• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr.
26.63% chance (was 17.88%)
52.60% want (was 44.55%)

Poor little kid. He used to be the King of the Mario characters, but Rosalina put a major damper on his scores for a while. Nevertheless, he's managed to crawl his way upwards again and once again has over a 50% want score and over a 25% chance score.

Jigglypuff

88.44% chance (was 96.15%)
71.71% want (was 79.06%)

Jigglypuff's chances certainly didn't balloon like some may have expected--she actually lost considerable ground in both chance and want. Even so, Jiggs still remains a near shoo-in in our eyes and is as nearly as wanted as our most wanted newcomers.

You'll get no sympathy in a Fire Emblem discussion! Though we've already rated five FE characters in the last week, we still have one more to go. Ike fights for his friends, but will he have the chance to do so in Smash 4? Also, a certain third-party is still missing in action. We haven't even seen so much as a cardboard box yet... hmm. Please rate Ike and Snake today. You can also make a prediction on tomorrow's characters: Wolf and Lucas.

NOTE: After tomorrow, we will begin nominating again. I would like to make a quick modification to the nominations list before we do so. I propose that we curve down the number of nominations that are already in place. For example, if a character had below 20 nominations before the April, they would have theirs completely eliminated and if a character had 100+ nominations they'd be curved down to 25 or so. I feel that if we did something like this it would preserve the way we were going, but give us a chance to go to new places, too.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm pretty happy that Palutena is actually beating Jigglypuff!
You know you've been practically confirmed when you out-score an original 12 character by almost 7%
Dang. Can't wait for her.

Ike:
Chance: 80%
Roy was intended to come back, so that "pattern of 1" theory for Fire Emblem is actually a "pattern of 0"
He has no reason to go. He is the only FE character that has been a lord twice that hasn't been confirmed yet, and while he wasn't very unique, his style was definitely different enough. He wasn't a semi-clone, but he was a sword character... and there are a lot of other options from the series, too bad Sakurai might never look into them...

Want: 20%
Thanks, but...

Nah...

Snake:

VS

Tough to say...
But I'm going to say things have bent slightly out of his favor.
But only slightly.

Chance: 45%

Want: 70%

Don't play as him much either, but I just think it's cool to see him with Nintendo's cast. He adds appeal other 3rd party characters can't.
But they have their own strengths too.

Predictions:

:o?

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Ike
Chances: 10% Awakening says hi.
Want: 0% generic, boring, clone, etc.

-Snake
Chances: 40% (?) no idea.
Want: 60% never played the character but he added a unique flair to the game, a more edgy/mature feel and I'd be glad if he comes back.

D

Deleted member

Ike

Chance: 70%

It's easy to assume that Ike, the newest Fire Emblem lord when Brawl was released, would be replaced by the current lord, Chrom, but after Google searching "site:smashbros.com chrom" and "site:smashbros.com robin," Ike still has a chance.

Want: 100%

Look under my avatar. Ike is one of my Brawl mains.

Snake

Chance: 40%

-- Hideo Kojima himself stated that Snake's return is unlikely.
+ You'll get an interesting result from Google searching "site:smashbros.com konami..."
-- ...but Sheik's whip dangle being replaced with a grenade tells me that another iconic Konami character will replace Snake.

Simon Belmont

Want: 90%

Well, he is Snake, but he always screamed "PlayStation character" to me.

Predictions

Wolf: 50%
Lucas: 30%

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Ike
Chance- 25%, see Roy
Want- 35%, he's cool and all but Chrom is more attractive and nicer to look at

Snake
Chance- 20%, hasn't done much for Nintendo since Brawl (or ever for that matter)
Want- 70%, he made the game darker and more mature, which didn't really affect my opinion but it made my insecure male friends more comfortable playing an otherwise cartoonish, kiddy game

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
The popularity chart has been updated.

Ike
Chance: 70% - Worst case scenario for him is getting replaced by "you know who", but he's more than likely safe.
Want: 50% - I'm completely neutral.

"Looks at OP"
Cardboard Box
Chance: 0% - It's just a box, it has no moveset potential, nor is it a Nintendo All-Star by any definition.
Want: 10% - Well I suppose playing as a box might have some merits but I think it would probably get boring after awhile.

And now let's see what's underneath this cardboard box that I just rated.

"!"

Snake
Chance: 50% - It's a complete coin flip. He has popularity going for him, he has third party status going against him.
Want: 23% - Sadly, I've never really gotten into Metal Gear.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Want: 0% generic, boring, clone, etc.
Have you ever pressed the A button when playing as Ike?

Anyways,
Ike: 85%
With Toon Link and Lucario back, I have a hard time seeing him getting the axe. He is unique and popular to boot.

Yes. I didn't know him much when Brawl came out, but I recently played Path of Radiance and Radiant DAwn. Ike really is a deserving candidate, and one of my favourites too.

Snake: 80%
Well, I'm more inclined to believe this.
and Sakurai's quote that no characters have been cut yet.

Yep.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Ike: 70% Chance / 0% Want
Really hope he gets cut but I kinda doubt it. I hate the idea of Chrom getting in but I'd be singing his praises if he kicked Ike out en route to Smash.

Snake: 95% Chance / 90% Want
Sheik's grenade does nothing to Snake considering its the same move with an explosion on the end.

As for items...

Samus deconfirmed?

Really though, I'm pretty convinced that he's in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ike:

Chance: 99.9%. He is a unique, well-liked, and prominent Fire Emblem character that has the distinction of being a hero in multiple Fire Emblem games. He's not going anywhere.

Want: 100%.
I would hate to see any Brawl characters cut, they all have one good reason to stay: they were in Brawl. It has a huge community, some people like every character in the game, cutting any one of them would feel wrong.

Solid Snake:
Chance: 50%. Tough call. On the one hand, there's no real reason for him to be excluded. On the other, where the hell is he? Even Kojima himself has said he "doesn't think so", which is a lot more peculiar than saying "no", but it still disturbs me, especially this far along in development. That being said, there's a lot of mysteries about this game, Snake is probably one of them. Hopefully we'll see a Cardboard Box sometime soon.

Want: 100%. As I stated before, I would hate to see anyone to be cut from Brawl, Snake is no exception. He adds something different to the game, and it isn't as though he doesn't deserve it. I would love for him to get a fancy, awesome redesign this time around, or perhaps even we'll get Old Snake.

Wolf prediction: 75.5%.
Lucas prediction: 65.8%.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ike:
Chance: 65%
Second main in Brawl. Please don't cut my main(cut) and secondary AGAIN.

Snake:
Chance: 20%
Want: 2%
I haven't played Metal Gear and I didn't like Snake's playstyle in Brawl so I personally don't really care if he's in or not.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Ike
From what I know, he's a fairly prominent character in his own series, and pretty popular as well. Chrom is a potential usurper of his spot, but I think they can coexist (or better yet, we get Anna or Robin).
Want: 90%
Not a big fan of Fire Emblem, and I don't use him often in Brawl, but I'm opposed to cuts, and I do fairly like him.

Snake
Chance: 60%
He was very unique, Kojima's comment doesn't mean much (he couldn't have just said "yeah he's in the game lol"), and he's got many fans.
However, there is the possibility that Kojima was serious, and there are other third party candidates who pose a threat to him. If he isn't revealed by E3, then it's probably Game Over.
Metal Gear is one of my favorite video game series, if not my most favorite. I loved Snake in Brawl as well. And, as I said before, I'm anti-cut.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ike

Chance - 90% - He's definitely one of the few veterans that I have some minor doubts over his return. However, Ike is rather significant - he's the first lord to be fully exposed to the North American and European gamers. He's kind of like the Marth to the western fanbase, as in he's the first lord that most people actually played with here in North America. I'd say that's rather iconic.. He's also rather popular, another bonus point. People might be worried that we only have one starting FE character as it stands, but I see no reason why FE can't have two secret characters and 3 representatives in the roster. If/when Chrom gets added, he won't be similar to Ike at all so there's no worries over a character taking his thunder and he'd remain unique moveset-wise. I'd say his chances are good, and him being cut would be a little strange, as I don't see them struggling with time constraints as they did with Brawl due to the removal of the adventure mode that drains resources as well as having a bigger team working on the game's development than in the previous installment.

Want - 70% - I personally thought he was an improvement over Roy - more unique, more personality and just overall better done. As someone who is strongly against cuts, I'd like to see him return.

Snake

Chance - 50% - Yep, going 50/50 here, seems to be the only rating I can give him right now. The items mean nothing, nor does Sheik getting the grenades. Some comments with Kojima seem open to interpretation, but Snake really is in a dangerous spot. E3 seems to be his final chance to be in the game unless another Nintendo direct is sandwiched between that and the game's summer release on the 3DS. If Pac-Man is in the game, it also makes you wonder just how many third-party characters will be in. However, Sakurai probably did try to bring him back, whether or not a deal could be concluded is still wildly up in the air.

Want - 75% - He's a veteran. That's the Connery seal of approval that you'll get at least 50%. Also them codecs, and he has such an unique style of play that it would be a bit of a blow to lose in general.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ike
Chance - 80%
I used to be more positive about him, now I'm really not as sure. But still, I think he's a strong veteran, likely to return, and even has not only a huge fanbase but awesomely quotable lines (I fight for my friends, you'll get no sympathy from me, prepare yourself) that have become almost memetic in the community.

Want - 75%
I would like for him to return, but I shave a bit from top want due to the fact I'd be ok if he was cut and instead we got Robin. I would hate to have three Fire Emblem lords with swords and blue hair as playable, so if Chrom really must make it in I'd prefer if the third was Robin instead of Ike. Or a more generic Tactician to represent that side of Fire Emblem.
I've also started to see Fire Emblem in a similar light as pokemon. There's so many good newcomer options, just keep rotating things and if you want to play as Roy/Ike, then replay the older game/Project M.

Snake
Chance - 20%
I forget the ratings I gave him before, but I really don't see him all that likely. I understand the idea of holding on to surprises but ... Snake shouldn't be more of a surprise than Sonic if coming back. He should have already been revealed, E3 just seems more fitting for NEWCOMER third parties. So I'm really inclined to believe that Kojima spoke the truth and Snake is gone.

Want - 40%
Eh. I don't think he belongs in this game, as much as I may respect Kojima and MGS. He definitely added something to Brawl, but I just don't see him as a character that belongs in the series. I also would much rather prefer the roster spot and time be spent in third party guests more logical for a Nintendo All-Star game.

Predictions
Wolf - 86
Lucas - 83

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Ike
Chance: 90% Unique gameplay, popular with FE fans, and always seemed like one of the most played characters in Brawl to me.
Want: 100% I won't go too much into how much of an Ike and Fire Emblem Tellius fan I am; I'll just say with complete honesty that in the off chance that Ike doesn't make Smash 4, I will have second thoughts about buying it.

Snake
Chance: 45% I'm sure Sakurai still wants him, but in the event he has to cut some characters because of time constraints, I think he'll choose Nintendo characters over Snake, since they're the focus of the series.
Want: 90% Not much of a Metal Gear fan, but any character as unique as Snake getting dropped I view as a drop in quality for the roster.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Ike: 70%
While FE definitely deserves itself a third character in my opinion, sadly for Ike he uses a basterd sword, and so does Chrom... for that reason I could see them just porting Ike's moveset over to Chrom with tweeks... but I believe they'll go for a triple threat of lords.

Want: 75%
I'd prefer Ike to Chrom, but as I've said a hundred time, the sword is what matters in Smash Bros., not who uses it

Snake: 10%
I think that's what I gave him last time, and basically nothing has changed... Konami aren't supporting Nintendo, why would they support them?

Want: 5%
I don't think he deserves to be in Smash, he's not a Nintendo All-Star... but I'll miss his moveset, oh wait, I can play P:M for that so no I won't!

Wolf: 78.9%
Lucas: 67.8%

I don't have a clue

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
ike - 75%
greninja put some doubt that he might get replaced, but he is an important character in fire emblem as an whole, and the only lord to be a main character in two games, something only marth can also claim. he's also one of the more memorial and well loved characters in smash itself, he might have some doubts but things are looking pretty green for ike.
want - 100%
just say what the crowd says, everyone likes ike,
snake - 60%
faith Is losing for the guy, I still believe in sakurai quote that no character has been cut (apparently PT doesn't count anymore ;-; ) that alone ensures that he is trying to get snake back and for third parties negotiation has to be in order before anything is made and they have to be done before any progress on the character, still if he doesn't get shown soon, people are going to start cutting some ties. all boils down to e3.
want - 80%
snake is probably the only understandable cut that I would probably be okay with, still a cut is a cut, and snake is definitely one of the most unique characters in game
wolf - 87.34%
nothing really changed except a cut happen, and even then it was a kind of cut that could not even affect him at all.
lucas - 88.29%
repeat the above

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Ike

Something about this character really grabbed my attention. The best way to describe his playstyle is powerful. He is the most satisfying character to use, IMO. Connecting attacks just feels right, it feels the way it should. Dropping stocks with this dude is one of my all time favorite things to do. Prepare yourself.

In all seriousness, this is one of the few recurring fire emblem characters, and one of the only recurring lords. His moveset is unique and fun. He is extremely liked in the smash community, and I would even argue that his manliness stacks up with the likes Cpt Falcon. It is unfortunate that he is one of the more likely cuts, being part of a series that has the most recent lord plus Marth. If FE gets 3 characters, hes a guarantee. Chrom, please dont ruin this for me, or youll likely get a fully charged fsmash to the face.

Snake
Chance: 50%

Flip a coin. Either Kojima teased his inclusion and is acting like he knows nothing, or he legitimately knows nothing. Theres really no other indication on his inclusion or exclusion, and 3rd parties are certainly special cases. We know they can make return appearances, but it is up in the air for Snakes Revenge.

I will remain hopeful that if Snake does indeed get cut, that a different, suitable Konami rep will take his place. Could be Bomberman, Simon Belmont, or Goemon (please.) At that point I would be absolutely okay with Snake missing this game, because there are other Konami characters that do have a better connection with Nintendo (such as the ones just mentioned.)

Predictions
Wolf: 82%
Lucas: 81%

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Ike:
Chances: 85%
Prepare yourself.
Want:85%
Haters will get no sympathy from me.
Snake:
chances: 50%
Will it be showtime in ssb4? Or will he keep us waiting forever?
Want: 55%
*Snake snaps my neck for not giving a 100% want score*
Predictions:
Lucas: 70%
Wolf: 78%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I say that if a character had nominations to get re-rated, we should get rid of those nominations. No point of having them if they got re-rated.
Ike and Snake have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated these two, check to see what you've said on their days!

WE LIKE IKE! WE LIKE IKE! Ahem... prepare yourself!
Chance:
90%

My chance score remains unchanged.
I think that there is a chance that Ike will get cut and be replaced by Chrom. However, I see both co-existing on the roster. Ike, while his games have passed him, is still very popular. Heck, I believe that Ike has a descendant in Awakening. Of course Intelligent Systems had this guy on their minds!
I can see Ike return. He seems to be a likely cut... but I can't see him get cut. I have nothing else to say about Ike.
I never played Fire Emblem, but I still like Ike. I can see him go, but this is one cut that I don't want to see happen. I would be pretty sad if Ike was replaced by Chrom. Just... weaken his powerful knockback, Sakurai.

Snake... Snake... Snaaaaaaaaaaake...
Chance:
8%

Meh, I'll just quote myself here because my arguments hold up in my eyes.
While Sakurai said that he hasn't planned to cut anyone, he also said that he doesn't have the time to bring every character in Smash back into SSB4. This mean that cuts are inevitable.
Kojima messing with others is definitely something that he is known for, but how about I play devil's advocate. Now, he smiled when he said this quote; this means that he knows something we don't and possibly that he could be in Smash. However, what if Kojima didn't expect a question like this during that livestream? What if he smiled at the irony or something? It's possible that he is going to give no hope to Snake returning to make his return more glorious, but he could possibly not be in the game.

Now, why is Snake at a low score?
Snake isn't that obvious to me as Sonic is. If 3rd parties are going to be a thing in future games, Sonic is practically guaranteed; Snake can't match to the hype, fandom, and demand Sonic has. Remember why Brawl was delayed? It was to put Sonic in the game. Snake was put in by personal request and wasn't demanded prior to E3 2006. Fans enjoyed his inclusion and are demanding for him to return; this helps in his favor. However, this barely changes the fact that he is in the most danger of getting cut.
Konami doesn't have the best relationship with Nintendo right now it seems like. They outright dismissed the Wii U and aren't putting any retail or digital games on the system. Oh wait... they are! But... they are old-school Castlevania games. Heck, a Castlevania game on the 3DS got an HD remake on the Xbox 360 and PS3... but not the Wii U. Same case with MGSV; every system is getting this game... except for the Wii U. Nintendo, on the other hand, are struggling right now with the Wii U. Snake would be a massive double-edged sword. While Snake will get mature fans to buy the Wii U, owners of the Wii U could potentially buy an Xbox or PlayStation to play MGSV, which would hurt Nintendo in the process. From a business standpoint, this is rather risky. While Sakurai can put in Snake on his own accord, I bet that there could be outside influences that are probably going to stand in and prevent his inclusion.
Lastly, we don't know how many 3rd party characters will get in. If there are 4, Snake will definitely get in. If there are 3, then he is absolutely screwed. Why? Because of Pac-Man. I bet that Pac-Man would be at a higher priority than Snake is. Namco is working on the game and I bet that they would like to get represented in Smash in some form and Pac-Man has a great amount of demand to him. Pac-Man is nearly inevitable at this point; he is most likely going to get in (90%), meaning Snake has to hope for 4 slots. Since Sakurai said that there won't be too many 3rd party characters, 3 seems like a safe bet.
Overall, I cannot see Snake get in Smash at all.
To add on, not seeing Snake in the Direct is very, very concerning. As such, I had to adjust my rating. With Ground Zeroes being released recently, you think that Sakurai would confirm him... but he didn't. Granted, it would make sense that he didn't because that would be promoting a game on rival consoles. It's important to note that the Special Flag item is in this game, which would most likely be Namco's equivalent to the Assist Trophy where Namco characters are summoned. This helps Pac-Man's case even more so as it shows that Namco would definitely receive higher priority than Konami (though, that fact was a given) (Pac-Man currently has a 93% from me). One minor thing to note is that Snake is no longer the Brawl veteran that is in the most danger of getting cut; Squirtle and Ivysaur are as Transformations are removed (Snake's 8% to Squirtle's and Ivysaur's 7%). Also, I am not lowering my score because Sheik is now using grenades.
EDIT: One more thing that I want to mention is that we have seen a recent trend with the newcomers. Characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Rosalina are all uprising characters that have a future with Nintendo. The same can be said for revived newcomers like Palutena and the confirmed Little Mac as well as possible newcomers like Shulk and Chrom. These characters are not only popular, but they can promote their games on Nintendo consoles. This same thing is extended to Sonic; he was in Brawl, but he definitely has a future with Nintendo and he can help promote the Wii U. Snake doesn't really have a future with Nintendo and putting him in would promote a rival console, which wouldn't be good at all when the Wii U is in a troubled state.
I will give Snake one more chance. If he isn't revealed at E3 this year, I am considering him to be done and just give him a 1% chance.
Want: 0%
I will also quote myself again.
I just want to reiterate something. I don't hate Snake. I like Snake. He is a freaking awesome character and I absolutely love his moveset! I still play as him sometimes in Brawl! Regardless... I want to see him go. When it comes to 3rd party characters, my mindset is to have 2 permanent members on the roster, being Sonic and Mega Man, and maybe have 1 or 2 rotate in between (if Bomberman makes it in, make that 3 permanent members).
Now, there are a multitude of reasons why I don't want Snake in Smash:
1. In a game about Nintendo's All-Stars, he isn't one at all and he is more of a Sony character. I can heavily justify Sonic and Mega Man; they both absolutely deserve to be in Smash and they are like Nintendo characters despite not being owned by them. Pac-Man, I can't justify too much, but he still has a rich history with Nintendo. Snake barely has any connection with Nintendo and yet he got in. It makes me mad as it contradicts what this game is about.
2. Snake getting cut gives me a good reason to go back and play Brawl. I was mystified when Mewtwo was cut as he shouldn't have been. The others, however, were fairly predictable cuts. If I want to play as Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, and Roy, it gives me a good reason to play Melee. Snake getting cut would give me more of a reason to still play Brawl.
3. Let's say that what Kojima says is true and that Snake is not in the game. If that is the case, then I definitely don't want him to return. In Brawl, Sonic's addition not only delayed the game, but it resulted in Mewtwo and Roy getting cut. When I found this out, I was upset, but I didn't mind it in the end because Sonic was a character that I was wanting, hoping, and expecting to get in Smash. If Snake gets in Smash, he may potentially delay the game and might cut veterans that shouldn't be cut or result in removing a newcomer that we would have been looking forward to. The payoff to bring him back is not worth it in the long run.
4. I have a dream. My dream is Bomberman getting in Smash and fighting against Luigi, Mario, and Sonic, my childhood heroes. If Snake got cut, the pathway for Bomberman getting in Smash slightly opens for him. I've waited for 15 years for him to get into Smash; I want this wait to end already. Why did you die on me, Hudson? ;-;
That is why I want Snake to get cut. It's critical for me that he is. I will sympathize with the Snake fans and mains, but I want him gone.
EDIT: I should mention that Snake is the reason why I wasn't hyped for this Direct (as well as the Miis due to Groose convincing me that they could potentially get confirmed). I was heavily nervous because of Snake; if he gets confirmed, then Bomberman may as well be done in future Smash games. It's my ultimate dream and Snake getting cut will open the door slightly for Bomberman. Now I'm nervous for E3 since he could get revealed there... and I will be heavily ticked if he got confirmed and not Shulk.
MONADO, FLAME SHIELD ME!

Wolf Prediction: 89.25%
I can see Wolf's score go slightly up.
Lucas Prediction: 87.72%
Yet I can see Lucas's score go slightly downward.

Well... this is probably the post that I gave the lowest effort on.

Last edited by a moderator:

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Ike
Chance: 72%
Want: 30%

Snake
Chance: 25%
Want: 0%

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ike

Unique moveset, popular FE character, if we get three FE characters; he's in theory a lock.
On the worrying side; Squirtle and Ivysaur appear to have been cut despite their unique movesets and Ike is somewhat old news. Chrom could feasibly replace Ike and steal his moveset.

And if he did, I'd probably hate Chrom, despite him being my first true lord. Ike is unique enough to warrant a return and is the most popular lord in the west. I think it'd be a shame to cut another veteran with such a nice moveset...let's not hand it over to someone else either...that just cheapens both the veterans Smash status and the newcomer's reputation.

Essentially if Chrom(for example) stole Ike's moveset whilst simultaneously replacing him, it'd basically mean that neither Ike nor Chrom were worth enough to remain in the game or add in the first place.

Solid Snake

Total toss up. I don't trust any of these Japanese developers...they know what they're doing, the sly gits.

Want: 5%
Sorry Snake. You're not associated with Nintendo strongly enough for me to care if you make a secondary appearance in this so called 'Nintendo All Star' fighting game.
Despite your admittedly unique and fun moveset, you will always feel like a charity case addition to me.

I'd cheer him on for Playstation All Stars any day though. Where I feel he actually belongs.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
Ike
Chance: 80% I can see him coming back and of course them adding Chrom with him,
WabtL 90% I liked him in brawl a little slow but still fun
Snake
Chance: 30% I can't see snake returning
Want: 50% Does not worry me really.

themoonsloth

Smash Rookie
Ike:
Chance: 45%
. Theres a 100% chance at least one more FE character is making the game. I feel like Chrom has around a 60% because they would want to promote awakening, and Robin has a 30% chance. Yes, I know that comes out to 135%, but consider that extra 35% the chance that there will be two more characters in the game.
Want: 85%. Honestly, I didnt like Ike that much in Brawl. I always saw him as an easier to use version of Marth. I also didnt really like the way he looked, or his palette swaps. However, I've started picking him up in PM and he's actually really fun. A week or two ago I would've rated his want at 30%, but I actually really like him now and genuinely hope he's in the game.

Snake:
Chance: 20%.
The burst grenade and the Sub Gun, make me doubt it. Kojima himself said it was unlikely, but it's also Kojima we're dealing with here. Kojima + Sakurai = ultimate troll. He's popular and an interesting character, and given the nature of both developers I think there's a small chance they're messing with us here.
Want: 30%. I dont use him, and while normally I'd rate him at 50% because I really hate to see cuts, but honestly he just doesn't fit that well in a smash game. Plus, he takes up a spot that could be given to another Third Party rep, (simon belmont pls)

Predictions:
Lucas: 45% chance. He could easily get cut, but the Mother 3 re-release gives him hope
Wolf: 50% chance. He's less of a clone than Falco, but in my mind Falco is a given. It really goes either way for me. On one hand, he moves interestingly and he's got a wonky moveset, but on the other hand I wouldnt mind seeing Krystal get a shot.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Snake:

Chance: 34%
I rated him 44% before, and I would rate him near there again if it wasn't for the burst grenade.

Want: 60%
I'd rather he stay than not, but I'd have no problem with him getting cut if it means another more fitting third party character *coughPac-Mancough*

Ike:

I'm far less confident in Ike than most. I do think it's more likely that he'll make a return, but his cut is a very real possibility as well.

Want: 50%
Complete indifference.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Ike's chances: 75% - If there are three FE characters, he's in, no question. If there are two, he's still got a decent chance, but could get replaced with an Awakening character or possibly even Roy. The removal of the Trainer, a character I thought was very safe, definitely made me less confident in the veterans most at risk, so this is lower than before.
Want: 100% - Liked Ike a lot and would be sad if he didn't return.

Snake's chances: 50% - I'd say it could go either way at this point.
Want: 50% - I would be fine either way.

Lucas prediction: 78.13%
Wolf prediction: 84.59%

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Ike
Chance- 75%
I see three Fire Emblem characters as quite likely. It's become a pretty big series. Also, Sakurai seems to be trying hard to bring back as many characters as possible (Toon Link, Lucario, etc.). He still has a decent chance of getting cut, but I think that he will make it.
Want- 90%
I like Ike. He seems to be a pretty cool guy and has a unique moveset. But it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't return.

Snake
Chance- 40%
Who really knows. Sakurai and Kojima have made too many trollish statements for me to really trust them on this. This is really just a shot in the dark.
Want- 20%
He's got a good moveset and I'm glad he opened the door for other third parties... but I'm sorry, I don't really think he belongs.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ike
Chance: 80%- Unique playstyle, popular, and... that's all. I think that Chrom will not get it's space, but it's possible.
Want: 90%- I like him, but I can survive without him, since I survived to Ivysaur.

Snake
Chance: 50%- E3 is his last chance. No Snake in in E3, no Snake in the game.
Want: 100%- The only soldier in the game! Unique playstyle. I'll miss him if he get the axe.

Predictions
Wolf: 80%
Lucas: 80%

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ike
I think it will either be him or Chrom.
Want: 50%
I liked Ike in Brawl, but honestly would mind if Chrom replaced him. I have never played a FE game so I do like being introduced to new characters as well. It's all 50/50 for me with Ike.

Snake
Chance: 20%
Unfortunately, I feel like he is the most likely veteran to be cut, besides Squirtle and Ivysaur. The fact that they are making weapons look less realistic in the game, such as the home run bat and ray gun, kinda makes you think. Snake has a lot of realistic looking weapons, and if they were to add him with them looking all colorful and fake, well, I would doubt that would happen. He's also third-party and I can see him being cut for a Namco character like Pac-Man. Also, Sheik now has grenades, which was Snake's standard special. I did like Snake in Brawl, but I don't think he will be returning.
I thought Snake was a unique player, I would kinda like to see him back.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
E3 is his last chance. No Snake in in E3, no Snake in the game.

I disagree, I think Snake is hellishly unlikely anyway, but if he's in suspect he'll be hidden... I mean he is a Master of Stealth...

That's not the only reason though, for general hype purposes Snake doesn't have as much impact of Nintendo fans as other characters, having his greatest interest for Smash Fans... and even then he's one of our least wanted veterans. In terms of marketting the game he just doesn't have the oomph any of the other big third parties would (Pac-Man, Slime, Layton) partially because he's returning, and partially because his the demographic he most appeals to are Smash Fans (Most MGS fans aren't even buying a Wii U/3DS tbf) who are already buying the game!

Of my 10% I think about 4% of that is him staying hidden 'till release, another 4% he's in the last minute Developer Direct and only 2% for E3.

D

Deleted member

I disagree, I think Snake is hellishly unlikely anyway, but if he's in suspect he'll be hidden... I mean he is a Master of Stealth...
I don't think that Nintendo and Sakurai would keep a guest character hidden until the release of the games. Outside of select few first party characters (Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, King K. Rool, etc.), third party characters would generate hype and interest. It's good for marketing prior towards the game's release so that they can say, "Hey! Come buy our game! We have Snake in it!" Besides, it was definitely more wise of Nintendo and Sakurai to reveal Sonic before Sonic Lost World and this game's release; it would generate hype for the fans that absolutely love the character. Revealing Sonic when the game gets released... wouldn't be as good for both Nintendo and Sega in terms of marketing.
Snake has to be revealed before release. With his current situation however, things are looking rather grim for him. It's E3 / some surprise Direct or nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't think that Nintendo and Sakurai would keep a guest character hidden until the release of the games. Outside of select few first party characters (Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, King K. Rool, etc.), third party characters would generate hype and interest. It's good for marketing prior towards the game's release so that they can say, "Hey! Come buy our game! We have Snake in it!" Besides, it was definitely more wise of Nintendo and Sakurai to reveal Sonic before Sonic Lost World and this game's release; it would generate hype for the fans that absolutely love the character. Revealing Sonic when the game gets released... wouldn't be as good for them in terms of marketing.
Snake has to be revealed before release. With his current situation however, things are looking rather grim for him. It's E3 / some surprise Direct or nothing.
Sonic has a wider appeal than Snake, at least among Nintendo fans (and even outside of Nintendo fans I'd say Sonic trumps Snake), so it was wiser marketing, but Snake's Nintendo appeal is rather limited now he's not new and Brawl meant nothing for his game releases. Your opinion clearly differs, and sadly this isn't something I can convince you of, but new characters, with new move-sets would bring a bigger draw than all but the most exciting veterans (Mewtwo, Sonic etc.). An Isaac/Takamaru/Little Mac or two could have a great reveal trailer and show off an exciting new moveset that would cause discussion, intrigue and purchasing interest in a way Snake, who's a known factor for the most part, wouldn't do anywhere near as well.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Ike - 75%
Ike's really got one serious obstacle in his way for a return: will Chrom/Lucina/??? have a unique moveset? If not, it's entirely possible Ike's moveset is copied and Ike ends up being cut. That said, knowing Ike replaced Roy back in Brawl, has his own unique moveset, and is probably the second most notable lord in the franchise's history thanks to having multiple games, I think Ike's in a pretty good spot for returning, even if he is one of the more possible cuts.
Want - 100% - Even if Chrom or whoever were to take his stupidly fun moveset, nothing beats hearing that glorious chant of WE LOVE IKE!

Snake - 25%
This one's difficult to call. He's a third party character and one that doesn't really have a strong connection to Nintendo, but he's also the first third party character in Smash history and extremely popular in the greater gaming world. It's really easy to see how he might get cut, but he could also very easily be carried over, especially to preserve his very unique moveset. I'm going to give him a cautiously low rating due to his unusual nature, but it could really go either way.
Want - 100% - I didn't think I'd like Snake in Smash, but boy was I wrong. Crazy cool moveset, he mixes in surprisingly well with the cast, and the codecs are one of the best things from Brawl. It would be a shame to lose him.

EDIT: A quick comment on whether Snake would have to be revealed in advance: remember, SSB4 is seeing two distinct releases, one this summer on 3DS, and one this winter on Wii U. Theoretically, Nintendo could keep some very notable characters, including even third parties, a secret up to the 3DS release and just keep doing newcomer/veteran reveals, including those snazzy trailers, in the time between releases to keep up the hype and maximize sales for both platforms. To that end, I could see Snake being held so that he's a cool surprise for 3DS players and then later on they can reveal him properly on the site/in a direct and show how awesome he is in HD.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I see people are still using their made up reasons for snakes exclusion "he didnt support nintendo", pfft well each are entitled to their own i suppose.

Anyway

Ike

Chance 70% - Ike still has quite a bit going for him and i think sakurai might keep him around for the long haul. I suppose the only thing that would really keep him from getting in would be intelligent systems wanting their next big character instead. But i cant really say that would be the case or that if one were in the other would have to go.

Want 80% - Ike was a great and a powerful bruiser in the game, it would be a shame to use him. Especially since one of my buddies was fond of playing as him. Ike fans deserve a little better treatment then just getting a character they enjoyed shuffled out, when it would be the loss of a great and unique character even among sword users.

------

Snake

Chance 60% - As a snake fan ill admit things are a bit dicey right now. If only because we havent heard anything, and the release window is getting closer. But that and kojima's quote arent enough to rule anything out completely, and hes got a little more than an even split just due to being in the last game and that he had a game as recent as this gens handheld.

Want 100% - At this point i want snake back more then any newcomer or anything else. He was a fantastic character and one of the most unique in the series. He creates a nice contrast among the other characters, and he brought so much to the table along with him. All his codecs, excellent music, and everything else id say he and megaman bring the most as far as third party characters go. Its a shame so many want him gone, but we would be losing a huge gaming icon and one of the best this series has ever seen.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ike

Chance 65%:

Positives: Having an original moveset and being a character that represents his games really helps him out.

Negatives: However, like Roy who came before him, he was mainly put in to represent Path of Radiance and Radiance Dawn. Plus, he has Chrom (a character who could potentially take his moveset) and Robin (character who represents Fire Emblem Awakening and my unit aspect).

Ike also has to worry about his moveset being scrapped to give options for customizable movesets (seeing Marth use the quick draw move during the April 8th direct does not help matters either).

Want 78%:

I liked Radiant Dawn (first Fire Emblem I owned), and loved Ike's story arc.

His moveset is wonderful and balanced (unless you do stuff like L-canceling and the like).

The only problem is that I want both Ike and Chrom in Smash Brothers with both having different movesets; unfortunately, it seems that the Fire Emblem series will only get roster spots for 2 representatives.

Snake

Chance 25%:

Positives: Being a character that represents the "mature" (sounds ridiculous when talking about games to me) side of Nintendo's third party games gives Snake a good edge.

He has been on Nintendo consoles since the NES era, the other characters who did the same are Megaman and Simon Belmont (sorry if I forgot someone else).

Original moveset, one that requires strategy to use and is fun to use.

Negatives: Being a third party hurts his chances of getting in depending on how many third party characters will be allowed this time. His biggest third party rivals are: Rayman, Pac-Man, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont (sorry if I forget any). If SSB4 only allows 3 third party roster spots, then Snake will have to fight harder than he has fought Metal Gears to get that spot.

With his games currently being on anything but the Wii U, Snake would be advertising for games that Sony and Microsoft get, and if I know Nintendo, they do not want to advertise for their competition.

Want 35%:

I have never really played any Metal Gear games, but Snake has his own moveset and it fits quite well with how hectic Smash Brothers can get.

I am sort of indifferent to Snake, to be brutally honest. I would to see him leaving for his fan's sake, but for me, I would not miss him that much.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Ike

Chance - 95% - I see no reason for Ike to be cut, unless IS demands it. A twinge lower than before due to me underestimate Chrom a bit, but overall Ike is quite likely.

Want - 100% - Still say no cuts is best.

Solid Snake

Chance - 83% - Not changing my old score. He may be out, but due to Sakurai's old comment on no cuts I'm not expecting him to be left out unless it was intentional.

Want - 90% - A cut I wouldn't mind as much, but a cut is still a cut.

Predictions

Lucas - 84.73% - Maybe a small drop.

Wolf - 85.73% - There're pretty close, actually.

Mr_Anderson

Smash Cadet
Ike Chance: 75%
Ike Want: 95%

I guess you could say that I'm mostly anti-cut, but I do actually support some cuts. However, the only reason why I actually would want a cut is if the character is absolutely unnecessary, in the case of something like Pichu. I see no real reason for Ike to get cut, but I could see them cutting him for a newer Fire Emblem rep like Robin or Chrom. I wouldn't want to see it happen, as I think three Fire Emblem reps could work just fine, but I could see where the devs would be coming from if Ike was indeed cut.

Snake Chance: 60%
Snake Want: 100%

Snake's cut would also be kind of unnecessary to me, as Snake had an extremely unique moveset, and, most importantly, gave the more mature community of Smash Bros a nod, if that makes sense. Being the first character from an M-rated game paved the way for character requests like Bayonetta, Travis Touchdown, John Raimi, and many more. That being said, he's probably one of the more likely characters to be cut simply because he doesn't have too many ties to Nintendo anymore, and overall it just seems unlikely, which is a shame. Kojima could be pulling a Kojima on us, though, so you never know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom