• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I don't get this question about NFC vs. Barbara.

The NFC thing is a peripheral or sale tactic used by Nintendo, it is not an actual character.

Therefore, by default, Barbara wins between the two.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I don't get this question about NFC vs. Barbara.

The NFC thing is a peripheral or sale tactic used by Nintendo, it is not an actual character.

Therefore, by default, Barbara wins between the two.
It's not a competition, we just rate two concepts each day. Today, one is about NFC being used for Smash, the other one is about Barbara the bat being playable.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It's not a competition, we just rate two concepts each day. Today, one is about NFC being used for Smash, the other one is about Barbara the bat being playable.
Oh. Well in that case, I accept NFC, but only if it does not introduce having to pay for Smash Brothers characters.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
NFC:
Chance: 75%
Want: 99%
If we're going to get DLC, then I'd want it to be with the figures. Not only would we get a character, but we'd get a little figurine. I like to collect Nintendo figures here and there so it's honestly a plus for me. Now, that said, I'd rather have as much content BEFORE DLC.

Barbara:
Chance: 4%
Want: 0%
Sorry, doesn't interest me at all.

Nominations:
Metal Sonic x5

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
NFC
Chance: 78%
Smash bros is one of those games that would make lots of money off this and I would be Sakurai would like to use it.
Want:100%
There are a bunch of ways they can use it, Dlc if you want to customize the character, customization, memory card, and one thing I hope they do with is they go th Street Fighter 3ds way by saving you characters moves and records, And have it battle other trophies for points.

Barbara: Abstain

Tropical Resort x5

Ayumi Tachibana: 3.33%
Dr.Lobe: 23.8%

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
NFC Smash Trophies:
Chance: 95%
Well, word on the street is that it has been confirmed. I'm not entirely sure though, so I took off some points.

Want: Abstain
I don't fully understand it, so I don't want to give a score.

Barbara the Bat:
Chance: 2%
Another lesser known survivor of the Massacre, but she was a hidden AT in Brawl, and I expect the same this time too.

Want: 20%
Eh.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
NFC - 90%

Practically confirmed as far as I know.

Want - Abstain

Depends on what they're used for, really. If they're just toys or if they have some sort of actual effect on the game if they're purchased, not to mention the cost. So yeah, not sure how to feel about these.

Barbara the Bat - 5%

Eh, she's rather obscure. I think that she'll just be another survivor of the AT massacre in the Direct only to show up as an Assist again later on.

Want - 30%

I have little interest and no attachment to her. I guess she could be fun to play as, at least.

Ayumi prediction - 0.79%

Dr. Lobe Prediction - 2.46%

Plusle/Minun x5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
NFC figurines

+ This kind of stuff is big business nowadays with Skylanders and such
+ Nintendo is getting in on it, seen with Pokemon so far
+++ A Nintendo rep accidentally confirmed that they were in the game... but the accident could be that she was wrong, not that she wasn't supposed to say it...

- - Seems like the kind of thing Sakurai wouldn't like, especially for providing real content as opposed to, say, merely collectible trophies. Maybe he'd be ok with it if the same content was unlockable through other means

NFC figurine chances: 50%
I don't know which way to go on this. It doesn't sound like Sakurai to do that. But the Nintendo rep said it... There are compromises they could make that would make it more palatable to someone who's opposed to them as a primary game mechanic though.

NFC want: 20%
It's not very appealing to me unless it's merely one way of unlocking something otherwise unlockable (assuming they don't make all the NFC things ridiculously hard to unlock). I mean, if I was gonna buy a figurine just for like, displaying on my desk or whatever, then it'd be a nice bonus to get a trophy in Smash. But as an exclusive way to unlock content? Especially gameplay affecting content? No way.

Barbara the Bat

+ Multiple games, of which she is the most obvious rep
+ She was an AT, and she hasn't been eliminated yet
+ Would add a music-based move set. This isn't actually even the same as Rhythm Heaven, which is rhythm based. She would actually use musical instruments. Rhythm Heaven is more like a dance game than a music game in that sense. She has some potential for uniqueness anyway

- - Japan-exclusive
- - Low sales for her series overall, and per game. A lot lower than Rhythm Heaven, btw
- Not a lot of fan demand

Barbara chances: 2.2%
She's possible - she has a lot of the qualities needed. But it doesn't feel like she has enough. Assist Trophy feels appropriate for where she is now, and that's probably where she's going to stay. Sakurai said he wanted to have as many ATs as possible, and we've seen 21... Brawl had 27. It's doubtful that SSB4 won't have more than Brawl. We've still got plenty of ATs to see.

Barbara want: 5%
Music-based move set could be cool... But like Glaciacott Glaciacott I strongly dislike her design. Gigantic boobs, weird-shaped oversized head, blegh.

Predictions:
Ayumi Tachibana - 1%
Obscure Japan-only character? Well, plenty of people on here like stuff like that for some reason, but she's too obscure for even them.
Dr. Lobe - 4%
If Dr. Kawashima's floating head can inexplicably get a rating of 5%, then surely Dr. Lobe, a much less insane choice from similar games (that also have relatively high sales) can do similarly.

Nominations:
Bowser Land x5

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Oh wow another round went long better rush in a post before Groose updates

NFC in Smash - 90%
Already been explained pretty well by others (especially Glaciacott), the idea is pretty much perfect for Smash and it might finally explain the whole 3DS-Wii U connectivity we've been in the dark on for so long. The possible leak is just icing on the cake.
Want - 100% - Rating purely by potential here: I don't think Nintendo would do anything terribly anti-consumer with them like lock playable characters unless you buy the toys, and, being a bit of a collector, I love the idea of owning Smash toys and likely getting some sort of bonus for having them. I'm extremely curious to see what Nintendo might do with this.

Barbara - 1%
Japan-exclusive really hurts her, as does theoretically competing with Rhythm Heaven, but she's at least plausible as the primary character of her series and apparently having some notable popularity and having an active series.
Want - 0% - Simply doesn't interest me.

Groose

Smash Champion
(will this be the first Item we rate?)
Yessir.

Abstaining from NFC. Just can't make my mind on anything about it.

Barbara Chance: 5%

I did some prying into the sales of her series. According to my research, the DS installment of Rhythm Heaven sold more in the West alone than the entire Daigasso! Band Brothers franchise has sold worldwide. Low sales coupled with the fact that she's never even made it to America should keep her out; additionally, I'm leaning towards #TeamGematsu, and I doubt there would be two rhythm game characters. I'll put her on Jill Dozer's level.

Barbara Want: 0%

Her design really doesn't gel with me. I'd prefer she remain an AT.

x5 Double Trouble

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
NFC Trophies
74.17% chance
49.36% want

I made a mistake in describing this concept, so I excluded a small amount of scores that followed my description instead of the real meaning. Overall, everyone felt it was likely because Nintendo and the recent comments; however, it was incredibly polarizing from a want standpoint. I imagine we'll find out if we were correct or not in just a few weeks with this one!

Barbara
6.44% chance
17.58% want

Barbara managed a respectable chance score, but she really fell in the want department. It seems that this thread is really in the possession of Rhythm Heaven.

Today we're going to be rating Ayumi Tachibane and Dr. Lobe.
Since these characters are a bit more obscure than the standard fare, I've taken the liberty of linking you to information about them through the OP; just click on their names at the very top of the OP to go to the Nintendo Wiki. I suggest you all research, and I'll be doing the same (well, at least with regards to Ayumi). Tomorrow we're not going to be delving into such obscure territory; we'll be talking Mallo from the eShop hit Pushmo and the protagonist from the upcoming gam X. Please predict away!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Dr Lobe
-Chance 5%
-Want 0% - no interest whatsoever in this bland unimaginative blob.

Ayumi
-Chance 1%
-Want 0% - there are far more appealing obscure characters than this non-powered schoolgirl.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Barbara managed a respectable chance score, but she really fell in the want department. It seems that this thread is really in the possession of Rhythm Heaven.
Or we just like IdolM@ster more. You know, since a character from there would be the best Namco rep.

Let's see:

Dr. Lobe -
Chance: 7% - What really hurts him I think is WFT since he's a more casual game character. I give him points for his obscureness and likeability and originality for a moveset.

Also, the nominator wanted to know people's predictions of him in terms of AT.
I'd go 150% mainly since he's up against a larger pool of characters. But he does seem recognizable to many.

Want: 40% - No connection, but I don't mind him

Ayumi -
Chance: 10 % - I think in the retros she ranks maybe in the top 10 to top 15. So isn't to likely but has some ok chances.
Want: 95% - I think she's the best thing from Prof. Layton or Phoenix Wright. Plus, she's an anime like school girl which is a plus.

Predictions:
X Protag- 14%
Mallo - 5 % - Mainly since Dillon has been deconfirmed I don't think we will get a Eshop rep.

Nominations:
Mr. Dream Boss x 4
Charlie (Mario Golf) x 1

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Dr. Lobe - 0.4% A very unsuitable-for-Smash longshot from a successful series - that was outclassed in every way by Wii Fit. Look, I know any character has moveset potential, but the ones where Sakurai himself has commented on not having have one thing in common - limited mobility and source material, like Balloon Fighter and Sukapon. My gut tells me Dr. Lobe is in this category - but a stage would be amazing.
Want - 0%

Ayumi - 0.8% Too much retro competition that is less obscure and actually has demand.
Want - 2% Potentially interesting but too many other characters I desire.

predict:
X protag - 15%
Mallo - 8%

nominate:
Dr. Eggman x5

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Lobe
Chance: 1.5%
Kawashima or bust

Ayumi: Abstaining

Nomz
City Trial Stage (Kirby Air Ride) x5
I know Sakurai was on the development team for this game. He also showed footage of city trial when discussing Smash Run. Furthermore, the theme song to Kirby Air Ride played at the beginning of the Rosalina trailer, when Kirby was racing the Mario Kart cast on Rainbow road.

Predicts
X Protag: 16.7%
Mallo: 4.3%

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Dr. Lobe
Chance - 0%
Kawashima has a ton more presence that this ... thing ... and even that's a wild idea. No.
Also no for Assist Trophy. Sorry, I just don't see the point.

Want - 0%
Self-explanatory

Ayumi
Chance - 0.1%
So obscure Groose has to encourage us to research her series. She did get a trophy in Melee, but even then I just don't see her very obscure Japan-only series getting any attention for a playable character, particularly when her design is so boring compared to the likes of Donbe and Hikari or Takamaru <-- whose series also have much more presence and more to offer.

Want - 0%
Nope.

Predictions
X-man - 4.3%
Mallo - 6.5%

Nominations
x5 Smash TV/Spectator Mode

andimidna

Smash Master
Dr. Lobe:
Chance: 6.5%
Similar to Barbara, this is a character that I had never considered, and after some though, makes some sense.
Some.
Apparently he's actually the main character, and not Kawashima, right? That's what it sounded like...
Well, I have no clue about a moveset.
Want: 30%
Not really... no...

Ayumi:
[collapse=retro ranks]
Takamaru- 65%
-------------------
Mach Rider- 30%
Duck Hunt Dog- 20%
Sheriff- 15%
--------------------
Donbe and Hikari- 7%
Muddy Mole- 6%
Diskun- 5.5%
Excitebiker- 5%
Prince Sable- 4%
Ayumi- 2%
Urban Champion- 0.5%
Lip, Daitoryo, Balloon Fighter- 0.1% (not fully giving up hope)

I'm definitely forgetting many, but I can't think of more at the moment so this is the best I can do.[/collapse]
Want: 90%

I love the uniqueness that could especially be used if the detective was involved-- and the music is great. So I support this.
But I would prefer Lip and Donbe+Hikari, and Takamaru is the most deserving of them all.

Pre:
X protagonist: 20%
I still think Shulk will be the X protagonist, I mean, why not? Did the trailer suggest he wasn't? From what I remember, it was hinted to be Shulk, and Shulk is very likely, so I think this should do better than how I'm pretty sure it will turn out.

Nevermind. I agree it looks to be that other guy. So this won't do well.
I'll guess: 3%
Mallo: 5.5%
I think he'll rank close to how Barbara and Jill did.

New game, new prediction: 7%

Nom:
x2 Shia/Cia
x3 Takamaru!! (is the news worth the re-rate?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dr. Lobe

Chance: 5% - Gotta give credit to this Dr. Lobe, at least he had a Wii game...that predates Brawl though. His franchise in terms of reception is pretty good but unfortunately, there have been more Brain Age games being made than there has been of Big Brain Academy. I see him as regular trophy at best.

Want: 0% - I like the Big Brain Academy games but I don't have interest for Dr. Lobe to be playable.

Ayumi

Chance: Abstain

Want: 0% - Nope.

Nominations

Krystal x 2
Peppy Hare x 3

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Dr. Lobe

Chance: 20.6%
I shouldn't be too biased, considering Sakurai's general insanity/quirkiness. He could possibly fit in considering his game's casual appeal, and is weird enough to fit in the roster. But we already have the Wii Fit Trainer, and if we're getting another WTF character, it's probably going to be a retro character.

Never heard of him until now, and I'm not interested.

Ayumi Tachibana

Chance: 1.25%
Her chances are so slim it's not even funny. She's in competition with other, far more well-known retro candidates, and is practically obscure in her home country. Heck, she's probably forgotten by even Nintendo.

Want: 40%
Only for the sheer WTF value of having a Japanese schoolgirl duking it out with Nintendo All-Stars. I would laugh, and laugh, and laugh, if she were included.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Speaking of retros, with The Mysterious Murasame Castle getting localized on the Virtual Console (in at least Europe in a couple days, but inevitably NA too), perhaps Takamaru could use another revote?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Dr. Lobe
Want: 10%

This character doesn't really interest me particularly. We have G&W and Villager that represent their series by using a random assortment of items from their games, and I am sure that anything Dr. Lobe would be doing would involve educational objects used as weapons, which could be interesting, but at what cost? I also don't think the series Brain Age will get a character. No thanks.

Ayumi Tachibana
Chance: 1%

As others have said, incredibly obscure character from a niche, Japan only series. Not much more to say, I have no attachment to this character whatsoever either.

X Protagonist: 4.3% Its all about Shulk.
Mallow: 7.3%

7 Pokemanz x5

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Things turned out better for Barbara than I expected. I'm okay with this.

Dr. Lobe

Want: 3%
This guy atleast has a better chance of being playable than the Brain Age's Dr. Kawashima. You see, he's only a floating head. Lobe has the advantage of having a body.

Ayumi Tachibana
I want there to be some Famicom Detective Club content in the game. There deserves to be. But a playable character probably not going to happen.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dr. Lobe:

Chance: 2%. He doesn't really do much in his game except talk, from what I've seen. He seems a bit too obscure to warrant creating a moveset for him from scratch.

Want: 0%. I don't really think anyone from Nintendo's Touch! Generations series of games really warrants a character in a fighting game. If there was one, I think @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 knows who that would be. :p

Ayumi Tachibana:

Chance: 3%. The Famicom Detective Club series is an extremely obscure and old series, like, The Mysterious Murasame Castle. It has never seen the light of day in the US, or anywhere else except Japan. This character getting a Trophy in Melee, even considering how deep the game's Trophies dig into Nintendo's history, is still a surprise to see. In addition, she doesn't do anything that would translate well into a fighting game. She is not even the main character of her series.

Want: 10%. Well, she's certainly cute, and I think a detective-based character (akin to Phoenix Wright in MvC3) would be interesting, especially if she comically hit opponents with her briefcase. That being said, that seems more fitting for an Assist Trophy, where there's more room for obscure NES--excuse me, Famicom characters.

--- Predictions:

X Protagonist: 2.4%. Unless somehow, the protagonist of this game turns out to be Shulk (which would bump up his chances significantly) I can't see anyone rating this well.
Mallo: 5.7%.

--- Nominations:

(Not giving nominations to Aran Ryan so I can build his thread some more)

Nightmare (Soulcalibur) x3 (I didn't realize we already rated him. I'm bringing back up due to that "Demon Mercenary" thing supposed to shown at E3, even if I believe it's false)]

Non-Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man x2

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Dr. Earlobe:
I doubt he will end up appearing, but then again Sakurai.
Want: 18%
Better AT material than anything.

Random character I'm not familiar with:
Apparently she is a Nintendo character...
Want: Abstain
I'm too lazy to google her.

Predictions:
Mallo: 8.2%
X protagonist (Shulk?):32%
Noms:
3 fire emblem characters x2
Ridley Rool double trouble x1
Non-Ghostly adventures pac-man x2

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
The extra nominations post has been updated. Apologies for the delay, I was very tired last night.

Dr. Lobe prediction: 0.5% - I don't know if he'd get in over Kawashima, and Kawashima's very, very unlikely himself.
Want: 1% - Better than Kawashima but would overall still be a disappointing choice.

Ayumi's chances: 0.5% - A really obscure retro.
Want: 50% - Indifferent.

Mallo prediction: 4.58%
X Protagonist: 6.34%

Peppy Hare x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Dr.Lobe chance: 10% I would put at a good chance, I have a very hard time seeing him over Kawashima, as Brain Age is clearly the bigger series. I don't have much to say left about Dr. Lobe.
Dr. Lobe Want: 5% I'll be raged if he gets in over Kawashima, it loses the appeal of a floating head with hands that makes Kawashima so bizarre, and the design for me personally is pretty bland.

Ayumi Tachibana chance: 20% Like any other retro, she gets a 15% plus an addition 5% for her series being popular in Japan (back in the Famicom and Super Famicom times). It could potentially be something that Sakurai wants to revive, but for a mystery genre, I doubt he'll revive Detective Club.

Ayumi Tachibana want: 90% I like her, she could be really unique and has lots of untapped potential in moveset like using a magnifying glass as sort of a unique lightsaber weapon or maybe even having a suitcase as her projectile. Lot's of creativity can be put upon her.

Nominations:
x5 Two Retro Newcomers

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Dr. Lobe
Chance: 1% - He's from a pretty successful game, I'll give him that. It's still very hard to imagine him being playable as BBA hasn't had a new release since Brawl and is overshadowed by the more successful Brain Age. He also has no real popularity and it's difficult to think of a moveset for him.
Want: 5% - I'm not a fan.

Ayumi Tachabani
Chance: 0% - Hails from a long dead and forgotten Japanese exclusive franchise and has almost no moveset potential. She'd never even be considered.
Want: 0% - I think she'd be a terrible idea.

Mallo prediction: 2%
X protagonist prediction: 6%

Nominations: Calling to the night. x5

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Dr. Lobe:
Chance: 2% He's a blob. With a stick. Not that useful.
Want: 0%. See chance.

Ayumi:
Chance: 2%: Retro schoolgirl with little combat moves.
Want: 0%: If I want to play as a schoolgirl I'll play Sakura in Street Fighter. I'd rather the blob with a stick.

Nominations:

Team-Up Attacks in Team Battle x5

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Dr. Lobe:
Chance: 6.5%
Similar to Barbara, this is a character that I had never considered, and after some though, makes some sense.
Some.
Apparently he's actually the main character, and not Kawashima, right? That's what it sounded like...
Well, I have no clue about a moveset.
Not really... no...

Ayumi:
[collapse=retro ranks]
Takamaru- 65%
-------------------
Mach Rider- 30%
Duck Hunt Dog- 20%
Sheriff- 15%
--------------------
Donbe and Hikari- 7%
Muddy Mole- 6%
Diskun- 5.5%
Excitebiker- 5%
Prince Sable- 4%
Ayumi- 2%
Urban Champion- 0.5%
Lip, Daitoryo, Balloon Fighter- 0.1% (not fully giving up hope)

I'm definitely forgetting many, but I can't think of more at the moment so this is the best I can do.[/collapse]
Want: 90%

I love the uniqueness that could especially be used if the detective was involved-- and the music is great. So I support this.
But I would prefer Lip and Donbe+Hikari, and Takamaru is the most deserving of them all.

Pre:
X protagonist: 20%
I still think Shulk will be the X protagonist, I mean, why not? Did the trailer suggest he wasn't? From what I remember, it was hinted to be Shulk, and Shulk is very likely, so I think this should do better than how I'm pretty sure it will turn out.
Mallo: 5.5%
I think he'll rank close to how Barbara and Jill did.

Nom:
x2 Shia/Cia
x3 Takamaru!! (is the news worth the re-rate?)
Dr. Lobe and Kawashima are from different series. One is Big Brain Academy and the other is Brain Age.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dr Lobe: 1.5%
I wish there were a good candidate for a brain game rep, but honestly there isn't, and Professor Occipital isn't an exception. He is however not a real person, and therefore far more likely to actually appear in the game, either as part of a stage, AT or even just a trophy. I'd personally prefer Kawashima for those roles, but Parietal PhD is more qualified being a fully fictional character. I do think a BBA or Brain Age stage is fairly likely, so I think at least one of them has a good shot of getting in the game, but if they can get Kawashima's permission I think he has the upper hand over Temproal-sensei...

Want: 5%
As a playable, no, but in the game I want at least one of them to appear.

(So tempted to make a Dr Neo Cortex joke, but it's not a lobe...)

Tantei Ayumi: 0.1%
Nope. Nintendo is not known for it's visual novels, and even trying to expand the demographics I don't think this would do anything...

I wouldn't mind a visual novel character, but you have to pick one that has something to actually work with... at least Phoenix Write has over the top gestures.

Mallo: 3.7%
I think Dillon was the go to eShop rep, and with him gone the rest look very dubious. He's more AT or Stage Hazard material I think. (I did think we were rating Mallow from SMRPG for a second when I read it, but this is slightly more reasonable).

Other X: 4.2%
Shulk's probably in the new game anyway, so I think we all agree he's more likely playable...

Double Cherry*5

EDIT: Message 888!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ayumi Tachibana
Chance:
0%

Out of all the retros, why her? From what I've read, she has no powers or mythical abilities or whatever. Now, characters don't necessarily need these (Captain Falcon didn't Falcon Punch until Smash 64), but it certainly helps to establish some sort of uniqueness or moveset potential.
To me, she is on the same boat as Pauline, Nintendog, and Groose; she is just an ordinary human being with very little to work with. It doesn't help that her series has been forgotten by Nintendo. Heck, she didn't make an appearance in Captain Rainbow of all things.
Her over Takamaru? No thanks.

Dr. Lobe
Chance:
5%

Same percentage that I gave to Dr. Kawashima.
Big Brain Academy is a series that does have some pretty successful sales. However, it seems to be pushed aside for Brain Age nowadays; we haven't seen Dr. Lobe since the Wii game I believe.
The most that he might get nowadays is just Stickers and maybe a Trophy if he's lucky. He's just not that popular of a character and one that isn't highly requested. Although we have Wii Fit Trainer, I don't think that Dr. Lobe is a character that Sakurai would choose.
Want: 10%
Could be cool, but I don't really care.

Mallo Prediction: 4.74%
With the demise of Dillon, the best shot for eShop games to get representation, I expect Mallo to have some pretty miserable scores.
"X" Protagonist Prediction: 8.19%
Thing is, we don't know if Monolith Soft is going to be like Game Freak and Intelligent Systems where they want to use Smash to promote X. Even then, the protagonist isn't going to get the same grace that Shulk has.

Nominations: Dr. Eggman 5x
The music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Dr. Lobe
I know Sakurai is creative enough to create a moveset for this thing but really?
We already got a WTF character with WFT which is FTW

Honestly this character will waste that magical HD we have got even Kirby has more features and hats

Ayumi
Might be a retro addition but some competition there

Want: 5%
Might be interesting and if included I might like the character but for now she isn't something I am interested

Mallo: 5.6%
X protag: 6.7%

Nominations
Bandit x 5

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Ayumi - 0%
It's extremely troubling when Groose has to explicitly recommend we research a character before thinking of rating them. It's perhaps even worse, then, that the linked article mentions that the character in question was actually featured as a Smash trophy in Melee, yet the description of the trophy included numerous errors. If the Smash developers couldn't be bothered to get their facts straight and then didn't include her at all in Brawl, why in the world would she be made playable in SSB4? Considering that, I don't think there's any reason to believe this retro would suddenly be given the spotlight.
Want - 0% - Doesn't interest me.

Dr. Lobe - 1%
Really, this rating is only going by one metric: sales success. Dr. Lobe is the star of a game that sold over five million copies, which is beyond a doubt impressive. He's also somewhat more sensible an inclusion than fellow "brain game" star Dr. Kawashima, considering the latter doctor is based off an actual person. That said, the time of Dr. Lobe's success has long since passed, and he is somewhat redundant to WFT both in terms of being a WTF character and being from a game that promotes personal health. He also just doesn't seem like much of a fighter, but I guess if Sakurai really wanted to he could make something sensible for a moveset. His inclusion would be extremely surprising, but I can't in good faith say it's impossible.
Want - 0% - Seems like a waste of a slot.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Ayumi:
Chance: 0% Trophy in Melee, and music recognition in Brawl. Honestly, that's all I expect
Want: 0% While I like text-based adventures, she's too old for much recognition

Dr. Lobe:
Chance: 8% This really hinges on two things. First, that Sakurai wants to add a representative for the edutainment genre. That's unlikely, especially since this genre was more popular back in Brawl's era. Second, Sakurai does not use Kawashima as the representative. Kawashima is certainly possible, but he does create some legal issues, as well as some creative issues.
Want: 60% I own all of the Big Brain Academy games, in fact, it's the only series that I own completely. While I understand that Dr. Lobe isn't likely, he would give me a great feeling of nostalgia. Plus, he has a really good mustache. I would be happy with him as an AT, because I can understand why Sakurai wouldn't make him playable. Still, I still think it would be cool.

Predictions:
Mallo: 6.7%
X: 12%

Nominations:
Double Trouble x10

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Ayumi

Chance - 0% - Ha. A relativity normal school girl with no combat experience or special abilities? Please.

Want - 0% - Donbe and Hikari would be my choice for text based adventure heroes.

Dr. Lobe

Chance - 0.05% - All I can say is that as he does have the advantage over Dr. Kawashima for being fully fictional. Other than that, there is little chance.

Want - 20% - Would suit Assist Trophy status better.

Predictions

Mallo - 7.65% - Reasonable, but highly unlikely.

X Protagonist - 2.67% - We don't even know his name, and we're predicting him? Why?

Nominations
Fountain of Dreams X5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Dr. Lobe

+++ Big Brain Academy has a respectable amount of sales: over 10 million

- Weird design
- - Edutainment is not the typical genre
- No particular fan demand
- No games since 2007

Dr. Lobe chances: 0.6%
Very low chances. Pretty much all based on the high sales. That said, his chances are miles higher than Dr. Kawashima's, IMO. How Kawashima got 5%, I don't know.

Dr. Lobe want: 40%
Meh. I don't want him, but I wouldn't hate it. Unlike Dr. Kawashima. You may be sensing a theme...

Ayumi Tachibana

Obscure, Japan-exclusive, text-based character is obscure, Japan-exclusive and text-based.

Ayumi chances: 0.25%
Ayumi want: 1%
Nah.

Predictions:
Mallo - 6%
Dillon was a better candidate and we saw what happened to him. I expect some pessimism here.
X protagonist - 10%
Problem here is that Shulk could still potentially be the X protagonist... So I dunno what to predict.

Nominations:
Bowser Land x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom