• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Y

Yodery

lol you do nothing but condescend me, and hold e-grudges over trivial **** you should have gotten over already.

just review the damn song

Palpi

Smash Hero
Oooh, lovely beginning, I love the way the- *heavy guitars come in*

I should've guessed @_@ Well, at least it's still enjoya- *screaming comes in* are you serious? -.-

Ok, screaming seems out of the way for now, but I really enjoy the music here @3:00. At 4:50, the lovely beginning returns :D With REAL singing :D

Even with the screaming/screeching, this song is obviously very well done and a masterpiece. I wish I could appreciate it more for what it is, but some things just aren't my taste. Although, I do like most of the song so far (at 7:00 atm) This is my favorite part... So pretty, the instruments blend so well together. I could put this on repeat for a while.

Well, the song ended beautifully. I actually really liked it, the music was amazing, and the screaming wasn't too obnoxious. Thanks for posting.
Screaming definitely isn't for everyone, but I would be lying if I said I liked it when I first heard it...honestly, I don't think anyone did. The way I look at it is, that is the only way he could convey the right emotion he was going for with his voice ^_^ Just my 2 cents, glad you liked it

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - The Dead Flag Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyf2gNT3t4k
it's a long song; listen to this with an open mind and some good headphones
I wanna say evoking a mood with such succinct narration is like... cheating lyrically, lol. But hey, it worked.
"I said, 'Kiss me, you're beautiful. These are truly the last days.' You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream, or a fever." <-- ****ing. awesome.

I'm realizing that 4 minutes into it, with no real complexity from the mood building besides the spoken word, you've gotta be really dedicated to listening for the sake of music and less so to occupy your ear while you dance or do homework or whatever it accompanies best.
The goal is aural, the mood is its end, and if you can't paint a picture with your mind's eye evoked by the sounds, then this could be really, really boring.

It's the soundtrack to a bleak love. I can see where it takes experience and relatability to really supplement the power of what's here. Like, if you let it, this song can mean a lot more to you as you get older. Assuming that by then you will have lost more things important to you...
That was also a really pretentious thing to say, but there you are.

Ha, what an unexpected playfulness at the end. Solace.

This is the kind of song you save for certain days.
:urg::ohwell::)[:bee:]:awesome:

Right, now because this thread is kind of like a game, let's get back to a turn not taking 15 minutes, shall we?

The Besnard Lakes - Glass Printer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE-jV_2LVx4

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I wanna say evoking a mood with such succinct narration is like... cheating lyrically, lol. But hey, it worked.
"I said, 'Kiss me, you're beautiful. These are truly the last days.' You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream, or a fever." <-- ****ing. awesome.

I'm realizing that 4 minutes into it, with no real complexity from the mood building besides the spoken word, you've gotta be really dedicated to listening for the sake of music and less so to occupy your ear while you dance or do homework or whatever it accompanies best.
The goal is aural, the mood is its end, and if you can't paint a picture with your mind's eye evoked by the sounds, then this could be really, really boring.

It's the soundtrack to a bleak love. I can see where it takes experience and relatability to really supplement the power of what's here. Like, if you let it, this song can mean a lot more to you as you get older. Assuming that by then you will have lost more things important to you...
That was also a really pretentious thing to say, but there you are.

Ha, what an unexpected playfulness at the end. Solace.

This is the kind of song you save for certain days.
:urg::ohwell::)[:bee:]:awesome:

Right, now because this thread is kind of like a game, let's get back to a turn not taking 15 minutes, shall we?

The Besnard Lakes - Glass Printer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE-jV_2LVx4

I'm personally not really into the guitar tone, but I'm at least able to appreciate the bass in this, it fits very well. The vocals don't really have much, if any, progression to them, which makes the song drag. I honestly keep expecting something a bit different to happen, but nope, the same riff just keeps going, and the vocals don't do anything to really push the song to something different or unique.

5/10

My song: TesseracT - Concealing Fate Pt. 2: Deception

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I'm personally not really into the guitar tone, but I'm at least able to appreciate the bass in this, it fits very well. The vocals don't really have much, if any, progression to them, which makes the song drag. I honestly keep expecting something a bit different to happen, but nope, the same riff just keeps going, and the vocals don't do anything to really push the song to something different or unique.

5/10

My song: TesseracT - Concealing Fate Pt. 2: Deception
Time to finally listen to these guys

Probably the best part of the song is all of those "Haunting" elements. The vocals during the verses and those clean guitar lines do a really good job at creating atmosphere. The clean vocals also don't sound nearly as annoying as some of their peers (Periphery, I'm looking at you"

Unfortunatley, what really kills this song is the guitar parts. For the most part, they're bland and unorigional. When they're noticeable, they sound like they're ripping off Periphery, Gojira, or they're doing some chug breakdown. They're also using the Djent tone. Not cool.

4/10

Radiohead- Where I End and You Begin

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
It was particularly slow and felt dragged. And it didn't feed my tastes. It felt creepy as well. Really creepy. "I'll eat you alive" wth?

*shakes off*

I'll give this a 4/10, sorry.

"I am the Doctor" Remix

Y

Yodery

It was particularly slow and felt dragged. And it didn't feed my tastes. It felt creepy as well. Really creepy. "I'll eat you alive" wth?

*shakes off*

I'll give this a 4/10, sorry.

"I am the Doctor" Remix
Yeah, after OK Computer, Mr. Yorke must have been smoking lead paint doobies or something. Whatever it was, it really ****ed up his skill at a lyricist.

Anyways, this song is uh... annoying tbh. It sounds like every song used in any given modern 'epic' movie trailer. DA NA NA NA NA NA NA lul. Yeah dunno what else to say, can't **** with it, sorry.

1.5/5

Have a Nice Life - Holy ****ing ****: 40,000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RtSOK2p61s

cannedbread

Smash Lord
Have a Nice Life - Holy ****ing ****: 40,000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RtSOK2p61s
oooh i've heard this record but i couldn't really get into it
emotional crooning lo-fi vocals isn't really my thing but i do appreciate how the song is structured and i like the little casio beat
but i don't know i can't enjoy this sort of music, i can see why others do but it doesn't really place emphasis on the things i enjoy in music so sorry if this is a lame review
the distorted droning guitar break interlude thing towards the middle is cool and relieves the tension a bit
+production
it feels like something that could grow on me with more listens

6/10

togawa jun - sayonara wo oshiete

this song is a cover of a famous french pop song by francoise hardy, comment te dire adieu. for whoever's interested in the original or whichever you think is better. to be honest i prefer togawa's version

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
togawa jun - sayonara wo oshiete

this song is a cover of a famous french pop song by francoise hardy, comment te dire adieu. for whoever's interested in the original or whichever you think is better. to be honest i prefer togawa's version
i like everything about this intro. the clicks and the sound of the drums and all. the singer has a little too much vibrato in her voice for my taste but it's not a dealbreaker by any means. i like the section where she speaks inbetween the verses. i greatly enjoy the texture of the instruments, i just htink the vocals are a little too up-front and loud. it still makes me happy though.

4/5

MACINTOSH PLUS - リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー

http://beerontherug.bandcamp.com/track/420

theeboredone

Smash Legend
i like everything about this intro. the clicks and the sound of the drums and all. the singer has a little too much vibrato in her voice for my taste but it's not a dealbreaker by any means. i like the section where she speaks inbetween the verses. i greatly enjoy the texture of the instruments, i just htink the vocals are a little too up-front and loud. it still makes me happy though.

4/5

MACINTOSH PLUS - リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー

http://beerontherug.bandcamp.com/track/420
I feel like I'm listening to a song that should belong in a video game or 80s movie. Pretty cool song to listen too, everything from the lyrics to the established beat in the background. It feels thought provoking due to the music, even though what lyrics there are, are pretty simple to understand.

3:50 mark, sick in my headphones. The attack on left, right, left was nice. Loved how it repeats a bit later. It's weird how the song transitions into...well, "It's all in your head" kinda theme with the music becoming torn apart and hard to grasp. I like it, but at the same time, found the beat a bit annoying after a while. Aside from that, my only problem with it is that some may get annoyed with the repetitive nature...it's something I don't mind if I'm letting it stream in the background (which I am right now).

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Gatsby's American Dream - Fable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o95aEzRmM04

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I liked the intro and the singers voice. I like the guitar and vocal melodies a lot. I really hate the lyrics, he sang about islands and killing pigs, lol. And some lyrics dont fit in, like "Dropped a boulder on his brain. You can never take it back.". There was nothing exciting in the song that would make me want to listen to it again. The song needs a good chorus and better lyrics.

3/10

Fun. - Why Am I the One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kdwhTeE3yo

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I liked the intro and the singers voice. I like the guitar and vocal melodies a lot. I really hate the lyrics, he sang about islands and killing pigs, lol. And some lyrics dont fit in, like "Dropped a boulder on his brain. You can never take it back.". There was nothing exciting in the song that would make me want to listen to it again. The song needs a good chorus and better lyrics.

3/10
Just gonna drop a line, and say, if you don't know much about the band, much of their songs have to do about literature, which in turn can confuse people when it comes to lyrics. This song is about "Lord of The Flies". If you've read the book, then you understand the lyrics. Just look at the comments in the video, and you'll see what people are talking about. Even if you Wiki the story, you'll get a broad idea.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
It's fairly jangly pop stuff, though not exactly what I'd describe as "fun". There's nothing particularly bad about this, it's just kind of bland imo. I will say that I like the singer's voice so I might actually go out of my way to listen to some of their other stuff later to see if it gets better.

The Creepshow - The Garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp2UHWuf7UY
Ooooh, I like the bass in this, very catchy. The singer doesn't really do much to progress the song, but the backup singers do a good job with their harmony. Overall a very simple song, but its definitely for the best, its a nice, catchy, mellow song with good lyrical content as well!

7/10

My song: Transit - Cutting Corners

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Ooooh, I like the bass in this, very catchy. The singer doesn't really do much to progress the song, but the backup singers do a good job with their harmony. Overall a very simple song, but its definitely for the best, its a nice, catchy, mellow song with good lyrical content as well!

7/10

My song: Transit - Cutting Corners
I've recently been playing with what seems like a hundred bands that sound exactly like this in the past few months, and I gotta say I guess it just isn't my thing. The only pop-punk I like is the stuff that is pretty much just pop, like Fallout Boy.

it's just so...derivative. how many times can these people use that same gallop drum pattern, twinkly Taking Back Sunday "riffs" and monotone voice harmonies?

the lyrics are alright, but I honestly hate everything else. it's pop punk, so if you're into it, it might be a good song. i really have no clue in terms of that because i have no frame of reference because i hate the genre.

1/5

Perceptionist "Feeling Nostalgic" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_1Hl_F21aQ

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
It's ok...

I felt like the instruments overpowered the vocals a little too much, I found it hard to understand what he was singing in the beginning. I'm not even sure what the song was about... The singer DOES have a nice voice though. The screeching part caught me off guard a bit. I was actually starting to like the song, but then it just butchered itself and went downhill from there. =/ Besides the screeching, it wasn't bad, but wasn't great.

Not really my taste, but I suppose it was good for what it was. Especially compared to other metal songs.

3/5

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Lol, you changed the song after I reviewed the original.

I did not like the 'We were born to love" chorus. It wasn't catchy, and it was bland. I hated the effect on the voices, I would like the song if it didn't have it. I did like everything else. The instrumental was very catchy. The second verse reminded me of Kesha's song SuperNatural.
1.5/5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ngnjNHSxA

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
D: lol oops. *changes back*

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ngnjNHSxA"

The singing in the beginning was terrible. Lol, after the first minute or so it was very dramatic and nice. The lyrics were... interesting... not really sure which "side" the writer was on. This song would be good in some sort of movie. It has the dramatic end-of-a-movie-song sort of feel.

A nice change of pace from the usual metal/rap/pop songs posted here. It was definitely different.

I'll give it a 4.2/5. The beginning of the song wasn't so great, but after I got past that it just drew me in.

Colton Dixon - Noise

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, you changed the song after I reviewed the original.

I did not like the 'We were born to love" chorus. It wasn't catchy, and it was bland. I hated the effect on the voices, I would like the song if it didn't have it. I did like everything else. The instrumental was very catchy. The second verse reminded me of Kesha's song SuperNatural.
1.5/5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ngnjNHSxA
Lol, when I saw the song title, I originally thought it was going to be by Plain White T's. Anyways, I like the intro to this song. A nice build up, which establishes the mood and theme of the song. Lyrics are pretty strong. The only problem I have with this song is that the overall "tune" becomes a bit redundant. The singer doesn't really change his tone all that much, making the song a bit one dimensional. The choir can't save this one in that area.

Strong lyrics, good initial build up, and some nice instrumentals. Lacks in the change up department in both instruments and voice.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Avenged Sevenfold - M.I.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SWV5FsCd8

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Into's pretty good. Fits with the theme of the song well. Goes downhill from there, though. It starts to feel like generic hard rock. That chorus doesn't fit with the message of the song at all, yuck. That part around 5:50 was kind of interesting, I guess. The part where it goes back to the intro at around 7:00 is really good. They should have done more with that part, as it's much, much better than the rest of the song.

2.5/5

dälek- Culture for Dollars

Oh wait we could use some diversity.

You asked for it.

Naked City- American Psycho

Screw it i'll change it back

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Sorry illmatic, but it's an unwritten rule that you have to go into more depth than just a rating

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I'll review White Mage's song because it was skipped.

I did not like the car alarms sound, but I think it was a creative idea. The verses were decent, and they were a little catchy. I liked the fast drum beat. But the chorus sounds like they tried so hard to make it catchy, but it's not. I loved the guitar throughout the song.
4.5/10

T

Thisisnotthespot69

Into's pretty good. Fits with the theme of the song well. Goes downhill from there, though. It starts to feel like generic hard rock. That chorus doesn't fit with the message of the song at all, yuck. That part around 5:50 was kind of interesting, I guess. The part where it goes back to the intro at around 7:00 is really good. They should have done more with that part, as it's much, much better than the rest of the song.

2.5/5

Oh wait we could use some diversity.

You asked for it.

Naked City- American Psycho

Screw it i'll change it back
Jesus, this song is absolutely terrifying. It's like early Swans meets cLOUDDEAD or something. I just love how everything just builds and builds and builds, through the gritty, metallic-sounding drums. The noise in the background helps too. The rapping is w/e; the lo-fi production is pretty cool. Dark stuff.

4/5

Game Theory - Look Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHtsLaeEB0

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I liked the whole song. The instrumental was amazing. I didn't like the singers voice a lot but it was listenable. I loved the drum beat with the guitar chords, and I loved the guitar melodies. The song feels longer than it really is, probably because it's not in the same format as most songs.

Eh. I really dislike this guy's voice, especially during the chorus. Though it's supposed to sound all anthemic, it just comes out emotionless. Hell, emotionless is a pretty good way to describe this song. The whole thing just comes off as dry.

2/5

Talking Heads- Born Under Punches

cannedbread

Smash Lord

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
This song is weird.. not really my taste at all. The music is kinda funky and definitely from the 80's. I'm guessing the main problem is the huge generation gap. There isn't anything that moves me about the song. I didn't even understand what she was saying at all, I looked up the lyrics and wasn't able to keep up because I had no idea where she was in the song. If it was just instrumental or had better singing, it would've been ok, but the not understandable singing kind of ruined it. I do sort of like the funky African vibe it has mixed in there, but other than that, it's like a song you would hear in the $1 store. :S

1.2/5 This was just weird. At least it was creative, lol.

Demi Lovato - Heart Attack

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
This song is weird.. not really my taste at all. The music is kinda funky and definitely from the 80's. I'm guessing the main problem is the huge generation gap. There isn't anything that moves me about the song. I didn't even understand what she was saying at all, I looked up the lyrics and wasn't able to keep up because I had no idea where she was in the song. If it was just instrumental or had better singing, it would've been ok, but the not understandable singing kind of ruined it. I do sort of like the funky African vibe it has mixed in there, but other than that, it's like a song you would hear in the $1 store. :S

1.2/5 This was just weird. At least it was creative, lol.

Demi Lovato - Heart Attack
The first time I heard this song, I hated it. It sounded very bland and not catchy. After listening to it a few more times this past week, it sounds decent.
I really hate the part "so I'm putting my defenses up, cause I don't want to fall in love". Other than that, the chorus is catchy. The verses sound like verses I can hear in any pop song, but I don't mind.
6.5/10

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I think we should have weekly themes. It might bring back some life and diversion to the thread. Like maybe one week we would rate songs from movies, the next instrumental, pop, rock, soundtrack etc.

soap

Smash Hero
^that's not a bad idea

Kesha, Demi Lovato, and Kelly Clarkson are the reason I stopped checking this thread

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i don't think the thread needs rules to enforce diversity, i think it should be the onus of the poster to not constantly post songs from the same genre and artist over and over again. sure it sucks when people don't do that and it is also the reason i stopped participating, but i don't think having some schedule of topics and categories is going to help with activity too much. really all that needs to be done is BlueZelda and WhiteMage to stop posting billboard charts pop music all thte time

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I posted a lot of non pop music Evanescence is not pop. And I posted some trance music.
I changed my last song.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
The thing about the diversity issue is that most of the constant teenpop comes from only two people here. If they could start posting more than that, then we won't have a diversity problem

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I posted a lot of non pop music Evanescence is not pop. And I posted some trance music.
I changed my last song.
actually, i really contend that point. evanescence is absolutely pop music. it's mainstream rock that is created to play on the radio. evanescence is more similar to kelly clarkson than they are most "real" rock bands.

anyway, apologies for the derail

Top Bottom