• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: Pokkén Edition - On a hiatus, will restart soon!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Nominations: Magnezone x5 (or whatever the total amount allowed is)
The nominations rules are described in the OP and more specifically in this post. I'd advice you for example to give two nominations to Magnezone then to nominate three other Pokémon with one single nomination each.

@ Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J you can nominate more Pokémon if you want :p as long as your nominations match the rules in the OP.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice
I wonder if it could be possible to rate Alakazam and Golem on the same day since they are the remaining OG Trade Evolutions with both Machamp and Gengar who are already in...

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I wonder if it could be possible to rate Alakazam and Golem on the same day since they are the remaining OG Trade Evolutions with both Machamp and Gengar who are already in...
This sounds like a logical move to make. Maybe I could lock them alongside the Hitmons and you can change the nominations you gave to them to someone else? And maybe we could rate one more tbd Pokémon alongside them? Though that would mean rating six Pokémon in a same day... I hope it's not too much. Maybe it could set the new standard of six Pokémon in a day in order to rate as much Pokémon as possible if successful?

I'll accept this request to lock Golem and Alakazam alongside the Hitmons, but I'm not going to accept requests for rating locks willy-nilly in the future.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This sounds like a logical move to make. Maybe I could lock them alongside the Hitmons and you can change the nominations you gave to them to someone else? And maybe we could rate one more tbd Pokémon alongside them? Though that would mean rating six Pokémon in a same day... I hope it's not too much. Maybe it could set the new standard of six Pokémon in a day in order to rate as much Pokémon as possible if successful?

I'll accept this request to lock Golem and Alakazam alongside the Hitmons, but I'm not going to accept requests for rating locks willy-nilly in the future.
Sounds good...I'll change my nominations to
Haxorus x2
Staraptor x1
:083: x1
:195: x1

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Scizor chances: 60%
Want: 90%

I think this is the most likely choice for a bug type and a second 'mon from the second generation. I'd be quite happy with this choice, though not quite one of my top picks.

Hawlucha's chances: 70%
Want: 50%

A popular choice from a currently unrepresented generation. But I'm personally indifferent to it's inclusion.

Meowth's chances: 50%
Want: 100%

Iconic and fairly popular, though Weavile might hurt it as others have already said. He's my favorite 'mon and would likely be my main if he got in.

Golurk's chances: 30%
Want: 10%

This just isn't really something I see getting picked. I personally don't care for Golurk and have little interest in seeing it being playable.

Breloom's chances: 30%
Want: 60%

Another 'mon I don't see having a really large shot, but unlike Golurk I do have a little interest in this choice.

Nominations:
Zoroark x2
Delphox x1
Bisharp x1
Garchomp x1

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Heracross is a background character?

Hawlucha Chance: 75% Want: 100%

Scizor Chance: 75% Want: 90% (with Heracross being a background character, Scizor and Scyther are two that I would love to see make the cut, but we need more variety in the generations)

Meowth Chance: 50% Want 75%

Golurk Chance and want: 50%

Breloom Chance and want: 50%

Nominations:

Absol
Alakazam
Delphox
Nidoking
Feraligatr

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Alakazam is locked for the next day though. I advice you to either replace it for another Pokémon or to give one more nomination for another of the Pokémon you nominated instead.
Absol
Nidoking
Delphox
Feraligatr
Clefable

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Scizor chances: 62.50%
Scizor want: 78.61%

Hawlucha chances: 69.14%
Hawlucha want: 84.64%

Meowth chances: 46.86%
Meowth want: 59.29%

Golurk chances: 42.64%
Golurk want: 63.71%

Breloom chances: 47.03%
Breloom want: 62.20%

Tomorrow we will be rating six Pokémon - if successful, it will become the new standard for this game in order to rate as much different Pokémon as possible. Please rate Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop, Alakazam, Golem and Delphox in chances and want. Don't forget to nominate more Pokémon, too!

I'm going to rate and nominate later.

@KenithTheGatherer I've counted your nominations as x2 for Magnezone

Last edited:
Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Hitmontop
Chance (all): 20% (It would be weird to include just one and getting all three is very unlikely)
Want (all): 10% (We already have two fighting types confimed, one is semi-confirmed and Hawlucha is also very likely, so I don't really think we need more Fighting types, despite this being a fighting game)

Alakazam
Chance: 50% (Very popular Pokemon, who also has a Mega Evolution)
Want: 50% (I wouldn't mind him :troll:)

Golem
Chance: 30% (We have four Gen 1 Pokemon, we're likely getting Mewtwo, and he isn't very popular or iconic compared to other mons. However, Pokken still lacks a Rock type)
Want: 40% (I guess he would be cool)

Delphox
Chance: 30% (She is recent, but Pokken (likely) has two Fire type starters already, and while we don't have Gen 6 Pokemon yet, Greninja, Hawlucha and arguably Sylveon are more likely picks)
Want: 20% (I don't really care about Delphox, and I prefer other two Gen 6 fully-evolved starters)

Nominations: Krookodile 2x, Seviper, Torterra, Garchomp

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan chances: 17.5%
Hitmontop chances
: 22.5%
Their design is perfectly adapted for Pokkén... but considering the Hitmons are not exactly the most popular Fighting-types and the fact it would be weird to have one without the other two, thus taking roster places for potentially more popular and/or creative Pokémon, I'm not expecting them to join the battle in Pokkén. Maybe Hitmontop could stand a chance as the only playable Hitmon thanks to being the "middle of the road" of the trio, and could potentially be unique thanks to fighting on its head like no one else could do.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan want: 10%
Hitmontop want
: 60%
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are admittedly boring choices. Sure, they represent a specific fighting style at the heart of their design, but I'd rather have their respective fighting style given to Pokémon who aren't pure Fighting-type looking like martial artists, like Blaziken or Breloom. Hitmontop on the other hand gets a higher want score due to being much more unique than the other two.

-----

Alakazam chances: 35%
A popular Pokémon who represents Psychic type better than most other Pokémon of its type, though the already confirmed Gardevoir and the likely Mewtwo are overall more popular Pokémon and represent this type just as well.

Alakazam want: 30%
Meh. I foresee too much overlap with Gardevoir and especially Mewtwo who I want more.

-----

Golem chances: 30%
A well known gen I Pokémon, but not one of the most popular ones. Besides, it would represent the Rock typing and its design promises some uniqueness.

Golem want: 81%
I've thought about it and the idea sounds awesome indeed. Powerful Rollouts and Digs, plus a design that would fit a sumo playstyle very well. Also imagine Self-Destruct as an attack... an insanely powerful move but with immense recoil in both self-damage and lag.

-----

Delphox chances: 12%
Charizard and Blaziken, two much more popular flly-evolved Fire types, already had been confirmed, and Greninja seems to be the most popular gen VI fully evolved starter anyway. Maybe it could get in if its pyrokinetic abilities catch the developers's attention?

Delphox want: 55%
Pretty indifferent, but could be unique so I don't mind it.

-----

Nominating: Farfetch'd; Magikarp; Abomasnow; Terrakion; Xerneas

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Hitmonlee
Chance: 65%
Want: 80%
The spring legged pokemon is awesome, and having Dhalsim like moves seems cool

Hitmonchan
Want: 70%
Elemental punches that cause status effects it's the way to win

Hitmontop

Chance: 60%
Want: 60
He could move like Gordo from Tekken, having a lot of combo potential.

Alakazam

Chance: 80%
A Glass canon character that doesn't even need to touch you to make you suffer.

Golem

Earthquake! Roll Out! Explosion! KO!...

Delphox

Chance: 50%
Want: 40%
The red Witch has a lot of competition in the field of Fire pokemon... she could be a powerfull assist

Noms
Staraptor x2
Nidoking
Keckleon
Porygon Z

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Hitmonlee & Hitmonchan
The original fighting duo. I don't see one getting in without the other, plus Tekken has characters that focus only in kicks and punches, so they'll know how to implement them well if they go with the idea.
Even if their fighting style might be pretty straightforward, it's still nice to have simple characters in a fighting game, plus they would be one of my top picks if I had to plan the roster.

Hitmontop
Somehow I feel they could add both Hitmonlee & Hitmonchan but not Hitmontop.
Capoeira fighting style? Please add. I imagine he would play similar to Eddy Gordo.

Alakazam
If only we had an idea of how many characters there will be... 1st gen is starting to get filled and yet there are many they can choose from it.
If Gengar is here why not Alakazam?

Delphox
Chance: 30%
Too much competition from both Fire Pokémon & starters.
Neutral about the idea.

Golem
Chances: 20%
I don't see him that likely... not sure why though
Interested in how he could play.

Nominations
Ursaring
Emboar
Heracross
Sceptile
Wobbuffet

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Hitmonlee
Chance: 45%

Hitmonchan
Want: 65%

Bruce Lee kicking and Jackie Chan Punching...Pretty much made for fighting games, and one (or two) of the reasons fans have been asking for a Pokemon fighting game since Gen 1. Heck you could easily make an entire fighter roster just using Fighting types...the problem...There are a lot of fighting types and teh game already has two, likely three already implemented, there may be a few more but seeing as we are still unsure of the actual roster size, there will indeed be a lot of cuts placed. Adding both of these guys would take up two spots (and you can't really have one without the other) that would likely be better used for other pokemon with the same niches...although this game is pretty much made for these guys to begin with...

----

Hitmontop
Chance: 75%
Want: 85%

Ok, Hitmontop just screams Gordo...
ok not that Gordo...If you look at his Kalos sprite he even shuffles the same way as Eddy Gordo...Both are known for their use of ...Kaepora Gaebora? Capybara?....Karma Sutra?............Capoeira! Brazilian martial arts based on a lot of head spinning a leg kicking...As a result of Gordo already being a Tekken character and the uniqueness of the fighting style it is likely that Hitmontop would get in the roster since he just seems to fit so well...

----

Alakazam
Want: 95%

Alakazam is pretty much teh definitive psychic type, Gardevoir is already in teh game and Mewtwo is more than likely going to be added as well. But Alakazam can still fill arole that the other don't....Alakazam has access to the elemental punches first of all, which could be implemented into the game as well as attacks such as Zen Headbutt and Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, and his Mega form is pretty much guaranteed if he's announced. Gengar and Machamp is already in the game so let's add Alakazam and...

----

Golem

Probably the least popular of the original four trade evos, but most likely because of his annoying pre-evos that no one ever wants to catch because they can't get Golem...Either way, a Rock and Ground based moveset with stone-Edge, Rollout, Earthquake, EXPLOSION! Could be a very interesting asset in a fighting game like this...

----

Delphox

We already have two fire starters in the game and if you want to include the likes of Typhlosion, Infernape, and Emboar as competition, which doesn't even count the likes of other Kalos pokemon such as Greninja, Hawlucha and Chesnaught...Delphox has a lot going against it just in that regards, as well as being initially (and wrongfully) hated upon it's reveal in X and Y. However having a witch like moveset could translate into something a bit mroe unique than all of it's competition, although Gardevoir does sort of fit a similar playstyle that delphox could have, cept with less fire...This one's pretty hard to predict...

----

Nomintations:
Haxorus x2
Staraptor x1
:083: x1
:157: x1

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hitmonlee AND Hitmonchan
Chance - 20%
Want - 10%
These guys scream boring to me. They embody only one type of fighting style. Do we really need to fill two slots on Pokken's roster just for them. We have a good amount of Fight types anyways.

Hitmontop
Chance - 40%
Want - 50%
I'm pretty indifferent to Hitmontop vs. his brethren. He can take on both punches and kicks in his moves, and his spinning technique does seem like an interesting translation. He'd be able to deal a lot of combo's on his opponents.

Alakazam
Chance - 50%
Want - 20%
Don't hate me for not wanting Alakazam, but he's kinda unoriginal considering we already have Gardivore and Mewtwo waiting in the back seat. Unless... what if he had an attack where he physically used his spoons to attack you? Fitting, because of his spoons, but not fitting because he's a special attacker...

Golem
Chance - 45%
Want - 70%
Now we're talking. We don't have such a heavy guy quite like Golem yet. I could see him rolling into you with rollout in Pokken, as well as using Explosion as a desperate move that leaves you with a sliver of health left. He'd be an addition that we haven't seen yet, and would be hard to copy.

Delphox
Chance - 10%
Want - 10%
Just... no thank you. Delphox faces many of the problems Alakazam faces for me. Also... out of all the Kalos starters, Delphox is the least fitting for the game. Don't get me wrong, Delphox is the only Fire starter that I've seen in a while that I've liked. Blaziken was cool, but he started an annoying trend. I was OK with Infernape, but Emboar... that pushed it too far. Regardless, I'm completely OK with Delphox not being in the game.

Nominations
Plusle & Minun Tag Team X1
Slowbro X1
Kecleon X1
Marowak X1
Wobbuffet X1

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan

These two Kanto fighting types are inspired from Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan respectively, so their hollywood-celebrity give them a solid chance of joining the Pokken roster (especially for Hitmonlee because we are yet to see a kicking-based Pokemon in the game). However, they are not one of the most of the recognizable Pokemon from the 1st generation in comparison to the likes of Charizard, Gengar, Pikachu, Machamp, and Mewtwo, so the other half of their chances don't look so good.

I'm pretty split for this one. They would definitely make some very interesting fighters (especially since they are among the few Pokemon who practice a very specific form of fighting, similar to Throh and Sawk), but at the same time, there are a large variety of Pokemon that I would prefer to see get in over these two. If they do decide to include them though, then I hope both Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan will be added on the same day.

Hitmontop

Chance: 40%

Unlike its sibling, Hitmontop isn't as recognizable as Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are, and amongst all of the Pokemon from generation II, it isn't the most iconic compared to Pokemon such as Scizor, Tyranitar, Suicune, and Pichu. However, it does have a very unique style of fighting thanks to its top-like movements, so it could easily fill a slot on the roster if the developers are looking for something unique.

Another Pokemon that I am pretty split over. Much like its siblings, he would be an interesting addition to Pokken Tournament, but at the same time, he isn't among the many Pokemon in my Pokken Tournament wish list.

Alakazam

Chance: 90%

Being the most famous and popular Psychic-type Pokemon in Generation I (aside from Mewtwo and Mew), Alakazam definitely has the celebrity status to join Pokken Tournament, but 10% of me fears that that it has to go up against some serious competition with other Psychic types that have as much of a good chance as Alakazam does, such as Mewtwo, Gallade, Reuniclus, and Gothitelle to name a few.

Want: 75%

A Pokemon delivering very powerful Psychic attacks from its spoon would be very interesting, and I think it would have quite an epic attack upon Mega-Evolving for its "super-attack". Unfortunately, for a new Psychic-type fighter, he isn't the one I want to see the most; that title goes to Gallade.

Golem

Chance: 70%

He is the least recognizable of the four trade evolution from Generation I, and many fans tend to overlook him because of the fact he is the final evolved form of Geodude and Graveler, two of the most commonly found Pokemon in caves that generally tend to annoy players (not counting Zubat or Golbat). That alone hurts his chances of getting in, but for a rock fighter, he definitely has the potential to do so.

The more I think about Golem's potential, the more I wouldn't mind seeing him join the Pokken roster. He could work as another heavy/power based fighter, not to mention he could use various rock attacks that would make him stand out a lot, especially since we are yet to see a Rock-type fighter in Pokken Tournament.

Delphox

Delphox already has huge competition with Greninja and Hawlucha for the 1st Kalos-based fighter in the Pokken roster, as she isn't as popular or iconic as those two, not to mention she also has to face some competition with other Psychic-types that have a higher chance of getting in at this point (such as Mewtwo, Alakazam, Gallade, Reuniclus, and Gothitelle). We also already have two fire-type final evolution starters on the way, those being Charizard and very likely Blaziken. However, one thing to keep in mind is that one final evolution Gire starter if Fire/Flying, while the other is Fire/Fighting. The other three Fire starters are pure Fire type (Typlosion) and Fire/Fighting types (Infernape and Emboar). In order to diversify the Fire-type final evolution starters, Delphox would fill that role very nicely with its Fire/Psychic type. We also do not have any mage-based fighters in the game yet, nor do we have a lot of feminine looking fighters, so Delphox could definitely get in for these facts alone.

She would definitely make a captivating addition to Pokken's roster, but I really want to see Greninja get in first since he is one of my favorite Kalos Pokemon out there.

Nominations:

Gallade: x2
Bisharp: x1
Swampert: x1
Meloetta: x1

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
A quick note before we get going here. I've noticed something that's kept showing up in arguments: this idea that a mon from a later generation is competing with other mons from its generation. For example, this idea that Golurk has to vie with so many other Unovamons to get in, or Breloom is up against however many other mons from Hoenn.

To be honest? I don't think that argument makes any sense. Why would one mon from a certain generation prevent more mons from that same generation from getting in? Hasn't the fact that nearly half the ones we know of so far are from Gen 1 proof of that?

If you're looking for competition, it's more between mons with similar niches. Sceptile and Breloom probably wouldn't both get in, for example, because their build, affinity, and ability sets are similar for the most part. It has to do with them both being Grass types, not the fact that they're both from Gen 3.

Keep that in mind going forward, okay, everyone?

Hitmonlee

A member of the old guard, a master of kicks and long-ranged blows. Being one of the first fighting types and specializing in a distinct fighting style would help him, right?

...Well...I'm not really convinced. Hitmonlee is lower down in popularity, and we already have so many mons from Gen 1 already, including a Fighting type! Unless the roster is much larger than it seems, Lee'll probably be riding the bench.

Want: 27.5%
Stretchy kicks can only catch my attention for so long. Can we get some more interesting fighters up in here?

Hitmonchan

Chance: 25%
Lee, but with fists instead of feet. Take all the arguments we've already seen, then pile on the fact that Machamp already relies mostly on punches! Where Lee would at least stand out a little, the only thing Chan would have going for him is different elemental punches...if Namco-Bandai felt it was a good idea! With so many other mons to choose from, it seems more likely they'd focus more on interesting ideas rather than pay nostalgic lip service.

I'll say this, though. We'd likely either get Chan and Lee both, or get neither. They always show up in pairs.

Want: 20%
And it's that lesser level of uniqueness that has me barely interested at all.

Hitmontop

This one I could actually see happening on his own, regardless of Chan or Lee. A capoeira-styled moveset based around spins and constantly staying in motion would stand out well despite being another pure Fighting type. Even though they likely aren't putting a hard limit on how many mons they can pull from each generation, it seems a lot more plausible they'd take a second or third from Gen 2 than a fifth from Gen 1.

Also manages to hold my interest better than his brethren, as well.

Alakazam

Yes, "the" Psychic type. Yes, well known from back in the day. Yes, has a mega. Those don't matter much if Alakazam's main power set is already being used by someone else.

Gardevoir is already in the game, a mon just as iconic nowadays and with a moveset based around nearly the same classic psychic powers. Able to do nearly everything Zam can except bend spoons in addition to its own powers based around Fairy-type magic and miniature black holes, Gardevoir basically does more with the niche than Zam ever could.

To say no less of how much worse off he'd be if Mewtwo also got in.

Want: 27.5%
I'm not much of a fan. It'd take an awful lot to make me give him more of a look than Gardevoir, anyway, who I'm considering for a secondary...

Golem

Chance: 32.5%
This guy's got something going for him: the total lack of any mons so far that share his elemental affinity. With no mons so far to make his abilities feel redundant, he has a shot of using that control of earth and stone to create something all his own...potentially. Problem is, there're a lot of other Rock types or Ground types that feel more inspired. Unless Golem got the nod early on, he'd probably pale in comparison. Even Rhyperior is probably more likely!

Want: 35%
An earth-based moveset crossed with rolling attacks could be interesting...but he still doesn't catch my interest as much as other mons that share his types.

Delphox

Delphox's chances come down to just how large the roster actually is. We have two Fire types so far, and if the roster is as small as some fear, a third would be a very hard sell. If there really are a lot more mons to be revealed, though? If we're looking at something in the realm of 25-30 total? Delphox has a legitimate chance.

I've seen some people claim Delphox is up against Hawlucha, Chesnaught, Sylveon, and so many other mons from Gen 6...but why? If all of them have their own abilities, why would any of them hurt each other's chances? The bigger competition would come from other Fire types...and fortunately, that's one Delphox has a lead in.

After all, if you want a well known mon with fire powers who contrasts with the up close brawler styles of the two you have, a straight up pyromancer would be perfect!

Okay, so maybe I'm a little biased. Despite some questionable design quirks by Ken Sugimori, Delphox is my favorite mon from Gen 6 and one of my favorite starters overall. Getting to use a character I'm such a huge fan of in a game like this would be incredible.

...Oh, and by the way, there's a certain well known ballot going on for Smash DLC, and that series doesn't have many spellcasters...

Nominations:
Absol x2!
Mienshao
Noivern
Keldeo

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Have to leave shortly, so no explanations today.

Hitmonlee's chances: 20%

Hitmonchance's :p : 20%

Hitmontop's chances: 20%
Want: 30%

Alakazam's chances: 35%

Golem's chances: 30%

Delphox's chances: 35%

Nominations:
Zoroark x2
Bisharp x1
Garchomp x1

Sceptile x1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Himonlee chances: 36.39%
Hitmonlee want: 44.17%

Hitmonchan chances: 35.83%
Hitmonchan want: 45.00%

Hitmontop chances: 40.83%
Hitmontop want: 55.00%

Alakazam chances: 53.33%
Alakazam want: 60.83%

Golem chances: 44.69%
Golem want: 56.38%

Delphox chances: 34.67%
Delphox want: 52.22%

Yesterday's Pokémon have been overall less wanted than the ones we rated during the first two days, and we got our first <50% wanted Pokémon. Most notably Hitmontop had been deemed more desirable among the Hitmon trio.

Since it had been okay I'll now set six Pokémon per day as the new standard; it'll help us rate as many Pokémon as possible before the arcade version of the game officially released. Today we're rating Staraptor, Garchomp, Farfetch'd, Absol, Gallade and Haxorus. Please rate them in chances and want. By the way, don't forget to nominate other Pokémon to rate!

Last edited:
Staraptor
Chance: 30% (I don't know would he work, and if a non-Hawlucha bird gets in, it'll most likely be Pidgeot)
Want: 10%

Garchomp
Chance: 50% (We don't have a true Dragon-type Pokemon in Pokken yet, and he also has a Mega Evolution, which could help him to get chosen over non-Mega dragons like Dragonite or Goodra.

Farfetch'd
Chance: 10% (Fairly unpopular Pokemon who desperately needs an evolution; either normal or Mega)
Want: 0%

Absol
Chance: 40% (Popular Gen 3 Pokemon with a Mega, but there's other quadrupedal Dark-type with a Mega (Houndoom), and while we already have a Dark type in Pokken, Weavile is so different from Absol that it probably doesn't matter)

Gallade
Chance: 38% (We already have 2-3 fighting types, and Gardevoir, debuting first and being more popular, has always been favored more, she even got a Mega before Gallade did)

Haxorus
Chance: 20% (If a Dragon-type Pokemon gets chosen, it'll most likely be a pseudo-legendary one)
Want: 30% (I prefer Garchomp)

Nominations: Krookodile 2x, Torterra, Seviper, Darkrai

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Staraptor
Chance: 35%

IMO one of two actual birds (Hawlucha is more humanoid than bird IMO) that could work for Pokken, before Hawlucha, Staraptor was the closest thing we had to a Fighting/Flying type with it's Close Combat that it learns upon evolving, and could have some interesting wind based attacks to go with it as well as using it's Brave Bird...Staraptor would be one of those high risk, high reward type characters that dive head first and deal hefty amounts of damage...

----

Garchomp

One of the more likely Dragon types and can work around not just Dragon type attacks but Ground type attacks as well, and his Mega form would be fairly beastly...Dragonite and Haxorus are his competition in that regard, unless people want to consider Charizard as Pokken's dragon...

----

Farfetch'd (DUX)

A bird...but that uses a sword...well kinda...a vegetable, but details...Farfetch'd was originally one of those forgotten pokemon and was often hated simply because it couldn't evolve with mediocre stats, but in a fighting game environment having wind and 'bird' like attacks coupled with swordplay with his Leek could make for an interesting small fighter

----

Absol
Chance: 55%

Pokken has Suicune which shows us that Quadrupeds are indeed possible, Absol could have a lot of Weather based attacks to set it apart from it's Dark counterpart, Weavile, as well as various Bug and Psychic type attacks to go with it's slashing and foreseeing abilities, and of course it's lovely mega form to boot

----

Gallade

'But since we have Gardevoir that means we need Gallade as well'...that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but Gallade does have the fighting type that makes him fit into the game quite well...a lot of slashing with it's elbow swords actually reminds me of both Talim and Cervantes from Soul Calibur with their dual wielding blades and since they are Namco property inspiration can easily be taken from either of them...

----

Haxorus

YES....ALL OF THE YES!! Haxorus is easily one of my most wanted for Pokken! The Axe faced dragon would fit right into the environment, though he's got some stiff competition with the likes of Garchomp and Dragonite for being this game's dragon, as well as Charizard already filling that archetype to an extent. But blasting people away with one swipe of those Axe tusks would be uber satisfying! If Haxorus and Scizor make it into Pokken I'd be 100% satisfied with the lineup from then on!

----

Nomintations:
Typhlosion
Quagsire
Hariyama
Hoopa
Blastoise

Last edited:

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Staraptor
One of the best pokemon from Sinnoh, having Close Combat, Brave Bird, Fly, Wing Attack and Double Edge give it a lot of strong attacks, and with Endeavor it would have the chance to make epic comebacks

Garchomp
Chance: 80%
Maybe the best pokemon from Sinnoh, and one of the strongest contenders to be the Earth representative

Farfetch'd
Chance: 20%
I think it would be a little far fetched... ¬¬

Absol
Having quick and strong attacks and razor wind to spice the things up makes it a cool looking and great challenger to be the Dark Pokemon

Gallade
I don't know... having Gardevoir already...

Haxorus
Not Dragonite or Garchomp

Noms
Nidoking x2
Porygon Z
Keckleon
Luxray

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Staraptor:

Chances: 30% It's popular but it might not be popular enough.
Want: 60% I love aerial fighters, and Staraptor is one of my favorite birds. I'd prefer
Togekiss though, if given that opportunity.

Garchomp:

Chances: 70% I just see him happening, he's pushed alot, gets a mega, is a dragon type and is very popular.
Want: 30% Land Sharks are just what every fighting game needs. Unfortunately,
Dragonite is even more neccesary, for all fighting games.

Farfetch'd:

Chance: 5% Far fetched to say the least :troll:. I'm sorry. It has to compete with the other small hopefuls, like Meowth, Clefairy and Jigglypuff, the other Genwunners, and to be frank I can't see it ever winning against it's competition.
Want: 10% No real interest, only thing I'd see is that I tend to like Aerial fighters, which he/she could end up being.

Absol:

Chances: 60% Has a mega, is a quadruped, which is unrepresented, and is a Hoenn Pokemon so I really don't see what's stopping it.
Want: 40% Meh, it would be cool, but not really what i'm looking for.

Gallade:

Chances: 20% Very popular and has a mega, but I think Gardevoir took it's spot.
Want: 70% I like Gallade, but I don't really want him that much for this, dunno why.

Haxorus:

Chances: 18% He'd have to actually use Hax to get in.
Want: 70% I happen to like da Hax. Seriously though, hacking and slashing with those Axe Blades on his face sounds very fun.

Nominations:
Clefairy x 1

Dragonite x 2

Wobbuffet x 1

Slowbro x 1

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Staraptor chances: 20%
Arguably the most popular Normal/Flyting-type Pokémon, Staraptor seems to be the perfect candidate for a... well, raptor-based moveset. Its design, however, may possibly not work well with Pokkén's gameplay.

Staraptor want: 60%
I'm mildly interested... an hyper aggressive raptor moveset based on Double Edge, Brave Bird, Reckless and Close Combat actually sounds cool.

-----

Garchomp chances: 46%
A very popular Dragon-type Pokémon who would fit well with Pokkén's gameplay. A potentially very aggressive gameplay based on bites, slashes and earthquakes, with a very good attack while still not sucking on speed and defense (in other words, an all-around fighter gravitating mostly towards attack) sounds fitting for it.

Garchomp want: 60%
I'm mildly interested as well, Garchomp is admittedly Pokkén material for both its design and its influence towards the Pokémon universe. I'm not going higher in want because I'm kinda worried abut the sheer number of shashing-based moveset, but at least we could for once discover its "sonic speed" from its Pokédex description in a Pokémon game.

-----

Farfetch'd chances: 12%
Well, while not exactly unpopular or hated, I guess most people are apathetic towards this Pokémon, which definitely hurts it. But at the same time, will Pokkén try to choose wild cards who aren't exactly popular Pokémon? If so, I guess Farfetch'd may have a shot, due to still being fondly remembered thanks to its joke attributes (poor base stats, always holds a stick, doesn't evolve, and placed just before Doduo in the Pokédex... I hope I wasn't the only one who thought Farfetch'd was Doduo's pre-evolved form at the time). Plus, thanks to its small size, Farfetch'd may be perfectly viable for Pokkén from a design standpoint, and its ability to fly alongside its stick could give it a unique aerial swordfighter niche no one could possibly emulate.

Farfetch'd want: 100%
I'd like for Pokkén to give their chance to Pokémon people are apathetic to, and Farfetch'd is one of the best candidates for that. It could be both a unique and hilarious addition to the roster. Yes please!

-----

Gallade chances: 35%
Gardevoir's already here and is overall a more popular Pokémon, though Gallade could admittedly occupy a completely different niche as a fighter.

Gallade want: 40%
Dual sword wielding may be fun. Outside of that, I'm not too interested in this Pokémon.

-----

Absol chances: 60%
I've already rated it in the Smash DLC RTC thread, explaining that it wasn't likely for Smash but I gave a Pokkén ranting as a bonus and said that it was much more likely for this game. Absol has influence, popularity and standing-outness among all Pokémon, and as such is definitely Pokkén material. Design seems okay, and its relation to disasters could inspire a moveset with attacks like Future Sight or Razor Wind.

Absol want: 60%
Even though it's a Dark-type Pokémon with powerful claws, Absol I think could be a cool addition to the roster nonetheless. Its gameplay wouldn't be as fast-paced as Weavile for sure, and seeing unique moves like Future Sight and Razor Wind sound interesting.

-----

Haxorus chances: 26%
A rather popular Dragon-type, but honestly overshadowed by other Dragon-type Pokémon in both popularity and moveset potential. Though its axe jaw could inspire a unique playstyle.

Haxorus want: 47%
A Pokémon who would fight mostly with its head sounds interesting, but overall not a very exciting choice for me.

-----

Nominating: Magikarp; Abomasnow; Terrakion x2; Xerneas

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Staraptor
Chance - 35%
Want - 60%
I could dig Staraptor. She (mine was a female) was my strongest Pokemon back in Pokemon Diamond version. With Close Combat, Brave Bird, and Double Edge, Staraptor is a pretty hard hitter. But, there are Pokemon that I want more.

Garchomp
Chance - 55%
Want - 50%
I'm neutral for the most part on Garchomp. I've never really been attached to him (probably because I was never really a fan of the Dragon type until their balancing in Generation 6). Out of all the Dragon Type pseudo's, he's definitely one of the most different.

Farfetch'd
Chance - 10%
Want - 20%
Farfetch'd has some serious competition from Hawlucha and Staraptor. He does seem unique in the fact that he's got that leak that he fights with, but strangely enough, I don't remember any moves that are exclusive to him using said leak. He needs some overhauls to compete with the big boys.

Absol
Chance - 30%
Want - 30%
I don't get what the big deal is with Absol. He was somewhat popular back in Generation 3, but he was never Lucario popular. He did get a Mega Evolution, which is nice, but he's never been among my favorite Pokemon. I just feel that he has to work a little harder.

Gallade
Chance - 45%
Want - 50%
Similar to Garchomp, I don't care for Gallade one way or another. He could be a physical variation of Gardivore perhaps, but even then, isn't he a better special attacker anyways? I know that he's pretty well liked, and has a Mega Evolution, but he doesn't have that same Starpower that Gardivore has.

Haxorus
Chance - 20%
Want - 1%
I really don't care about Haxorus. Out of all the Dragon Types, the only one that I think is even more "meh" is Druddigon. It isn't pseudo, and it's overall pretty basic, with only a monotype Dragon. He has serious competition as it is. So I'm fine if I don't see it in the game.

Nominations
Plusle & Minun Tag Team X1
Slowbro X1
Kecleon X1
Wobbuffet X1
Marowak X1

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I noticed your like on my post so just a heads up I changed some of the rating percentages on my post as I felt some were somewhat inaccurate...
Pretty much just Garchomp and Farfetch'd's chance scores...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

Staraptor

A full on aerial ace (hee hee) whose movement style might prove tricky to implement in a fighting game of this type. Even past that, how likely would it be that a mostly standard "early bird" would get the nod when there're so many other mons to pick from that aren't as run-of-the-mill?

That said, though, if we were to get an early bird, it'd likely be Staraptor.

Deftly flying through the air, then getting up in an opponent's face and destroying them with powerful physical attacks? I could get behind that a little, at least.

Garchomp

A 600 beast and infamously overpowered, Garchomp could help shore up a roster currently lacking in Ground and Dragon types (unless you count Charizard's Mega form, anyway). A combination of untouched niche and fan notoriety make this landshark-thing one of the more likely candidates...although I wouldn't go as far to say a frontrunner.

Want: 35%
Meh. Maybe I've seen too many of them elsewhere to give the idea more than a shrug?

Farfetch'd

Chance: 15%
One could almost call this one a running gag...and that could make or break its chances. I'm not much a fan of joke characters, but most fighting games tend to have one or two of them. If the roster is big enough, it may give Farfetch'd a chance to sneak in for a laugh...but I wouldn't count on it.

Like I said, not much a fan of joke characters, and while the whole "wielding the leek stalk like a sword" thing in interesting, there're other mons that pull off that fighting style better.

Absol

Chance: 42.5%
A perennial fan favorite despite not being a starter, a legendary, or having a prominent role in a movie. As with a few mons we've seen already, Absol's chances hinge on how deep the roster is. If only a few more characters are waiting in the folds, we may not see a second Dark type at all, or the likes of Tyranitar, Zoroark, or Greninja getting priority. In a roster of 25 or more, though? Absol's massive movepool and thematics wholly unlike any other Dark type could let it stand out.

Favorite Pokémon ever. Those of you who've seen me elsewhere probably saw this one coming. >_>

Gallade

Gallade's chances, once again, ride on roster size. So far, the only Psychic type we've seen is counterpart evolution Gardevoir, and one could argue a more iconic psychic like Mewtwo would be more likely at this point. The greater the roster expands, though, the more likely this psychic knight gets a chance to do battle.

An interesting, inspired design with unusual stats and moves for a Psychic type plus a swordsman motif? Count me in.

Haxorus

Just what dragons are in the works, anyway? Haxorus is rather unusual, physically-oriented like the more popular Dragon-types, yet with a less than conventional design that's led to its share of fans. As with a lot of other mons, the larger the roster size is, the greater chance Haxorus has, especially if any other dragons aren't nearly as reliant on attacks up close.

Although the suspicious lack so far of playable mons from Gen 5 helps Haxorus' odds, at least indirectly.

I mean, come on, a black and gold armored dragon with axe blades for tusks? That's like three different kinds of awesome.

Nominations:
Mienshao x2!
Noivern
Keldeo
Chesnaught

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Staraptor

When it comes to a true flying type Pokemon (not counting Hawlucha since it supposed more of wrestler than your average bird), Staraptor would be one of the best picks to fit that kind of role, especially with a fighter-esque moveset thanks to moves like Brave Bird, Close Combat, Sky Attack, and U-Turn. He's also a popular Pokemon from the Sinnoh region. The only issues I see going for him is the competition he would face with other bird Pokemon; his two main rivals would be Pidgeot and Talonflame. Another problem I see with Staraptor is that a bird-style fighter would be hard to develop, but I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility thanks to Quadruped fighters appearing in the game, something that surprised us all when we learned about Suicune's inclusion.

For a bird rep, Staraptor would definitely be the one I want to see the most. He and Talonflame are my favorites of the regional final evolution birds, not to mention that a bird fighter would be very interesting.

Garchomp

Garchomp is one of the most popular Dragon-type Pokemon, and we are yet to see a true Dragon-type Pokemon on the roster. Yes, we have Charizard who looks like a dragon and his Mega Evolution X is dragon-type, but I think we need to see an actual Dragon-type join the roster. Garchomp would work really well to fit that role, and he has a Mega-Evolution that he can use for his super-attack.

For a Dragon-type rep, Garchomp is definitely one of my top contenders. I'm especially interested in seeing his super-attack when he Mega Evolves, as his Mega Evolution is the very essence of sacrificing speed for absolute power (referencing his stat-changes upon Mega Evolving) necessary to finish the opponent.

Farfetch'd

Farfetch'd isn't one of the most popular bird Pokemon out there, mainly because Pokemon fans complain about its mediocre stats and the fact it desperately needs an Evolution/Mega Evolution. Because of it's lack of popularity, it has major competition with Staraptor, Pidgeot, and Talonflame for the first bird rep slot on the roster. However, Farfetched could have an interesting moveset where he would use his stick like its some sort of a baton/beating stick, though personally, Farfetch'd is one of those Pokemon that'd be much more fitting as an Assist Pokemon.

Want: 5%

He's definitely not one of my favorite bird Pokemon out there. If he'll get a cool looking Evolution/Mega Evolution in the future, however, then I think I'll be supporting it for a Pokken Inclusion.

Absol

Chance: 60% 70% <------New Rating

We only have Gardevoir as the playable Hoenn fighter at the moment, and being a fairly popular Pokemon from that generation, he definitely has the chance to become the second. We might already have Weavile as the Dark-type rep, but that doesn't mean we should only be limited to one type. His inclusion would also be a great way to boost the number of Quadruped fighters on the Smash Bros roster. The primary issue for Absol's case is that he has to compete with other popular Hoenn Pokemon like Blaziken, Metagross, Salamance, Deoxys, etc.

Upon closer inspection, I realized that it isn't Absol's competition with other popular Hoenn Pokemon is the problem. We already have a Hoenn rep in the game at this point, so it's no longer about competing for the second Hoenn slot. Rather, Absol's main issue would be competition with other Dark types, such as Bisharp or Pangoro. But compared to Bishop or Pangoro, Absol has a strong unique factor going for it, something that I will explain in the want rating below, and that boosted his chances higher than I previously given him.

He would definitely have a very interesting moveset thanks to his wide move pool, and he could summon different weather effects to boost the strength of some of his attacks as a reference to being the forewarner of disasters. Add a few slashing and claw-based attacks here and there, and Absol could definitely stand a chance against the other fighters. For a new Dark-type rep, however, he isn't one of my most wanted; that title goes to Bisharp.

Gallade

I will admit this rating might be too optimistic, but I think Gallade has a pretty good shot in making it into the roster. Being a fighting type already works really well since this is supposed to be a true one-on-one fighting game, and he is a pretty popular Psychic type Pokemon as well (sure Gardevoir is more popular, but Gallade is still a popular Pokemon for a Psychic type). He also gained a Mega Evolution in the recent Ruby and Sapphire remakes; this has helped boost his popularity, and it could easily be used for a super-attack.

Yes, we may not need another Psychic type Pokemon, but to me, Gallade isn't supposed to be like Gardevoir, Mewtwo, or Alakzam. I mean, when you first hear Gallade's name, do you picture him using attacks like Psychic, Psywave, Confusion, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Energy Ball? Of course not! Gallade isn't meant to attack with Psychic blasts of energy and carrying other fighters through teleportation; rather he is designed to be a fighter, and a unique one too; while he can fight with punches and kicks, he is really meant to fight as if he is utilizing swords.

I think Pokken Tournament could really use Pokemon that fight like they are using swords. Sure we might already have Lucario using Bone Rush, but in the end, he's really using punches, kicks, Aura Spheres, and his Aura a lot more often. Gallade, on the other hand, would be the true sword fighter, and although Bisharp would be another good contending keeping all of that in mind, it is important to note Gallade was the first sword-fighting Pokemon of the two. We are already seeing uniqueness through Suicune as a Quadruped fighter and the good possibility of getting a bird Pokemon as a fighter, so I think Gallade would represent this uniqueness perfectly (though one could make a similar argument with Garchomp, but I personally see Garchomp being more of a claw-based fighter as his hands are essentially claws, not blades).

To summarize this argument, we are seeing uniqueness amongst fighters in Pokken Tournament. We already have a fire user that can fly and a quadruped that can summon water to name a few. Even amongst the fighting types we are seeing uniqueness. Sure both of the fighting types use punches and kicks a lot, but one fighting Pokemon is all about delivering fast, powerful punches (Machamp) while the other uses punches, kicks, and Aura attacks combined into a good mixture (Lucario). That in mind, it wouldn't hurt to add another fighting type that would bring uniqueness in some sort of way, and Gallade can fill that role perfectly because his sword-based attacks would make him stand out amongst other fighting types (and Pokken Tournament should add blade-based fighters into the mix).

Another reason why I think Gallade has a good chance is because of the split evolution argument. Many will already argue we have Gardevoir and that's enough. I understand this viewpoint, but to me, I am one of those people that thinks "If Pokemon A of the split evolution/close relation duo gets in, Pokemon B should get in as well because it would be unfair to leave either A or B out of the equation." I mean, in yesterday's RTC, there was a reason why I rated Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee together: the two are very closely related to each other (Hitmontop, though another split evolution, isn't as close to them as the two are to each other), and I think it'd be unfair to leave one Pokemon out of the relationship while giving the other one all the glory. Similarly, we already have the idea of a Plusle and Minun tag team coming in a few days, but let's imagine for a second if this tag team scenario didn't happen and we had the two Pokemon as separate fighters. Would you include Plusle/Minun as a fighter and exclude the other from having that chance? Of course not! I will acknowledge some close relationships, split evolutions, and duos can be debatable (such as Vileplume and Bellosom, though I don't see either of them having much of a chance anyway).

With Gardevoir and Gallade, the two are very closely related to each other. Though Gardevoir was the first of the two to get a Mega Evolution, Gallade got a Mega Evolution in the next set of Pokemon games. That shows how the developers care about not leaving one Pokemon out of close evolution line. Granted, we have a different team of developers creating Pokken Tournament, but I'm sure Gallade is still within their radar. If Gallade won't make it in by the time of the game's release, then I think we'll see him get in as DLC.

You should already tell how familiar I am with him and how much I support his inclusion into the game just by reading all of that information I discussed about Gallade's chances. Gallade is my favorite Pokemon of all time, and if Smash Bros won't be the game where he'll get the spotlight he deserves, then Pokken Tournament will be the one to fulfill that role. The day I see Gallade become a fighter in Pokken Tournament would be a VERY happy day for me. Much of the reasons I provided already explain how I think he would work and how he'd be unique, with Gallade using attacks like Psycho Cut, Night Slash, Leaf Blade, Slash, Fury Swipes, False Swipe, and Brick Break, along with a few punches and kicks (as well as some teleporting to fit his Psychic typing). In addition, who wouldn't want to see this awesome looking Mega Evolution during a battle?

I mean, we got a feminine Pokemon looking as if she's ready to go to prom for her super-attack, how about we get a masculine Pokemon looking as if he is dressing up for the same occasion, and even going as far dressing up as if Gardevoir is his prom date, to complete the duo.

As Mega Gardevoir would unleash the ultimate Psychic attack for her super-attack by creating a Black Hole and attacking the opposing Pokemon with multiple waves of Psychic energy as he/she is trapped from the sheer force, Mega Gallade would unleash the ultimate sword-based by trapping the opposing Pokemon into the wall with one of his long elbow swords. Then, he would proceed to unleash a barrage of slashes onto the opponent, finishing the onslaught with a upward slash into the air. Once the opposing Pokemon gets launched into the air, Mega Gallade quickly teleports up and delivers a powerful stab that drives the opposing Pokemon into the groundto finish the super-attack. If the super-attack KOs the opposing Pokemon, e could do some sort of a graceful motion with his arms and cape. To me, that would be the most epic super-attack ever, and it would really capture how Gallade is the sword-master Pokemon and not the generic fighting type Pokemon.

I'd also picture Gallade being the courageous Pokemon that he is when fighting during a battle. Personally, we don't really have a lot of heroic-looking Pokemon on the Pokken Tournament roster at the moment aside from Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario and Suicune (Machamp and Gardevoir are debatable, but they don't look like the kind of Pokemon that make you think "hero" away) but when I watch each of them fight, they don't exactly fight like they are the heroes of the story. Gallade, on the other hand, would fight like a true hero as its Pokedex entries stating that it's "a master of courtesy and swordsmanship", and it "fights savagely" when "protecting someone." We already have Gengar and Weavile like the mischievous and sneaky Pokemon that they are (with Mewtwo bound to happen as another villainous-looking Pokemon to add to that mix), so I think it's time we add some heroic Pokemon into the mix.

Haxorus

Chance: 85%

Axew was one of the most iconic Pokemon from Generation 5 (largely thanks to the anime), and with that, his evolution line also become quite recognizable. For this game, Axew might not have the best chances because it isn't as iconic as Pikachu, and it's small size would make it more fitting for an Assist Pokemon instead. Haxorus, on the other hand, would work perfectly. Pokken Tournament generally focuses on the final evolution of an evolution line more than the basic stage when it comes to fighters, and he is another popular Pokemon from generation 5.

What else would Haxorus bring to the table though? For starters, the Dragon-typing is yet to be properly represented in the game, and my details about that can be found about my thoughts on Garchomp's chances. We also don't have any fighters that fight as if they are using axe blades, and with Haxorus primarily attacking using his tusks, he would be a very unique addition to the roster keeping that in mind. The main thing that is holding him back, however, is the competition he has with other popular dragon types competing for the first slot, such as Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamance, and Hydreigon. Despite that, I am convinced we could be seeing at least two-three Dragon types on the roster when the game is released, and Haxorus would definitely be a contender for either the second or third dragon slots.

Who wouldn't want a Dragon Pokemon that would fight other Pokemon using its ultra-powerful, steel-cutting tusks? That's what makes Haxorus awesome! I'm sure he would also have an epic looking Giga Impact or Outrage for his super-attack that would really show his relentless behavior when he has to defend his territory.

Nominations:

Swampert: x2
Bisharp: x1
Meloetta: x1
Gogoat: x1

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
The primary issue for Absol's case is that he has to compete with other popular Hoenn Pokemon like Blaziken, Metagross, Salamance, Deoxys, etc.
But how are any of them in direct competition with Absol when none of them have the same abilities? Being from the same generation doesn't automatically pit them against each other. Why is that such a prevalent idea?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
But how are any of them in direct competition with Absol when none of them have the same abilities? Being from the same generation doesn't automatically pit them against each other. Why is that such a prevalent idea?
Back when I talked about this specific point, I was mainly looking at the popularity aspect of Absol alone, not comparing Absol's abilities to Blaziken's, Metagross's, Salamance's, and Deoxys'. I'm sure the four I listed also have been getting a lot of demand for a Pokken inclusion as well since they are also very popular Pokemon from Generation IIl.

I mean, we are yet to see a Generation II Pokemon get included, but let's say there was another Gengar-situation where developers would pick which Pokemon would be the first to represent Generation II for Pokken Tournament based on which was more demanded by fans. Let's say it came down between Scizor or Xatu (for instance): who do you think would win in terms of popularity? Probably Scizor. Of course, Xatu would definitely have the unique factor going for it too, but again, this is if we are looking at popularity. Of course, Xatu could still be added into the game; he would be added after Xatu in that light.

Likewise with Absol, I don't think his chances are zero; far from it actually. I really think he has a strong chance; in fact, compared to the other Hoenn Dark types, I think he has the best chance out of all them all. When I look back at what I said about Absol though, I think it was mistake on my part to compare him with other popular Hoenn Pokemon; I only ended up comparing him to other Hoenn Pokemon because I completely forgot about the other Hoenn Dark types and didn't know who else he'd compete with except for the other popular Gen III Pokemon, and when the other four popular Gen III Pokemon I listed came across my mind, I felt worried for Absol, hence why I listed that as an issue for Absol at the time.

And with that, it looks like I'll need to boost the chance rating I gave to Absol.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I mean, we are yet to see a Generation II Pokemon get included, but let's say there was another Gengar-situation where developers would pick which Pokemon would be the first to represent Generation II for Pokken Tournament based on which was more demanded by fans. Let's say it came down between Scizor or Xatu (for instance): who do you think would win in terms of popularity? Probably Scizor. Of course, Xatu would definitely have the unique factor going for it too, but again, this is if we are looking at popularity. Of course, Xatu could still be added into the game; he would be added after Xatu in that light.
For one, we already have Suicune, so it's not like we don't have something from Gen 2 already. Beside the point, though.

The big thing with Gengar was how he was the only mon we know of that was chosen based on fan demand. From a designer's standpoint, if you had to pick between Scizor and Xatu for whatever reason, wouldn't it make more sense to go with the one who'd stand out more amongst the characters you already have? Scizor's popularity would only carry so far if, say, you have three other Steel types already in a roster of 25, and all three played similar to how Scizor would play.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
For one, we already have Suicune, so it's not like we don't have something from Gen 2 already. Beside the point, though.

The big thing with Gengar was how he was the only mon we know of that was chosen based on fan demand. From a designer's standpoint, if you had to pick between Scizor and Xatu for whatever reason, wouldn't it make more sense to go with the one who'd stand out more amongst the characters you already have? Scizor's popularity would only carry so far if, say, you have three other Steel types already in a roster of 25, and all three played similar to how Scizor would play.
...Looks like I made a huge error in thinking back when I discussed Scizor's chances, completely forgetting Suicune was the first generation 2 Pokemon to appear in Pokken Tournament. Yikes! Generation II wasn't the best example to use.

But you do make a very good point about the developer's standpoint. Indeed, uniqueness truly is a major factor when picking a character to join a fighting game line-up. I'll do my best to keep your comment in mind when I rate future Pokemon in this thread in the coming days.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Looks like I missed the previous day... Darn...

Gallade: Chance: 40%
It could be something different to Gardevoir, focusing on blade attacks over psychic powers, but it all depends on whether they'll have both branches of Ralts' evolution line.
Want: 70% Not a bad choice - wouldn't mind at all.

Haxorus: Chance: 14%
Want: Neutral until shown - 50%

Staraptor: Chance: 35%
Want: 40% Could be interesting, but my main Flying type choice would have to be Hawlucha.

Garchomp Chance: 46% Being one of the most popular (And very often one of the most frustratingly difficult Pokémon in the possession of Champions like Cynthia) Dragon types could help it's chances.

Absol Chance: 67% They could add it as a quadruped Dark type to set it apart from Weaville, and it could be an interesting pick.
Want: 70% Would be a cool choice

Farfetch'd Chance: 20%
Want: 40% Neutral, but I would probably go for Hawlucha.

Nominations: Koffing X4 Sylveon X1

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm going to abstain from Absol, Gallade and Farfetch'd.

Staraptor
Chance: 10%
Probably one of the most popular of the generic early bird Pokémon, mostly because it actually had a good movepool and stats to use in the main game and competitively. However, it still doesn't stand out that much outside of that.

Don't care either way.

Garchomp
Used extensively in Gen 4, was tied to Cynthia who herself was popular and made reappearances in Gen 5, and got a Mega in XY. So with those merits, it definitely is a possibility to get into the game as it is a notable Pokémon that either the fans or the developers would pick out for it.

It's a nice Dragon type, could be interesting to see what they pull off.

Haxorus
It's honestly more notable then people give it credit for. Due to the anime trying its hardest to promote its pre-evolution via Iris, its line has went on to be one of the most notable Pokémon from that generation among those fans who watched it. Additionally, it was the main Pokémon of both an important Gym Leader and Champion in the games and had notable appearances in spinoffs such as Conquest and (though less popular) Mystery Dungeon, so game-wise, it was no slouch either. Outside of promotion, it also has a notable amount of popularity among the fandom and usually ranks highly among Pokémon in general, so it's definitely not an easily forgotten Pokémon. Finally, it does lend itself well to a unique style moveset due to its prominent feature being its tusks, so it does have a niche that it could fill.

Having said that, we're still looking at a very limited roster with many choices to choose from, so even with the merits, it can still be overlooked.

I find its potential playstyle interesting, so I'm a fan.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Staraptor's chances: 25%

This would be my top choice for a flying type, but I'm not optimistic that a 'mon like this would be included.

Garchomp's chances: 60%

Feel like this is one of the more likely choices for a dragon type, and I could certainly get behind it.

Farfetch'd's chances: 10%
Want: 0%

Insert joke here, and I have no interest in it.

Absol's chances: 40%

It's fairly notable, but I'm not sure if it'll happen. Despite liking Absol, I'm not particularly invested in this choice.

Gallade's chances: 40%

I'm not sure if we'll get both Gallade and Gardevoir, but I really like both so would be happy with this choice.

Haxorus's chances: 40%

Possible but I'm leaning towards him getting passed up in favor of others. Indifferent.

Nominations:
Zoroark x2
Bisharp x1

Sceptile x1
Dragonite x1

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
I almost forgot to rate... I'll make it quick

Staraptor

Garchomp

Farfetch'd

Chance: 10%

Absol

Gallade

Haxorus

Nominations
Feraligatr
Ursaring
Heracross
Sceptile
Infernape

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Results

Staraptor chances: 32.08%
Staraptor want: 58.33%

Garchomp chances: 59.75%
Garchomp want: 65.00%

Farfetch'd chances: 14.27%
Farfetch'd want: 35.91%

Absol chances: 48.13%
Absol want: 51.36%

Gallade chances: 51.18%
Gallade want: 66.82%

Haxorus chances: 34.00%
Haxorus want: 54.42%

We have a clear loser here - sorry Farfetch'd, but you're both unexpected and not really wanted. Today we will be rating Kecleon, Zoroark, Bisharp, Nidoking, Feraligatr and Krookodile. Please rate them in chances and want. By the way, don't forget to nominate other Pokémon to rate! I'm sorry for the title, but it was either those slashes or something even worse.

@ Roaring Salsa Roaring Salsa you were just in time... Glad I could have counted your vote.
@ Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J I've counted your nominations as x2 for Koffing and x1 for Sylveon. Don't forget to follow the appropriate nomination rules!
@ Arcanir Arcanir why not nominate Pokémon you want to see rated?

Kecleon
Chance: 10% (While we don't have a Normal type yet, I still don't see Kecleon happening, there are more popular options for that)
Want: 0% (Mystery Dungeon made me hate this guy)

Zoroark
Chance: 55% (Most likely Gen V Pokemon for Pokken)

Bisharp
Chance: 40% (Another Dark-type Gen V Pokemon... he has to compete with Krookodile and more likely Zoroark)

Nidoking
Chance: 30% (We have so many Gen I Pokemon already (it wouldn't be a problem if the roster wasn't so small), and it would be weird to see him without Nidoqueen)

Feraligatr
Chance: 35% (Johto starters haven't got much promotion recently, we already have a Gen II Water type, and if we get a Water starter, it'll most likely be Greninja)

Krookodile
Chance: 40% (Same as Bisharp)
Want: 100% (one of my favorite Pokemon)

Nominations: Seviper 2x, Darkrai, Torterra, Chesnaught

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Kecleon

A very versetile pokemon. Kecleon covers every type in teh game with it's abilities! Though it does have a wide range of moves that can make it a trickster in teh roster...moves like Psybeam and Feint Attack as well as Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch to catch foes of guard. And can even deal some physical damage with it's claws and tongue as well, so think of a dumbed down Gengar, weavile mix, but perhaps with some more trickery involved. Kecleon is my favourite Normal type believe it or not, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game!

----

Zoroark

The most popular and iconic Generation 5 pokemon out there, possibly barely missed out on being a smash fighter over the likes of Greninja, as was the case for Kecleon, Zoroark can play the Trickster, it can possibly copy it's opponent or other fighters and use it's illusion to fake them out....and play all sorts of mind games...If people think he'd be another Weavile they better think again, Weavile's got slashing and Dark and Ice based attacks, Zoroark can slash and has Dark type attacks as well, but it's Illusion would make it a unique fighter in that regard and being primarily a special attacker would allow for moves like Night Daze to come through as well

----

Bisharp

This walking chess piece has the unique type combination of the two types that were both introduced in Gen 2, and has the use of various blade based attacks that can be implemented and not just from it's arms, it's entire body. It's biggest competition lies with the likes of Gallade and perhaps Aegislash as well. With gallade being the more likely pick Bisharp may miss out but with a greater roster size he could sneak his way in.

----

Nidoking
Want: 95%

Easily one of the most badass Gen 1 pokemon! A lot more popular than it's breast plated waifu as well. Nidoking can dish out physical damage as well as throw in some special attacks as well, we are talking about one of the msot versatile pokemon out there, anywhere from using moves like Iron Tail, Horn Drill, Earthquake, Double Kick, Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, Brick Break, Megahorn to using moves like Surf, Sludge bomb, Earth Power, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball and even Dragon Pulse! Nidoking's got a lot to work with and would be pretty frikkin awesome! Did I mention he's one of my favourite Gen 1 pokemon!

----

Feraligatr

Arguably the more popular Johto starter, Feraligatr may not be as unique, since he could be a water-based Charizard that can't fly...I personally don't see what he can do to make him stand out amoung other pokemon, and Suicune is about as unique you can get from a water type fighter without being a fish flopping on the field awkwardly...Dragon fighters such as Garchomp, Haxorus and Dragonite serve as competition as well since they all have very similar body types along with fellow Johto-mon Tyranitar, and that's not including his fellow water starters; Blastoise, and Swampert (just them as the other water staters would likely play very differently to Feraligatr anyways). Not to mention the likes of Krookodile being the other Croc pokemon. I'm fairly indifferent to Feraligatr as he's not my favourite Johto starter, but I'd prefer almost all of his competition to him anyways...

----

Krookodile

One of Ash's powerhouses from teh Unova region, and has developed a decent sized fanbase because of his role in the anime. Krookodile has some competition with regards to pretty much any dinosauroid pokemon that bites a lot...Aggron, Tyranitar, Tyrantrum, Feraligatr, Garchomp, Haxorus, etc...Krookodile has the advantage of being a Gen 5 rep which the game is currently lacking...Krookodile's chances are decent but there are probably pokemon that can do what he does cept better...

----

Nomintaions:
Concept: 20+ Playable Fighters x2
Typhlosion x1
Tyrantrum x1
Sceptile x1

We allowed to nominate concepts? If not then
Typhlosion gets x1 more and...
Hariyama x1

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
@ Aetheri Aetheri I'm not sure if we should nominate concepts; we don't have very much time to discuss the roster in the first place, and I wouldn't be surprised if many Pokémon in the final roster would not have been rated. I suggest a final day to discuss some concepts to rate once the arcade versions releases in Japan; here are some concept ideas we could rate on the final day:

- home console version;
- more fighters not in the arcade version;
- at least (insert number here) playable fighters;
- Pokkén amiibo line.

But yeah, we're not nominating concepts. Only playable Pokémon.

Top Bottom