• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

When it comes down to my choices, I can't deem any of the Gematsu newcomers overrated nor underrated. So, I have to take this into account with my choice. With how late we are in the game and speculation, it's hard to truly determine who is overrated and who is underrated.

Most Overrated
I'm still perplexed as to how DBZ Goku managed to not get a zero in this game.
Then there is the matter of certain Fire Emblem characters, more specifically Anna. I am still stunned as to how she managed to get over 10%, even though there are four real competitors for that coveted 3rd FE slot. She should really be below 5% or near whatever chance score Tiki got before she was disconfirmed.
However, the most glaring character for me is Chibi-Robo. I'm not that confident in this character and I don't think that he truly deserves top 10 honors. I once deemed him underrated, but these scores really shot him skyward to points unimaginable.

Most Underrated
To be honest...
I have to abstain. I can't really think of any character or concept that I find to be criminally underrated. Most of the scores are just fine in my eyes. I even had trouble choosing a character when we were doing this for E3.

DAY OVER!
THIS TRAIN ONLY KNOWS ONE STOP AND THAT IS HYPE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Wow, this is a tough question.

Overrated: This one took a lot of thinking, but I'm going with Chibi-Robo. A little-known character from a few very much niche games is considered one of the Top 10? Is it because many people assume we'll get a secret "wtf" character? Don't the Wii Fit Trainer and a very likely Rhythm Heaven rep fill that niche?

(Honorable Mentions: Chrom and the Chorus Men are far from locks yet. We have a lot of evidence now that the Gematsu leak is outdated, or at the very least the source had incomplete information. Game development is never a smooth process, and characters who were placed on the initial roster could've been taken off or swapped out for others if problems arose. Brawl has its famous Forbidden Seven, and in Melee, Roy replaced Leif late in development. Perhaps they ran into trouble with the Chorus Men like they did getting Nana to work right. Perhaps Sakurai, a known Fire Emblem fan, decided to swap Chrom out for a character with inherently more uniqueness once Awakening became such a massive success that characters besides Chrom would still be well known. There's still a very decent chance that changes were made to the roster after the source last got information, or that the source wasn't informed of.

I do think Shulk is more likely than them, though. He doesn't have as much of a reason to have been replaced, and he 's been so requested, he'd be pretty high up even if it wasn't for the leak.

Part of me's also questioning Ridley. Yes, Sakurai is a troll, but...when there're so few boss hazards revealed already, it just...I just think it's a lot more likely right now that he isn't playable. If I'm wrong in that regard, I'm fine with it.)

Underrated: I'm still not 100% on this one, but...I think I might have to abstain.

I feel like Robin, and to a lesser extent Marshal and other characters overshadowed by the leak, aren't getting a fair shot (let's face it, if it weren't for the leak, Ike's reveal would've made Chrom's odds plummet). But...I don't know how much of that is impartial reasoning and how much is personal bias. OP, I'll leave it up to you to decide whether to have them count or not.

(EDIT: Crap, did I miss the deadline by seven minutes? ._.)

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I'm not arguing that that's the correct view. You asked how it made any sense that Chrom got lower than Gematsu, and that's how.
I know, still I find it flawed, it is all about people really hopping for other characters to be in.
People see Chrom in the leak and get mad because they wanted Robin, then when rating the leak they give the leak almost 100%, but when they have to rate a character like Chrom or Chorus Kids, they start saying "well the leak is real but the characters it mentions might be wrong"

I can agree that the posibility of a different character from a franchise mentioned in the leak IS posible, but up to this day that notion has yet to be proven true. So giving the characters in the leak a lower score than the leak based on an hypothesis yet to be proven is something I find wrong. (If this monday we get Robin or Marshal then I can understand the lower rating but until then...)

By the way I am aware you only responded to me, so don't think I am arguing with you, just sharing my point of view here :colorful:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Most Overrated: Ridley: I don't hate him, but I really don't understand all the fuss. People seem to forget Ridley isn't all that popular in Japan. His chances are highly overestimated in my opinion.

Remember, Ridley has the longest running fanbase out of anyone on the top 10 chance. His fanbase has been going on around Melee. Oh, and :4littlemac:.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I know, still I find it flawed, it is all about people really hopping for other characters to be in.
People see Chrom in the leak and get mad because they wanted Robin, then when rating the leak they give the leak almost 100%, but when they have to rate a character like Chrom or Chorus Kids, they start saying "well the leak is real but the characters it mentions might be wrong"

I can agree that the posibility of a different character from a franchise mentioned in the leak IS posible, but up to this day that notion has yet to be proven true. So giving the characters in the leak a lower score than the leak based on an hypothesis yet to be proven is something I find wrong. (If this monday we get Robin or Marshal then I can understand the lower rating but until then...)

By the way I am aware you only responded to me, so don't think I am arguing with you, just sharing my point of view here :colorful:
To be fair, we also had a lot of people jumping in and giving the Leak itself 100% while abstaining on the characters. That also didn't help.

D

Deleted member

Remember, Ridley has the longest running fanbase out of anyone on the top 10 chance. His fanbase has been going on around Melee. Oh, and :4littlemac:.
I still think his chances are overrated. I don't find him likely, and I don't care too much for him. Charizard satisfies my dragon niche just fine. Samurai Goroh also appeared in the Melee intro. Where's his giant fanbase? :troll:

Also do you seriously expect the west to get more than one bias character?

Just my two cents. It's my opinion, and it will be unchangeable.

D

Deleted member

Most Overrated

Dishonorable mentions include: King K. Rool, Ridley, Takamaru, and Porky
What a bad villain day indeed. Three of our dishonorable mentions were all villains. Despite this, Chibi-Robo managed to walk away as our most overrated newcomer. He just couldn't clean himself away from this title.

Overall tallies:

11x Chibi-Robo
9x King K. Rool
8x Ridley
5x Takamaru
4x Porky
2x “Gematsu Newcomers”
2x Bowser Jr.
1x Dixie Kong
1x DBZ Goku
1x Chorus Men
1x Micaiah
1x Shulk
1x Chrom
1x Mewtwo
1x Sceptile

Most Underrated

Honorable mentions include: Lucas, Mewtwo, Chrom, and Chorus Men
Ridley has shown once again to be a very polarizing character. While he dominated on both our overrated and underrated tallies, he has the big honor of being our most underrated newcomer again. Curiously, bar Mewtwo, the other three characters were mentioned by the Gematsu leak. Perhaps they deserve a bit more than what we gave them?

Overall tallies:

10x Ridley
8x Lucas
7x Mewtwo
7x Chrom
4x Chorus Men
2x Snake
2x Paper Mario
2x Robin
1x Dixie Kong
1x Takamaru
1x Isaac
1x Dark Pit
1x Captain Rainbow

After Monday's announcement and Satisfaction scores, we will be re-rating Chibi-Robo and Ridley!
Today, we will reflect on everything about the game and speculation thus far. Yup, we will be sharing our stories about our most hyping and deflating moments!
What was your most hyping moment? Did things like Ike returning, Pac-Man's confirmation, what's going on right now, any sort of leaks, or anything else hype you?
What was your most deflating moment? Did things like Ridley's shadow or the game getting delayed deflate your hype?
Please state your most hyping and most deflating moments today!
Again, nominations and predictions are on lock-down right now!

@ FalKoopa FalKoopa
@BigAxle
Please edit the title of this thread as I can't do it for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Thank you!
The Directory has been updated now as well!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Most Hyping: Pac-Man's reveal.
...do I need to explain?

Most Deflating Moment: Greninja's reveal.
Still don't think he's deserving of being in Nintendo's All-Star fighting game.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Most Hyping: Sneaky Spirit.

Most Deflating: Nothing really. I guess other people expressing their own disappointments.

D

Deleted member

Most Hyping: Ike's Reveal - It's always nice to see a unique character that people thought was gone returning. This was especially hype, because the day before I went on a massive rant to myself in my room because who am I gonna talk to about not wanting to see any new Fire Emblem characters before Ike returning. Now that he's back, I'm fine with 3rd FE character. Any 3rd FE character.

Most Deflating: No Veteran Reveals Since Ike - I'm an oddity in that I care more about who returns vs. who's added. I know Wario is probably a shoe-in, but at this point, the lack of veteran reveals is really scaring me. I thought we'd get a vet before another newcomer, but apparently not. Here's hoping that this'll be a similar case to Mac and Diddy Kong, and a veteran reveal will happen this month not to far off from now. Lucas please

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Most hyped moment: Pac-Man's reveal
I've always been open about Pac-Man's reveal and how they handled it was brilliant in my opinion. To start off, they didn't use his ghostly adventures design and instead used hi classic one. Secondly, the "red, blue, yellow". Four of the most famous characters in Smash just amplified my hype. Thirdly, his moveset. I had absolutely no idea how they would handle Pac-Man but they did, and he looks glorious!

Most deflating moment: Global Smash Power
Let me explain. Nothing has really subdued my hype for this game and I don't think this mode is bad. My problem with it was how they announced it. It had practically no hype for the Smash direct. I just found it a bit boring. That's really my only complaint.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Most Hyping Moment: Toon Link's Reveal

Of course. The one time when I couldn't believe the pic of the day, haha. I remember staring blankly at the screen while a chill ran down my spine and my hair stood on end.

Most Deflating Moment: The 3DS version getting delayed to October.

I was hoping for an August release... ah well.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Most hyping moment: So far, it's Mega Man's reveal. I didn't really expect him before then - I wanted him, but he's 3rd party! How would that ever happen? Then comes E3. Pretty awesome trailer, with the reveal of the Villager which was pretty cool. Pretty much all of it looked fantastic, so I was satisfied. I was about to make myself a sandwich when:

Suddenly, hype. Then a figure with spiky hair appeared and I was like, "Huh? Who's this? They seem familiar but..."
Then that glorious moment.

As soon as the helmet was added to the equation, everyone knew instantly who that was. Just look at any reaction video: This is the exact moment where they start shouting in excitement!
And it didn't even stop there! There were gameplay clips of the powers! The awesome music! Even the Yellow Devil at the end of it!
Pretty much, that part of the announcement trailer was simply AWESOME. I get hyped every time I watch that. So there's no question. This was my most hyping moment.

Most deflating moment: Palutena's reveal
Literally all of the other trailers had me guessing who they were. Well, aside from Little Mac but that is different. I didn't even realize the miis were the focus of their trailer at first: I was too caught up in the Reggie vs Iwata action. For Palutena's reveal? Trailer starts. Palutena talks and makes a brief appearance. My reaction was something along the lines of "oh, it's Palutena. Meh." She wasn't even a newcomer I wanted, but even then the big moment was ruined by a number of things. 1: The gematsu leak. 2: the leak with 3ds screenshots of her, which turned out to be completely legit. 3: the knowledge that because of this reveal, people would start treating the Gematsu leak as higher than Sakurai.
Not to mention that her skills were all rather lazily taken from abilities which had no relevance to her, her final smash only consists of 2 of those abilities, and that they outright spoiled the Chaos Kin arc of Uprising. Why? I have no clue. Completely unnecessary. That trailer wasn't entirely terrible: The fight at the start of it between Pit and Link was pretty cool. But that's the only redeeming factor. It left me with an incredibly sour taste and even now it causes even more problems for my hype levels, with people incessantly shouting that we'll only get those newcomers. Which is kind of dumb. Actually, now that I've typed all of this, Palutena's trailer only sparked the fire of my actual most deflating moment.
Actual most deflating moment: The Gematsu Leak
Hey, remember when speculation was fun? Well, we got a leak early and now people are clinging to it like a gecko super glued to a candy apple. So yeah, hoping we'll get someone outside of that leak on Monday so that we can shut them up.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Most hyped Moment: Rosalina's reveal.
Unexpected and I also really like Rosalina as a character and the Lumas are cute XD

-Most Deflating Moment: Miis.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Most hyping moment:

There really is something about your favorite character getting revealed. I seriously don't know if I will ever feel such intense emotion again, at least when it comes to any game. Ever.

Honorable mentions:
- Every Pre-E3 announcement including tournament details, Gamecube controller, and Reggie Fils-a-mech
- Treehouse coverage, featuring "everyone's afraid of Killager"
- Best Buy demo ... didn't get to play much, but whenever ANYTHING happened, the crowd went wild. Awesome experience.

Most deflating moment:
Mii Fighter aftermath.

To be clear, the actual announcement was done well, imo. The Reggie vs. Iwata fight was a great way to start E3, and Sakurai followed. Clean.
But then everything Sakurai said afterwards about the Miis just made everything worse and worse and worse. They're THREE characters instead of one. They've also spent time making sure all three are balanced (goodbye time!). They also each have extensive costume options. They also have mechanics so size changes their physics.
I cry whenever I think of how much development time they took, and I pray that if they're considering DLC it's because they realized they blew too much time on the Mii Fighter and should've spend it on much more beloved characters. ie. pretty much anyone else.
Add insult to injury it almost took a whole month to see Palutena mentioned again, while the Miis kept getting PotD. Like, I'm sure this grudge will vanish once the game is out and I'll use the character in time and all that ... but considering how much hype they took away during the last few months of Pre-Smash anticipation we have left ... ugh.

Honorable mentions:
- Negative fan reactions against Pac-Man/Palutena/Lucario/Greninja/Rosalina
- Sakurai's shoulder condition
- Some Melee players already rejecting Sm4sh.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Most Hyped: Mega Man's Reveal Trailer
I saw it. You saw it. GOT HYPED!!!

Most Deflating Moment: Mii Fighter Reveal
Not even playable online. It felt liked wasted effort, plus they look out of sorts with that fugly minimalistic design. Lego characters have more detail on them than Miis do.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Most Overrated: Bandana Dee
It is literally just a Waddle Dee with a bandana, and its not like he is unique, we have seen multiple different bandana dee's in Kirby games before.
Must Underrated: Ridley
People have some weird bias against Ridley's chances for some reason, despite his and Palutena's situations being exactly the same. Plus with all the evidence that has come out sine the direct( He is the size of Bowser, Mid air jump, ect.) I have to assume that the people who say he has no chance are ignorant or just have some weird bias against him.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Most Hyping: Greninja Reveal. I was watching the announcement direct for Pokemon X and Y last year, the thing that got me the most excited was the reveal of the goofy looking frog Pokemon Frookie. I go online, everyone is talking about how Fennekin will be the most popular starter and how Frookie was trash, at that point I left a comment saying something about how frookie will be considered the most popular when the game comes out. Months later, they reveal the final evolutions and the little frog Pokemon that no-one loved quickly became the most popular Pokemon in Gen 6 and has already become one of my all time favourites.

Naturally, this meant that Greninja was my most wanted Smash 4 character but I never expected him to get in. When I was watching the trailer for Greninja, I thought the mysterious shadow was Mewtwo and thought that was neat, but then I noticed that it was using a water shuriken and started screaming. This is my most hyped moment.

Runners up: Palutena "Leak", Mario Galaxy stage reveal and King Dedede's return.

Most deflating moment: The aftermass of the Greninja reveal.
There were a lot of people who hated that Greninja got in, saying ridiculous things like "He didn't deserve to get in","Game Freak are trying to shove this Pokemon down our throats" and "He is just a Flavour of the month character, he won't be in smash 5" (Just like how lucario wasn't in smash 4, but I digress...). The whole thing just really annoyed me, but just like with Pokemon X and Y, I'm confident that the underdog Greninja can win over the hearts of the Smash community.

Runner's up. Gamatsu Leak and October 3rd.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Most Hyped: Kremlings in Smash Run
I know this doesn't confirm K. Rool by any means, but the presence of Kremlings, characters that have been used sparingly by Nintendo since DK 64, changed King K. Rool from a somewhat unlikely dark horse, to a character with a legitimate chance at representation. Alot of people claimed that K. Rool has no relevance to modern Nintendo, and while that's unfortunately true, the Kremlings in Smash Run boosted his appeal, relevance, and chances by quiet a bit. If he doesn't get in, and Kremlings in Smash Run really do mean nothing, then my most hyped moment would be the Pac-Man reveal, he was my second most-wanted and seeing him use his Pac-Man World design invoked so much nostalgia that it urged me to go back and play Pac-Man World 2 again.

Most Deflating: Toon Link
There haven't been any moments that were really deflating. Ridley's alleged deconfirmation hurt (although I now believe he has a chance), DK's final smash not changing was fairly disappointing, Greninja not being Mewtwo hurt alot of us (although Greninja turned out to be pretty awesome), and the release date being pushed back from Summer to October was also annoying. But seeing Toon Link back in the game was something that was annoying to me. I hate clone characters, and although I'd be fine with Toon Link if he had his own moveset, he doesn't. I was happy to see he was gone at the reveal, as he was in the background of a stage, but unfortunately, he's still here. I know he has alot of fans, and that's fine, but personally, I think he's a waste of space that could have EASILY just been an alternate costume.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Most hyping moment: Seeing Sakurai explain the Villager in the Developer Direct.

Most deflating moment: Seeing that Gematsu was most likely true.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Going to take up a huge space to mention the top 3 things that made me excited. I love all newcomers and vets, so I shall not mention that, or the Smash Direct.

3) Toon Link reveal.
And I make an exception to what I said because Toon Link getting revealed made me really happy due to low expectations because of detractors. I find that Young Link (he's still Young Link) is as important to the series as Adult Link is, and not having them both in a crossover like this is as bad as having Ryu without Ken (Mahvel be damned). I also have nothing against him being a clone, because his purpose, gameplay wise, is to be a Link that doesn't suck.

2) The Super Smash Bros Inventational.
I loved it. I was crying during it. So many Smash fans united at one place, screaming at the world wide reveal of Mega Man's Final Smash. Plus, a huge tournament with 4 players and items on? If Nintendo continues to have more official tournaments with the same rules, then I may finally be interested in watching tournament streams for SSB games. Which reminds me...

This is the number #1 hyping moment for me:

1) No wavedashing or L canceling, and having Brawl-like floaty physics/Melee 3 deconfirmed.
Because I hate, hate, and I repeat: hate. The idea of this game becoming Melee 3. Seeing people who wanted that moan and give up made me so happy. Thank you Sakurai, for understanding how important it is to give the game its own identity, and not to recycle every overrated mechanic from Melee, down to the stupid "stop to pick up items" crap that even Project M keeps.

Deflating:
October Release date.
I'm importing an LL to play the game in September, but that was still insanely deflating until I learned about the Japan release date. Not to mention I'll be in college then, so that may make having a planned SSB3DS party really hard to have.

Honorable mention:

Seriously. I will never forgive the internet for hyping that World Fair thing up. Stupid ad creators.

Honorable Mention 2:
PotD Friday disappointments.
This is just moaning, but every Friday I get disappointed when there's no veteran reveal or stage reveal. I blame Smash Boards overhyping it. I suppose its a sign he's spoiling us with this. I'll be able to at least calm down and have low expectations for the 2 weeks after the Monday reveal.

Honorable Mention 3:
Fan butchering of any confirmed newcomers/vets.
What? I love everyone confirmed. Seeing any of them get butchered blindly is sad, especially since I have great respect for every Nintendo series out there, and end of day its nice to see everyone in. Such as Greninja. I've never seen nor heard of Greninja before that reveal, yet when he was revealed, I immediately loved his addition and got Pokemon X just to learn more about him.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Most Hyping Moment:

E3 2013 Trailers.
HD Smash Bros? Portable Smash Bros? Mega Man? At the same time??
Sign me up.

Most Deflating Moment:

E3 2014 Trailers.

...and then Mii Fighters.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Going to do it a bit differently this time and not talk about Ridley. Woah, I know.

Most Hyping: Ike's reveal

This is still my favorite reveal over anything else. Ike is just a boss, but all things considered I was about to give up on him. Then randomly, out of nowhere at the end of may he suddenly shows up, and my god does he look fantastic. Everything is just perfect about Ike at this point, I'm so psyched I won't have to give up on him. His reveal also finally gave me the courage to jump into Fire Emblem itself, I didn't want to play Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn in case Ike was cut as it'd make it all that much harder, but since he was revealed I jumped right into it. I'm currently halfway through Path of Radiance, and it's great, I'm truly fighting for my friends now.

Honorable Mention: Dedede's reveal

Most Deflating: Palutena's reveal

Okay, so I could list all of Gematsu here I guess, but I don't want to as it hasn't truly been fulfilled yet, and I want to narrow my choices down a bit more too. First off, Palutena's trailer just sucked. The anime fight scene, while a little jaggy in animation, was pretty cool, I sure don't mind seeing Link give Pit a proper beating, but then Palutena happens and it just goes wrong. Fan-service shots, bad puns, uninteresting presentation, dialog nobody but KI:U fans understand (aka 5% of the people who are going to buy these games), and all in all it just let me down so big. Not to mention her reveal was already ruined beforehand thanks to her getting leaked and Sakurai teasing her in the most obvious way, it felt like a waste of a reveal in all honesty. She also looks godawful boring to me, she doesn't interest me in the least, so in total there's just a bad vibe around the character for me.

Honorable Mention: Rosalina's reveal

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Most hyped :

The moment I tought we were getting a new Kirby Air Ride, then Kirby in MK8 ?
Not the Rosalina trailer, really just the fake-out of a new kirby air ride followed by Kirby in MK8.
Not sure if it counts.

if not, the speculation until April 2014, if it still doesn' count then no, I'm still waiting to be hyped even once by those games.

Most deflating :
Ridley's shadow followed by Dark Samus as an AT followed by Sakurai trying to be funny with his "Zero Suit Samus is cut" !
It's been more than 3 months already but I'm sill as pissed than I was back then.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most Hyping moment:

E3 in general was hype, although not so much for Smash; Captain Toad, Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Yoshi's Woolly World, Amiibos, etc were what was getting me by. Mii fighter did little for me, and Palutena's trailer was...well, I didn't see what the hype was about honestly.

But it was this moment that made Smash Bros. 4 truly hyped for me. Finally a newcomer I could get excited about! I'd supported Pac-Man for a while, and was overjoyed to see this incredibly deserving third party get in.

Honorable Mention:

Took entirely too long to get Yoshi revealed, what was it? 11 months? We knew the dinosaur was back for sure but it was so damn satisfying to see Sakurai hold that Yoshi figure up and talk about him. Seeing my main after so many months of nothing I could get excited about really helped my Smash slump.

Only doesn't beat Pac-Man's reveal because I knew it was coming, I just couldn't work out what was taking so damn long.

Most deflating moment:

This one right here.

Not a big surprise this is my choice, but this one pretty much cemented it. Toad's model was updated since the original images(and actually the model's pretty good) and then of course add Rosalina turning up and taking what one would presume is the only Mario spot on the newcomer roster and bam; I had a pretty bad day.

Probably the worst one I had during the year + of Smash speculation.

Honourable Mention:

This Pic of The Day.

Yoshi's New Island release date; many were speculating we'd get him...the PoTD was two hours late; it HAD to be Yoshi, right?

NOPE. Enjoy this rather dull image that doesn't really tell us much about the stage even.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Hyping: Best Buy Demo

Honorable Mention: Palutena Alights!, Rosalina and Luma launch into battle!, Smash Direct announcement, The new Monday newcomer announcement

Deflating: Finding out that Palutena's temple is freaking huge

andimidna

Smash Master
Woah. Hype incoming.
And I was the last person to find out lol
Well...

Most hype: Rosalina
Hm: Palutena

Least Hype: Mii Fighters
Yep. It's not Toon Link this time. I think the Miis just look gross in every potd. Toon Links model looks great, and he's sort of become my #2 Brawl main after ZSS. He took so little time to add, yet Miis have the combined moveset of 9 newcomers, and the moves look boring and cloney. No thanks.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Most Hyping Moment - Mega Man's Trailer

Yes, still. How can you disagree? They very carefully showed off the history and work, and just oozes enthusiasm and awesome. Honestly, what else could be said?

Most Deflating Moment - Mii Fighters

Ugh. 3X the work for a single character that adds a bunch of credibility to the Gematsu Leak? That's just too much in one go. Ack.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Most Hyping: Kremlings in Smash Run

Honorable Mention: Little Mac's Reveal

Most Deflating Moment: Three F***ing Miis Revealed

Dishonorable Mention: Palutena's Reveal

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Most Hyping: Little Mac Reveal.
This was amazing. The trailer for him was amazing, the moveset for him is amazing, and his playstile is also amazing. I wasn't lucky enough to see him revealed live or to play the demo, but I can tell that he will be at least one of my secondaries. I am looking forward to playing him and I can tell that I will be playing as him a lot.

Most Deflating: Greninja Reveal.
I already expressed my hate perfectly before, so I will just pop this down here.
Most Deflating: Greninja reveal
This was absolutely horrible. I was watching the direct and I was so hyped for everything I saw. The character montage at the end was just the icing on the cake (and that was the best cake I'd ever had). I was just about to shut down the computer and go to the hype city in my head, when it happened. I saw all of the pokemon lined up and Charizard was on the top of a mountain. Then I saw all of the characters using their projectiles and Mario running forward, and then I saw it... I thought I had seen Mewtwo charging up the most epic energy ball ever. I was so excited. You know how I said the montage was the icing on the cake? Well, seeing "Mewtwo" in that cave was like giving me a second cake with more icing than the first! Then once Mario and Charizard were about to collide "Mewtwo" fired off his ball of pure hype and I saw a figure hanging from a tree. But it wasn't Mewtwo, my second most wanted character. No, it was Greninja. All of the cake just exploded in my face at that moment. It went on to showing some clips of Greninja's moveset, but I was too mad to enjoy any of it. I was so close to getting my favorite character from my favorite series playable in smash 4, but it was snatched right from me. I was mad the rest of the day, and even having a video game debate with my uncle couldn't cheer me up. I ate a glorious dinner that day, but I was too busy thinking about how Greninja had gotten in before Zoroark and even Meowth and about how much excitement was ripped from me when Mewtwo was teased like that to enjoy it. I never have and never will look at Greninja the same way again. I will now and forever think of him as the hype thief.
However, that is not the only thing I dislike of the game. None of my top ten most wanted characters have gotten in. Heck, I have only gotten one from my top twenty. The only ups to this are that Mewtwo is likely to get in, but that doesn't count for much considering that he is technically a veteran. The other one is that Chrom is practically confirmed, but there won't be much hype when he comes because I already know that he's in. The others on my list are most likely not in. On top of that, I have disliked almost half of the newcomers. Out of the nine characters I have disliked: The Mii Fighters, Greninja, Rosalina & Luma, and Wii Fit Trainer. Once you take the leak into consideration, I also don't want Shulk or the Chorus Men. However, despite all of my griping, I am still looking forward to the game despite the horrible roster and I am not trying to say that I don't think I will like it.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Most Hyping: Megaman's Final Smash at the Invitational. the Crowd went wild.

Honorable
Mention: Sonic Announced!

Honorable Mention 2: Megaman's Revel Trailer. I was so Hyped! He nearly cut Mario's head!

Deflating: No Veterans reveled at E3 2014

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Most Hyping: Villager

Still my favorite newcomer so far.

Honorable mentions: Lucario, Little Mac, Mega Man, Ike

Most Deflating: Ridley's shadow

ugh

"Honorable" mentions: Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Most Hyping: Pac-Man Hungers for Battle!
Honorable Mention: Greninja Reveal

I wanted Pac-Man in the game for his legendarily iconic status, but seeing his trailer made me fall in love. He had such charm and class, and I was pleasantly surprised by his moveset. Greninja is still my most hype newcomer overall, but the method by which I discovered his inclusion wasn't quite as hyping. I unfortunately found out about him on the Pokemon subreddit :( I suppose it's for the best though... if I had actually watched the direct and saw his trailer, being blown away by the shock and awe of seeing one of my favorite Pokemon making it into Smash (whom I never thought had a chance) I might indeed have died of hype.

Most Deflating: Customizable specials not usable when playing with anyone online
Honorable Mention: Mii Fighters

This was a tough call to make. Both are just so dreadful, but in the end I decided that finding out I wouldn't be able to use custom specials online was the worst of the news. Custom specials came across as a great idea to me. They give me a great reason to go back and experiment with long time veterans that I love like Kirby or Yoshi - characters whose series I grew up with but whose presence in Smash has grown stale due to presenting nearly the same moveset in each game. I would love to play as Yoshi with a new set of specials. Yet the fact that we can't use custom specials online, not even in For Fun, is just devastating to hear. I mean, I understand the reasoning behind not allowing them in For Glory, but c'mon - items, Final Smashes and ridiculous stages are all making it into For Fun but custom specials won't?

Mii Fighters deserve mention for being a disaster all around. I felt sick when I first saw them because it nearly convinced me of the Gematsu Leak. Not only that, but the fact that ludicrous amounts of development time have been devoted to three of the most stale and boring movesets is upsetting to say the least.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Most Hyping: :4mii:. I love the Miis and their unique Classes, plus the trailer of Reggie and Iwata fighting was amazing. I'm excited to play as them. Especially the Gunner.
Honorable Mention: :4megaman:

Most deflating: Ridley's Shadow. My god, I want a definitive answer of if he's in or not.
TELL MEEEE.
Honorable Mention: :gw: in Pac-Man's trailer, but no page on the SSB4 website.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Most Super Mega Ultra Plus Hype Level 9000!

1. The Best Buy Demo: Total pwnage

My previous ones were Lucarios reveal, then Greninja's reveal, and I didn't think I could get any higher then that. (Unless either Ridley or Rayman was confirmed) But let me tell you a story:

Once upon a time, I rode a train for an hour and a half, and walked another half hour to get to the nearest bus stop to my house. I waited in line for 2 hours. 1 hour into the wait a Best Buy employee came up and told me that I probably wouldn't get to play, there wasn't enough time. But there was no way I was gonna leave, this was Smash Bros! The line got shorter and shorter as the time to close up was fast approaching. I was almost to the front of the line, annnnd!

They closed up.

So I went back Saturday to do it again. (I have an unhealthy obsession. Sue me) Same thing happened, long time to get there, 2 hours waiting, employee said I wouldn't make it. (Thankfully there was a screen showing off the gameplay this time, so the wait was less painful) It was fast approaching closing time again, and I got LITERALLY THE FINAL MATCH!

I was so excited to play this game! I picked Bowser, favorite character in the demo, we went to Skyloft, and I completely DESTROYED the 3 other people playing with me. I ended with 7 kills and one death. Hype levels went through the roof, and I spent the 2 hour travel back home with a big smile on my face.

I cannot wait for this game. Because it is going to be epic!

Most Deflating, soul crushing moment: Again, I didn't think something could top Skull Kid's disconfirmation or the lame PotD's. But something did:

E3 2014's Smash Bros reveals:

I was shocked at how disappointed I was with Smash Bros at E3. Miis were something I had never wanted, I had lost my interest in Palutena a long time ago, and her trailer was my least favorite out of all the Smash Bros trailers. Pacman's trailer was amazing, but I found out over a twitter feed, removing most of the enjoyment I could have gotten out of it. We got 3 leaked characters, all of whom were fairly obvious that they would be in the game. It just felt... bland. The most exciting thing for me were those brief glimpses at other things in the 3DS demo, as well as seeing things shown on the demos. But one thing, ONE THING sent my hype plummeting.

October 3rd.

October 3rd.

THAT AINT SUMMER!

But ok, ok, I can live with that, it's just a delay, the game will still be awesome, right?

Wait... what's this...

Japan's release date: September 9

I was LIVID upon learning this, and let me explain why:

When Brawl was releasing, I was so hyped for that game, i woke up at 5 in the morning just to see what the new Smash Bros update was (I nearly died when I saw Sonic). I couldn't wait to feel the same wonder I had with Melee, unlocking characters that I didn't know were in, experiencing new things... And a few months before release, I saw this:
And shortly afterward the entirety of Subspace was leaked

All the surprise. All the excitement I felt to find out the new roster, to experience the awesome looking adventure mode. Gone. Leaks are unavoidable in this day and age, unless you want to forsake the internet and fellow humans. And now I'm going to have the entire roster leaked to me AGAIN because Japan get's the game 3 weeks early! I work as a video game tester with a bunch of other Smash fans, there is NO WAY I can avoid leaks for this game for 3 weeks!

Sooooo..... yeah. E3 sucked for me in regards to Smash Bros. Thankfully Best Buy came to the rescue shortly afterward :p

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Most hyping Moment:

Palutena's reveal, honestly the only character in the whole history of Smash, that I really wanted and actively supported, she is the reason I am here in the first place.
  • Her trailer was really well done
  • Her moveset actually comes from her game, (nothing wrong with out of nowhere moveset like Captain Falcon but the more a character can represent from his/her game the better), Pit brings the weapons and Palutena the powers, perfect Kid Icarus Uprising representation.
  • I don't mind the spoilers in the trailer Kid Icarus is not really new anymore and SMASH IS A BIG SPOILER FRANCHISE.
  • The trailer shows that Nintendo actually hears the fans at least KIU fans, with Shaft doing the animations in response to animated cut Palutena's Revolting Dinner.
  • The leak didn't even ruin this for me until that day the leaker could have been a lucky dude with predictions so Palutena wasn't 100% in my book
  • Being in a winning team feels so good. Especially when you can say to retractors " I told you!"
Honorable mentions
  • Yoshi reveal, I don't know why I didn't put him in the last time Yoshi has been my favorite videogame character of all time. I was sure Yoshi was in, there is no way he would be out.
  • Magnus deconfirmation
  • Dark Pit deconfirmation

Most deflating moment
Mii fighters

• They were better executed than I originally expected, yet they aren't really Nintendo characters in my eyes just avatars (althought Tomodachi Life might change that).
  • I don't hate them but they take 3 characters out
  • The among of promotion they are getting in the PotD there is at least 1 pic of them per week
  • They were mostly wanted by casuals, I understand that Nintendo wants to appeal everybody but 3 different Miis were necessary?
  • Thank God they are not allowed online, the among of Sherks and other stupid things would drive me crazy.
I use that green color again just because it's green like Palutena's hair and Yoshi's body

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom