• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay, so Greninja may not be relevant to the anime yet, but shouldn't that count as a plus? He's one of the few Pokemon who's popular solely because of his design. He hasn't been shoved down our throats like Lucario or Zoroark has in some effort to manufacture popularity. He became popular on his own. He was a fan favorite well before his Smash reveal, and I think resonance with the Pokemon fan base is a far more important attribute than a random appearance in one of the annual anime movies.
I didn't mean the movie, I just meant the anime in general.

I got attached to Pikachu because he's Ash's best friend and always resonated with me as a kid, as I loved the idea of having a pet that feels like a best friend.

I got attached to Jiggypuff for being a sadistic troll in the anime.

I got attached to Charizard because there was a great story arc involving him in the anime, ever since he was a Charmander. He's also in Pokémon: The Origin. Plus, the "Char" family were always a favourite of mine as a result of the former, and I pretty much geared towards Fire Type Pokémon as a result in future generations.

I got attached to Mewtwo for basically being a final boss figure in the game, and having a bit of backstory that was expanded upon in the movies and such.

I admittedly did not know Lucario pre-Brawl but he existed and I definitely see why people fell in love with the guy prior to Brawl. And he's remained a main stay since, having a big role in X & Y too.

Greninja's trailer did not have any real impact for me since he was only really known among people who still play Pokémon a lot, mainly because he apparently is the best starter. However, none of this had anything to do with his inclusion. He literally feels like he had his name picked out of a hat. I don't really see what puts him above any other Pokémon. If Smash is an "All-Star Clash", Magikarp should be in before Greninja.

I like him enough though, personally think he would have made more sense as a secret character. I cannot get hyped for a character that has literally no history at the time of his reveal. To me, Greninja may as well be an original character.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Rosalina: 80%

I expected only one Mario newcomer, and she wasn't at all the one I wanted, but since I got him after all, I no longer am disappointed in that regard, and thus can raise my rating by 20%. She also looks like a lot more fun than I thought she would be, and I'll definitely use her more than any of the veterans or Dr. Mario. Not 100% though because I'm still not a big fan of Rosalina as a character.

Little Mac: 100%

He was my most wanted, though Mega Man and Villager beat him in satisfaction because I'm a bit more interested in their playstyles. Still thrilled he's in though, he was my favorite Assist Trophy in Brawl and one I always thought would make for a great playable character, and Punch-Out easily earned a spot.

Greninja: 90%

Cool design, fun looking moveset, like the Pokemon. I don't have much else to say about him. He's not 100% anymore because besides maybe the clones I think he's earned his spot the least out of the newcomers, but I still like him.

Satisfaction order so far:

1. Villager: 100%
2. Mega Man: 100%
3. Little Mac: 100%
4. Greninja: 90%
5. Rosalina: 80%
6. Wii Fit Trainer: 30%

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
:rosalina:-80 to 90% She has certain flaws that makes her a few steps shy from being an extremely good character. After seeing some of the other character, like Robin or Palutena, it makes Rosalina's metagame seem even higher by comparison, and that worries me. I think a double Rosalina & Luma team would be devastating.
:4littlemac:-65 to 75% This character tends to be extremely relient on sitational types of battle. Nearly every little thing affects Litte Mac in one way or another. He's extremely good on the ground, but his aerial game is a serious detriment to his overall characters. Just by having platforms can change his matchup significantly.

:4greninja:-75 to 85% From what I've seen of Greninja, he's shaping up to be a great character. He's Shadow Sneak seems so good in different battle types, like Free for All, or 1v1, or 2v2.

If the scores are being added up, here's my total:
:rosalina::90%
:4littlemac::75%
:4greninja::85%

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Rosalina: 10000%
Oh man, I love everything about her.
Her character was so interesting in Galaxy. And those epic cutscenes with her-

I came to like her, I just wished she was in more games. I remember when she was only in 3 games... that wasn't all that long ago.
I main her in every game she's playable, this won't be an exception.
Her playstyle looks great too, very powerful. Not so much in strength, but in Luma techniques and combos.
I can't explain her moveset a word better than this guy, so I'll leave this here: http://berathen.com/2014/08/smash-4-rosalina-analysis.php
Her learning curve doesn't make her less appealing of a choice at all. While I mostly main Marth, Zero Suit Samus, and Toon Link in Brawl, I've been playing some Olimar, Ice Climbers, and Diddy Kong lately. I had never expected them to be so good, they always seemed so lame to me, but their techniques are very interesting and I might start maining Olimar in Brawl or Smash 4... maybe.
I love her design too, and how she's noticeably tall. That's perfect for her.
+Looks great (design)
+Playstyle is easily the most unique in the series, and it looks like it will she'll be highly ranked yet not overpowered
+Decent aerial game, has a spike when the hit is focused on the ring and not in the middle
+Long distance recoveries will be very useful if the game's off-screen range stays as far away from the stage as it was in the demos
+Luma and Rosalina are separate entities, with a different moveset, and Luma can be controlled when Rosalina is in stun or is being grabbed
I love all of this, and it balances out well having her stats (Rosalina alone) be similar to Zelda and Mewtwo, and having Luma be easy to KO
Also, seeing her float around just looks so satisfying.
As for her final smash, I don't like it. The Comet Observatory (or basically, what's in the gif above) would have been way better, and the Power Star isn't affective. However, I don't care because I won't be playing with items lol
I couldn't care less about final smashes, as long as they look cool. Which her's does. So... fine.

It's always great to see more girls in Smash too imo (The only Brawl newcomer that was a girl was ZSS, who was mainly a transformation at the time, so that was disappointing, still ended up maining her though :p)

She gets a 11/10 from me in every category. Well done, Rosalina. And well done, Sakurai.
PS... it's still stupid that her satisfaction revolves around Bowser Jr and Mario representation. She's not rep #___! She's her own character with her own moveset, do you even smash bros?

Little Mac: 53%

Falling some more.
I supported him, and really did want him. But they didn't do anything with him that I could get excited over. I always thought his detractors were stupid for saying he couldn't make it in 'cause all he could do was punch. And well, he made it in, but that is all he does.
But guess what his final smash is?
Bigger punches!
Ok, well it's not that simple.
Looking at his specials...
His recovery is a short-distance, vertical twirl of punches. It's useless for the most part.
I can't imagine someone getting hit by the KO uppercut, with the time it takes to build up. Seems like it'd be pretty easy to keep to his back or fight from the air.
His down special is one of the many counters in the game, not much to say here.
I like the Jolt Haymaker though, he'd be screwed without it imo.
His jab is a set of punches, makes sense.
His dash attack has him punching down at the opponents feet, Ok. Not sure how useful that is.
His up tilt has him punch upward, makes sense.
His side smash can switch directions like a less complicated Dancing Blade, I like this.
His aerials look ridiculously hilarious, he looks so out of place up there.

I prefer the air, so this is pretty much how I know he'll be my least played newcomer. Probably even less than Miis.
His pummel is punches, makes sense.
And his Final Smash is Giga Mac, makes sense, looks cool, but it doesn't buff him much. It's not really like Giga Bowser, which I expected it to be like. So that's... eh, who cares? It's a final smash.
Anyways, nothing here really appeals to me except his side special and side smash. That's definitely not enough for me to gravitate towards him when the game comes out. It'll probably be a few weeks of non-stop Rosalina, Palutena, Robin, Lucina, and Shulk playing before I get to the other newcomers anyways.

Greninja: 94%
There are 5 newcomers that I find perfect, they're all character I supported, and loved the result of their inclusion. Greninja is my favorite of the bunch after these 5. I like his speed, quick attacks, and the overall type of set he has.
Shadow Sneak looks amazing. I love Water Shuriken. The Substitute Doll is cute af. And his recovery looks decent, similar to Pikachu.
As for his other attacks, the water swords look cool, I love the tornado affect of his grab, and his aerials look just perfect.
Down air is going to be fun to use... being able to smash down like many others, but then bounce so high up after a hit. That will probably be very useful. I don't know if it spikes though. Also, Night Slash is perfect for him, and looks great.
I knew who he was, and liked his design, but I never wanted him in Smash. I don't think I'll main him, but I'm glad he's here, and would have mained him if other characters I like more hadn't made it.

The Greninja vs Sheik fights will be amazing :shades:
And also Rosalina vs Palutena
And Little Mac vs Captain Falcon... or Ganondorf... or Ike

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
That wasn't in the original Direct her trailer was shown in. That was only added in the standalone trailer.
Huh. I guess I didn't watch it live and I knew it was about Rosalina before I watched the Direct. That was a long time ago so I guess I remembered it more from the website than the Direct.

Oh well.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here we go for the last time.

:rosalina:: 100%
I was playing Mario Galaxy around the time she was revealed, and it was also watching AttackingTucans and Donnabellez doing Mario a Galaxy Versus some time before, it was a perfect Christmas present from Sakurai.

:4littlemac:: 70%
Never played Punch Out, but I still like him. I'd have preferred someone like Isaac or Lyn to be promoted, but he'll do for now. I doubt I'd be good with him since he can't fight in air though.

:4greninja:: 80%
I would've preferred Delphox, but at least it was something Gen 6.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Okay, so :4greninja: may not be relevant to the anime yet, but shouldn't that count as a plus? He's one of the few Pokemon who's popular solely because of his design.
And because of Protean, too :troll:
But let's be serious now.

:rosalina: Rosalina and Luma satisfaction: 80 %
I didn't care much about Super Smash Bros. 4 speculation at the time she was revealed, but when I learned that she was a playable newcomer, I was quite surprised, because I thought that she was far less important than Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser and not likely at all for a Smash Brothers newcomer choice. But really the Brawl veterans are very old characters and not enough anymore to represent the huge and timeless Mario series, so we really needed a popular, fresh-new character placed high enough in the hierarchy of the series, and Rosalina is a smart pick because as the leader of the Lumas she's one of the few characters in the Mario universe who isn't too much of a sidekick (looking at you Toad) or too minor (Waluigi, Daisy...) Actually I think that she's more legitimate than Bowser Jr, and it's probably the reason why he ended up as an hidden character. Also I loved the Galaxy games, they have awesome musics and beautiful graphics, though I'd enjoy Rosalina's inclusion to Smash even more if I cared about the book that narrates her backstory. I can't give a perfect score because with the arrival of Bowser Jr. and the return of Dr. Mario there is probably a Mario overload, but overall she seems to be a surprising and smart pick.
About her playstyle, I didn't play the SSB4 demo, so I can't have a solid opinion, but the Luma mechanic seems to be fun to use, and her moveset looks really inspired. I hope that she won't be too hard to use, and that the gimmick will not make her overpowered either.

:4littlemac: Little Mac satisfaction: 100 %
I still didn't care about the Smash 4 speculation at the time he was revealed, nevertheless I watched the Nintendo Direct in live, and he has the honor to have the first newcomer trailer I watched in live. I was so much indifferent to all the speculation for Smash 4 at the time that I didn't even recognize the flame Smash symbol, and I had not a damn idea of what was this trailer for the entire animated sequence. I did recognize a trailer for Smash Bros. only when Samus got KOed with the typical Smash blast animation, and I didn't remember him either because it's only much later that I remembered his appearance as an Assist Trophy in Brawl - he was probably the one I summoned the least lol, or maybe I didn't see more than a generic boxer in him.
But that doesn't prevent me to give him a 100 % because he was the guy that made me join the Smash 4 hype train quickly after his reveal and because his trailer was still the first one I watched in live. As a fighter, what Marth is to swordplay, Little Mac is to punching, and it's fair enough to say that we lacked a such character. Also it looks like Punch-Out!! is really noteworthy as a Nintendo franchise, due to representing the Nintendo arcade games better than anyone else, so the promotion to playable is deserved. I really don't have anything to say against him, so I give him a 100 %.

:4greninja: Greninja satisfaction: 60 %
Okay, let me describe my live reaction to Greninja's reveal trailer:
> Poké Balls fall from the sky
"Oh, a Pokémon-themed trailer? That's cool!"
> Multiple Pokémon are summoned from those Poké Balls
"It looks like all those Pokémon will potentially appear from Poké Balls in battle"
> Charizard Fires It Up!
"Solo Charizard? So predictable"
> A silhouette appears on the dark
"Oh yeah! Mewtwo returns!"
> A blue energy appears between the silhouette's hands
"What's this move? Psycho Cut I guess"
> A blue disk separates Mario and Charizard
"Well, this animation for Psycho Cut is really weird"
> The silhouette is actually Greninja
"WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL??? FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE ARE YOU SERIOUS ???!!!"
Yeah, Greninja is the kind of character I would never, ever consider as playable for Smash 4, and it's not like I hated it as a Pokémon - I kind of like it to be honest. But seriously, for the sake of comparison, seeing it playable was like reading an article on a science magazine saying that we discovered a new species of giant flying spiders even bigger than the blue whale that lives in the sky and creates cloud-like webs to trap birds and eat them. It looked like a very random choice IMO, with no more legitimacy than any other gen VI Pokémon despite its obvious popularity among the Pokémon fanbase. And when Sakurai explained why Greninja was chosen as a Pokémon newcomer... well, it somewhat confirmed that it was an extremely lucky pick that was chosen with a completely different mindset compared to the rest of the cast. And I hate how people considered Mewtwo unlikely after its reveal, as well as all the Sceptile hype that came from this reveal and that I always viewed as a joke, and that became even more annoying with the announcement of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and later the announcement of Mega Sceptile.
But anyway I'm fine with Greninja now because its overall popularity among the Pokémon fanbase doesn't make me fell that it's a so random choice, and even Game Freak themselves admit that the Froakie line was the funniest one to design. Also now no one seriously considers Greninja as a barrier against Mewtwo anymore and that's cool as well.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Newcomer Satisfaction: Part 2

Freakishly-Tall Space Witch
100% - Of all characters to have Smash Bros.' first puppeteer style, I never thought it would be Rosalina, but it works well. It doesn't seem as outwardly difficult a moveset as Ness', Greninja's or Robin's, but she still looks fun to play.

Freakishly-Small Teen Boxer
100% - As my second-top pick for this game besides Villager, Mac would get a 100% no matter what. I also love that he uses his look from Punch Out Wii. Not only that, but his moveset is perfect for his character. He's even got the KO Uppercut, the one move stronger than the Star Punch, and Giga Mac for his Final Smash! Punch U Out pls, Next Level Games! :p

Freakishly-Medium-Sized Ninja Frog
100% - He's no Joltik, but Greninja is just fine as our new Pokemon rep. His moveset looks very true to his Water/Dark type, and his Shadow Sneak in particular looks most interesting. I also dig his massive tongue being a scarf :p.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Rosalina: 60%. I can't disagree with her inclusion, as much as Nintendo has been pushing her in spinoffs and even 3D World. However, I think her moveset is unnecessarily complicated, even if it is relatively true to her character.

Little Mac: 85%. Obvious choice to include him, and he looks like a fun Captain Falcon-esque character to play occasionally on the side (though not much more than that).

Greninja: 50%. Admittedly, not one of my favorites. If they were going to choose a sixth-gen Pokémon, this guy was the obvious choice (aside from the starters and Hawlucha, there was basically no one to choose, and he's probably the best mix of humanoid and hand-to-hand combat). However, he's not one of my favorites (my least favorite starter line), and I have a feeling his moveset, like Lucario's, will end up feeling too slippery and non-intuitive for me. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, as there aren't looking to be any other Pokémon besides Pikachu that I'll play. All the same, there's a few gen-V and older Pokémon I would have rather gotten a spot.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
:rosalina:70% I find her to be a bit of an upstart inclusion (I am SO sorry Toad supporters) but I do like how she turned out overall. Cool flashy effects and an interesting hook. I'm not really interested in playing her though.
:4littlemac: 85% I'm pumped about him. He just looks RIGHT for Smash to me. The way he moves, his clearly defined strengths/weaknesses, the intriguing all or nothing attack. Definitely on my radar when the game comes out.
:4greninja: 70% While I much would have preferred Chestnaught, I'm really liking what I've seen from our new ninja aesthetically. But while he moves look really well put together, I find myself sort of shrugging at his uniqueness. We'll see when it comes out, but besides Shadow Sneak I don't really see anything that makes me go "THAT'S why i want to play this guy." Probably the newcomer I've been most indifferent about, while still being excited for their inclusion.

EDIT: I notice we're rating roster satisfaction before the game's release. Why? While the CSS leak is possibly final, shouldn't we wait to be sure?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:rosalina: 85%
I'll admit, I really like the idea of a woman fighting in an elegant dress. My entire life at college was playing Smash for hours as Zelda versus my friend playing Peach. Rosie (and Palutena, but I'll get to her in a bit) allow me to play an all out free for all for the princesses, and I can't wait.
Her moveset does seem interesting, but I bet it'll be difficult. I've tended to avoid those characters where you have to worry about secondary characters in order to play, but I'll definitely be giving her a chance. Her character seems interesting - not quite as useless as Peach, but more of a motherly type than Zelda. I'm really excited to see how she turns out.

:4littlemac:80%
I was never really that into Little Mac, but the more I see of him, the more I like him. I think that, as a first, we have an actual fighter appearing in a fighting game, which is funny enough in itself. I'm also intrigued by the useless-in-the-air technique (and hope it means we may get an aerial fighter coming up too...) and I want to see how that plays out. I'd say that he'd probably have a major advantage competitively since there are no platforms on final destination, but as I don't do competitive, I couldn't care less.

:4greninja: 70%
Another pokémon existing to hype the newest generation. I'd probably like him more if we had Mewtwo already. True, the idea of a dark-type ninja frog is cool, but it is getting dangerously close to ninja-pirate-zombie-robot territory. I was a chespin player anyway (well, I loved my Kanto starters more than any of the other starters), so I never had a Greninja in the game. It's not that I'm a genwunner (I do prefer the earlier generations, mainly for nostalgia, but I recognize a lot of Gen 1/2 mons are bizarre and useless, whereas there are impressive later gen mons), I just am really gonna miss Squirtle, who is definitely being replaced here. I just hope he's not also hindering Mewtwo.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina - 85% - While I wasn't necessarily hoping for her before release, I had nothing against her either. Her implementation looks innovative and fun other than her flop of a final smash. I don't know if I'll ever learn to use her that well, but I'm willing to try.

Little Mac - 30% - I've never played his games, he had one of the least interesting newcomer trailers, and unlike most of the newcomers, his quirk just isn't that interesting (the KO punch and being bad in the air). I'll give him a try, but I'm not expecting him to be a new favorite.

Greninja - 95% - This was a case of Sakurai giving me a character I didn't know I wanted. While Froakie was my initial starter in Y version, I never even considered Greninja having a shot at getting into Smash. His implementation looks really fun, his trailer was pretty good, and he just has a cool design. I reduced his ranking very slightly due to having trouble using him at the demo, but I'm sure that won't really be a huge issue after release and practice.

Oops, I missed the ranking yesterday, so here's what I would have given them as well.
Villager - 95% - I love Animal Crossing, so I'm quite glad it finally got a character. I'd have liked to have seen the fishing rod in his moveset too, but that's a pretty minor nitpick. The alternate costumes are great (well, at least the male ones) although seeing the horned hat also would have been nice. I don't expect to ultimately end up maining him, but I'll certainly use him frequently enough.

Mega Man - 100% - While reports seem to indicate he's not all that good, I think he still looks like a fun character, and his moveset is very true to his series. I could see Mega Man becoming one of my most used characters so hopefully he makes the next iteration of smash too.

Wii Fit Trainer - 30% - Her moveset is actually a bit more interesting now that we've learned about some of its healing properties, but overall, I find both it and her kind of bland. Plus, I'd have been just fine if all Wii Fit got was trophies, not characters/stages.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Don't really play Mario or Punch Out, so I can't rate them adequately.
As for Greninja....

95% if Mewtwo is included. Froakie was my starter in X and Y. I loved him to death and relied on him heavily throughout the entire game, I am thrilled to see him in Smash.

35% if Mewtwo is excluded. Ok, I love Greninja, but if Sakurai used him to tease Mewtwo with no payout...
...that's just not right.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
:rosalina:: 100% I absolutely love Rosalina as a character. She was a very refreshing addition to the Mario cast when she was introduced in Galaxy (an independent space-goddess who don't need no plumber), and she's a great addition to Smash as well. I played my second match as her (somehow won), and she was a bit hard to get used to in just two minutes.
:4littlemac:: 89% I don't really care for the character much, but he was a cool addition. Not a big fan of the ground-only game since I'm more of an air guy, but he seems cool. I played Smash Run as him for like twenty seconds, and about half of that was delivering one punch ._.
:4greninja:: 95% I'm really digging this guy, too. Wonderful addition to the Pokemon cast. Played as him too, wasn't really used to his moves or style of play (plus four-player is so hectic for getting used to someone), but he seems like he'll be REALLY fun.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
:rosalina:- 10% - I like her even less now, I don't like her move set and stuff, and I don't care for her character at all. I would have preferred other characters than her. I don't really find her to be an All-Star either.

:4littlemac:- 35% - Yeah I know, it's a bit higher than usual, but since I do like Punch Out and its Music, I'm a bit glad he's in. I don't think he fits as a Smash Bros. fighter, but he is a Nintendo All-Star so he deserves to be in there.

:4greninja:- 10% - Yeah, it's gotten lower. He's a terrible choice for a character, I don't think Gen 6 should be represented, especially since we have Megas to represent Gen 6. Greninja is like Blaziken. A character that will lose popularity once the next Gen comes out. Very undeserving character.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'll come back and give a more detailed explanation for all the newcomers on the Roster Satisfaction day, but for now I'll just leave this...

Rosalina 85%: I didn't like the idea at first, but after seeing how she plays- I'm hooked.
Little Mac 90%: I'm really satisfied with how he turned out and I love to see one of the most requested characters included.
Greninja 100%: My favorite Pokemon from X and Y, and his playstyle suits me perfectly. Although, I will be a bit salty if he's in and Mewtwo isn't.

Other ratings:
Villager 100%
Mega Man 100%
Wii Fit 75%

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
:rosalina: Satisfaction: 80% The reveal of someone not in Gematsu really shook me up, and made me happy for some reason. I didn't really think that the Mario series would get a newcomer besides Jr. or Paper Mario. The addition of Rosalina surprised me, because I was expecting Mario Kart 8 stuff. Her gameplay looks okay, but the idea of summoning Lumas is pretty cool. Overall, Rosalina gets an 80/100 because she destroyed Paper Mario's chances.

:4littlemac:Satisfaction: 95% Hey. I wanted AT's in as playable from the very start! It seemed like a dream come true, as we have never gotten a boxer before. It is like a wave of confusion washed over me as I saw the art, and then I jumped for joy when I saw Lil' Mac in person. The only reason this isn't a 100% is that he has terrible air game. Terrible. Other than that, the Mac turned out rather well.

:4greninja:Satisfaction: 25% Where are you Sceptile??? Oh and Mewtwo, I guess.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Rosalina: 86% - Gimmick movesets are the best, haters gonna hate. I have loved Rosalina ever since the first Mario Galaxy and it's nice that she's one of the few Mario characters to have a detailed backstory.

Little Mac: 83% - I don't have too much to say about Little Mac but he's pretty awesome.

Freaky tongue creature: 37% - Well a lot of people love him so I suppose he was a deserving choice, though I'm not a big fan. I still wish we had gotten a gen 5 rep as Zoroark or Genesect would have been amazing. I suppose I'll have to settle for Teenage Mutant Ninja Lickitung.

Last edited:

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
Wait, we can go over 100%? I feel like that's a little unfair... Well, anyway...

Rosalina & Luma Satisfaction: 80% - Not one of my most-wanted characters, though I have to admit, she rounds out the Mario roster quite nicely more then just Bowser Jr. would. Personally, I still would have preferred that Toad be a playable character, but until then, Rosalina is definitely a well-met addition.

Little Mac Satisfaction: 100% - See, this is where I'd use 200% or something like that, since Little Mac was one of my most-wanted characters for Super Smash Bros., within the top 3 easily, probably my second-most wanted character next to you-know-who. Really, he just made so much sense, he's from a popular NES game that's all about fighting, though I supposed it makes sense to include him now, after the Wii Punch-Out!! came out. I just hope he becomes a permanent fixture in Super Smash Bros. and returns in all following games, since I've wanted him for, like, ever!

Greninja Satisfaction: 75% - I feel bad for giving him a relatively low rating compared to everyone else, but it still does kind of bother me that he, of all characters would be included. Yeah, I supposed he's a popular Pokemon from Generation 6, and he looks freaking awesome in this game, but he still feel like he came out of nowhere. I mean, I don't even really feel this way anymore, I really like him now, but I'm still docking him for essentially being a mandate to include a new Pokemon, and for choosing him before they even knew his name or what his moves in the actual Pokemon games would be.

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Rosalina - 60%
Most comes from the fact I didn't want/cared or thought for a mario newcomer. Though an puppeteer moveset makes her tricky and interesting, along with probably being an very hard character in the right hands makes her more welcomed gameplay wise in the roster.
Probably won't use her much though, I don't like useing multiple entities characters
Little Mac - 100%
probably was more expected then mega man, the main shoein character comes with the awe, from an trailer that suit him perfect and from changing something as generic as punching to making it interesting. An "as strong as a bull on land, as weak as a fish in air" playstyle and a KO meter will make him an bundle of joy.
Plus he got style, and that's like 20 points right there
Greninja - 55%
Too be honest I used to hate the guy, but now I'm just back an forth on him.
Hes not an bad character really, very fluid and movement based, along with being an water ninja of sorts, he seems to be an spiritual successor to squirtle, only more viable.
I guess my main beef is just I don't like how he fits with the roster, I mean he wasn't even known when smash was in development, and when you compare him to other characters in other series like rosalina to Mario, who after being the major character it their own game still holds significant to the series, he will eventually die out after we move on from kalos (or become an cult favorite like blaziken). He just doesn't seem to hold the significance to the pokemon series unlike other pokemon like lucario or charizard.
Then again there is lord substitute. . .
[Collapse=satisfaction chart]
In order-
Amazing inclusions:
:4megaman:-100%
:4villager:-100%
:4littlemac:-100%
Okay/accepted
:rosalina:-60%
Neutral/indifferent
:4greninja:-55%
:4wiifit:-50%

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
:rosalina: Rosalina Satisfaction: 85%

At first I didn't like her because I preferred Bowser Jr. or Toad. Over the months I have warmed up to her inclusion and she has an interesting moveset.

:4littlemac: Little Mac Satisfaction: 100%

This is one newcomer I really wanted. I knew after E3 2013 that Boxing Ring stage was Punch-Out stage. Lots of people told me it was not or all he could do is punch. They were all proven wrong in February. I thought we would get Dixie Kong, which would make my most wanted less likely. Instead we got an amazing trailer and a wonderful addition to Smash. I am definitely going to try and main him.

:4greninja: Greninja Satisfaction: 85%

That Smash Direct was so hype. I was watching it with one of my friends and when the trailer showed Greninja in the cave we were both screaming Mewtwo at the top of our lungs. It was not Mewtwo. It was Greninja. I picked Greninja in Y, so I am not disappointed by his inclusion. He looks very fun and if it wasn't for him we would not have this - :substitute:

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm quite surprised that Villager beat Mega Man. Wasn't Mega Man #1 every time before?
Mega Man had been #1 about half of the time. Losing to Villager isn't unprecedented for him, though--Villager did win back in December. Also, Mega Man lost to Robin in July and fell to Mac in February, but those losses may be chalked up to hype for newly-revealed characters.

I know you're a fan of statistics, so I'll give you some to think about. Yesterday Mega Man had 29 perfect scores while Villager only had 25; however, Villager only had one score under 50% (and it was a 40%) while Mega Man had five such ratings (including a 0% and three in the 20% range). In the end, Mega Man did bring out much stronger reactions than Villager, but some of them were negative... and it cost him.

:4littlemac:40%: While I have no connection for the guy, he seems barely interesting. Not to mention his KO punch charges up if he hits somebody or if he gets hit, which sounds kinda broken, coupled with his outstanding ground game when the ground game seems superior to the air. However, I'm happy for his fans, and thats why he has a decent score.
:rosalina:100%: I replayed Super Mario Galaxy before last Christmas as a way to hype myself up for the Wii U I ordered. I got every single star in Mario's quest but 8 in 4 days. That game was awesome, and I really liked exploring the hub world with the red star, or reading the storybook I never cared about earlier. And then right in the middle of the playthrough? Rosalina was revealed for Smash! And after that? I beat my new Super Mario 3D World and got Rosalina (I've 100%ed the game in about 2 weeks bar the last random house.) That surprised me so much. I already liked Rosalina, and every bit of news pertaining to her was revealed at the same time I played her games. Not to mention she is unique and Luma is probably my 6th favorite Mario character.
:4greninja: 10000000000000000% [100%]: I saw Pokemon X's first trailer, and was sold. I checked Serebii daily so I could get news. Froakie was a cool starter, but not as cool as Fennekin. Then some scans showed the 2nd evolutions. Braixen was horrible, and Frogadier sold me on the Froakie line. Then Greninja was showed off, and I knew he was my pick. I loved Pokemon X. In fact, I got it on the midnight release date. I played the game through with him, and even bred a Protean Greninja for competitive play. I even thought to myself when I was at Shalour City and had just recieved my Lucario: "Hey, all my Pokemon except for Greninja and Tyrantrum are in Smash Bros! (I had a Pikachu and Charizard as well.) Maybe Greninja could get in?" I thought he was getting in if we got a 6th gen representative. Slowly, I forgot about that prediction. And then the trailer. I thought it was Mewtwo. I was hyped. The second clip with him showed. That wasn't Mewtwo, he doesn't use Ice/Water sphere attacks. And then it zoomed in. GRENINA? Greninja's trailer was the hypest for me, seeing as I wanted him and no leak that I knew of mentioned him (I didn't see Gematsu 2). Greninja was the best possible newcomer for Pokemon imo, and his playstyle fits with me perfectly.
BONUS ROUND!:4metaknight:: Does anybody else remember my only nomination in the brief period of time I had to nominate it? Does this ring a bell?: x5 Galacta Knight AND Dark Meta Knight Costumes (as in :4metaknight: getting both as alternates)
And according to some AMAs, IT HAPPENED. I'm just making note of this since I don't think we rated them, and if we did I definitely missed it. So this is basically an I told you so :p
We did rate that day. I remember updating the day for it. I fell asleep in the middle of it, and I dropped my calculator down the side of my bed. Rough night.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Rosalina: 10% I was furious when I learned that she was in smash bros. I still am. She is not a Nintendo all star. She never has been. She probably will be by the time Smash 5 comes around, but this isn't smash 5. Right now, Toad, Waluigi, and Bowser Jr. (who is luckily in) are all bigger than her. Her play-stile is also pretty disappointing. It seems like another smash, another gimmick character. I hate it. Ice Climbers were cool. Olimar was cool. Now the puppeteer thing is old. Oh, well... I guess 7 Mario characters are fi-... 7 Mario characters... What? Um... Okay... DK has 2... Pokemon has 5... Zelda has 5... Kirby has 3... Fire Emblem has 4... Kid Icarus has 3... Anyone else wondering a trend? I see one. They make no sense. It's like he threw numbers out the window. Oh, well. I digress. Point is: I don't like Rosalina.

Little Mac: 100% My favorite (revealed) newcomer. Not even on my top 10, but still my favorite. (I'm glad I'm a pessimist. Or else, I would be verry disappointed in this character line-up... Oh, wait. I sort of am.) His play-stile looks amazing and he looks like the tye of character that I would like playing as. Hard hitting and... well, that's where the similarities to my other favorite characters end. However, I fell in love with Ivysaur in PM and she doesn't heven have that many similarities. I'm sure that I can find a character that isn't a slow and hard-hitting character that I enjoy in smash 4 just like Brawl Falco and PM Ivysaur. And I'm going to try to make Little Mac that character. He's just too cool to not at least try.

Ah, now we come to him... The Hype Thief.
Greninja: 0% Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I just never have and never will be able to express my hate of Greninja better than I did here.
!Warning for Groose: You have already probably read this before - probably more than once. If you don't want to read an extremely ranty post again, you should turn back now!
"This was absolutely horrible. I was watching the direct and I was so hyped for everything I saw. The character montage at the end was just the icing on the cake (and that was the best cake I'd ever had). I was just about to shut down the computer and go to the hype city in my head, when it happened. I saw all of the pokemon lined up and Charizard was on the top of a mountain. Then I saw all of the characters using their projectiles and Mario running forward, and then I saw it... I thought I had seen Mewtwo charging up the most epic energy ball ever. I was so excited. You know how I said the montage was the icing on the cake? Well, seeing "Mewtwo" in that cave was like giving me a second cake with more icing than the first! Then once Mario and Charizard were about to collide "Mewtwo" fired off his ball of pure hype and I saw a figure hanging from a tree. But it wasn't Mewtwo, my second most wanted character. No, it was Greninja. All of the cake just exploded in my face at that moment. It went on to showing some clips of Greninja's moveset, but I was too mad to enjoy any of it. I was so close to getting my favorite character from my favorite series playable in smash 4, but it was snatched right from me. I was mad the rest of the day, and even having a video game debate with my uncle couldn't cheer me up. I ate a glorious dinner that day, but I was too busy thinking about how Greninja had gotten in before Zoroark and even Meowth and about how much excitement was ripped from me when Mewtwo was teased like that to enjoy it. I never have and never will look at Greninja the same way again. I will now and forever think of him as the hype thief."
-Toxicroaker, June 5, 2014

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
Greninja: 80%
With his inclusion into smash, I was half shocked half oddly pleased. It was a mind opener when I saw him due to the fact I totally forgot gen six was even a thing that could be in smash. Though not my favorite choice for starter in gen six it does in retrospect seem like a good thing in smash. This rating would be higher, but there is still Mewtwo who still as of this moment is one of the few who deserve to be in more then any others currently unconfirmed. Main priority (my want to try and figure out how to play him correctly)8/10

Little mac: 70%
Never a big fan of the idea, but the character looks pretty cool. The main thing keeping him at 70 is that the K.O meter looks cheap still. Main priority 6/10

Rosalina: 90%

Like Greninja I was pleasantly surprised by this character. Nothing seams cheap or gimmicky, it very well represents her game and she looks fun to play, so what's wrong with her? Main priority 7/10

D

Deleted member

Mega Man had been #1 about half of the time. Losing to Villager isn't unprecedented for him, though--Villager did win back in December. Also, Mega Man lost to Robin in July and fell to Mac in February, but those losses may be chalked up to hype for newly-revealed characters.

I know you're a fan of statistics, so I'll give you some to think about. Yesterday Mega Man had 29 perfect scores while Villager only had 25; however, Villager only had one score under 50% (and it was a 40%) while Mega Man had five such ratings (including a 0% and three in the 20% range). In the end, Mega Man did bring out much stronger reactions than Villager, but some of them were negative... and it cost him.

We did rate that day. I remember updating the day for it. I fell asleep in the middle of it, and I dropped my calculator down the side of my bed. Rough night.
We did? Dang that must've been one of the only 2 I've missed. I was probably really busy.

Edit: Its nice to see that it did good it chance in want

Last edited by a moderator:

Groose

Smash Champion
:rosalina:: 85%
Rosalina is the first character that I really mispredicted. I didn't think she had much of a shot at getting in this game (though I guess I can be proud that I identified her as "Nintendo's rising star" and stated that she would have good odds at the next game). I wasn't able to watch her reveal live; I remember being on the ride home from the dentist spamming the refresh button on NeoGAF to figure out who was revealed. When I found out that it was Rosalina, I was initially quite miffed...and then I found out how she played.

Rosalina's playstyle is quite interesting to me. It's been really hard to decide if I like it or not. I'm not a fan of when characters get overly gimmicky movesets, and Rosalina's definitely seems to fit that description. Still, after much debating I've concluded that I do like her playstyle, but I doubt it's for me. I'm glass she's on the roster, but she's far from my favorite.

:4littlemac:: 100%
I remember playing Punch-Out at some point in my early teenage years, and I found it to be a pretty fun game. When the Wii installment came out, I absolutely loved it; though I never logged too many hours on it and it remains stuck on Bald Bull in Title Defense Mode, I did love what I played of it. Because of this, Little Mac was one of my most wanted characters coming into speculation here. That said, I was a bit anxious about whether he could be very unique.

That fear was laid to rest in what I still feel is the best trailer this game has had; the concept of extreme power on land and extreme weakness in the air has always stuck me as awesome, and the KO Punch really changes the feel of the game in a good way, too. Everything I've seen (as well as the word of one of my friends who has some experience playing as him) points to him being a character that brings the hype whenever he appears in a match--sort of like a Captain Falcon.

My only regret about this guy is that I'll never be able to main him. I just prefer the air over the ground, and the part of the gam where you chase your opponent off the cliff and style is one of the most exhilarating parts of Smash; I just have to have aerial utility in a character. Still, just because I'm not compatible with a character doesn't mean that the character isn't absolutely awesome; I'm going to enjoy friends with him quite a bit, and he'll probably be my go-to for fooling round.

:4greninja:: 75%
When I saw Froakie for the first time, I decided that he would be my starter Pokemon no matter what the evolutions looked like. Froakie seemed like the only good starter of the pack, and I thought the starter choices were a big step down from Gen V. Upon seeing Greninja, I certainly did not regret my decision--he's awesome. He was an excellent starter, and now he's an excellent competitive teammate. He's somewhere in my five favorite starters ever, so I certainly wasn't opposed to seeing him in Smash after watching the trailer (though I was still surprised that he had made it in).

Ever since about a month after his reveal, Greninja has been a character who is just kind of... there. I usually forget him when I'm talking with friends about what new characters have made the cut, and I rarely find my mind bending toward him. It's not that I don't like him--I do--but I just find him to be a really average sort of newcomer. Everything about him pretty much screams "good but not great" to me.

I've been trying to isolate the roots of my relative indifference, and I think I've been successful. The main reason is that I just don't think he has as much personality as the other characters. He has more than Wii Fit Trainer, sure, but he's not anywhere near as expressive as your Villagers or as regal as your Rosalinas. The other reason I'm not really huge into him is his moveset; he doesn't really have any moves that stand out, and it as a whole is probably the most boring of any character revealed thus far.

All in all, though, I still like the character even if I do forget about him from time to time. Additionally, I feel I won't be forgetting him for long; his attack patterns seem to mesh well with how I play, so I may eventually main him. Wouldn't that be a bit ironic?

[collapse=Current Scores]
:4megaman:: 100%
:4littlemac:: 100%

:4villager:: 100%
:rosalina:: 85%
:4greninja:: 75%
:4wiifit:: 33%

[/collapse]

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Newcomer Satisfaction
85.18% Villager
85.03% Mega Man
81.04% Little Mac
80.14% Greninja
77.58% Rosalina
65.31% Wii Fit Trainer

Usually I don't hit the "calculate average" button until after I input every piece of data. Today, however, I indulged myself and calculated things after every ten scores I added in. Greninja took an early lead, and it even looked like he would manage to top Villager around when I had logged half of his scores. Rosalina was in second place, and it looked like she would place in the low 80% range; poor Little Mac seemed doomed to a score in the high 70s.

Then the comeback happened. 100%'s started to flow in for Mac and the other two began to falter. In the end, Mac ended up placing over both Rosalina and Greninja, but he did fall quite a bit behind Mega Man and current champion Villager. Greninja also put up a valiant fight, and he wound up less than a percent behind Mac. Poor Rosalina was knocked into isolation as the only character in the 70%'s. Will she ever get company?

Today we're assigning scores to the three characters that were revealed at E3 2014. Those would be Mii Fighter, Palutena, and Pac-Man. Will any of them manage to steal the throne from the Villager? Will any of them give Wii Fit Trainer a confidence boost? It's time to find out!

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm actually going to elaborate a little today.

Palutena: 100%
I was a bit hesitant to give her the 100, but then I remembered I can make her faster than sonic. Trolling powers, activate!:troll:

Pac-Man: 100%
Great character, great reveal, @Pacack gets a happy ending to his emotional story, what's not to like?

Mii Fighters: 75%
I've got nothing against their inclusion, (To me, having them not make the cut would have been a huge upset) but I just don't see myself playing as them at all.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Mii Fighter - 70%
I'm a little iffy on the fact that they essentially are three unique characters, but their inclusion was inevitable and I can see them being pretty fun.

Palutena - 85%
I like that I predicted her inclusion in this game 6 years ago just from her few appearances in Brawl. And she's pretty.

Pac-Man - 50%
I was never fond of the idea of Pac-Man being in the game, and after his reveal..."meh" was about it. I don't have much attachment and he doesn't look particularly interesting to play as. I don't think I'll play him much, and I wouldn't care at all if he hadn't made it in.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
This was the most and least hyping day ever in Smash. (E3) Apparently Sakurai didn't learn how to present things. You know, put your best material at the end, and your worst in the middle.

:4mii: - 1% Haha, I hate having these guys take up so much useless space. I blame them for any cut characters. At least Wolf and Lucas anyway. The only reason they get 1% is cause I can play as Space Dandy.

:4palutena: - 100% By far the best newcomer. She was my 2nd most wanted, and if you've seen my video, you know I was really excited about it. She's pretty much the reason I'm buying this game, and she's one of the main reasons I bought Uprising. (Her and Viridi).

:4pacman: - 0% Burn in the Ghost World Pac. You don't even have a move set that makes ANY sense at all. Why are you attacking with ghosts? When I saw the live chat saying Pac was in, my heart dropped. I almost cried. If the combination of him, Miis, and Chrom were in I was prepared to not buy this game. Good thing that didn't happen. Worst newcomer. Easily. Sorry to the guys who like him.

Our next rate is most likely my last day here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mii: 50%

I'm indifferent, but they don't look as ridiculous as I expected them to be.

Palutena: 90%

I have to agree with @ Leafeon523 Leafeon523 . That, and she looks fun to play as.

Pac-Man: 100%

I did not expect to be this excited for Pac-Man at all, but somehow, Sakurai made it happen. He even managed to convince me to use the living yellow sphere on my signature.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Palutena 85% She seems interesting/unique enough. Don't really care that much about her though
Pac-Man 80% If he ends up feeling like Mr. Game and Watch I might use him a little. Still not that interesting
Mii Fighters 40% Three unique classes with unique movesets, 0 particularly interesting concepts. Meh, maybe I'll warm up to them.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
:4palutena: - 100%. Love Palutena as a character, love her design, and her gameplay looks to be pretty much exactly my style. Couldn't be happier with her.

:4pacman: - 75%. I do like the idea of having Pacman, Mega Man, Sonic, and Mario all able to duke it out! He looks like wacky fun from his trailer, but I don't personally hold too much attachment to the character himself so I can't say he's one of my favorites per se.

:4mii: - 25%. Bleh. I don't think I intend to be using Mii Fighters at all, much less three of them. I understand their inclusion, and it sounds fun for the people who enjoy that, but they're not for me.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Mii Fighters: 30%

In light of recent events (cuts for Lucas and Wolf and possibly snubbing time for other characters that people are attached to ), I am angry that these three probably had significantly more development time to them since they have 3 variable classes, weights, and moves. They could have simply just stuck with the Mii Brawler and make the other two classes DLC to be done later. Would anybody call Miis their favorite Nintendo character? Sure, nobody would say that about the Wii Fit Trainer, but at least the Wii Fit Trainer has a charm to her/him in their moveset that just isn't there for me with the Mii Fighters. Redeeming factor for me is that I agree with Sakurai's trolling of people who legitimately request someone like Goku or Naruto to be playable by using a Mii instead.

Palutena: 100%

Sakurai successfully made her an enjoyable and wanted inclusion from me in 2012 when Uprising came out. She looks fun especially with all of her moves which could be said to be bias, but I'm personally okay with Sakurai bias to some extent. This "bias" feels similar to all three Kirby characters having a major rule in Subspace which I didn't mind at all. Besides all of that, she's bound to throw some snark in her victory animation and taunts and I love her snark.

Also, inb4 people blame Palutena for the reason why Dark Pit is playable and is a sign of absurd bias.

Pac-Man: 90%

I don't have a connection with the Pacster like with Little Mac. However, there is a charm to Pac-Man in being so retro and Game & Watch-esque (even in playstyle according to Zipzo) that I just find likable about him. If they went with his current design, this satisfaction score would have been much lower. Besides, Namco deserves to have their icon in the game for working on this game.

Also, since this account never existed to rate the E3 2013 Newcomers, I'll quickly rate them here...just because

Villager: 100%
Wii Fit Trainer: 100%
Mega Man: 95%

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
:4mii: 20% I gave em 40% last time. I praised the flashiness of their moves, but I didn't like that they didn't draw on any of the Wii series games and that there was three of them. But they didn't bug me too much then cause I was still happy with the potential for other characters. Now though? Wolf's head is seconds away from the guillotine and two of my favorite veterans are next on the chopping block. The fact that they decided to put 3 characters worth of work into these guys and then possibly couldn't or wouldn't bring back 3 perfectly fine characters (seriously just make it so Nana's throw can't be controlled or something) leaves a REALLY sour taste in my mouth. I do still think their moves look fun, but I'm even less happy with them now.
:4palutena: 75% Her trailer was super meh to me, but after seeing more footage of her and learning a bit more about what she can do I'm liking what I'm seeing. Still not as excited for her as I wanted to be before her announcement, but she looks fun and I'm sure I'll try her a few times.
:4pacman: 100% I still can't believe they made Pac-man look fun. I was so convinced there'd be nothing that I'd give much of a crap about. But then we got Namco Game and Watch, and life was good. Namco Roulette being a taunt was disappointing, but I'm still very excited to give him a shot. Now I gave a 90% last time so what pushed me over the edge?

3 words guys: EXPLODING. FIRE. HYDRANTS.

GG PAC IS BAC 10/10

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
:4palutena: Palutena: 100%
Despite being convinced that her trailer wasn't as good as I hoped her, she still maintains 100% for her beauty and elegance, not to mention the new data about her recently, in which she sounds like she'd pass my expectations more than I thought. At the beginning she seems like a strong defensive tank, but with her custom specials, Palutena definitely sounds quite versatile depending on what you choose. I'm so looking forward to her in action. <3
*uses Celestial Fireworks*

:4pacman: Pac-Man: 20%
Well, I'm getting used to his inclusion, but that doesn't mean I have to like him much. I'd have to say that I need to see some footage of him in the final build to see how he is, but chances are I won't like him much.

:4mii: Mii Fighters: 0%
Unfortunately, I still have a severe hatred for them, and I probably will never like them at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom