• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
:rosalina: 60% - I like high learning curve characters.
:4palutena: 0% - Schmeh. Medusa/Hades >>>>>>>>
:4littlemac: 100% - Joy.
:4megaman: 100% - Yep.
:4greninja: 45% - Eh, fine. I'm more of a Hawlucha (sp?) fan myself.
:4wiifit: 80% - A genius addition I'd say.
:4villager: 80% - A well deserved spot. Looks like a fun character with a bit of a curving curve.
:4robinm: 50% - I don't like FE chracters much, mainly because of the fanboy/girl hype swirling around them to go along with their generic anime looks. At least he looks to play significantly different than the others.

:4pacman: 100% - YES.
:4lucina: 0% - This rating brought to you by the original Marth clone, Roy.
:4mii: 85% - I find myself liking them a lot more than I probably should.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
:4littlemac:Little Mac: 80%
I don't ever see myself playing him and I'm not all that interested in his game, but he's a pretty cool addition. He's got an interesting mechanic, potentially very powerful but with plenty of balances. He is most definitely a character of extremes. I don't think making him took a lot of development time, he's pretty short, simple, and to the point. It could be argued that his moveset is generic, but there's only so much you can do with a boxer, so it works thematically.

:4greninja: Greninja: 100%
This guy was a total surprise to me. I didn't think Sakurai would have enough time to include a representative from X and Y. I love everything about this guy. His playstyle, his model, his moveset, everything. He feels so different from most of the other Pokemon reps in that most of them tend to be really floaty (except Pikachu, oddly enough), but he's a fastfaller with great agility. The fact that Sakurai made him from nothing but a piece of concept art is nothing short of incredible. Along with Robin, he's my favorite newcomer by far. Also, he's a goddamn ninja frog.

:4mii: Mii Fighter: 5%
Mii Fighter is the anti-Greninja. Greninja is an excellent concept with an original and inspired moveset. Mii Fighter is bland, lifeless, and has what is in my opinion the worst moveset in the entire game, vets and newcomers included. The sad part is that they could have actually drawn inspiration games that revolve around Miis. Instead, they got generic movesets from god knows what. To top it all off, their half-assed customization mechanic renders them unusable in online and competitive play. The Mii Fighter was a total waste of development time and budget that could have been spent on a much more worthy character (read: literally anyone else).

:4palutena: Palutena: 75%
I could see Kid Icarus getting another rep given the popularity of Uprising, but I would've preferred Medusa or Hades. Still though, Palutena does make sense. I do worry about her being OP, but it looks like she'll have poor KO ability overall, so I think it'll work out

:4pacman: Pac-Man: 30%
I never doubted that Sakurai could make a moveset for Pac-Man. What bothers me about his inclusion is his relevance. Pac-Man hasn't really been relevant since the 90s. I get characters like G&W being included, but that's because he's relevant to Nintendo history. 3rd party characters should have relevance both presently and historically imo, and Pac-Man is severely lacking in the former.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Mac: 75% He's cool and stuff. He's way strong on the ground, which would probably work well with my playstyle, but I don't think I like the character enough to main him.

Greninja: 95% If I could have a Pokemon in real life, it'd be a Froakie. And Greninja is just as cool as Froakie. And thankfully, the Smash Bros version of Greninja does him some serious justice. Greninja looks badass and I'll probably get plenty of playtime out of him

Miis: 25% They would have a zero if Sakurai didn't put them together so well. Still don't like them though.

Palutena: 50% My expectations for her were so much higher. I feel like she's really bland. I don't like what I've seen from her moveset thus far.

Pac Man: 70% I definitely won't play him too much, but Sakurai did a great and creatice job of implementing Pac Man into Smash Bros. Hats off to Sakurai and the dev team's creativity.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:4littlemac: 100%
No change. Still looking forward to play him.

:4greninja: 65%
Down a bit. Too random. Like his substitute, but overall just smacks of advertisement. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but his inclusion just seems cynical to me. Still quite a cool Pokemon, and far more interesting to me than Zoroark(his illusion ability wouldn't have worked guys) or Genesect. Would of preferred Meowth, but that's the old pipe dream creeping in again.

:4mii: 55%
Down quite a bit. Last time I was blown away by the fact they weren't as awful as I was expecting...so much so that I totally negated to realise that they took the dev time of at least three characters...but since I'm sure they'll be able to be a wooden spoon prize for many people who wanted characters like Layton.

:4palutena: 40%
Down 10%. Still don't get the hype. The 12 unique moves thing just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth frankly. The trailer barely told us anything about her; the best bits being the bits where she wasn't even in it, which was pretty disappointing for a newcomer trailer; and we still don't know her default moves.
Her model appears a little too stoic compared to what I've heard of the character, and considering it was Sakurai who breathed life into her I am surprised by this. Hoping this is changed by the release date as I am apparently not the only one who found it peculiar at just how expressionless she currently is.

:4pacman: 100%
No change at all. The perfect 3rd party addition to go with Sonic and Megaman. His moveset is interesting, and he's pretty expressive. I appreciate him using his old school sound effects and can't wait to chew through the other newcomers with him. Still hyped for my first Mario Vs. Sonic Vs. Megaman Vs. Pac-Man battle, and he's definitely going to be a character I'm going to strive to master.

Current ranking:
  1. :4pacman: 100%
  2. :4robinm::4robinf: 100%
  3. :4littlemac: 100%
  4. :4villager: 100%
  5. :4megaman: 95%
  6. :4greninja: 65%
  7. :4lucina: 55%
  8. :4mii: 55%
  9. :rosalina: 50%
  10. :4palutena: 40%
  11. :4wiifit: 10%

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You know, wouldn't it be easier to just get straight to the point instead of making these elaborate Phoenix Wright references?
Sir, I am disappointed that you do not enjoy those. :p

j/k. Groose's Ace Attorney posts are a part of this thread's charm. While getting straight to the point would work, this works even better. There is no kill like overkill.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Little Mac: 50%
Indifference again. I like aerial fighters.

Greninja: 90%
They nailed it.
While Greninja isn't gimmicky, he is himself and fun and Sakurai nailed every detail.
I would love to land a Shadow Sneak to get them off stage with a Water Shuriken a la Piplup, only to Bounce on their heads.
Might be my fav newcomer, although I never played Pokémon (which is the -10%)

Mii Fighters: 75%
That's -25% for not being able to use them online against Anyone.
I just don't see purpose in them if I can't bring them online.
They are perfect without that.

Palutena: 60%
Trailer hype was bad, but Palutena seems fun to play as, so it's not complete indifference.
Also giving the benefit of doubt to see if the default specials are the fun ones.

Pac Man: 63.5%
Same with Villager, I'm on the edge.
At one side I feel a need to play as one of the guys I supported, (ab)use the Side B and UpB (Make opponents helpless by jumping two times on the trampoline to let it function as a trap!) and play a non-gimmick character.

At the other side, I don't like how he has been handled, with his sprites and spray-tan. (Seriously the guy is almost orange now)
The sprites wouldn't have bothered me if they moved or seemed to be living (or afterliving, in te case of the ghosts)
Now it feels like they are glorified cardboard cut outs of our favorite ghoulish foes.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sir, I am disappointed that you do not enjoy those. :p

j/k. Groose's Ace Attorney posts are a part of this thread's charm. While getting straight to the point would work, this works even better. There is no kill like overkill.
Oh, I do enjoy those. I was just pointing out that such posts would take an unnecessary amount of time to complete for the sake of making a single point. It was something of an attempt to be humorous.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:4littlemac:Little Mac: 75%
At this point Little Mac is probably the most important inclusion outside of Mega Man, and he's by far the strongest Nintendo inclusion for the game. However, with actual gameplay of him he looks... bad, like really bad. His moveset is cool and imaginative, and he's going to work fine in casual play I'm sure, but if they don't tweak and fix him up a lot he's so dead in competitive play.

:4greninja:Greninja: 90%
Greninja is the exception, he's the one unique newcomer I'm interested in actually playing. As a character inclusion in himself he isn't that great, he's one out of three starters and there's nothing that stands out about him, I say that as someone who picked him and think he's one of the only good new additions in Pokémon X & Y, but I don't think we needed a Pokémon newcomer. Despite all that he actually looks fun, he isn't dragged down by any gimmicks, he has a fairly straightforward moveset and that's great. Still, he's not going to be anymore than a potential alt for me, so he's not going to reach the 100%.

:4mii:Mii Fighters: 15%
Last time I gave them 100% on the sole merit that they're not playable with anyone online. I'm still incredibly happy about this, but with all these new updates on them, man did they take a lot of development time away from better things. So eh, I'm very happy I won't have to fight a guy's self-insert Mii online, but they should have only had one moveset, they're kind of a disaster honestly.

:4palutena:Palutena: 0%
Thought I disliked Rosalina in the last rating? Well, Palutena gets my reward for the worst newcomer yet. Her voice and personality already immensily annoyed me from just the trailer, so that's already a big minus. The biggest thing about her is her moveset though, with how much people were hyping her up I was expecting her to have some great potential, but it seems her moveset is all lasers and nothing else of interest, which is just extremely bland imo.

:4pacman:Pac-Man: 20%
Gotta admit, while I was never excited at all for Pac-Man he brought in more than I thought he would. Still, when people couldn't give me better moveset ideas than eating and bouncing on his butt that's not hard to beat. Either way I still don't fancy him very much, but the slight surprise in his moveset is enough to bump him up just a bit, plus his trailer music was pretty radical.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Palutena: 100%
The negativity she's getting here is very disappointing.
The Sakurai favoritism nonsense is just bull****.
If Sakurai was a Fire Emblem director, or one for Mario, or Pokemon, people would be saying the same exact things. One of the points of this series is to give love to the Nintendo series and games. But when he does it to his own series, that's when it gets noticed and complained about. Plus, does he not deserve some perks for being the creator of this series? Have a heart, he's a hard-working man.
But on to Palutena, I'm excited to customize my own Palutena, I can already tell I will have a lot of fun with that. And, well, she was my 3rd most wanted newcomer overall so I was bound to be satisfied regardless, but they really did make her look great. And as each pic goes by her model looks better and better to me. And she seems to already be becoming more expressive, just as I was hoping. I have no complaints except...
SAKURAI!YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL, WELL-LOVED NEWCOMER FROM YOUR OWN SERIES WITH AN UNKNOWN MOVESET. WHY WON'T YOU GIVE HER UPDATES?! SHE NEEDS THEM MORE THAN ANY OTHER CHARACTER YET SHE HAS RECEIVED THE LEAST AMOUNT EXCEPT FOR C FALCON. HELL, SHE WAS ANNOUNCED THROUGH A CCOMMENT ON MIIVERSE! SHE DIDN'T EVEN GET HER OWN POST! GIVE ME MORE PALUTENA! ROSALINA MADE INTO MORE PIC OF THE DAYS SINCE PALUTENA'S REVEAL THAN PALUTENA...
Hehe... I guess that bugged me a little bit more than I thought. Oh well. Can't blame him now, because of the Lucina and Robin updates... But for a month there...
Moving on.

Greninja: 91%
I mostly just like him cause mah friends like him. He's cool. Didn't support him before he was revealed at all but he was a great surprise.

Pac-Man: 89%
If you had asked me a couple of days ago this would have been much higher but my appreciation has started to fall again. Very interesting though.

Little Mac: 59%
My interest keeps on falling. I supported him, but expected way too much out of him and I'm mostly to blame for that, but it does make me less satisfied.

Mii Fighters: 1%
1% for not having a generic sports moveset

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
:4greninja: - 100%. An awesome Pokemon executed perfectly. I doubt he'll be available from the beginning sadly, but if he were he'd definitely be the first character I'd use. He looks like loads of fun.

:4littlemac: - 85%. I loved his games and Sakurai has done a great job in giving him a faithful moveset. I enjoyed both the original Punch Out and the Wii version (missed the arcade version and Super Punch Out sadly), so I'm really happy to see him included. My only concern is that he won't be very feasible due to his poor recovery.

:4palutena: - 50%. I don't dislike Palutena, but I can't really find it in me to care about her. She had a pretty underwhelming reveal trailer compared to the others we've seen, which doesn't help. I'll give her a fair chance and see how she plays, but I don't expect much.

:4mii: - 50%. Miis were always an inevitability for Smash. It was only a matter of time, so I was very relieved to see them done as well as they were. My only real complaint is that all their moves seem cherry-picked from other characters. But even that isn't enough to make me actually dislike them. Not until I try them for myself.

:4pacman:- 90%. Prior to his reveal, I really disliked the idea of Pac-Man in Smash. I fully understood that he was likely and that he had a good reason to be in, but I just didn't see him working. One reveal trailer later and I'm completely sold on him. He looks like a really interesting, fun and well-implemented character. I doubt I'll play him all that much, hence only 90%, but I like him a lot more now than I used to.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
:4villager: 80% - Makes a ton of sense and I love the internet meme, but I am meh towards Animal Crossing
:4megaman:90% - Looks very cool and has an interesting moveset,
:4wiifit:90% - :troll: I love this choice
:4littlemac:90% - Again, makes sense and looks fun
:4mii:50% - Idk, they aren't really characters and are meant to look like real life people, and taking up 3 movesets doesn't help, but they were executed very well.
:4palutena:96% - Uprising was excellent and Palutena is a great choice, I like.
:4pacman:92% - I love seeing these giant icons in this game and Pac-Man looks very fun. Very awesome
:4robinm:80% - I played the demo but he doesn't really have that epic look compared to other FE characters, but his moveset clearly shows that he was the best Awakening character without a doubt.
:4lucina:60% - She looks to have an interesting character, but she is a clone. However she looks to have taken up almost no extra development time since she was planned as a costume anyway and I hope other characters get the same treatment
:4greninja:99% - Favourite non legendary pokemon, favourite Kalos Pokemon, Third favourite overall, ALL MY YES!! I just wish would stop using his trailer as a reason for Mewtwo to be playable when it doesn't.
:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:
1000%!!!!!!!!! - ALL OF MY YES!!! MY MOST WANTED! GREAT MOVESET!!! SHE FITS ME PERFECTLY AND SHE LOOKS ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!!
I tear up sometimes when I see her in action, I adored her from the moment I saw her in the Galaxy manual.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
:4pacman: 100% He's one of my most-wanted newcomers. I'm very happy they went with the Pac-Man World design. That's the Pac-Man I grew up with. I love the arcade games and I love how Pac-Man use stuff from Namco arcade games as part of his moveset. He's incredibly unique and I like that he can turn into a limbless sphere like the original game.

:4littlemac: 100% Easily one of my most-wanted newcomers. I grew up playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! on the NES. I've always wanted him in since the Melee days and I'm very happy he's finally in. I really love his unique moves and playstyle. I'm also happy with the pink hoodie and wireframe alternate costumes.

:4villager: 100% Animal Crossing is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. I've always wanted to play as the human villager with tools. I really love how the villagers are very unique with picking up projectiles and cutting down trees. I love that I can play with both male and female villagers.

:4megaman: 100% I'm very happy with Mega Man's moveset. I love how he uses Robot Masters' special weapons as part of his moveset. I've always enjoyed Mega Man games even though I prefer Mega Man X 1-3.

:4mii: 90% One of my most-wanted characters. I'm hyped to play as myself in Smash... I'm happy Sakurai proved the haters wrong and made the Miis unique... but I'm a little disappointed that they don't have crazy random moves from Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Chess, and Wii Party. But at least they are still unique as a gunner, brawler, and swordfighter.

:4robinm: :4robinf: 80% A decent choice for the Fire Emblem games. I'm liking the magic and swordplay mixed together. He/she is very unique unlike a certain blue-haired swordswoman.

:4palutena: 70% My second most-wanted female newcomer after Dixie Kong... but I get it, Sakurai, you love Palutena so much you gave her 12 different specials because you really want to show the world how interesting and unique she is... stop overcompensating.

:4greninja: 60% An unexpected but solid choice for the X/Y generation. It's not Meowth, though.

:4wiifit: 50% I never expected her but at least she's unique and the male trainer is not a separate clone.

:rosalina: 50% I still resent her for getting in over Toad... but at least she's not a clone of Peach.

:4lucina: 0% Identical clones do not add diversity.

D

Deleted member

:4littlemac: 70% Punch-Outs a favorite of mine so it was sort of cool to see him spar up for the battle

:4greninja: 60% Not really a huge fan of Pokemon anymore but he looks pretty neat to play.

:4robinm::4robinf: 50% Indifferent

:4palutena: 30% Don't really care much for her myself & the trailer to me was underwhelming.

:4mii: 5% Seems good that I could beat up something like a Justin Bieber Mii or be the Batman...but the fact you can't use them online is a letdown but whatever, theres only room for one Batman Mii! (:troll:) - Probably my least satisfying newcomer

Last edited by a moderator:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
:4greninja: Greninja: 100%. I've talked about Greninja before but basically he was one of my most wanted newcomers and I never thought he would be playable.
:4littlemac: Little Mac: 82%. I knew little Mac would be playable from the start but I don't know, I never thought he would be a particularly interesting Newcomer. He has grown on me though and he absolutely deserves the slot. Also, the punch is mightier than the Sword.
:4palutena: Palutena: 98%. She deserved the spot, Sakurai did such a good job with Kid Icarus Uprising that he deserves to put in as much stuff from it as he wants. Fight me.
:4mii: Mii Fighters: 50%. I find it hard to rate them because I don't see them as a fighter, but as a character maker. But hey atleast now you can play as any character that you would want to as the Mii.
:4pacman: Pac-Man 80%: I like that Sakurai has done a good job putting Pacman into the game, but I don't really care about Pacman. Even so, I can't deny that he is an important part of videogame history, and it is pretty cool that there is a game where Mario and Pacman can beat eachother up.

All Newcomer Scores:
:4greninja: 100%
:4palutena:98%
:rosalina: 97%
:4robinm: 95%
:4wiifit: 92%
:4villager:90%
:4megaman: 85%
:4littlemac:82%
:4pacman: 80%
:4lucina:75%
:4mii: 50%

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Little Mac - 85%

I don't have any history with his series, but I can respect his importance to Nintendo. Plus he looks fun to play.

Greninja - 50%

I didn't pick Froakie in Pokemon X and Greninja wouldn't be in my top 10 favourite Kalos pokemon. (He might be in my top 20....) So I can't say I care for his inclusion at all.

Mii Fighter - 25%

Not as bad as I thought they'd be, but that's not saying much. It's just another character that does nothing for me.

Palutena - 72%

I like her and she looks fun to play. I kinda wanted her moreso for the Kid Icarus fans than for myself though.

Pacman - 65%

I've warmed to him a little since E3. I appreciate how he can turn into his classic form. (Final smash and regular attacks) I still don't care hugely for his inclusion but in his current form I can't say I'd exclude him either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full satisfaction list:
1. Robin - 100%
2. Villager - 100%
3. Little Mac - 85%
4. Megaman - 72%
5. Palutena - 72%
6. Wii Fit Trainer - 70%
7. Lucina - 70%
8. Pacman - 65%
9. Greninja - 50%
10. Rosalina & Luma - 40%
11. Mii Fighter - 25%

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Little Mac: 100%
Pretty Palutena: 100%

Not just because they were part of my top 3 most wanted, but because they perfected them to the core. Palutena represents more of Kid Icarus Uprising well, and also has custom moves actually worth talking about, besides the Mii Fighters.

Pac-Man: 100%
Because he blew my expectations. I admit it, I wasn’t fond of the idea of Pac-Man joining at first, I was more of a Irving/Klonea/KOS-MOS guy, but the trailer showed me how great of a fighter he can be, and reminded me how much I love the Pac-Man theme. A perfect third party addition, for sure.

Mii Fighters: 97%
3 classes, a way to get almost every humanoid in the game, lets you have new people to fight against when the other fighters start to get old, the only way to give Ganondorf a sword...yeah, I don't see what’s to hate. My only disappointment is the lack of development time used on them. 3 classes? They should have at least 20. Customization should also be at a Tomodachi Life level, so I can make a Chrom Mii :troll:

Greninja: 85%
Him joining didn't exactly excite me as much as others because I never heard of him, but I still consider him a really great Pokemon addition, more interesting than Mewtwo for sure. Now I’m more excited for him after actually playing Pokemon X. He doesn't seem to bring any new mechanics, but regardless he’s a great addition.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac - 85%: I ended up liking him a lot more than I thought I would. I'll admit, I didn't see this character as very interesting at all you can blame the lackluster Crusade Little Mac for that but what I ended up taking away from his reveal is never judge a character until you see them in the game. That's worked quite well for me so far.

Greninja - 100%: I'm a huge fan of frogs. Also, he has that cool ninja run. I really enjoyed playing as him in the demo, and he can summon THIS GUY: :substitute:. No complaints with this character. I don't think he effects Mewtwo at all, but I didn't enjoy using Mewtwo too much anyway, and I mostly want him back for everyone else's sake.

Palutena - 80% (up from 65-ish%): She's grown a bit on me over time. I didn't really like her trailer too much when it happened, but I've come to like it more over time. She's still far from my favorite, but I'm not as displeased with her as I was. I still have no idea why I didn't like her though... Maybe she just wowed me less in comparison to my surprising non-hatred toward Miis, and the incredibly bizarre angle they went with for Pac-man.

Mii Fighter - 75%: I mentioned under Mac that I learned not to judge characters until they are playable. That worked quite well with the Mii. I've never liked the Mii maker too much, it's far too limited for my tastes. At least it has black hair I am quite excited at being able to (sort of) play as Homura using the Mii Gunner, but there is no way that I'll use this character for anything serious.

Pac-man - 90%: My excitement has waned for him over time, but he is still the arcade era god, with that taunt at least. While I wish he was as heavily summoner based as I initially thought, the route they went with him wasn't a bad one, and I don't think anyone predicted it.
Also, he gave me the best emote ever: :4pacman:

I assume we're not rating Lucina and Robin yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Little Mac 87%
Well known , unique , true to his roots. Not the character for me but I can't complain.

Greninja 80%
I'm not a Pokemon person but he looks awesome. I can see why Sakurai picked him.

Palutena 90%
My second most wanted character. Very curious to find out her default move set.

Mii Fighter 70%
Only gets better with time so by release they might just be an 80...

Pac-Man 91%
I always supported him, although he seems like the newcomer I didn't know I wanted in terms of play style. Love the classic look and can't wait to try him out. Rounds of the real all star aspect of smash

jigglover

Smash Lord
:4greninja: = 91%. At first I was like "Oh my God I hate Greninja why is he in above other Pokemon characters like a Generation 3 rep. or Zoroark!? As I thought about it more and more, though, I actually quite like Greninja as a character. He has quite a good design and actually a good personality. His move set looks like a LOT of fun, too, and it looks like I'm finally going to get another proper ninja character besides Sheik or maybe Lucario, but I see him as a bit more of a 1-on-1 fighter type. He's actually my third-favourite newcomer now. Just behind WFT and Rosalina & Luma, and just ahead of Villager. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to rate my favourites yesterday, so Greninja's my favourite today! ^_^
:4mii: = 0%. I am not looking forward to these people at all. It looks like a gimmick character of a gimmick itself. While yeah, sure, it's kinda fitting for the character, I feel like Sakurai is trying too hard to try and make them into a gimmick, and he is essentially advertising the customisation in this game with a character. They're not even unique because of Palutena.
:4palutena: = 30%. Palutena is fairly important to her series (in Japan it's called Palutena's Mirror), but I just feel like she is heavily nullified by the Mii Fighters. She has decent character, shouting out the names of her attacks just before she uses them and all, but I do feel like someone like Dark Pit or especially Viridii would have been a better idea, with Palutena being a Pit codec call. Sakurai created Kid Icarus: Uprising and pretty much gave these characters their personalities, so it would be perfect for him to write a little dialogue about all of the characters. It would have been a better way to show of Palutena's personality and character anyway. It doesn't even make sense for her to use Pit's special abilities, which is why Dark Pit would have been a better addition, even for the move set that Palutena has. @Admiral Pit bumped this score up to 30% so... well done him? :p. Th codec convo annoyance is now non-existent because of him, and I officially enjoy her character and reveal trailer more than Pac-man's -- just.
:4pacman: = 28%. No one knows any Pac-man besides the classic one, and as such I am actually extremely disappointed about the chosen design of the one with limbs. They used classic Pac-man quite a lot in the move set, but I'm still not too happy about it. Adding that onto the fact that his stage is godawful and I'm not a huge fan o the character itself, I'm afraid I have to score him quite low.
:4littlemac:= 8%. And I'm not very happy about Little Mac, either. His niche is quite interesting, but I play in the air a lot more than on the ground (I love using characters like Peach and Jigglypuff to pick up strong air game combos) and it looks like Little Max won' even have the opportunity to do this. Add this on to his godawful recovery and I'm not actually very happy about his addition as a whole. I feel like he was fairly needed on the roster, but his execution was doing quite badly, which at the end of the day is the thing that you will care about the most. His powerful KO gimmick was a good idea, but it should only fill up when Little Mac is hit, not as he hits others, which also makes me really quite peeved. His stage also looks fairly bland, but I guess it's side and top KOs only, which helps Mac's godawful recovery. He could have been executed better, but I guess not.

For reference, though, I love the other newcomers for the most part. Here are my other percentages:
:4megaman: = 40%. He looks like fun, but I've never played a Mega Man game or know a lot about the franchise.
:rosalina:= 98%. I probably would have preferred another character in theory, but besides Petey Pirhanna, Kamek (though she is 100% a Yoshi character) or possibly King Boo she is very much the most uniquely-playing Mario character and unlike Little Mac or Pac-man I actually really think that Sakurai took a character who maybe didn't quite deserve the slot and made her something incredible. I'm curious as to how well she will actually play, but besides that I love the idea and now I love the character. Well done, Sakurai! :D
:4villager:= 81%. I love the fact that he got representation, and he has SO many different elements from his games represented on his character. I quite like him, but I feel like he will be frustrating to play as because of huge gimping etc.. I still think he looks like a lot of fun to play as though.
:4wiifit: = 94%. WFT looks like a lot of fun too. She is very much an all-rounder character who looks nice and agile, which I do love. She seems to have a lot of combo potential, too! ^_^

I know that the other four don't count because I missed the date, but they're there just in case you want to add them @ Groose Groose , and I wanted to show that I am excited for the game and I don't just hate most of the new characters...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Little Mac: 75%

Greninja: 90%

Mii's: 5%

Palutena: 65%

Pac-Man: 85%

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Little Mac: - 20% - This has gone up since he was first announced. Don't get me wrong I love Punch Out, I just never thought Little Mac should've been playable. He's ok though.

Greninja - 16% - Pokemon is a huge part of my childhood. And like anything, if you have too much it starts to taste bad. I don't really like Gen 6. Greninja especially. I don't like his design. It's creepy.

Mii - 5% - The only reason why they get 5% is because Space Dandy can work as a gunner Mii.

Palutena: 100% - Will be my fave newcomer no matter what at this point, since Robin and Lucina take Micaiah's spot (which I'm ok with.) She looks amazing, and her moveset got a lot of work put into it. I hope she gets codecs.

Pac-Man - 0% - I really don't like Pac-Man at all. Least favorite newcomer out there. He actually has to use the ghosts to attack.... What the heck is that? Who uses their enemies to help them fight in a smash game? It just proves even Sakurai couldn't make a move set that makes sense for him. Plus, the only Namco character I wanted was someone from IdolM@ster which would never happen.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Little Mac: 80%
I do like what they did with the boxing moveset as they managed to incorporate a good number of combinations and moves into him that still made him feel pretty unique. Also, the KO punch is a good nod to his home series mechanic without making it too overpowered. However, his strict preference to the ground, while I completely understand why they went that route, doesn't really fit my playstyle.

Greninja: 100%
Having played with the character, I really like how he turned out. I think his moveset is very enjoyable, and I do like how his battle style has been incorporated into the game. He's definitely a character I'd consider to be one of my mains when the game comes out.

Mii Fighter: 5%
Like I said last time, their implementation is better then I thought it would be, but they still haven't impressed me. Since I already found them pretty bland as characters, it's not helped that they ignored some of their games that could've helped in fixing that and instead giving them generic movesets that highlight the problem I already had with them. Similarly, the exclusion from "With Anyone" is a double edged sword, it's nice to not have to worry about the controversial element of customizing their faces, but the tradeoff is limiting their uses as characters. So overall, I really feel their execution was probably the most flawed of the newcomers, and because of that, they're the least appealing of them to me.

Palutena: 100%
I liked the character in Uprising so I was excited to see her, and I do like how her moveset incorporates the powers from Uprising. So I'm looking forward to seeing how she turns out once we're able to play as her.

Pac-Man: 90%
I was very impressed with how he turned out. Just like Mega-Man, Sakurai took from the best of the character and brought him to life in Smash very well. He still has his classic charm, and he looks very fun to play due to him having a unique and well done moveset.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Little Mac - 88.75%

What can I say? While not one of my top characters and was seemingly executed quite well. As a grounded player in the first place, not having much of an air game doesn't bother me.

Greninja - 49.5%

Eh. Not crazy for him. All I can say is that he better not interfere with Jigglypuff and Mewtwo.

Palutena - 89.5%

If there wasn't any sort of mystery behind her move set I could see this actually exceeding Mega Man's rating. I don't think going the extra mile for customization was also a good idea. Other than that, though? Near perfect.

Miis - 20%

Too much time was spent on these folks. They might have been OK if it was only one move set, but 3 is just way too much.

Pac-Man - 45%

Meh. Not excited at all. He's going to be a broken mess or garbage tier in my eyes. I'm also not particularly enthusiastic about his move-set either. He's better than I expected, I admit, but still not "good" in my eyes.

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
:4littlemac:: 100%
My most wanted newcomer by far.
:4greninja:: 100%
Used both him and Charizard on my Gen 6 team. They're trailer was an awesome surprise, and I can't wait to try him out.
:4mii:: 60%
Still not the biggest fan, but they look much better than I initially expected.
:4palutena:: 95%
One of my most wanted characters.
:4pacman:: 85%
Looks a lot better than I expected.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
:4villager: 80%: Great addition, Animal Crossing is very popular and the Villager is a better choice than Tom Nook by far.
:4megaman: 100%: Pff, obviously, he's the super fighting robot and whoever thinks he shouldn't be in Smash Bros. you are just utterly wrong.
:4wiifit: 40%: Eh, nice, I guess.
:rosalina: 80%: Another great choice, she's cool, she's important, she's unique and popular.
:4littlemac: 70%: Not a huge fan of Punch-Out! but he deserves to be in nonetheless.
:4greninja: 90%: One of the best Pokémon ever made, glad he's in and besides Lucario finally not another Gen 1 rep, jesus, like with FE with blue-haired swordsmen it feels (felt) like if we were limited to just the first 151 out of 719.
:4mii: 5%: **** them. People claim Lucina as a waste of slot but in order to make them appealing to people they had to make 36 variations of their moveset. Like Sakurai said "it would take 9 regular fighters to equal that number of moves" that means that they spent way too much time and money in those things. Totally not worth it.
:4palutena: 99%: It'll be 100 whenever I see some more facial expressions which there sure will be, just look at Megaman now and then.
:4pacman: 50%: Decent enough. Ghoslty adventures' design still sucks though.
:4lucina: 60%: Marth clones are always fun, yeah I'd prefer Roy but this is cool too.
:4robinm::4robinf: 80%: They're amazing, seeing a non-sword user coming from Fire Emblem gets me hyped.

All in all I'm liking the newcomers so far and having clones means even more characters so I'm pretty excited.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
:4littlemac:90%: Never played Punch Out!! But he deserves a slot
:4greninja:95%: Glad were getting a New Pokémon. I liked his trailer (especially the tease of Mewtwo and Pac-Man)
:4mii: 70%: I just hope they don't take up 3 Slots!!!
:4palutena:100%: Great Addition. (Still don't know why she has her brawl model)
:4pacman:100%: Arcade Legend. Now we can finally see Pac and DK duke it out

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
:4littlemac:90%: Never played Punch Out!! But he deserves a slot
:4greninja:95%: Glad were getting a New Pokémon. I liked his trailer (especially the tease of Mewtwo and Pac-Man)
:4mii: 70%: I just hope they don't take up 3 Slots!!!
:4palutena:100%: Great Addition. (Still don't know why she has her brawl model)
:4pacman:100%: Arcade Legend. Now we can finally see Pac and DK duke it out
Palutenas model in this game is actually a unique model made for the game :)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Little Mac: A great choice and a fun fighter. Awesome trailer, great music; 100%
Greninja: Not quite All-Star Level, legit pisses me off at first. 20%
Mii Fighter: It's Me! And all my friends!! 100%
Palutena: The goddess of light looks fun and unique, 100%
Pac-Man: So great I can't even describe it, 100000000% if possible, so it's 100%

Morbi

Scavenger
I had forgotten about Wii Fit Trainer in the last rating; regardless, I adamantly believe that she is the most ideal choice of any Smash newcomer to date. She is the best addition the series has ever seen. I was impressed, quite impressed, with her inclusion once my knee-jerk reaction had subsided.

:4littlemac:: 100%

Little Mac was my most wanted newcomer prior to his inclusion. I had always wanted a character that could actually fight in the roster, and boxing characters are always some of my favorites. His design is immaculate, the only accessory he is missing would have to be the shutter shades. Only then would he be a true dude-bro.

:4greninja:: 50%

Greninja is the newcomer that offers the least; however, he is one of my favorite starters and the only character thus far that I was not able to speculate in favor of (this makes him one of my favorites as he is a constant reminder of what blatantly disregarding evidence could entail). Surprise characters are great, and he was the only surprise character from my perspective as I anticipated everyone else.

:4mii:: 33%

Mii Fighters are not inherently bad. Sakurai's implementation of "Mii"; however, was.

:4palutena:: 75%

I was not completely and utterly convinced that she was my style based on the trailer and unfortunately, her model is one of the worst. It looks as though Sakurai asked the "Palutena leaker" to animate her for him. Still, I am a zoner enthusiast and I expected her, as everyone else did. I cannot complain to much as, at the very least, we have her on the roster.

:4lucina:: 100%

Marth has always been a prevalent character and predominantly one of my secondaries. However, I am not a big fan of his character. As a character loyalist, that is a detrimental aspect of maining him. That will no longer be the case as Lucina offers everything I need. I am a clone enthusiast as well, so confirmation of a clone is always something that incites joy.

:4robinm::4robinf:: 110%

This is only the second time that I have rated a character above 100%. The other time was during "Black Shadow's Want" rating, where I gave him an absurdly large percentage. However, Robin is more than just a character. She is the rebirth of speculation, she is the reminder of Sakurai's creativity and unpredictability (even if I was able to predict such), and more importantly, she is a character that accurately represents her game not only through her move-set, but through her functionality and attributes.

Last edited:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
:4littlemac:100%
I lost it when I saw this guy in, moreso than any other character yet. I love boxing characters, and he perfectly fits my playstyle.

:4greninja: 30%
Ehh, I picked Chespin. If I wanted a ninja, I'd go with Sheik.

:4mii: 10%
The voices from Mario Kart 7 haunt me to this day. Plus they're not allowed in online, so I'll never see them past the 1st month.

:4palutena:70%
My hype dwindled down a bit, but I'm still fine with her.

:4pacman: 30%
If it weren't for Smashboards, I wouldn't have known this guy had any look other than the first game. I really want to be hype for this guy, but he just looks weird. No other explanation.

:4lucina: 80%
As someone who used to main Roy, I'm okay with this.

:4robinm::4robinf: 95%:
The magic knight I always wanted, but the limits seem odd.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
He is still by far my favorite newcomer. His playstile is interesting and I just love his moveset. The KO uppercut reminds me of Ivysaur's solar beam from Project M. A low risk high reward move that you have to charge throughout the match. But the thing that tipped him over the edge for me was his trailer. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't like him nearly as much. He hasn't dissappointed me once and I can't wait to play as him when the game comes out.

Greninja: 0%
Okay, here we go... This just went from my favorite newcomer to my least favorite newcomer, and here is why. When I was watching the smash direct, I was so hyped. There were a few things that lowered my hype, such as Ridley's shadow, but they were so insignificant that I didn't even care. I was just about to celebrate with smashboards, when the trailer started. I saw Charizard and that got me pretty excited. Then I saw something that put my hype levels over 9000! I thought I saw Mewtwo. However, all of my hope was crushed when I saw Greninja. They not only teased my second-most wanted character, but they also revealed yet another undeserving character. I was so mad. I couldn't enjoy the rest of the day. That one moment destroyed an unlimited ammout of hype. Not only that, but his moveset seems uninteresting. I do not think I would play as him much even if I liked his character.

Mii Fighters: 0%
This was a horrible idea. We get not one, not two, but three bland movesets! The miis were unnecessary and were handled bad. The fact that we can't use tham online makes it even worse. Just make the default mii face the only usable one online and poof! Hitler and friends are now impossible online. Also the development time. That alone is enough to make me mad. We have three characters that have 12 completely unique moves each. At least they could have made the customizable movesets clones of the neutral ones like everyone else! (besides Palutena).

I'm fairly neutral on this one, but it is a little above average. Her moveset looks interesting and I think that she will be a fun character to play as. I do, however, think that having the 100% unique moveset customization is a little overkill tho. The sheer ammount of Kid Icarus representation is unhealthy.

Pac-Man: 70%
He is pretty much like Mega Man for me. I don't have a huge attachment to him, but his moveset looks cool, so I'm fine with it.

Overall
Mega Man: 70%
Pac-Man: 70%
Wii Fit Trainer: 55%
Villager: 45%
Robin: 15%
Lucina: 0%
Rosalina: 0%
Mii Fighters: 0%
Greninja: 0%

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
:4littlemac:60%
While I'm not a huge supporter of the guy, I'm glad he made it in and has a good fitting moveset with him.

:4greninja:55%
My first reaction to him being in Smash Bros was pretty salty, thanks to Sakurai making me feel like he was Mewtwo, and me thinking Mewtwo probably wasn't going to make it, but with that worry gone, I started liking him a good amount more. Definitely seems like a fun character, but I would have much more prefered Hawlucha as our 6th gen Pokemon.

:4mii:30%
While I did love their trailer with Iwata and Reggie fighting DBZ-style, I still can't say I like the character. For one, he takes up the time of 3 newcomers to make, which is my biggest complaint about them (besides that I just don't like them) and Sakurai seemed to have a field 2 weeks with them, which really got annoying after a while.

:4palutena: 95%
One of my 3 most wanted characters for Smash 4, I was extremely excited when I saw her trailer, which makes everyone want a Smash Anime now. :laugh:
She seems to have a really good movepool, and she seems to be gaining some personality the more we see her now, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her.

:4pacman: 88%
When he was revealed, I was really hyped about his inclusion, and now that's he's got the best possible design for him, and he's got the best possible moveset he could have too, so I'm really happy about his inclusion.

:4lucina:100%
Also among my top 3 most wanted newcomers, I am really hyped for her inclusion. While I was a Roy supporter (and still am, but as DLC) I was really happy to see her playable, as she's my favorite Fire Emblem character. Along with the fact that she's not Chrom, I really like her inclusion. Also, I seem to prefer clones over the original character too, since I prefered Roy over Marth, Toon Link over Link, Mewtwo over Mew (:awesome:), and now Lucina over Marth, so she's also brings the possibility of new semi-clones to the roster, which I defintely like.

:4robinm:/:4robinf: 99%
I defintely like Robin's inclusion also, almost as much as Lucina's. Robin sealed the deal that Chrom wasn't going to be playable, and he really represents Fire Emblem very well. He was also one of my more wanted characters before he became extremely popular here. :laugh:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
:4littlemac:100% He was my most wanted newcomer overall! So glad he's in :D
:4greninja:100% Finally some more variety other than Gen 1 and Lucario, plus he's my favorite Water Type Pokemon and my starter!
:4mii:75% I can deal with them since they have been with Nintendo since the Wii days and represent casual Nintendo, but I'm not too excited for them for some reason, dunno why
:4palutena:60% She deserved a spot in my eyes, it's just that I dislike her character and personality in KI:U cause I felt she was too mean to Pit and didn't do anything of importance besides giving him limited abilities. So, only a problem I have with her personality wise, otherwise she looks fine
:4pacman:100% Pac-Man was my childhood, Namco overall was alongside Nintendo. This design is awesome, he was my sister's most wanted and I'm happy that she's happy.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
:4greninja: 90% At first glance I disliked his inclusion only because he was revealed in the trailer that deconfirmed my main. Now that dealt with it, Greninja can maybe be even one of my future mains.
:4palutena: 100% Yes! One of the bettler trailers and a great moveset.
:4mii: 60% Meh to me. But I'll enjoy play as Chuck Norris, Mr. Bean, and other funny guys. And that trailer. That trailer...
:4littlemac: 100% Perfect moveset. Fits perfectly. And he deserved the spot.
:4pacman: 80% Never got interested, but he's in, and I'm liking his inclusion.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac: 95% Great interpretation.
Greninja: 35% It's a flavor of the month Pokemon.
Palutena: 40% Look, I understand that if you played Awakening Uprising (whoops), she's amazing. However, many players haven't played that game, and see her as boring/confusing, including me.
Miis: 70% It's not that bad. They represent an era for Nintendo, and they have interesting movesets.
Pac-man: 85% I haven't played his games.

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
:4littlemac:- 100%
Not much to say here, really. He turned out perfectly.

:4greninja: - 100%
You generally feel better about him if you chose Froakie in X and Y :p

:4palutena: -90%
Only 90 because I was neutral on her, but I like her moveset.

:4mii:- 100%
I'll be that guy. Miis took no one's slots, they couldn't have taken as much time as people complain. Their sets look kinda cloney.
inb4ewwclones
Seriously, I feel bad for these guys.
No online? WAI SAMURAI
Online? Que ******** about Hitler Miis.
Wii Sports moveset? Boring!
Generic movesets? Thats boring and 2 much time hurr durr!!1

:4pacman: - 80%
I like him a bit. No problems at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom