• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Jane

Smash Hero

soap

Smash Hero
oh wow, been a while since i listened to underoath. sounds exactly like they sounded way back when, haha. to be honest i was never a big fan, and the fact theyre doing nothing new doesnt really help.

:urg::ohwell:[:)]:bee::awesome:

its not horrible, but it just doesnt move me in any way.

brand new - jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_iNdbPvrYk&feature=relmfu
Haven't heard Brand New in forever. My little sister used to be really into them, almost what, nearly ten years ago now.

Really enjoyed this song. The instrumentals are kinda perfect for this time of night. The theme was kinda humanizing of Jesus.

Really liked:
"What did you do those three days you were dead?"

I honestly don't ever think about the afterlife or its possibilities, cuz, iono, it just seems very irrelevant to this life. I especially dislike the concept of living righteous in fear of hell/retribution. Live righteously cuz its righteous.

Good song. Great atmosphere building, thought provoking.
My Score: 4/5
Took one off cuz I just can't give depressing **** a perfect score cuz sometimes I just hate these types of songs.

My song, is also titled Jesus

Blu - Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScKpj2DbHkQ

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Haven't heard Brand New in forever. My little sister used to be really into them, almost what, nearly ten years ago now.

Really enjoyed this song. The instrumentals are kinda perfect for this time of night. The theme was kinda humanizing of Jesus.

Really liked:
"What did you do those three days you were dead?"

I honestly don't ever think about the afterlife or its possibilities, cuz, iono, it just seems very irrelevant to this life. I especially dislike the concept of living righteous in fear of hell/retribution. Live righteously cuz its righteous.

Good song. Great atmosphere building, thought provoking.
My Score: 4/5
Took one off cuz I just can't give depressing **** a perfect score cuz sometimes I just hate these types of songs.

My song, is also titled Jesus

Blu - Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScKpj2DbHkQ
I liked the beginning a lot. I always like kids vocals within songs. It gives it a interesting vibe to it.

I had a hard time understanding the meaning of this song. The title "Jesus" really threw me off but I guess that is the appeal of it.

One thing for sure though is I am really liking the guitar sections that is sprinkled within the song. It has a very groovy feel to it despite it being "rap" (I am using the word rap as I am unfamiliar to most rap sub-genres).

Overall, while I am not into most rap with a few exceptions, I really liked this song. Does most of their music resemble that or does it change often"

3.8/5

Here is my song:

""Sad to Say" - JASMINE

soap

Smash Hero
I liked the beginning a lot. I always like kids vocals within songs. It gives it a interesting vibe to it.

I had a hard time understanding the meaning of this song. The title "Jesus" really threw me off but I guess that is the appeal of it.

One thing for sure though is I am really liking the guitar sections that is sprinkled within the song. It has a very groovy feel to it despite it being "rap" (I am using the word rap as I am unfamiliar to most rap sub-genres).

Overall, while I am not into most rap with a few exceptions, I really liked this song. Does most of their music resemble that or does it change often"

3.8/5

Here is my song:

""Sad to Say" - JASMINE
His sound varies project to project, even within this particular album. I definitely call him hip hop but I don't really get into labeling sub-genres.

And ya, his lyrics are not always the most straightforward or coherent, but, they make sense to me. The most meaningful section for me was "Who was there? Who cares? Hold hands, say a prayer. Amen."

As in, whether Jesus was real or not should not affect your spirituality today.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

3.8/5

Here is my song:

""Sad to Say" - JASMINE
Meh. I like this because it reminds me of the 90s. Beyond that it's really not my thing. The engrish is pretty funny. The chorus is okay, but mostly everything is just way too overproduced and un-dynamic. The hooks and melodies just seem kinda, weak to me.

2/5

Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow http://youtu.be/mrNvoWcZfO0 song starts at :30

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Meh. I like this because it reminds me of the 90s. Beyond that it's really not my thing. The engrish is pretty funny. The chorus is okay, but mostly everything is just way too overproduced and un-dynamic. The hooks and melodies just seem kinda, weak to me.

2/5

Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow http://youtu.be/mrNvoWcZfO0 song starts at :30
Ohhh. Good combination. I love both of these artists.

Kind of a slow start for me. I like the quality of their voices. I have always liked Nick Caves for how low and .... dreary (I guess?) it is. It is very comforting and fun to listen to. It has a nice slow and sombre beat to it.

The lyrics are pretty interesting too. They are really sad but not depressing sad I would say. Beautifully sad. That is how I would describe this song: beautifully sad. Maybe even bittersweet. I love the line 'All beauty must die' . It makes me wonder if it's better to die corrupted and ugly or to die beautifully. Everything must come to an end so should my end come swift and soon while I am young and vibrant or when I am old and suffering. That is what I got from the song but maybe I am reading too much into it.

However, while I liked the slower tempo of the song, at times it seemed to crawl. It was beautiful but, at times, it was hard to focus on the song due to it's slow tempo. That is how I felt about it. I found myself saying "ok...pick it up a bit" at certain slower times. But I wouldn't call it boring.

Overall, a beautifully sad song that suffers from extremely slow moments. Still a good song with two capable artists.

4.1/5

Here is my song. It is a favorite of mine to sing at karaoke.

"リンダリンダリンダ (Linda, Linda, Linda)" - The Blue Hearts

This video is much more quieter but it has translated lyrics.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
oh wow, been a while since i listened to underoath. sounds exactly like they sounded way back when, haha. to be honest i was never a big fan, and the fact theyre doing nothing new doesnt really help.

its not horrible, but it just doesnt move me in any way.

brand new - jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_iNdbPvrYk&feature=relmfu

The reason why it sounded just that was because that's exactly when its from, that song came out in '06 XD. They sound different now, they dropped their drummer/clean singer and got Norma Jean's old drummer.

Ohhh. Good combination. I love both of these artists.

Kind of a slow start for me. I like the quality of their voices. I have always liked Nick Caves for how low and .... dreary (I guess?) it is. It is very comforting and fun to listen to. It has a nice slow and sombre beat to it.

The lyrics are pretty interesting too. They are really sad but not depressing sad I would say. Beautifully sad. That is how I would describe this song: beautifully sad. Maybe even bittersweet. I love the line 'All beauty must die' . It makes me wonder if it's better to die corrupted and ugly or to die beautifully. Everything must come to an end so should my end come swift and soon while I am young and vibrant or when I am old and suffering. That is what I got from the song but maybe I am reading too much into it.

However, while I liked the slower tempo of the song, at times it seemed to crawl. It was beautiful but, at times, it was hard to focus on the song due to it's slow tempo. That is how I felt about it. I found myself saying "ok...pick it up a bit" at certain slower times. But I wouldn't call it boring.

Overall, a beautifully sad song that suffers from extremely slow moments. Still a good song with two capable artists.

4.1/5

Here is my song. It is a favorite of mine to sing at karaoke.

"リンダリンダリンダ (Linda, Linda, Linda)" - The Blue Hearts

This video is much more quieter but it has translated lyrics.

Dear lord, it's a Japanese Rancid! :bee: Not bad, though I wasn't a big fan of the vocals, they seemed a little off, plus the singer started the song with Elvis knees and kept staring around frantically like he was a drug addict XD.

6/10

My song: The Junior Varsity - The Sky!

(please forgive me if I've posted the song before, I can't remember for the life of me what songs I've posted in the past and many songs tend to come back to me XD)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The reason why it sounded just that was because that's exactly when its from, that song came out in '06 XD. They sound different now, they dropped their drummer/clean singer and got Norma Jean's old drummer.

Dear lord, it's a Japanese Rancid! :bee: Not bad, though I wasn't a big fan of the vocals, they seemed a little off, plus the singer started the song with Elvis knees and kept staring around frantically like he was a drug addict XD.

6/10

My song: The Junior Varsity - The Sky!

(please forgive me if I've posted the song before, I can't remember for the life of me what songs I've posted in the past and many songs tend to come back to me XD)
I like these vocals a lot. The song is quite dynamic for the genre and 1:00 in and it's already changed a bunch of times. i like that. lots of fun and pretty guitar riffs.

The quieter interludes are nice, but I wish he'd sing a little softer in those parts.

Aside from that, a real solid and pleasant song! Stops right before it wears out its welcome, and has a fun little noodley riff thrown in at the end for good measure.

4.3/5

Nas "Hero" (explicit language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-Ab8e8-aM

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I like these vocals a lot. The song is quite dynamic for the genre and 1:00 in and it's already changed a bunch of times. i like that. lots of fun and pretty guitar riffs.

The quieter interludes are nice, but I wish he'd sing a little softer in those parts.

Aside from that, a real solid and pleasant song! Stops right before it wears out its welcome, and has a fun little noodley riff thrown in at the end for good measure.

4.3/5

Nas "Hero" (explicit language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-Ab8e8-aM
Oh Nas, you can never go wrong with Nas. The opening beat sort of makes me feel like it belongs in a video game, but in general, the beat to this song is really catchy and works well with his flow. The chorus is really tight, and very uplifting.

Kinda funny how he starts with the line "cleanest rapper" but has some dirty words lol. With that being said, the flow and his lyrics are really really good. I'm not sure how he feels about these lyrics. It's rather narcissistic, but Nas is definitely different compared to other rappers. Maybe I'm just looking too much into it. I really like this song minus a few things. A 4 minute song, but the verses feel rather short.

8.5/10

Fort Minor - Right Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJdtcpase4

soap

Smash Hero
Clean is also used as a synonym for nice, complete, well put together. (In the hip hop world)

His flow is clean, even tho he swears alot.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh Nas, you can never go wrong with Nas. The opening beat sort of makes me feel like it belongs in a video game, but in general, the beat to this song is really catchy and works well with his flow. The chorus is really tight, and very uplifting.

Kinda funny how he starts with the line "cleanest rapper" but has some dirty words lol. With that being said, the flow and his lyrics are really really good. I'm not sure how he feels about these lyrics. It's rather narcissistic, but Nas is definitely different compared to other rappers. Maybe I'm just looking too much into it. I really like this song minus a few things. A 4 minute song, but the verses feel rather short.

8.5/10

Fort Minor - Right Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJdtcpase4
Pretty good opening to the song. Not exactly getting the rap part but I am enjoying it. I do the lyrics though.

I am liking how the vocals go along with the beat. It blends well together.

I really liked 2:09 until 2:24. I love when piano accompanies a song like this.

I am still "hmmm....." during the rapping parts. I like rapping but it's just not my think. I appreciate it as a art style and if definitely takes skill to do it. I guess I just don't have an ear for it.
Again I really like 3:33. The same piano portions.

Overall, I would give it a 2.1/5 :)

My song is:

"Heatbeats" The Knife

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Pretty good opening to the song. Not exactly getting the rap part but I am enjoying it. I do the lyrics though.

I am liking how the vocals go along with the beat. It blends well together.

I really liked 2:09 until 2:24. I love when piano accompanies a song like this.

I am still "hmmm....." during the rapping parts. I like rapping but it's just not my think. I appreciate it as a art style and if definitely takes skill to do it. I guess I just don't have an ear for it.
Again I really like 3:33. The same piano portions.

Overall, I would give it a 2.1/5 :)

My song is:

"Heatbeats" The Knife
I honestly had nothing going through my head while listening to this. I mean, it's just something you listen too and subtley take in. It's not something to tap your foot too, nor it's distasteful. The overall sound is just so...I dunno how to describe it, it sort of made me just trans into it. This music video doesn't help with the recycled footage of kids making figure 8s with their skateboards.

Though the voice...I'm not sure why there is an appeal for singers like these. Usually you hear them in indie groups. I mean, I guess it appeals to certain groups more than others. I had a hard time paying attention to the lyrics, cause the sound itself makes you fall into a bit of trans.

Overall, something I wouldn't mind listening in a car or a stream. Wouldn't go back to it.

5/10

Northstar - American Living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWoHx-KinY

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I honestly had nothing going through my head while listening to this. I mean, it's just something you listen too and subtley take in. It's not something to tap your foot too, nor it's distasteful. The overall sound is just so...I dunno how to describe it, it sort of made me just trans into it. This music video doesn't help with the recycled footage of kids making figure 8s with their skateboards.

Though the voice...I'm not sure why there is an appeal for singers like these. Usually you hear them in indie groups. I mean, I guess it appeals to certain groups more than others. I had a hard time paying attention to the lyrics, cause the sound itself makes you fall into a bit of trans.

Overall, something I wouldn't mind listening in a car or a stream. Wouldn't go back to it.

5/10

Northstar - American Living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWoHx-KinY
this is the kind of soulless generic radio alt rock crap that i really hate to listen to. it has a catchy enough chorus, i guess. Vocals are completely annoying and the lyrics are half as clever as I feel they are trying to be. otherwise, it's completely unremarkable to the point that I can barely talk about it. it's by the numbers "how to succeed in the modern music industry for dummies" music.

.5/5

Leadbelly "Midnight Special" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqgysixP_48

Jane

Smash Hero
this is the kind of soulless generic radio alt rock crap that i really hate to listen to. it has a catchy enough chorus, i guess. Vocals are completely annoying and the lyrics are half as clever as I feel they are trying to be. otherwise, it's completely unremarkable to the point that I can barely talk about it. it's by the numbers "how to succeed in the modern music industry for dummies" music.

.5/5

Leadbelly "Midnight Special" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqgysixP_48
lmao. if it makes you feel any better, bored, i enjoyed the song. had a nice little taking back sunday style.

as for your song, it was cool. i enjoyed it. i definitely dont listen to any music like that on my own so, it certainly conjured up images of like, the south in the late 1800s. the melody was pleasant, although i didnt pay much attention to the lyrics so i cant really comment on that. i'm sure it was telling a nice story though as most old time music does, buuut it didnt grab me hard enough to where i wanted to pay attention to the lyrics.

after the burial - to carry you away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnm63njc0KQ

theeboredone

Smash Legend
lmao. if it makes you feel any better, bored, i enjoyed the song. had a nice little taking back sunday style.

as for your song, it was cool. i enjoyed it. i definitely dont listen to any music like that on my own so, it certainly conjured up images of like, the south in the late 1800s. the melody was pleasant, although i didnt pay much attention to the lyrics so i cant really comment on that. i'm sure it was telling a nice story though as most old time music does, buuut it didnt grab me hard enough to where i wanted to pay attention to the lyrics.

after the burial - to carry you away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnm63njc0KQ
I think this is the first song where a guy screams his lungs off, and I can understand what he's saying. Though I don't know why these songs have to start out gently before blasting my ears x_x. Anyways, I feel like all songs of this genre have that common sound to them, though they do try to spice it up when some intermissions. Like the guitar solo, and I guess what you would consider the chorus? Overall, definitely not my cup of tea, but at least I understood what he was saying. I felt like...these lyrics should be put to a slower song, but I'm probably missing the appeal again. I will say though, I do enjoy the once in a while background vocals that pop up during the chorus. Though I guess that's what I like about all heavy metal bands...when someone is actually trying to sing lol.

4/10

Sherwood - What Are You Waiting For?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZMvPYiR3M

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I believe it's a Swedish band. Maybe that's why her voice sounds different. Personally, the tune and chorus has been in my head for three days straight now.

I think this is the first song where a guy screams his lungs off, and I can understand what he's saying. Though I don't know why these songs have to start out gently before blasting my ears x_x. Anyways, I feel like all songs of this genre have that common sound to them, though they do try to spice it up when some intermissions. Like the guitar solo, and I guess what you would consider the chorus? Overall, definitely not my cup of tea, but at least I understood what he was saying. I felt like...these lyrics should be put to a slower song, but I'm probably missing the appeal again. I will say though, I do enjoy the once in a while background vocals that pop up during the chorus. Though I guess that's what I like about all heavy metal bands...when someone is actually trying to sing lol.

4/10

Sherwood - What Are You Waiting For?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZMvPYiR3M
Hmm...the beginning was pretty ordinary and stereotypical but not bad really. See,s like a pretty good message. However, it doesn't really let me ask too many questions. Not exactly thought provoking. I don't want to call it cookie cutter soft/alt/pop rock but that is how is sounds to me.

Oh I really like 2:08 - 2:18. Nice guitar effect. However, the more I listen to the song, I don't really like the singers voice. Just seems to....regular.

Overall, didn't like the singer much but I loved the guitar parts. Especially towards the end. Another thing I'd like to bring up is the content of the song. Before, you mentioned the song I put up "Heartbeats" that it is something you listen to subtly. I would agree since most people who listen to the song are hopped up on crystal meth. This song is almost the same but in a different way. To me, it felt so cookie cutter'ish, that there was no room for exploration or philosophical readings. I didn't find myself asking questions about the song, the lyrical content, or why they wrote this song. The lyrics were straight forward, the guitar parts were in all the right spots, and it followed the Rock formula to a T.

I rate it a: 2.5/5

I am not saying it's bad but, like you said before, it appeals to a certain group. I like it but I prefer music that I just want to say "What the ****?!" I guess what the song was missing for me was a lack of a ethereal/dream like feeling in the song which I usually tend to like a lot in songs.

Anyways, I posted this in the forum game threads and felt like posting it in her too. As well, the footage taken from it is from the movie Babel so it's not the official video footage.

"Knights" Crystal Castles

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
"Knights" Crystal Castles
probably my favorite song off CC's first album. I don't really like the beginning bounce at all, but when the chorus thing kicks in with those vocals and the huge synth pads, I'm in love. I don't know what is being said exactly, but I like the part that sounds like "is this death?" the best. It's really hard for me to dislike any song by Crystal Castles but I do prefer their second album.

also, this video is really fitting. good job to that person.

4.7/5

Bjork "Who is It" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFsHuu0ah_g awesome live version because it's tough finding the actual song on YT

theeboredone

Smash Legend
probably my favorite song off CC's first album. I don't really like the beginning bounce at all, but when the chorus thing kicks in with those vocals and the huge synth pads, I'm in love. I don't know what is being said exactly, but I like the part that sounds like "is this death?" the best. It's really hard for me to dislike any song by Crystal Castles but I do prefer their second album.

also, this video is really fitting. good job to that person.

4.7/5

Bjork "Who is It" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFsHuu0ah_g awesome live version because it's tough finding the actual song on YT
I've heard of Bjork before, but never have bothered listening to them. Chalk that up to my laziness...

Ha! I like this. Not sure how the studio version sounds, but with the live orchestra, the music really comes to life. I mean, it's so up beat, but at the same time it goes so well with her singing flow and words. The music, while uplifting also has this ominous tone I feel whenever she sings "Who is it?". She sings pretty well live too. I honestly had no complaints from this song, other then it's not my typical type of my music. I don't think it's exactly car music, but I would play it on my computer to pass the time.

8/10

Manny Pacquiao - Sometimes When We Touch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Ibb_lz0zw

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I've heard of Bjork before, but never have bothered listening to them. Chalk that up to my laziness...

Ha! I like this. Not sure how the studio version sounds, but with the live orchestra, the music really comes to life. I mean, it's so up beat, but at the same time it goes so well with her singing flow and words. The music, while uplifting also has this ominous tone I feel whenever she sings "Who is it?". She sings pretty well live too. I honestly had no complaints from this song, other then it's not my typical type of my music. I don't think it's exactly car music, but I would play it on my computer to pass the time.

8/10

I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that IT'S MANNY ****ING PACQUIAO, but his voice isn't bad at all. Overall a pleasant rendition of the song.

7/10

My song: Anthony Raneri (of Bayside) - Do You Wanna Know? (Alkaline Trio cover)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that IT'S MANNY ****ING PACQUIAO, but his voice isn't bad at all. Overall a pleasant rendition of the song.

7/10

My song: Anthony Raneri (of Bayside) - Do You Wanna Know? (Alkaline Trio cover)
I'm not familiar with the original song, so I'm going into this fresh.
Seems like a pretty standard poppy kinda-punk acoustic song. Nothing impressive instrumentally, not that I would expect that. His voice is good, but nothing spectacular. A little flat at times. Recording quality is mediocre, but that's fine. Just a little annoying when he goes for a higher note and my speakers hurt. All-in-all it was just a very safe and simple acoustic song. Nothing really caught my attention.

6.5/10

I'm gonna shamelessly plug my band. We did a crappy recording in a friends garage. The songs were half-written, mostly improvised as we recorded. We plan on recording a full album this summer, all self-recorded/produced/whatever. So... here's one:

Top Hats and Effigies - The Sunrise Said Everything Will Be Alright
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atB5oKjoGvU

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

8/10

Bjork isn't a band, it's the singer in that video's name. She employs different orchestra or groups of musicians every tour but the albums/songwriting is all one person. She's one of the more refreshing live artists because every tour she does has had a different sound. It's interesting that there are many different versions of most of her songs because she refuses to perform them like they are on the record. For instance, the album from which that song is from is entirely a cappella on record.

6.5/10

I'm gonna shamelessly plug my band. We did a crappy recording in a friends garage. The songs were half-written, mostly improvised as we recorded. We plan on recording a full album this summer, all self-recorded/produced/whatever. So... here's one:

Top Hats and Effigies - The Sunrise Said Everything Will Be Alright
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atB5oKjoGvU
I like the lo-fi aesthetic of the intro. Like uncovering an old forgotten and damaged casette and playing it. The way it segues into the "real song" is quite nice. The carnival swing of this mixed with the heavy rock riffs kinda reminds me of Diablo Swing Orchestra. that's a good thing.

however, with that comparison in mind I can't help but be a little disappointed with these vocals. It might be part of the poor mix/recording quality that is making the vocals sound weak and bland but music like this calls for something way more extravagant and over the top in the vocal dept.

The harsh vocals are a step up, but they aren't mindblowing. I'd say they are certainly the weak point of the song. the clean singing isn't creepy or crazy, and the harsh vocals are not hard-hitting enough.

Overall a very interesting mood to this piece. Like I said, it's very carnival-sounding and switches up often enough to remain interesting. Solidify the song structure a bit, get a better recording and vocal performance and you got a pretty cool song on your hands!

3/5

mine, a classic. Sigur Ros "Staralfur"

http://youtu.be/ou6AfZw4cFc

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Thanks for the tips, Luigi.
Yeah, we are definitely going to be stepping it up with the recording quality, which was mostly an issue with drums and vocals. Peter (the singer/guitarist/bassist/keyboardist) has also really improved his vocals. This was his first time really doing some lead vocal stuff, and he has just learned how to scream properly. We may do some more creative things vocally later, but this was really thrown together quickly. I'm not joking when I say it was mostly improvised.

And yeah, we're big time DSO fans.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Bjork isn't a band, it's the singer in that video's name. She employs different orchestra or groups of musicians every tour but the albums/songwriting is all one person. She's one of the more refreshing live artists because every tour she does has had a different sound. It's interesting that there are many different versions of most of her songs because she refuses to perform them like they are on the record. For instance, the album from which that song is from is entirely a cappella on record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGUbtyvXu-Y
I get this image in my head whenever I listen to Bjork.

I like the lo-fi aesthetic of the intro. Like uncovering an old forgotten and damaged casette and playing it. The way it segues into the "real song" is quite nice. The carnival swing of this mixed with the heavy rock riffs kinda reminds me of Diablo Swing Orchestra. that's a good thing.

however, with that comparison in mind I can't help but be a little disappointed with these vocals. It might be part of the poor mix/recording quality that is making the vocals sound weak and bland but music like this calls for something way more extravagant and over the top in the vocal dept.

The harsh vocals are a step up, but they aren't mindblowing. I'd say they are certainly the weak point of the song. the clean singing isn't creepy or crazy, and the harsh vocals are not hard-hitting enough.

Overall a very interesting mood to this piece. Like I said, it's very carnival-sounding and switches up often enough to remain interesting. Solidify the song structure a bit, get a better recording and vocal performance and you got a pretty cool song on your hands!

3/5

mine, a classic. Sigur Ros "Staralfur"

http://youtu.be/ou6AfZw4cFc
Hmmmmmm Sigur Ros.

I love the intro to this song. Just so peaceful. Plus, the vocals add to that dream-like warm feeling the intro has. It just comes together really well. The video itself aids on this and is an excellent choice. Without it though, I kind of picture outer space and just floating above the earth. **** starts popping off at 3:02 and makes the song even more epic than what it is WHILE still keeping the entire warm dream-like feeling and peacefulness. **** as in the strings and guitars.

4:14 is the start of my favorite part. Stringed instruments (non-synthetic ones) can make any song sound epic IMO. A already epic song though, when accompanied by strings, is orgasmic in every sense of the word. Overall, a very good airy, atmospheric song that just makes you feel peaceful (and sleepy).

4/5

My Song:
"The Girl and the Sea" The Presets

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
My Song:
"The Girl and the Sea" The Presets
The monotonous voice is kind of a nice fit to the beep boop of that beat, but the chorus is sung, and feels kind of out of place. Then the beep boop is gone and there's more of a plucking guitar type thing which doesn't fit with the monotonous voice. That's a lot to say about not a very big problem, but there it is lol.
So anyway, it's not a bad song, for sure. But there's nothing in it that stands out. At all. It's the kind of song that affects you most when you're already in a particular mood. So it's not an inherently... powerful song.

:urg::ohwell: [mysterious grey area] :):bee::awesome:

QOTSA - I'm Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHyT64ITnQ

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The monotonous voice is kind of a nice fit to the beep boop of that beat, but the chorus is sung, and feels kind of out of place. Then the beep boop is gone and there's more of a plucking guitar type thing which doesn't fit with the monotonous voice. That's a lot to say about not a very big problem, but there it is lol.
So anyway, it's not a bad song, for sure. But there's nothing in it that stands out. At all. It's the kind of song that affects you most when you're already in a particular mood. So it's not an inherently... powerful song.

:urg::ohwell: [mysterious grey area] :):bee::awesome:

QOTSA - I'm Designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHyT64ITnQ
I like this. I never heard this song before. I like the lower quality of the audio compared to Songs for the Deaf and stuff. The way the guitars and drums work with eachother and the vocals reminds me a bit of Modest Mouse except more rock n roll.

The chorus melody like at 3:10 reminds me of the chorus to "Paper Cuts" by Nirvana.

Nice groovy song with a bite. fun.

3.5/5

horse the band BIG BUSINESS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHo4aYOt6M (some foul language, lyrics in description)

Jane

Smash Hero
horse the band BIG BUSINESS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHo4aYOt6M (some foul language, lyrics in description)
love me some horse, and this is newer horse that i havent heard. the intro does a nice job of building the hype. love the mexico city part/breakdown. i dont understand why exactly mexico city, and for that matter i dont understand the lyrics, but lyrics hardly matter to me with this type of music. the melody keeps changing and i love it. it gets really ambient while still keeping my head bobbing. really nice track, i should catch up on horse.

:urg::ohwell::)[:bee:]:awesome:

Xaphoon Jones - I Wanna Know Now (Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR9ZFL1okUg

theeboredone

Smash Legend
love me some horse, and this is newer horse that i havent heard. the intro does a nice job of building the hype. love the mexico city part/breakdown. i dont understand why exactly mexico city, and for that matter i dont understand the lyrics, but lyrics hardly matter to me with this type of music. the melody keeps changing and i love it. it gets really ambient while still keeping my head bobbing. really nice track, i should catch up on horse.

Xaphoon Jones - I Wanna Know Now (Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR9ZFL1okUg
MGMT and Bob Barley? Where do people think of this stuff? Anyways, I do know who Xaphoon is courtesy of Chiddy Bang. I honestly don't think Marley's voice goes well with the main "chorus" of the MGMT song. But when the chorus is not playing, I think the song flows really well. When both song's singers come in, it fits and molds well. I think 5 minutes is a bit too long for this song, cause I find it getting a bit repetitive at some point. With that being said, an interesting mix...has its enjoyable moments, but aside from the end chorus, the chorus itself is meh and it gets a bit repetitive.

6/10

New Found Glory - When I Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6-wfvU7nY

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
The composition is fine and the repeated melody is pretty catchy. The performance isn't on the other hand. The nasally vocals are fairly overpowering and obnoxious. I'd also prefer it if the strings were more prominent in the mix. I'd give this a 4/10 understanding the appeal, and if performed by a better band this has potential to be a good song.

Love Spirals Downwards - Mirrors A Still Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQV7yG2M9vE

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The composition is fine and the repeated melody is pretty catchy. The performance isn't on the other hand. The nasally vocals are fairly overpowering and obnoxious. I'd also prefer it if the strings were more prominent in the mix. I'd give this a 4/10 understanding the appeal, and if performed by a better band this has potential to be a good song.

Love Spirals Downwards - Mirrors A Still Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQV7yG2M9vE
Initially reminded of Cocteau Twins or Dead Can Dance. It's cool how perfect the guitar tone is when it fades in. At first I felt like it needed some vocals, but I think it's fine without them actually. Very nice. Wouldn't be out of place on a Slowdive album.

4.5/5

Jenny Lewis "It wasn't me" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9LmC0KqRzw

soap

Smash Hero
Initially reminded of Cocteau Twins or Dead Can Dance. It's cool how perfect the guitar tone is when it fades in. At first I felt like it needed some vocals, but I think it's fine without them actually. Very nice. Wouldn't be out of place on a Slowdive album.

4.5/5

Jenny Lewis "It wasn't me" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9LmC0KqRzw
I really like this song. Been listening to it for a couple days now, and nobody has done it yet so I will.

I really like her voice first off. I haven't really listened to any Jenny Lewis since Rilo Kiley but her voice still has a very soft textured quality. The chords are pretty simple and not overbearing and let her voice and the songwriting shine through.

Very good songwriting, like almost every line. That is what make this such an engaging song for me. Seems to be about accountability in general. Looking back it never seems like it was quite you living your past. She says It wasn't me tho with a sort of tongue in cheek. The song is after all about accountability and "it's your little red wagon and you gotta pull it."

Also, interesting contrast to politicians/actors and the metaphor of a love affair to the tower of babel was kinda cool.

I give it a 5/5

My song: Regina Spektor - How
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8H3LbxO44k

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I really like this song. Been listening to it for a couple days now, and nobody has done it yet so I will.

I really like her voice first off. I haven't really listened to any Jenny Lewis since Rilo Kiley but her voice still has a very soft textured quality. The chords are pretty simple and not overbearing and let her voice and the songwriting shine through.

Very good songwriting, like almost every line. That is what make this such an engaging song for me. Seems to be about accountability in general. Looking back it never seems like it was quite you living your past. She says It wasn't me tho with a sort of tongue in cheek. The song is after all about accountability and "it's your little red wagon and you gotta pull it."

Also, interesting contrast to politicians/actors and the metaphor of a love affair to the tower of babel was kinda cool.

I give it a 5/5

My song: Regina Spektor - How
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8H3LbxO44k
That little opening made me think of graduation lol. With that being said, I like her voice. It sounds a bit weird when she does her "Ooo" sound lol. It sort of...made the mood of the "sad" song swerve to a better light. I like the breaks in music, which you don't see often and done well. The lyrics are simple, but I like them.

It's not super depressing as one would expect it to be, yet it still has a solemn feel. Almost feels like a decent transition from high energy music to the crashing/depressive playlist. Though I honestly don't think this song stands out for me personally minus those random tidbits where she forcefully makes it stand out.

6.5/10

Zac Brown - Chicken Fried

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVA9eEPkhvM

WorkingClassHero

Smash Rookie

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What a feel good song haha. I'm not really one to judge this type of music, but to me it's nothing special, but the lyrics can be a bit poignant at times, which I guess is the draw to the song. It really just brings up warm images in your head as it goes through your ears.

3/5

Something Corporate - Konstantine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMwI1DlZpyY

It's a long one.
I am liking the start of the song. Nice and quiet with a sense of continuity. The vocals are decent. Not the type I normally like but good overall. I do like the lyrics and it's a huge help seeing them on the actual video.

I like how the song builds up and then slowly dies out. Quiet vocals which are nice but they seemed to run together. It really didn't "explode" until 8:24 which was nice but I felt it came pretty late.

But overall a decent but long song.

3.5/5

"Of Fire, Wind, and Wisdom" - Eluveitie

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
I am liking the start of the song. Nice and quiet with a sense of continuity. The vocals are decent. Not the type I normally like but good overall. I do like the lyrics and it's a huge help seeing them on the actual video.

I like how the song builds up and then slowly dies out. Quiet vocals which are nice but they seemed to run together. It really didn't "explode" until 8:24 which was nice but I felt it came pretty late.

But overall a decent but long song.

3.5/5

"Of Fire, Wind, and Wisdom" - Eluveitie
Very interesting setup to a metal song. Obvious from the start that the band isn't American. The song is catchy but nothing really stands out.

SebastiAn - Total

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF837DbNeZY

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I like where this is going, but there isn't enough of it, and what is there feels undeveloped. It's a good idea done lazily. 5/10

Infected Mushroom - Nation Of Wusses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufhw8bJnIUg
Bunch of annoying synth noises in the beginning. Makes me think of the 90s in a bad way.

it finally picks up and goes somewhere nice around 1:30. The drop is ok. I love how it gives way to a softer synthline which then builds up to those portamento lines.

then there's another drop, and I'm bored. this would be pretty cool if I was at a show or party but listening to it sitting at a computer, it's not driving me crazy.

2.5/5

Lighthouses "Where I Should Be" http://youtu.be/nSP7zuCVHMM

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Bunch of annoying synth noises in the beginning. Makes me think of the 90s in a bad way.

it finally picks up and goes somewhere nice around 1:30. The drop is ok. I love how it gives way to a softer synthline which then builds up to those portamento lines.

then there's another drop, and I'm bored. this would be pretty cool if I was at a show or party but listening to it sitting at a computer, it's not driving me crazy.

2.5/5

Lighthouses "Where I Should Be" http://youtu.be/nSP7zuCVHMM
The beginning is pretty interesting. It reminds of me of a incoming train. Afterward, the guitars pick up and a nice melancholy feel to it all. The vocals are ok but I am actually enjoying the lyrics and the instruments much more. I think it would work excellent as a instrumental song. I like how the song picks up speed at around 2:1 5. The vocals work much better at this time I think compared to earlier. Overall, a pretty good song.

3/5

Here is my song:

"Chains" - Head Phones President

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Here is my song:

"Chains" - Head Phones President
hmmmm, I like this. I unfortunately couldn't get the idea of it being a Japanese Flyleaf once I read that in a comment. Regardless, this is still way more fun to hear. I like not being able to understand the lyrics for one thing. The Japanese are always interesting.
Anyway, the formula here wasn't uncommon, but it was safe and heavy. I think if there were a male or perfectly comprehensible singer, it would have been less easy on my ears.
I actually wish it had lasted longer.

The Lumineers - Morning Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvau6Or-Llg

Top Bottom