• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
heh, even people who don't like robin are rating him no less than 50%

Robin: 1000% (whoops did i put an extra 0? i don't think so)
loved the character, and it have done exactly how i would have him/her liked, can you ask for more?

Lucina: 80%
Clearly they had time to do only one Fire emblem character.... yet we ended with two. at least she is a clone that makes some sense, not like ganondorf (Yes, she could have been a completly original moveset, as chrom also could have, but that would meant no robin, unless robin as a zelda clone... but wouldn't have worked). I loved the character in the game though, so I'm pretty excited, and I love in general marth gameplay. my only issue (why not 95%) is that I at least would have prefered an alt instead of a very close clone because the extra developer time needed for balance, and the possibility that one completely overshadows the other, but who knows, maybe custom moves that doesn't work too well in Marth works better in Lucina, further luigifing her?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Ironically, the fact that Lucina probably had about as much development time as an alternate gender costume (if today's update is any indication) means that she probably didn't take up much time or resources at all.
They would have to balance her separately, working out the correct damages and knock-backs to make the moves if nothing else... personally I think there are a few other minor tweaks, such as animation speeds and such too, and the Miiverse post it simplifying.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Don't know why anyone is suggesting that Toon Link is more of a clone than Lucina. Lucina is, as far as we know, the most clone-ish character we've ever had.

Toon Link is significantly smaller, faster, floatier, has a different Boomerang, some different standard attacks (up-smash, dair nair), and different properties on most of his moves. So far, Lucina's moves have been described as identical. She could have differences in some stats (damage, speed, weight, etc.) but it sounds like Toon Link is more unique.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Robin 90% way better than Chrom. Always thought that.

Luciana 85% she looks like a light air marth with no tipping. I'd try that.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
For Robin and Lucina? I give them both 100%.

Lucina: I had a feeling that it was either her or Chrom to take the Awakening spot. Even though Chrom ended up as part of Robin;s FS, I'm still satisfied with Lucina being in.

Robin: This one certainly surprised me. But nonetheless, as I already stated with my views on Lucina, I'm satisifed overall.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Happy about Lucina, not Robin.

While Robin may be unique, Robin is an Avatar in Awakening, i.e. the player character. I think Smash has too many Avatars already in the form of Miis and the Villager. You could've replaced Robin with ANY Awakening character because they all have the ability to wield magic and melee weapons. I just feel that, longterm, Robin is a bad choice for Smash, not just for this game.

- Deconfirms Chrom, shocking us all
- Marth clone
- Probably closer to Roy

Robin: 10%
- Unique moveset
- Another Avatar character
- Any other character from Awakening would've been better

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
if takamaru isn't in the game with original moveset, then the only thing that Lucina "Stole" from him is being a Marth clone... would you have liked Takamaru to be a Marth clone?
I'm making a point of the fact that rather than pick a more fun unique character like Takamaru, he elected to once again go the clone route with Lucina.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm making a point of the fact that rather than pick a more fun unique character like Takamaru, he elected to once again go the clone route with Lucina.
He's making a point that he decided to release the game rather than make every possible unique character ever and keep the game in development until 2017.

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Alright, after some time to think about yesterday's crazy reveal, I'm giving Lucina an 85%.

First, the lack of a tipper may actually impact how Lucina plays more than one would think, for example, spacing becomes much less of an issue and one can become more aggressive up-close. Even when playing Roy in Melee I found myself trying to be more in their face as opposed to distancing myself away when playing Marth. And I'm sure there will be more Lucina-related mechanics to come.

Secondly, clone characters take up a scarce amount of development time compared to that of unique characters, so the allocation of resources isn't really lost upon the creation of Lucina. But to be fair, Chrom, Lyn, and/or Roy could have easily accomplished this as well, I'm wondering how exactly reception would be if it were one of those three instead... At least when Lucina was made a clone, it makes sense in the Fire Emblem universe. Ganondorf on the other hand... That's a whole different story to deal with.

However, I still feel somewhat salty that despite receiving four characters from Intelligent Systems, not one of them is from Advance Wars even though neither are competing with each other for a spot on the roster. While I feel as though four Fire Emblem characters on the roster may be overkill in terms of series representation, it could mean that IS is wanting to push Fire Emblem to become one of the bigger franchises of Nintendo such as Star Fox. While I most certainly would have preferred Andy from IS and still hope for his addition, Lucina is still a fine character to add to the game.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
But to be fair, Chrom, Lyn, and/or Roy could have easily accomplished this as well
Yes and no. Chrom uses the same fighting style as Lucina so he'd have to be a Marth clone too (or not make her, and have him as an Ike clone, but he can't use a number of Ike's Aether attacks), but his physique is quite different meaning he wouldn't be able to copy the move set as easily, he'd be technically possible, but Lucina is the more obvious choice given she cuts a more feminine figure just like Marth.

As for Lyn, she kind of doesn't work as her iconic sword is single edged, and both FE characters have animations based of having a dual-edged sword. And Roy is really limited away from this by Melee precident; if he got back in he'd have to be like that or further decloned (dat ranged fire blast damnit!).

Lucina really was the only one that could so easily be a clone of Marth, though Roy would have still probably been pretty easy to implement.

If it was Roy coming back I think we'd be much happier about it, but if they wanted a clone this close to Marth we'd have *******, so ya.

My guess as to what happened was they decided to make her an Alt Costume at first, had the model, and then a play-tester said that it looked wrong that her attacks where more powerful at the tip with her sword, so they made her a clone; though that's just a guess.

I guess that's fair. But I'd wait until 2017 if I had too to make everyone unique.
Not to mention, 4 characters for FE is kinda overkill....
Personally I actually expected 4 in this installment, I just expected a different 4:

Marth and Roy
Ike and Chrom

Each being a semi-clone of the other in their pair (with a little more alteration than with Lucina to Marth admittedly).

I'm not really shocked by the numbers, or feel it's excessive as it is a big part of Nintendo's Strategy now (it seems their go to RPG for selling new consoles for the most part [Wii U, why you slacking?]), as long as the other two under-repped (but not previously un-repped) big parts (DK and Metroid) get three unique characters I feel it's fair game.

PS: I feel AC could also be considered an under-repped big part of the strategy, but it lacks good choices for newcomers, unlike those two. The extended Wii franchise (and Tomadachi, Mii Plaza and such now I guess) probably has enough reps (maybe one too few given how big it is.. made up by alt costumes?) though with three Miis and WFT, g=so I guess that's a YAY!

Personally would of prefered Male WFT being a clone like this though, but oh wells.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Why its Lucina and not Chrom theory:
I honestly thought of it as Robin was added earlier on with the rest of the unique newcomers, and was already finished with a Chrom final smash implemented when they turned to Fire Emblem for 1 clone. 1 of multiple, I think, like it was in Melee, there will be more (Dixie and Dark Pit maybe?) There's no delay problem like there was for Brawl, it's not a stretch to assume the end of development is going similar to Melee's. Also, doesn't her model look the least... worked on? Or the least finished? Not a complaint, I'm not worried at all yet, I expect some touch-ups here and there. Maybe change her cheeks a bit, that's all. But if I had to guess which of the characters so far was added last I'd bet money on Lucina. And hey, isn't Palutena already looking expressive more often? Seems that way to me. Anyways, for a bonus/extra character with Robin and Chrom already in the game- she made a ton of sense. She's popular and represents the third of Awakening that Robin didnt :p

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Lucina: 7394% (100% ya know)
I still can't believe she's in! I have aways preferred her over Chrom and I got her. I got her in the better character trailer so far. She'll be one of my mains.

Robin: 100%
A pretty neat bonus. I loved his playstyle and everything. Too unexpected to me, a lovely surprise. One of my mains undoubtedly.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Before I rate them, I want to say that as long as we got an Awakening character I would be content. So I really did not have a personal preference on them.

Robin: 95%
A character I wanted, but thanks to the Gemtasu leak seemed impossible. Like most here, I expected Shulk. By the time Captain Falcon appeared, I was freaking out. Then Robin happened and I was really freaking out. His/Her moveset looks really interesting. Only reason for the minus 5% was the way the trailer treated Chrom. Definitely the most brutal way to deconfirm a character.

Lucina : 80%
She appears to be a clone or semi-clone which is fine. Clones take virtually no time to develop and Lucina is really popular. One of friends really wanted her, so I am glad she was confirmed.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Robin: 100%
Third most wanted character after Shulk and Palutena. I didn't even care that Shulk wasn't revealed as Robin was such a pleasant surprise. I have yet to see or hear any antagonistic comments towards Robin and thats even coming from people who have never heard of him/her.

Lucina: 40%
While I'm glad Lucina got in, I loved her character in Awakening, my excitement towards her started to diminish when I realized she was far too identical to Marth. Hopefully there are more differences than the initial impression offers.

Also, with Gemetsu gone I feel as though more characters will somehow be in and its great speculation is wide open. Sorry to Chrom fans. That trailer was a tad harsh

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Robin: 100%, totally love it, my third-most wanted character (originally that was Lyn, then it was "any FE character that's not Chrom," preferably a mage, then it was Robin), incredible moveset and represent the series very well.

Lucina: 70%, a clone, but she looks cool. I always liked the look of Lucina. I'm surprised but her inclusion, but I don't hate she's a clone and that's really the only way I could see Lucina working personally. I consider her just a bonus, Robin's the real newcomer from Awakening.

Happy about Lucina, not Robin.

While Robin may be unique, Robin is an Avatar in Awakening, i.e. the player character. I think Smash has too many Avatars already in the form of Miis and the Villager. You could've replaced Robin with ANY Awakening character because they all have the ability to wield magic and melee weapons. I just feel that, longterm, Robin is a bad choice for Smash, not just for this game.

Robin: 10%
- Unique moveset
- Another Avatar character
- Any other character from Awakening would've been better
Two words for you: Commander Shepherd. Robin is a created character, but still a an actual character, its something I had to learn as I never played Awakening, but after doing the research I realized that Robin was an actual full-fledged character, even if Robin happens to be customizable.

Burigu

Smash Ace
People claiming Lucina is stealing a slot are looking at the picture from the wrong perspective.

As some here have claimed already Lucina isn't stealing slots, she is like a bonus character, we can't be mad at Sakurai for throwing us a bonus like that.

The development team met their goals and expectations, only working on debugging the game and minor details, if you have still time wouldn't you put a little extra in the game if you can? that makes lots of sense

Be grateful, there are still more characters to come, if a character you wanted isn't included, it isn't because Lucina "stole" its place it's because the team didn't want that character in the game in the first place.

Edit: Also I don't believe in Fire Emblem overrepresentation, apart from the Mario Universe, Zelda series, Kirby series and Pokemon series, Fire Emblem is the one with the most games with 14, so I don't see the overrepresentation when we got Starfox with 3 characters in Brawl and only 5 games and Mother series with 2 characters and only 3 games, overrepresentation for me isn't a real factor or even a thing to limit inclusions

Why its Lucina and not Chrom theory:
I honestly thought of it as Robin was added earlier on with the rest of the unique newcomers, and was already finished with a Chrom final smash implemented when they turned to Fire Emblem for 1 clone. 1 of multiple, I think, like it was in Melee, there will be more (Dixie and Dark Pit maybe?) There's no delay problem like there was for Brawl, it's not a stretch to assume the end of development is going similar to Melee's. Also, doesn't her model look the least... worked on? Or the least finished? Not a complaint, I'm not worried at all yet, I expect some touch-ups here and there. Maybe change her cheeks a bit, that's all. But if I had to guess which of the characters so far was added last I'd bet money on Lucina. And hey, isn't Palutena already looking expressive more often? Seems that way to me. Anyways, for a bonus/extra character with Robin and Chrom already in the game- she made a ton of sense. She's popular and represents the third of Awakening that Robin didnt :p
Well I am still exceptical about Dark Pit as more than a pallete or boss because of this:

He is shown in the trailer and didn't get a presentation

While Lucina:

I don't see why do that for one and not for the other, otherwise yours is a really interesting point greetings to you in China!

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Lucina
Satisfaction: 99%
I wanted her to be playable more so than Chrom.
-1% for being a bit too similar in comparison to Marth than I wanted but.. she's in none the less!

Robin
Satisfaction: 100%
Finally! A fire emblem character who can use projectiles!

The events of yesterday went wayyyyy better than expected :)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Lucina - 70%

Happy enough with her, better than Chrom at least.

Robin - 100%

It feels so amazing to see Robin confirmed, I remember back when the Robin thread was only a couple pages long and very few people saw him/her as a serious contender. It was either Chrom or Chrom & Lucina, with no place for Robin.

and now here we are.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lucina Satisfaction: 65% The only reason this score is low is because of the fact she's a near-clone, and wasn't as unique as I thought she could be like many people proposed before, at least with her being a popular filler makes it understandable.

Robin Satisfaction: 85% I really like Robin's inclusion in the game, I'm a little struck that Chrom got deconfirmed though, it would have been nice to have him alongside the tactician.

Kef

Smash Apprentice
- My favorite character in Awakening, but her moveset being too similar to Marth is somewhat of a let down. Still, I've been playing Marth since Melee,so having a fresh new "balanced blade" mechanic seems interesting enough to be happy with her moveset. Hopefully she gets at least one unique attack.

Robin: 90%
- Another character that brings new gameplay mechanics to the table, which just makes SSB4 cast even richer in terms of variety in playstyles. This kind of reminds me of Guilty Gear. Never had a real attachment to the character because I thought he was pretty bland in Awakening, but he looks like a cool character in Smash. Also magic+swords, yay.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

Robin Satisfaction: 100%
I was among everyone expecting a Shulk reveal yesteday, but I hoped Sakurai and the gang would throw us a curveball and wow, did they deliver. Robin is looking to be everything I'd hoped he'd be: a spellsword with a massive repertoire of tomes and a playstyle that encourages, well, thinking like a tactician.

The Gematsu leak may have been accurate at some point, but now its entire second half is brought into question and we can freely speculate once more without it hanging overhead. And who better to disprove it than someone who surmounted fate time and time again?

Lucina Satisfaction: 70%
...Along with someone who transcended time itself in order to challenge it?

To be honest, I didn't think Lucina had a chance. I though she was too much of a spoiler for a game that'd only been out internationally for barely over a year. I thought it was really unlikely we'd see four characters from Fire Emblem. Wow, was I ever wrong. >_>

Yes, I'm a little disappointed in how she's looking to be a Marth clone, but it's a little more forgivable since it does make some sense due to being a descendant of Marth and masquerading as him for a while. I feel like it's too early to jump the gun and act like she's a full on copy of Marth, since we've hardly seen her in action. We even already know that she doesn't have Marth's tipping mechanic, and the people in the Lucina subforum are already finding some differences. She could end up being another Toon Link: his moveset is similar to regular Link's on the surface, but because of those small changes and because of other aspects of him, he plays very differently from regular Link.

Plus, we have no idea what her variant specials are. If hers are different from Marth's, it'd be one more way to help them play differently.

And to those worried about her "stealing" a roster spot: now that we know for sure there are newcomers the Gematsu leak missed, I don't think roster size is really an issue. If the developers felt free enough to add a 4th FE rep, there's a good chance we're looking at that fabled roster of 51...or maybe even more.

(Has anyone figured out why I've been using the colors I've used for percentages yet?)

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Robin 100% -- Speechless.

Lucina 90% -- Clone or not, HEY, SHE'S IN! *claps* Her representation is there, and rightfully so.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Looking over all these ratings, it seems like 98% of people here love Robin.

Who's overrated now, huh?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I guess Robin's cool, but I never did like Platinum The Trinity's playstyle.

I know some people who will play her and I'll gladly take my Lucina.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Robin satisfaction: 100% Plays exactly how I envisioned him and more. I would have been happy with just leaving it at "magic swordsman" but they went and put weapon durability and the Levin Sword and it all looks so freaking cool. Super excited to try him out.

Lucina satisfaction: 40% I'm really happy that her character is well shown aesthetically, with the brand and mask making appearances. Plus I like Lucina, so it's pretty cool to see her. Outside of that though, I'm not that excited. Never played Marth much and so far Lucina has no original moves, so she's just kinda there for me.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
:4robinm: :4robinf: - 100000 (100)%. Oh god. The only character that could hype me more would be Shulk. (I love K. Rool, but probably wouldn't PLAY as him.)

Oh god. I can't even BEGIN to express my hype! Absolutely incredibly excited, and speechless. Best reveal so far!

:4lucina: - 100% Damn. The only character ill absolutely accept as a full clone. SHE COSPLAYS MARTH, IT MAKES SENSE.

So hype for both of them. Bravo, Sakurai!

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Robin(s): 100%. I thought the Villager and Miis were already enough, but I'm very happy that he/she have their own set personality. And Chrom helping them out during their Final Smash? Cue internal spit-take from yours truly. Robin alone has polluted Gematsu's credibility, and that's pretty cool.

Lucina: 100%. yes good. a clone character with an identity of her own.:4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom