• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Squirtle
Chance: 10%
Want: 60%

Ivysaur
Chance: 15%
Want: 25%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Both
5% Chance
100% Want

I hate character cuts. Any veteran we rate save Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link would get a 100%. If I was here yesterday, here is what my Roy score would be...*DON'T COUNT*
Roy
33% Chance
100% Want
And here are other Questionable vets just for reference

Snake
80% Chance
100% Want
Ike
90% Chance
100% Want
Wolf
90% Chance
100% Want
Mewtwo
99% Chance
100% Want
Jigglypuff
99% Chance
100% Want
*DON'T COUNT*
I like All Characters to stay. That's just how I roll. I think that they could appear as DLC, but I dunno...

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000

So Majestic..

I'd use this as my avatar if I didn't run the Slime thread...
Don't worry Cheezey Bites, I've done it for you:laugh:
Squirtle:
Chance: 10%. We will see what happens.
Want: 85%. Would have preferred him over Charizard to be honest.
Ivysaur:
Chance: 11%. We will see what happens. One percent more for lack of a grass type.
Want: 86%. Would have preferred him over Charizard to be honest.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Squirtle:

Chance: 15%. It would seem that the removal of transformation characters and emphasis on Charizard in Greninja's reveal trailer would imply that Pokemon Trainer and his other Pokemon are getting cut. Additionally, now that every Pokemon (sans Pikachu and Jigglypuff) are in their final evolutions, keeping what is essentially a baby Pokemon would feel out of place, especially given that he is unpopular compared to Charizard and his own final evolution, Blastoise.

Want: 5%. Squirtle was quite a charming character in Brawl, but the Trainer's gimmick was really frustrating in Brawl and with it gone I don't think Squirtle has the star power to stay along, unless he's leveled up a little and become Blastoise.

Ivysaur:

Chance: 15%.
Pretty much the same as Squirtle in terms of chances. I'm not giving him points for being a Grass Type, as having him and Charizard and not Squirtle would be unfair, especially because he's not even evolved.

Want: 20%. I like him a fair bit better than Squirtle (you're welcome, Swamp) but I don't really mind either of them getting "released into the wild". The only way I could see him getting in, in essence, is if he becomes Venusaur, but I have always found Venusaur to be somewhat ugly. I would rather we get another Grass starter (like Meganium or Grovyle)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'll rate these two together as I think they're on the same boat.

Squirtle and Ivysaur
Chances: 5%
It's really surprising how one thing can change so much, a while ago we rated them (via PT) in the 90s in percentile because we couldn't see them out of the cast, now they're in a position where their chances of returning are in extreme jeopardy. With PT (most likely) gone, the mechanic that they were heavily connected to has died off. Thus they have to go solo if they want to be on the cast and unlike their compatriots Mewtwo and Jigglypuff who also are contenders for being in the game, it's a bit harder for them to make a case for themselves to get into the game as both have more merits to them and aren't tied to a gimmick that just had the plug pulled. Plus, they haven't been given any hints to returning, despite Pokémon having an direct trailer and fellow transforming characters ZSS, Charizard and Sheik being directly pointed out to return, which really puts them in a very bad position.

Now, I put them together because I don't think one has something that puts them over the other. Ivysaur is a grass type, but the triangle has shown no hints to being adhered to and it was not that popular a starter or a form to begin with, it more served to fill the gap between Squirtle and Charizard. Squirtle is more popular, but it never matched to Charizard and it doesn't stand out compared to the other Pokémon choices either. Both are in the same boat I believe, and I honestly don't think one of them will return over the other.

Want:
Squirtle 65%
Ivysaur 50%
I don't like that they have to go, Squirtle in particular is a Pokémon that I am attached to from the early days and I did like playing with him in Brawl. I will accept it if it has to happen, but I will miss them all the same.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Squirtle and Ivysaur - 1%

Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will get in first, that I have no doubts on. I know slots don't usually mean much, but in this case...I'm not sure...

They seem to be making a rather big deal out of Charizard being solo too, given how he and Greninja got their own trailer, and since they made no mention of Squirtle and Ivysaur, I'm guessing Sakurai purposely avoided mentioning them, unlike ZSS and Sheik, who ave the own slots now. (the former of whom was briefly trolled on, being claimed to be cut for a moment before revealing it was a joke seconds later) He was hoping to let them down easy, I suppose.

Want - 95%

Them being cut doesn't hurt me THAT badly, but I'm still quite sad that they're most likely gone. I love them both. Ivysaur was also my personal favorite of the three, the one I used the most, and the one I was best with overall. Depending on what character(s) I'm going up against, I may be better off with Charizard or Squirtle, but overall my Ivysaur is able to handle quite a lot of situations online. I really like Squirtle too, having chosen one as my partner in Mystery Dungeon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Squirtle and Ivysaur:

Both: Chance: 1%

They mainly rode Charizard's coattails...

Want: 100%

...but that doesn't make me want them back any less.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Squirtle & Ivysaur

Pros
+If we're getting 8, sure.
Cons
-Greninja causes type repetition, and we're ignoring Pichu
-Charizard was their ride in Brawl.
-Charizard is the most popular of the three. He'll be the one to live.
-Mewtwo and Jiggs. MEWTWO AND JIGGS. No, seriously. Those two have better shots, even Jiggs who has mostly became fodder.
-Was not hinted at all, unlike the two other transformation groups.
-Grass Type evolution is also a possibility. Could be Sceptile, honestly.

Overall... they're in the wrong neighborhood. Seriously, this is likely the big cut we've seen so far, and I don't see them returning.
OVERALL RATING: .3%

Want: Both are 1%. This is like how I don't really like Ocarina of Time that much... I never had appeal for either of the two.

Predictions, for the lols:
Bowser Sr Jr Jr: 3%
Jiggs: 80%

Smady

Smash Master
Squirtle

5% Chance: I'm convinced he's cut, but he's a veteran, and Sakurai may elect not to cut any original sets. He's not so far, the one exception ironically being Mewtwo. He is a water starter, like Greninja and not an impressive character next to other possible Pokemon newcomers who can pretty much take up his space.

50% Want: I'm indifferent either way. I don't like playing Squirtle, but cutting an original moveset is never good in any context.

Ivysaur

15% Chance: Not a water starter, although I could just as easily see a new grass type starter. That could be Ivysaur's evolution, Venusaur, or Sceptile, or one that isn't thought of as likely. In any case, it's up in the air.

90% Want: I'd prefer Torterra, but that aside Ivysaur or Venusaur are two of the best grass starters to add and I enjoy Ivysaur the most of any Pokemon Trainer Pokemon. Squirtle at this point has some moves replaced vaguely by Greninja, although it is very small bits and pieces. Ivysaur's removal without any grass starter replacement would be very stupid. Although I'd be okay with that if we got Mewtwo.

Bowser Jr.: 5%
Mario's not getting another newcomer, but more importantly no Shadow Mario transformation.
Jigglypuff: 90%
One of the original twelve, not getting cut.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Squirtle
Chance: 5%
Want: 10%
Maybe if I play it alone could go up, never liked the Trainer mechanic.

Ivysaur
Chance: 7%
Want: 33%
More unique moveset and our only quadruple character, probably would play it more if it was alone.

.n_n.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle and Ivysaur:
-Chance: 3%
Charizard entering the fray solo does hurt their chances significantly. They are both the same to me; Squirtle has popularity, but is hurt by the Water-type, Greninja. Ivysaur, though he has a Grass-typing, is not all that popular compared to Bulbasaur and Venusaur.
-Want: 70%
I do not like cuts, especially from one of my favorite series. I'll miss them, but I will understand why they won't. I just hope we get a Grass-starter to finish the triangle.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Both: 0.1% Chance / 25% Want
They're as good as gone in my book. Which I'm okay with, because they were really just holding Charizard down in Brawl.

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Squirtle: 5% chance
There's not a whole lot going for the first water starter, especially with Greninja around.
One of my favorite starters and my favorite to use out of the Pokemon Trainer trio.
Ivysaur: 10% chance
Only marginally better.
Want: 99%
I was pleasantly surprise how it played in Brawl and would love for it to be available again.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Ok. Here goes nothing:

Squirtle:

Chance: 5%
Two Water type starters looks to be a bit redundant in my eyes. Since Squirtle would have to be solo if he returns, I don't think he's coming back because he doesn't have enough going for him on his own. Charizard has two Mega Evolutions, and Squirtle doesn't have one. Now before you yell at me: I'm aware that Blastoise has a Mega Evolution, but we're talking about Squirtle here. I also highly doubt Sakurai would fully evolve Squirtle just for the sake of giving him a Mega Evolution because Squirtle's playstyle was being small and mobile.

Want: 0%
Don't get me wrong; I love Squirtle as a Pokemon, but I don't want him returning to Smash. Charizard was the only one of the PT trio that I actually cared about, and I'm perfectly happy with just him returning. I feel that Pokemon has more to offer. Plus, I think that Greninja is better suited for the role of playable Water starter.

Ivysaur:

Chance:10%
I think he has more of a chance just on the grounds of being a Grass starter, but I don't think that will be enough to bring him back. All of the reasoning I used for Squirtle other than his type also applies to Ivysaur.

Want: 0%
I didn't care about Ivysaur being playable in Brawl, and I feel that there are better Pokemon options at this point.

Basically, I want and expect Squirtle and Ivysaur to be cut, and Mewtwo to return. I think that he and Greninja should fill the missing Pokemon slots. A Pokemon roster of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja is my ideal setup, and I think it has a strong chance of happening.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Squirtle and ivysaur - 0.5%
their dead, the only chance was to be the other parts of the pokemon trio and to ride Charizard back into the game, now that pokemon trainer is dead and Charizard going solo they have no chance other than being dlc fodder, which i'm more positive pichu has a better chance in. their done.
Squirtle and ivysaur want - 100%
I was an avid player of Pokémon trainer in brawl and even used them more in PM, heck I liked their playstyle more than Charizard. its sad to see them going to be cut
bowser jr. - 2.75%
most people believe Mario not getting a newcomer, and even then most see paper Mario as an better option
Jigglypuff - 98.55%
she's part of the original 12,
she's not going anywhere

Groose

Smash Champion
BTW first time participating in this thread, wish I did sooner!
Welcome! If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know!

So. The consensus here so far is that Ivysaur is slightly more likely than Squirtle? To that, I have just one reply...

Do you forget who Squirtle and Ivysaur are? I believe you must have forgotten that to come to such a conclusion. Squirtle is one of the three famous starters of the Kanto region. It's one of the most recognizable Pokemon of all time; it's had prominent roles in everything from merchandise to the anime. I'd even argue that Squirtle is, besides Pikachu and Charizard, the most widely-known starter Pokemon of them all.

How about Ivysaur? Ivysaur is the middle evolution of the least popular starter line of the original generation. It has had much less promotion and holds much less prestige than a Pokemon like Squirtle. It doesn't help that second-stage starters are the ones that people often forget about. It's glaringly obvious that the order of selection for the Pokemon Trainer went Charizard-->Squirtle-->Ivysaur. Ivysaur was always the most expendable... always more expendable than Squirtle.

I understand that you feel that a grass-type is necessary to "complete the trio." I personally disagree, and even if I did agree, I would question why you would choose Ivysaur. It's not nearly as big of a name nowadays as Charizard or Greninja, and it would also be the odd man out in the trio in that it's stuck in its middle form. Additionally, I'm also puzzled as to why having two water-types is somehow unacceptable. Just take a look at some of the other sets we have: two (soon to be three?) blue-haired lords from Fire Emblem, two swordsmen in green tunics named Link, and three blaster-wielding space animals. Two water types wouldn't be any worse than these things in my eyes, and I think Sakurai would concur.

Even so, I just don't think this matters much at all. I, like many of you (kudos for @FalKoopa for taking a stand in the other direction) don't think that these guys have much of a chance. Based on how the last trailer was the big Pokemon blowout, I'd take a guess that we've seen all of the Pokemon we will before launch... and I deduce that a certain two Pokemon are waiting there, hidden and ready to be unlocked. Jigglypuff is essentially a Smash tradition, and I really don't see it going anywhere. Mewtwo is an exceedingly popular Pokemon--so popular that its absence as a Pokeball is extremely noteworthy. I'm going to assume that they're both in... and that doesn't leave much room for more Pokemon. That's six characters--the same we had in Brawl, but freshened up considerably. I just don't see Ivysaur or Squirlte being tacked onto that list.

All that said, I'll give Ivysaur a 10% and Squirtle a 20%. They are veterans, and there is always a chance things just don't go as I anticipate with the rest of the Pokemon roster, but I can't say these guys are likely by any means.

As for want? Double zeroes. I sympathize a bit for those who main them... but that's not enough to even earn a single percentage from me. There are some characters who I would never want cut (those being your Warios and your Nesses and your Falcons), but there are many ancillary characters that I wouldn't mind to see as one-offs in rode to have more flesh blood each game. After all, you never get to play as a character who never makes it in; you can play as a character who was only in once. I main Toon Link in Brawl, yet I wouldn't have been heartbroken at all were he cut; I was actually cheering against him prior to his confirmation.

DAY OVER

SAKURAI (PROBABLY) DIDN'T CHOOSE YOU!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
While I agree with you Groose, the fact is that unique movesets are also a factor besides popularity, and having two pokemon draw from the same concept of water-type moves is rather repetitive, particularly when Squirtle's main move is essentially FLUDD.
That's my defense of Ivysaur. It may not be as iconic as the other three (I also would argue against the Bulbasaur line being the least popular, given Pokemon Green being the actual original with blue tacked on later, not to mention Bulbasaur being just as prominent in the anime) BUT it did have the most unique moveset of the three due to being the only Smash character that's a quadruped. Project M, while definitely not impacting the score, definitely proves he has even more room in which to be a diverse character. I would also argue right now Sakurai is more interested in diverse movesets and balance and would be less kind to redundancy. So far only Toon Link seems to have gotten the pass and we have yet to see how the spacies will work.

So yes, I don't think either are likely, and I agree that at this point I'd rather they both bow out gracefully and let other pokemon join the fight; but I wouldn't dismiss Ivy as being 10% less likely than Squirtle. If you believe Squirtle is more likely, that's on you, but Ivy has its strengths as well.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Squirtle
7.41% chance
51.57% want

Squirtle squirt! Squirt squirtle squirtle! SQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRTTTTT! Greninja.

Ivysaur
8.84% chance
55.36% want

Get back, Ivysaur! Go, Charizard! CHAAAAAAR! Ahh, Charizard, attack the other guy, not me! Ahhhhh! Pokemon Trainer Red was cut.

We're not through with the Pokemon yet. There's still that one Pokemon left that we have to get to: Jigglypuff. Will the newly-dubbed Fairy be forced to take a rest this installment? Or will it return again? In addition to Jiggs, we'll also be discussing another turtle today--this is the one we deemed "most likely Mario newcomer" back in December. Just how likely is he now? Please rate Jigglypuff and Bowser Jr. in today's match.

Tomorrow we'll finally be drawing to the penultimate day of our current rating wrap-up; we have two questionable veterans to talk about--Ike and Snake. Please predict how they'll do tomorrow.

While I agree with you Groose, the fact is that unique movesets are also a factor besides popularity, and having two pokemon draw from the same concept of water-type moves is rather repetitive, particularly when Squirtle's main move is essentially FLUDD.
That's my defense of Ivysaur. It may not be as iconic as the other three (I also would argue against the Bulbasaur line being the least popular, given Pokemon Green being the actual original with blue tacked on later, not to mention Bulbasaur being just as prominent in the anime) BUT it did have the most unique moveset of the three due to being the only Smash character that's a quadruped. Project M, while definitely not impacting the score, definitely proves he has even more room in which to be a diverse character. I would also argue right now Sakurai is more interested in diverse movesets and balance and would be less kind to clones. So far only Toon Link seems to have gotten the pass and we have yet to see how the spacies will work.

So yes, I don't think either are likely, and I agree that at this point I'd rather they both bow out gracefully and let other pokemon join the fight; but I wouldn't dismiss Ivy as being 10% less likely than Squirtle. If you believe Squirtle is more likely, that's on you, but Ivy has its strengths as well.
And that's what's glorious--we can all agree to disagree. We all have the same evidence, and it's our evaluation of it that causes our opinions to differ. Personally, I just don't really see Ivysaur getting in before Squirlte; it's one of the most unique fighters (quadruped, varied attacks, vines), but I just don't think it's on Squirtle's level. I understand your reasoning; I just don't subscribe to it.

One thing I forgot to mention that was supposed to help justify my point better--it's supposedly Game Freak pulling the Pokemon strings, not Sakurai; I doubt they'd be as uniqueness oriented as him, and raw popularity matters more for Pokemon than it might elsewhere.

I may have seemed a bit... forceful... with my opinions last post, and if I did, I apologize. I'm pretty darn tired, and I'm trying to rush things a bit more than I normally do so I can get some sleep.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Thanks Groose!

Bowser Jr.:

Chance: 20%
There's 5 Mario reps already...I think he would be next in line, personally, but I don't think it will happen.
He'd be an awesome addition, with his paint brush from Mario Sunshine, there's a lot of move-set potential. He's also been in a lot of Mario games, so I find him deserving.

Jigglypuff:

Chance: 95%
I don't see Jiggs going anywhere, or any of the original 12, but there's always a speck of doubt with me.
Want: 60%
For Pokemon, I would rather have Mewtwo return, but I do like Jigglypuff too.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Jiggles Lé Poof:

Chance: 89%
Duh.
Would be 99%, but...

I think Greninja brings her down a bit.
Not just for putting her in competition with Mewtwo, but for proving that GameFreak has a lot of control over the Pokemon picks.

Jigglypuff isn't all that popular. She barely could be considered a big deal a decade a go, but now? Nah. Greninja is what's up.
Her re-type can't compare to 2 Mega Evolutions either. Mewtwo and Charizard have always maintained high-status popularity, uniqueness, relevance, and everything that makes a good smash character.
Heck, even Blastoise and Venusaur got Mega Evolutions.
And she's not the only fairy-type. Nor is she the most prevalent or popular of them. Gardevoir and Sylveon are. But I guess they're deconfirmed?
Oh well.
She still earns a very high, respectable rank. And we all know why. Original 12.
Sakurai does have some say, enough to keep her. We know this because she has continued throughout the games. If we were speculating the 2nd Smash, it'd be a different story. However, she was a late addition in Brawl, being one of the 4 or 5 with SSE cutscenes only post-game alongside Toon Link, Wolf, and... someone else? So she was low priority, hmm... is that enough to keep her out?
I don't think so.
I think we are getting 6 pokemon slots.
Which I think is possibly a direct result of them choosing 6 Mario slots earlier in development. (It makes sense that Greninja would be added later than most characters)
So, no, I don't think that a Mario Newcomer is getting in because of 6 Pokemon.
I think that the 6 Pokemon was a result of both Rosalina and Bowser Jr as newcomers.

Bowser Jr:

Chance: 65%

Yea, I think he's most likely happening.

Seems like the next most popular pick.
I don't think Toad is deconfirmed, but I just don't think he's likely.... at all.
And I really don't think Paper Mario is likely either, he could be unique, but he is a 2nd Mario. I don't see the appeal of these 2, but I wouldn't hate them

I may be wrong, but it seems like he is the most popular of the 3, and in many places, even more popular than Rosalina.
He also has his uniqueness, and his constant appearances in the main series.
It's not a stretch.
It makes sense that they'd show Rosalina before Bowser Jr., being the character more expected and wanted to see.
I think he's happening.

Bowser Jr want: 70%
I already got the only Mario character I care about, Rosalina. But I do hope he makes it.
It would open the door for Ghirahim and Mewtwo :p

Jigglypuff want: 20%
It would be a 5% if I wasn't interested in what they could do with a revamped fairy moveset for her...
I'd like to see her be not so... terrible again.

Predictions:
Ike: 90%
Snake: 59%

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Bowser Jr.

Chance - 30% - If there is another Mario rep, it's either him or Paper Mario (I don't consider him as one but Sakurai probably will). I think the chances of another Mario rep are a little unlikely but Rosalina possibly being a starter is a bit open to interpretation of a secret Mario character.

Want - 25% - Never thought much of him and I prefer Paper Mario as a character. I don't think 'direct competition' exists that much but it does here in my opinion with the roster filling up. Gotta bring him down!

Jigglypuff

Chance - 99% - She's a three game veteran, and she's slightly more relevant now than she was pre-Brawl. She's not the face of the fairy-type but her key advantage is the fact that she's already an established character. This game is all about changing the veterans' moves, and the fairy-typing gives Sakurai the chance to experiment with her for the first time in ever. I see someone like him, who is clearly inspiring to be creative, relishing that challenge. Only reason she's not at 100% is because I don't believe she's a sure-thing per say, but her chances are very strong and I'd be somewhat amazed and upset if she was cut.

Want - 100% - Do I have to explain? Look at who I main and you clearly see why I want her back. In the 64 days, it took me a while to pick a character but Jigglypuff was an appealing concept gameplay wise. She was floaty, weak but devastating. Mastering her was fun and rewarding, and that's why I stuck by her for three games (she's my secondary in Brawl by the way). Her specials have flaws, but the fairy-type leaves a door open to changes and buffs. If she was cut I'll always think of 'what could have been?" if she was given a fairy move or two. Plus she's an original 12, one of the few remaining and disappearing pieces of the original game. Cutting any of them would remove a trace of evidence that the first game is still thought of and remembered.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I may have seemed a bit... forceful... with my opinions last post, and if I did, I apologize. I'm pretty darn tired, and I'm trying to rush things a bit more than I normally do so I can get some sleep.
Not forceful, I'm just defensive of the oft-overlooked grass types. Particularly the Bulbasaur line and Ivysaur ... I always liked Ivy due to it being a more badass version of Bulbasaur without the old age, decrepit look of Venusaur. Since the moment Brawl came out it was my PT pokemon of choice.

Jigglypuff
Chance - 85%
The only thing that, in my opinion, holds Jiggly back is if for some reason they only had space for one more Pokemon veteran and they gave that space to Mewtwo. But aside from that, I don't see Jigglypuff leaving right now, and with the Fairy typing increasing the possibilities for a more unique moveset (perhaps a more characteristic final smash too ... Moonblast?) she makes more sense than she did in Brawl.

Want - 70%
The 30% of me that doesn't want her is the part of me that now really really really wants a fully evolved grass type starter as a newcomer while not wanting too many pokemon. Because really, that's just soo exciting to think about. But Jiggly does get higher than 50% due to the fact that the Fairy type is my favorite type, and I would be really sad if it wasn't represented in some form or fashion in Smash. Um, playable that is. And really, right now Jiggly is the only realistic Fairy that we can get.
Now if only Whimsicott were a possibility, we'd get grass AND fairy at the same time ... too bad it's impossible.

Bowser Jr.
Chance - 7%
Rosalina says hello. HOWEVER, I do find it interesting that even with his popularity not only is there still no assist trophy of him, nor is he driving his airship in the background of the Galaxy stage. While I consider it unlikely, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to surprise us with an unlockable Bowser Jr.

Want - 60%
Not overly excited for a Mario newcomer, but in all honesty I kind of do like Jr. Not so much the character he is today, but the fact Sunshine is my favorite of all Mario games (second only to Super Mario Bros. 2, but that was really just Doki Doki Panic so I don't count it) and his inclusion as a key part of the story made the game more memorable to me.
But I do admit currently I feel he's become rather boring. Or ... idk, the New Super Mario Bros. series just really bored me of the standard Mario formula, and Jr. suffers from that. He also happened to not be in 3D world (wait ... was he in it?) so yea ...

Predictions
Ike - 79%
Snake - 65%
Snake is admittedly at high risk, while Ike may suffer from a highly competitive roster in which Chrom is expected to be.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Jigglypuff

Chance 99%

Shes ben here since the begining

Want 90%
Shes parshally my character punching bag for training

(Ps quote for groose do use mewtwo fans have to go over this 5 pokemon slots is not a lock because they stay with mario character slots mario had 4 playable in brawl and pokemon had 6 playable pokemon 1+1+1+3 playable pokemon)

Bowser jr

Chance 50/50

Well it all depends if bowser jr gets added but 6 mario reps is cool

Want 100%

I do want bowser jr playable

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
If I can make these chance scores look unbiased I'll be pretty proud of myself...

Jigglypuff:
Chance: 90% She's a three-time veteran. Kind of an expectation at this point. I'm not giving her a 99% though: there's over 700 Pokemon out there. If Sakurai can cut Mewtwo, its possible he can finally cut this helium-filled punching bag.

Want: 5% Back before Brawl I thought Jigglypuff was amusing. A silly little joke character that you could use to make your friends look dumb. Then Brawl hit and I was introduced to the concept of cutting characters from fighting games: just about every fighting game sequel I'd played before then only expanded their rosters without kicking anybody out. Now I just sit and stare at the thing on the Brawl roster and ask "Why the heck are you here?" Her voice is grating, her lack of expression beyond her braindead smiling is a bit offputting, and I find her moveset to be a bit of a mess, particularly her specials. I give her a 5% for the fact that she might get a rework and she'd surely get more expressive, if the other characters are any indication.

Bowser Jr.:
Chance: 25% With Toad being a move, Waluigi being an assist and Rosalina being put in already, I don't really see them sticking him in here. Then again if we're gonna have 6 Mario characters he's pretty much the only logical choice beyond...Paper Mario I guess?

Want: 5% Don't like this guy either. He's an obnoxious brat and it surprises me that people want him so much outside of moveset potential. Last thing I need is his stupid little "tee hees" echoing throughout my matches. 5% for paintbrush potential, but geez if you're gonna give us a painter give us Adeline or Paint Roller.

My opinions, of course. Make of them what you will.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Bowser Jr.
Chance - 30% I really have no idea where his chances stand but he's still relevant to the series being playable in various Mario spin-offs. He's Bowser's son and heir to the throne that must also work to his advantage.
Want - 80% his moveset could really bring something original to the table. He could use the paintbrush (Scribblenauts anyone?) and the Clown Car.

-Jigglypuff
Chance 90% a perfect attendance veteran.
Want 100% she's cute and hilarious, I love her.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Bowser Jr. - 25%
I don't think there's much debate here: with Toad almost certainly out thanks to Peach and Rosalina already being added, the next best choice for a Mario newcomer by a pretty big margin is Bowser Jr.. He's got the popularity, he's got the moveset potential, he helps build up the villain roster, and in general he just seems like a great pick. The big question that remains is if Mario will get a second newcomer. It certainly seems possible: technically speaking, we got two Mario newcomers in the original Smash and two again in Melee, so surely it could happen again. That said, I don't think it's especially likely as Mario is already quite well represented. Though only five characters will have the Mario emblem at the moment, the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario franchises are all connected to Mario historically, so it's not like a sixth rep is needed to equal it with Pokemon. Chances are Bowser Jr. needs to get in on his own merits, and while they're plenty strong, he's liable to miss the cut in favor of more representation for other franchises.
Want - 50% - Pretty cool character, but I wouldn't miss him if he didn't make it.

Jigglypuff - 90%
If there was any justice in the world, the original 12 would be guaranteed inclusions in every Smash game ever. However, I do have to leave a significant amount of doubt for Jigglypuff in particular because, well, she's Jigglypuff. She hasn't been terribly notable to the Pokemon franchise in ages, with the biggest news that I know of being her Fairy typing in X/Y, which makes her a pretty poor representative for the franchise within Smash. To that end, if Sakurai was willing to cut characters from Smash 64, she'd easily be first on the list, and given how late she appears in Brawl, it appears she's already been in trouble before. She should still be expected because, again, she's from the original 12 and is a three-time veteran, so she's important to Smash if nothing else, but we won't know for sure until the game is released, and her being cut certainly seems plausible.
Want - 90% - Though I'm not really a fan, I strongly believe the original twelve should be in every Smash and as such would be heartbroken if she were removed.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
The popularity chart has been updated.

Jigglypuff
Chance: 80% - Amusingly I think this may be lowest ratings she's going to get. It helps that she's one of the original 12 and that Pokemon can easily get six reps. I know I may be in the minority but I don't think being part of the original 12 gives a character a free ticket to every SSB game for life especially after Jigglypuff barely made it into Brawl. Mewtwo was planned for all three games and is becoming one of Gamefreaks pets. In the absolute worst case scenario, Pokemon gets only five reps and Mewtwo takes priority.
Want: 67% - I think she deserves to stay.

Bowser Jr
Chance: 14% - I believe Mario can get six reps, but I have my doubts about Jr.
Want: 0% - I'm not a fan.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff
-Chance: 95%
It is highly likely for her to be playable once more. She is quite loved amongst the Smash community from my experiences.
-Want: 100%
I hate cuts even with characters I am not too wild about.

Bowser Jr.
-Chance: 16%
Mario may or may not receive a sixth rep, but he is the remaining frontrunner of the candidates.
-Want: 20%
Wouldn't complain, but I would wish for the dev time spent on others.

Ike: 74%
Snake: 24%

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr.
Chance- 35%
If they have a sixth Mario rep, it's him. I don't think they will though since I remember Sakurai saying that he doesn't want a big roster.

Want
0%- if he's a toon link equivalent to Bowser
30%- if his moveset's original, still don't like him much though

Jigglypuff
Chance- 85%
Original 12, but added last minute in Brawl and not very relevant these days apart from new fairy type

Want- 100%
Original and interesting play-style, funny, don't care if he sucks again

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Jigglypuff
Chance: 85%
Want: 65%
This character has pulled since Smash 64 the hardcore hero from the movies where it survives big explosions, a water tank with sharks and a mortal ray always saying "I will be back". Lets write a little bit of history, it seems Mewtwo was planned for the original Smash 64 but time constrains and budget put him in the cut list, so the only option left was Jigglypuff that was similar to Kirby on body shape that would save resources and add another character to the roster, good now lets go to the development of Melee, if I remember correctly she was added at the last minute like in the past game because of her easy body shape and moveset, finally in Brawl she was again added in the last spots of the roster, she didn´t even have a story in SSE like Wolf and Toon Link. Will Jigglypuff survive again and be back to another installment or her trilogy will end in a dramatic scene where the hero will die? Thats the question and if you want to know lets wait for Die Hard 4 Super Smash Bros WiiU / 3DS.

Bowser Jr.
Chance: 7.5%
Want: 65%
His moveset potential is great with the paintbrush and his Koopa Clown car/ship, the sad thing is I can only see getting a new Mario comer with 15% and that is divided by Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario.

.n_n.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Jigglypuff
Chance: 90%- One of the original 12 i can't see her getting cut
Want: 80% - Shes an original she has earned her spot.
Bowser Jr.
Chance: 5%- I think Mario is now at its Limit with Rosalina and Luma
Want: 50%- I'm indifferent to him.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Bowser Jr.: 85%
So, let's think about this... Rosalina was shown very early and we've had 'all' the Mario characters for a long time... why...?
Let's also think about popularity, as Bowser Jr. is, but also so was Squirtle's moveset in Brawl... Bowser Jr. can kill two birds with one shell there.

I was pretty much convinced Jr. would make it back when Rosalina was revealed, it seemed nigh impossible to have her without the little scamp, and while I've soured a bit on my expectations of this game I still see Jr.'s inclusion as highly likely if not quite the near inevitable I once did.

I want shell-shifting, thankyou!

Jigglypuff: 80%
Yes, I just put her lower... Jiggles is a staple of Smash, and now a fairy type, but not a poster child in any way... she nearly didn't make it last time, but Sakurai is working hard to bring back veterans, and she's as veteran as it gets, so I can see why she might not make it (another pokémon taking he place?) but I don't think it's likely. It's more difficult to give high scores for a series as nebulous as Pokémon.

Want: 80%
I never really use the old girl, but it'd be sad to see her go...

MORE CHARACTERS?!?! When can we Slime already?!

Ike: 66%
Generally in favour, but Chrom would use a Basterd (sic.) Sword too.

Snake: 72%
People have not been perturbed about the loss of move sets and think Nintendo will betray themselves for Sakurai to keep his buddy happy... I don't if you haven't guessed.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Bowser Jr. Want 12% Chance 10%

Jigglypuff Want 0% Chance 65%
I don't want Jigglypuff to return... there are more interesting pokemon than her but she's probably coming back. Though I put her return chance at 65% since she was one of the last characters put into Brawl. Also if she weren't in the last 3 nobody would put her above 10%.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
results page said:
Concepts
1. Unlockable Newcomers: 97.84% chance, 80.77% want
2. CONFIRMED! Promoted Assist Trophy: 87.49% chance, 90.47% want
3. RTC Top Ten as an AT: 74.26% chance, 41.62% want
4. Improved Stage Builder: 70.17% chance, 85.15% want
5. Brawl Pokemon and Mewtwo: 67.66% chance, 74.11% want
6. Other M Ridley: 61.12% chance, 46.37% want
7. Zelda Newcomer: 53.44% chance, 64.67% want8. Decloned Ganondorf: 48.87% chance, 82.24% want
9. No Namco Character: 46.10% chance, 53.92% want
10. <10% Chance Character: 41.85% chance, 82.58% want
14. DLC Characters: 31.14% chance, 71.84% want
15. Non-Character Hanafuda Representation: 27.84% chance, 62.17% want
16. Four DK Characters: Day 175: (24.60% chance, 71.48% want); Old: (42.03% chance, 75.60% want)
17. Six Mario Characters: 22.70% chance, 40.78% want
18. DECONFIRMED! STAYED THE SAME! Yoshi Overhaul: 20.82% chance, 50.87% want

19. Rhythm Heaven Character: 14.29% chance, 37.98% want
20. Playable Boss Mode: 8.66% chance, 43.04% want
24. Pokemon Assist Trophy: 3.80% chance, 34.48% want
Wow... the direct affected A LOT of our concept ratings...
Brawl + Mewtwo is deconfirmed if it meant only those. But if it meant those, but any others too, then it's fine.
Extensive Alternate costumes could be confirmed depending on how you look at it too...
And I'm sure we would have given Greninja less than 10% :p

D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff

Chance: 99%

Whether you like or hate the ballon Pokemon, Jigglypuff is guaranteed to join the roster due to it being one of the original twelve.

Want: 50%

I'm indifferent.

Bowser Jr.

Chance: 20%

I have a hunch that Rosalina is the last Mario character (not counting DK, Diddy, Yoshi, Wario, etc.), but if another were added, then Bowser Jr. would be a possibility.

Want: 50%

I'm indifferent.

Predictions

Ike, who fights for his friends: 75%
Snake (What happened? Snake?! SNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!): 70%

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom