• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I find this post confusing. Are you assuming that Lucina is or isn't a character with your idea of how represented they are? Or is she like a half a character, lol.

I find myself agreeing. Although, I don't see it as overrepresentation because I don't consider Lucina a character. If I did consider her a character, though, then I would see the four characters as overrepresentation but still agree.
I'm saying im ok with 4 Fire Emblem reps. and yes I do consider Lucina a character.

Burigu

Smash Ace

Here is an arrow ( I don't take credit) that shows what Lucina is, I will leave the rest to the readers, hope this helps clear all the doubts, I myself find that word hard to find without the arrow.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
It looks like rumors of Shulk got Monado Busted as the reveal trailer turned into an unsympathetic ode to Fire Emblem; Chrom was deconfirmed while Lucina and Robin stole the spotlight. Two newcomers means two satisfaction scores, baby! How did the two new challengers stack up? Are you SATISFIED with how they play?

Considering everything we know about the newcomers so far, please rate Lucina and Robin in satisfaction.
For anyone new to this, just give a percentage of how satisfied you are with each of the two newcomers.
This day will run through Wednesday Morning.

Also, on the count of Lucina...

For the sake of speculation, I've always viewed characters in the same way that the developers do. In other words, I see Pokemon Trainer as three characters and Zelda/Sheik as two simply because the developers considered them to be so. From what I can gather right now, the developers clearly view Lucina to be her own character (hence her own page on the website), yet they don't consider her a unique newcomer (as seen by the fact that her banner is smaller than Robins; they're clearly prouder of the Tactician than they are her).

For the sake of Rate Their Chances going forwards, we will consider Lucina a clone newcomer, but a newcomer nonetheless. This will continue until we receive contradictory evidence from the development team.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Robin: 95%
I'll admit it. I wasn't expecting this at all. I though Gematsu was gospel. Chrom was a shoo-in. Well, turns out I was wrong, and quite frankly, I'm very happy about it. Robin looks awesome and I can't wait to hear more about his/her playstyle. I always thought. Robin was severely overrated, but deep down I really did want the beloved avatar playable. And here we are.
That was downright cruel to Chrom fans, though.

Lucina: 50%
I'm neutral. She's a clone. I don't really have a solid opinion on her right now, we'll have to see what happens.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Robin: Eh~
Satisfaction: 90%- When Robin was first revealed, I was certainly neutral. Until I saw his moves. He plays like Not-Platinum The Trinity, one of my favorite playstyles, constantly rotating through tomes and faithfully enough, to the FE series as a whole. He can't get a perfect score, however, because I'm not a huge fan of FE mostly, and so this reveal left me wanting a Monado boy. However, Nintendo did a good job making him stand out... but I'm a tad bitter about the treatment of Chrom.

Lucina: My Exception~
Satisfaction: 100%- I'll tell you, I wanted Lucina over Chrom (secretly, of course!) I was hoping she'd likely be something new, but instead we got something I'm happy about. We essentially have gotten back Roy, but instead, Roy is now Lucina. She plays closely to Roy and Marth of the Melee and Brawl days, which, as a guy who secondaries Roy, is pleasing at the least. She is as much of a newcomer as any of them are to me, and while she's just a semi-clone, it's the return of the Roy-styled character. I really like it when we get clones for some reason, as it brings a smile to my face when we aren't limited to fancy customization and we get something better.

UNDENIABLE BONUS ROUND:
Captain Falcon: YESH
Satisfaction: 1000000%- Captain Falcon looks manly, badass, keeps his epic moveset and delivered the pain. His reveal was just too awesome to easily describe and was the best moment of my day overall. I've never been a big Falcon player, but I'll be willing to give him a shot this time around.

That, and seeing him means good tidings for Ness to arrive soon. More perfect attendance characters makes me a happy Smasher.

Honestly, I had to include a Captain Falcon bonus because he's Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Robin
100%
I doubted Robin when Gematsu appeared true. It truly sunk my spirits, as Robin was in my top 4 most wanted characters, (along with Rids, K Rool, and Sceptile). However, when I saw Robin in the trailer, I cried tears of joy. I was so happy that Robin got in, with a creative moveset to boot. I do sympathize with Chrom's supporters, especially with the crap they got when victory seemed so close, but seeing as a character I love get in at the cost, I appreciate your sacrifice. (pardon for being selfish)
Lucina
100%
I support clones. I really do. When clones play differently, it really helps the diversity with the roster (See Falco, Young/Toon Link, Roy). Lucina looks like a clone done right. I really can't wait to see more of her. Besides, I loved Lucina in Awakening...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
In order of their video appearance:

Lucina Satisfaction: 95%

I like Lucina in Awakening she's one of my regulars although I usually make her a war cleric because I love how she looks with axes and that War cleric dress. When I saw her revealed as a newcomer I was shocked especially because I was mentally prepared to expect Chrom. Lucina and Robin's reveals were a huge relief to me because I did not want Chrom. Neither Robin or Lucina were my most wanted but they ranked pretty high. I believe Robin was the main feature while Lucina was just a bonus and for a bonus i'm very well impressed so I don't really mind that she has some clone attributes.

Robin Satisfaction: 100%

Robin's reveal was perfect, I was even more shocked to see him than I was with Lucina! I love the very small details in his moveset, the items they use breaking is a huge part of Fire Emblem and I love to see it represented in Smash. I also like that they get to use a lot, and I mean a lot, of magic spells. He has the basics down minus light although that's understandable. What I do not like is that he took Anna's Levin sword, it made me feel sad but oh well can't have everything right? Regardless I love Robin's inclusion, they are easily my second favorite newcomer next to Lady Palutena.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Robin - 0%
FE doesn't deserve 4 reps. Not into avatar 'characters' either.

Lucina - 20%
Much better than Chrom and I'm glad there's a female sword user but I really dislike clones.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, this should be obvious.

Robin is my most wanted newcomer (not counting Mewtwo). I've supported him/her ever since I've joined here. I've written pages upon pages of arguments and defenses and analyzed every little bit of evidence that could possibly matter, all for him/her. Even in the face of the Gematsu leak, even when everyone (no, seriously, everyone) said Robin was impossible and we were in denial, we Robin supporters believed that hope would never die and that anything could potentially change. And now, it's all come to fruition. I was right. WE were right. And our beloved tactician has finally tipped the scales in favor of a bright future for Smash.

I cannot even begin to describe how amazing this is. But I'm sure my fellow tacticians understand.

Lucina Satisfaction: 55%
Well, on one hand, she seems to be a near complete clone of Marth. Which isn't exactly a good thing. On the other hand, we did get Robin, so it's not like Fire Emblem is only getting poor representation. And the fact that she's such a clone means that she likely didn't take up much development time. So, I'm kind of indifferent towards her inclusion. But I do like Lucina though. So maybe having her in Smash could be pretty cool.

Last edited:

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Robin: 100%
Robin has always been my preferred Fire Emblem newcomer. All hope was nearly lost once gematsu proved itself to be likely... but I still held out hope, no matter how irrational. Today I was very surprised and VERY happy as a Robin supporter to finally see him/her be confirmed! The moveset is just as I had envisioned it, there are both male and female options, the only way for it to get better is more hair styles and/or hair colors!

Lucina: 70%
I have been a big Lucina fan ever since Awakening released, and to see her get confirmed was a confusing experience. I always thought she didn't have much of a chance, to me she was that character who I thought was highly unlikely, but the one I would like to see the most. I have been ready to main a Marth alt with her mask for a while now, but to see her get her own slot is amazing! The cloning aspect is a huge disappointment. From the information we have currently, she appears to be a semi-clone. I would have much rather seen a Lucina with a completely unique moveset rather than what we got. The only reason I rated her an 70% is because of the character, if it would've been someone I wasn't a huge fan of I would be calling Sakurai out right about now.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
-Robin satisfaction: 100% Do i even need to explain?, my most wanted newcomer, the character that i had almost lost hope one, making his triumphant return, with all of the hype included, this game is seriously complete for me at least.

-Lucina satisfaction: 60% Well, i like Lucina, but she seems to be a clone so i can´t say i'm too exited for her, i'm rather mixed for her inclusion but all in all there's a part of me happy to see Lucy made it.

Nominations: Absolutely no one x55

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He plays exactly as I wanted him to. Tomes plus Sword. Female Robin is playable too! And he uses the Levin sword to boot! I couldn't be happier.

Lucina satisfaction: 100%
She was handled the way I wanted her to be - a derivative of Marth. Fire Emblem didn't really deserve 4 characters and they adopted the strategy which would make most fans happy without using too much time.

So, in the words of Captain Falcon, YES!

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Lucina satisfaction: 55%
Robin satisfaction: 99%

I honestly cannot be upset about them. Not only does Robin look extremely interesting, but the reveal was spectacular! We get two newcomers, one of my most hated potential newcomers deconfirmed, AND the Gematsu leak was actually wrong! Not to mention Captain Falcon.

The amount of hype after the trailer makes me not even able to truly judge the characters. All I can think about was the amazing reveal. Although, I can say that Robin definitely stole the show and I'm not quite as hyped about Lucina as I am for Robin and Chrom's deconfirmation, so that's why her rating is quite as high. Speaking of Chrom's deconfirmation...

NOT Chrom satisfaction: 110%
I am not trying to offend Chrom fans, but I personally really didn't want him in this game.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
My Satisfaction from Robin:
100% - Robin seems like just the technical high-risk-high-reward character I like along with Ness and Villager. The moveset is very nice with the multi-tier magic specials and the tomes changing Robin's normals, incredibly fresh.

My Satisfaction from Lucina:
90% - Granted, there's a Bias influence of about 10% from being the reveal to finally kill that vile Gematsu "leak" after Rosalina could only dent it (liked the characters, hated the idea of it being leaked so early and wanted different characters as well), but she seems like a nice successor to Roy.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Robin- 100%, I am very pleased with the way this character was handled. I am very interested in her moveset. It appears the tomes have a limit to their usage - I am curious how that works and how much better they must be than normal specials to make up for it. Overall, this is a very unique character and I am thrilled to try her out.

Lucina- 0%, I am not a fan of clones or even semi-clones. This was really unnecessary in my opinion. I am happy for her fans, but I personally am not excited by this inclusion.

*edit

Lucina - 50%, Now that I've seen that her moveset is almost a direct duplicate of Marth's, I've warmed up to her. I'm guessing not a lot of development time went to her, which is fine by me.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Robin..ROBIN..ROBIIIIINNN!! YOU-
*Waits 13 hours*
Okay...I've calmed down from the blow...

Robin:
73%.
+An FE character that uses Magic.
+Female MU looks cute.
-Loosing points because i'm still butthurt.
-Not that interested in his/her moveset.
-I don't care too much for the default MU as a character, so him/her joining was somewhat underwhelming, and probably the least excited I've been for a newcomer. If they confirm complete customization for Robin, I'd be happy.

Lucina: 89%
I’m really, really joyful she’s in after what happened to Chrom, and it made me feel smart since I expected her as the 4th FE character. Sadly, not with her father, and with a Mother that didn’t look like the one in my playthrough…
However, even though I don’t have anything against clones (save Ganondorf), I’m not happy that after so much “She won’t be a Marth clone, she fights nothing like him”, she is actually a Marth clone. I blame the opposers. Her idle stance being Marth's is a pain too.
On the other hand, since Marth got the nerf hammer, she has potential to be my main, and I can completely understand her being a low priority character. She’s getting way too much hate imo, it’s not like she’s using a beloved “slot”, right? Wait, she is? The one for the 4th FE character 90% of this site didn't expect?Le Sigh...
Why some people think just making her an alternate costume for Marth would be better, I will never understand, and I am happy that in the end, us Lucina fans don't have to deal with that proposed Tekken-like injustice.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Robin: 85% Although I wanted chrom, robin looks really cool and a unique addition!

Lucina: 25% if she had a unique move set this would be higher, but she is a blue haired swords women who looks like Marth and fights like him too.

Falcon:999999% best part of trailer hands down, total beast!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
These Lucina scores surprise me and that makes me happy.

I was against the character just on account of not liking the character but I love how they turned out. Mage characters are always a favorite of mine in FE so he might be on the main short list.

Lucina: 100%
I now have all three of my most wanted newcomers (Rosalina, Palutena and Lucina). Yeah she's a clone but we all knew they had to come eventually. Better to find out through her than through Ganondorf, amirite?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Robin: 100% Sakurai not only added Robin, but he didn't make him strictly sword or magic in order to reflect his tactician class. I like almost all different types of magic are usable by him as well. I'd like to have a better understanding of the levin sword and the tome mechanics, but for now he sits at a 100% from me.

Lucina: 80% I'm one of few who don't mind clones. Just because they look the same does NOT mean they play the same. Lucina will be a fun character, and I'll probably prefer her to Marth.

GloriousDay

Smash Rookie
Robin: 97%
Honestly, I didn't care much for Robin getting in or not. I actually preferred Chrom before I saw everything Robin was capable of. He looks like he's a really interesting character and he completely shatters the expectations set by the leak. I'm still a bit upset about Chrom and a bit antsy about Shulk but the reveal was done really well and I'm looking forward to trying Robin. Now if we could somehow import our Awakening characters he would be perfect.

Lucina: 85%
If Chrom didn't make it she was my second choice for an Awakening rep. A bit disappointed by her seemingly similar moveset to Marth but I'm sure with a bit of development time and some more information things will get cleared up and she'll have some more major differences. Even if she doesn't change, I'm happy to see Fire Emblem finally get some meaty representation with two great characters.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Robin: 100%
Perfect. Absolutely perfect. The moveset is intriguing, the trailer is a masterpiece, and he's a character that I'd completely given up hope for. Definitely going to be one of my favorite Smash memories in the future.

Lucina: 75%
I'm happy. I'm fine with Fire Emblem getting four reps this time around since one of them is a clone, and this clone happens to be of one of my mains. I'll definitely try her out and I may even comain her.

D

Deleted member

Lucina and Robin Satisfaction have been added to the Directory.

I wanna tell a story.
You see, I've heard nothing but great things about Awakening. A lot of people told me it is a good game, but I didn't bother to get it. First... it was laziness and disinterest. Then, it was because of the Fire Emblem speculation. I grew interested in getting FE:A, but I didn't bother because I didn't walk out wanting some random, no chance FE character to get in Smash 4 (like Tharja or Owain for example) and I didn't want to walk into FE speculation while saying "I WANT CHROM/ROBIN/LUCINA FOR SMASH 4!" For the past few months, I have been talking with a friend of mine about Awakening and he eventually convinced me to get the game.

I played the demo and I was quite impressed with what I saw and played. That same day, I bought Awakening and I didn't regret it one bit. It has some fantastic music, dialogue, story, and characters (my favorites being Tharja, Owain, Lon'qu, and Gaius). Honestly, this is a game that I played for hours and I still do; I love fighting against the Risen and unlocking supports between the characters just to see some dialogue. It quickly became my second favorite 3DS game, behind Kid Icarus: Uprising.

When I was thinking about characters that I wanted in Smash 4... I was a bit disinterested in the main three. I didn't like Robin for being pretty bland as an avatar character, Chrom for being bland in general and having abilities that didn't meet my interests, and Lucina because I feared that she would be a Marth clone. Recently though, I've grown to like the Tactician a bit more. Instead of treating the character that is named after me as me, I thought of him being his own character. Don't get me wrong, I still found him to be a bit bland, but it made me appreciate the character more. As a result, I started to support his inclusion more, especially when he could wield swords and tomes. Oddly enough, I started my support officially... last night. Robin wasn't my top FE pick (I prefer characters like Owain and Tharja to be quite honest), but I much, much prefer him over Chrom. If we rated him today prior to his confirmation, I would have given him a 90% in want; not my top FE pick, but he oozes with uniqueness.

I was hyped for Shulk today... but...
Grandmaster Tactician, Robin - High Deliverer
Satisfaction:
100%

I am really hyped for him and it's hard to explain why. Sure, I screamed when I saw Elwind and thought it was Monado Purge, but Robin overall got me hyped. As I rewatched the trailer, I grinned when he arrived and said "Time to tip the scales!" Just seeing how he fought was also just the perfect way to represent Fire Emblem.
Weapon? Check.
Tomes? Check.
Limited weapon use? Check.
It combines two elements from the series and puts it into one character while also putting in a major Fire Emblem mechanic that Marth, Ike, and Lucina fail to show. He honestly looks like a fun character to play as! Especially with the tomes that he used! (though, it slightly bothers me that he can use Nosferatu, which Tacticians and Grandmasters can't use)
I also grinned when I saw Chrom lying on the floor during the trailer. It just felt... righteous. I didn't really like Chrom in Awakening, so I had to learn to suck it up and deal with him. I will admit that what Sakurai did was cruel with how he treated him, but it felt so... great.
Honestly, Robin is my 2nd most satisfied newcomer, only behind Little Mac. I just didn't realize how much I wanted him until yesterday. I feel ashamed for joining in late... better late than never I suppose!
Would I main him? Probably not, but he would be a fun character to play as every once in a while.
I'm glad the scales were tipped in Robin's favor! Thank you, Sakurai!
"We're not pawns of some scripted fate. I believe we are more. Much more."

And then we get into...
Lucina - Foreseer
Satisfaction:
30%

I will say this now: I like Lucina as a character. There was more development with her than Chrom and I preferred her over him. In terms of Smash though... I preferred Chrom, mostly because he would at least bring something to the table. He wouldn't bring much in my eyes, but I highly feared that Lucina would be a clone of Marth... and that came true. I'm not a big fan of clones in general...
Though, I'm not terribly opposed to her inclusion. I'm glad that she's in for her fans' sake at least. She was also one of my friend's most wanted newcomers (the one who convinced me to get Awakening), so I'm glad that she got in for his sake.
Hope will never die, as Lucina states.

If I can make one complaint about both characters, it's their facial expressions. Seriously... they're awful! I hope that they get fixed ASAP!

Currently, I'm replaying Awakening, so the timing of this trailer couldn't be so perfect!
Oh! And the way Captain Falcon was handled in the trailer was brilliant! ...I just wish his Falcon Punch was executed. :(
EDIT: Since everyone else is doing this.
Captain Falcon
Satisfaction:
100%

It's freaking Captain Falcon! I'm super excited that he finally made an appearance and just seeing him in the trailer was amazing. He was an obvious veteran for sure, but how can you say no towards seeing an HD Falcon Punch?

Moving on, the Gematsu leak is most likely false.
Ratings for characters will now improve, but no one will break the 90% mark.
Shulk will be brought back down to 80%. I think that he holds a lot of merits towards his inclusion and I think that those merits will help push him in. Besides, he's been teased a lot on some fronts.
As for the Chorus Men... they'll be brought down to the 20%-30% mark. However, the concept of a Rhythm Heaven character in general would get a 95% from me. With the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, I am convinced that we will get someone from this series.

That's all I have to say. Here's some awesome music:

Last edited by a moderator:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Satisfaction

Let me start by saying I would've been ok with Fire Emblem staying at two reps. It is a smaller series and I'm not really into it. I could see it getting three, because Star Fox had three and is a similar size. But four? I didn't see that coming. At all. It's not that big, and as I guess Lucina demonstrates, there's not enough there without getting away from the main characters who seem to mostly be cut from the same cloth.

I will say I will be quite annoyed if Fire Emblem ends up with more representation than Donkey Kong, considering DK has about 8x as many sales as Fire Emblem. I definitely would not have given Fire Emblem four reps unless the roster was going to be huge. Which is the upside here - if Fire Emblem can get four reps, then the roster must be larger than I thought. Which is a great boon to the chances of Ridley and K Rool, as well as other characters. So they both get some glow from disproving the Gematsu Leak. I had come to accept that the proposed 47 Gematsu roster was the most likely, and this announcement blew that roster to pieces.

Anyway...

Robin looks interesting. There's definitely a lot to learn about his move set. How do the books work? Does he always have access to fire, thunder, wind, dark, light, etc.? What about his two swords? etc. etc. But he's much more interesting than Chrom would've been, that's for sure! I just hope he's not stepping on Shulk or Isaac's toes by being a magic AND sword wielder (Shulk is probably safer in that regard as he would not be projectile heavy).

Add in female Robin as an option, and that's great too. They actually made a Fire Emblem character that looks quite interesting! Pretty much the best possible FE character choice for me, considering I was bored of Marth + Roy + Ike and was not enthusiastic at the prospect of another character in that vein.

Which brings me to Lucina...

She's a clone. How much of a clone, we don't know. She has, at the very least, unique taunts. But we don't know how else she differs. She might have some unique moves that we just didn't see. Who knows. I doubt she's merely an alternate skin - I don't think Sakurai would reveal her like that if that's the case. That's Pic of the Day material, just like male WFT, female Villager, etc. Or like female Robin, just something tacked on.

She looked pretty fast... It might be that Marth has been slowed down a bit and Lucina is a weaker version who is more like Melee speed. Considering Marth was #4 and #5 on the respective tier lists, he could stand to be nerfed a little bit.

But in either case, she is just like the Lucina haters said: A boring Marth clone. Which is not horrible, but it's certainly not exciting. I may change my judgment if we learn she has some of her own non-taunt moves.

But she does get a little bonus points for increasing female representation.

I know we'll probably be doing another Newcomer satisfaction day tomorrow, but I felt it necessary to look at all of them to figure my thoughts, so here's how they go now, without commentary:

Mega Man: 100%
Rosalina: 83%
Palutena: 80%
Wii Fit Trainer: 78%
Robin: 72%
Robin looks interesting, with a very different move set (and appearance!) from previous FE characters. The addition of the gender swap option is enough to give them the edge over Greninja.

Greninja: 70%
Little Mac: 67%
Villager: 64%
Pac-Man: 53%
Mii Fighters: 37% ↑
Lucina: 27%
All in all, she's a boring addition who, so far, looks like the cloniest of clones. That might change as we get more info, but she's saved from a worse fate by increasing female representation and presumably taking little effort to make. But hard to get excited when the whole reason I didn't want Chrom was because I thought he'd be boring... only to find that Lucina is even more boring.
EDIT: It turns out she does not have any unique non-taunts. Hopefully she's different in more ways than her sword not having a sweetspot... at least power, weight and/or speed. Anyway, even more boring.

BONUS:
Gematsu debunking satisfaction: 90%
I'm only sad that Shulk is no longer a shoo-in. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy to see it go down in flames.

My previous satisfaction scores from last month:

Mega Man: 100%
Rosalina: 83%
Palutena: 80%
Wii Fit Trainer: 78%
Greninja: 70%
Little Mac: 67%
Villager: 64%
Pac-Man: 53%
Mii Fighters: 20%

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Robin 100%

Did not ex spect him and he may have gave ridley and mewtwo and king k rool and several other newcomers atvantage big time, because the gemusatu leak is dead. (Even though it said nothing about no more newcomers.)

Lucina 100%

Same as above

And as for the captain ITS OVER 9000%

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Robin:98%
That entrance. That uniqueness. I honestly used to support Robin pretty hardcore too, until he started gaining a lot of popularity, so I'm definitely glad he made it, and I'm glad he represents the different classes of Fire Emblem well too.

Lucina:100%
She's in my top 3 most wanted newcomers (Other ones being Palutena and Vaati) so of course I love her. I also do kind of like clones and semi-clones, especially if they're of Marth. She also hasn't had enough screentime yet, so she could still have a good amount of differences between her and Marth. Also, she's not Chrom. :grin:

Bonus
Captain Falcon:100%
They made Falcon look like an utter badass in the trailer and focused alot on his power. I loved his confidence too, which made him look like a worthy opponent of Lucina. (Good thing Robin came though)

Overall trailer: 10000000000%
Lucina and Robin confirmed, Gematsu leak finally dying, and the deconfirmation of Chrom while still having him somewhere in the game (although I was hoping Assist Trophy) made this trailer the best yet.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Lucina - 100%

Finally, finally, I've gotten one of my favorite potential SSB4 newcomers. Gematsu had me in a pretty big state of non-hype for character reveals and even the game in general, so being pulled out of that squalor by a character I wanted so much was unbelievably satisfying. Felt really silly watching the trailer live at work this morning because of how much I was freaking out for the duration, especially when Lucina first appeared and again when she was shown to actually be a character after the vague reveal card. Lucina may not have been the true star of the show, but her reveal's easily my biggest hype moment for the game thus far.

Now, as a character? I can totally understand how some fans may be less than thrilled about a clone newcomer, but personally I've got zero issue with it. Brawl helped me get over any existing prejudice I had against clones thanks to Toon Link, a character who seemed like a bizarre choice when I first heard about it yet became an instant favorite upon actually playing him. I'd never really enjoyed playing Link in Smash thanks to his speed/weight and Young Link simply felt weak, but Toon's floatiness proved to be the element that finally made the moveset incredibly fun for me to play. Now not only am I getting my favorite Link back, but I'm getting my favorite Fire Emblem character in Lucina with the proven Marth moveset that perfectly fits her character and that I've loved since Melee? Heck yes I'm excited for that!

If I've got any criticism for her reveal, it's that it was fairly vague and taught us precious little about the character. How will she be different from Marth? Could she perhaps bring back the old Shield Breaker? Why in the world did they have to use that "?!" that has led to pointless speculation of her being a glorified alternate costume? However, this is minor nitpicking: all I really care about is that Lucina's in the game, and not only that, but she was the first proof that Gematsu isn't perfect, making characters like Ridley and my personal favorite in Isaac tantalizingly possible all over again. How could I not be 100% satisfied by that?

Robin - 90%

Lucina was a big surprise, but one I still thought was quite possible and even kind of expected. Robin, though? Wow, I really didn't expect that. Even after Lucina's appearance I was half-expecting Shulk to jump in and reenact the Gematsu law upon the land, or perhaps have Chrom steal the spotlight somehow despite appearing injured, yet in came Robin as a fourth Fire Emblem character and a massive blow to the leak that was dominating the speculation scene. What a crazy reveal! As a character I don't care much for Robin, but he's definitely a great pick for Smash and the trailer did plenty to prove that. Definitely like the focus on magic in his moveset, to the point that he even wields a Levin Sword, and the final smash where he teams up with Chrom is all sorts of cool. Heck, they even made sure to include the female version!

What's tempering my excitement at the moment is the idea of the tome system. Obviously I can't say how exactly it will work yet, but having his moveset rely on differing power sets with limited charges could prove to be more annoying than its worth. For a bit of perspective, one of my favorite characters in BlazBlue is Platinum the Trinity, and while I generally really enjoy playing as her, her drive that has her pulling out randomized items with limited uses is equal parts fun and frustrating. Fishing for specific items you need can be a royal pain, and you only get a small number of tries for any item before you have to pull out a new one. It's why I can never stick with her as a main despite how much I enjoy her, and from the sound of it, the exact same could happen with Robin. Overall still a very satisfying reveal for sure, I'm just not sure I agree with the specific implementation.

EDIT - Bonus Hype - Captain Falcon - 100%
I have no idea why they chose to reveal Falcon here, but as a hardcore F-Zero fan I couldn't have asked for anything better. Seeing his iconic eyes lighting up through the dust, followed by his absurdly confident fighting and acrobatics...there may not have been any doubt he would return, but to have him return with such swagger, and with such hype company to boot? What a glorious way for him to return!

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
A beautiful surprise that I was not expecting. Robin looks good. They weren't at the top of my wishlist, but I'm glad they're there to add some much needed diversity to a group who needs a departure from the swordplay-heavy styles critics malign FE reps for.

Lucina Satisfaction: 100%
I didn't care how they did it, I just wanted them to do it... AND THEY DID!!Goku1!1 I know full well Lucina is going to share a ton of similarities with Marth, but I'm pleased to have her on board anyway. She's my guilty pleasure. The Kenny Loggins playlist tucked away on my hard drive.

Overall, today's reveals were encouraging for the remaining state of the roster. It almost feels too good to be true and I hope these top shelf newcomers haven't come at the expense of some veterans. A mostly-intact Brawl cast with the new PCs we have now, and the ones we may get in the future, will be amazing.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Robin and Lucina: 100%

I thought about writing up a post for each of them, but both of them amount to the same thing in the end. I actually love clones, more clones=more characters, we've gotten plenty of unique newcomers this time around for me to be satisfied, and Lucina would have been my #1 choice for the first clone. And Robin, dear lord, ROBIN looks so much fun to play as. I love Fire Emblem, and I can't wait to play as these two.

But even then, my ratings would have been around 70ish%, as there are still other characters i want in more. But Robin and Lucina also came with an added bonus, the death of the Gematsu Gospel. The speculation is alive yet again! I hated the leak because it took all the fun out of guessing the characters who could be in this game, but now, HA! This speculation game can be fun again! XD

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Robin: 95%. He/she was handled incredibly well. The movepool is interesting, his/her mechanic is reasonable and unique, and Robin brings diversity to the roster.

Lucina: Abstain. Unlike Robin, we haven't even seen what Lucina is really capable of besides emulating Marth. Is she a faster character than Marth or did Sakurai simply decrease the landing lag as suggested by the fans after E3 so that she appears faster because of it? We cannot say with certainty.

I'm hoping that she receives some unique mechanic such as having the sweetspot in the middle of her blade, as well as possibly being able to temper the Falchion into the Exalted Falchion where she enjoys increased damage. There are certainly other ways to make her special, and I would probably rate her between 70-100% depending on how Sakurai handles the mechanics, but if she's going to be a complete clone with no special traits whatsoever (Which I'm doubting, it is Sakurai after all), she could very well end up with a mere 0-20%.

I would still like to see what Lucina has to contribute to the game, and I'm sure Sakurai will reveal more information very soon, but as far as I'm concerned, we have another Marth with breasts and ovaries. At least Link and Toon Link differ noticeably by weight, size, speed, etc.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Robin: 65%
I remind you, this means he does get me some hype, as it's more than 50%.

He's not particularly low for the same reason most trailers will be for a while, I don't know what his move-set is because of those damn custom moves!! I think I've got a handle, but I don't trust it... but! If it is what I think then it's pretty awesome! I'd still prefer Isaac as our spell-sword, but that would still happen, especially as JPB Robin would likely be more ground-based. Either way I'm happy he's the inclusion for FE:A.

Lucina: 45%
No hype exactly, but now I've seen some analysis I guess I'm happy. She seems to be Marth from the previous games, but without the Tipper; she's more aerial, faster hitting, but has Roy's sword mechanics... As someone who was kind of disappointed with the Marth changes, I can only be happy, but it is a semi-clone, and one even less obviously different than Roy, so ya know... Yeah, I wish it was Roy instead!

Gematsu Leak loosing water: 100%
YAY! As one of the few who was still hugely skeptical (I would of given it 20% chance of being true after E3, but abstained due to certain people) I feel so much better than I can come back to this game and not be attack for my opinions on the matter.

Last edited:

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
RIPIP Gematsu leak, may you serve forevermore as a reminder of why people should always take these types of things with a grain of salt, no matter how genuine they may seem.
Sorry, just had to get that out there.

Lucina: 75%
Funny thing is, I think I actually rated Lucina as being more likely than Chrom way back when. Still, I was hoping that she'd have a moveset that wasn't so similar to Marth's... not that it's impossible for more abilities to be revealed in the coming days.

Ah, this is where the reveal really got exciting for me. Wasn't expecting both of them to be playable, even though I was hoping for one or the other to be revealed. Robin seems to fight exactly as I envisioned him/her to, and I'm pretty glad we finally have a FE rep who doesn't just use swords.

D

Deleted member

Robin Satisfaction: 60%

I can see why others are excited, but I'm personally indifferent.

Marth Alt Lucina Satisfaction: 70%

Regardless of whether Lucina is an alt or a clone (until the official word of Sakurai states otherwise, you cannot convince me that she is the latter), the developers obviously put time, money, and effort into creating a new character model and recording voice clips.

I know I'm going to be flamed for this, I don't see a reason to be that excited. Okay, I get to play as a female Marth with long hair and alternate voice clips. As an avid Marth player, I'll most definitely use Lucina as much as the Altean king himself, but what else does she have to offer aside from aesthetical differences and the simple novelty of playing as arguably one of the more interesting characters from Awakening? All of the newcomers that I'm excited for (Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, and Pac-Man) have high satisfaction ratings from me not only because I like those characters, but because they look fun and unique. I know I'll enjoy Lucina, but she's not unique.

Edit: So it turns out that Marth and Lucina are two separate playable characters with subtle differences. However, this doesn't change the fact Marth's animations were lazily recycled for Lucina. More effort would have been nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
Lucina: 70%

I have absolutely no connection to the Fire Emblem franchise (been meaning to give it a shot), but today's reveal was incredibly exciting. I'm fine with clones. They aren't that exciting but I really like the inclusion of Lucina. Fire Emblem at 4 sits just fine with me, as the franchise really seems to be on the rise. And Robin looks to be one of the most interesting newcomers thus far, and I'm looking forward very much to playing as him/her.

Most of all these reveals did something that the E3 reveals failed to do: surprise me. This is what's excited me the most so far. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, and especially Greninja were all really exciting. So while Little Mac, Megaman and Palutena were among my most wanted, I expected them in the game. So while of course my satisfaction for them is at 100, I absolutely love these surprises.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Lucina - 90%
For a long time I found Chrom to be the most likely and both Robin and Lucina sharing that second spot. That said, I never expected either of them.
It happening completely destroyed my mind. I still have not come to terms with it. The moment I saw Lucina's newcomer tag I could not believe it, to the point of barely even processing the beautiful fight going on.
Now, it's not 100% because she's a Marth clone. That said, I'm so freaking happy she's her own character and that we got her instead of Roy. Yes, I know I'll attract the hate of many from that statement, but when the entirety of Fire Emblem in Smash was a constant sausagefest and the most likely female lord before, Lyn, stuck in AT limbo ... I just had lost interest in fire emblem characters in Smash.
Lucina was the first pebble in destroying that. Clone of Marth? Don't care, I want to use her at some point. Not as a main, because I already have too many as it is, but I'll definitely enjoy using her.
****ing applause Sakurai. You took a game with such minor female representation and now there's so many powerful women all over that I can't help but feel happy.

Oh, but the real mindplosion came after

Robin - a million %.
This is by far the greatest, most satisfactory surprise I have had in the history of Smash. I mean, Sonic in Brawl was huge ... but I expected it. Mega Man and Pac-Man were huge ... but I expected them. Palutena is a huge ****ing deal to me ... BUT, you guessed it, she was expected.
Robin, meanwhile, was that distant dream. It's like when people sit down staring at the stars and go "hey, wouldn't it be dope if Rawk Hawk were in Smash?" and then you spend all night realizing how awesome an idea it is and making movesets and being so excited, even though deep down you know, hell, it's never going to happen, ever, ever, ever, because the real world is not that cool and popularity isn't that fair and goddam it it's just a dream.
That was Robin to me last night. I was literally talking to a friend about how I was ok with Chrom, but too bad it wasn't Robin instead. Robin who was constantly in my top wanted since I saw the idea and it invaded my mind. But always deep down sure that it would just not happen. Sometimes it seemed more likely, and this whole thread shifted there ... but then reality seeped back into everyone's minds and Chrom would dominate again.

That was the environment for me. Robin was sooo wanted, but I never even thought of her as a character I'd main because she would not happen. Kind of like Greninja, except Greninja I thought about for one minute before figuring "nah, too recent." But for Robin it was a whole year of wondering about how cool she'd be.
I'm rambling now, but what I'm trying to convey that the moment I saw elwind, my mind just went in shock. I was in public and couldn't jump or freak out, so I just internalized all of the emotion and was in shock, shaking. Lucina was there, Chrom was on the ground ... it had to be Robin who interrupted. And thus descends the tactitian from the skies, tells us all it's going to be alright and get confirmed with the most epic line the character has in the game - "TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!"

****, I still can't believe it. This was a phenomenal day for being a Smash and a Fire Emblem fangirl. I went in expecting Shulk and being excited about that, but the surprise was ten-fold. I could hear Sakurai laughing while slapping away all this leak business, and suddenly not only was the dream of Robin alive and REAL, but now all these other characters like Ridley and K.Rool are alive again.

The next few months are going to be INSANE. Robin reminded me how shocking character reveals can still be, and I love it. I also have a definite main to use when friends get sick of my Palutena yelling the names of her attacks ... only for my Robin to yell the names of her attacks xD

I'm rambling again ... just, ugh, what a great day.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Lucina: 70% - While not part of the top ten. She's a female FE rep, which get's me excited. And she's not Chrom
Robin: 80% - She looks amazing and I'm going to be using her alot. Once again, not my most wanted but is a magic user. So that's cool.

Well I got a white/silver haired magic user from Fire Emblem. While she's not Micaiah, she's pretty cool.

The fact that Chrom isn't in the game, I give this direct 100% Satisfaction overall.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Robin Satisfaction: 100% :4robinm::4robinf:

I CAME!

Robin was one of my pipedreams. A character I wanted, but thought would never get in. It just made so much sense to me and Robin was just a neat character (albiet with little personality in the source material).

Still, I was hyped for Monado Monday. I had started Xenoblade Chronicles in celebration of Shulk. I was ready! I was hyped! I viewed Gematsu as the gospel and at that point I was ready to give it my blessing. I was excited for all three newcomers though at the same time I was hoping for more.

When the video started I was confused.

First it was Awakening music with Chrom on the ground and Lucina being hit by something.

I thought it was Chrom's reveal trailer.

Then came Lucina's tagline.

I was confused and instantly assumed that she was part of Chrom's moveset. I was expecting Chrom to jump up and join the battle.

Then Captain Falcon :4falcon: came in. That was hype but that's another story.

When I saw Elwind come down, all brain functions stopped.

I just watched.

I was too shocked. I was numb.

Nothing made sense anymore.

When Robin finally brought the thunder, I just stared with this weird smile on my face.

I watched the gameplay in silence.

Everything was perfect. Better than I imagined. The model. The gameplay. The transition from Fire Emblem to Smash was perfect and it was unlike anything we've seen before.

Marth, Ike and Robin. My preferred FE roster. I couldn't have expected this.

I was just happy. No other way to put it.

Then we got a bonus.

Lucina Satisfaction: 85% :4lucina:

Somehow Lucina snuck in here.

I don't even.

We somehow got ourselves (what I assume to be) a last minute clone! And I'm perfectly okay with that.

It means more options, more characters and more possibilities at only a fraction of the development time.

I'll admit, her gameplay looks so-so. Marth's gameplay is fun but not my favorite.

Lucina is a neat and likable character but it does seem kinda weird to have her and not Chrom.

Still, I'm excited to see her. Though I think the reason is because Gematsu really doesn't know everything. Heck it may not know anything else.

There's so much more in this game that we don't know about.

We can get Ridley.

We can get K.Rool.

We can get Mewtwo.

ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!!!

Wait a minute.

Regardless, I was kinda bummed at how Chrom's fans were treated.

Ridley's fans were treated better.

That's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom