• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: Pokkén Edition - On a hiatus, will restart soon!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Kecleon
Chance - 20%
Want - 80%
Kecleon is a powerhouse in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, in fact, maybe one of the strongest in the game if you aren't prepared enough. What better way to show that off than Pokken. I'd imagine his color change would kick in when hit by the opponent, throwing them off and forcing them to find other ways of hitting Kecleon. It would be fairly interesting to see, but for chance? Well, he was a road block in the generation 3 games, but other than that, he's not really noteworthy.

Zoroark
Chance - 50%
Want - 10%
Nothing against Zoroark, really. She was a main part of my Black&White team, it's just that... Illusion would be a difficult ability to pull off in the game, and that's the main aspect of Zoroark. Maybe it could use Illusion to mimic a Pokemon fighter that wasn't chosen for the battle? I don't know, it still seems like a bit of work to pull off. It's that difficulty that leads me to saying I'm fine without 'em.

Bisharp
Chance - 30%
Want - 45%
Eh, Bisharp just seems like a "safe" choice. He can do some interesting stuff, no doubt about that, but, aside from representing the Steel type, it just doesn't "wow" me for some reason. I suppose I'll actually have to see it in action before I make a final decision.

Nidoking
Chance - 40%
Want - 50%
I'm neutral towards Nidoking. He'd be an interesting fighter, but it's almost a crime to add him without Nidoqueen, and I don't think we'd get both. Aside from that, he could use the "Earthquake" powerhouse set that we've talked about before, although to my knowledge he's usually used as a special attacker.

Feraligatr
Chance - 20$
Want - 60%
Feraligatr is probably the best bet at seeing a Gen. 2 starter in the roster. I can't really say anything that would be unique about him though. Anything about him just seems generic, and Ice Punch and Ice Fang could already just go to Weavile. I'll give him a bonus though for at least liking him as a Pokemon.

Krookodile
Chance - 20%
Want - 50%
Largely indifferent to Krookodile (oddly enough, another Pokemon used in my Black and White team), and he seems to be a combination of Feraligatr in terms of fangs and Nidoking in terms of a ground move set. I think they could find a way to make him work, but he's another one I'd have to see in action fist before making any drastic decisions.

Nominations
Plusle & Minun tag Team X2
Slowbro X1
Wobbuffet X1
Marowak X1

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields

Kecleon

Chance: 10%
I'm not sure if he's a popular Hoenn candidate, but I don't see him likely.
Want: 0%
Not interested to be honest.

Zoroark
Chance: 85%
While Zoroark was meant to be the new Lucario but didn't manage to reach the same success, it still remains as one of the most iconic 5th gen Pokémon and I don't see much of a competition here since fans probably prefer the other gen starters before Unova's.
Want: 100%
I'm really interested in how they could implement its trademark Illusion.

Bisharp
Chance: 25%
For some reason Bisharp reminds me of Gallade and the other Unova dark types, both which seem likelier to be included.
Want: 10%
If the roster is going to be very limited (which it seems it'll be... I hope I'm wrong) I'd rather see Gallade.

Nidoking
Chance: 30%
It would just seem weird to add him and not Nidoqueen, so they might probably add Kangaskhan who shares a similar body build (and imagine the baby assisting in attacks... I'll nominate her)
Want: 50%
Neutral about him; I'm more of a Nidoqueen fan since I overleveled her in my first Pokémon playthrough while everyone remained level 30...good times.

Feraligatr
Chance: 60%
Fitting, popular water starter from Johto where Meganium is the shafted starter and Typhlosion might not make it to avoid too many fire starters. Suicune might be a water type, but I don't feel like it affects Feraligatr's since Suicune mainly attacks with ice moves.
I want them to include at least a starter from each region, and Feraligatr just seems like the best choice for Johto.

Krookodile
Chance: 35%
Popular Unova candidate but the limited roster might leave him out.
I sincerely hope there's a tag team mode... Feraligatr & Krookodile tag team all day.

Nominations
Kangaskhan x2
Heracross
Lopunny
Ursaring

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman

Want: 80%

This little guy can get the ability to get less damage if get hit with the same attack multiple times... and became invisible...

Chance: 75%
Want: 75%

He could transform into other pokken fighters to attack... and have really quick attacks or double team to cause illusions

Want: 55%

He coul have moves that resemble chess with heavy jumps likethe dragoon in FF...

Chance: 55%

One of the most versatile pokemons, strong attacks and specials, the best option for Poison... HORN DRILL 1hit KO (as his super)

Want: 45%

The first Muncher, a jaw heavy moveset is good for a grappler character... very punishing wen it got you, but slow as hell... but suicune has Water covered.

Chance: 40%
Want: 60%

The Sand Muncher, he is really badass, and could be a grappler too, and with dig it can set up traps.

Noms
Porygon Z x2
Luxray
Sandslash
Golduck

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Kecleon

Being somewhat of a recognizable Pokemon thanks to its role in the Mystery Dungeon games and being a famous roadblocker in the generation III games, Kecleon's Color Change ability would be a very interesting concept for this game, and it has the movepool to match most of the Pokemon types (like Ancient Power, Psybeam, Shadow Claw, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Brick Break, and Solar Beam to name a few . I can also see it being another trickster based Pokemon, where it could temporarily camouflage itself with its surroundings to shield itself and use attacks like Shadow Sneak or Feint Attack to surprise opponents afterward. Add a few licking and scratch-based attacks here and there and Kecleon could definitely stand out. The main issues I see it facing is that the role of a "mischievous trickster" is already fulfilled through Gengar, who pulls off similar tricks and sneak attacks but doesn't have Color Change as an ability, and there are plenty of normal type Pokemon out there who could also be as/more unique in what they use as Kecleon does.

Want: 35%

Kecleon really isn't the normal-type Pokemon I want to see get into the game, though the use of its Color Change ability would be a neat feature. It could also work well as an Assist Pokemon thanks to its size and use of sneak attacks (maybe Kecleon could appear behind the opposing Pokemon when you summon it as an Assist instead of having it jump from behind your lead Pokemon? I think that would be fun to watch).

Zoroark

Chance: 70%

Zoroark was the first generation V Pokemon introduced (even before its pre-evolution because we saw Zoroark's silhouette before Zorua was revealed). Thanks to that, along with her leading role in the 13th Pokemon movie and being featured in a special event in Pokemon Black/White, Zoroark is arguably the most iconic and popular Pokemon from generation V. She also has the unique ability Illusion, allowing her to take the form of another Pokemon and can even copy many of its attacks (as Zoroark demonstrates in Movie 13). This would be a very interesting concept for a Pokken Fighter where she could turn into the opposing fighter and use the same attacks as that Pokemon for a certain period of time. Zoroark's only problem would be the complications of making such an ability work in the game considering Illusion could be difficult to program.

Zoroark's Illusion ability really interests me. I know some fans would want Ditto to be that "transforming/imitation fighter", but I think Zoroark would be more interesting because it could switch back and forth between it's normal self and its illusion. One way I could see Zoroark working as a fun fighter would be that she would initially appear as the opposing Pokemon at the beginning of the battle, even going as far as to imitating that Pokemon's introduction animation. After about a good chunk of seconds into the match, Zoroark could suddenly transform into its normal self for the ultimate surprise. Now that would definitely catch opponents off guard, not to mention this concept would be very close to how Illusion works in the main Pokemon games. Sadly, Zoroark isn't my most wanted Dark-types: that title goes to Bisharp, and there are other Generation V Pokemon I want to see get in over Zoroark.

Bisharp

Chance: 45%

Considering we are yet to see a Steel-type rep, Bisharp would work quite well to fill that role. It could use Steel attacks like Iron Head and Metal Sound to reflect this typing, along with some Dark type moves like Pursuit, Feint Attack, and Sucker Punch to reflect its Dark-typing and merciless nature. More interestingly, since it is known as the "Sword Blade Pokemon", it could also use sword based attacks like Metal Claw, Night Slash, Aerial Ace, Fury Swipes, and Shadow Claw, and I already discussed yesterday how it would be great to have a sword user on the Pokken roster. Only problem? Bisharp has serious competition with Gallade to fill that role of being sword-fighter in the Pokken Roster, as Gallade is the original sword-fighter of the two and is also a lot more popular than Bisharp (Aegislash could also be competition, but to me, he is more so a sword by himself rather than a sword-user).

Want: 90%

Bisharp is the Dark-type I want to see join the Pokken roster (aside from Greninja, who already has a very high chance, and Weavile, who is already in), mainly because he is one of my favorite Pokemon from generation V (I began to like Bisharp more in the following generation when Bisharp received a lot of excellent buffs that made him excellent and fun for competitive play). I'm a fan of Pokemon that look light sword fighters and fight with sword based attacks. Bisharp fits that description perfectly, though I prefer seeing Gallade get in first as the sword-fighter over Bisharp because Gallade remains my favorite Pokemon to this day (hence why my want rating for Bisharp isn't at 100%).

That aside, I am especially interested in seeing how his Burst Attack would look like. Personally, I want to see Bisharp summon a horde of Pawniards as they all charge towards the opposing Pokemon and attack from different angles. After a good amount of attacks, about six Pawniards would pin down the Pokemon to the ground. Then, Bisharp would run toward the opposing Pokemon and deliver a finishing slash to KO the Pokemon. This attack would reflect Bisharp's pitiless nature and what he does in the Pokemon world: he commands an army of Pawniards to hunt down the prey, and he and Pawniards would relentlessly pursue it until they finally catch it; once that's done, Bisharp delivers the finishing blow.

Nidoking

He is fairly recognizable Pokemon from the 1st generation games. By default, you would already have a Ground-based, power moveset to reflect his Ground typing, a type that is yet to represented amongst the fighters in the game. At the same time, he could also use some horn-based attacks, and we really don't have any horn fighters on the roster yet either. He also has a very diverse move pool which would make him interesting in Pokken Tournament. He can learn attacks like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc. that could make him a distance fighter at times.

The main issues going for him is that there are other popular Ground types he would have to compete with that would fight with similar Ground-based movesets, such as Golem, Rhyperior (who would also be a big competitor for the horn-based fighter slot, although Nidoking is arguably more popular and iconic than he is), and Krookodile. Furthermore, the split evolution argument I brought up with Gallade yesterday really applies to Nidoking as well; in fact, it is the perfect example of that argument. Usually, most Pokemon fans (including myself) always think of Nidoking and Nidoqueen when one of them is brought up because they are practically alike. If only Nidoking were to be included, it wouldn't be fair to exclude Nidoqueen out of the picture. That being said, I think if Nidoking were to be added, Nidoqueen should be added as well.

I think he'd be another good pick for a Ground type fighter. It would also be good to have some horn fighters added to the roster, and Nidoking can do that job perfectly as well. Sadly, he really isn't at the top of my Pokken wish list at the moment, nor is he on my wish list for a Poison-type fighter.

Feraligatr

Feraligatr has the best chance for being the generation II final-evolution starter to join the roster since it is relatively popular and Typhlosion will likely be avoided thanks to Charizard already representing the "true Fire user" on the Pokken roster. Aside from popularity, Feraligatr definitely has some traits going for it. Namely, it is one of the most prominent jaw-attackers in the Pokemon world, and we don't have any sort of jaw-attackers on the Pokken Roster yet. It can also use some claw attacks here and there and perhaps attack with its tail. With all of this in mind, he'd be attacking like a real alligator, something that would make him very unique. Of course, he would also use some Water attacks to reflect his typing.

Unfortunately, I fear that Feraligatr will get shafted by the developers because they could see Suicune as the Water attacker in Pokken Tournament, even if Feraligatr could be unique by using some more physical based water attacks instead of special based ones. For a jaw-user, he would also have to compete with Krookodile for the slot, especially since we are yet to see a Ground-type fighter.

While Feraligatr is my favorite of the Generation II starters, he isn't one of the Water starters I want to join the most; that title goes to Swampert (not counting Greninja). Though a jaw-attacker would definitely make an interesting addition to the roster, I'd prefer seeing Krookodile get in over Feraligatr

Krookodile

He'd be a unique addition to the roster for reasons I already discussed with Feraligatr (a.k.a, being a jaw-attacker that could also fight like a crocodile with his claws and tail). We are also yet to see the Ground type properly represented in the game, so Krookodile could also use a quake style moveset. Krookodile's evolution line is also one of the more recognized evolution lines from generation V, particularly because it's basic stage, Sandile, was one of the earlier generation V Pokemon to be revealed, and his role in the anime boosted his popularity. That aside, Krookodile would have to be compete with other popular Ground-types to make it in as the Ground type represented, and he would have to compete with other Pokemon that would have a similar way of pulling off biting/scrating based attacks (and Feraligatr would have to compete with those Pokemon as well). At least Krookodile has the status of being a generation V Pokemon when facing his competition, especially since we are yet to see a generation V rep.

Between the two crocodile Pokemon, I want to see Krookodile get in. I like Krookodile's design more because it is one of those Pokemon that looks really menacing and antagonistic, even it's Pokedex entry states that it is a "very violent Pokemon." The Pokken roster could really use some more villainous-looking Pokemon; we have Gengar and Weavile for that already, and Mewtwo is probably on the way to boost that number, so I think Krookodile would fit well with them too.

Nominations:

Swampert: x2
Meloetta: x1
Gogoat: x1
Salamence: x1

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Kecleon

Chance: 15%
An older mon built around the gimmick of changing its affinity to match that of the last attack it took (or to match each attack it uses, if you can get your hands on a HA one). Outside of being forced to fight a few in the Hoenn games and their reputation in the Mystery Dungeon series for being shopkeepers with a vengeance, they're...not very well thought of and kind of unremarkable. Making matters worse, Namco-Bandai has gone on record saying type effectiveness isn't being used in Pokkén (for obvious balance reasons), meaning Kecleon's whole gimmick wouldn't even work!

Want: 20%
With Color Change and Protean out of the question, Kecleon doesn't leave a whole lot to be desired. Even a camouflage gimmick wouldn't work as well as something similar the next candidate could do...

Zoroark

Chance: 65%
One of the standouts among many from Gen 5, though Zoroark didn't take off the way Lucario did. Illusionary powers and trickery combined with a mastery of elemental darkness could provide a counterpoint to the physical Weavile.

But, things aren't necessarily as they seem. A few other Dark types also have a viable claim to get in, and if there really aren't too many more characters left, Zoroark may have been passed on for one of them.

May not be Absol, but Zoroark would be cool nonetheless. The line's ability to create illusions could really shine here despite being so limited in the games. Multiple fake outs? Illusory doppelgangers that leave opponents wondering who to hit? Attacks that aren't actually real?

Bisharp

One of those aforementioned Dark types giving Zoroark competition. Bisharp has its share of fans for being a walking anime reference armed to the teeth (and chest) with metal blades. A dearth of Steel types so far gives Bisharp a small, indirect boost to its chances of being in the works, but it'd still need to win out over at least a few other Dark types to secure a spot, and an entirely-physical stat spread akin to Weavile isn't helping its chances as far as uniqueness goes...

Has some interesting potential, but not as appealing to me as the likes of Absol or Zoroark.

Nidoking

Also known as "that one mon everyone used when they were younger", a Poison/Ground hybrid who learns little in terms of Poison or Ground moves but a lot of secondary coverage. Poisoning moves combined with general bulk, horn-based attacks, and recognition could add up in Nidoking's favor, right?

...Well...not necessarily. Pokkén seems to be focusing on its characters' primary powers, ignoring the further reaches of their movepools, and that leaves Nidoking and its lackluster repertoire of primary attacks in a shaky situation.

Want: 30%
A little interested, but come on, haven't we had enough from Gen 1 already? There're so many other options for Poison types, and if they wanted something that specialized in horn moves, why not Rhyperior?

Feraligatr

Johto's starters overall aren't looking too good. Typhlosion has to deal with two other Fire starters while not standing out very well compared to them. Meganium is generally disliked overall and overshadowed by a ton of other Grass types. Now Feraligatr has been blocked by Suicune, a different pure Water type with more prominence.

That said...that doesn't ruin Gatr's chances entirely. Where Suicune leans more toward elemental water and ice, Feraligatr is physical-leaning with a focus on biting moves. Though other, more distinct Water types would probably get the nod first, and ones from less represented generations are more likely to be hidden from us right now, there's still somewhat of a chance.

My personal favorite of the Johto starters, and I've always been a fan of Water types.

Krookodile

And here we have the other croc...gator...gavial...well, their souce animals are both related, let's go with that. Unlike Feraligatr, though, Krookodile...isn't quite as prominent. The biggest thing going for it right now is the total absence so far of Ground types and mons from Gen 5, which could mean it's the reason for both of those. As I've said before, though, it's a bit of a stretch.

Meh. Has some interesting features, but not very high on my list.

Nominations:
Mienshao x2!
Abomasnow
Galvantula
Samurott

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Kecleon chances: 13%
Similar to Farfetch'd, most people are apathetic towards this Pokémon, but remember about it due to its unique characteristics and the fact it was the Snorlax of Generation III, plus heavily featured in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon from what I've read. Kecleon also has a viable design and unique abilities like invisibility or fighting with its tongue, and could be a strong contender for a trickster playstyle.

Kecleon wan: 66%
Psybeam, Color Change, Lick, this Pokémon could indeed have a unique playstyle, and I'd be down with Pokkén developers trying to create fighters outside of Pokémon who are super popular within the fandom.

-----

Zoroark chances: 55%
The Pokémon who was at first supposed to bury Lucario and be the official mascot of gen V, but who didn't get the expected huge popularity and was actually buried by Lucario if anything, the later who became pretty much a mascot for the series as a whole rather than just gen IV. That said, Zoroark is still popular and fondly remembered, and still one of gen V's mascots. While there's potential overlap with Weavile for a Dark-type with a slash-heavy fighting style, Zoroark still has enough tools associated to it to be a diverse fighter, such as its signature move Night Daze and its Illusion abilities, though those obviously can't work like in the main Pokémon games and will require to take creative liberties like creating several false copies of itself.

Zoroark want: 60%
While I'm worried about a slew of Dark-type Pokémon with slashes and claws as their main way to attack, Zoroark's abilities are interesting enough to catch my attention.

-----

Bisharp chances: 18%
A kind of popular Pokémon with a unique typing and a body covered of blades that may potentially inspire a unique moveset. That said, there are most likely more popular and/or unique Pokémon to choose from and would potentially overlap with Bisharp gameplay-wise.

Bisharp want: 35%
Meh, I'm not really excited by its potential playstyle. Though dual swordplay could be fun I suppose.

-----

Nidoking chances: 52%
One of the most fondly remembered Pokémon of the first generation, still keeping a unique type combination alongside his female counterpart. Ground and venom powers combined with a massive an extensive movepool including the likes of Thunderbolt or Ice Beam if they want to explore it deeply, viability in both physical and special attacks, give Nidoking a huge potential in moveset and uniqueness. I expect him to come alongside Nidoqueen as a semi-clone duo if he makes in it.

Nidoking want: 90%
Yes please! With both venom and ground powers alongside a viability in both physical and special movepool, Nidoking could be an awesome fighter, and it'd be cool to have a semi-clone duo in this game with Nidoqueen as well.

----

King K. Rool Feraligatr chances: 22%
An decently popular fully-evolved starter who could potentially combine biting attacks and physical Water-type attacks like Waterfall and Aqua Tail. Most Water users would probably be using moves like Surf or Hydro Pump, and a physical water-type could end up to be a departure from that.

Feraligatr want: 58%
Arguably one of the best choices for a psysical water attacker, and combined with a biting playstyle, it catches my interest.

-----

King K. Rool again Krookodile chances: 22%
Another decently popular generation V Pokémon who from what I've read had an important involvement in the anime due to being one of Ash's best Pokémon. It has a unique typing and impressive jaws which may inspire a moveset for it.

Krookodile want: 48%
Those jaws look impressive, and Krookodile may use ground-based powerful attacks as well, but overall it doesn't excite me as a Pokkén fighter. There are better choices to fill its potential niches.

-----

Nominating: Magikarp; Abomasnow; Terrakion x2; Xerneas

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Keckleon
Chance: 36%
They could make it a unique Pokémon by giving it some sort of 'knows every move of the opponent' thing like they do with Mokujin, so if it gets hit by a Fire type attack, it's attacks could have an enhanced fire element to it.
Want: 56% An interesting concept - neutral until confirmation, but it could be interesting.

Zoroark
Chance: 76%
Being one of the most memorable Pokémon of Generation V, I could see them adding it into the game. It makes sense too, and they could make it unique with it's Ability to disguise as any other Pokémon.
Want: 79% Why not? I wouldn't mind it being playable at all.

Bisharp
Chance: 56%
It's possible, but I think Zoroark might take priority over it, as well as being a more unique Pokémon.
Want: 50 Neutral until confirmation

Nidoking
Chance: 46%
They could add it as a heavy brute Ground type Pokémon.
Want: 50% Neutral until confirmation

Feraligatr
Chance: 43%
Want - 55% Fairly neutral, but I would like to see more of the Johto region outside of Suicune.

Krookodile
Chance 31%
Neutral until confirmation - 48%

Nominations: Koffing X2 Sylveon X2 Xatu X1

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Kecleon's chances: 10%

Zoroark's chances: 75%

Bisharp's chances: 30%

Nidoking's chances: 30%

Fereligatr's chances: 30%

Krookodile's chances: 30%
Want: 70%

Nominations: Sceptile x2
Dragonite x1
Typhlosion x1
Mienshao x1

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Kecleon
Chance: 5%
It doesn't really stand out that much, it does have a recurring role in Mystery Dungeon, but that role is more like pre-Awakening Anna (with a little Apotheosis mixed in) then anything really major like Grovyle or Hydreigon. So it's not something I feel will become playable in the long run.

Want: 65%
Could have a neat moveset due to its abilities.

Zoroark
Was the first majorly marketed Pokémon for Gen 5, was tied to N, a major character in the BW games, and had a major appearance in some of the spinoffs (though oddly not Mystery Dungeon, not even as a side character), so it definitely has a strong chance. However, it did fall off hard after BW and is a little lacking in popularity compared to some of the other choices due to not really catching on, but I do feel that it's original status could help it out here.

Want: 40%
Never cared for it really and the moveset idea isn't as appealing to me.

Bisharp
Has a nice amount of popularity and moveset potential, but not much else.

It would be a really cool Pokémon to see, particularly in terms of the movesets that they could implement for him based on his slashing abilities.

Nidoking
While not Pikachu or Charizard tier, he's ne of the more popular Pokémon that you'd still get a great amount of people who'd fondly remember this guy. A lot of fans have used him over the years, and for good reason, he has an excellent movepool that could be easily drawn from. So for that reason, he has a better chance then most to appear as a lot of people would enjoy to see him playable, but limited slots could keep him out here.

I was one of those fans who used him over the years, so I have a fondness for this guy. Even ignoring that personal bias, his natural abilities give him something that I feel would bring a great character to the table.

Feraligatr
Chance: 28%
The Johto starters are odd to me, they come from a generation that's really popular, but they themselves never really stuck out, especially compared to your Greninjas, Charizards or Blazikens. Even in the anime, they kind of fell to the wayside due to how the Kanto group seemed to take more precedence over them and none of them really felt like they shined. However, that's not to say that they don't have some popularity to them. They (well, Typhlosion and Feralgatr mostly) are still pretty popular Pokémon and they still do have a lot of fans that love them a lot, so they do have a strong possibility to be considered. With Feralgatr in particular, it has a notable amount of appearances and could stand out from Charizard (and Blaziken, but it's oddly not appearing at the moment) somewhat being a crocodilian, ground-based fighter that could use biting moves. So it's potential is there to be tapped, though if it will remains to be seen.

I loved this Pokémon back in Gen 2 and I do like the idea of a moveset based around its crocodile appearance and bites, so I definitely would like to see him. However, I feel his moveset could be handled a bit better by one other Pokémon, and that's...

Krookodile
Chance: 28%
Has a notable amount of popularity, it usually does pretty well in polls and the line seems to get a lot of love. It also is one of the few Pokémon in the anime that got and maintained its popularity throughout due to many fans feeling it was one of the better handled members in the cast, and it does have some notable appearances in spinoffs for others to notice it in that area as well. So it's definitely had an impact on the fanbase and franchise to be noticed, even if it's not as much as some other Pokémon, and with its typing and abilities, it has a good moveset idea there that could be used for the game.

Want: 95%
Like with Feraligatr, its appearance lends well to a ground-based fighter based around biting moves. It also has its typing, which lends a bit more to that area then Feraligatr due to it having a nice repertoire of Ground and Dark type moves to use alongside such an idea. With Earthquake, Crunch, Outrage, and the like at its disposal, it can be a really brutal fighter that can take the enemy up close and focuses more on harsh damage dealing then combos.

@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice
I actually forgot to nominate in that post.
Luxray x2
Tyrantrum x1
Blastoise x1

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice
I actually forgot to nominate in that post.
Luxray x2
Tyrantrum x2
Blastoise x1
Just saying that you can give 2 nomination only to one Pokémon. I'll let you some time to edit your post in order to choose which of either Luxray or Tyrantrum gets 2 noms (and maybe give one nom to one more Pokémon if you want), otherwise I'll just count them as x1 each.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Kecleon
Chance: 1%
Kecleon is just wholly unremarkable as a Pokémon, and I honestly don't see how he'd work well. His entire gimmick would have been about STAB or always getting super-effective hits, and since neither are in Pokken that makes him terribly unlikely.

Want: 0.5%
Kecleon is so wholly unremarkable that the only times you remember it is when it's impeding on your story progression. When a Pokémon is so underwhelming you forget it exists until the game shoves it into your mind, that means it's not popular. And nobody wants it if it can't do what it's known for.

Zoroark
Chance: 50%
As one of the most popular Gen 5 newcomers, Zoroark is pretty obvious for a role, but chances at playability all rest on his notability in the long run. If he remains really popular, he could be playable. He could also drop like a rock and not be.

I never saw the appeal of Zoroark besides it's name. It's horribly uninteresting from a palette perspective (dark red, black and blue), and since we already have a 'Mon with that palette (Weavile), I'm not sure they'll want to have too much bland colours in the roster.

Krookodile
I could definitely see Krookodile getting in, especially since it's described as something of a robber in the Pokémon world, which could lead to some interesting concepts. I'd personally love to see what they could do with him.

Oh man, if Krookodile did get in, I'd play the everloving hell out of him because he's just so goddamn awesome.

Nominations:
Tyrantrum x2
Aerodactyl x1
Luxray x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Kecleon chances: 17.08%
Kecleon want: 40.63%

Zoroark chances: 63.83%
Zoroark want: 63.25%

Bisharp chances: 32.18%
Bisharp want: 49.55%

Nidoking chances: 38.00%
Nidoking want: 67.27%

Feraligatr chances: 33.45%
Feraligatr want: 61.18%

Krookodile chances: 31.33%
Krookodile want: 64.25%

Sorry for the late update. Fun fact - we got our first Pokémon that was more expected than wanted! Though not by much and Zoroark still proven itself to be more than decently popular among voters. Today will be a day heavily focused on Hoenn with some guests from Unova since we're rating Sceptile, Swampert, Mienshao, Terrakion, Seviper and a Plusle & Minun tag team. Please rate them in chances and want, and don't forget to nominate more Pokémon to rate!

I'm going to rate and nominate later.

@ Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J I've only counter one nomination for your Koffing and Sylveon. Don't forget that you can't give two nominations to more than one Pokémon!

If you wonder why I choose Seviper over Abomasnow to rate today despite the same number of nominations, it's because I literally had no place in the title for the later... ahah.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Sceptile

Sceptile is possibly a top contender for the first Grass type in Pokken, fellow Hoenn poke Breloom and other grass starters Chesnaught and possibly Serperior would appear to be his top competition. Sceptile doesn't have the fighting type like two of his competition but he does have a very blade-centric attack style and can be a very raptor like attacker that can ultimately Mega evolve and use his tail drill for his Super.

----

Swampert

Gets a higher want because of the beast that is Mega Swampert! Swampert is arguably one of the more popular water starters out there, though he's got to compete with the likes of blastoise and Feraligatr, not too mention Poliwrath would play similarily I find (plus the fighting type)...Swampert could definitely be interesting using both water and Ground type attacks, and throwing out muddy water and mud bombs. So he'd play a lot differently to his competition.

----

Mienshao (Yameeee!)

One thing about fighting types is that a lot of different pokemon represent different fighting styles. Mienshao has Kung Fu covered to some extent and even playing similarily to Shaolin Monks to some extent. Thing is...when it comes to fighting types, competition is very fierce to get into the playable roster and Mienshao make not make the cut...especially when you consider Gen V with Sawk and Throh, Conkeldurr, and Scrafty as well...

----

Terrakion

AKA the only Swords of Justice legendary people care about...jokes aside, He's got the fighting type which is an advantage in itself for a fighting game, but he can also implement rock and ground type moves as well. But that's not were the money lies...Like Suicune he's a quadruped, but unlike Suicune, he's a physical brute!...A Bull to be precise, one that charges viciously on the field ramming his opponents violently with it's horns sending them flying wayward, along with other hyper aggressive attacsk to boot....Gen V has yet to receive a recipient in this game and Terrakion would not only fill that void fairly well but could work as another legendary fighter as well...

----

Seviper

A serpentine fighter would be fairly interesting...Seviper is known for battling with it's rival of the wild Zangoose, and can implement physical poison type attacks ,Poison Tail and Poison Fang as well as wrapping it's foe...However when it comes to serpentine fighters we got Serperior, who's Grass typing is yet to be represented, Milotic a combination of Water, Ice and even Dragon type attacks, Arbok...yeah probably not, but would pretty much work similarily to Seviper, cept without Poison tail...I don't think Seviper really has much going for it to be a fighter to begin with...

----

Plusle & Minun Tag Team

These guys wouldn't have a prayer on their own especially since their whole gimmick revolves around fighting along side each other...they were also possibly part of the Forbidden Seven in Brawl, technically Pra_mai which is theorized to be Plusle and Minun, so they may very well have been considered...But other than being a tag-team what can they do that Pikachu can't? Is being a tag-team enough uniqueness to differentiate them from Pokemon's Main Mascot? Especially since they basically started the whole 'Pikachu clone' trend in Pokemon.....I personally don't think so...A Tag team may be cool, but I don't think Plusle and Minun would be the best choices...

----

Nomintaions:
Typhlosion x2
Tyrantrum x1
Hariyama x1
Quagsire x1

Last edited:
Sceptile
Chance: 50% (most likely Grass type... although the fact that we (possibly) already have a Gen 3 starter in the game hurts him a bit)
Want: 100% (My starter in OR)

Swampert
Chance: 30% (Greninja is more likely Water starter and we (possibly) already have a Gen 3 starter)
Want: 50% (Despite being my starter in Emerald I'm mostly indifferent towards him)

Mienshao
Chance: 30% (A fighting type... we already have two... possibly three... and Hawlucha is also very likely)
Want: 0% (I don't care about him)

Terrakion
Chance: 25% (If we one of the Swords of Justice, it'll most likely be Keldeo, and it would be a bit weird to have Terrakion withour Virizion and Cobalion... although we got Suicune without the other two, but unlike them, Suicune was a version mascot)
Want: 15%

Seviper
Chance: 20% (We still lack a Poison type and a serpentine Pokemon, but Seviper isn't exactly the most popular Poison type or serpentine (Serperior and Milotic are probably more popular, and there's also others but they're probably too big), and it would be a bit weird have Seviper without Zangoose)
Want: 100% (One of my favorite Pokemon, and while I prefer Arbok over Seviper, Seviper has clearly more potential)

Plusle & Minun tag team
Chance: 1% (I don't think that a tag team type character would work in Pokken, and if we get a second Electric type, Ampharos is a clear choice for that, also these two are too similar to Pikachu IMO)
Want: 0% (I don't like any of the non-evolving Clonechus... yet they have to make one (or two) each generation :facepalm:)

Nominations: Darkrai 2x, Torterra, Chesnaught, Aegislash

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman

He has the best chances to be our Grass fighter, but we could get something more interesting for the type.

Having Surf, Earthquake, muddy water gives it a heavy range focus moveset, controling the ground with low attacks. My GF loves it, so more points to it =P

The kung fu rat... I don't really like it, but could be really cool if they give it a kung fu focused moveset

I don't think we will get another 4 legged legendary... and for brute force, I preffer other mons

Chance: 20%
Want: 25%
Not serperior... and without zangoose he is incomplete... maybe as an assist, with its tail to cause heavy damage and poison

poor kids, Pikachu has all the spotlight... maybe they could be a double assist, I don't think we will get a tag team...

Noms
Porygon Z x2
Sandslash
Golduck
Luxray

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Pardon the bluntness on these. I'm pressed for time right now. >_>

Sceptile

We've yet to see a Grass type, and this particular one seems to be the frontrunner. A fan favorite among Grass starters and starters overall, with unique abilities thanks to the leaves that grow from its wrists and tail and the seeds on its back!

There's always the chance they'd pass up on Sceptile for more niche Grass types that'd do more distinct things, though.

I could go for a couple characters with plant-based powers, and this one's really grown on me (hee hee) over the years. In fact, Pokkén isn't the only fighting game Sceptile could get into right now...

Swampert

A mix of water and earth attacks plus a stat spread than leans more toward physical blows could make Swampert a good contrast to Suicune...provided the developers thought out the roster that way, anyway. On the other hand, though, Swampert's line is more known for mud-based attacks that might prove too ranged-focused to be distinct in playstyle, and there're still a few other Water types with decent claim to get in as well...

Another starter I'm particularly fond of, a Water-user with a cool design, an interesting power set, and a very distinct Mega form to stand out even more!

I wonder what the odds are of all three Hoenn starters showing up? Probably not very likely, considering how unusual it'd be. On the other hand, Hoenn's starter trio is probably the most overall liked...

Mienshao

As a pure Fighting type, there's a lot of competition, especially if the dev team wants to branch out more into other types. If they do want another more conventional fighter, though, Mienshao would probably be on their radars. Mienshao's nature as an agile glass cannon would stand out well compared to the bulky, in-your-face Machamp and the (seemingly) well-rounded Lucario.

...And also happens to be one of my favorites from Gen 5 and my third most wanted overall.

Terrakion

Hard to say on this one. A quadruped Fighting type would certainly be unique, and we haven't seen any Rock types yet. Just the same, though, Terrakion's not the most well known outside of competitive play, and the rest of the musketeer quartet may have been given higher priority due to being similar in design and thematics, despite not sharing their primary element.

I guess he'd be interesting? I...honestly don't have much of an opinion on this one.

Seviper

Would a snake make for an unusual fighter? Perhaps. Is there a lack of Poison types so far, possibly hinting at one or more yet to be revealed? Yes.

But would Seviper be among them? That's...not very likely. Without much noteworthy to them other than a personal vendetta against the entire Zangoose species (which are already background elements, by the way), I can't give this one a vote of confidence at all.

I can't say I'm all that interested, either. They're pretty bland, and if they really wanted a serpent in the game, why not go with the much more interesting Serperior?

Plusle & Minun

Chance: 7.5%
Ah, yes, the pair who keeps showing up around here thanks to (possibly) having been given a look in Brawl. Thing is, they're not very well liked, haven't been particularly noteworthy since their debut, and other than a duo mechanic (Which we don't know would even be allowed!), there's little these two can do that Pikachu doesn't already.

I suppose there's always the chance of getting in as a literal Pikaclone, but we've seen nothing so far to prove there'll be any clones.

Yeah, I'm...not a fan. At all.

Nominations:
Samurott x2!
Galvantula
Chesnaught
Noivern

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields

Sceptile
Chance: 70%
I'd say he's the most popular grass starter which will help him a lot.

Swampert
Blaziken hasn't been officially confirmed, but he's there. I don't think any region will manage to get its three starters. Shame since I like the combo of Surf and Muddy Water.

Mienshao
I used one in my Black playthrough, but somehow I don't want it to appear.

Terrakion
I don't think he'd be added without his brothers (only Keldeo stands a chance). Sure, you could mention Suicune, but Suicune managed to be the cover Pokémon of Crystal placing him above the other beasts.

Seviper
Serperior stands higher in chance and want.

Plusle & Minun
The idea of a tag team character sounds extremely unlikely, and I'm fine with just Pikachu.

Nominations
Kangaskhan x2
Heracross
Ursaring
Infernape

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Sceptile

We are yet to see a Grass-type type rep in the Pokken roster, and Sceptile is arguably the best bet to fill that role. In addition to using grass-type moves, he can also use blade-based attacks to make him more unique from the other Pokemon; he can also attack by slapping opponents with his huge tail and perhaps use some biting here and there. Unfortunately, Sceptile has to compete with some other popular grass types for the role of a Grass-type rep, namely Torterra, Chesnaught, and its biggest competition, Serperior (another very popular Grass type Pokemon who could also have a unique moveset).

If I had to pick a Grass type rep for Pokken Tournament, I'd rather pick Serperior. Though we might already have Blaziken on the way, I want to see Swampert get in as the next Hoenn starter. Of course, I still think Sceptile would be interesting an interesting fighter. I can see his Burst Attack being his Mega Evolution, and then he would launch his tail from his body like it were a missile, delivering huge damage to the opposing Pokemon.

Swampert

Swampert is one of the more popular Water Starters from all the generations combined, and he has been getting some spotlight in the Pokemon world again thanks to getting a Mega Evolution recently. Unfortunately, he faces the same issues as Feraligatr is dealing with at the moment. Suicune can already be seen as the Water fighter in this game, and for the sake of uniqueness with this fighting style in mind, Swampert isn't a priority to include. He would also have to compete with Blastoise, Feraligatr, and Greninja (who is a very likely inclusion at this point) if he will be the next Water Pokemon to join the roster.

Of course, like all the other Water starters, he definitely has some traits that could make him stand out from others. For one, the Ground type is yet to be represented in the game, and Swampert could be another candidate for a quake-style moveset. Perhaps most interestingly of all, he could use a mud-based moveset with moves like Muddy Water, Mud Sport, Mud Shot, and Mud Bomb, as Swampert is known for being a mud-lover. With that in mind, he would have to compete with Gastrodon and Seismitoad since they could use a similar moveset, but out of the three, Swampert is the most popular.

Pokemon Ruby was the first Pokemon game I've every played, and Mudkip was my first starter Pokemon ever. When I saw it's awesome-looking final evolution, Swampert became my favorite Pokemon of all time (before Gallade came into the picture). I really loved the fact that he had only one weakness, and his design looks awesome. When OR/AS came out, I picked Swampert as my starter in order to have a throwback to the good ol' generation III days. I didn't like its Mega-Evolution at first, but then it really grew on me once realized how it got some excellent buffs (not to mention he is one of the most muscular-looking Pokemon I have ever seen). A mud-based moveset would also be a great concept, along with some physical based Water moves thrown into the mix. One way or the other, I will be a happy man if I see Swampert get in, but not as happy compared to seeing Gallade get included.

Mienshao

Sure we might have two Fighting-type Pokemon already, but like I explained when I discussed Gallade's chances, they are both unique in the way they fight. Mienshao, though another Fighting-type, would be another unique fighter in that she could use some Kung Fu-style attacks. Unfortunately, there are some other Pokemon that fight using martial arts: Hariyama, Medicham, Throh, and Sawk. Mienshao would have to compete with all of these Pokemon for the Martial Arts rep. Even then, there are plenty of other Fighting types who could also be unique in how they attack, and when looking at all the Fighting types from generation V, she isn't one of the most noteworthy nor popular.

A Kung-Fu fighter would be pretty cool, but Mienshao never really stuck out to me from Generation V. I'd prefer seeing Conkeldurr for the generation V Fighting type rep over her (not counting any of members of the Musketeer Quartet).

Terrakion

Now for the role of the 5th generation Fighting-type Pokemon on the roster, Terrakion and the members of his quartet definitely have a much more probable chance than Mienshao. Between all of them, however, Terrakion is one of the two that has the higher chance (the other being Keldeo). He is a pretty popular and recognizable Pokemon from Generation V, and it would definitely offer an interesting moveset for a Fighting-type. In his case, he would be attacking as if he were a bull, and it makes sense when looking at his design. He also has Rock-typing going for him, something that is yet to represented in Pokken Tournament roster. Personally, I feel as though it'd be awkward to add Terrakion and exclude Cobalion and Virizion from the mix since the three are very much, hence why I think Keldeo would be a more likely pick (considering it wasn't part of the original trio). Then again, we saw Suicune get in by himself, so Terrakion could get that same treatment.

When it comes to movesets, Terrakion would have to compete with Tauros, Bouffalant, Rampardos, and Tyrantrum for the bull-attacker/headbutt attacker rep, and with the Rock-type moveset, he would face competition with other popular Rock types such as Golem, Rhyperior, popular Fossil Pokemon, etc. When faced with his competition, however, he has the status of being a generation V Pokemon, a generation that is yet to represented in the Pokken lineup.

A Pokemon that would attack using headbutts and ramming through opponents would a great fighting style to see in this game, especially if Terrakion could use some Rock-type moves like Stone Edge and Rock Slide into the mix.

Seviper

Seviper is somewhat of a recognizable Pokemon from the 3rd generation due to its role in the anime and it's relationship with Zangoose, being the first Pokemon pair to be enemies with each other. He also has some uniqueness going for it. Not counting Gengar, we are yet to see a true Poison-type fighter on the roster, and Seviper could do the job perfectly using physical Poison attacks like Poison Fang and Poison Tail. In addition to attacking with fangs and tail, he could also use some coiling attacks to demonstrate how dangerous of a snake he can be, and that would make him very interesting in the Pokken lineup.

Sadly, he has some fierce competition with other Pokemon for the role of a coil attacker thanks to its lack of popularity compared to his rivals: Serperior is the most probably candidate thanks to its popularity and Grass-typing; Arbok could also be a competitor thanks to the two being quite similar (with Arbok arguably being the more iconic poisonous snake in the Pokemon world); and Gyarados and Milotic would also take the lead over Seviper for a potentially similar attack style (not looking at the Water aspect of them). He's also another Pokemon I can't picture getting in without it's counterpart. I mean, if Seviper gets included, Zangoose should become a fighter as well because the two Pokemon are enemies of each other and can easily duke it out in a game of Pokken.

As interesting as a snake-type fighter would be, Seviper is simply not one of those Pokemon I want to see join Pokken the most, especially since they are other Poison-types I'd love to see get in over him

Plusle and Minun tag team

While a tag team would make a very interesting concept in this game, I think this another fighting style that would be very hard to develop. Furthermore, Pikachu already seems to fill the role of the "Electric Rodent" on the Pokken Roster, and compared to Pikachu, Plusle and Minun are nowhere near iconic as he is, even if they were fairly recognizable Pokemon from the Hoenn region and happen to be Hoenn's Pikachu. To me, these two Pokemon would be much more fitting as Assist Pokemon, especially since Emolga is another "Electric Rodent" in the game that isn't as recognized as Pikachu and got in as an Assist Pokemon.

I do like Plusle and Minun, and a tag team fighting style would be very unique, but when it comes to adding more Electric-type Pokemon, they are not one of my top options, especially since they attack very much like Pikachu.

Nominations:

Meloetta: x2
Salamence: x1
Empoleon: x1

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Sceptile
Chance - 40%
Want - 40%
Sceptile might be likely, but I still prefer Breloom personally. Aside from that, we've already possibly got Blaziken in the roster, and the idea of getting multiple starters from one generation isn't incredibly likely. Could happen, but not extremely likely. Most likely they'll also give Sceptile a physical move set, even though he's a better special attacker (not entirely his fault I guess, he get's NOTHING for special attacks). Not exactly a problem, but it would still rub me the wrong way.

Swampert
Chance - 40%
Want - 70%
I'm gonna be honest, I like the idea of Swampert more than Sceptile and Blaziken, even with the addition of Suicune to the roster. Swampert can use powerful moves like Earthquake and possibly Waterfall. Also, there's just something about Swampert's design that I like more than Sceptile's, especially when it comes to Mega Evolutions.\

Mienshao
Chance - 20%
Want - 10%
I've never used a Mienshao in Pokemon, so to me it's essentially a nobody. It's never really been prominent. It's never gained a lot of attention, I only know it because it's largely used for a Fake Out user. Not much else I can say about it, it just appears boring to me.

Terrakion
Chance - 25% (because it's 1/4 of the Swords of Justice XD)
Want - 10%
I'll admit, this want score would be higher... if it weren't for the amount of times I see it used with "justified and rock slide." This has annoyed me IMMENSELY, to the point where I've become irked when I see the thing. Makes it worse that we've already got Weavile, essentially his partner in crime.

Seviper
Chance - 20%
Want - 40%
A serpent fighter? That's actually a pretty cool concept. The only problem here is that he's not Arbok. Yeah, I don't know why, but I'd prefer Arbok to Seviper. Probably because it would be weird to see Seviper without his rival Zangoose. (Fun fact that I'm sure you all know, Seviper and Zangoose can breed. So... yeah.)

Plusle and Minun Team
Chance - 15%
Want - 70%
I'll be honest, there's pretty much no way this will happen. A tag team fighter would be incredibly interesting though, and I think these two are probably the best to do it. I'll agree, that they would be pretty similar to Pikachu, and I understand why everyone is rating low in want because of it (clones, nobody likes them). Personally, I think the Tag Team concept makes up for it. I also game them a slightly higher chance than most would give them due to being heavily advertised Pokemon back in Generation three.

Nominations
Slowbro X1
Wobbuffet X1
Marowak X1
Pinsir X1
Arbok X1

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Unfortunately, there are some other Pokemon that fight using martial arts: Hariyama, Medicham, Throh, and Sawk. Mienshao would have to compete with all of these Pokemon for the Martial Arts rep. Even then, there are plenty of other Fighting types who could also be unique in how they attack, and when looking at all the Fighting types from generation V, she isn't one of the most noteworthy nor popular.
But why would they restrict themselves to only one mon based on a martial art?

Now for the role of the 5th generation Fighting-type Pokemon on the roster, Terrakion and the members of his quartet definitely have a much more probable chance than Mienshao.
...And why would they restrict themselves to one Fighting type from Gen 5? While they might be encouraged to look elsewhere, why would be it a hard rule?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Nominations: Koffing X2
Xatu X1
Sylveon X1

Sceptile Chance: 65% - I think Sceptile's main could be a good Grass-Type for Pokkén. It also depends on whether or not Blaziken is in the final product and if they'll decide to go with it as the Grass Type starter Pokémon.

Want: 65% Wouldn't mind it - and it would be pretty cool to see it fight in Pokkén. Though I probably would prefer Grovyle, since I've got a personal history with it.
Why I released my starter, I have no idea.

Swampert Chance: 45% It depends on if the other Hoenn Starters will make an appearance.
Want: Neutral until confirmation - 56%

Terrakion Chance: 47%
Want: 50% Neutral until confirmation, but it could be an interesting pick of the Three Poké Musketeers.

Mienshao Chance: 23%
Want: 14%

Seviper Chance: 12%
Want: 15% It wouldn't be my preferred pick for a Poison type.

Plusle + Minun Tag-Team Chance: 23%
It could happen, since Plusle and Minun are frequently paired up together. However, whether or not they'll make a cheer squad assist or tag-team is uncertain.
Want: 63%
An interesting concept. Wouldn't mind to see it happen in playable form.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Sceptile chances: 38%
Blaziken being semi-confirmed may hurt it, but we don't know if Pokkén Tournament developers will care about one single generation getting more than one fully evolved starter. Besides, Sceptile is quite possibly the most viable fully evolved Grass starter for Pokkén from a design standpoint, and one of the most viable Grass types period, though competing with the likes of Breloom, Abomasnow, or Virizion to an extent. With quick slashing and tail slamming attacks as well as special Grass powers, a moveset for Sceptile wouldn't be hard to design.

Sceptile want: 50%
I'm kind of worried about Pokkén being filled by many fighters in the "quick claws ans slashes" archetype, though Sceptile's special Grass powers like Leaf Storm or Giga Drain could possibly make up for this. For the primary user of Leaf Blade, I'd rather have Farfetch'd.

-----

Swampert chances: 36%
Swampert gets some competition from Blaziken (though on one hand it'd be awesome to have all fully evolved Hoenn starters playable), but while Sceptile seems to be the most viable playable Grass-type Pokémon, Swampert may suffer from severe competition from Greninja... okay, the fact we got both Charizard and Blaziken make this irrelevant, though Charizard and Blaziken seem to be overall the most popular fully evoled starters so maybe it's not that irrelevant. Sampert also has to compete with many Water-type Pokémon (the most common type in Pokémon), but what makes Swampert stand out from all of these is its mud-based abilities. There are a few more Pokémon specialized in mud, like Quagsire, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad or Stunfisk, but compared to Swampert, they don't stand a chance when it comes to Pokkén viability in both design and popularity.

Swampert want: 68%
I wouldn't be against this muscular bipedal fish with both physical powers and mud attacks like Mud Shot or Muddy Water, especially considering the strong connection I have with it.

-----

Mienshao chances: 12%
It's I guess a semi-popular Pokémon specialized in kung-fu. Unless there's no other Pokémon they want to pick to fill the kung-fu niche, I don't see it getting in.

Mienshao want: 40%
I like Mienshao as a Pokémon, but it is not a top pick of mine for Pokkén. I'd rather try to be more creative by giving another Pokémon a kung-fu playstyle if needed. Though on the other hand maybe we could see its hand whips be useful in a Pokémon game for once >_> (no seriously, why doesn't it learn Power Whip? If Lickitung and Goodra can, there's no excuse for Mienshao to not learn it)

-----

Terrakion chances: 21%
I think there's a decent chance of getting at least one of the four legendary musketeers from Gen V due to their unique ability to summon a giant sword from their forehead, which could possibly open a new kind of playstyle nobody else could emulate besides possibly the already semi-deconfirmed Heracross (due to being a background character) with its giant horn. Keldeo could be a strong possibility but its niche as a special Water attacker had been taken by the much cooler Suicune, and Cobalion is officially the chief of the quartet but ironically the musketeer people seem to care the least about. When it comes to moveset potential, Terrakion doesn't really pale thanks to having access to the likes of Rock Slide, Sacred Sword, Stone Edge as well as a design that makes it the perfect "charging bull" contender, though it has to compete with Tauros and Bouffalant in this category.

Terrakion want: 100%
Yes! Yes please! It's my favourite Pokémon and I was kinda sad it didn't get any sort of representation in Super Smash Bros., not even a mention in Keldeo's trophy description, and I'm hoping for it to be in Pokkén instead when it may actually be a contender to be playable. Besides, with amazing rock attacks like Rock Slide, or even Stone Edge with its badass gen VI animation, a giant Sacred Sword summoned from its forehead and charging with the likes of Take Down and Close Combat (wish it could learn Head Smash lol), it has the potential to be a very unique fighter based on brute power. Also please give its shiny form as a palette swap, because it looks that amazing.

-----

Seviper chances: 10%
Not that much of a standing-out Pokémon, but notable for its rivalry with Zangoose, and I think the developers could maybe be interested in making this rivalry from Pokédex descriptions a reality in a Pokémon game and include both as playable. With venom powers and a serpentine body, Seviper could possibly be unique, but I'm not sure if such a design is actually viable for Pokkén.

Seviper want: 35%
Not that much interested, but I give it the benefit of the doubt.

-----

Plusle and Minun tag team chances: 11.5%
Two very iconic Pikaclones reputed for always fighting in a duo, if there's any tag team in Pokkén it's probably going to be them. But we don't know if Pokkén developers are willing to make a tag team of more than one Pokémon as one part of the roster. I think guessing these may be hard...

Plusle and Minun tag team want: 25%
Eh, I don't know what to think about this idea, but at least I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

-----

Nominating: Magikarp x2; Abomasnow; Galvantula; Xerneas

@ Delzethin Delzethin where did you see that Zangoose was confirmed as a background character? Bulbapedia's page about Pokkén Tournament doesn't mention Zangoose. Also I'll help you nominating Galvantula, who seems to be particularly interesting when I think about it.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
But why would they restrict themselves to only one mon based on a martial art?

...And why would they restrict themselves to one Fighting type from Gen 5? While they might be encouraged to look elsewhere, why would be it a hard rule?
If we were to assume the initial roster is truly going to be small as many are predicting, then you can see why they would be restricted to one Pokemon based on martial arts. If we are talking about DLC, then I can see Mienshao having a better chance where different martial arts can be represented.

And while restricting themselves to one Fighting type from generation V was a bad prediction on my part, I was initially looking at the assumption of how there are a huge variety of fighting types amongst all generations that could also be unique in what they do and how a lot of fighting types from generation V would have to compete with them because they aren't some of the most popular, while there are a lot more noteworthy and interesting Pokemon that are not fighting types from generation V.

With Mienshao's situation, I just have a hard time seeing her get in because to me, it isn't one of those noteworthy Fighting types, even if it could be unique. The same applies with Condeldurr, Throh, and Sawk. While they all would be very unique, I also have a hard time imagining them on the actual Pokken Roster despite having unique movesets because they are also not as noteworthy or popular as the Musketeer Quartet. This is similar to an argument you could make for Pokemon like Kecleon. I mean, sure Kecleon would have a very unique moveset, but how likely do you think Kecleon is likely to join the roster at this point? Not too likely for reasons we provided yesterday. Same with a Pokemon like Slurpluff or Aromamitisse. True both could have interesting movesets from other fighters in the roster, but how likely are their inclusions in the midst of other Fairy types (aside from Gardevoir, though she seems to focus more on Psychic attacks)? Probably not as likely either.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sceptile
I will start off by saying I'm not sure I agree with the starter type balance idea. Considering that we already got Charizard and Blaziken seems to be on the way, we're getting two fire types without any indication of the other two, so I'm not sure the starter group is really going to be "repped" in the same way. They're probably focusing more on fan favorites/notable candidates then they are with adequately repping the group, and I could see that mentality be carried into the final roster if none of the potentials for those starter types appeal to them. However, with all of that said, Sceptile isn't lacking in those regards and has its reasons to be considered. It's not Blaziken or Greninja popular, but it still has a strong fanbase to it that loves it nonetheless. It's also pretty notable for its appearances such as Ash's in the anime. So it's not lagging behind in those areas at all, and either them or its potential in moveset could win it favor in getting into the game.

I could see a raptor-like moveset for this guy, which as a Jurassic Park fan, would be nice to see. Add in its blade abilities, natural moveset and the like and you have an interesting fighter in the making.

Swampert
Of the three Hoenn Starters, it's probably the least likely I'd say. It's not as strong a candidate as the other two, and considering how limited the roster seems to be at the moment, I don't think it'll be given too much precedence here.

I'm not really that interested in it, though a bulky water fighter could be done well if handled right.

Mienshao
It's a pretty neat Pokémon, but there are many other Pokémon that make a stronger case for themselves in popularity, notability and other factors.

Kung-fu fighting is a classic, but I'm not as interested in seeing it in this game.

Terrakion
If they're going to pick from the Swords of Justice, it's one of two that I would put my stock in. Terrakion is the one that seems to be the more popular of the main trio, and considering Suicune and Charizard, it's entirely possible for it to strike out away from them. Pokémon has shown time and time again it only plays into the group mentality as long as it's tied to a lore, and once you get popularity and marketability factored it, it will go out the window for breakout roles on their own. To some extent, it even already happened with Conquest as it was tied to a notable character whereas the other two (and Keldeo, but it came out before the movie) were nowhere to be found. So this could be Terrakion's big chance to continue to do so for the trio, it has the popularity to do it, and as mentioned before, it's potential due to its sword moveset and bull-like abilities would make it stand out. So I think it has the biggest chance to join the roster of the three, though it still may have to contend with Keldeo.

I like this guy, he'd basically be a brutish Suicune with less reliance on projectiles and more on bull and sword fighting, that would be a fun counterpart to the legendary beast.

Seviper
Doesn't really stand out that much, it does have its classic rivalry with Zangoose, but I don't think that will be enough to win it favor, especially since it seems Zangoose was found in one of the stages (Chrom Town based on the Charizard vs. Weavile footage).

Not really that interested, there are other snake-like Pokémon that I'd enjoy seeing a bit more.

Plusle and Minum
They're notable, but they never really caught on to the same extent as say, Blaziken. Their mechanic is something that could be of interest, but I'm not sure how that'd work in this game and it could be too complicated. So it's dependent on if they want to make a tag-team moveset, and if it can work within the realms and limitations of the game.

Want: 5%
I can't say I'm fond of these two, moveset potential-wise, I find them boring even considering the potential tag mechanic since they're extremely similar to Pikachu, and as characters themselves they never caught on with me. So they're two Pokémon that I could do without.

Galvantula x1
Tyrantrum x1
Blastoise x1
Luxray x2

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Sceptile chances: 54.30%
Sceptile want: 67.50%

Swampert chances: 41.10%
Swampert want: 69.90%

Mienshao chances: 27.50%
Mienshao want: 31.90%

Terrakion chances: 31.80%
Terrakion want: 45.50%

Seviper chances: 15.20%
Seviper want: 31.00%

Plusle & Minun tag team chances: 9.30%
Plusle & Minun tag team want: 25.30%

Look how the remaining fully evolved Hoenn starters completely stomped the other Pokémon rated today in both chances and want! Today we'll be rating Luxray, Koffing, Typhlosion, Abomasnow, Porygon-Z and Meloetta. Please rate them in chances and want. (Sorry Magikarp and Darkrai, but random.org didn't choose you, but I suppose you'll get your chance another day.) Also don't forget to nominate more Pokémon to rate in the upcoming days! Note that we're about half-way through this game, as Pokkén officially releases on Japanese arcade machines July 16th.

I'm going to rate and nominate later. Also, since we've rated more than 30 different Pokémon, I'm going to add a top 10 chances and want pic in the OP.

Last edited:
Luxray
Chance: 40% (Fairly popular Gen 4 Pokemon, but Ampharos is more likely choice for second Electric type)

Koffing
Chance: 0% (This thing has no arms or legs, how on earth would it work?)

Typhlosion
Chance: 20% (we already have at least one, possibly two Fire starters. I doubt we're going to get third one)

Abomasnow
Chance: 35% (He has a Mega, but we already have an Ice type, who is also from Gen 4)

Porygon-Z
Chance: 0% (Well, since innocent Porygon family was framed for causing seizures to make company's favorite look innocent, I doubt this poor guy would get in)
REAL Chance: 30% We don't have a Normal type, but there are more popular choices)

Meloetta
Chance: 20% (We have more popular Psychic legendary)

Nominations: Darkrai 2x, Torterra, Chesnaught, Aegislash

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Luxray

We have a quadruped, and we have an electric type, but no quadrupedal electric types! Thing is...Luxray may not be all that unique compared to other electric types...Electivire is pretty much made for this game, Ampharos is probably one fo the more notable electric types besides the mascot himself, and even Eelectross can be worked into a fighter as well, and he`s got more to work with than his electric brethren...Luxray`s got some popularity though I'll give him that

----

Koffing
Chance: 0.1%

wha...seriously? This guy was lucky to get into Smash Run let alone become a playable fighter in the main roster...pretty much smog and tackle the whole time, that's Koffing's moveset...oh and Sludge, then he'll probably explode...and now the match is over...When it comes to poison types give someone like Nidoking, Drapion or Toxicroak, whereas Koffing would probably find itself chilling int he background somewhere...

----

Typhlosion

We've got two fire types (kinda) already in the game and both of them are starters to boot...So things are already looking down on the oversized...badger..hedgehog...bear...thing...As for other possible pokemon that could compete for a possible third fire type slot...Magmar, Darmanitan, Infernape, Delphox, Emboar....yeah it's not looking too good, but Typlhosion is easily one of the most popular fire types that isn't featured in teh game currently...so there's that...
Admittedly Typhlosion is probably my favorutie starter overall...so it would be neat to see him featured in the game...

----

Barak Obamasnow

We've got an ice type, but no grass type, Obama here can dish out those blizzards in addition to some Wood Hammers that could make it quite a formidable fighter...Plus it's got it's mega form as well...However one of Obamasnow's biggest obstacles is the roster size...even if the roster were to be around 40 characters large, I still see him getting passed up for other pokemon...poor little Barak Obamasnow...

:troll:

----

Porygon-Z

Well this thing would make a rather unorthodox fighter, the Porygon line would be fairly odd to see in a fighting game environment, but they got quite a bit to work with they are primarily special attackers with a decent amount of bulk so we could be looking at another defensive spacer like Gardevoir. There's also the current lack of Normal types and perhaps Conversion could be implemented to make some of it's attacks stronger or weaker depending on the situation.

----

Meloetta

Unova's Jigglypuff, She's got an alternate form which features the fighting type as well as an arsenal of songs and melodies that can inflict status effects on her foes...I'm not a huge fan myself, tbh I still have a hard time actually seeing her as a Pokemon considering how human like it looks and acts in the anime, but hey...I feel like Gardevoir pretty much buffers her chances though being another defensive special attacker...

----

Nominations:
Tyrantrum x2
Hariyama x1
Heracross x1
Quagsire x1

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Luxray
Chance - 10%
Want - 30%
There are far better options for electric types in the game, as already stated. We have Ampharos, Electivire, and let's not forget everyone's favorite, Rotom. As for want, I'd prefer Manectric as a quadpedal electric type. Also, Luxray should have been Electric/Dark, but no, they made him pure electric.

Koffing
Chance - 1%
Want - 1%
...Um...why wouldn't they choose Weezing rather than Koffing (unless he's already background/assist)? Well, I suppose Koffing can do... things? But err... let's keep looking for poison types. Like Crogunk/Toxicroak.

Typhlosion [AKA third or fourth fire starter]
Chance - 10%
Want - 20%
I wouldn't so much mind Typhlosion if we didn't already have other fire starters. As it is, Typhlosion seems to be the most basic of Fire starters final evolutions, with only a fire typing. Due to this, he's rather bland, and I'd prefer other choices before him (except for Emboar, I'd gladly take Typlosion before Emboar).

Abomasnow [Insert presidential jokes here]
Chance - 20%
Want - 50%
This... could work. Yeah, we already have Weavile, but Abomasnow could play much differently than Weavile (I mean, come on, Weavile uses claws. Do Abomasnow have claws?). He also could use grass attacks as well, but at that, he's not my prefered grass type.

Porygon-Z
Chance - 10% [Pokemon avoids this guy and his family like the plague]
Want - 70%
I've always felt bad for the Porygon family. Pikachu causes multiple seizures to kids watching the show and who's left to take the blame? None other than poor Porygon. This, and many other things, has caused me to Somewhat hate Pikachu, that and the attention he get's for not even being that good a Pokemon, he's an attention *****. Err. sorry, I got off topic. I definitely would love for Game Freak to show more love to this guy and his evolved brethren, so why not let him take a shot?

Meloetta
Chance - 20%
Want - 10%
Ugh, Meloetta. Legendary Jigglypuff wannabe. I suppose I really have nothing against Meloetta, save for it being one of the Gen 5 legendary Pokemon I missed (which is probably my fault), but if we were to get a singing Pokemon added to the roster, Jigglypuff first in my opinion. Than this poser can come in all it wants.

Nominations
Slowbro X1
Marowak X1
Wobbuffet X1
Pinsir X1
Arbok X1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Luxray chances: 23%
Luxray is a decently popular Pokémon with unique characteristics which makes it a viable contender, such as a quadrupedal lion-like body, many bite attacks and most importantly a rare niche of physical electric moves, though it may compete for this niche with the likes of Electivire, Zekrom, heck even Pikachu to an extent.

Luxray want: 55%
Not exactly excited about it, but at least Luxray has enough interesting abilities to catch my attention.

-----

Koffing chances: 0.8%
Its moveset potential includes headbutts, toxic gases and poison sludges, as well as exploding... well, I think that this Pokémon's design is not Pokkén friendly at all. It gets some popularity from the anime though, due to being assimilated with Team Rocket, so I guess it count for something. It's also the mascot of Smogon (which is literally Koffing's German name), but I suppose that doesn't mean much ahah.

Koffing want: 15%
I guess it could be particularly unique if handled well, so at least I'll give it the benefit of the doubt rather than an abysmal want score.

-----

Typhlosion chances: 15%
We already have two Fire-type fully evolved starters who are much more popular, and Typhlosion is admittedly... kind of basic as a Fire-type.

Typhlosion want: 60%
Eruption alone makes it worth a decent want score from me.

-----

Abomasnow chances: 58%
Abomasnow may not be among the most popular Pokémon, but Ice-types admittedly often get shafted when it comes to popularity, and Abomasnow is surprisingly popular among these. Its unique double typing and its Mega Evolution makes it a standing-out potential candidate, and there's no doubt having both Ice and Grass attacks would make it unique as a fighter. Competition would most likely come from Frosslass, another decently popular Ice-type which would probably use Ice attacks in a similar way. Suicune also use some Ice attacks to an extent, but not enough to be as dedicated as Abomasnow when it comes to using them.

Also noticed how Abomasnow is the only non-legendary gen IV Pokémon to be a Poké Ball summon in Super Smash Bros. 4?

Abomasnow want: 100%
Yes please! It is among my favourite Pokémon and my primary choice for an Ice user. How it uses Blizzard and Ice Punch in Super Smash Bros. as an assist really makes me think that it would work greatly in Pokkén, with Ice attacks such as Blizzard, Ice Punch, Ice Shard or Snow Warning as its main approach options, and with powerful Grass Knots and Wood Hammers for close combat. Also Sheer Cold would be so awesome as a finisher move!

-----

Porygon-Z chances: 8%
It could be unique with a sheer special movepool with moves like Thunderbolt or Tri Attack, but seems like an unorthodox choice, especially from a design standpoint.

Porygon-Z want: 46%
It looks like it could have a funny moveset, but I'm not too excited.

-----

Hatsune Miku Meloetta chances: 17%
Doesn't stand out much compared to other legendaries, and there is a fierce competition when it comes to sound attackers like Jigglypuff, Exploud or Noivern. It could fill the niche of a stance changer fighter, though competes for this with the likes of Aegislash or even Darmanitan to an extent.

Meloetta want: 40%
Eh, mostly indifferent, not too excited about it.

-----

Nominating: Magikarp x2; Dragonite; Galvantula; Xerneas

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman

Our one true king of the mountains of Sinnoh. If we get another quadruped, he could be an interesting option, having strong jaws to bite and grab, a tail to flail and paws to slash, he will be diferent to Suicune and its beam focused moveset.

Chance: 0%

Maybe as an Assist... 1 use of selfdestruct for heavy damage

Fire Spin, Fire Wheel, Roll Out, quick Attack! it could be a really cool moveset, with indirect damage and armored hits, but with Charizard and eventually Blaziken, another fire starter is less "representative"(?)

The Abominable Snowpokemon... hard hitter, wheater changer, slow as a rooted tree but strong as a Blizzard... but with weavile and Suicune, they cover a lot of the Ice spectrum, he maybe has a chance being a powerfull assist...

Our very Digital Monster is one of the most powerfull Normal type pokémon, with TriAttack, Lock On, and a lot of Beams, could be a literal Glass Canon, and they could give it Teleport, Recover and Conversion to make him a pain to deal with.

With her ability to change forms, she could have a Sound based moveset and a Dance one... and that's all for her =/

Nominations:
Sandslash
Golduck
Floatsel
Vespiquen
Ampharos

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

Luxray

Chance: 27.5%
Only one Electric type to speak of so far, so there's a plausible chance of there being at least one more. Furthermore, a physical-leaning one would contrast Pikachu more than one that'd also focus on long range elemental attacks. Luxray would fulfill both of those...yet, Luxray is also rather lacking in reputation, and there's some stiff competiton, notably from Electivire and Ampharos.

I've always liked Luxray's design (while being disappointed in how narrow their movepool is -_-), so I'd be all for a playable one.

Electric/Dark Mega Luxray when

Koffing

Chance: 2%
Okay, so we haven't seen a Poison type yet, but Koffing? Not only is the floating gas mine an unconventional pick, with so many others that share its affinity that'd work better, Koffing might not even work in the context of Pokkén! There're only so many things it can do with no limbs to speak of and poisonous attacks limited to spewing gas and blowing up!

Even if they wanted an exploding assist mon, they'd probably go for Electrode instead!

Yeah, I can't say I'm for this idea at all.

Typhlosion

Chance: 17.5%

Another Fire starter who has a lot of stiff competition. We don't even know if there's room for a third Fire type, and if there is, you figure they'd probably focus more on ones that'd stand out from the two we already have. Typhlosion is...rather unremarkable in that regard, which really kills its chances.

And not just because I'm more interested in Delphox. Typhlosion's powerset just seems kind of basic, and there're so many other mons out there who can do so many more interesting things.

Abomasnow

The hunt for the elusive Grass type fighter continues, and I figure Abomasnow is worth mentioning alongside the likes of Sceptile, Breloom, Virizion, et al. An interesting blend of physical blows and wintery powers could be really interesting, but with an Ice type and a character who might as well be part Ice already on the roster, would they have looked elsewhere instead?

I've always thought Abomasnow was cool looking and could do some interesting stuff, despite how mediocre they are in the games.

Porygon-Z

This one's...kind of tough to call. On its own, Porygon-Z isn't very remarkable beyond its in-universe origins and the novelty of being a rare Special-based Normal type. How likely it'd be in Pokkén hinders on how deep they're willing to dig in its movepool for attacks and how much they'd rely on gimmicks based on its abilities.

...And considering the answers we've seen for both questions so far have been "not much", I can't say I'm very confident.

Meh. On one hand, it could turn out interesting, but it's pretty low on my list.

Meloetta

Chance: 22.5%
Another rare Normal type with an elemental lean, the goddess of performing arts may yet grace the battlefield since Suicune already is. I can't put much confidence in her, though, considering she's lower down among legendaries, though a moveset based around sound attacks and perhaps a transformation mechanic could help her out.

A music-based character would be cool, but I guess I'm caught up in a few too many other mons who'd be even cooler.

Nominations:

Samurott x2!
Galvantula
Chesnaught
Xerneas

By the way, what are Heracross and Ursaring doing in the nominations list? They've showed up in stage backgrounds already...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I expected I'd see low scores for Koffing. Oh well - it was a bit of a long shot for a playable character anyways. I'll rate Koffing first and do the other Pokémon a bit later today.

Chance: 2%
It'd be better off as an assist Pokémon if it were to get in (which is very unlikely), but there is some potential to it, albeit fairly small. It mightn't be the first choice for a Poison type as well, since there are so many other Poison types that have more potential, such as Croagunk or Toxicroak.

Admittedly, Koffing is a favourite of mine (Since I share the same name as James of Team Rocket and being fond of Poison types back in the early days), but if it weren't playable, that's fine by me as well. I'm not going to be too disappointed if it weren't in the game at all, but an Assist would satisfy me as well.

(Now updated)
Luxray
Chance: 23%

Want: 56% Could be interesting, but I'm neutral until confirmation

Abomasnow Chance: 45%
Having a towering build and power for an Ice type alongside a Mega Evolution, they could use it as some sort of ice powerhouse in this game as an opposite to the speedy Weaville.

I'd be happy with it being included in the game.

Meloetta Chance: 62%

Want: 67% If they were to make use of Meloetta's Aria and Pirouette Formes, I can see them making Meloetta a unique 'stance-based' Pokémon. I wouldn't mind it being playable.

Typhlosion Chance: 36% I doubt Typhlosion has the same popularity as other Fire type Starters like Charizard or Blaziken,

Want: 48%
Neutral until confirmation.
Porygon-Z Chance: 9% - With the controversy of that infamous Porygon episode, I doubt they'd take a risk of bringing in a member of the Porygon evolution line
Want: 24%
Not all that interested in Porygon-Z for Pokkén.

Nominations: Sylveon X1 Deoxys X2 Croagunk X1

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Luxray

Luxray is a fairly popular Electric-type Pokemon from generation IV, and it could work well as a Quadruped Lightning attacker mixed with some tackling and fang-based attacks. Outside of that, I fear that Luxray will be dismissed in favor of Pikachu being the Electric attacker in this game, and Luxray also has to compete with other Electric Pokemon who also have unique potential and are arguably more popular such as Electivire (a much more iconic from Generation IV) and Ampharos.

I definitely would be happy seeing Luxray make it in. It's a favorite of mine from generation IV, and I wish it had some better potential in the games.

Koffing

Though it gained some recognition from the anime, Koffing is just one of those Pokemon that doesn't to be fit for a fighter in Pokken. I mean, sure it could attack with poisonous smoke and self-destruct, but I don't think this concept could really work in Pokken. Additionally, Koffing doesn't have the status of Pikachu as the pre-evolution being more recognized than its final evolution, so Weezing would be the more likely candidate of the evolution line. There's a lot more popular Poison types that would have also unique moveset that could be far more workable for a Pokken moveset, such as Nidoking, Arbok, Seviper, Toxicroak, etc. To me, Koffing seems more fit to be an Assist Pokemon than a fighter, especially since the self-destruct concept would work much better here.

Simply put, He's definitely not a Poison-type I want to see in the Pokken roster compared to Pokemon like Toxicroak or Arbok.

Typhlosion

Being another popular final evolution generation II starter, Typhlosion definitely as some things going for him. Aside from a degree of popularity, he could be rather interesting by attacking with Flamethrowers and Fiery tackles, along with some scratching here and there. Charizard, however, severely hurts his chances at this point since it can be viewed as the Fire attacker on the Pokken roster. It also attacks very much like Typhlosion does, with Fiery Breaths, Flame tackling, and scratching. With Blaziken potentially on the way as well, the developers might be wanting to stay away from adding more final evolution Fire starters, especially if that Fire starter would attack in very similar ways.

I like Feraligatr more than Typhlosion to be honest, and if were to see another final evolution Fire starter get into the roster, I prefer Delphox getting in over him because she would be a lot more unique.

Abomasnow

Out of a lot of Ice-types, Abomasnow is one of the more popular ones. It also got a Mega Evolution in X and Y, and that could easily be incorporated into its Burst Attack. It can also be a rather interesting fighter that could attack by summoning harsh Blizzards to act as a distance fighter, while it could also attack up close with attacks like Ice Punch and Wood Hammer. Sadly, Abomasnow might get dismissed thanks to Suicune and Weavile on the roster already. Many of Suicune's attacks use various Ice elements, and Weavile is a much more popular Ice type from the 4th generation. That aside, Abomasnow would also have to compete with a number of Ice-types that could also have more unique movesets and might be more popular than it, such as Mamoswine or Froslass.

Abomasnow could be interesting considering it has the ability to summon Blizzards, but it isn't the Ice-type I want to see join the roster the most. I would prefer seeing Mamoswine and Froslass get in over him.

Porygon-Z

One of the very few special-attacking Normal types in the Pokemon franchise, Porygon-Z could be a very interesting Pokemon using attacks like Tri-Attack and Hyper Beam, along with some digital inspired attacks. It could even use Conversion for even more interesting possibilities. Only problem is that its basic stage, Porygon, has been framed with infamy for causing seizures in Japan, and with that status having carried over to its evolution to the point neither Porygon 2 or Porygon-Z have been featured in the anime since (aside from minor cameos), I fear Porygon-Z will be dismissed because of that. Porygon-Z also has to compete with plenty of other Normal types who would also have unique moveset potential and could be more popular than it.

I love Porygon-Z's design, and a special attacking Normal type sounds rather appealing, but it isn't at the top of my Pokken wishlist.

Meloetta

Meloetta could be an interesting fighter on the Pokken roster thanks to its voice-based attacks like Hyper Voice combined with special-based Psychic attacks. At the same time, it could also transform into its Pirouette Form during battle; when it does so, it could be an interesting Fighting-type attacker where it could attack through dance-like moves and change back into it's Aria Forme through Relic Song. However, Meloetta isn't one of the most iconic legendaries out there, and she is one of those Pokemon that looks a bit more fit to be an Assist Pokemon than a fighter (at least going off what happened to Jirachi). For a sound-based fighter, she has some serious competion with Pokemon like Exploud, Noivern, and Wigglytuff. Amongst her competition, however, she at least has the status of being a 5th generation Pokemon, something we are yet to see on the Pokken roster.

Meloetta is my favorite Pokemon from the 5th generation, and I would be quite happy if she got into the roster. I definitely think a moveset revolving around singing and dancing, along with the ability to switch between formes during battle, would make her a very unique fighter. Alas, her chances aren't that strong, but seeing her get in as an Assist Pokemon would also make me happy.

Nominations:

Salamence: x2
Empoleon: x1
Electivire: x1

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Luxray
To begin, it does have some notability in the franchise due to the XY anime and Mystery Dungeon Sky using its pre-evolution as a starter, and it's a fairly popular Pokémon in its own right, amounting a fanbase around it. Additionally, it also has a good amount of potential in a moveset due to be a quadrupled electric type physical fighter, so it also has an interesting style that could be used for the game.

However, there are some problems for this guy. It is fairly popular, but there are more popular Pokémon, it is decently notable, but there are much more notable Pokémon. Even moveset-wise, it has some issues as others can theoretically take the role and can have better movepools to boot (seriously, why do the lions have such shallow movepools?). So while it has a good case for itself, it does have stiff competition to stand out, and that can be troublesome when the roster looks to be as limited as it is. It still has a

I love this lion, even though I do admit it has flaws, it was one Pokémon I've always enjoyed using. In terms of this game, while I will admit there are other physical fighters that could fit the mold with a better movepool, this guy I still feel will have some tricks up its sleeve to keep it a very interesting fighter. So I'd like to see this Pokémon become playable.

Also, I'm probably an oddball, but I'm not fond of Electric/Dark on it. Personality-wise, it doesn't fit the typical mold of the typing, and competitive-wise, it actually arguably makes it worse as it gains more flaws then strengths out of it.

Koffing
Chance: 1%
I really doubt this Pokémon would be playable. It lacks in most areas that would be considered for this game such as popularity and (to an extent), notability. It was used under James, but even then its evolved form was the most used between the two and probably the most notable, so if any of the line were to be used, it'd probably be Weezing. So I'm not seeing the best case for this guy, I feel there are other Pokémon that would be chosen over it.

I would prefer other Pokémon personally.

Typhlosion
On paper, he has a decent case, the most popular of the Johto starters, some notability since the Raikou special used him (though not to the extent of other starters), and has a decent moveset potential in its own right due to the volcano motif. The problem is that we already have two different fire types on it already, and while this in and of itself isn't too much of an issue, the roster is very limited and there are other choices that would add much more. Additionally, its movepool, while interesting due to the motif, doesn't give it too much to stand out from the other two as it's a pure Fire type with a rather lackluster movepool. So while it's a good candidate in its own right, there are other Pokémon that bring more to the table then it in all other areas, and I could see it being overlooked for those candidates.

I prefer Feraligatr.

Abomasnow
One of the more popular Pokémon, and it has a Mega to it, so that's already a nice boon off of the bat. Plus, it has traits that most other Pokémon can't do due to its physically bulky nature, so it could work as the "Mighty Glacier" to Weavile's "Fragile Speedster" in a sense. It does have some problems that could hinder it, but it's definitely one of the few ices I could see being added in.

I'm in the middle with him.

Porygon-Z
Really, I feel so bad for this line. It gets saddled with an incident it didn't commit, and thus was completely banned from the anime because of it. Due to that, even most western fans haven't gotten to experience it through the anime, and since that media is one of the biggest ways to promote a Pokémon, that's a huge hindrance. It also doesn't help that it's not really used that much in specific roles whether in the main games or in spinoffs, so outside of being a rare capture and line to obtain, you don't see much of it. So it's really held back by its lack of notability. Moveset-wise, it's pretty interesting though and something could be made out of its glitch-like nature to make it a fun Pokémon in its own right, so that could give it some leeway here despite its flaws in the other areas.

I'm not as fond of the line, but I am curious to see what they would pull off with it.

Meloetta
I actually forgot about her when I was thinking about Fighting type legendaries. She's popular and at least has a few anime episodes and the special under her belt, but I feel that there are other Pokémon that have better cases then her.

I will admit, a singer/dance fighter would be a great moveset to have.

Blastoise x1
Tyrantrum x1
Salamence x1
Galvantula x1
Chesnaught x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Luxray chances: 26.50%
Luxray want: 60.33%

Koffing chances: 1.32%
Koffing want: 11.78%

Typhlosion chances: 22.06%
Typhlosion want: 42.56%

Abomasnow chances: 32.00%
Abomasnow want: 58.89%

Porygon-Z chances: 17.44%
Porygon-Z want: 53.33%

Meloetta: 27.94%
Meloetta: 43.56%

Looks like today's Pokémon weren't that popular; nobody managed to break the 65% want barrier. Though this time generation IV ruled in want compared to the other gens. Today we will be rating Magikarp, Darkrai, Tyrantrum, Xerneas, Wobbuffet and Chesnaught (once again thanks random.org for the tie breaker among Pokémon with 7 nominations). Please rate these Pokémon in chances and want, and don't forget to nominate more Pokémon to rate as well!

I'm going to rate and nominate later.

Last edited:
Magikarp
Chance: 15% (he would be a good joke character... although I'm not sure would he work in Pokken, and Gyarados is more popular but also too big)
Want: 100% (YES! YES!)

Darkrai
Chance: 40% (one of the most popular legendaries, and we have only Suicune currently, with Mewtwo likely getting in as well)

Tyrantrum
Chance: 35% (He's one of the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon, and we don't have a fossil Pokemon yet, but size could be an issue)
Want: 100% (He was on my team in Pokemon Y)

Xerneas
Chance: 20% (I guess he's popular, but it would be weird to have Xerneas without Yveltal)
Want: 5% (I had Pokemon Y, so I prefer Yveltal)

Wobbuffet
Chance: 15% (He could be a character focusing primarily on countering moves... but we already have Gardevoir as Psychic type, and Wobbuffet still has to compete with Mewtwo, Alakazam and Gallade)
Want: 0% (Like I said, he would probably focus on countering moves, and I hate countering moves)

Chesnaught
Chance: 40% (He has to compete with Serperior and Sceptile, but I still see him more likely than Delphox)
Want: 100% (My starter in Pokemon Y)

Nominations: Arbok 2x, Torterra, Aegislash, Pinsir

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Magikarp
Chance: 100%

HE'S GONNA SPLASH ALL OVER EVRBDY!!!TOP TIER CONFIRMED!!!!

Chance: 0.1%

Ok, but seriously...Magikarp would likely become a background pokemon at most since it is regarded as the most useless pokemon in existence...I mean just look at it...floppijng around gasping like a, well a fish out of water...One thing I highly doubt we are gonna get is a fish fighter because their bodies just don't work for a fighting game...But then again this is Pokemon we are talking about so we may see some sploshing on the battlefield...

----

Darkrai

He's anotehr dark type, but unlike Weavile, he's primarily a special powerhouse, that could possibly use several statusing attacsk to put his foes to sleep and possibly deal hefty damage while they are vulnerable. I feel like we won't get too many legendaries and Mewtwo seems to be the primary candidate for the next legendary after Suicune...Darkrai does however have a decent amount of popularity thatnks to the movie...

----

Tyrantrum
Want: 95%

Who doesn't want a giant T-Rex dinosaur? Of course as a dragon type and a Rock type he's got a lot of competition, but since the current roster is lacking both at the moment it could give him a slight boost. Not to mention an almost exclusive biting moveset with the occasional headbutt and tail thrash, as well as Earthquake and Stone Edge to add some distance to his attacks, he'd hardly ever use his stubby T-Rex arms unless he manages to get in close enough for a Dragon Claw, but why bother with those massive chompers that would be a lot easier to attack with! Tyrantrum could exhibit himself to be a powerful fighter, and a powerful prehistoric Head Smash as his super attack!

----

Xerneas

The stag of life may have something to offer for the playable roster...With a large array of Fairy type attacks and probably a geomancy power-up in battle this could be a force to be reckoned with...however Xerneas is one of those Uber-powerful legendaries that would probably work well as a boss so as not to overthrow the game's balance...

----

Wobbuffet

One of the issues with Wobbuffet is the fact that they don't attack...they always Counterattack...wait for their foe to make a move and use counter or mirror coat to send it back at them...This one has Assist written all over it...As a playable fighter, I mean I guess it could work but not so well, especially since we got Gardevoir already being a defensive Psychic type currently in the game...

----

Chesnaught

this oversized Chesnut may very well be one of the frontrunners for Pokken's grass typs by=ut fellow starters Sceptile and Serperior as well as fellow grass/fighting type Breloom serve as some pretty big obstacels for him to overcome. The use of his signature move Spiky Sheild could be implemeted into his moveset along with powerful projectiles attacks, Seed Bomb and Pin Missles, this guy could function similarily to a frikkin tank, focusing on defensive play and stationary offense, and this doesn't even include his up close power with his great backl spikes and hammer arm...

----

Nominations:
Heracross x2
Dragonite x1
Hariyama x1
Quagsire x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I remember I promised myself to not nominate Magikarp in the RTC DLC thread after having nominated it in the original RTC (then its day happened just after the ESRB leak...) I still hold my word for RTC DLC wasn't Tetrimino enough? but for this edition of RTC I allowed myself to nominate it once again xD

Magikarp chances: 1.2%
The infamous and kind of popular weak Water-type Pokémon who is usually used as a joke of a Pokémon and could potentially take this role once again as a fighter in Pokkén. But considering its admittedly poor movepool, its best if not only hope is to fill that niche of the ultimate joke character... though I guess finding a way to make Splash useful for once could make it unique? And powerful Flail attacks maybe?

Magikarp want: 75%
I used to kind of want Magikarp in Super Smash Bros. just for the hilarious factor but I've realized that Jigglypuff already fills the niche of a "joke" Pokémon with an hilarious moveset with Sing, multiple jumps and instant KO when its shield breaks, so Magikarp in Smash would actually be kind of stale when you think about it. That said, in a fighting game where all the fighters are Pokémon, Magikarp seems to be the best option for an "hilarious" character, and thanks to its unorthodox body shape could actually be kind of unique and maybe make Splash useful as a fighting technique for once? xD

-----

Darkrai chances: 43%
A more than decently popular Dark-type legendary Pokémon whose design fits Pokkén very well and with unique powers to boot. It is one of the few potential user of Dark-type special moves, and most likely the best candidate for a user of Dark special moves over physical slashes. Thanks to Dark Void and Bad Dream, Darkrai is also the prime candidate for using sleep as one of its main offensive and defensive tools.

Darkrai want: 75%
Seems interesting, at least refreshing compared to those physical, mostly slash and claw Dark-type users, and I suppose it'd be cool to have a dedicated user of Dark magic with moves like Ominous Wind, Dark Pulse, Feint Attack and obviously Dark Void. Only concern is a potential lack of diversity besides "darkness and darkness all over again" but I guess Darkrai could be unique enough with these to not feel too stale.

-----

Tyrantrum chances: 36%
Thanks to its unique typing combination and high popularity among fossil Pokémon, Tyrantrum is not a Pokémon to neglect as a decent contender. With extremely powerful jaw attacks, rock powers like Stone Edge, and the more occasional physical Dragon moves like Dragon Claw and Tail for melee range, Tyrantrum has enough tools to be unique especially thanks to its design that perfectly fulfills the niche of a T. Rex fighter. Though maybe its design may not be perfectly suited for this game, but I'd say that's not much of an issue.

Tyrantrum want: 65%
A T. Rex fighter would be really cool, and its abilities would make it a interesting fighter.

-----

Xerneas chances: 22%
The version mascot of Pokémon X, not exactly one of the most popular Über legendaries but not unpopular either, Xerneas has a lot of tools at its disposal that would make it an interesting fighters. It has a lot of melee attacks like Close Combat, Night Slash, as well as the inevitable Megahorn and Horn Leech considering its fabulous rainbow horns, as well as a powerful projectile known as Moonblast. Geomancy could also be a perfect boosting move, or most likely used for burst mode. Xerneas definitely has a varied movepool that may possibly catch the developers's interest for a fighter.

Xerneas want: 88%
I'm really interested in Xerneas' moveset potential, its melee attacks could be agile and hurt considerably, like Night Slash and Close Combat, and it could also use its horns to hurt even more, and a powerful Moonblast summoned between its horns then being launched at the opponent's face would feel awesome. A graceful quadruped with powerful horn attacks and a devastating projectile sounds really appealing to me. Also, Geomancy burst mode!

-----

Wobbuffet chances: 3%
A Pokémon with a very limited movepool and known mostly to counterattack, and who's never offensive outside of that. Unless they want to explore an unorthodox counterattacking playstyle, it's not happening.

Wobbuffet want: 5%
A Pokémon who never attacks besides counter-attacking? Sorry no, it sounds boring.

-----

Chesnaught chances: 26%
A Pokémon with a viable design for Pokkén who could very possibly be specialized in defense and have slow yet powerful attacks, and a solid choice for a fully evolved Grass-type starter with the rare move Spiky Shield, though it suffers from some fierce competition.

Chesnaught want: 38%
Could end up to be an interesting fighter, but I think there are more unique choices to fulfill its potential niches. Breloom seems to be a better bipedal Grass-type, Golurk seems better for a sluggish yet very powerful physical attacker, and I'd even rather have Ferrothorn for a defensive Grass-type. All of these seems better at filling their specific niche.

-----

Nominating: Dragonite; Deoxys x2; Galvantula; Gogoat

@XenoBrawler610 I'm waiting for your Magikarp rating :p

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Magikarp
Chance - 1%
Want - 30%
I feel that Joke characters probably won't be a thing in Pokken, it seems to take fighters more seriously (side from Pikachu). As for want, OK I guess. Just make sure he at least has bounce.

Darkrai
Chance - 30%
Want - 20%
Darkrai is fairly popular as a legendary, and among other reasons. Other reasons being Dark Void. I can already see his play style being: Put you're foe to sleep, keep you're foe asleep and give them little ways to counter attack.This makes me fairly not want Darkrai. If they can get him to work without needing to do this, then I'd be OK with him.

Tyrantrum
Chance - 15%
Want - 100%
Tyrantrum has come to rival Aerodactyl as my favorite fossil Pokemon, and is definitely a Pokemon I'd love to see in Pokken. That Strong Jaw ability would make sure that rivals like Feraligatr and Krookodile would have serious competition. Only problem he faces, is being the chosen Fossil Pokemon out of all the others.

Xerneas
Chance - 40%
Want - 40%
Almost neutral about Xerneas. I played Y version, so I have no real connection to it. That said, it and Yveltal's abilities are a bit underwhelming, only powering up Dark/Fairy type moves. So I'm a bit turned away from them, just because they feel a bit bland.

Wobbuffet
Chance - 10%
Want - 65%
In a fighting game where you'll want to do the main damage on an opponent, and Wobbuffet having no means of doing it himself, Wobbuffet has a serious problem right of the bat. However, if memory serves, Wobbuffet becomes quite vicious if you attack his tail. Perhaps that could be worked in some way. As for want, his gimmicky countering could prove cool, but it can't be the only aspect to him.

Chesnaught
Chance - 30%
Want - 50%
I'm neutral completely on Chesnaught. We do need some grass in the roster, and that Spiky Shield of his is very useful, but part of me really wants to see Breloom instead.

Nominations
Slowbro X1
Pinsir X1
Arbok X1
Marowak X1
Wigglytuff X1

Top Bottom