• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rareware Character Possibility?

Would you like to see Rareware characters in Smash Bros.?

• Yes

Votes: 84 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They could take out all of that out but I seriously don't think Nintendo would want to advertise Conker alongside characters like Mario and Pikachu. Nintendo of Europe threw a hissy fit and wouldn't even publish the game, THQ had to do it. Never say never but if you ask me, I seriously don't think Nintendo would have wanted to.
That was over a decade ago, times have changed. Don't you know the only reason we're getting Bayonetta 2 is because of Nintendo? Yeah, Bayonetta.

And again, Snake was alongside everyone in Brawl. As long as a character is toned down, it's fine, it isn't like they're going to throw in the Great Mighty Poo as well.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
That was over a decade ago, times have changed. Don't you know the only reason we're getting Bayonetta 2 is because of Nintendo? Yeah, Bayonetta.

And again, Snake was alongside everyone in Brawl. As long as a character is toned down, it's fine, it isn't like they're going to throw in the Great Mighty Poo as well.
In Snake's defense, at the time the Metal Gear games weren't all that gruesome, though if Playstation All-Stars managed to keep a T rating while still having characters like Kratos and Sweet Tooth playable I don't see why Conker wouldn't fit in Smash, the only real hurdle there is that Conker can't use realistic guns cause Sakurai seems to want to stay as far away from that as possible but I think they could pull it off. Conker could still use his slingshot if he really needs a projectile, he could drop giant bombs like the weasels could in multiplayer, ect.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
In Snake's defense, at the time the Metal Gear games weren't all that gruesome, though if Playstation All-Stars managed to keep a T rating while still having characters like Kratos and Sweet Tooth playable I don't see why Conker wouldn't fit in Smash, the only real hurdle there is that Conker can't use realistic guns cause Sakurai seems to want to stay as far away from that as possible but I think they could pull it off. Conker could still use his slingshot if he really needs a projectile, he could drop giant bombs like the weasels could in multiplayer, ect.
There's no doubt in my mind that Sakurai could make Conker work for Smash Brothers. Like you said, if Superbot made Kratos and Sweet Tooth work in a T rated game, it's not impossible. The only real problem I would see is if Nintendo would let Sakurai do it in this hypothetical world. (the one I wish we were living in ;_; )

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Adding a Rare character would be a poor business move, as cool as it would be. It'd be bringing attention to characters owned by a competing company.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
The reason I stick with Nintendo is because blood, gore, sex, and drugs aren't my cup of tea, so to be honest, I don't want Conker to make an appearance in Smash Bros.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The only real problem I would see is if Nintendo would let Sakurai do it in this hypothetical world. (the one I wish we were living in ;_; )
Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2 as a Wii U exclusive. Bayonetta, the overly sexualized and highly mature game that's way more out there than Conker.

I don't think Nintendo has any problem with "mature" games anymore.

D

Deleted member

It's never going to happen... but I really wish that Banjo would be playable...
I bet that if Banjo was playable in 64 or Melee, Nintendo would have tried to secure that license from being taken away from them.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I bet that if Banjo was playable in 64 or Melee, Nintendo would have tried to secure that license from being taken away from them.
I don't know the full details on the buy out but I don't think it was about Nintendo not being secure enough I think it was just Microsoft who had enough money to buy off the company cause remember, games got cancelled because of that and I don't think Nintendo was willing to have those projects dropped especially since one of them was a Donkey Kong Racing game.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
I don't think they were being unsecure, I think they just couldn't do anything about it. I mean, Microsoft paid $375,000,000 to get Rare!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know the full details on the buy out but I don't think it was about Nintendo not being secure enough I think it was just Microsoft who had enough money to buy off the company cause remember, games got cancelled because of that and I don't think Nintendo was willing to have those projects dropped especially since one of them was a Donkey Kong Racing game.
Of course.
I'm just saying that maybe had Banjo got into Smash prior, they would probably try to secure that particular IP before the buyout occurred. Again, it's a major shame that Banjo and Kazooie can't get in because they absolutely deserve to...

Last edited by a moderator:

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
I just want Microsoft to lend Banjo & Kazooie and Joanna Dark to Nintendo, just once, JUST ONCE, to let them put them in Smash. (If that made sense)

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Of course.
I'm just saying that maybe had Banjo got into Smash prior, they would probably try to secure that particular IP before the buyout occurred. Again, it's a major shame that Banjo and Kazooie can't get in because they absolutely deserve to...
It's funny, Nintendo actually did own Banjo-Kazooie at one point in time. Nintendo only had 49% stock in Rare, while the Stampers had 51%. Rare actually owned the rights to the DK64 Kongs (Lanky, Chunky, Tiny) for some ungodly reason. Nintendo traded Banjo and co. for those characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's funny, Nintendo actually did own Banjo-Kazooie at one point in time. Nintendo only had 49% stock in Rare, while the Stampers had 51%. Rare actually owned the rights to the DK64 Kongs (Lanky, Chunky, Tiny) for some ungodly reason. Nintendo traded Banjo and co. for those characters.
Seriously; that isn't a fair trade. I am surprised Nintendo went for it, you could always just use different adjectives before "Kong" and make similar characters.

D

Deleted member

That's... bizarre.
I guess it would make sense for Nintendo to gain the rights to the N64 Kongs (they are from an IP that Nintendo originated after all). If Nintendo had the rights to those characters prior, I bet that they would have tried to keep the Banjo license at least; they were definitely aware how popular those two games were.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Seriously; that isn't a fair trade. I am surprised Nintendo went for it, you could always just use different adjectives before "Kong" and make similar characters.
I think it makes sense cause ya know, what exactly is Microsoft going to do with Chunky, Lanky and Tiny? Granted Lankey only came back in Barrel Blast and Tiny in Diddy Kong Racing DS and Chunky is nowhere to be seen but ya know, DK64's instruction manual does confirm that the three kongs have some kind of relation with Dixie and Kiddie so it'd be really surreal if Dixie can't be in the same game as her cousin Tiny anymore simply because Tiny is owned by a competing company ya know?

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's a pretty odd trade. I can see why Nintendo did it though. I don't think Nintendo would want Rare to use characters that were associated with Donkey Kong for an Xbox title. As an example, Rare could have taken the gameplay of DK64 and just put those three in and have it on the Xbox and it would have been perfectly legal.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think it makes sense cause ya know, what exactly is Microsoft going to do with Chunky, Lanky and Tiny? Granted Lankey only came back in Barrel Blast and Tiny in Diddy Kong Racing DS and Chunky is nowhere to be seen but ya know, DK64's instruction manual does confirm that the three kongs have some kind of relation with Dixie and Kiddie so it'd be really surreal if Dixie can't be in the same game as her cousin Tiny anymore simply because Tiny is owned by a competing company ya know?
It makes sense; I just don't think it was an ideal trade.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think it makes sense for Banjo to even be associated with Rare anymore. Just sell that IP over to Nintendo.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
Warning Received
This is basically a geno thread :skull:

pls.
How? Geno is not in any way associated with RareWare.

I'd rather they sell it to Retro Studios personally.
I hate to say it, but I don't think Microsoft should sell any RareWare IPs. I think Microsoft should stop being a bag of feces, and put them in Smash Bros. It'll never happen, I know, but it would still be cool. I believe Microsoft could do some cool things with RareWare IPs. All they have to do is make Banjo Threeie and Conker's Other Bad Day and maybe another Perfect Dark game for the Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm sorry, I just don't see it happening. Sure I would love to see Banjo and Kazooie playable, but if Nintendo's buying up another company, I don't think it would be Rare. And I do NOT want Conker the Squirrel to ever be playable. If Conker ever becomes playable, I'm not buying. (PLEASE don't ask me why I don't like Conker)

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
I'm sorry, I just don't see it happening. Sure I would love to see Banjo and Kazooie playable, but if Nintendo's buying up another company, I don't think it would be Rare. And I do NOT want Conker the Squirrel to ever be playable. If Conker ever becomes playable, I'm not buying. (PLEASE don't ask me why I don't like Conker)
I don't like Conker either.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
To be honest, I was still stunned when the news surfaced that Microsoft had acquired the rights of Rare from Nintendo. It was a real shame really because I was sort of hoping for a new Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct as well as Kameo Element of Power on the GameCube.

But like I had already stated, I would've liked to have Banjo & Kazooie to be in Smash Bros out of all the other Rare characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, I was still stunned when the news surfaced that Microsoft had acquired the rights of Rare from Nintendo. It was a real shame really because I was sort of hoping for a new Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct as well as Kameo Element of Power on the GameCube.

But like I had already stated, I would've liked to have Banjo & Kazooie to be in Smash Bros out of all the other Rare characters.
they would of been most likely i would of thought

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You'd boycott smash because one obscure, easy-to-ignore character got in?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You'd boycott smash because one obscure, easy-to-ignore character got in?
It really depends on the character. Solid Snake I could deal with, because he's not so foul-mouthed. (Not in Smash at least) Shadow I can also tolerate because he doesn't necessarily have to use guns. (Shadow isn't likely until Nintendo buys SEGA, which can be done) but Conker has bathroom references in his game, I don't think I can handle that in Smash. We have CHILDREN playing smash, so Conker can stay away from smash bros for always and eternity

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Meh, I mean they could tone him down and perhaps have him as a wisecracking guy. He actually cursed least throughout the whole game (3 if you count the xbox remake and 2 in the original) and it was so far apart that its always a surprise to hear it from him; its all those other characters that are responsible for the foul language.

I'm not too fond of him to begin with though--BK is the frontrunner of Rare characters and I'm mostly interested in how Sakurai would pull off an unusual moveset for Conker.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
Meh, I mean they could tone him down and perhaps have him as a wisecracking guy. He actually cursed least throughout the whole game (3 if you count the xbox remake and 2 in the original) and it was so far apart that its always a surprise to hear it from him; its all those other characters that are responsible for the foul language.

I'm not too fond of him to begin with though--BK is the frontrunner of Rare characters and I'm mostly interested in how Sakurai would pull off an unusual moveset for Conker.
Conker could have his frying pan.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
What would Banjo & Kazooie's final smash be? It would be cool the see some Nuts & Bolts car designs (even though that game was awful). But I wouldn't want to see the Nuts & Bolts character model, though. Oh well. :(

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What would Banjo & Kazooie's final smash be? It would be cool the see some Nuts & Bolts car designs (even though that game was awful). But I wouldn't want to see the Nuts & Bolts character model, though. Oh well. :(
personally id like them to turn into the giant t-rex from banjo tooie

Ragna22

Smash Ace
For the record, as much I loved Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, i will admit that I did like Nuts and Bolts, though at the same time I do agree that it shouldn't have been the game to return to the series on, it'd be like if Kojima stopped making MGS games for a decade and the game he makes to finally come back with it was an MGS puzzle game.

Back on topic, I feel like Banjo's final smash should either be the golden machine gun-like eggs from Tooie that lasted a few seconds, Kazooie turning into Dragon Kazooie for a few second not only buffing her and Banjo's attacks but they'll all deal fire damage as well, or a call back to the final boss of Banjo Kazooie by having Banjo summon a bunch of Jinjos to fly at opponents, it'd be like Pit's final smash in Brawl except the Jinjos would target and attack opponents way faster than Palutena's troops.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Sup. It's me, the guy who hogged this name when I made my account back in 2002. Back then when Banjo-Kazooie was a very likely option for Smash.

As for now, I still have my crazy dream where Nintendo buys back Banjo-Kazooie and gives it to Retro Studios to create a new game with it. And putting him in Smash Bros. WiiU/3DS to promote it. In the end, it sounds too crazy to happen, but who knows...

Right now I´m just happy that we are getting a game with Mario, Sonic and Megaman together. How awesome is that!.

ChocolatePancake

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChocolateWaffles
3DS FC
0920-1214-6221
I take that back. The gameplay isn't bad, it's the fact that it's a Banjo-Kazooie game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom