• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Takamaru Prediction 70%: Compared to more recent characters, he doesnt have much of a chance, but because smash has at least 1 retro character, id say he has a pretty good chance considering Nintendo Land. If Nintendo thinks that a Japanese only game with 1 entry beats out star fox, pokemon, and kirby for nintendo land, id say his chances are pretty good.

Want: 60%. He is a retro character, and smash needs at least 1 per game. He looks pretty cool. My main reason is that if he gets into smash bros, he is more than likely to get a new good game like pit.

Lucario: 55%

Nominations:
Bomberman x5

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Prediction: 45% He's been a popular pick on fan rosters since Brawl, and he at least has some kind of modern representation. That said, it's hard to say if we'll see a retro newcomer this time or if the retro vets will outprioritize him.

Want: 25% Meh. I'd prefer him over a clone or a similarly same-y character (*coughfalcowolflucascough*), but I'll take just about any other big name newcomer before this guy.

Lucario: 30% There's a lot of competition for the Pokemon reps as usual, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Pikachu and Jigglypuff continue to be the only series survivors. Newtwo could probably continue refining his mechanics and moveset.

Nominations:
Zoroark x5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Takamaru
Likelihood: 27%

Want: 5%
I dont know much about him other than hes in Nintendoland and hes a samurai, and samurais are awesome. Thats the only reason he gets a rating from me.

Lucario: 38%

Nominations: Rayman x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Takamaru Chance: 85% I heard Takamaru would be added in Smash if he had appeared in another game. This must be chance considering some well known appearances in a few games (SW3 and Nintendoland)

Takamaru Want: 90% Actually pretty hyped, based on how many times I played Samurai Jack and became OP with him in PTE:XL.

Lucario Prediction: 48.7% I'm pretty sure most people will still like him, but if were going to have Mewtwo, we can't have him over(over)representing Pokemon. Best served for DLC.

Oh man I gotta spend this extra nominations wisely, hmm....

x 10 Tom Nook!!!!!! :troll:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Takamaru: Likelihood: 45%. Appears to be the most likely out of the retro adds, and it seems like we will at least get one retro add based on Sakurai's comments. Retro adds are the characters least affected by popularity, because they are added precisely because they are not well known and can be not very popular because of that. So I don't think his supposed popular affects his chances all that much.
Want: 50%. He has a sword so I would probably considering using him. But never played his game so I don't know too much about him.
Lucario: Prediction: 35.38%
Nominations: Waluigi x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I love despite all of the "Who?" notions towards Owain he still scored higher than Mii in want. Also, for once we were more negative about a character than GameFAQs.

Anyways.

Takamaru:

Likelihood: 45% - Seems like if we're gonna get a retro character it'll be him. Still, not quite sure if we'll get one yet though.

Want: 30% - He's okay, but a fairly boring choice imo.

Lucario Prediction: 32% - Because many are gonna take it that Mewtwo needs to replace him.

Nominations:
5x Ike

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Retro characters are fun and give you a lot of freedom to make a fun character with. Samurai are cool and allow for an interesting fighting style not seen in Smash.

Takamaru:
Chances: 70%
I can't think of a better choice of retro character, and there's pretty much always atleast one, though there's so many to choose from I can't give him too high a chance.

Want: 100%
One of the characters I'm most excited by the prospects of.

Lucario: 64.20%
People like him, in both smash and pokémon, I see him doing well.

Slime*5

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Takamaru
Likelihood: 50% - don1t know much about him, but since he has been featured in recent games and is also a retro character, I think he has a chance to get in.

Want: 40% - I mean, he sounds cool and all, but I've never played his original game, and that's usually a let-down for me when it comes to playing as a character.

Lucario Guess: 65% - Well, he was on the last SSB and is also one of the most important non-Legendary Pokémon in the franchise.

Nominations: Zoroark x5

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Takamaru - 10%
Taka-who? I hadn't even heard of this character until I started browsing this forum, where he seems to have become the top retro pick by virtue of having a mini game in Nintendo Land. Maybe the most hardcore Nintendo fans and Wii U early adopters know of him (two groups which I'd imagine share significant overlap), but I can't imagine the greater majority has any idea who he is. I mean, at least he's out there now, and maybe Nintendo has plans to revive him like Pit back in Brawl, but I have trouble seeing him as a likely addition just because he appeared in a mini-game collection.
Want - 0% - He's a swordsman (a samurai no less!), which I tend to like, but I just don't care about the character at all. Sorry.

Lucario Prediction - 66.7%
People are surprisingly pessimistic about this guy. He'll get a somewhat low rating compared to other vets as a result, but he shouldn't do too terribly.

Nominations
Toon Zelda/Tetra x5

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Takamaru's chances: 85%
Only thing that really hurts him is japan only for most of his life.

Want: 70%
Pretty cool swordsman who'd be really unique

Predicting 37% for Lucario.

Nomz: x5 Ice climbers

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Yay my prediction was close in some way but no dice... Again :p
Likeliness: 60% Well there's a good chance we'll have another retro newcomer and Takamaru is easily one of the more likely candidates for this spot
Want: 60% I have no personal attachment but I think he should be in
Lucario: 42.5%
Nomz x2 Jigglypuff
x2 Waddle Dee
x1 Mr. Game and Watch

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Takamaru ~63.5%
Retro, brought back in Nintendo Land, and a great representative for Japan. Not being so popular, might hurt his perceived likeliness but I have a feeling Sakurai would have fun bringing him back.

Want~ 70%
Great potential, and an eastern flair brings this guy quite high among my list of wanted characters. Also: Sheik vs Takamaru matches for epic ninjas vs samurai action.

Lucario~50%
Eh, I feel likes 50 is a bit of a cop out, but really, he's either going to be replaced by the flavor of the month or he's not.

Noms:
Genesect x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Takamaru

Chance - 80% - I kind of consider him to be the most likely retro character of them all. Considering the amount of exposure this guy is getting recently, I would not be surprised at all if Takamaru was our retro pick. The only reason he's not getting a higher score is the fact that Sakurai could always blindside us with some other retro we didn't expect.

Want - 60% - I used to be more exited about him, but his almost inevitability has dulled my excitement about his inclusion. Still, a samurai with shuriken is just plain cool, and I would have no problems with him.

Lucario Prediction - 49% - While I expect a lot of Smashbords to be more optimistic in his return, FAQS, as usual, will give us the "not recent" treatment.

Nominations
Pokémon Trainer X3
Bandana Waddle Dee X2

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Takamaru Prediction: None. I am abstaining from this vote as not only have I not heard of him, but my vote would be such an outlier I'm lead to believe I'm definitely missing something.

Want: 10% Eh he's a sword user and I don't know who he is. That said, I guess a samurai sounds kinda interesting, so he is leaps and bounds more desirable than Mii or Pacman.

Lucario: 50% I really don't know. A lot of people seem to think he will be dropped. A lot don't.

Nominations:
Geno x5

•Col•

Smash Champion
Takamaru
Likelihood: 33%
Want: 15%

Don't hate Takamaru, and definitely wouldn't mind at all if he appeared in Smash 4, but I can't say I'd be torn up if he didn't appear.

Lucario prediction: 50%

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Sakurai also mentioned that he would add Takamaru if he features in a new game.
I've seen quite a few people mention this, but any chance I could get a source? I know it was something he said years ago so digging it up may proof difficult. I tried some basic Google-fu but to no avail. Then again my Google-fu is rather weak.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Takamaru Prediction: 70% He's probably the most likely retro character to get in due to his appearance in Nintendo Land, which introduced him to many people who had never heard of him before. But the retro character choice could be anyone, since they're always an interesting surprise.
Takamaru Want: 20% I'd be fine if he got a spot on the roster, I just don't really have much interest in playing as him. He's a sword user that I feel might resemble Marth in his fighting styles, but what do I know? I could be totally wrong and actually enjoy playing as him.

Lucario: 45%

Nominations:
Masked Man x3
Waluigi x2

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow, for once GameFaqs was kinder to a character...Poor Owain...

Takamaru time!

Likelihood: 65% I feel.
Retros can go in various ways, but I do think he has the best chance of any retro.

Want: 75%
I'd much prefer Muddy Mole as the retro character this time...

Predicting a 48% for Lucario because GameFaqs is dumb.

Nominating Ice Climbers x5

EDIT: So anyway, I see that the OP lacks music for Takamaru and Owain. For Owain, I'd suggest this, as this is the theme that plays on his recruitment map. For Takamaru, this is the main theme of his game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Takamaru: 75%
I think he has a really good shot. He's the most likely retro rep. And it's likely that we'll get one.

Want: 75%
He's cool.

Lucario Prediction: 42%

GameFAQs hates nice things....

Nominations:
Pokemon Trainer x3
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Takamaru Chance: 70% I can see the Japan-Only fighter adder Sakurai making this guy join the fight. And his appearance in NintendoLand gives us Americans something to expect from this character they learned about.
Takamaru Want: 80% I always wanted a Samurai-esque character joining the fight because we have had sooo many sword-users that I'm starting to get sick of the weapon. Bring katanas (which is a cooler version of the sword :3) and shurikens!
Lucario: 20% As much as I love Lucario, his floaty, non-contact feeling combat wasn't what I wanted from Lucario. He felt like a beefed up Mewtwo. Plus, he's irrelevant now, being a one-time Gen IV commercial to be replaced by the Gen I/VI commercial and loved Mewtwo! (Get over your denial Lucario fans (; )

Nomz: x5 Starfy

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Chances-70% The retro choice and he actually appeared in a recent game like Sakurai noted so his chances are good.

Want-50% I'm rather ambivalent towards him.

Prediction-40%

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Takamaru

Popularity: Not very. He's only appeared in a full game in Japan, and it wasn't a blockbuster there. Popularity doesn't matter as much for retro characters though. I will note, however, that the previous retro characters were all more notable than Takamaru. Game & Watch handhelds and collections sold dozens of millions of copies, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber and Gyromite/Stack Up sold significantly more copies. Ice Climber was an NES pack-in in Europe. Pit also appeared in the Captain N cartoon show, which adds to his fame as well.

People wanted Pit on the basis of his games. People who want Takamaru seem to want him because "there has to be a retro character" and he was referenced in Nintendo Land. Takamaru would be the most obscure retro character yet, were it not for Nintendo Land boosting his profile a bit. But most Nintendo fans outside of Japan (and probably a lot of the ones in Japan too) don't know who he is and in the US probably just take that to be "Japanese guy's Ninja Castle", so Nintendo Land's influence shouldn't be exaggerated. Nintendo fans in the US who only know him from Nintendo Land won't have any particular reason to want or like Takamaru, because he's nothing more than a Japanese name to them.

Relevancy: He made a guest appearance in Samurai Warriors 3, and there is a Nintendo Land mini-game that references his game. So he clearly is on Nintendo's radar.

Note: Takamaru does not actually appear in Nintendo Land. The mini-game is called Takamaru's Ninja Castle, but Takamaru himself does not appear in it, just as Captain Falcon does not appear in the F-Zero mini-game, Link and Zelda do not appear in the Zelda mini-game, Samus doesn't appear in the Metroid game, etc. Your Mii doesn't even dress like Takamaru, whereas it does dress like Link, Samus, Olimar and others for some of the other games. I'm guessing what happened is that they thought a ninja star mechanic would make for a good mini-game. Takamaru is the only Nintendo 1st party game that is based around fighting ninjas, so hence that's what it was. That's not to say that this is irrelevant, just don't make it out to be more than what it was.

Design: Well, I don't think him being a samurai will make his sword-based moves that different really. The differences in technique would matter if this were Soul Calibur or Bushido Blade. Mitsurugi does not play the same as Raphael or Yun-seong in Soul Calibur. But Smash Bros is not a game based around swords and other weapons and even worse it's 2-D, so I don't think it would matter that much. The subtleties of the directions of blade strikes don't matter that much. Hence, he is not really that different from "just another sword user".

However, unlike the FE reps, he does not only use a sword. And this is where greater design potential comes in. He has shurikens, fireballs and lightning explosives in his original game, as well as a magical cloak item. I will note that these seem to make him more like a ninja than a samurai. While shurikens and grenades are not exclusive to ninjas, they are certainly more associated with them than with samurais (whose primary weapons were melee weapons, bows and later on guns).

So he would end up being a sword-user with some projectile attacks, which is reasonably unique. However, there are some other characters that could fill that niche (Ganondorf and Isaac mainly). All in all, he has decent potential.

Competition: This would mainly come from other retro characters. Takamaru has been getting more appearances lately than much of his competition, but he doesn't have a lot of strong competition. At least he would be easy to design a move set for, unlike some outlandish choices like Duck Hunt Dog. There seems to be a bias towards Japan-only characters vs. West-only characters, so he has much better chances than Mike Jones. But there is still some competition. Even if none of them really stand out as much as Takamaru, giving them each a 2-5% chance or something like that would significantly eat into Takamaru's chances. And if Little Mac counts as a retro rep, then he's really in trouble.

Takamaru chances: 43%
Takamaru is the most likely retro rep, but that field is more open than some people think IMO. The only retro rep that I think anyone was sure of before was Pit. Sakurai won't necessarily go with the obvious choice.

Takamaru want: 42%
I'm mostly indifferent. He means even less to me than some of the other retro character possibilities (I don't understand why some people get so attached to characters that only appeared in Japanese games they've never played and the like), and there are some similar characters/sword-wielders I'd rather see (de-Falconized Ganondorf, Isaac and Shulk)

Lucario prediction: 70%
Seem to be a fair number of haters out there. But I think that the fact that Sakurai said they haven't cut anybody yet should get it out of people's heads that they're currently planning to cut Lucario. He might end up being lower priority than Pikachu and Mewtwo, or even the lowest priority Pokemon character, but at least wait until the game gets delayed or is rumored to be behind schedule before you freak out and think everyone "low priority" is getting cut.

Nominations:
5x Simon Belmont

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Also, please predict how people will rate Lucario in tomorrow's game. He narrowly topped the nominations list; I expect it will be quite a close contest tomorrow. Predicting can earn you extra nominations.

Takamaru Prediction: 85%
He's got a great shot with being revived for a game lately

Want: 90%
Wynaut? Samurais haven't been in Smash yet, so I think that'll be interesting to play.

Lucario: 100%
If he leaves, I'm gonna go nuts. Lucario is my main is the non-Gen 1 character of the Pokemon roster. Plus, he is popular in the anime and games. I guess you could say he's becoming the second mascot. It makes NO sense to remove a popular character unless Sakurai couldn't finish him due to timing.

Nominations:
Vaati x5

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Takamaru

Likelihood - 80%
Sakurai saying he's the luckiest man alive for being able to revive old characters through Smash, developers like Kamiya discussing a revival of Nazo no Murasame Jo, and him being in titles like Samurai Warriors 3 and Captain Rainbow after Sakurai discussed possibly adding him if he were to appear again all fall in his favor. He's not ranked even higher just due to the vast pool of retro newcomers he's in competition with, though to be fair, aside from maybe Mach Rider and a select few others, they're really not that big a deal.

Want - 35%
If my vision of him as a Marth expy with projectiles is accurate, I'd enjoy his moveset a bit, but not so much the character behind it.

Lucario Prediction - 69.5%
This ranking hinges almost entirely on how many relevance voters participate.

Nominate
Ganondorf x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Takamaru Prediction: 85%
He's got a great shot with being revived for a game lately

Want: 90%
Wynaut? Samurais haven't been in Smash yet, so I think that'll be interesting to play.

Lucario: 100%
If he leaves, I'm gonna go nuts. Lucario is my main is the non-Gen 1 character of the Pokemon roster. Plus, he is popular in the anime and games. I guess you could say he's becoming the second mascot. It makes NO sense to remove a popular character unless Sakurai couldn't finish him due to timing.

Nominations:
Vaati x5
You know that score you gave Lucario is supposed to be a prediction of what he'll get, right? No way is he going to get 100% tomorrow, if GameFaqs and some posters here are anything to go by.

Groose

Smash Champion
EDIT: So anyway, I see that the OP lacks music for Takamaru and Owain. For Owain, I'd suggest this, as this is the theme that plays on his recruitment map. For Takamaru, this is the main theme of his game.

Takamaru was easy to find music for; I was struggling to find anything for Owain. I've gone with your suggestion, and I thank you for it. I also went ahead and updated Lucario's music... and it fits perfectly. Heck, even the titles of the songs fit perfectly for discussion like this. And it brings back memories of the last Pokemon movie that was halfway decent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Takamaru was easy to find music for; I was struggling to find anything for Owain. I've gone with your suggestion, and I thank you for it. I also went ahead and updated Lucario's music... and it fits perfectly. Heck, even the titles of the songs fit perfectly for discussion like this. And it brings back memories of the last Pokemon movie that was halfway decent.
One thing I should mention, though, is that the song I posted for Owain is called "Prelude - Ablaze." It's the ablaze version of the song "Prelude." Just thought I'd mention that. :p

Groose

Smash Champion
One thing I should mention, though, is that the song I posted for Owain is called "Prelude - Ablaze." It's the ablaze version of the song "Prelude." Just thought I'd mention that. :p

Fixed. It's a pretty decent song. Though I've fallen back in love with Lucario's Theme.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Takamaru - 75%
Want - 85%
+ A retro rep has been confirmed
+ Has had a resurgence recently due to Samurai Warriors, Nintendo Land, and possible localization of original game hints
+ Last member of the Famicom 4
+ Has been recognized by Sakurai in the past
- Is somewhat obscure and is Japanese only to an extent
- Only mildly popular

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It has?

Source?
Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.
I remember hearing he also said something similar in an old Nintendo Power issue, but I deleted the link to it after I found this more concrete one.

Since I said that out of memory without re-looking at the link, I apologize for saying "confirmed," however, I would more or less take it as a huge sign pointing towards one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom