• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rank the Newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
1. :4megaman:
He's absolutely perfect. A popular choice implemented in a a way that perfectly represents his games, makes him stand out, and just screams "FANSERVICE" is fine in my book.
2. :4littlemac:
People have been turned off of him since seeing how bad he can be in the wrong situations, but I still can't wait to try this guy, who I think looks exhilarating.
3. :4villager:
I wanted an Animal Crossing character with a moveset very similar to his before his inclusion, and seeing it in action is awesome. Although he's not my favorite addition, I think he's the most likely to be my main.
4. :4pacman:
I wanted him for Brawl, and I love him now that he's finally here! Still, I just don't have the attachment that I do the ones ranked above him.
5. :4robinm:
I like his design, and I like how he brings something new to the role of a swordsman. I can't wait to have him duel the other ones.
6. :rosalina:
I like how she's turned out, but I'm still a tad afraid that she'll be a bit too complex of a character.
7. :4palutena:
Although I'm a big Kid Icarus fan and Palutena is a character I like, I do think her execution could have been a whole lot better. Also, she has too many moves.
8. :4greninja:
He's a pretty good ninja because I keep forgetting he's a newcomer. I do like him when I realize he's there, though.
9. :4mii:
I do like the way they turned out, and I want to try them. Still, I hate that they jogged an extremely disproportionate amount of development time.
10.:4wiifit:
I'll use her when messing around with some friends and sandbagging, but I'll never give her a serious shot because I still can't take her seriously.
11.:4lucina:
I don't like clones, and she's possibly the closest clone we've ever had. No thank you.

How is this any different from the Rate Their Chances thread? We did rate newcomer satisfaction there too.
We only do that once every two months on that thread, and even then it differs in that we use percentages instead of flat-out rankings. I think it's good that there's a dedicated thread for this outside of our special days.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've already done a rating before so I'll shake it up a bit and put them into tiers.

The "Huzzah!" tier
1. Robin
2. Villager

The "Neato." tier
3. Little Mac
4. Megaman
5. Palutena
6. Wii Fit Trainer

The "Eh....ok." tier
7. Lucina
8. Pacman

The "Meh" tier
9. Greninja
10. Rosalina & Luma
11. Mii Fighter

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
1. :4lucina:
2. :4villager:
3.:4robinf:
4.:rosalina:
5.:4mii:
6.:4littlemac:
7.:4greninja:
8.:4megaman:
9.:4pacman:
10.:4palutena:
11.:4wiifit:

That was kind of tough, and my opinions have changed over time. I've warmed up to Rosalina a lot since she was first revealed.

(Why is there no female Villager emoticon?)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
(Why is there no female Villager emoticon?)
Been wondering that. Maybe they aren't sure which one to use (or have a good source to pull from, since they aren't on the website.)

We'll definitely need one for HeFitTrainer though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is a thing?

1. :4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina: 10/10 stocks. I don't care how cloney she is, I finally have Lucina! Nothing is more awesome than this.

2.:4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman::4megaman: 8/10 stocks. He is so much hype, but points off do to not being my playstyle.

3.:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:8/10 stocks. She seems so much fun to use, and I love Rosalina so much so I am very satisfied.

4. :4robinf::4robinf::4robinf::4robinf::4robinf::4robinf::4robinf::4robinf:8/10 stocks. A moveset that's unique, and faithful to FE, also, female alts = GIRL POWER! :)

5.:4pacman::4pacman::4pacman::4pacman::4pacman::4pacman:6/10 stocks. Pac-Man looks fun, and his trailer (and the live reaction) is one of the most hyping moments of e3 2014.

6. :4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac:6/10 stocks. He looks fun and comes from a deserving series, but I am worried he might end up lacking.

7. :4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit: 5/10 stocks. I think she's deserving and a hilarious WTF character, but I have no attachment, obviously.

8. :4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja::4greninja: 5/10 stocks. I admit, Greninja looks cool. But that Mewtwo psyche out was uncool, and plus, he seems extremely ovrpowered in the e3 demo. Hopefully that changes.

9. :4villager::4villager::4villager::4villager: 4/10 stocks. His moveset looks really quirky and fun. Unfortunately, I'm not too interested in Animal Crossing anyway.

10.:4palutena::4palutena::4palutena:3/10 stocks. I have no personal attachment, and while the anime trailer looked cool, Palutena was the worst thing about it; there was no suspense, she looks overpowered, and she gets some sort of special treatment with her custom moves, with all comes off as huge Sakurai bias.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
11. (Mii Fighters) 0/10 stocks. Not, not two, but three bland, generic movesets ripped off from pre-existing characters, and the Miis weren't even implemented online. Yuck.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
1:rosalina:
2:4robinm:/:4robinf:
3:4palutena:
4:4villager:
5:4wiifit:
6:4greninja:
7:4littlemac:
8:4pacman:
9:4megaman:
10:4lucina: and :4mii: tie for the worst newcomers, I can't decide which one sucks more.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
  1. :rosalina:
  2. :4robinm::4robinf:
  3. :4palutena:
  4. :4wiifit:
  5. :4greninja:
  6. :4lucina:
  7. :4mii:
  8. :4littlemac:
  9. :4megaman:
  10. :4villager:
  11. :4pacman:
Haters gonna hate.

Can't stand and don't understand the hype for the bottom 3. Lucina is only up there because I secondary Marth in every other game, although she's just a weaker version of what's already turning out to be a weaker Marth...

This is more of an ordering of who I would consider trying to main. Basically everyone under Greninja isn't much of a consideration lol, whether it's due to viability or anti-hypewagon hipster instincts

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm only going to rate characters based on what I've seen so far and this will change once I get the game:

1. Villager - 6.5/10
2. Megaman - 8/10
3. Wii Fit Trainer - 7.5/10
4. Rosalina - 7/10
5. Little Mac - 9/10
6. Greninja - 9/10
7. Palutena - 8/10
8. Pac-Man - 7/10
9. Mii Fighters - 6/10
10. Robin - 9/10
11. Lucina - 7.5/10

Last edited:
1.:4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman: A tie! These were the three newcomers on my wishlist since the beginning. I hope more come!
4.:4mii: I've already made several, comically accurate Miis of my friends, family and coworkers, ready to duke it out.
5.:4pacman: I can't tell you how relieved I am that they used this cute design.
6.:4villager: He's this game's flagship character to me, just like Meta Knight was to Brawl.
7.:4wiifit: She's all white with me.
8.:4greninja: Froakie was my starter in Pokémon Y, so I'll pretend that this Greninja is my Greninja. I like its voice, too.
9.:rosalina: A little boring, but maybe her gameplay will be solid enough to change my mind.
10.:4robinm::4robinf::4palutena: I'm trying to care!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Been wondering that. Maybe they aren't sure which one to use (or have a good source to pull from, since they aren't on the website.)

We'll definitely need one for HeFitTrainer though.
Yeah, it's because neither Fillager or He Fit Trainer have official renders since the alternate genders were announced after their initial reveal. I'm sure we'll get it once we get to rip the stock icons from the game itself.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
1.:4palutena:
2.:4greninja:
3.:4littlemac:
4.:4robinm::4robinf:
5.:rosalina:
6.:4villager:
7.:4wiifit:
8.:4megaman:
9.:4pacman:
10.:4lucina:
(long gap)
11.:4mii:

I'd just like to add that the bottom two are the only ones I actively dislike, everyone else I'm pretty excited for (some more than others). Lucina would be higher if they had given her the fighting style she used in Awakening. Mii Fighters, however, are beyond redemption.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I'm really happy with all the newcomer, Mii's included, so the one that are at the bottom don't mean I don't like them, I just like the other ones more :)

1. :4littlemac:- I've wanted him for a while, and when he actually made it I was really happy. And his KO punch isn't overpowered, I've seen videos where he uses it and, if the rival doesn't have a high percentage, they don't get KO'd. His recovery doesn't seem THAT bad too.

2. :4robinm::4robinf: - I don't play FE, but their moveset looks unique and fun, mixing magic with swords. I'll definitely try them!

3. :4pacman: - Another character I wanted, and I love his design. Not quite sure how his moveset really works, but he seems fun.
4. :4megaman: - Not very attached to Megaman, but I sure know he deserved to be here, and with Sonic, Pacman and Mario, this seems like a dream come true. His moveset also seems creative, from different enemies of different games.
5. :4greninja:I like playing as Sheik, so a new ninja like fighter is going to be fun! He is fast and his toy :substitute: is awesome! (Although having your tongue around your neck all the time seems kinda... odd. Doesn't it get dry? Oh right he is a water pokemon haha)
6. :rosalina: - I loved Mario Galaxy, and the Lumas are very cute. Her moveset with the Lumas doesn't seem very easy to use, requires practice. I'll hopefuly learn to play with her, as I love characters with "helpers" like Olimar and the Ice climbers.
7. :4wiifit: - Wasn't expecting her at all, but I was never angry at her being here (I don't believe in "X deserved it more!"), she seems like a fun, original character. Can't wait to try her (and the other newcomers).

8. :4villager: - Never played his games, but they seem like my type of games so I'll play one when I get the chance! Not really sure how he is this low on the list, I really like him but I guess I like the others more... Anyways, he looks great and has a very diverse moveset.

9. :4palutena: - Didn't expect her in the game, I thought Pit was enough for Kid Icarus but I guess I was wrong haha. Well she seems kinda fun to use, I just have to look at her moveset (which is costumizable!) more.
10. :4mii: - Was expecting them, but not like this. I mean I thought they would have a moveset from Mii games (sports, music, etc) but they ended up being the "make your own character" character... which is ok (Guess that's why they have the Smash simbol as their logo), now people can play as themselves or a character no in the game. I don't like the fact that you can't play online with them, but I understand.
11. :4lucina: - A Marth clone, and I don't really play as Marth, but, like all newcomers, I'll give her a try.

Last edited:

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
1.:4robinm::4robinf:: love they way they fight, plus FE:A is one of my favorite games.

2.:4megaman:: A great 3rd party choice. Unique move set and an all around good character.

3:4greninja:: An excellent gen 6 pick! Greninja is a popular starter in X and Y and he just fits perfectly in Smash.

4.:4palutena:: I saw this coming a mile away. Although predictable, her entrance and moveset stay true to KE:U

5.:4littlemac:: Something I thought I would never see in a Smash Brothers game: a regular fighter

6.:4mii:: Unlike other people, I do like the inclusion of Miis...To an extent. Having three of them that take up 3 slots is the most asinine design I've ever seen.

7.:rosalina:: (meh)

8.:4villager:: I have no experience with any Animal crossing game, so his appearance doesn't impact me in the slightest.

9.:4wiifit:: I could really care less for her inclusion.

10.:4pacman:: There are so many other Namco characters that would be a far better choice than this generic character.

11. :4lucina:: Now we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Not only is she the cloniest clone since Doctor Mario, but she also eliminated the chances of my #1 favorite veteran to return (Roy). She really should've been a alt costume instead of being a dead weight to the roster.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
1. :4greninja:
2.:4robinm::4robinf:
3.:4megaman:
4. :4littlemac:
5.:4lucina:
6. :rosalina:
7. :4villager:
8. :4pacman:
9. :4mii:
10. :4palutena:
11. :4wiifit:

Now don't get me wrong, I like all of the newcomers but there are some that I am hyped about and then there's some where I'm just eh

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I still don't understand why people just hate on Lucina, because she's a clone? That's rather low, so does that mean you also hate Falco, Dr. Mario, Lucas, etc.? We don't even know if she has ALL of the same moves or not, since the trailer only showed, what, 5 moves?
11. :4lucina:: Now we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Not only is she the cloniest clone since Doctor Mario, but she also eliminated the chances of my #1 favorite veteran to return (Roy). She really should've been a alt costume instead of being a dead weight to the roster.
Roy is outdated and has no relevance, at least Lucina DOES. Plus, everyone is acting like she wasted a slot, more like she's an extra slot added to the original roster. People need to stop the worthless hate wars, you're still going to get the game anyways and probably play as that character, why not save judgement for when you actually PLAY the game for yourself. -.-

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
  1. :4littlemac:- Favorite Video Game Character and I wanted him in Super Smash Brothers since I was little.
  2. :4megaman: - He should have been in the series since Melee, just like Little Mac.
  3. :4villager: - Another Video Game Character that I love. I love the Animal Crossing Series.
  4. :4palutena: - I loved her in the game she was in and I love the way her moveset looks. Her design is awesome as well.
  5. :4lucina: - I have always loved Marth's moveset, but hated the "Tip of the Blade" Mechanic, so she is perfect for me.
  6. :4robinm:/:4robinf: - I love the series that they come from and they look simply bad *** in their cloaks. Plus their movesets look wickedly fun.
  7. :4mii: - The Mii Fighters moveset is awesome and I love being able to put a character over their movesets.
  8. :rosalina: - I love her design, but never played the game she was in, I may change that some day.
  9. :4greninja: - I like the way his moveset looks and his design, but I will not main him since he moveset is not my style.
  10. :4pacman: - I am sort of indifferent about him being in and I don't like his moveset.
  11. :4wiifit: - I was surprised, but not pleasantly. She may look fun to play, but she is not my style.

Edit: Wait a minute I already rated, I guess this could be a secondary look on how my opinions have changed I guess. Never mind, I realized that I did not put Greninja in my last post so this will be my official ratings for the newcomers.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Wow, so much hate for the female Newcomers. Geez if you're gonna be asking for more females, don't be ****ting on the ones you get.

1.:4robinm::4robinf: (Surprisingly higher than Rosalina. Maybe it was a number of circumstances like the addition of more Fire Emblem characters, the death of the Gematsu leak, and just how unique this character is, but Robin's trailer is by far my favorite one and I can't wait to try him/her out. I wasn't a believer of Robin but its great to see that they've proven me wrong.)
2.:rosalina: (Probably my favorite Mario character and a nice surprise since I didn't expect her. Plus the puppeteer thing is pretty unique)
3. :4palutena: (Uprising was great and I've been recently playing the NES original. It's great to see a retro series make a comeback. Still waiting on that Ice Climbers reboot...)
4. :4lucina: (Haters gonna hate. While she isn't Anna, Lucina was my second most wanted Fire Emblem character. I was right that she was gonna be similar to Marth so I'm not even mad.)
5. :4wiifit: (Maybe it's just cuz I'm one of the 5 people here who's actually played Wii Fit, but this character is hilariously awesome and I'm glad they included her.)
6. :4greninja: (Haven't played X or Y yet but it's great to see ordinary starter Pokemon get in the roster. Also :substitute:)
7.:4megaman: (This guy is pure fanservice and I love it!)
8.:4pacman: (I was against him but the trailer completely changed my mind. Glad they didn't go with the Ghostly Adventures design. Also it's cool to see that Miyamoto request him as well.)
9.:4littlemac:(It's good to have a some series being newly represented and upgrading from Assist Trophy status is pretty cool too.)
10.:4villager: (Seems pretty meh to me. His moveset is cool but I'm not too excited for this guy.)

NA: :4mii: (I don't count these as characters. At least they're not based on Wii Sports or anything but whatever)

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I still don't understand why people just hate on Lucina, because she's a clone? That's rather low, so does that mean you also hate Falco, Dr. Mario, Lucas, etc.? We don't even know if she has ALL of the same moves or not, since the trailer only showed, what, 5 moves?

Roy is outdated and has no relevance, at least Lucina DOES. Plus, everyone is acting like she wasted a slot, more like she's an extra slot added to the original roster. People need to stop the worthless hate wars, you're still going to get the game anyways and probably play as that character, why not save judgement for when you actually PLAY the game for yourself. -.-
The topic has tasked us with ranking the newcomers, and that is what we have done.
If Lucina is somebody's least favourite newcomer, they will rank her accordingly - so be it. It's not stopping you from liking her! :)

To my knowledge, this topic is not about debating whether characters are 'relevant' or 'deserving' (as that can likely be done in the characters' respective topics) - rather, it is a place for people to share their opinions. FalconOwnage can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wow, so much hate for the female Newcomers. Geez if you're gonna be asking for more females, don't be ****ting on the ones you get.
Fairly certain it isn't because they're females they're rather unpopular. Palutena doesn't have as interesting a moveset as other newcomers, Lucina is a clone so she's not as new and exciting to some, and Wii Fit Trainer is too obscure for many, people have their reasons. Rosalina is decently popular anyways, so there's still that, but the ones that dislike her is mainly because she's incredibly gimmicky, some of us prefer simple movesets. I doubt many people here choose their favorite/least favorite newcomers based on genders (although looking at your list I just noticed all of your top picks are females) and there are of course downsides to the male newcomers too, when people pick up the games it'll always come down to how the characters themselves play anyways, which is what's important at the end of the day.
Now of course you're entitled to your opinion and everything, but it's a bit hypocritical complaining about a clone when your #1 veteran is exactly just that. Outside of the fire visual effects Roy isn't really any less cloney.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Assuming that all of the posts you have read that led to your conclusion were even from the crowd that was clamoring for 'moar femalez'.

The funny thing is that I very much consider myself a feminist, but I have never been among that crowd. I ask for female representation where it is a necessity, and just flat out wrong to not do so (avatar characters). Nintendo's lack of female representation can't be fixed by SSB. I'd much rather it be fixed elsewhere and eventually mixed into SSB afterward.

With that said, obviously the two female newcomers I put at the bottom are not there because they are female. They are there because I don't feel that Kid Icarus deserved a second character yet. It could have been Dark Pit, it could have been Hades, I don't care (and if Dark Pit ends up being a reality, he will be at the very bottom of the list, let me tell you). Any of them would have ended up in that spot. As for Wii Fit Trainer, I just am not excited for the character.

I could go off on a rant about what I think about the real motives (for most) behind wanting "moar femalez", but it would be even more off-topic.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
1.:4lucina::4robinm::4robinf:
Lucina was my most wanted newcomer, and Robin was my second most wanted. Both are also my favorite Awakening characters (including Nah.) They look great in this game, model-wise and moveset-wise. Lucina's really cute, F-Robin's really cute, and M-Robin looks badass. I also really like Marth's playstyle, so Lucina is a perfect fit.

2.:4palutena:
Interesting character and moveset. She looks pretty and looks fun to play.

3.:4pacman:
Didn't really care for at first, but he actually looks really fun to play. Unique and interesting moveset. I really like how he looks too.

4.:4villager:
Read Pac Man.

5.:4greninja:
Although I didn't use Greninja as a starter (I wanted to be special since everybody picked him :p), I always thought he had the coolest design out of all three of them. Looks fun to play.

6.:4megaman:
A cool robot dude. I like robots.

7.:rosalina:
She looks pretty. Character/moveset seems unique/interesting.

8.:4wiifit:
Don't really understand all the hate for this character. She's kinda like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. The character that no one really expects. The character that no one expects usually has a really cool moveset though.

9.:4mii:
Mii Gunner actually looks pretty darn cool. Can't wait to use my Mii.

10.:4littlemac:
A green boxing dude. I like punching and the color green (my favorite color actually.) Also has a really cool hairdo. Looks interesting.

All in all, I really like all the newcomers so far. It's just that I personally like some more than others.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
*My opinions are based solely on gameplay, not how much I like a certain character. Miis are the exception to this rule.

Characters that I am very excited for and will try to main:
:rosalina:: The concept of a puppet character in the Smash genre is incredibly appealing to me. I am definitely worried that the player will not have enough control over the Luma, but even if Rosalina ends up being the worst character in the game, I will probably still main her.
:4greninja:: Ninja frog has a falco-esque jump and runs super fast. WHAT. Also, a fantastic projectile, a sexy d-air, teleportation, water-swords that take stocks, and a tongue-scarf.
:4megaman:: I love projectiles, and this ************ has like 30.

Characters that I am excited about, but not sure if I'll main:
:4palutena:: I've somewhat arbitrarily placed Palutena as my #4 because I don't have a good understanding of how she plays. We've only seen a couple of her non-specials and we don't even know which specials are her defaults. From her reveal trailer, it seems like she might be fun, and I'm optimistic that her moveset will synergize well, despite having 12 unique specials. Plus, she has green hair.
:4robinf:: Robin looks badass and fun to play, and I will definitely give Robin a shot. The durability system does seem questionable since it means that the player will have to rely on only their Levin Sword or only their tomes while the other is recharging (and if both are recharging at the same time, then all Robin has is a flimsy bronze sword). Also, I would just like to point out that Robin can change to any class, so why the hell did Smash 4 Robin never spend time in the Mercenary class and learn Armshrift in order to preserve the invaluable Nosferatu? Silly Sakurai.
:4wiifit:: I like everything that I've seen of the Wii Fit Trainer, but nothing has really piqued my interested too much since I'm generally more intrigued by the non-standard newcomers. My only concern with this character comes from her deep breathing ability; with the hitstun as it is now, deep breathing seems useless except in edgeguarding (or doubles, I suppose).

Characters that seem fun, but I probably won't main:
:4littlemac:: Seems super fun, but after seeing Little Mac play and how useless he is once he leaves the ground (as well as seeing the game's aerial landing lag and limited movement options), I can't see myself dedicating myself to maining Mac.
:4lucina:: Although she is a clone, she is a Marth clone, which means that she'll be fun to use.
:4villager:: Villager's moveset seems a bit whatever to me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Characters that I am not interested in:
:4mii:: In this instance, I don't care about their how they play because I don't want to play as a Mii in Smash.
:4pacman:: I'm not a fan of Pac-Man. His moveset seems awkward, and none of it appeals to me.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
1: :4littlemac: - He was my 3rd most wanted newcomer going into this SSB. I'm so glad he's playable at long last.

2: :4wiifit: - She was an unexpected addition, but when thinking about it, one of the most logical inclusions of all.

3: :4robinm::4robinf: - I like their move-set, they come across as a very interesting fighter.

4: :4villager: - Animal Crossing deserved playable representation and while I'd have preferred Tom Nook, Villager does well enough and has a fun, unique move-set.

5: :4palutena: - I'd have preferred Medusa, but will admit that Palutena deserved a spot.

6: :4greninja: - He seems a lot more interesting move-set wise than I initially though. Not one I'm a huge fan of, but nothing against, and he does look fun to play as.

7: :4pacman: - I'm neutral on 3rd party inclusions, but will say that as 3rd party guests go, Pac-Man is a deserving one and represents Namco well.

8: :4megaman: - Same deal with Pac-Man, though rated slightly lower because of Pac-Man having that awesome Namco referencing taunt.

9: :4lucina: - I should be angry at a clone inclusion but I feel little negativity towards her. She's an extra that took little development time so I have no issue with her.

10: :rosalina: - I don't feel a 5th Mario rep was necessary and also felt other Mario reps were more deserving. She does have a unique move-set though, that's good.

11: :4mii: - Apparently can't be used online, and don't do a good job of representing their respective series and game inclusions.

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
RESULTS
Top Three:
1. :4robinm:Robin (3.4 average ranking)
2. :4villager:Villager (5)
3.:4littlemac:Little Mac (5.14)

Upper Group:
4.:4megaman:Mega Man (5.4)
5.:4greninja:Greninja (5.46)
6.:rosalina:Rosalina (5.68)

Lower Group:
7.:4palutena:Palutena (6.18)
8.:4pacman:Pac-Man (6.84)
9.:4lucina:Lucina (6.88)

Mostly Garbage:
10.:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer (7.4)
11.:4mii:Mii (8.62)

[data obtained using all 50 valid posts so far; a simple average ranking was used]

(OP also updated with same results)

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
  1. :4robinm::4robinf: (Robin has an amazing moveset and is a very interesting character to have in Smash)
  2. :4littlemac: (He should have been playable in Brawl. I do like his simple boxing moveset and the fact that he technically is already a fighting game character.)
  3. :4megaman: (Megaman is a classic that deserves to be in Smash and his moveset also looks very interesting.)
  4. :4villager: (Not an Animal Crossing person, but his moveset looks quirky and interesting.)
  5. :4pacman: (He should be much lower, but I am intrigued by his moveset. I'm still mad at him for taking Lloyd's spot!!!!)
  6. :4palutena: (Never actually did want her in, but I didn't mind when she made it in.)
  7. :4mii: (Hey, you get to play as actual people and other stuff. Have fun, it's supposed to be for laughs. I don't understand the criticism here.)
  8. :rosalina: (Don't care about her at all and other characters deserve to get in before her *coughBowserJr.cough*. She would have been lower if it wasn't for her moveset.)
  9. :4greninja: (Again, I don't care about him being in here. I was meh about it. I mean sure he seems cool, but still I feel like that was kind of random to put him here.)
  10. :4wiifit: (Bland character with a quirky moveset. Honestly, she was good at first, but she gradually became more uninteresting.)
  11. :4lucina: (Oooo.... I absolutely f***ing abhor this character being in Smash. I don't care if she was good in Awakening or if she saved the whole future, she is the worst addition to Smash Bros. since Pichu and Dr. Mario. She is cloney as hell, but that's not my problem. I don't care for Chrom or Roy since they would also be the same. Seriously Lyn should have been playable, but NOO Sakurai assist trophied her into oblivion. Hell, Micaiah or even Tiki or Anna would have been WAYYY better female reps that freaking Lucina.)

InfiniteNumbers

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteNumbers
3DS FC
1693-2938-8132
1.:4greninja: Wasn't expecting him at all, but when he was revealed I got super hyped and after getting to play him at Smash Fest he feels like he'll be a super fun character.
2.:4robinm:/:4robinf: I've never played any Fire Emblem games, but I've always wanted a sword wielder who uses magic in a Smash game and Robin fits that perfectly.
3. :4villager: Ever since Smashville was in Brawl, but no playable Villager, I always felt disappointed. I'm very glad however to see him in the game and is another very fun character to play from my experience.
4. :4pacman: Just really happy to see Pac-Man in a Smash game despite not being a huge fan and I love the model they went with. He seems to fit perfectly.
5.:4mii: While I question the way they went about Mii's I like that I can make anything I want a character with their inclusion. I already have some fun plans to make some characters just for Smash with their own story.
6. :rosalina: Rosalina seems like a very interesting character with her play style and ever since her reveal I've been convinced she's secret op.
7.:4littlemac: Wasn't really hype for him, but he's grown on me more and more since his reveal.
8. :4megaman: I'm not a Megaman fan and have no attachment to him at all so I don't care much about him being in the game though I will say, the music he's bringing with him is pretty damn good.
9. :4wiifit: It didn't surprise me that they included this character, but I'm not really looking forward to playing this character.
10. :4palutena: Pretty much the same story as Wii Fit Trainer.
11. :4lucina: I simply see no reason to play this character while Marth is in the game. Nothing really against her, just don't have a reason to use her at all.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
My ranking

1.:4robinm:-so excited to play as him my favorite character from Fire Emblem
2.:4littlemac:-love Super Punch Out and I wanted Little Mac since Brawl.
3.:4greninja:-really excited to play as my main Pokemon from X and Y.
4.:4megaman:-my favorite 3rd party Smash character, I just hope I will like his fighting style.
5. :4pacman:-brings a crazy moveset and completes the retro foursome.
6.:4palutena:-looks very strong hopefully not OP.
7.:rosalina:-looks hard to use but can't wait to try.
8. :4wiifit:-crazy character that looks to be pretty good.
9. :4mii:-so many different combination I can't wait to try.
10.:4villager:-I don't like Animal Crossing but brings a unique moveset.
11.:4lucina:-Now don't get me wrong I love Lucina the only reason i put her at the bottom is because she is clone, but I'm glad she is in the game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
(Note, I'm speaking to them "No Moveset" detractors in 2, so don't take this as offensive.)
1-:4mii:
I think I'm the only person on Earth who wanted the Miis in with a burning passion nowadays. I love the way they turned out, especially with the Classes n' stuff.
Just gonna quickfire the rest, since I don't have much to say, other then 2.
2-:4pacman:
YOU ALL SAID PAC-MAN WOULD'NT BE IN.
YOU ALL SAID HIS PAC-MAN WORLD 2 DESIGN WOULD BE STUPID.
WELL, I TOLD YOU SO, BEE-ATCHES!
...Ok, NOW for quickfire.
3-:4megaman:
4-:4greninja:
5-:4villager:
6-:4robinm:
7-:4littlemac:
8-:4wiifit:
9-:rosalina:
10-:4lucina:
11-:4palutena:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's really quite fascinating to see Robin ranked so high on so many lists.

I still remember the days when people said Robin was "overrated."

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Gameplay reasons only are my reasoning.

I say this because the characters are meant to be played, not merely looked at on the character select screen.

Also, I'm doing two lists: one tier list for the 6 characters playable at the Best Buy/E3/SDCC/Japanese whatever demos, one tier list for the 7 characters not at said demos.

===

Demo tier list:
God Tier:
:4megaman: - Was fun to play as him. He felt insanely different and controlled EXACTLY LIKE MEGA MAN IN THE CLASSIC NES MEGA MAN GAMES!!!

Legends Tier:
:4littlemac: - I wish I played him. #TeamLittleMac
:4greninja: - The Ninja we all never knew we wanted. I wish I play as him at the demo though...
:4wiifit: - I played as her and never truly understood her. She is quite unique and very untapped. I can't help but be drawn to her potential.

Greatness Tier:
:rosalina: - Insanely unique with amazing potential. I grow to like her the more I see.
:4villager: - Didn't like watching him at first but I grew to like him more. There's a few rough patches I see, but I imagine that a few of them have been/are being ironed out.

===

Non-Demo Tier List (note: this one is basically a BETA tier list. Don't take it too personally.)
GOD'S LIST OF ENTITIES HE WORSHIPS TIER:
:4lucina: - What Marth wishes he still was. NEW WAIFU GUYS!!! SHE'S WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED IN A MARTH CLONE!!!

I am co-co-maining :4lucina: with :4tlink: (my Brawl main) and :4fox: (my Melee main) Day 1, and maybe some other characters as well!!!

SO EXCITED FOR HER!!!

Legends Tier:
:4pacman: - Literally everything I hoped he would be! THANK YOU BASED SMASH DEVELOPERS!!!
:4mii: (Gunner) - Like a Contra character in Smash with some NEW sweet technology. CAN'T WAIT!!!
:4mii: (Brawler) - I love the awesome punches and movement the Brawler looks to have. Reminds me of old school beat 'em up's a bit.

Greatness Tier:
:4robinm::4robinf: - Not really my scene with the spells and whatnot, but that doesn't make it not a fantastic newcomer I am happy to see.
:4mii: (Swordwielder) - Like the Soul Calibur create-a-character sword using characters. Looks cool so far!!!
:4palutena: - I am growing to like her the more we are seeing of her. I wish we saw more of her aerials though.

Edit: BTW, I like all the newcomer, so please don't say I called anyone "garbage".

I'd give everyone in every tier but The Mii Swordwielder and Palutena a 10/10, while I'd give the Mii Swordwielder and Palutena a 9/10.

Edit 2: Basically I don't understand all the extreme hate for every newcomer, lol.

They all look pretty cool/fun/interesting to play as or against to me. That's all that really matters in the end.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Ranked from highest to lowest:

:4lucina: I did not think that she would be in the game as a character. I'm really excited that she is! Despite being a clone of the Hero-King, I still can't wait to main the hell out of her.

:4robinf: I wanted Chrom, but at the same time, I also felt as though someone else would be the better candidate. (The thought of Chrom as a PC did not excite me, unfortunately) Seeing Robin as a new playable is amazing, and I love the 'spellsword' style of play they will be utilizing for her/him.

:4megaman: I love me some Rock. During the initial reveal, I literally lost myself in the hype. I've always hoped for MM to be in Smash and now he is! He seems somewhat tricky to play (with a whole lot of moves being projectiles, from what I've seen), but I can't wait to use the Blue Bomber.

:4palutena: She made me buy her game

:4littlemac: I haven't played any Punch-Out! game aside from the original NES one, but I can say that he looks very fun (and powerful) to play as.

:rosalina: I like Rosy, her puppeteer fighting style seems interesting. Again, I can't wait to try her and the others else out.

:4greninja: Greninja was my favorite 6th Gen final evo starter dat water/dark although, I wasn't too excited for it, but after watching gameplay of Greninja, it got better. C: I was one of those who thought it was Mewtwo in its trailer...

:4villager: I love me some Animal Crossing, and the default model for him is the one I use for my own AC character! Looking forward to pocketting stuff and chopping trees.

:4pacman: I like Pac-Man, I'm glad they went with the World design and he seems pretty fun to play as.

:4wiifit: Not as excited for her as with everyone else, but I managed to warm-up to her due to all the funny PoTDs and weirdness factor she spills out.

:4mii: A welcome addition, I believed that if Sakurai went the "Custom Characters" route, Miis would fulfill that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom