• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Little Mac: 0%. What a horrible way to start off 2014 smash newcomers. Could not literally get any worse than this.

Greninja: 85%. Looks like so much fun to play but the line of characters I want to play is pretty long as is.

Mii Fighter: 50%. Indifferent.

Palutena: 100%. ALL THE HYPE.

Pac-Man: 80%. Dude deserved this.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Little Mac: 70%

I never wanted him per say, and he doesn't look like that exciting of a fighter to me. The KO punch I can already tell will be incredibly satisfying to land, but I really don't like his bad recovery. Honestly, the biggest reason I liked his inclusion is because he was a Western requested character, and his inclusion boosted the chances of a certain other character whose also a Western request that would work perfectly as the opposite of Little Mac.

Greninja: 100%

Most hyped newcomer. Robin came close, but I think that was more because he killed the Gematsu leak with him. But one of my favorite Pokemon, one who I didn't even think would have a shot in Smash, is getting in as a playable character? ALL OF MY YES!

Miis: Abstain

Miis look like they took a stupid amount of development time to create, time that could have been spent making many other characters in the game. However, as characters themselves, they look like they may actually be fun to play as. I'm to divided over personal hatred towards the Miis and liking their actual gameplay to give this a accurate score.

Palutena: 50%

*sigh* I lost all hype for Palutena about a month before she was actually revealed, and now that I've seen her, I wish they had taken more of her moves from her actual battle in Uprising. These ones are just taking from the items that Pit used in the game. I just don't like how they implemented her.

Pacman: 100%

I always hated the idea of Pacman in Smash. I never saw any potential in him, and I wanted Rayman and Black Mage in over him. Then I actually saw what Sakurai did with him, and he looks like he's so much fun to play as. Sakurai did everything right he should have done with Pacman, and I love it

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Little Mac: 100%
The most deserving first party character that wasnt in Brawl or Melee.

Greninja: 80%
Really surprised we didnt see this coming, considering how much he stands out of the X and Y crowd. Unfortunately, I still don't like his tongue being wrapped around his mouth.

Miis: 80%
Elijah Wood like to battle!

Palutena: 90%
I really like what they did with her moveset, but they need to work on her expressions.

Pac-Man: 70%
A very deserving character, but I didn't want him in the game that match. I'm glad they used the classic design.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Little Mac: 70%, I like him, don't really care about him though, and since I like using aerials he probably won't be used a whole lot by me.

Greninja: 80%, I don't play Pokemon anymore, but he was my cousins most wanted character, so I was excited for him. He looks like a fun character.

Miis: 0%, the only newcomer that I wish wouldn't have made it. And they used up so much development time *cries*

Palutena: 100%, my most wanted newcomer getting announced for smash was so amazing, her specials look really cool, and I'll have a ton of fun customizing her.

Pacman: 60%, eh I like him but I could live without him, I understand why he is in though, so I'm fine with it.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac: 80%
He was never on the top of my list, as I haven't played any of his games, but I understand why he was heavily requested. After all he is a literal fighter. He's got a very interesting play-style, although it really doesn't appeal to me, as a good air game is important to me. Regardless of how good his ground game ends up being, I don't think I'll ever get very good with him. Plus being the first character to get promoted from assist trophy to fighter is neat too

Greninja: 95%
As an avid supporter of Froakie since the moment he was announced (rather than the MANY people who detracted from Chespin, and especially Fennekin after seeing the final forms), Greninja was awesome to see. I was a bit bummed at first because I thought he was Mewtwo, but Greninja has really grown on me. He's the Gen 6 Pokemon that lends himself to Smash best (aside from maybe Hawlucha), and he's fit in very nicely. He looks like potential main material.

Mii Fighters: 60%
I understand the hate, and while I'm not in love with them, I don't have nearly as big of a problem with them as most people. They had the best reveal trailer, and the heaps of customizability make them look like alot of fun. (Not to mention I can finally play as Reggie). My biggest complaint is that they aren't available online, which makes them seem like a waste of time, but the three character thing is awesome, and I'd be down to see more through DLC.

Palutena: 75%
Saw this character coming from a mile away, so the impact wasn't nearly as big as other characters. I can't really develop a very good opinion on her, because we still don't know which moves end up being her standard moves, and which ones end up being custom moves. I wish we had other characters that had such variety in their movesets, rather than just derivatives over what they actually have. She's a solid character, but if we get a third Kid Icarus character, I'll really start questioning Sakurai's bias, considering how many items and enemies in Smash Run we already have.

Pac-Man: 99%
He was my second most requested character, ever since Melee I always hoped he'd get in, but never thought he could... until I heard Namco was working on the game. The only way they could have possibly screwed him up, is if they used his Ghostly Adventures design, which they didn't do thank God. He looks like a very fun, quirky character. I took off 1% for a minor complaint, being a lack of moves from Pac-Man World 2 in his moveset, as that game is one of my favorite platformers from my childhood. The only one I noticed being the Up-Air. I was always hoping to see stuff like the Butt-Bounce or Rev-Roll in his moveset. Still, he was handled extremely well, and I look forward to play as him, by far my most hyped character so far. (His Wii U stage also looks like it was made in MS Paint, so that kinda stinks too)

Burigu

Smash Ace
:4palutena: - 0%
The only character I'm actually distinctly dissatisfied with. Her trailer was bad, lead people on to thinking Dark Pit has a chance (HA) and also lead people on a mass "GEMATSU IS ALL WE GET" rampage. Which was always just a little bit dumb. Even with :4robinf: alleviating that worry, I'm still not satisfied at all. None of her specials are even hers (in fact, EVEN HER FINAL SMASH IS A COMPOSITE OF 2 ABILITIES), and frankly I would prefer Medusa, Hades, Magnus or even Hades And the icing on the hate-cake is that she's ended up looking a bit overpowered too, just like how Kirby, Dedede and Pit also seem to have been buffed... in other words, Sakurai's bias. So basically, no thank you.
Well leaving my personal bias aside I have to say you put on her blames that you shouldn't.
  • So you dislike a character just because some clueless guys can't understand Dark Pit is not teased? I myself find annoying how some people are still living in a dream and close their eyes to the fact there is more against Dark Pit than in his favor. This yet has nothing to do with Palutena herself.
  • Everybody jumped in the conclusion that Gematsu was real not because of Palutena because she was kind of expected plus those 3ds leaks, I am not sure if the mayority agree with this but it seems Mii Fighters :4mii: were the ones that make the deal to everyone about gematsu or at wrost it was Palutena's, Pacman's and Mii's inclusion and not her's alone, so you putting the blame on only one of the 3 characters revealed at E3 seems like a double standard.
  • So the powers aren't her's? come on for what I read you clearly have played the game or at least have some info about the game, the powers ARE Palutena's, she assist Pit in battle with them, that is why Pit: screams "Lady Palutena" or "Viridi" when using them, you can argue she doesn't use them to battle Pit but clearly those are her powers.
  • When you play as Magnus you don't have powers for use because he isn't in the protection of any GOD.
  • In the japanise version they aren't called POWERS they are called MIRACLES if this isn't more obvious.
  • Calling a character OVERPOWERED from a 3:00 trailer that is designed to HIGHLIGHT the character's strenghs is really flawed, of course they will look powerful, I just can't take serious this because WE HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED HER, so for some pics and videos this one is a bold and baseless claim.
Other than that you can dislike her as much as you want, but some of your reasons to dislike her aren't even related to her. Blame the people or the circustances (Dark Pit, Gematsu) not the character

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Mii Fighters: 20%
Palutena: 100%
Pac-Man: 70%

Little Mac remains the king of 2014 newcomers, with Palutena and Greninja not too far behind. Pac-Man has gone up a bit, while I'm not that likely to main him I do like the character, and I like having the third-party trio. Still don't really like the Miis, and they're still my least favorite newcomers.

My satisfaction order for everyone so far:

1. Villager (100%)
2. Mega Man (100%)
3. Little Mac (100%)
4. Palutena (100%)
5. Greninja (100%)
6. Lucina (80%)
7. Pac-Man (70%)
8. Rosalina (60%)
9. Robin (50%)
10. Wii Fit Trainer (30%)
11. Mii Fighters (20%)

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well leaving my personal bias aside I have to say you put on her blames that you shouldn't.
  • So you dislike a character just because some clueless guys can't understand Dark Pit is not teased? I myself find annoying how some people are still living in a dream and close their eyes to the fact there is more against Dark Pit than in his favor. This yet has nothing to do with Palutena herself.
  • Everybody jumped in the conclusion that Gematsu was real not because of Palutena because she was kind of expected plus those 3ds leaks, I am not sure if the mayority agree with this but it seems Mii Fighters :4mii: were the ones that make the deal to everyone about gematsu or at wrost it was Palutena's, Pacman's and Mii's inclusion and not her's alone, so you putting the blame on only one of the 3 characters revealed at E3 seems like a double standard.
  • So the powers aren't her's? come on for what I read you clearly have played the game or at least have some info about the game, the powers ARE Palutena's, she assist Pit in battle with them, that is why Pit: screams "Lady Palutena" or "Viridi" when using them, you can argue she doesn't use them to battle Pit but clearly those are her powers.
  • When you play as Magnus you don't have powers for use because he isn't in the protection of any GOD.
  • In the japanise version they aren't called POWERS they are called MIRACLES if this isn't more obvious.
  • Calling a character OVERPOWERED from a 3:00 trailer that is designed to HIGHLIGHT the character's strenghs is really flawed, of course they will look powerful, I just can't take serious this because WE HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED HER, so for some pics and videos this one is a bold and baseless claim.

Still won't change my rating though

Burigu

Smash Ace

Still won't change my rating though
That is your attemp to answer valid points? I am dissapointed, I expected more from you than this troll attemp AND I never asked you to change your score, I just pointed out your reasons to dislike her aren't even related. Putting the blame on her and not on Miis and Pacman about gematsu? yeah it's better to go ahead and simply say you don't like her.

All I see now is that you can't back up your claims, and prefered to go the cheap way and pretend I didn't make any actual point

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Little Mac - 60%
Greninja - 80%
Mii Fighters - 80%
Wasn't looking forward to them at first but they have grown on me. I like the idea of using some of my miis as characters.
Paulutena - 70%
Pac-Man - 10%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Mii Fighters: 40% if only due to the fact I can play as Hitler (yes, I am horrible)
Palutena:100%
Pac Man: 100%

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Little Mac: 100% Best newcomer yet!
Greninja: 90% Best Kalos starter ever! Also has a great moveset.
Mii Fighters: 10% Would be 0, but I can beat up Justin Beiber. A waste of development time.
Palutena: 100% Awesome newcomer!
PacMan: 75% Better than I expected.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Rosalina: 100%
Duh. This is never changing.
I thought she'd make the perfect character, fresh and unique,
And she did.
The complaints against her are hilarious. "She's too unique and that's just annoying!" Lol, cry about it.
Also, I'd like to give a shout-out to the Toad supporters out there. It seems like you have all looked at what you got and have been able to accept it, and have even come to like it. It seems as though the Bowser Jr fans felt entitled to receive the character they wanted and only that character. It makes me sick to see that. I see the opinion on Rosalina rising each time from Toad supporters, but the Bowser Jr supporters always rank her the same. It's always the same few people giving her 0s. Anybody who thinks that way deserves to be upset IMO.
Wii Fit Trainer: 88%
Messed around with Wii Fit with a couple of friends recently and that made me appreciate her addition much more than originally. I love the fact that they were able to create a moveset that made sense for her of all people. I also like the male alt.
Villager: 72%
A good pick, but he doesn't interest me as much as most of the newcomers. I like the swaps though.
Mega Man: 75%
Looked low-tier in the demo but I'm not going to let that hurt my opinion of him much.
I'm not like with Rosalina. Sure, I'm jealous of her getting in, but I still like her and what Sakurai has done with her. Not all Bowser Jr. fans are like that.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
:4littlemac:Little Mac: 100%
One of the newcomers I really wanted. His trailer was awesome and his moveset is amazing. I like his play style and might even main him.

:4greninja: Greninja: 88%
I like Greninja and I used him in Y. He was very unexpected, but over the months he has gotten better.

:4mii: Mii Fighters: 25%
Interesting gimmick, but that's it.

:4palutena: Palutena: 90%
Wanted her and she has a good moveset, but her extra moves seem like a waste of development.

:4pacman:Pac-Man: 100%
He's an excellent addition. Glad they went with his Pac-Man World design.

Groose

Smash Champion
All I see now is that you can't back up your claims, and prefered to go the cheap way and pretend I didn't make any actual point

I'm not going to back him for ignoring your argument.
Nor will I deny that you made some solid points.
I tend to agree with what you said, to tell the truth.

But that's enough for today, amigo.
The statement I quoted is liable to start an argument.
Not a debate about Palutena, but a more personal argument.

We've had a rather pleasant last few days.
Despite having the scales tipped in a new direction, things have remained rather normal.
I suggest that you not let love for your character lead you to break this peace.
If you're bitter about his preferences (and the questionable reasoning behind them), then I suggest...

You drain it all down right now!

...and you can listen to this awesome song, too...
Yeah, but just a note to everyone--this is the part of the game where there really shouldn't be any arguing whatsoever. Whereas chances do take into account hard evidence, satisfaction is entirely subjective. If other people don't really like the same things you do, then you should just accept it and move on with things. Personally, I'm a bit salty that Lucina defeated Wii Fit Trainer in satisfaction because I strongly disagree with that notion, but I'm not going to try to argue with people over the point, and I wouldn't have even let my disappointment be known were it not to illustrate this point. I'm just going to accept it and move on with things from there.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Little Mac: 84% - Not much to say, he's really cool and he fits my play style perfectly.

Greninja: 37% - Sorry Greninja fans but he simply doesn't excite me. I've always found Greninja to be a little odd with the tongue scarf and water Shurikens.

Mii Fighters: 91% - They're getting about a 20% increase from last time. A week or so after they were revealed I started creating multible Mii's in preparation for SSB4, trying to come up with as many imaginative designs for my Mii fighters as possible. I had a lot of fun and it reminded me of how much I enjoy customization in video games. Some people have pointed out how the development time spent on the Mii's could steal time from other potential newcomers. I will agree that this is a very valid reason to hate them, but I personally would like to see how good the final roster is before I start worrying about who could of had a spot.

Palutena: 46% - I can't really explain why I find her so underwhelming. A lot of her moves felt kind of out of place and I still feel that her trailer was too corny.

Pacman: 75% - There's something extremely exciting about having the legendary gaming icon in SSB. He looks like so much fun to use.

My ratings will probably change significantly once I actually get a chance to play the game and try out these characters myself.

For now my rankings are as follows:
1. Robin
2. Mii Fighters
3. Rosalina
4. Little Mac
5. Pacman
6. Wii Fit Trainer
7. Mega Man
8. Lucina
9. Palutena
10. Villager
11. Greninja

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace

Despite having the scales tipped in a new direction, things have remained rather normal.
I suggest that you not let love for your character lead you to break this peace.
If you're bitter about his preferences (and the questionable reasoning behind them), then I suggest...

Yeah, but just a note to everyone--this is the part of the game where there really shouldn't be any arguing whatsoever. Whereas chances do take into account hard evidence, satisfaction is entirely subjective. If other people don't really like the same things you do, then you should just accept it and move on with things. Personally, I'm a bit salty that Lucina defeated Wii Fit Trainer in satisfaction because I strongly disagree with that notion, but I'm not going to try to argue with people over the point, and I wouldn't have even let my disappointment be known were it not to illustrate this point. I'm just going to accept it and move on with things from there.
I am honored to got this treatment, I would favorite this post if I could, thank you for taking your time to do this.

On a side note, I leave aside my personal love for Palutena when I replied him, when this is all about how I like a character then I go all the way with the bias. But when coming to an argument I leave bias aside, because after all I like and want to be objetive, I am a fan of a good and intelligent interchange of ideas.
I apologize if I made the impresion it was personal because it wasn't, I just felt a bit angry that I took my time to make a good comment only to get sarcastically ignored.

I wasn't going to continue that argument so be at peace with me, I really enjoy this thread and as long as we can keep doing this I will do my best to keep things nice.

Thank you again you put a smile on my face, really nice jazz!

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Little Mac- 0%
Greninja- 50%
Mii Fighters- 10%
Palutena- 100%
Pac-Man- 90%

Pac-Man and Palutena are my favorites of this batch with Palutena on the lead of course. Little Mac and Mii Fighters are the least impressive to me, and Greninja is just kind of there.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:4palutena: - 100%
Even now, she's still my all-time favorite (and the only newcomer I wanted) with her trailer still being my favorite. I've grown to like her utilizing the KI:U Powers much more than I thought (I originally wanted more moves from her boss battle). Since Pit learned how to use those Powers from Palutena in Uprising and that Pit utilizes weapons, why not the one who created the powers use them? Plus it's quite the magical trait that I've wanted.
Did I mention I love her dash attack being a shield bash move? That's actually a first for Smash. Add that with some staff attacks and interesting moves. So let me go down a few moves.

-U-smash: That amazing range, and looks beautiful.
-F-smash and D-smash: Wing attacks! I never knew she could even bring out wings.
-Dash attack: That shield bash.

Powers time (specials/custom specials)!
-Heavenly Light: May not make opponents flinch, but that range is still amazing. Maybe a stage with a lot of walls and such will make this more useful.
-Explosive Flame: Why not?
-Warp: Faster, but damage-less Farore's Wind.
-Rocket Jump: Close-ranged explosive goodness. Potential OoS Up-B (like Bowser's) anyone?
-Reflect Barrier: Reflector and damages/flinches opponents on contact. I'm definitely gonna use this.
-Autoreticle: Combining a power with Palutena's projectile from her battle, surely great.
-Jump Glide: I just like it.
-Counter: I know counter is a common move in Smash, but I still like hers best.
-Super Speed: Great mobility to make up for her slow running speed, and can damage opponents on contact.
-Angelic Missile: Seems like a double-edged ramming move, but likely one of her powerful moves.
-Celestial Fireworks: Using fireworks to own ppl (and I saw invincibility frames from using it). It's amazing.
-Lightweight: You're too slow, Sonic! Oh, what kinda fun meme this had become. Speed of Light > Speed of Sound.
-Black Hole + Mega Laser: Her Final Smash (name pending), being the first official Black hole, coupled with an epic laser. My 2nd fave Final Smash, beaten only by Pit's.

And that's just the surface of the moves I know and/or like. Her customization also makes her look interesting, being the other one besides those... Miis... that have custom specials that are different from each other. Like in KI:U, you choose your set of powers and decide on what you need. For this game's case, though we don't know which specials will be which move just yet, but I'm sure customizing Palutena to fit your style will be amazing and strategic, but also makes her very versatile depending on what you choose.

Overall, she was the one I was hyped for, still am. I just wish we'd get more PotDs of her, let alone informative ones so I can study her moves. Power to the graceful Goddess of Light!

:4littlemac: - 50%
Still kinda indifferent. Back then, I kinda was disappointed due to my episodes of being impatient bout waiting for Palutena. I personally don't care about him. My only quarrel about him is that KO punch thing. I know it's his mechanic, but one thing I never liked were OHKOs or 0-death methods creating imbalance. I know there was a demo vid showing someone barely surviving it at 0%, but still... At least his air game and recovery are terrible to make up for his brutal ground game.

:4greninja: 50%
I disliked him at first for the same reason as Mac during my "Waiting for Palutena" episodes, as well as the fact that he was very common in the 6th gen choice, but I guess it was for the better as far as the 6th gen rep goes. Delphox (though I liked it the most) probably wasn't possible due to Charizard's popularity, and Chestnaught... he didn't seem popular compared to the other 2.

:4mii: - 0%
I still hate the ideas of Miis. I know the 3 variants have a variety, but still, having 3 slots for a character choice I've always dreaded just seems ridiculous. At the same time, them not being allowed on random online matches (I assume because of some inappropriate Miis out there) also is a turn-off, not that I ever liked em anyways. Sure, they went all out with telling us info and giving us a lot of PotD for them, but it was too much and annoying to me as well.

:4pacman: 0%
Still dislike Pac-Man. I know he's a mascot and all, but many ppl I know probably wanted him in just for the sake of 4-way mascot battles instead of liking the character. Unfortunately he's in, and I don't like it, but at least he isn't the worst choice. Maybe with him around I don't have to see Snake again, but I won't know if I hate him more than Snake or not.

And there's my input. Go Team Skyworld! <3

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Palutena's trailer is the only one that has shown all of her 12 specials, which makes it no worry to guess what they are.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
First time posting in this thread alright

Little Mac: 100%, In my Elite 4 with Mega Man, Mewtwo, and Ridley. Love the way he looks to play and honestly looks to be a character that requires a lot of thought to play.

Greninja: 70%, Looks like a fun really fast character, a bit generic plus he wasn't my starter (Forever Chesnaught), although if Mewtwo's in I think those two are the best choice for Pokemon's newcomers, my score will go down if no Mewtwo.

Mii Fighters: 20%, I only really like them based on some of the weird faces you can give them as a joke, but that doesn't stop them from ultimately being a retread of Mario, Link, and Samus by the looks of things, plus no online outside of friends with them.

Palutena: 40%, I was in the "I really don't think Kid Icarus needs another rep" camp, but if I had to choose a second rep it would be Palutena. I do wish her moveset was more based around her Staff and Shield, rather than firing huge beams because why not.

Pac-Man: 80%, The one rep from E3 that excited me and the fact they went with his Pac-Man World design is icing on the cake. I don't have too many memories of him, but my cousins really like him as they grew up with him, so I'm happy for that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

You know, wouldn't it be easier to just get straight to the point instead of making these elaborate Phoenix Wright references?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:4palutena: - 0%
The only character I'm actually distinctly dissatisfied with. Her trailer was bad, lead people on to thinking Dark Pit has a chance (HA) and also lead people on a mass "GEMATSU IS ALL WE GET" rampage. Which was always just a little bit dumb. Even with :4robinf: alleviating that worry, I'm still not satisfied at all. None of her specials are even hers (in fact, EVEN HER FINAL SMASH IS A COMPOSITE OF 2 ABILITIES), and frankly I would prefer Medusa, Hades, Magnus or even Hades And the icing on the hate-cake is that she's ended up looking a bit overpowered too, just like how Kirby, Dedede and Pit also seem to have been buffed... in other words, Sakurai's bias. So basically, no thank you.
I know everyone has their opinion on disliking a character, but some reasons are just kinda stupid.

I don't have interest in that leak routine, so I'm skipping that.
Not all characters shown in a trailer are playable. Look at Doc Louis in Mac's trailer, or maybe Chrom in the recent one; not playable. For Palutena's case, there's mixed feelings about this, but still, high chances Dark Pit will just be a glorified alt costume for Pit who has a different voice, but don't quote me on that one.

The specials, or "Powers" as they're called... well...
"Perhaps you'd like to see some of the Powers that I've used to protect you?" -Palutena from her Smash trailer.
So yes, it DOES belong to her (that Pit was taught how to do in Uprising). Plus I actually like the powers. Why shouldn't the Palutena use the powers she created?

Now for the other KI characters, and I know each have their wants.
-Medusa: I don't know... I have to skip this one.
-Hades: He's always been seen huge, making me to think he'd be too big anyways (hate to be truthful). And Pit knows this, since...
in Chapter 23, Pit was eaten alive by Hades and being inside him actually happened to be a large stage, with the boss battle being Hades's Heart, was was already larger than Pit as well.
You can try to bring the re-scale the size routine, but it won't work for Hades like it did with Bowser.
-Magnus: Already an Assist Trophy seen in demo gameplay, and I don't see how this character would be anything more than a merge swordsman with nothing unique about him.

Now for your thoughts on her being OP. Don't each newcomer trailer show their respective newcomer more powerful than they really are? Also keep in mind the game is still in development, and therefore things are subject to change. And it isn't no Sakurai bias. The game isn't out yet and again...
"The game is NOT FINALIZED, and thus things are subject to change" I know i say this a lot, but if I had a dollar for every time someone says certain things like that... Wait for the game to be around for like a year or 2, then we'll see how the meta-game works.
I hate to be mean, but most of the Palutena hate I've seen these days just seems to be for dumb reasons, or if the person has not played KI: U (or at least did some research) to know about her.

Other than that you can dislike her as much as you want, but some of your reasons to dislike her aren't even related to her. Blame the people or the circustances (Dark Pit, Gematsu) not the character
Pretty much agreed. Tbh, random leaks that most likely are fake in the end shouldn't even be added as a reason for hating a character.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Megaman: 100%
No Change. He plays exactly the way he should!

Little Mac: 85%
No Change. Plays as he should, but just punching is a bit less interesting than above.

Pac-Man: 80%
-10%. He's not a summoner, but he does still have a fairly cooky cartoony moveset, which suits him great. I think his moveset's a little bland compared to others, but he works, and it's friggin Pac-Man.

+25%. His move set looks great, and while I still think it's a little early for him to appear, but I now know he's one of the big pokémon in the new movie which helps me accept it, they're moving fast enough to win me over... but I still think this game he'll never quite hit the 100%.

Wii Fit Trainer: 75%
-5%. Sun Salutation is annoying me more than it did at E3, but otherwise she's amazing!

Palutena: 75%
-14%. WHAT'S HER STANDARD MOVESET?!?! I won't know if I like her until I find out, she's a character I wanted, but I don't know if he moveset fits yet. Also it annoys me that she's get different moves when Mario had 3 FLUDDS... seriously? Just make one of them the Tornado, even if it's not standard, everyone would be happy!

Villager: 65%
+20%. I still think his moveset's possibly a little too disjointed, and the Lloyd rocket is dumb... but with more analysis I think he does have more to work with, and doesn't look vBrawl Wario levels of obnoxious and unfun to use anymore... I'm skeptical, but he was one of my most wanted, and I'm not being as harsh on the moveset.

Robin: 65%
See Yesterday. The Levin sword breaking is worrying, but I guess we'll see. The tomes having ammo make perfect sense to me, and feels natural with comparison to some other fighting games I've played... so ya, I'm sure it'll work. Considering how little I card about FE characters it's impressive he's sat alongside one of my most wanted and Roslina's amazing surprise moveset.

Rosalina: 65%
No Change. She seems better off with the Luma close, missing most of (but not all of) her moveset charm... but it's too early to tell just yet. I also dislike the character, which doesn't help!

Mii Fighter: 45%
-5%. I guess I'm more worried about how much time it took to make them now, still think they're done much better than Miis should've been, but they're kinda pointless in my book

Lucina: 40%
-5%. Another kinda pointless inclusion, a clone, especially as Roy would do it better. She seems even more similar to Marth than I though when I last rated her... still can't hate her, it's just a thing, and I know full well her move-set's pretty good.
So:

Mac: 85%
Mii Fighters: 45%
Crouching Godess, Hidden Moveset: 75%
Pac-Man: 80%

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Palutena- 97%
I get some of the issues people have with her execution. I really do. But a few points:
1) Her moveset might look disorganized because her video's purpose was to basically show off moveset customizations (since hers are obviously more radical than most others). I don't think this is a fair way to judge her. To me, it's kind of like saying I'm not happy with the Villager because his video's purpose was to introduce the games, so we didn't see a whole lot of him. I think we need to wait until we see the actual primary moveset first before we can speculate how she will play. Personally I think she'll be unique without being gimmicky like so many other newcomers are.
2) I highly doubt that was a Dark Pit tease- go back to his day for the evidence. People shouldn't lower her score based on the possibility alone of a third KI character.
3) I don't agree with those who complain about her model. While her moveset probably won't change drastically, her model and animations certainly can. I'd wait until the game comes out to worry about this one. I think Lucina's model feels a bit off, but I didn't really lower my score for that (not to mention you ever really see them close enough for it to really matter that much).
4) At the end of the day, while there are some good concerns about her (especially since we haven't seen much of her since her reveal, leaving a lot of questions)... I can't lower her score by much as it's still Palutena. I doubt most people would drop their Ridley scores by that much if he got in just because his moveset wasn't thrilling or he had his Other M appearance.
As for those who simply don't like Palutena... well, keep on keeping on :p

Mega Man- 95%
Robin - 95%
Villager- 90%
Little Mac- 87%
Don't see myself being any good with him, but he totally deserves to be in this game. I like seeing Punch-Out!! representation. He obviously doesn't have a mind-blowing moveset, but the devs did a good job with what they had.
Pac-Man-85%

The third party selection is simply fantastic. While I a few concerns about how he might turn out, he was treated properly by Sakurai much like Mega Man was. I'm glad he's here.
Rosalina- 80%
Greninja- 79%
A surprise, but he's definitely the best Gen 6 rep. It looks like he plays well, too. While there doesn't seem anything wrong with him, I'm just not personally quite as excited for Greninja as some other characters.
Lucina - 68%
Wii Fit Trainer- 40%
Mii Fighters- 40%
Don't hate them as much as many, but the development time is a real concern if you don't really want them in to begin with. Also, I feel like we've seen too much of them since E3.

Daniee

Smash Cadet
One of only two newcomers (along with Robin) that I can see myself actually playing a lot. Mac was one of my most wanted and his style looks right up my alley, as I love the hard-hitting characters. Can't wait to start KO Uppercutting people!

Another character I wanted a lot was just any kind of interesting Pokémon from Gen V or VI. I like too many of them to have had any specific requests, but I gotta say, Greninja has to be one of the best they could have chosen. Choosing the Water type starter in Pokémon games has been a tradition for me ever since Gen II, so I love seeing one of them make it in. Plus, Greninja just oozes coolness. Admittedly, it might be too weak power-wise for me so I think I'll just be using it for fun every now and again.

Mii Fighter: 80%
I don't get the hate. The Brawler looks fun, I like the thought of taking the Mii I've been using for other games, Miiverse, etc into Smash, and I look forward to messing around with all the customization options.

Palutena: 25%
I'm not a Kid Icarus fan and her style doesn't look something I'd be all that into, so I just can't bring myself to get excited for her. I can appreciate that she looks like a unique character, and some of her moves are flashy and cool-looking, but that's it.

Pac-Man: 75%
I don't have all that much attachment to the character, but I think the devs handled him perfectly. I'm not very sure about his moveset yet; definitely one of the newcomers I'm most curious about trying.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Little Mac: 80%
I knew he was going to be in this game.

Greninja: 40%
He looks cool, and he's the coolest-looking evolved starter in X and Y. Plus he uses water moves and that's cool. Not that hyped for him much though. Seems kinda boring to me.

Mii Fighter: 78%
So stoked for them. I can't wait to customize my moves. Don't get why people don't like them, they look like fun. I also think the decision to make them three separate characters representing different playstyles/fighter types was wise.

Palutena: 95%
I knew she was going to be in the game, and she looks like she'll play well. I never would have made her have 12 completely different specials, but I like how they handled her. I particularly like her Smash attacks.

Pac Mac: 90%
I also knew he was going to be in this game, and I think Sakurai handled him very well. Waiting to put him in this game was a pretty wise decision. I can't see him going back and forth between his normal and pizza self in Brawl, but I can in this game, especially when taking into account this game's emphasis on "unique" characters. I can't wait to play as him.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
My Satisfaction From Little Mac
100% - My #1 wanted Character that got in other than Villager, and he perfectly captures both being a boxer and Punch Out as a series! The pink sweats is just icing.

My Satisfaction From Greninja
93% - He's cool, I like him and his Shadow Sneak, but he's not that interesting mechanically. There were also some Mons I wanted instead (go Joltik or Tyrantrum!), but that's biased. :p

My Satisfaction From Mii Fighters
80% - I love how they pulled the Miis off! Using 3 different classes with their own original movesets instead of just one singular Mii like everyone assumed. I wanted the Miis too, so there's also that.

My Satisfaction From Palutena
75% - I like how her moveset pretty much makes her a playable boss that abides by standard rules instead of health, but eh, wasn't really into it.

My Satisfaction From Pac-Man
100% - Wakka Wakka, son! Pac-Man is exactly how I imagined, with the sprite tossing and dot munch bumrush and arcade sprite Final Smash! My only bit of criticism is that I would prefer the Ghostly Adventures look (or, failing that, the Pac-Man Party look), but the Pac-Man World look is just fine anyway.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Little Mac: 80%. Little Mac is a cool dude, and his trailer was just as cool. The build-up to his unmasking was executed perfectly, and his gameplay (with Doc's encouragement) was solid as well. It's unfortunate he doesn't seem to be the killer I thought he would be.

Greninja: 65%. To be honest, I'm a little bitter about Greninja. His moveset is cool and all, as was his trailer, but...he's starting to look like the new Meta Knight. Let's face it: surely you have seen how someone playing Smash 4 for the first time (and Greninja for that matter) and effortlessly win. He's really fast, he's too fast, just like Meta Knight, to the point where a novice can pick him up and start wrecking everyone else. Also, where's Mewtwo? I mean, I'm neutral to him myself, but they are clearly mocking us with Greninja in place of Mewtwo.
I hope, for the MANY fans of Mewtwo, there is some sort of trade-off for this wait.

Mii Fighter: 0%. This is probably one of the worst design choices in the history of Smash Bros. Why use development time to create three movesets, with widely customizable moves, altered physics, and custom wardrobes...if they can only be used offline with Friends? I mean, seriously, what the hell? Why not have a default moveset to use online? Players can finally use custom characters in Smash but can't use them online, which is a selling point of the Wii U version of this game.
Also, I never liked the idea of Miis in Smash in the first place, and this is the nightmare come true for me. Those undetailed, ugly faces in the gorgeous HD Smash, three uninspired movesets that are ripoffs of pre-existing characters but still eat up time that could be spent refining actual characters...ugh. And this nightmare was unleashed at a time when my E3 hype was at maximum. This is a transgression that was only forgiven with the reveal of characters I personally enjoy.

Palutena: 55%. Funny trailer aside, I am somewhat dissatisfied with this character. She is an embodiment of Sakurai's favoritism towards his own work. She looks to be overpowered, for starters; befitting of a goddess, for sure, but I like a balanced cast of characters, and judging from what we've seen and the fact she have twelve unique specials instead of deviations like everyone else. Of course, I never had an interest in the character to begin with, so...

Pac-Man: 90%. Honestly, at first I didn't want Pac-Man, but that was because I loathed the Ghostly Adventures incarnation. However, I loved the idea of a classic Pac-Man using old Namco arcade games in combat, and what we got was exactly that. His trailer was great, he looks fun to play, and everyone loved seeing him. My only gripe is that he wasn't shown during the Direct, but, then again, perhaps that is a good thing.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
:4littlemac:70% Not a Punch Out fan but I do like his inlcusion and unique emphasis on ground combos.

:4greninja:90% My 3rd favorite newcomer. Had to dot points off him after I heard his voice.

:4mii: 30% I don't like it when are they forced into certain games and overshadow everything online in certain games. Fortunately that isn't the case here and they do get a lot of variety in their movesets but it kind of feels like a waste that they're not included on online random matches. I understand the reasons for it but still though.

:4palutena: 80% Also not big on Kid Icarus but it's nice to see some more females in the roster and her 12 custom move gimmick is pretty interesting.

:4pacman:50% I kind of not wanted him mainly because I wanted a Tales Series character(Lloyd or Cless). But I do get that he's Namco's mascot character that existed before Mario. I'm also glad that anything Ghostly Adventures related is not anywhere near this game.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
:4littlemac: satisfaction: 100%
His moveset is perfect. A counter move, a power-up meter, strong on the ground, weak in the air... It represents him perfectly.

:4greninja: satisfaction: 85%
I've warmed ul to him, despite not initially liking his inclusion. I started to appreciate him when I saw his moveset... as well as liking his design.

:4pacman: 100%
His trailer literally blew my mind. I was expecting him to be based on that horrible ghostly adventures design, and a bland moveset, but he surprised me in every way possible. I love how he is in the game.

:4palutena: satisfaction: 80%
For some reason her trailer failed to excite me - Link and Pit stole all of the spotlight. And the confusing way her moveset was shown. Still, I appreciate the large variety of moves she has.

:4mii: satisfaction: 60%
They turned out to be better than I expected. That said, they did sink in quite a lot of time into them. I don't really feel unhappy/disappointed/mad about their inclusion, as I've already gotten all of mt favourites back in the game.

Well, since everyone is doing lists, I'll put in mine too.
1.:4littlemac::4pacman::4megaman::4robinm::rosalina::4villager:
2. :4lucina:
3.:4greninja:
4.:4palutena:
5.:4wiifit:
6. :4mii:

Order in the first row in meaningless.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Like yesterday I don't see any real need to alter my satisfaction ratings for pre-E3 newcomers; I'll just be giving the numbers and you'd like to know more, please see this post. The actual E3 2014 newcomers, though, deserve a rerate now that a month has passed since the announcement compared to less than two days last time. I'll also rank the full list of 11 at the end.

Little Mac - 100%
Greninja - 100%

Mii Fighters - 100%

I've actually bumped my score up here from last time since I really only docked them for not getting the typical newcomer reveal treatment (no artwork!) and now I'm more focused on the Mii Fighters themselves. This one's still kinda hard to judge given how customizable and otherwise unusual they are, but overall they seem like a great create-a-fighter option that ought to add a lot of extra fun to the game in casual play and seems to have been very intelligently implemented (multiple fighting styles, can't be used online except with friends, etc). I wasn't sure beforehand if I'd like Miis in Smash, but now, I can confidently say I'm all for them.

Palutena - 25%
No change in rating from last time. I'm a bit reluctant to say a lot here after the near-flame war over her earlier this round, so I'll keep it brief: I don't think Kid Icarus deserves a second rep yet, I'm concerned that she has some unusually powerful looking moves in her arsenal (Sakurai bias leading to an overpowered character seems a legitimate threat after Meta Knight in Brawl), and I remain a bit disappointed her model isn't more expressive (not really how I envision the character based on limited experience with KI:U). She's not so bad a choice as to be worth considering a 0% or anything, but she's by far the newcomer I'm the least excited about.

Pac-Man - 75%
The weird part about this is that, all things considered, he looks awesome! I was a bit worried post-reveal that he would rely on randomized mechanics but it seems that the fruit follow a set order and the summon thing is just a taunt. Beyond that, he looks like a lovingly designed Smash character with a fun moveset and tons of personality. So why not rate higher? Honestly, I just don't think I have enough personal attachment to the character to care. Sure, I've played my share of Pac-Man, and I definitely respect his importance to video games and how awesome it is he's in Smash, but even with that I simply am not excited for him. Perhaps being an awesome Smash character will create that attachment? Guess I'll find out upon release.

Updated Newcomer Ranking
1. Lucina
2. Little Mac
3. Greninja
4. Mega Man
5. Mii Fighters
6. Rosalina
7. Robin
8. Wii Fit Trainer
9. Pac-Man
10. Villager
11. Palutena

Lucina easily took the top spot, while Robin, despite being a plenty exciting entry, remains outpaced by his/her competition due to the durability mechanic. Only other shift was Mii Fighters moving up a spot with their rerate to pass Rosalina, who I'm absolutely excited is in the game yet remains a character I'm not all that interested in actually playing. Meanwhile, I'm foreseeing quite a bit of fun messing around with Mii Fighters in my future, even if they're never to be played seriously.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Arrows indicate change from post-E3 or yesterday:

Mega Man: 100%
Rosalina: 80% ↓

Palutena: 78% ↓
The initial excitement wore off a little, but I still think she's a solid choice and she looks interesting. Bonus points for increasing female reps.

Wii Fit Trainer: 78%
Robin: 75% ↑

Greninja: 70%
I'm not that invested in Pokemon choices, but he looks more fun to play than some of the other newcomers.

Little Mac: 67%
I think he earned a spot, but I still feel like punches, punches and more punches is... well, boring. I still don't see why people are so impressed with how Sakurai made it interesting - of course he has to make punch attacks with notably different properties. Aside from the KO Meter, what did Sakurai come up with that's so interesting? Spinning jump punch, lunging jump punch, power punch, counter punch, etc. etc. It's not really rocket science. That said, he did a pretty good job with the limitations of the character.
As an aside, I wonder how many people in this thread have played Punch-Out on an actual NES or SNES (I have).

Villager: 65% ↑

Pac-Man: 50% ↓
He's an icon, yada yada. I don't feel he has a big Nintendo connection, don't have a connection to him, etc. I don't like his design much (not specific to Smash 4, just in general). Pac-Man got big off a simple, early game and then they forced his round body into square holes in order to make him a mascot, imo. A few years later and we get actual character designs like Mario, DK and Sonic instead. Reduced a little bit because the move set looks more boring than I thought at first.

Mii Fighters: 37% ↑↑
My initial irritation has worn off somewhat, they're growing on me a little bit. Still annoyed by the amount of work spent on them but with the demise of Gematsu/47-character-roster-certainty I'm more optimistic that it might not have been at the expense of more important characters.

Lucina: 27%

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
:4littlemac: Little Mac: 65%
I wasn't huge on all the support for him leading into the February Direct, because...I wasn't sure how they'd build an interesting moveset for him. Just like with the villager, I was neutral on seeing him make it, and just like the Villager, I ended up impressed by what they managed to do with him. Who knew you could get so much mileage out of punching things?

Little Mac is another newcomer that feels thematically whole. He's based entirely around boxing techniques, with powerful up-close attacks complemented by ways to approach, shrug off damage, and dodge opponents' moves in order to use those attacks. He sucks in the air and even more so offstage because why would a boxer need to train for that?

He's a very straightforward character...which is why I think I never got that hyped about him. It's important to have some simple characters, but I just like more intricate and complex ones, you know?

:4greninja: Greninja: 85%
Like a true ninja, no one saw him coming. Greninja swooped in to take over the niche of a water user that Squirtle (apparently) left open, and wow, is he an improvement. From his signature Water Shuriken to swords made of water to other Pokemon moves to classic ninja techniques to the memetic photorealistic Substitute doll, Greninja's moves ooze creativity. It's even more impressive since Sakurai himself figured out how Greninja would work while he was still concept art, used moves from a movepool that didn't exist yet (Shadow Sneak didn't make it on the Froakie line at all...yet), and programmed most of his animations in one night.

There's one thing about Greninja that bugs me, though...the voice. I'm not a fan of anime style Poke-speak, and the version used in the demo sticks out like a sore thumb.

:4mii: Mii Fighters: 40% (Hey, the colors match.)
I was against playable Miis because--stop me if you've heard this before--I thought it'd be hard to keep their moves from feeling generic, and it'd feel more like lip service to anyone who wanted to use (insert pop culture personality here) than anything substantial. Once again, I was reasonably surprised by the thought they put into the Mii Fighters.

But unlike the Villager and Little Mac...seeing that hasn't left me feeling that much better about them.

The Mii Fighters feel like a concept that was inherently flawed. They seem to be meant to be a cool little thing to mess around with when you're together with your friends...but with all the customization, it also seems like you have to jump through some hoops to get any given Mii set up. Their movesets are intricate, with highly customized specials...but you can't use them online due to the inevitable offensive-looking Miis. All you're left with is the dedicated players who meet up on a consistent basis who would have greater appreciation for all the customization...but as we've seen on Smashboards, most of them are more interested in customization of other characters. They're the equivalent of a TV show without a demographic.

But...at least they don't carry the title of Harbingers of the Gematsu Leak any more.

:4palutena: Palutena: 75%
One of the most anticipated newcomers, I didn't like the idea of Palutena making it in at first. It actually wasn't for any of the common reasons...it was because she was a goddess, supremely powerful, and any appearance in Smash would be limiting her powers in a way that wouldn't feel true to the character.

That went out the window when Rosalina was revealed.

A while afterward, I learned more about Kid Icarus Uprising, watched Chuggaaconroy's LP of it, and realized that hey, there's a lot of potential in the series that Pit doesn't capture on his own. Once the Goddess of Light made her entrance at the end of the E3 Direct, I was happy to see her. She's another female character, our first staff wielder, and only the third to use a shield. Basing her specials on the Powers she gives Pit in Uprising was something no one seemed to see coming, but it made sense in hindsight. Altogether, she looks really interesting.

The only concern I have left is...with all her zoning abilities, they aren't making her too powerful, are they? Maybe I'm being irrational again, but remember what happened with Sakurai's favorite character in the last game? Remember how the metagame suffered? Notice how everyone wants Meta Knight to get beat half to death with the nerf bat this time around?

:4pacman: Pac-Man: 70%
I was against Pac-Man getting in for the longest time. Yes, I was worried about his moveset. Go ahead, roll your eyes. >_>

But when I saw his reveal trailer, I was blown away by the pure creativity behind his moves. Nearly everything the Pac does is an homage to one of his games or to Namco's arcade classics. He's a third party character that doubles as a retro character. And bonus points (heh heh) to Sakurai and the gang for using his Pac-Man World design instead of the, er...questionable one from the new cartoon.

After seeing Pac-Man in action, I've officially stopped questioning their ability to make interesting movesets for anyone...as long as they don't lend themselves toward being clones.

Sorry, Chrom. >_>

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'd have to say I'm
100% satisfied with :4robinm:/:4robinf:

And about 80% satisfied with the all of the other newcomers, not really ones I wanted, but I like how they turned out.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I always hate trying to get into specific numbers, but I'll have a shot:

:rosalina: 100%
:4palutena: 100%
:4littlemac: 90%
:4megaman: 85%
:4greninja: 80%
:4wiifit: 75%
:4villager: 70%