• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
Tingle and Shadow Deconfirmed (Assist Trophies)
Dang. I didn't see that part. Well, I like your suggestions. After satisfaction, we could do that.
Just for the heck of it, total E3 satisfaction: 100%
  • Yoshi's Wooly World is shaping up to look really exciting. Better than Kirby's Epic Yarn and far better looking than Yoshi's New Island. As a Yoshi fan this only brings me joy.
  • I was actually hopeful for the Amiibo figures to be Smash compatible. I got my wish!
  • Pac-Man in Smash was obviously huge.
  • Splatoon looks quite fun. A little Monday Night Combat, but that's not a bad thing.
  • Wasn't hugely impressed with the Giant Robot game. Customization looks great but the gameplay's minimal.
  • The most obvious huge plus for me; Toad...nay; CAPTAIN Toad is getting his own video game! One without Wario's name in the title too! It's also NOT an E-Shop title like many suspected AND is compatible with the Amiibo figures, showing they have faith in the title to do fairly well at least. Looking forward to this, and it certainly takes the edge off Toad missing out on Smash...unless DLC happens post game, and then it's not looking too bad for Captain Toad.
Jumping the gun there, pal. We're going to do this day, but I was waiting for E3 to pretty much wrap up. Glad to see you're hyped about Captain Toad, though. I am, too.
Where were you guys when we rated Pac-Man before he was confirmed? :laugh:
Right here. I wasn't too active in the Pac-Man thread because I'm not quite as well versed in a his franchise as most of his fans (and this game is quite a time-snatcher), but I've always affirmed that I wanted the Pacster.

0:52

Virtual gambling is back!
I saw that. And I couldn't be more thrilled.

Groose's Mii Fighter Satisfaction: 50%
I've mentioned in the past that, although I really love Miis, I really had no desire to play as myself in Smash and therefore didn't want one in. After seeing them in action, however, I think they look pretty good. They brought a bit of their quirky charm with them; they feel like they've been pulled straight out of Wuhu Island. I don't think I'll be putting my own Mii into the battle (nor will I make stupid celebrities), but I think I could come up with some sort of Mii that would work pretty well.

My major complaint here is the sheer effort that went into them. THIRTY-SIX special moves? Really? Additionally, they also have a lot of work done in different outfits and the like, but I see that bit as justified. I've cited before that I'm not a big fan of characters that take a ton of work, and Mii Fighter gets hit with that here.

Groose's Palutena Satisfaction: 90%
Unlike Miis, I fully wanted Palutena in (I had given her 90% in her last rating, but that had risen to 100% by E3). Two minor complaints prevent me from matching that score now. First of all, like @Swampasaur said, I'm not a huge fan of her model. I think it's the face, but something jus seems a tad... off to me. Secondly and more importantly, I'm not really a fan of how they went for quantity over quality in her moveset. I love how she uses a bunch of powers, but I feel that it would have been better if she just used a couple of the more iconic ones and her moveset were more focused around them. This is where my whole "not a fan of characters that take a ton of work" principle comes in again; I think Palutena would have been just as good if she weren't treated specially in her moveset, and it would have left time for other stuff.

Groose's Pac-Man Satisfaction: 100%

Pac-Man was actually dueling Palutena on my most wanted list; I would pretty regularly flip between the two. That said, Pac-Man emerges victorious--where I have a few minor qualms about how Palutena seems to play, I have none for Pac-Man. He took everything I'd hope he'd be and took it a step further. He seems to have some cool summoning moves and a focus on his retro and arcade game roots; this is pretty much what I was hoping for, but they pulled it off even better than expected. The comparison to Mr. Game and Watch is really fitting, I think--they both clearly appeal to gaming's origins and stand out because of it. Overall, Pac-Man is the newcomer that I like the third most so far; he's certainly going to get some play time when I pick up the game.

DAY OVER

GROOSE IS LOOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Newcomer Satisfaction Scores
Palutena: 80.77%
Pac-Man: 78.05%
Mii Fighter: 49.42%

Surprising absolutely no one, Lady Palutena topped the trio of newcomers that were revealed at E3 2014. She had a massive fanbase (and was our second most wanted) before her reveal, so it was pretty obvious she'd do well because of that alone. What is a bit surprising, however, is just how close of a competition Pac-Man provided her; although he only managed to enter our good graces a few months before E3, he really proved to be a pretty popular addition. Miis, however, did not manage to make much of a push; they finished well out in last in terms of satisfaction. They failed to even break 50%, which is pretty pathetic.

Now, these three are not the only newcomers in this game. We also have Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac and Greninja. How satisfied are you by them at this point? Please rate all of the previous newcomers in satisfaction. At the end of the day, we'll add them to the list that I started at the top of this post and draw some comparisons. Let's see if we can beat 73 voters today, eh? That was pretty amazing turnout yesterday, and it was great.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

You really don't understand,

I like Palutena. I supported her.

I'm happy she's in, but why is she getting special treatment with the special moves?
I guess it's part of various uniqueness among characters. And I can try to go down many of the newcomers if I can.

-Villager... No idea.
-Mega Man, a highly requested mascot to go with Mario and Sonic at the time. Someone might explain better.
-Rosalina with the puppet master routine via Luma.
-Little Mac for his powerful ground game, but the OHKO power meter feature thing for him is unique.
-Greninja... um, someone else can explain it for me.
-The 3 different kind of Miis speak for themselves.
-Palutena's likely jack-of-all-trades, versatile if you will, but it requires the player to choose which of the 12 moves would fit best the style of the player.
-Pac-Man... Mascot eh.. Someone else can explain better than me.

But we also had characters with weird stuff in the past, like Lucario's Aura gimmick. I'm kinda bad at discussing these topics, and I know everyone has their likes and dislikes, but I feel some of the reasons for hating a character is just outright ridiculous to where it could start conflicts which shouldn't happen.
As for the treatment thing, I assume it's similar to the Kirby case in Brawl, but with Sakurai creating KIU to revive the series. But again, I'm bad at these kind of topics, and we'll see how things turn out in the finalized version in the game.

Some others have already explained about her being potentially based around KIU's customizing capabilities or reference em. After all, there were a few other references to games in some moves, like that blue cursor thing Rosalina has when she uses one of her moves, and Palutena's reticle via Auticle, but what do I know? I just feel like I'm ranting now, so sorry.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Villager - 50% I was glad Animal Crossing got a character. But I rather have Tom or KK
Mega Man - 20% - I rather have a few other Capcom characters
Wii Fit Trainer- 15% - Duck Hunt Dog would be a better hardware rep.
Rosalina - 8% - There are a slew of other characters I would prefer from Mario.
Little Mac - 10% - He would be a 0 but Doc and the Trailer saved his score
Greninja - 0% - Mewtwo. Need I say more?

I don't like the roster, except for some vets and Palutena.

If she hadn't won out of the three I would have left the boards since our opinions are polar opposites.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Now that I have had a chance to go to smash fest, I can rate all the previous newcomers at 100%. They all looked really cool, and Megaman was really fun to play as.

Actually, give Megaman an 101%. Why? Because he's FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WUUUUUURLD!

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Ok, let's go!
Everyone but Mega Man: 80%
I don't really have many thoughts on them, as I haven't played the game yet, but they mostly seem fun.
MEGA MAN get 1059673345% though. (You can use 100% for the tally.) That final smash is AMAZING. FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD

D

Deleted member

Previous Newcomers Satisfaction has been added to the Directory.
If you have rated any of these newcomers in Satisfaction, check to see what you've said!

I'll keep these brief. I don't have much to say really.

Villager
Satisfaction:
95%

Still a fun character. Glad he's in.

Mega Man
Satisfaction:
100%

I have Mega Man 9 and I am on Dr. Wily's Castle. His Final Smash became more awesome because it incorporates the Black Hole Bomb, the weapon of my favorite Robot Master Galaxy Man.
Oh, and how can anyone forget this glorious moment:

Wii Fit Trainer
Satisfaction:
20%

She didn't drop down 15% like I said before... but she's still bland and dull.

Rosalina
Satisfaction:
0%

No.

Little Mac
Satisfaction:
100%

Still the newcomer that I am the most satisfied with. Excellent moveset and amazing gameplay. Since the Gematsu Leak is real, let's see if Little Mac can engage in Title Defense Mode against Shulk.

Greninja
Satisfaction:
90%

He's still cool!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Alllllrighty. Let's see what SmashFest does to people.

Villager: 55%
Honestly feels kinda lame. Playstyle is really uninteresting to me and his moves feel so one-dimensional that it's really just a pain.

Wii Fit Trainer: 80%
Easily one of the most versatile cast members. Her moves have so much range that lacking any disjoints is rarely an issue because the hitbox is so freakin huge! Also Sun Salutation is a lot of fun. Kinda annoyed that Deep Breathing has to be timed though.

Mega Man: 25%
Feels one dimensional like Villager but also is really vulnerable to pressure due to next to no short range options and that isn't my cup of tea. Final Smash is really awkward as well and is a pain to land.

Rosalina: 100%
This playstyle is incredible and she plays very fluidly. You really do notice what happens when Luma isn't around because her range is short without Luma. Not to mention the Polari cameo is PERFECT. The puppeteer playstyle fits so well in Smash that it's hard to think that it's just coming in this game.

Little Mac: 0%
KO Uppercut is so overhyped. We had a few people at SmashFest actually survive it. Mac himself honestly looks to be a lame character due to how Sakurai balanced him. A lot of his moves don't actually have a lot of knockback and are purely for damage racking and apparently this was balanced due to the Not-quite-a-KO Uppercut's knockback. Besides that, he's still a character that thoroughly uninterests me and SmashFest did nothing to help his image.

Greninja: 90%
This guy is a whole lot of fun to play as. The ninja playstyle is really enjoyable and I think it'll transition well into tournaments because of how moves like Shadow Sneak keep your options open. As much as I enjoyed playing as Rosalina, I left feeling like I missed out on something because I didn't play as Greninja.

So newcomers for me are:
Palutena = Rosalina > Pac-Man = Greninja > Wii Fit Trainer > Mii Fighters > Villager > Mega Man > Little Mac

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
OK, this time we have a new factor: gameplay. Time to be a bit more critical

Villager - 90%
Got to use her in the demo and had a blast, and will probably have her as a secondary of sorts. However, what's bringing her down now is that I have a better idea of how the moveset works and some parts of it are really ... well, tough. In particular, I think the tree move needs to be fixed, because so far it's kind of useless. It wilts way too quickly.

Mega Man - 100%
No complaints here, actually, the character is just as hype as always, works well, and the final smash is always a joy. No problem.

Wii Fit Trainer - 100%
Same as Mega Man. The character works well, that's all that can be said about her.

Rosalina - 85%
I have her down somewhat for just one reason, and that's the fact that I have yet to see the Luma's potential. So far, I'm a bit concerned there won't be as much control over that mechanic as people might want. Other concern: her final smash is awful
Still, like with Villager, I intend to have her as a secondary.

Little Mac - 90%
For Little Mac, my main gripe is Giga Mac. He's not as terrifying as I thought he would be, or maybe the people avoiding him were really good at avoiding him. Not convinced it's a great Final Smash. The rest though, works well, and the character is not as OP as I feared.

Greninja - 100%
HOLY GOD. I didn't use Greninja because I was set on finding out how the Villager worked, but from what I saw of other people, this character is amazing. Also secondary material for me, and I can't wait to use it. Great jumping, quick attacks, versatility, the shuriken is a great projectile. I'm really happy with Greninja. Oh, and the animations are great. Star KO'd Greninja is awesome.

Huh, guess I wasn't that critical.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
6. Villager: 65%.

I have never cared for Animal Crossing, but no one could deny that it deserved a character in Smash Bros, and after they unveiled the alternate costumes for the Villager, and his unique and goofy moveset, I warmed up to the Villager. I thought they would fill the same niche as Miis, but well...I was wrong about that.

5. Greninja: 65%.

This character looks awesome! His moveset, his design, all so very interesting and stylish. I am, however, bitter, because it's very obvious they tried to make us think it was Mewtwo they were teasing. I have yet to find someone who didn't think that. While I still think he's guaranteed, the thought is still there. In the end, though, I guess that isn't Greninja's fault. I also would have preferred Hawlucha as the X/Y Pokemon, but whatever.

4. Wii Fit Trainer: 70%.

At first, I was enraged by this character. Then I actually saw her trailer. I laughed. Her moveset and concept is hilarious. And I don't even think it's an undeserving character; quite the opposite, in fact. Wii Fit was very profitable for Nintendo, so even if she was included just because it was ridiculous, it still makes sense.

3. Little Mac: 85%.

This guy rocks! I didn't know how Little Mac would stand out once he was included, but after seeing his moveset, he is clearly a very fresh addition. He represents a very deserving Nintendo series too in my opinion, and one that, thanks to research I did waiting for Smash, I am very interested in trying out soon. Also, his trailer was so awesome!

2. Rosalina & Luma: 98%.

There were very few characters I wanted more than Rosalina. I wasn't speculating before she was revealed, so I didn't know what to expect.I was surprised when she appeared in Super Mario 3D World (an excellent game, btw) but when she appeared in Smash, I exploded with excitement. Her moveset, additionally, is very unique and I can't wait to give it a try. Actually, who am I kidding, she's my new main! XD I have to take points off though for so many pictures of her since her reveal through Miiverse.

1. Mega Man: 100%.

Oh my god. Freaking Mega Man. Nintendo is doing everything right with this character. The look, the moveset. Everything is so right. The Classic series is my personal favorite Mega Man series, so to see a real 3D version of him, in Smash Bros no less, is incredible.

Extra points for his Final Smash. Anyone who watched the Invitational Tournament knows that the most hype moment of the entire thing was when the crowd reacted to Mega Man's Final Smash. It just goes to show how beloved he is, and how happy everyone is to see him after his shameful neglect in recent years.

So for me: Mega Man, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Villager.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Villager - 23%
I an not a fan of his design, his generic name, or his goofy moveset.

Mega Man - 52%
He's one of the most iconic Video Game characters ever made and definitely deserves to be in SSB, I was also very happy for his fans who wanted to see him in since pre-brawl. That being said, I'm not a Mega Man fan and I can't see myself using him very often. I probably would have liked him more if they went for a more modern look.

Wii Fit Trainer - 71%
I will continue to support acrobat-ninja-amazon-zombie-mannequin.

Rosalina - 85%
She still seems to be my favorite newcomer. I was not expecting her to be playable but I loved her in Galaxy and was so happy to be proven wrong about her chances. I'm also a huge fan of gimmick characters like Ice Climbers and Olimar. Toad was definitly my most wanted newcomer but Rosalina fills the void just fine.

Little Mac - 84%
Just a hair below Rosalina. I can't even explain why I like him, he's just really cool. He still holds the title for best trailer in my opinion.

Greninja - 37%
I always found this Pokemon to be a little weird. What can you say about a Pokemon that wraps his tongue around his head to form a scarf and uses weapons made out of water. I would have preferred a lot of Pokemon over him.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Villager: 100%
Mega Man: 100%
Wii Fit Trainer: 30%
Rosalina: 60%
Little Mac: 100%
Greninja: 100%

Not a lot has changed for me since the last time we rated these guys. The only notable thing is that Greninja is now at 100%; after finally getting over the shock of him being playable, I've realized that I don't really dislike anything about his inclusion. I like him as a Pokemon, I have no problem with X & Y getting a character, and he's among the character I'm most looking forwards to trying out when I get the game.

Satisfaction order as of now: Villager > Mega Man > Little Mac > Palutena > Greninja > Pac-Man = Rosalina > Wii Fit Trainer > Mii

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Megaman: 100%

WFT: 70%

Little Mac: 80% (I don't think the KO Punch should be a thing)

Rosalina: 80%

Greninja: 75%

Overall, I'm happy with the majority of the roster. I'm not a fan of Wii Fit Trainer, but I think she's hilarious and makes enough sense for me to accept her.

Satisfaction goes:

Megaman >>> Villager > Rosalina = Little Mac > Greninja > Pac Man > Palutena > Mii(s) > WFT

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Newcomer Satisfaction!

We've seen a lot more of them since we last did this... We have a much clearer idea of how they play.

For context, I've included my ratings from yesterday, but without commentary.

As I've said before, I love his move set. It includes a lot of great choices and covers most of the iconic Mega Man weapon archetypes: shield, multi-directional, fire, electric, bomb, wind and includes a couple of oddities (Top Spin and Slash Claw) too. Technically has an "earth" type move too, with the Guts Arm, which in Mega Man 1 is used for throwing rocks. It's missing a few, like ice, water, boomerang, homing and full-screen (but that one isn't in for obvious reasons), but they wouldn't really all fit.

The only thing that has me feeling a little worse than before is seeing his performance in the Invitational. It's a bit early, of course, but it looked like he might not be very competitive... It might be, however, that Mega Man is more suited to 1v1 matches. Certainly will be an adjustment to play as him.

But still... Classic Mega Man is my childhood. Mega Man 2 was one of my favorite games. Then we got Mega Man 3, and it was awesome. Mega Man 4, 5 and 6 for my birthdays or Christmas (don't remember). I traded in a game to get Mega Man 1. I still can hum basically the whole Mega Man 2 soundtrack and name off each Robot Master the tunes go with.

So even if Mega Man isn't top tier... I still am extremely pleased. I really hope the music choices on his stages are killer.

Rosalina: 83%
Solid choice. I like the character, and she looks interesting to play as. Not sure I'll ever be great with her, since I never got anywhere with Olimar, but her learning curve doesn't look as difficult... But she may be just as hard or harder to master (since effectively making use of Luma when you don't have direct control over it could be hard).

Palutena: 80%

Wii Fit Trainer: 78%
I think she was a funny choice, and her move set looks more interesting than it did initially. I love that she calls out exercise encouragement during battle. She looks like she could suit my play style, although the Deep Breathing looks a little difficult to use... But as a character I don't like her as much as Palutena, Rosalina or Mega Man.

Greninja: 70%
While I'm mostly indifferent to the character (as I am to most Generation 2+ Pokemon), he interests me more to play as than some of the other newcomers, so he gets a bit higher rating than he would otherwise.

Little Mac: 67%
As I said before, he looks a little better than I thought, but still, he's a very Marth-like character IMO... His moves just aren't that interesting conceptually. Not sure how I'll feel about playing as him, in the past I've preferred characters like Sheik (Melee) that had significant air game. He deserved a spot, but he doesn't excite me, personally.

Villager: 64%
Move set looks quirky, and Animal Crossing deserved a rep. But I was indifferent to the Villager vs. Tom Nook question. But not sure he's for me. Or at least, it will take a while to figure out how to use the tree move effectively... I don't think I saw it used effectively a single time in any of the footage. The Pocket move looks cool, but strangely enough, I never saw it used either! Don't know why not.

Pac-Man: 53%

Mii Fighters: 20%

All in all, the E3 2014 batch of newcomers was... just ok. E3 2013's trio was much better.

I'm obviously most excited to try out Mega Man. And it's too early to say much about the latest three, since we didn't get to see any regular game play footage (except for a short bit with Pac-Man). But of course I will try out all of them when I get the opportunity, no doubt about that.
Just wanted to mention that Magnus is confirmed Assist Trophy. Showed up at the Best Buy event when I went, and he's a great Assist Trophy: does exactly what you would expect, and looks great.
What is "exactly what you'd expect"?

I haven't been able to see him or find out what he does...

Discussion of Palutena getting 12 special moves:

Just to be clear here, I'm not that bothered by Palutena getting 12 unique specials. It's not the choice I would make (if she really is the only character aside from Miis to get customization options that aren't just variations on the default moves), but whatever.

It is a little irksome that she would get that while there are plenty of other characters with iconic moves and equipment that aren't getting that treatment... I would've probably spread the love around, personally.
If you were to pick a 2nd newcomer to have 12 special moves, wouldn't you have picked her too?
Simple answer: No.

I'm not that bothered by it, but I definitely would not have picked Palutena for 12 special moves. It's easy to see different possibilities for this.
I mean, what else could they have given Little Mac? Rosalina? Villager? Pac-Man? Wii Fit Trainer? Greninja? I guess Mega Man cold have had the 12, but he already has perfect representation of moves through both his specials and A attacks. He really didn't need it, or at least, not more than Palutena. I think she was a good pick, assuming they had already decided to do this for 2 separate character before doing it.
I'll admit to being biased, but if I had to pick a newcomer for 12 special moves, I would've picked Mega Man for that, because he has 100+ different Robot Master powers to choose from, including some quite different from the ones in his move set. Or who knows, maybe I would've chosen some newcomer we haven't seen yet.

I am pretty pleased with Mega Man's selection of weapons though. But I likely would've been fine with Palutena's selection had she only gotten four specials as well, so... yeah.

BUT really, I would've probably either:

A: picked Link and/or Toon Link for that if it were up to me. They have tons of equipment that would be fun to use.
B: Distributed extra special moves to many characters, so that Mario could get ice balls, Link could get the Ball & Chain or Megaton Hammer, Toon Link could get the Deku Leaf or Skull Hammer, Samus* could get the Speed Booster, etc. etc.

*It's possible that her variations on the Charge Beam will resemble classic beams like the Wave Beam, Ice Beam or Spazer, so I still think that could happen... I suppose Ice Missiles and Power Bombs are also possible within the confines we've seen for Mario's specials.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
There isn't a single Best Buy with the Smash demo here in South Carolina, and I can't really justify driving 3 hours each way to the nearest out-of-state location just to play a demo for a few minutes, but with all the extra gameplay footage that has come out of E3 I can finally start to form more solid opinions about the earlier newcomers beyond their generally fantastic trailers. In general, our newcomers are still looking pretty great:

Villager - 75%
Initially I thought I might go lower on this because Villager didn't strike me as especially fun among all the games I saw of him (and thanks to the Villager main among the Treehouse folk, there were quite a few), but considering the rating is specifically for satisfaction, I can't rightly say I don't like how he turned out. The pocket mechanic looks flat-out ridiculous, his moves generally look more potent than I would have guessed, and overall his presentation is awesome. Not really a character for me, but I'm nevertheless quite happy with how he turned out.

Mega Man - 100%
The living embodiment of hype, I know a ton of friends who are psyched to use him and his moveset is pretty much perfect. Even if I don't particularly want to play him myself (never really been a Mega Man fan), I can't help but be completely satisfied with his implementation based on how well it plays off his classic games. Hopefully Capcom is taking notes because this is easily the best representation the Blue Bomber has gotten in years. Very well done, Nintendo!

Wii Fit Trainer - 75%
This character has long bothered me as a character that no one really asked for, which would make her stand out when she's in and some fan-favorites inevitably aren't. Now that we have a pretty good picture of what the final roster will look like, and by the looks of things none of my top newcomer picks are in, how does she stand? Surprisingly, still pretty dang positive. Revealing her early on has only helped her as I've had a long time to get past any frustration with her specific inclusion and focus on her fun moveset and wonderful presentation, including nice touches like the male Trainer. Is she one of my favorite newcomers? No, not really. Am I satisfied with her inclusion? Yes, yes I am, and she's one of the few newcomers so far I'm really curious to actually play.

Rosalina - 100%
Like I've said before, Rosalina's a special inclusion for me because she's my little brother's favorite character in all of video games, which makes me appreciate her inclusion a ton even if I'm not a huge fan personally. I also really like that she has such a unique moveset with the Luma, so her inclusion really adds something to Smash on a gameplay level. Even if she's yet another character I don't especially want to play (never have cared much for puppet characters), I'm perfectly satisfied with her inclusion and implementation.

Little Mac - 100%
If any newcomer has become more appealing in my eyes after seeing lots of gameplay of them, it's hands down Little Mac. He flat-out looks fun to play, between his quick movement, his heavy-hitting, in-your-face specials, and of course that ridiculous knock-out punch. I already thought he looked fantastic based on his trailer, and it certainly doesn't hurt that he's the favorite Nintendo character of one of my Smash buddies, but holy cow do I want to try him out for myself now after seeing how crazy he was in the streams from E3. Pretty much my only beef with him is that his Final Smash doesn't look that great, but hey, not like I play with items much anyway. Overall, definitely feeling extremely satisfied with him right now.

Greninja - 100%
Little Mac may be running away with the title of "Character I Most Want to Play", but Greninja's not all that far behind thanks to all of the exciting footage of him from E3. I've long since gotten over any beef I had with him likely getting in over other Pokemon like Blaziken and Mewtwo and just gotten to appreciate him for what he is: a badass ninja frog with crazy water-based weaponry. I'm not sure he'll be as flat-out fun as our boxer, but seeing his delightful animations and potent specials at work make him look like a clear-cut favorite. Very excited to take him for a spin at release.

For fun, and for sake of breaking the numerous ties, I'll go ahead and list all the newcomers from most to least satisfied:

1. Little Mac
2. Greninja
3. Mega Man
4. Rosalina
5. Mii Fighters
6. Wii Fit Trainer
7. Pac-Man
8. Villager
9. Palutena

Overall very satisfied with how our newcomers turned out so far. My only real disappointment so far is Palutena, and that's mostly due to her confusing moveset giving a poor first impression (although her overly serious face in-game didn't help). Hopefully she'll prove to be a lot more coherent and fun in the final game!

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Villager Satisfaction: 95%
Mega Man Satisfaction: 95%
Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 55%
Rosalina Satisfaction: 60%
Little Mac Satisfaction: 100%
Greninja Satisfaction: 40%

Seeing gameplay of all these guys really helped some of these satisfaction scores.
Impaired others' though.

D

Deleted member

He goes around the stage swinging around his massive sword.
Is he pretty much like Little Mac in Brawl? Is he extremely powerful, but susceptible to fall of the stage? I always found him to be suitable for that role.

andimidna

Smash Master
1.:rosalina: Rosalina: 100%
I have already said why at this point. I love her 100%. I'm not worried about her terrible Final Smash because I WILL NOT BE PLAYING WITH ITEMS ON 90% OF THE TIME! :laugh:
The only 2 characters I will ever give a 100% are Rosalina and Palutena. Unless we get a surprise...
I will have so much fun staying up all night to try to master her playstyle. It looks very complicated... so I expect her to be ranked low tier at first, but eventually, I think people will figure her out and she'll get to A or B tier. Also, I LOVE Lumas!
(2. :4palutena:100%)
3.:4greninja: Greninja: 84%
I used to be more neutral on him but honestly, a lot of my friends wanted him, and they're really hyped for him and Rosalina (it's funny because those 2 are the 2 most commonly hated here) His voice sounds creepy as **** and I like it. I love Water Shuriken... and of course I love :substitute:!
He's now my 3rd favorite newcomer!

4.:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer: 82%
Here's a surprise! Wii Fit Trainer looked like a really fun character to use in the ootage I say and I can seriously see myself playing as her very often! I love her style, simple, yet with Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing, things get interesting.

5. :4megaman: Mega Man: 74%
His reveal was so hype!
I had wanted him before he was revealed, but he's getting a bit overshadowed at this point... by newer newcomers. Still, can't forget this guy. Perfect addition. Perfect moveset. No personal attachment.
(6. :4pacman: 73%)
7. :4villager: Villager: 66%
Another surprise... I'm pretty sure I ranked him as my #2 favorite newcomer after Rosalina last time, and now he's my #7.
Well, I just don't find him very interesting anymore. Seems like a very neutral character. And I can't say that I want to use him anymore. I don't know what it is, he looks like a good fighter with good moves and has one of my favorite taunts in the entire game, but... eh. He deserved it, and I wanted him before his reveal, once again, I think it's just the hype of newer newcomers. Specifically Ms. Tuna.

8. :4littlemac: Little Mac: 58%
Yea, he's at the bottom again. but it's not that he isn't good. It's just that the other here are IMO better.
He really needed to be in this game. Deserved it more than half of the confirmed roster. I would have put him in SSB64 if I had made the game, but as a newcomer this late, he doesn't fit well, no, that's not true, it's that he doesn't stand out. Well, he's a bit generic. And he would have fit in so perfectly in any of the 3 previous titles. I'm glad he's here, but he should have been here sooner. And out of every character here, he's the only one I'm 100% sure won't be my main(s). I like characters with air game, character w/o such obvious flaws, and nothing else strikes me as something I need. So while he needed to be here, I didn't need him. Still a positive addition nonetheless.
I supported all of these character except Wii Fit Trainer before they were confirmed. They were in my signature (except those confirmed before I joined) and on my roster (except Greninja, he was supported but not expected at all-- I thought he had no chance). Some just ended up better than others
Now for my overall just for fun:
:rosalina:=:4palutena:>>>>>:4greninja:>:4wiifit:>>:4megaman:>:4pacman:>>:4villager:>>:4littlemac:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:4mii:
Edit: I changed things up because I realized Rosalina and Palutena are the only characters I'm very hyped for. Even if I enjoy others. Still, staying on the 50+ side of things.
[collapse=including veterans]
:rosalina:100
:4palutena:100
:4zelda:100
:4zss:99
:4sheik:97
:4greninja:94
:4wiifit:92
:4lucario:89
:4pit:86
:4link:85
:4megaman:84
:4pacman:83
:4peach:80
:4charizard:79
:4villager:76
:4marth:74
:4myfriends:73
:4littlemac:68
:4sonic:65
:4luigi:63
:4dedede:62
:4olimar:60
:4bowser:59
:4diddy:58
:4samus:57
:4pikachu:56
:4kirby:55
:4yoshi:52
:4mario:51
:substitute:50
:4dk:49
:4fox:48
:4mii:15
:4tlink:0
Based off reveal times, satisfaction, who I want to main, and random things I don't care to explain[/collapse]

Newcomer Satisfaction!

We've seen a lot more of them since we last did this... We have a much clearer idea of how they play.

For context, I've included my ratings from yesterday, but without commentary.

As I've said before, I love his move set. It includes a lot of great choices and covers most of the iconic Mega Man weapon archetypes: shield, multi-directional, fire, electric, bomb, wind and includes a couple of oddities (Top Spin and Slash Claw) too. Technically has an "earth" type move too, with the Guts Arm, which in Mega Man 1 is used for throwing rocks. It's missing a few, like ice, water, boomerang, homing and full-screen (but that one isn't in for obvious reasons), but they wouldn't really all fit.

The only thing that has me feeling a little worse than before is seeing his performance in the Invitational. It's a bit early, of course, but it looked like he might not be very competitive... It might be, however, that Mega Man is more suited to 1v1 matches. Certainly will be an adjustment to play as him.

But still... Classic Mega Man is my childhood. Mega Man 2 was one of my favorite games. Then we got Mega Man 3, and it was awesome. Mega Man 4, 5 and 6 for my birthdays or Christmas (don't remember). I traded in a game to get Mega Man 1. I still can hum basically the whole Mega Man 2 soundtrack and name off each Robot Master the tunes go with.

So even if Mega Man isn't top tier... I still am extremely pleased. I really hope the music choices on his stages are killer.

Rosalina: 83%
Solid choice. I like the character, and she looks interesting to play as. Not sure I'll ever be great with her, since I never got anywhere with Olimar, but her learning curve doesn't look as difficult... But she may be just as hard or harder to master (since effectively making use of Luma when you don't have direct control over it could be hard).

Palutena: 80%

Wii Fit Trainer: 78%
I think she was a funny choice, and her move set looks more interesting than it did initially. I love that she calls out exercise encouragement during battle. She looks like she could suit my play style, although the Deep Breathing looks a little difficult to use... But as a character I don't like her as much as Palutena, Rosalina or Mega Man.

Greninja: 70%
While I'm mostly indifferent to the character (as I am to most Generation 2+ Pokemon), he interests me more to play as than some of the other newcomers, so he gets a bit higher rating than he would otherwise.

Little Mac: 67%
As I said before, he looks a little better than I thought, but still, he's a very Marth-like character IMO... His moves just aren't that interesting conceptually. Not sure how I'll feel about playing as him, in the past I've preferred characters like Sheik (Melee) that had significant air game. He deserved a spot, but he doesn't excite me, personally.

Villager: 64%
Move set looks quirky, and Animal Crossing deserved a rep. But I was indifferent to the Villager vs. Tom Nook question. But not sure he's for me. Or at least, it will take a while to figure out how to use the tree move effectively... I don't think I saw it used effectively a single time in any of the footage. The Pocket move looks cool, but strangely enough, I never saw it used either! Don't know why not.

Pac-Man: 53%

Mii Fighters: 20%

All in all, the E3 2014 batch of newcomers was... just ok. E3 2013's trio was much better.

I'm obviously most excited to try out Mega Man. And it's too early to say much about the latest three, since we didn't get to see any regular game play footage (except for a short bit with Pac-Man). But of course I will try out all of them when I get the opportunity, no doubt about that.
What is "exactly what you'd expect"?

I haven't been able to see him or find out what he does...

Discussion of Palutena getting 12 special moves:

Just to be clear here, I'm not that bothered by Palutena getting 12 unique specials. It's not the choice I would make (if she really is the only character aside from Miis to get customization options that aren't just variations on the default moves), but whatever.

It is a little irksome that she would get that while there are plenty of other characters with iconic moves and equipment that aren't getting that treatment... I would've probably spread the love around, personally.
Simple answer: No.

I'm not that bothered by it, but I definitely would not have picked Palutena for 12 special moves. It's easy to see different possibilities for this.
I'll admit to being biased, but if I had to pick a newcomer for 12 special moves, I would've picked Mega Man for that, because he has 100+ different Robot Master powers to choose from, including some quite different from the ones in his move set. Or who knows, maybe I would've chosen some newcomer we haven't seen yet.

I am pretty pleased with Mega Man's selection of weapons though. But I likely would've been fine with Palutena's selection had she only gotten four specials as well, so... yeah.

BUT really, I would've probably either:

A: picked Link and/or Toon Link for that if it were up to me. They have tons of equipment that would be fun to use.
B: Distributed extra special moves to many characters, so that Mario could get ice balls, Link could get the Ball & Chain or Megaton Hammer, Toon Link could get the Deku Leaf or Skull Hammer, Samus* could get the Speed Booster, etc. etc.

*It's possible that her variations on the Charge Beam will resemble classic beams like the Wave Beam, Ice Beam or Spazer, so I still think that could happen... I suppose Ice Missiles and Power Bombs are also possible within the confines we've seen for Mario's specials.
Yea, Mega Man certainly had the potential for it. And I didn't even consider veterans. One of the Links would have made sense (but then, which one?).
Overall, I think it could have worked equally well on them. They could have gotten it, but she did, and uses it just as well as they could have. Heck, maybe this simply came down to a vote amongst the developers and they favored Palutena so she won them, who knows?

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
From least liked to most:
Wii Fit Trainer: 10%
I was almost going to give her a full zero,I honestly have absolutely no desire to play as her, but I will hold off full judgement until I actually play as her. As of right now though, her playstyle looks bland to me. She's an even bigger blank slate then the Mii and Villager! Other characters that I have liked that I wasn't expecting, Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, they were so unique, they had personality, the Trainer feels unique to me because... she isn't. She's just a human. Who stretches. She is a novelty to me solely because she wasn't expected to be in the game. I'm more excited for any of the other characters then her, veterans and newcomers. The only time I will ever choose to use her is to get her trophy in Classic, and if I ever happen to random her.

Might just be because I hate exercise...

(Miis, 20%)

Rosalina and Luma: 50% (Tied with Palutena)

Rosalina and Luma look much more interesting to me. Their looks to be so much thought poured into her moveset, the Luma is adorable, I liked her in Galaxy, she's a cool character. But her playstyle doesn't look like it will appeal to me. I don't like puppet characters, I suck with them. Again, I'll hold off full judgement until I play her, but I doubt I'll enjoy playing as her. I'll definitely try, I try to play as most of the characters. But I don't think I will have much fun.

Plus I wanted Bowser Jr. and Toad (#CaptainToad4Smash) more then her.

Villager and Little Mac: 70%

I can lump these two together, as I basically can say the same thing about them. Both characters look interesting to play as, but I have no personal attachment to either character. I will probably like playing as them, but they don't do much more for me then that.

Also, I've never played a Punch Out or Animal Crossing game. Don't hate me...

Megaman: 80%

Copy and Paste what I said for Villager and Little Mac. I've never played a Megaman game. (SACRILEGE!!!!) So why is he higher? Because I appreciate what he stands for in Smash Bros. He's a dead character from a third party company, but Nintendo has brought him back to life. There's something about that that I really, really like. Just seeing how much people were freaking out about him getting into Smash Bros, I like that he got in. He deserved it.

Plus he's got coolest Final Smash hands down.

(Pacman, 90%)

And finally...

GRENINJA: 100%

Favorite newcomer, and will be unless Rayman, Sceptile, or Ridley get announced. I like ninjas. I like Pokemon. Greninja is my 3rd favorite Pokemon. Do I really need to explain any more than that? Yes?

Exactly the same reaction as mine. I'm still positive Mewtwo is in the game, so I've got almost all of my favorite Pokemon in the game (All of them if I can get Sceptile). Greninja IS fun to play with, I got to play with him at Best Buy, I can already tell he will be one of my favorite characters to play as.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Villager: 90% I'm REALLY excited to crack this guy open when the game comes out, especially after seeing him used a bit better than I did on the Treehouse stream. I'm a bit concerned about some of his attributes, but it's too hard for me to tell from the one match I played with him. My underwhelming match with him has caused a drop, making this rating much more accurate than the others below. I still fully intend to main him though.

Megaman: 100% He's so friggen cool, he could be trash tier and I'd still give props to Nintendo just for how faithful his moveset is. And it's hard to argue with his final smash.

Wii Fit and Rosaluma: 60% I'm still not terribly interested in either of these two, so they're just kinda "there" for me. I look forward to squaring off against their future mains though!

Little Mac: 100% From what I see he is being delivered exactly as advertised and it looks glorious. I only wish I had a few more rounds at Smash Fest so I could have tried him...I fully expect some hype KOmebacks once the competitive matches start rolling in, perfectly embodying Mac's underdog nature from the Punch Out games.

Greninja: 100% I'm REALLY satisfied with the footage I've seen of Greninja so far. Having the least exposure of the first 6 newcomers I wasn't sure to expect. Seeing all the cool mixup moves he has looks very exciting, and I'm definiately looking forward to trying him out when the game launches.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Villager - 100% My most wanted character overall prior to E3 2013 who has made it in this game so far, and I love what they've done with them. I'm glad female alts were finally confirmed, even if I'll only use the male - it is only fitting for the series to include both genders.
Mega Man - 100% Not as attached to the series as some, but he's a love letter to his fans and always deserved the spot more than any other third party besides Sonic and Pac-Man.
Wii Fit Trainer -100% I was never against her, but the idea has become more and more satisfying as the months have gone on. She is a piece of Nintendo history.
Little Mac - 100% A perfect moveset for one of the most deserving snubs from Brawl. Punch-Out!! is one of my favorite NES games, so this makes me very pleased.

Rosalina & Luma - 88% This made me a little salty at first due to taking the spot characters I'd prefer, but she's growing on me. The moveset and care put into her makes me more satisfied as time goes on.
Greninja - 85% - Same as above, I just hope Mewtwo is in.

So all said and done so far, the only character I am not at least very pleased with are Miis. and if I get at least one of Ridley and King K. Rool in, my satisfaction of them will probably escalate, but until then I hold a tentative grudge over the amount of resources and time they consume. (Again, if they didn't have three different stances and just the standard 12 special moves, I would like them a lot more).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Megaman: 60%
Wii Fit Trainer: 40%
Rosalina: 90%
Little Mac: 65%
Greninja: 90%

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Villager: 75% - He's a good example of a standard good addition to the roster. He deserves to be in, he looks like decent fun, but I don't think he's fantastic, he's simply just good to have here.

Mega Man: 95% - Mega Man's inclusion is in itself just fantastic. His moveset seems a bit clunky in gameplay perhaps, so that's 5% off, but it's not that bad.

Wii Fit Trainer: 20% - She honestly doesn't look very fun, a really standard moveset, the only thing out of the norm is that she can make her Charge Shot/Aura Sphere better with a totally different move, and even that's kind of a waste of a special move.

Rosalina: 25% - She looks very messy to play with honestly. She's probably going to kick some ass once people figure her out for good I guess, but I'm not getting a very good impression from her at this point.

Little Mac: 90% - Mac kicks big-time ass. Sure he's not very good in FFAs, but man do I want to watch a 1v1 with him on FD. He's going to be absolutely insane to watch once people nail him.

Greninja: 95% - I'll be honest here, I thought Greninja was such a stupid character choice to begin with, but after watching the demo footage he looks like an absolutely blast to play as and is probably the newcomer that comes closest to being alt or main potential for me. 5% off because I still think he has potentially made a mess out of the Pokémon roster with Jiggs and Mewtwo possibly having to fight for a spot now.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Having had chance to watch a lot of matches I feel more justified in these satisfaction scores now, and a few have changed, I'll be going top to bottom and including the E3 newcomers for comparison.

Megaman: 100%
It's still there, he's still awesome, and seeing how he plays fits him perfectly. He's a ranged fighter with lost of projectile options and good melee AOE coverage with his up and down smashes, and his leaf shield... but who struggles with close range pressure and can't play keep away quite as easily as P:M's Ivysaur, making him feel less easy-mode. He still does much the same with his purely zoning gameplay, and I do wish Metal Blade was more like Razor Leaf for pushing people away and shield pressure, but he does what he needs to, and looks to have a solid mid-long range defensive game. He lacks the flash of Solar Beam, but his glorious Final Smash more than makes for that!

Pac-Man: 90%
I wanted a summoner type character, and I was half expecting one from Andy, but while Wars would be great for it I think the Namco museum is pretty well suited too. His moveset is kinda crazy, and humorous, and I do fear it'll end up as unfocused as Wario's, but we don't have enough footage to say, and we have a summoner character, so yay!

Palutena: 89%
I've dropped 1% overnight, not because of time spent, 'cos none of these moves look that big a change, but because she got that treatment and we didn't get Mario Tornado! It's a minor thing mind. She looks like she has the parts for a decent moveset, though admitedly they haven't bothered telling us what that move set is!! This is worked out on the best possible circumstances imo, and will fall rapidly if my assumptions turn out untrue!

Little Mac: 85%
No change really. He's still a cool looking ground character who's flashiness comes from a few of the small combos I saw in the tree house... he plays a good mix of ground controlling defense and rush down offense, which is a cool combination, and seems to an absolute beast on the ground, but is forced off it enough to not be OP. He doesn't seem very fun in FFA though, and he looks like he'll need a lot of practice to look properly hype. People need to learn how to use that F-Smash though... Giga-Mac though is very disappointing, especially as the OHKO punch (which needs a jab confirm and isn't even an OHKO!!!) is more flashy than it! Waste of a Final Smash

Wii Fit Trainer: 80%
Let's be honest here, Sun Salutation isn't very useful! And since I hate that move conceptually that's good! She's an all-rounder, with great stylized moves. Seeing her in action she seems very Mario, but with her own twist, and some good safe looking smashes. Going by the tree-house the buff is really good, even if the tourney players couldn't get the timing down, so with Practice I could see her being a really hype character to play when you succeed at deep breathing and bash out an amazing combo.

Rosalina: 65%
Her puppet mastery seems under-utilised, and not all that useful! She seems better off keeping Luma close to help her reach, which kinda defeats the purpose of a puppet master character! That said, she's probably got a really high skill ceiling, and I imagine at high level play that she'll be alot more hype than she seems so far... and keeping Luma close having advantages is good for newbies so they don't have to spend weeks practicing her to be any good.

Greninja: 55%
I get it! I still don't think he really deserves to be in the game, but he looks fun to play and has a really synergetic moveset with some good combo and mobility options, which with practice will be super hype. Water Shuriken is also even more unique than I thought it would be, and no longer feels like another charge attack. If he had appeared in Gen 5 and had that season of insane Anime popularity already I would possibly give him about a 90%, it's just that he's not a Nintendo all-star... yet!

Mii Fighter: 50%
It's a thing that happened, and honestly doesn't matter.

Villager: 45%
I don't get it! Lloid rocket not only looks stupid conceptually, but he seems far too reliant on it, when it doesn't seem that good really.. the tree pop-up hitbox is interesting, but a lot of his moves seem pointless... like the shovel smash is far too quick to mash out of... There's no playstyle as far as I can see, he seems too ecclectic, and unfocused! Maybe in time it'lll make sense, but right now I just can't work out what's he's meant to do! Also the Final Smash is terrible I was expecting it to grab more than one person! If he wasn't Villager and from the super deserving Animal Crossing I would possibly give him about a 10%, it's just he's one of the last real Nintendo all-stars... even if he's been ruined!

Actually I just gotta say I think the FSes are both less impressive, and even worse balance, than in the last game... which is a really really bad sign... hopefully that's something they're going to edit in these last few months.

In all only one character I'm dissapointed with... and he's a character I wanted, and who does kinda suit an ecclectic moveset... I think in all it's a good roster, but it's painful to see Villager look so poorly designed (imo).

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Villager - 100%
Last time I said I'd award full marks if a female villager was announced. So there we go.

Megaman - 70%
I'm happy enough with him. I didn't spend my childhood with him, so this is as good as it gets.

Wii Fit Trainer - 65%
Fine. I liked how mobile her up B is, she really gets around the stage.

Rosalina & Luma - 40%
Can't remember how I rated her before. She's a bit meh for me.

Greninja - 42%
Again, another character I didn't want but don't hate.

Little Mac - 85%
Not a character I was invested in but one I feel is very deserving of his spot.

I did an average of all 9 of my satisfaction percentages and got: 59.1%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Villager :4villager:: 70% - I'm not too big on Animal Crossing. It does have it's place and it has a charm to it, but I find it hard to keep coming back and weeding my town. That being said, this guy represents Animal Crossing perfectly. I like how quirky this guy looks. Really, my score is only lower than 100% because again, Animal Crossing isn't my favorite game in the world.

Super Fighting Robot: MEGA MAN :4megaman:: 80% - Unlike most, I had no connection to this guy before his reveal. I bought Mega Man 2 on VC recently, but that's all the Mega Man I've ever played. In the world of Capcom characters, I originally wanted Phoenix Wright, but in light of the tourney, seeing more gameplay, and Pac-Man, I am much more satisfied with him now. That remix of the commentators and Mega Man's Final Smash really helps.

Wii Fit Trainer :4wiifit:: 90% - As much as I hate to admit it, I do have fond memories of playing Wii Fit. In fact, the only reason my mom let me get a Wii was because of Wii Fit. So this character is not only a nice throwback to why I'm able to play Smash to begin with, but she's hilarious. Her attacks are stretches? How funny is that? I have no intentions of playing her when the game comes out, but I am quite satisfied with this character.

Rosalina :rosalina:: 70% - If you had told me she would be playable without showing me gameplay, I would have been pissed. Toad was easily my #1 choice for a new Mario character. But after her trailer, I've really warmed up to her. She's more unique than Toad could ever be with the puppet character thing, and her attacks look really cool. She spawns galaxies, and kicks/throws them at you. Yeah.

Little Mac :4littlemac:: 85% - Getting this out of the way, I hated Mac. Not only did his assist trophy keep killing itself, but all he can do is punch. No proposed moveset concept had me like "oh yeah, I want to play as this character." He seemed to appeal to Punch Out fans, and no one else; I have never played Punch Out. When he was revealed though, his trailer looked exciting. Doc made it even better with all the commentary, (Which is sadly not in the game.) and he had a gimmick that wasn't entirely boring! Much like Mii and Pac-man, I'm satisfied because he exceeded my low expectations.

Greninja:4greninja: - 100%: My most hyped character. I picked Froakie as my starter in Pokémon Y, because frogs are the best. I had never thought of Greninja being playable until his reveal trailer. I had always secretly wanted Politoed playable however. During the trailer, I knew it wasn't Mewtwo, because I strongly believe he should be a hidden character, and Mewtwo doesn't use water. I was just trying to figure out who it was. So unlike many who saw only disappointment when Greninja made a splash, I was ecstatic. The closest thing to a playable Politoed I'll ever get. His moves are also quite funny. You have him dramatically posing, and spawning water swords one second, and the next, he's licking himself. (That's a taunt for those unaware) Tomorrow is Saturday, and I'm gonna get to try my favorite newcomer before release, and find out if he has a tree frog esque green color. All of my hype. So tl;dr, Greninja was the character I never knew I wanted until he was revealed.
-:substitute:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Note: I have not played the demo because I do not live in America so I'm going off footage for this one.

1. :4megaman: 100%
Believe it or not, I actually have never played a MegaMan game. I give him my #1 favourite character to play as simply because of his moveset. Normally, I like characters with strong projectiles (:4tlink::4link:/ boomerang, bombs and bow. :4diddy: Banannas.) and that obviously isn't something MegaMan lacks. Of course, that's not always the case since I've always been a fan of Kirby and Bowser looks awesome but usually the 'up close and personal' characters don't appeal to me as much. I mean you have crash bomber which looks like a good offensive move, leaf shield which looks like a great defensive move, excellent spacing tools like the megabuster and fire sword, great up air which looks like a great tool for juggling and probably the best meteor move in the form of the hard knuckle. Basically, his moveset has always intrigued me ever since I first saw it.

2. :rosalina: 85%
Rosaluma has always looked cool from the moment I saw her. They are basically the 'smart climbers' of the roster with excellent combo potential. I don't give her as high as MegaMan because: she looks floaty and large. It doesn't make her unlikeable for me but it does make a pretty large dtractor for me because usually I'm pretty bad at floaty characters (eg :4lucario:). But even if I don't end up maining her, I'm still happy she's in. She looks to be an extremely unique fighter.

3. :4greninja: 80%
At first, I was confused. Why would Sakurai choose Greninja? But then I came around and saw the good in him and now he looks awesome to me. I actually don't have anything else to say about him... Also :substitute:.

4.:4littlemac:75%
Honestly, before he was announced, I only recently had known about Lil' Mac. That said, he does look unique due to his amazing ground game but terrible air game. However, his recovery is terrible and that alone is a major detriment to him for me personally.

5. :4wiifit: 60%
I'm not really a fan of her. She does have deep breathing and attacks that hit multiple directions but that alone isn't enough for me. She just looks a bit generic, both gameplay wise and visually. ]

6. :4villager: 55%
This is the one character that doesn't really interest me. The pocket ability looks like a very nifty and versatile move but that is pretty much the only thing that interests me. I will give him props for this meme though:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Villager [70%] - I think it's very appropriate to have an Animal Crossing character, but I'm not particularly interested in playing as him.

Mega Man [0%] Really didn't want Mega Man in the game. Not as bad as Pac Man, or even Sonic, but still very unwelcome. Won't be playing as him, very much hoping for a random character switch.

Wii Fit Trainer [60%] Not convinced at first, but can see the value of her after the Direct.

Rosalina [70%] I didn't get all that far in Galaxy, so I have little connection to the character herself. But I like the look of her moveset so she might be interesting to play as.

Little Mac [80%] - See "Villager." I think he does bring a different element to the game by being a relatively normal human.

Greninja [30%] - I've questioned all of the Pokemon choices other than Pikachu and Mewtwo. Definitely the most appropriate Gen VI rep, but really not interested.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Quick impressions, and I'll be completely honest:

Mega Man: 100% - He was my second most wanted newcomer before the game was revealed, and I was not disappointed. Looks really fun and interesting to play as, and they picked so many awesome moves from all of his games, literally every move is a reference. And that Final Smash is godly, my boy X also gets to show up because of it! He also has one of the best looking models in the game. He's gonna be one of my new mains for sure.

Rosalina & Luma: 99% - I really want to give her like, a million percent. She's my most wanted newcomer. She has a really special place in my heart, and is my absolute favourite Nintendo character, even above Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Kirby, Falco, Captain Falcon and Link, who are all characters I love to death. Saying I have a crush on her would be a huge understatement, I'd freaking marry this beautiful goddess.

But I can't even give her 100% because - that Final Smash is god awful in so many ways.
And it's less because of it's functionality - while it's not spectacular in that sense, I already have thought of ways to use it effectively.

But thematically, this Final Smash frustrates me to no end. Firstly - why a giant Power Star? Why not a Grand Star? Power Stars are a bloody item in this game. Grand Stars are at least closely connected to Rosalina specifically. Heck, in 3D World and Mario Kart, her emblem logo has always been a Grand Star. Even though I have a better option for her Final Smash, and still would be a bit disappointed, I would be more OK with her current one if that Power Star was a Grand Star. It's a nitpick, but for me, it's just really baffling.

As for what her Final Smash should be in the first place:

Yeah. Would have been a lot cooler and more powerful, as well as being a much better representation of her character.

Other than that though, I am beyond satisfied with Rosalina. Luma is implemented perfectly, she looks to have an incredible damage output while also having long lasting attacks (even without Luma), she isn't too slow (she actually moves very fast in the air, at least horizontally), they let her remain really tall, she looks so beautiful that a rush of blood is felt in two parts of my body whenever I see her, and she is better animated than any other character (she has a very specific quirk where every motion she makes has a small focal point, and the rest of her body just kind of follows that focal point). She's DEFINITELY a main for me, I don't care how long it takes for me to get good with her, I will kick butt with her if it's the last thing I do!

Also, she's a ****ing hero, she sacrificed herself intentionally so we could see Mega Man's epic Final Smash at the Invitational.

Little Mac: 85% - Not really a character I am attached too, but I love his moveset, and wanted him to get in the game because he was such a no-brainer. His trailer was amazing though.

Wii Fit Trainer/Villager: 80% - No personal attachments and I didn't think of them and therefore I wasn't asking for them, but I'm glad they are here, they are really funny and quirky additions and they have interesting play styles.

Greninja: 60% - He's a fast, combo heavy character, so he fits into my most commonly preferred play style, but I probably won't main him at all since I have absolutely no attachment to him, and honestly - he feels a little forced. He's just so recent, it feels like they are trying to make him popular through Smash, rather than him being truly and historically beloved already. Also, his voice is annoying. I dare say that this Pokémon should be mute, I think it would fit him better and make him cooler. I also think he would have been better off as a hidden character that wasn't announced before the release of the game because he hasn't even had a year on him yet.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Jumping the gun there, pal. We're going to do this day, but I was waiting for E3 to pretty much wrap up.
Dang it, I keep doing this. Fairly sure I've added a 'bonus' rating that was planned for later in the week before too. Nevermind, I'll just have to get more indepth for that one!

(I can't get no) Satisfaction:

:4villager:
99% (Previously 95%)
Had Villager not have been revealed at E3 2013 I can assure you I would of been supporting him passively during our speculation here.

Literally the only disappointing thing about Villager is his Final Smash lacking as much kill power as I wanted, and Timber still seems a little cumbersome to me.
Since last rating we met the alt Villagers; and not just a single female one either! Two girls and an additional boy outfit gave our Animal Crossing hero some much wanted alternatives to the vanilla Villager.
Gyroid is deliciously spammable, and Pocket is still one of my favourite ideas in the entire Smash franchise.

:4megaman:
95% (Previously 90%)
Megaman's only flaw to me is I have no connection with him. They've done a brilliant job recreating him in Smash, but due to that lack of connection I can't give him a full 100%.

However; his inclusion didn't prevent one of my personal favourites; :4pacman: from getting in, and I can't wait to have these two, Sonic and Mario battle it out.

:4wiifit:
12% (Previously 15%)
Alright, I've seen a fair bit of Wii Fit Trainer now, and her/his ability to heal and quick movement seems to lean towards a stall game. Not a big fan of stallers in general, but doubly so when I consider how expressive the majority of the characters in this game are and then we get this fairly blank faced individual thrown into the mix.

Wii Fit Trainer currently has the opposite affect R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch had on me; I disliked them at first, and began loving them over time...Wii Fit I thought was hilarious at first, but now the joke's wearing a little thin.

:rosalina:
40% (Previously 30%)
The one most people who know me would be waiting for. But look! I'm almost neutral on her! It's a miracle!
Gravitational Pull is great, her Final Smash was revealed to be less garbage than originally shown in the Direct, and yes some Toad fan bias has been eased now it's clear Toad(or rather Captain Toad) isn't being pushed out the series by the space goddess what with him getting his own game...just glad I'm not a Bowser Jr. fan at this point.

Still not sold on Luma honestly. The fighting style just isn't for me as I've never been great with puppeteer characters.

Found it hilarious that both :4megaman: and :4palutena: have Final Smashes involving Black Holes whilst Rosalina misses out for her FS. That alone bumped her up a few %. Can't help but feel bad for her.

:4littlemac:
100% (Previously 100%)
Mac just looks fun. Straight forward brawler who punches hard. Also has an obvious flaw to prevent him from being overpowered which is something I quite like in a fighter; balanced Stengths and flaws. Cannot wait for that first KO punch.

Glad to see Doc Louis in his Victory screens too. Lovely bonus.

:4greninja:
85% (Previously 100%)
The biggest dropper(in fact most even got a boost from me in satisfaction this time). Having had time to absorb Greninja's inclusion and digest it I can now say I'm more pleased by what he meant than what he is.

Brawl + Mewtwo was the most boring available choice for Smash 4 and I was just so pleased that we hadn't got that I'd of probably accepted nearly any Pokemon. His inclusion is essentially just advertisement for the current gen and little else, much like :4lucario: was in Brawl. Perhaps like Lucario, Greninja will gain some importance in a future Pokemon game but right now he's just the most popular starter of the current Gen.

Still prefer him to :4sheik: as a solo ninja fighter, as I feel his existence is more warranted than hers/his.

Current personal rankings:

1. :4pacman: (100% and supported)
2. :4littlemac: (100% but a surprise)
3. :4villager: (99%)
4. :4megaman: (95%)
5. :4greninja: (85%)
6. :4mii: (80%)
7. :4palutena: (50%)
8. :rosalina: (40%)
9. :4wiifit: (12%)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Villager Satisfaction: 100%
I believed Animal Crossing was important enough to deserve a character, but I really did not know who was a good idea since Villager was shot down for Brawl. Sakurai went back on his word, and in a spectacular fashion. His moveset is very creative, based on the ordinary tasks you do in the AC games. It's a case of Mundane Made Awesome.​
Mega Man Satisfaction: 100%
Mega Man was the most demanded 3rd Party for Brawl after Sonic, so his inclusion was no surprise. He was also handled amazingly, using the Boss Abilities as his special attacks. And his Final Smash? Nothing can top it.​
Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 80%
Our biggest surprise at E3 last year, though her inclusion makes sense in hindsight, given how popular the Wii series was. A moveset based on Yoga moves is a cool idea, but it pales quite a bit compared to the flashy movesets others have gotten.​
Rosalina Satisfaction: 100%
I've wanted a Mario newcomer since Brawl. I was fine with anyone, really, Toad, Bowser Jr, Waluigi, Rosalina as I like them all. So I was very happy to see her included. Her moveset however really won me over, as I expected a a moveset deriving a lot from Peach. It makes her inclusion all the more worthwhile.​
Little Mac Satisfaction: 100%
Personally, I don't have much attachment to Little Mac, as I've only played the NES Punch-Out!!. Again, it was his moveset that made me like him. It's almost exactly how we envisioned him - strong on ground, weak in air, a counter move, and the power meter.​
Greninja Satisfaction: 65%
The only choice I'm still a little peeved at. While I don't blame him if Mewtwo is left out again, I feel he was quite unnecessary. His moveset it good; water based ninjas are cool. Maybe I'll grow to like him just like ROB in Brawl. We'll see.
For comparison,
Mii Satisfaction: 55%
Palutena Satisfaction: 90%
Pac-Man Satisfaction: 100%

So, overall my newcomer satisfaction is 87.78%. Not bad.

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Villager Satisfaction: 80%
He's alright. He seems kind of strange to play, but this isn't necessarily bad; it brings new things to the game.
I like how everything is based on an Animal Crossing action, but his aerials seem pretty repetitive and bland in comparison to the rest. Not someone I'll be playing, but still a worthy addition.

Mega Man Satisfaction: 90%
I have played Mega Man before, but I can't really remember it. But I am really liking him a lot.
He is a ranged fighter, but he also has cool other options, such as his aerials. That's definitely something new.
Talking about his attacks, I like it that he has a lot of references to his games. And his Final Smash looks so amazing.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT! MEGAMAN! FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!
Oh, and the soundtrack he brings with him is pretty catchy~

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 80%
Well, uh... She IS pretty funny. And I can't say she didn't deserve it. Of course, she is a troll pick, but Wii Fit had really good sales! And she does bring unique things in, such as a power-up mechanic. And her attacks are odd in general, which is, again, still something new. And it's creative, too. Attacks based on yoga poses are probably really satisfying to use!

Rosalina Satisfaction: 100%
When thinking about a Mario newcomer, I disregarded Rosalina, so her inclusion was pretty surprising. Looking back at it, it was also really important for me. She was my favourite female Mario character already (She's pretty cool, being a powerful motherly figure who doesn't get kidnapped, her backstory being a nice bonus), but the way her Luma and her puppet master mechanics work, she brings something really unique in. After I saw her trailer and thought about the fact that she's appearing in 3D World, I started to a) like her even more and b) realize her potential/importance. I was also motivated to replay Galaxy, and I liked it a lot. I also got Galaxy 2 on my birthday, which is my favourite Mario game now (And definitely on my Top 3 of my favourite games ever)!

Little Mac Satisfaction: 90%
What, a boxer guy who can only punch? He's probably pretty lame, right?
...But Sakurai and his team shows, once again, their blessed creativity. I havn't played a Punch-Out! game but I really have interests in maining him in the upcoming games. Yeah, Rosalinas puppet master style is nice and she's pretty awesome, but I expect me to rather play with those "fast, strong, powerful and inuitive" characters (Less thinking ftw). His "good on ground, weak in the air" style is also pretty new, as well as the K.O. Uppercut (which btw needs to be tweaked a bit, I want to K.O. things with 0% too!), which needs you to learn a) to land your hits right b) to use your counters and c) to aim. It looks really hard to aim!

Greninja Satisfaction: 70%
Dont get me wrong, I really like Greninja. I really do. But he's a bit of your generic "fast combo" character, he has no new or funny mechanic he uses. But he looks fun to use! His attacks look kinda cool, especially his Night Slash FS. He's a solid choice i'd say.

So, overall newcomer satisfaction is 87,78%. Nice.
It's also the same as FalKoopas, huh? Wow.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This day made me want to go back and look at the Chances/Wants of Rosalina.

I'm looking at the old thread, and I'm just like:

So many people must have eaten their hearts out by now...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
To be fair the character we got wasn't 'Rosalina' but instead 'Rosalina and Luma', and no-one had really thought of that back then. I wish I could go back and make the suggestion to see how people would react to it then, but alas the time has past.

D

Deleted member

To be fair the character we got wasn't 'Rosalina' but instead 'Rosalina and Luma', and no-one had really thought of that back then. I wish I could go back and make the suggestion to see how people would react to it then, but alas the time has past.
Honestly, I would still give her a 1%. If you told me that Rosalina was in the game prior to her confirmation, I wouldn't believe you.

That's all in the past now, however.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Honestly, I would still give her a 1%. If you told me that Rosalina was in the game prior to her confirmation, I wouldn't believe you.

That's all in the past now, however.
Oh, I too would be sceptical, and probably consider it less likely than her being in alone, but I think I would have been more receptive if I was asked about her having a poppet master moveset... slightly more receptive... maybe like 15% want instead of 0%.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I had thought of it, as did other people. Not necessarily in the manner it ended up being in the actual game, but I always thought incorporating Lumas was a no-brainer. At the end of the day, your reasoning for not wanting a character shouldn't be because you yourself can't think of a moveset for them, because at the end of the day, we aren't experienced designers with a ton of pedigree.

It's more the people going on about "deserving" spots and what not that get me, saying it's atrocious how she's playable before the likes of Toad and Bowser.Jr. Like, what? She deserves to be in on her own merits. They shouldn't have anything to do with her.

I really think people should just base their want rates on whether or not they like the characters for their own personal reasons, there is absolutely no point in trying to be objective with things like "potential" and "deserving-ness", especially with there being no definite hierarchy to speak of (The only hierarchy involved is titular character or main playable characters from other games coming first, like Mario and Link - after that, it's all down to whoever Sakurai/the people like), and then be upset when they are wrong. Even though I put forward reasons as to why Pac-Man might not show up just in case he didn't show up, and even though I don't care for him, I certainly don't mind him being in the game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This day made me want to go back and look at the Chances/Wants of Rosalina.

I'm looking at the old thread, and I'm just like:

It was largely because no one really expected Rosalina to get a puppeteer moveset. It's true actually, people hail a character as deserving or undeserving based on their perception of a character.

Characters like Mega Man and Palutena have a large amount of source material to work with, so it's natural that fans are drawn to them more. Characters like Rosalina and Pac-Man have much less to work with, so people dismissed them as lame additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom