: 1%. Even 1% is probably being generous, but hey

Concept: Mario subseries (Yoshi, Wario, Paper Mario) rep X5

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Doctor Mario

Chance: 5% Meh I know he was in melee, which I never played, and thats about it
Want: 2%

Rhythm Heaven character:

Chance: 3% Who?

Nominations:

Aeron x 5

Morbi

Scavenger
Doctor Mario

Chance: 50%
He is one of the only reasonable choices in my opinion. I believe he will get in one way or another, costume perhaps? He is easy to develop and he has Smash relevance.

Want: 100%
I am an adamant believer that they should cut Mario and replace him with Dr. Mario. He used to be one of my mains, and quite frankly, he is one of the only appealing Mario characters. He isn't childish, essentially he is a drug dealer (impersonating a doctor), Smash needs more of that. I reminisce about that days of over dosing my enemies with chill pills.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Dr. Mario - 17%

He was low priority in Brawl, but he was still planned. I really don't think Sakurai cares about the Doc being in Smash anymore though.

Want - 5% I don't want him back unless he gets a decently revamped moveset.

Rhythm Heaven Character - 10% Honestly I don't even know much about this seires.

Want - 0%

Knuckles Prediction - 3%

x5 Count Bleck.

D

Deleted member

Do you think that it's worth rating Toad for a third time? It looks like today's Pic of the Day was the final nail in the coffin.

D

Deleted member

Where's the Groose?
He said yesterday that he will have to extend this day; Saturday will be the earliest time where he can end it. So, we have to keep this thread alive for the time being by rating Dr. Mario and our Concept for today or at least discuss something in regards to the current ratings (like No Brawl Cuts or something).

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Do you think that it's worth rating Toad for a third time? It looks like today's Pic of the Day was the final nail in the coffin.
I don't think it makes any difference.

What is different from before, other than two months have passed without Toad being revealed? No newcomers have been revealed since E3, so I wouldn't make anything of those 2 months anyway.

So... when we first saw Toad as part of Peach's move set, what was the argument that he still had some chance? The fact that Peach's move set could be changed (say, to use Toadsworth instead) or something like that. That's still entirely possible. And Sakurai is still making cryptic comments on the pictures with Toad.

Maybe you could argue that if Toad was going to be in, Sakurai would refrain from posting pictures of Toad as part of Peach's move set after the initial picture.

But as far as I can tell, this picture doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. If you were convinced Toad wouldn't get a slot, it doesn't change that. If you thought he still had a chance after his initial appearance as part of Peach's move set, nothing about today's picture makes those scenarios any less likely IMO.

Maybe some people will have lost some of their optimism for Toad, but personally, I think it's irrelevant.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The Groose is loose for now. But yeah, let's NOT renominate Toad. Because now it's pretty much Bowser Junior as one of the leading competitors for Mario Rep.

D

Deleted member

The Groose is loose for now. But yeah, let's NOT renominate Toad. Because now it's pretty much Bowser Junior as one of the leading competitors for Mario Rep.
In my opinion, it's going to be Bowser Jr. or no one at this point for our Mario newcomer. (unless Sakurai comes out and surprises everyone with Toad or some other Mario character)
I'm leaning more towards that we will get a Mario newcomer. Every character from the Mario series that was playable in Brawl has been confirmed at this point (with reveals being close together), so that makes me think that we will get another character. I think a factor into this will be if Luigi is an unlockable character or if he will be an initial character.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Citations needed.

My calculations show:

Punch-Out ~4.3 million (possibly more, sales figures for the SNES game are hard to find) in sales
Rhythm Heaven: >4.2 million
Golden Sun ~3 million
Starfy 2.1 million
Custom Robo >1.3 million
Sin & Punishment ~0.5 million
Um, the interesting thing here is that I was basing my post on information gathered from your own thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/franchise-representation-vs-sales.337963/

Unrepresented franchise sales:
>4.2 million - Rhythm Heaven
>4.0 million - (Advance) Wars
3.6 million - Golden Sun
3.6 million - Wave Race
3.1 million - Punch-Out!!
3.1 million - Pilotwings
2.1 million - Nintendo Land
2.1 million - Starfy
2.1 million - Super Mario RPG
>2.0 million - 1080 Snowboarding
1.8 million - Fossil Fighters
>1.2 million - Custom Robo
1 million - Balloon Fight
0.8 million - Xenoblade Chronicles (note: limited supplies, not demand!)
0.9 million - Chibi-Robo
0.7 million - Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan
0.5 million - Sin & Punishment
0.5 million - The Last Story
That aside, yea, the selling twice as much as golden sun was indeed an exaggeration, but on all the other points, it's based on your data. What I wonder now is how Punch-Out went up a million in sales. Was the initial data wrong?

As for the argument itself, I feel that the idea of what franchises can fit a combat-based gameplay is at least somewhat biased to your own conceptions of what fits that criteria. By that logic, Star Fox and F-Zero make no sense either, but the fact they were placed in earlier Smash games means we don't even consider that a problem anymore.
Same goes for several characters who conceivably should not lend themselves to fighting games, such as R.O.B., Dr. Mario and Peach, and this was even before Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Please, if a character represents the company well and fits in the game, then of course it will happen regardless of how well the series lends itself to combat.

Yes, the WFT is an example of what random crap Sakurai can pull, but the idea of fighters from games that wouldn't lend themselves to a fighting game is not entirely a new concept. What it all boils down to is how well the character represents a Nintendo All-Star cast, how well they fit, and how their gameplay would contribute to the balance and fighter diversity of the game.
Rhythm Heaven fits all these criteria, and arguably the one that faces the most challenge is the contribution of the gameplay, since incorporating a rhythm based moveset would be difficult. (Assuming they task themselves with doing this, since conceivably it'd work just as well to have a character that uses moves based on Rhythm games from the series without there needing to be rhythmic timing or anything of that sort.) Now that's an argument I'll accept and concede as being a huge gap in the potential for a rep from this series, albeit not one that can't be overcome in a game where Villager can get a moveset in which planting a tree, watering it, and bringing it down to smash SOMEHOW works.

Also, like you say, the WFT idea doesn't translate well when it's a character no one knows about, but arguably a lot of the suggestions here, even Isaac, would ellicit that response from the main demographic of this game (ie. everyone.) If we're honest to ourselves, there's always a distinct number of Smash characters that the casual player doesn't know **** about ... I've seen kids who boast how good they're at Smash and know Ike as "that swordsman." But that's the point, it makes those characters icons of their respective franchises and winds up encouraging people who would have never picked up the game to suddenly care. It's why Marth is still used to sell Fire Emblem, because even if the game has completely different lords and storylines, once casual fans hear Marth mentioned along with Fire Emblem they'll think "oh, that's the game from that guy in Smash! I might give it a try!" And that was a character only surprising to us here in the west because in Japan they knew the series and the character. So why are you telling me now that the west being mostly clueless about Rhythm Heaven has a negative impact? Their games have been localized twice already, don't see why this discourages anything in the first place.

And then, I don't understand, I really don't understand, why people give so much weight to sales and relevance, but then when a series has less sales and hasn't been seen for years, but their characters, conveniently, align to their idea of fitting in ... then they make sense. Please, popularity is big, definitely, but not the ultimate decider, particularly when we are talking about series that's Nintendo is very obviously keeping in people's minds.

Which is the other point. People love to tout how Sakurai wants to represent new series, but how does this not benefit Rhythm Heaven? Like I said before, it's easily one of the most successful recent Nintendo franchises. It's a matter of consistency that if other, less succesful franchises receive pushes from people based on "Sakurai wants to represent new series", Rhythm Heaven merits that same push.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Honestly I think it's best that a Rhythm Heaven character not have a rhythm-based moveset. Maybe a special or two could require good timing like Dancing Blade, but a full moveset like that would just be too cumbersome.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Um, the interesting thing here is that I was basing my post on information gathered from your own thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/franchise-representation-vs-sales.337963/[
Oh I guess I didn't update it. It didn't have Super Punch-Out sales figures, so I assumed they were similar, but to be conservative I used a significantly lower number. That's why it's higher now.

As for the argument itself, I feel that the idea of what franchises can fit a combat-based gameplay is at least somewhat biased to your own conceptions of what fits that criteria. By that logic, Star Fox and F-Zero make no sense either
They're mercenaries and a bounty hunter. I didn't say game play was the only way a character could fit in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think his want rating may slightly increase ironically now he seems to be a no hoper. Yesterday we had a lot of Toad fans suddenly come out the woodwork and say they were disappointed which was quite nice.

But is there much point? He's been rated twice now and he's the closest character we've had to total deconfirmation(Aside from maybe Xernas and arguably Balloon Fighter), those chance ratings are gonna be lower than Cole's.

That would be severely depressing that a reoccurring playable protagonist in Nintendo's flagship series (that has even starred in his own game) would have less chance of being included in Super Smash Bros. 4 than an easy to forget one time villain of Zelda(and we know what that series' villain turnaround is like outside Ganon/dorf and Vaati).

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Oh I guess I didn't update it. It didn't have Super Punch-Out sales figures, so I assumed they were similar, but to be conservative I used a significantly lower number. That's why it's higher now.

They're mercenaries and a bounty hunter. I didn't say game play was the only way a character could fit in.
Likewise, three commonly requested Rhythm Heaven characters are a wrestler, a karateka, and a samurai.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Which is the other point. People love to tout how Sakurai wants to represent new series, but how does this not benefit Rhythm Heaven? Like I said before, it's easily one of the most successful recent Nintendo franchises. It's a matter of consistency that if other, less succesful franchises receive pushes from people based on "Sakurai wants to represent new series", Rhythm Heaven merits that same push.
I don't see evidence of Sakurai really wanting to represent new series. The two new Nintendo series for SSB4 are huge Nintendo franchises, that really, in all honesty, there isn't any other non-represented series that's comparable when talking about non-dormant Nintendo franchises.

Being a non-combat series definitely hurts RH. Star Fox and F-Zero were big Nintendo franchises when they were initially included on the 64 roster. Not to mention, both involve combat (you shoot things in Star Fox and you are trying to run people off the road in F-Zero). It's all the factors together that what makes me think that an RH characters is on the lower side of unlikelihood, with many other series unfortunately.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario
Chance: 10% - He's far more likely to be an alt.
Want: 5% - We don't need more than one Mario.

Rhythm Heaven rep
Chance: 10% - I know very little about the franchise.
Want: 50% - I'm completely indifferent.

Knuckles prediction: 3.3%

Nominations: Aeron x5

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario

Chance: 1% - When Sakurai said that not every character from every Smash game would return, I can't help but think of Dr. Mario.

Want: 20% - He was awesome in Melee but his time is up.

Rhythm Heaven Character

Chance: 25% - If it's as popular as I hear, then there is a decent chance.

Want: 55% - Mostly indifferent, but if they can make a fun character that creatively incorporates rhythm in his/her moveset, then I do not have a reason to say no.

Knuckles Prediction: 1.35% - The "one 'rep' per 3rd party" sentiment is strong.

Nominations:
Nintendog x5

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Ugh, if only there was an Alternate Costume chances rating as well, because then the Doctor would have a better diagnosis.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
well this is the rate their chance thread,
maybe if we ask Groose, he can make it happen,
or we can just rate the character as an alternate costume, instead of rating them as an actual character, whatever works:awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom