• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I find it sickingly humorous that he was deconfirmed on today of all days. Just think of all of the smashers who wake up this morning only to find Starfy's grave under their tree...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Why are all of today's characters yellow? Is it a christmas reference? I partially think that Sakurai hates Starfy and chose to reveal him on christmas as a sacrifice.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's sad to see Starfy deconfirmed, but it has it's own advantages. Having all the proper sound effects and getting dizzy animation where all lovely things, and we couldn't have underwater stages if Starfy where playable because while everyone else is slowed down and floatified he'd be quicker and free to move around in all directions.

Now if underwater stages don't happen it'll be very disappointing, but at least he's cute.

D

Deleted member

Ouch. A Brawl Assist Trophy, Starfy, was disconfirmed today. Starfy was one of Japan's more wanted characters, though I guess Luma somehow ruined his chances (I certainly didn't think that).
We guessed that Starfy had a 30.92% chance… and it seems as though some of you will be disappointed knowing he's an Assist Trophy again with a 40.03% want.
Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like breaking the dreams of several players that wanted to see him.

D

Deleted member

No he wasn't. He has a fair amount of requests but is nowhere near one of their most wanted characters
I know. I worded my sentence badly. But, I was still surprised that he had a decent amount of requests anyway.
He's not at the levels of King K. Rool or Mega Man over there, but it's still pretty decent.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Personally, I'm glad he's still an AT. I didn't want to see him getting in over most other characters.

No offense to the Starfy supporters.

D

Deleted member

I don't have much to say on the matter of Zelda's reveal… except for why the heck is this Phantom here?

EDIT: Looks like we can get rid of the Skyward Sword Zelda concept.

Groose

Smash Champion
Update will be in a few hours. I'm going to deconfirm Starfy, change the concept from "Skyward Sword Zelda" to "Skyward Sword Zelda Alternate Costume", and maybe start renominating Sheik and Impa... because I don't see either of them with Zelda. That doesn't make me too suspicious... but that Phantom does.

Also going to kick off the "Year End Special" with today's update.

So we have another confirmation. Not that anyone doubted her, but still.
Yup. We ruled that she was a lock, anyway. This could hurt Sheik/Impa a bit because neither are seen instantly, and hurts Toon Zeda because REGULAR Zelda is controlling a Phantom. That's my two cents, at least.

D

Deleted member

Yup. We ruled that she was a lock, anyway. This could hurt Sheik/Impa a bit because neither are seen instantly
Well, to be fair, Sheik was announced on Brawl's DOJO months after Zelda was; same thing can happen here. Though, I am hoping to hear Sakurai say something in regards to the Phantom soon as it could determine who the 5th Zelda character will be and Sheik's fate.

Groose

Smash Champion
Welp, I just remembered: when Roy gets rated, the number of posts in a day nearly doubles. Processing... processing... processing...

Well, to be fair, Sheik was announced on Brawl's DOJO months after Zelda was; same thing can happen here. Though, I am hoping to hear Sakurai say something in regards to the Phantom soon as it could determine who the 5th Zelda character will be and Sheik's fate.
Yup. I was actually going to come here and say that to calm everything down... then I saw the Phantom. THAT is the main threat to Sheik (and Impa) right now, in my opinion. We just don't know about it yet.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Zelda reveal with no Sheik? A Phantom in her moveset? No Skyward Sword Zelda? Sakurai commenting on how he likes having more females in Smash? Forget Cranky Kong; rating Sheik, Impa, Toon Zelda, and Tetra (among other characters) just got far more interesting than expected.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Zelda reveal with no Sheik? A Phantom in her moveset? No Skyward Sword Zelda? Sakurai commenting on how he likes having more females in Smash? Forget Cranky Kong; rating Sheik, Impa, Toon Zelda, and Tetra (among other characters) just got far more interesting than expected.
1. We don't know what Phantom is yet. Even gamefaqs realizes this.

2. Zelda revealed without Sheik happened during the Brawl days. So don't act so surprised.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I agree, we have yet to have a confirmation about what the Phantom is, so it's too early to re-rate anyone related to this reveal until we get some confirmation, or at least see a confirmed Zelda attack (seriously, other than that Phantom there's nothing in all her screens so far).

Moreover, if it's confirmed that the Phantom is a special move for Zelda there's still the chance for Taunt transformation so let's just wait things out before we make any rash re-rates we have to amend later.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I wouldn't get too trigger happy with the Sheik and Impa votes, as the only thing we know about this Phantom is that it exists.

When it comes to Sakurai and new moves, he likes to make everything plainly stated. We'll probably get an idea at what the Phantom does in the coming days.

Groose

Smash Champion
Beast Ganon: 22.5%
Hear me out on this one, my fellow chance raters. I personally find that Ganon has a realistic shot at becoming playable. Fans have been demanding Ganondorf be reworked; I think that there's a solid chance he will be. I could see him switch between Ganondorf and Ganon in the same way Zero Suit Samus changes. Ganondorf almost always has a beast form in the Zelda series, and most would recognize and support the gimmick. Today's Zelda reveal now means that 3 of the first 20 characters are from the Zelda franchise... perhaps a newcomer is at hand?

There are things working against him. I'd say Toon Zelda is in the same ballpark in likelihood and Tingle, Ghirahim, and crew present a minor hurdle. However, I could really see him as a "pleasant-surprise" type newcomer like Zero Suit Samus was. There is precedent.

Beast Ganon Want: 100%
I love Ganondorf. Sadly, he's the only character I look at in the Smash series and go, "Woah. What happened here?" He had so much potential that to be doomed as a clone in Brawl was tragic. I support pretty much any way of decloning him, and adding a transformation gimmick or flat out replacing him with his beast form would be absolutely welcome in my eyes. Oh... and could you imagine the newcomer trailer? CGI of Link and Zelda fighting Ganondorf on Skyloft, then... wham! Ganon time!

MY BOY ROY: 20%
You're probably asking yourself: Groose, did you just rate him below Beast Ganon? Yes. I did. Why? I find Roy is grossly overestimated. People cite his enormous popularity... what enormous popularity? On Smashboards? Yeah, he's popular. GameFAQs? GAF? Gaming newsites? Youtube? My circle in real life? Nope, not so much; people are on the "Chromcina" or "What's Fire Emblem?" bandwagons. Fire Emblem is a series that really didn't break out until Awakening, and much of Smash's fanbase didn't come in until Brawl. A large percentage of the American fanbase has little idea of who he is, much less want for him.

But America doesn't matter, now, does it? Japan matters. Now, I don't pretend to be an expert on the Japanese fanbase. I'm an amateur at best, and I admit this. Even so, in my time looking at the Japanese fanbase... yeah, I haven't seen much Roy. For every comment I've seen about Roy, I've seen two about Chrom or Lucina and another for Ike. Now, I could be missing something, and probably am. Also, I didn't check very often last year, when it really mattered, and I do admit there was definitely some major backlash right after Brawl launched over there. But... I can't help but feel that ranking him alongside the likes of Mewtwo in Japanese popularity is just jumping the gun a bit.

There's also this: Sakurai is going for characters who will either promote games, draw in crowds, or be unique. Chromcina would do a much better job promoting games than Roy. Roy could potentially draw in crowds, but I don't think he would do so nearly as much as people think. Uniqueness is pretty much out the window... he has a fire sword, yes, but many people want him because of Melee, and I don't see him getting much more than Luigi-fying treatment. So... I'm just not seeing it. I still gave him a 20% on account of his being planned for Brawl and his popularity, but... meh.

Roy Want: 0%
No attachment to the character. I always preferred Marth in Melee... and I didn't like the playstyle of either of them. Seeing him get in would be a bit of a wasted slot for me.

Toad x5

Blaziken: 5.35%
Because May and Megas.
DAY OVER

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Groose

Smash Champion
Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
5.76% chance
38.29% want

NO! NOT INTO THE PIT! IT BUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRNSSS! Poor Ganon was shafted in the favor of his human form; at this point, he's behind a plethora of other Zelda characters.

Roy (Legend of Zelda)
38.44% chance (previously 40.42%) (before that 38.75%)
42.82% want (previously 48.87%) (before that 45.37%)

With our third rating of Roy complete, a pattern has emerged: high 30's-low 40's in chance, mid 40's in want. His competition in Chrom and perhaps Ike makes dooms him to the middle regions. Sorry, our boy Roy.

BLAZIKEN! Blaziken is an incredibly popular Pokemon... but does that popularity give it a chance for Smash? It does have a Mega Evolution and is a lock for a hypothetical Hoenn trainer---keep in mind that appearing as part of a Pokemon Trainer still counts as appearing. Please rate Blaziken in chance and want. And, oh, why not? Hoenn confirmed?

Concept time! Please rate the chance and want of having the Pokemon from Brawl, with the addition of Mewtwo. No more, no less. This is a fairly straightforward one.

NEW YEAR SPECIAL! I was going to do a Christmas special... but all I could come up with was rating Delibird and that would have been stupid. So, instead, we're doing a New Year Special, where we reflect back on things that we've done in this game so far. For the first day, please say which character in the results section you feel is the most overrated. Please no Starfy/Skull Kid/Toad. When the day is over, I'll tally them and record the three most "overrated" characters for all to see.

Tomorrow... we're rating Eevee. Ooh, do I have a video to share with you for that day. Anyway, please predict how Eevee will do; SmasherMaster wins the nominations.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Blaziken chance: 3.8% Pretty unlikely to be chosen for a Pokemon newcomer, I think they would go with Zoroark instead.
Blaziken want: 38%
Brawl+Mewtwo chance: 30% I think this is pretty unlikely, but it's the best no cut scenario. After Sakurai said his Pokemon criteria, I think were bound to get a Pokemon newcomer.
Brawl+Mewtwo want: 50% Meh, I would have Zoroark in addition.
The character I feel is most overrated is probably Isaac IMO.
Eevee prediction: 5.6%
Nominations: Cranky Kong x5

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Blaziken: 4% / Want: 65%
Doesn't fit in with how Sakurai decides how to determine Pokemon. High want is due to Torchic being my first starter ever.

Brawl Pokes + Mewtwo: 50% Chance / 50% Want
Seems too safe.

Most overrated character: Little Mac

5x nomz Toadsworth

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Blaziken chance 15% If we somehow got a remake of R/S and sakurai's like the heck with it, go on PKMN trainer.
Blaziken want: 40%
Brawl+Mewtwo chance: 85% Highly likely unless a cut happens or something random
Brawl+Mewtwo want: 100% even though i'm indifferent on mewtwo *flame shield* A lot of people want this so yeah, plus lucario is awesome and jiggs needs to stay since she's so 64.
Overrated character: I'd say Chrom.
Eevee prediction: 5%
Noms: Cranky Kong x5 (Your welcome blue)

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
NOTE: MY OPINIONS HAVE CHANGED THROUGH THE DAY, THE FOLLOWING IS OUTDATED!

Please refer to this post for ratings and nominations

So we're rating all the most likely pokémon in one day.

Brawl and Mewtwo:
Original Trio, who appeared as choices in the newest games. The Mascot. A running staple of Smash who's now the resident fairy type. The original Mega pokémon. And the star of the latest movie.

Chance: 83%
Yep, I'm going there.

I personally think they're all pretty much locks at this stage, with the exception of Jigglypuff, who's still 85% on the likelihood scale... Add a slight doubt about a 6th slot thanks to my opinion Mario has 6 (Jr is Jigglypuff likely in my eyes), and you drop a little bit... but honestly there're only 5 more pokémon I think are important and popular enough to get in... and none of them are likely for their various reasons.

Want: 99%
I'd love to see more, but this is the right number for right now really, anything else can go in Pokéballs easy.

Speaking of other pokémon with the credentials to get in:

Blaziken:
Gemefreak's favourite starter, at least going by him getting a mega and being the only non-original trio to get one.

Chance: 1%
The highest chance I'd give any Pokémon that's not in the chances above, and that's almost all down to Hoenn Trainer... I really doubt we'll get two pokémon trainers... though it would make a great event match.
The other 4 with credentials are: Grovyle (further helping Hoenn Trainer, but just as held back), Eevee (who doesn't provide an interesting moveset, it's really his evos that are interesting, and putting that much effort into a character needs it to be a new fighting style (switch character are not new) or super popular (Rosalina had both of these, and I'm not sure Eevee has even the latter half as much)) Meowth (we've rated him already, and I was less than favorable, he's missed his train really) and Arceus (if I have to explain why he wouldn't fit I'll slap you).

Want: 27%
I vaguely like the guy (though he's no means my favorite, even ammoung starters), but Pokémon really has enough representation with Brawl + Mewtwo.

Hoenn Remakes:
Yeah, bonus time!

Chance: 80%
About as hinted as Majora's Mask 3D... I don't trust trollfreak, but I still expect it to happen if I'm honest.

Want: 100%
I can't play the games pre-physical/special split anymore (they suck so much) and that means I can't visit Hoenn... I already have a limited visit of Kanto in HGSS, but the lack of any Hoenn saddens me greatly, and I'd love to visit the region again, this time with decent mechanics.

Eevee: 2.5%
I bashed him, but people like to make a fuss of him, unfortunately for him he doesn't have the defending features Blaze Kick has.

Most Overated: Zoroark
He doesn't even factor to me, how the hell he's got 20% I don't know.

Slime*5

D

Deleted member

Blaziken
Chance: 7%
If there was a Gen III rep, it would be Blaziken in my eyes. Blaziken screams Smash Bros. to me and I find that Blaziken will be one of the most easy Pokemon to give a moveset to. Out of the possible Gen III possibilities, Blaziken seems the most likely as not only is it the most popular Gen III Pokemon, but it also got a Mega Evolution while some Pokemon didn't. The competition, however, is too much for Blaziken. We are talking about veteran Jigglypuff, the highly popular Lucario, a wanted Zoroark, and the heavily demanded Mewtwo. I just can't see Blaziken go solo and I consider the only way for it to be playable is if there is a Gen III trainer.
Want: 30%
Would be cool, but I'm not invested. I have a support thread for Breloom, so that should say something.

Brawl Pokemon Plus Mewtwo
Chance: 75%
I was going to rate lower, but I think it's more likely now thanks to Rosalina. Mario has 5 characters and Pokemon is just as popular as Mario, albeit having lower overall sales than Mario. With this in mind, I find Pokemon getting 5 reps is not out of question. Jigglypuff seems to be a staple, Red is the first trainer and thus have some priority over other trainers, Lucario is still popular, and Mewtwo is by far the most wanted character worldwide. I am just leaving some doubt in my mind if Red, Jigglypuff, or Lucario are low priority, can't be implemented, or some Pokemon will get in over them.
I don't want Mewtwo, I freaking need Mewtwo. Almost any option to bring back Mewtwo is OK by me.

Who do I feel is overrated? Oh boy… it's…
Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAKE!
Over 60% chance is too much in my opinion. We don't have evidence to support that he will return. I don't think that veteran status saves him as he seems to be the most likely character on the chopping block. There are way better options than Snake, like Simon Belmont or BOMBERMAN. Sonic and Mega Man deserve to get in this game for not only their demand and popularity, but also for their importance to Nintendo. They play a role in Nintendo's history with one being a major rival and the other helped boost sales for the NES. Snake? He got in by personal request. He may be one of the most popular characters in Brawl and may have done successfully on those polls, but I believe there is more going against him than for him. This is because of his lack of appearances on Nintendo's consoles, MGSV not coming to the Wii U, Konami's official statements saying that they don't want to support the Wii U (or something along those lines), and, again, the fact that he got in by personal request. Again, I'm glad that he got in Brawl to help open the way for Sonic and Mega Man, but I just don't think that he deserves to return.

On a much more personal note, I would be heavily disappointed if Snake got in. I don't hate him, but it would actually crush my soul if he got in and I would most likely cry. I really, really want Bomberman to make an appearance in a Smash game and Snake getting cut will help open the door for him. I am really desperate for his appearance. I know that Bomberman won't make it in this one, but Snake getting cut will leave me hope for the next one.

Was I supposed to choose a newcomer? Even if I was supposed to, I am still saying Snake.

EDIT: Oh! I almost forgot! Blaziken, Brawl Pokemon and Brawl, and Most Overrated have been added to this post!

Eevee Prediction: 2.02%
Popular Pokemon, but I can't see it in Smash.

Nominations: Decloned Ganondorf 5x

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Blaziken:

Likelihood: 10%. If they're going to make Pokemon equal to Mario, it's fairly obvious that the 5 will be Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Red and Mewtwo. I don't think that Sakurai's considered adding other Pokemon quite yet. And Blaziken also has relevance going against him, although he's a perfect fighter, I just don't see him in the future, except for Pokken.
Want: 50%. It's an interesting character, a Captain Falcon that's actually a bird. But, all jokes aside, I'd much rather have Mewtwo return.

Brawl + Mewtwo
Likelihood: 80%. There's a bit of doubt, but I'm fairly certain that we'll see that specifically.
Want: 99%. No questions asked.

Overrated Newcomer: Tie between Lucina and Zoroark.

Eevee Prediction: 5%. There's probably some fanbase.

Nominations:

Quote x5

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Today is Pokemon Day!

Way too much Speed Boosting.

I'm doing something different again.

Solo Pokemon: The chances of this are absolutely pathetic. The OTHER option is far more likely. .4%.

Trainer: This is actually a lot more likely. If we get a Hoenn trainer, there's a 90% chance it's going to be Mudkip Grovyle and Blaziken. It's a weird but easily possible concept, though I have an odd feeling we are getting one trainer only. 8%.

Overall... Blaziken has a unique and interesting shot here, it's somewhat likely, but not very much. 4.5%.

Want: Forum Weapon Deployed.

As a competitive Pokemon player, you grow to hate Blaziken. With a supreme, burning Passion. Seriously. I wasn't able to get into VGC for a while until this year made it Kalos Locked only. I quit Ubers after this beast arrived. I don't want Speed Boosting in my Game, I don't want this monster of a bird wrecking my day. 00.00%. Plus, I love Sceptile.

Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo- We've got the Electric Kingpin. The Bouncing Fairy Death Ball. The generic lad who evolves better than Ash. The Pokemon which holds the true title of "User of Aura Sphere." And the first "True" Legendary Pokemon, the original Mega Pokemon. So how likely is this in reality?

In Reality: This is a very likely case. If we get Mewtwo back, that's 5 represenatives already. And it's VERY likely we are getting him back at this point, with Sakurai expressing some big interest in it. 73%.

Want: If this happens...
100%

Who is Overrated?
Chrom, I'd say. Fire Emblem Madness leads to salty biased ratings.

Eevee Eevee, Too Many Evos
Wait... WHAT? Groose? Seriously? ...welp, better than Fire Emblem Week! 5.1%, only because I'm balancing out some predictions.

Who Gets My Nominations Today?
Blue, with Cranky Kong X5. Once Cranky Gets Rated, I'd love some assistance with Extensive Alternate Costumes, Blue.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Blaziken's chances: 1% - I feel he would only be in as part of a Hoenn Trainer, and I'd only give that about 1%, so...
Want: 20% - I'm not a big fan of most Pokemon from the third Generation.

Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo: 80%
Want: 95% - While I want Meowth I would be completely fine with this.

Most overrated: Krystal

Eevee prediction: 2.17%

Prince Sable x5

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Blaziken: 7%
He's still relevant, but there's still Mewtwo
Want: 60%
Better than any Pokemon Newcomer (excluding Mewtwo)
Brawl + Mewtwo: 72%
While Mewtwo is probably a lock, there is some doubt with Jiggs, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer and even the possibility of additional newcomers taking spots.
Most Overrated: Shulk. He's just not that important with only 1 game under his belt.
Eevee: 1.9%

Noms: 5x Quote

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Blaziken
Chance 20%
There are two ways I think that Blaziken could be in Smash.
  • Hoenn Trainer. I think that this is the most likeliest scenario, but two Trainers might take up a lot of time in developing and the Hoenn trainer would be stealing the dimick.
  • A clone/semi-clone. Most likely of Captain Falcon.
  • A unique fighter. Least likeliest of the three.
I would love to see Blaziken as the next Pokemon newcomer for Smash Bros. Hoenn had my favorite starters yet.

Brawl Pokemon With Mewtwo
Chance 80%
I don't think that any other Pokemon character compares to the five. I think that there is a chance that Sakurai might decide to have another Pokemon character.

Want 60%
I also want another character along with them.
Eevee Predictions 5%
Overrated: Chrom (The second half of the story focuses more on Lucina and Robin)

Nominations
Cranky Kong
Mona
Wreck It Ralph
Robin
N
Tetra
Monita
Prince Sable
Decloned Ganondorf
Invader Zim

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Blaziken.
Chances:5%
Want:40%

-Brawl Pokemon+Mewtwo.
Chances:60%
Want:40% I prefer Charizard only instead of Pokemon Trainer.

-Most overrated:Shulk and Ridley.

-Eevee:0%

-Nomination:Spear User X5

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Blaziken chance: 15% Not likely, but seems to be a semi popular pokemon.
Blaziken want: 50%.
Brawl+Mewtwo chance: 20%. I think mewtwo will be added back, and Lucario, but sadly I think my Brawl Main the Pokemon Trainer will be no more.
Brawl+Mewtwo want:75% - add Meowth.
The character I feel is most overrated is Snake.
Eevee prediction: 3.2%
Nominations:
Sora x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Blaziken:
Chance: 15%
If there's going to be a newcomer from Gen 3, it'd be Blaziken. Honestly I see Blaziken as a far more likely Pokemon than any of the popular gen 5 Pokemon; Victini, Genesect or Zoroark because
a.) he has a Mega form. Usually a sign that said Pokemon is either very popular(see Charizard, Mewtwo, Gengar, Alakazam, Scizor Gyrados, Blastoise etc) or needs boosting(Banette, Absol, Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Mawile, etc). Blaziken was already a beast so it's fair to say he was given his due to his insane popularity that GAMEFREAK themselves recognise.
b.) he has withstood the passage of time and is probably one of the few non Gen 1 Pokemon to remain as popular now as when it first arrived, even amongst starters he's rather popular,
c.) Blaziken was Gamefreaks first Event Pokemon for X and Y
and d.) Pokkun Fighters. May seem a small thing but if Gamefreak are including him in a game with likely a small Roster of Pokemon, they must know how popular he is.

Going against him is...well actually very little if we're honest. Gen 3 isn't the current gen? Doesn't affect Mewtwo or Lucario's chances. How about he's no longer relevant? Like Mewtwo, Lucario and Charizard he got a boost in a Mega form which makes him more relevant than any Pokemon without or from sixth gen. Certainly makes him more new and exciting than any of the Gen 5 Smash suggestions.
Also hasn't had a previous Smash appearance as a Pokeball Pokemon which although may seem like a slight is probably a thing in his favour since it means he's unlikely to be doomed to that role forever like poor Old Meowth was.

In fact the one thing which IS going against him is the second thing we're rating today; a lot of Smash fans merely want the Brawl Roster + Mewtwo, so Sakurai may just do that and call it a day.

Want: 40%
It's weird. When Gen 3 came out I HATED Blaziken. He quickly became my least favourite Pokemon; I thought he looked too much like Digimon's Fladramon(which came out first) and decided it was a lazy ass design that I wanted no part of. As time has gone on I've realised that Blaziken's design is actually able to be one of the few that will stand up to the test of time.

Frankly I'd rather have a Pokemon NEWCOMER than a rehash of past Smash Pokemon. Blaziken's probably my second choice after Meowth for a deserving newcomer. Not bad for a Pokemon I once despised.

---------------------------

Brawl + Mewtwo
Chance: 90%
Sakurai got a ton of backlash for Mewtwo's removal from Brawl. In fact that was the BIGGEST complaint about the roster and according to Chrono's findings many Smash fans in Japan would be happy with NO newcomers at all, preferring to have Project M's current roster of Brawl + Mewtwo and Roy.
Sakurai has stated that they are "THINKING ABOUT IT" when asked about adding Mewtwo back.
Mewtwo is the biggest, most hyped character currently not in Smash and frankly Sakurai would be silly to not readd said character.

That said the main reason I haven't placed it higher than this is because of Pokemon Trainer and potential difficulty in getting him to work on 3DS. I'm fairly confident they can pull this off though, and this is one of the highest chance ratings I've EVER given anything.

Want: 10%
Everyone wants this set up. Everyone but me.
No, I'm sorry it's boring. Like really boring. 700+ Pokemon and we're stuck having Pokemon of questionable merits for all eternity because they were in past Smash games.

I'm fine with Pikachu, Mewtwo and Trainer(and I GUESS the Kanto starters, although I frankly couldn't care if they were shaken up) but I'd cut Puff in a heartbeat for the far more deserving star of the anime; Meowth.

I'd probably also cut Lucario for Blaziken, although they're probably about equal in terms of importance and fame. Starters are some of the most well known Pokemon, but Lucario has become quite famous in his own right at this point.

Luckily for Lucario what makes Blaziken more relevant also makes him more relevant so that last one is unlikely to happen for that and Puff is unlikely to be cut for Meowth due to her three times Smash veteran status. I just personally don't think she deserves her place 100% secured for merely being easier to make due to recycling assets from Kirby.

-----------------

Most Overrated:
*cracks knuckles* In terms of want to chance ratio and my own personal choices; Chrom, or Zoroark.

Chrom for being what I expect but not what I want; an uninspired mash up of Marth/Roy and Ike. Yes he COULD use lances, but I equally doubt he will. Roy COULD of used lots of the Sword of Seals special properties but didn't after all(although arguably it may have been due to only being added as a last minute semi-clone). Ike is more popular with the Smash community for a stronger FE swordsman.
I just feel of all the Awakening options Chrom is the most dull right after his Marth lookalike daughter. Robin or nothing for Awakening rep please. At least then we can wield magic as well as swing swords.

Zoroark's entire concept is flawed. People want him because he can look like other characters. But that's it. He doesn't attack like others. He just looks like them. The hell is the point? You don't gain others abilities ala Kirby as Zoroark isn't Ditto. S/he merely LOOKS like the opponent which in a 1 v 1 is utterly worthless and at best will cause one of the two players to SD due to looking at the wrong character.
Utterly useless ability really. Zoroark's also already old news and Gamefreak dropped it as their new mascot almost as quickly as they picked it up. I'd rather have one of the more iconic, going to be famous for more than ten minutes Pokemon to play as, even if people think Meowth will be dull and Blaziken will be a Falcon clone.

In terms of pure chance, and people are gonna hate me for this; Ridley.
It's becoming apparent those with past Smash roles are retaining said roles this time round; Toad as a meat shield again, Nintendog and Starfy as ATs...although Ridley is popular here I doubt it's going to be enough to shake off how Sakurai thought of him in the past.

I just don't see it happening right now. With any luck I'm wrong, but we definitely rated him WAAAAY too high in chance.

If all ATs are remaining in that role, we've also overestimated Little Mac by a huge amount. We'll see about this.

------------------

Eevee: 8%
Whilst beloved by many, most believe in Brawl + Mewtwo so it's unlikely to get very far.

------------------

Nominations:
Toad X 5
Let's put my boy to rest finally then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom