• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rank the Newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
FINAL RESULTS ARE IN. (see below)
11 newcomers have been revealed. Rate them based on how much you "like" each one. 1st place is your favorite, 11th is least favorite. This is not a tier list.

How it works:
a lower score is more favorable, with scores based directly off placement.

After some time, final scores will be determined for the first 11.

Please number each character so as to speed up the final process.

My list:
1.:4greninja:
2.:4littlemac:
3.:4pacman:
4.:4megaman:
5.:4mii:
6.:4villager:
7.:4palutena:
8.:4robinm:
9.:rosalina:
10.:4lucina:
11.:4wiifit:

RESULTS
Top Three:
1. :4robinm:Robin (3.4 average ranking)
2. :4villager:Villager (5)
3.:4littlemac:Little Mac (5.14)

Upper Group:
4.:4megaman:Mega Man (5.4)
5.:4greninja:Greninja (5.46)
6.:rosalina:Rosalina (5.68)

Lower Group:
7.:4palutena:Palutena (6.18)
8.:4pacman:Pac-Man (6.84)
9.:4lucina:Lucina (6.88)

Mostly Garbage:
10.:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer (7.4)
11.:4mii:Mii (8.62)

[data obtained using all 50 valid posts so far; a simple average ranking was used]

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
rating the newcomers would be something like " Megaman : 10/10", what you want us to do is to "rank the newcomers", which is different. so i'm gonna go with ratings, if you will excuse me.

for me:
villager : 5/10, because he doesn't look impressive and his series is crappy
WFT: 7/10, almost the same as above, except she looks far better than villager
Megaman: 10/10: good character from a good series
Mac: 10/10, same as above
Palutena: Same as above, but with a 8,5/10 rating
Pac Man: i couldn't get a good feeling for the guy. He deserves being here, but i'm not impressed, so i guess i'll settle on 6/10
Mii: 0/10, deserves to be in, but we have 3 super generic movesets, and having 3 movesets for these crappy characters from crapppy games eats too much dev time
The others: -10/10, becuase none of the remaining 4 deserve to be in smash

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1.:4greninja:
As a Pokémon inclusion he's rather lousy imo, but his moveset is the only new one that looks like fun to me, so he's a potential alt.

2.:4lucina:
Marth that suits my playstyle more, plus she has a better design than him imo.

3.:4megaman:
His playstyle doesn't really suit me, but he looks like a fun match-up. Plus, he's Mega Man for pete's sake.

4.:4robinm:
Pretty much the same as Mega Man, doesn't suit me but will be fun to fight against.

5.:4littlemac:
He's a great inclusion from a character standpoint, but his moveset looks very unstable and he's probably gonna suck really bad.

Meh, that's all.

7.:4pacman:
Looks more fun than I thought he would be, but that's not saying much at all.

8.:4wiifit:
Bland and boring character, bland and boring moveset.

9.:4mii:
Took too much development time to ever be worth it I'm sure.

10.:4palutena:
Her gimmick is very poor, her moves look uninteresting, and as a character herself she annoys me.

11.:rosalina:
I hate playing as and against Ice Climbers, I hate playing as and against Olimar, so I don't like a character who combines both.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
1. :4robinf:
2. :4villager:
3. :4megaman:
4. :4pacman:
5.:4wiifit:
6. :4palutena:
7. :rosalina:
8. :4lucina:
9. :4littlemac:
10. :4greninja:
11. :4mii:

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Oh, what fun! Excellent concept for a thread! It might help to clarify how you want people to rank the characters. For example, there's likely a pretty large difference depending on how deserving I think the character is versus how interesting they look to play. That being said, if you don't care about the criteria, I suppose it doesn't matter, but it would be worth saying.

1.:4robinm:
2.:4palutena:
3.:rosalina:
4.:4littlemac:
5.:4wiifit:
7.:4megaman:
8.:4mii:
9.:4greninja:
11.:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

1. :4littlemac:(my second most wanted newcomer; his trailer is still the best in my opinion and I love his moveset; definitely a character that I will main)
2. :4robinm: (the scales have been tipped when he was shown on that day; I love Awakening and I love how he represents it; definitely has the second best trailer)
3. :4megaman: (I'm not the biggest Mega Man fan, but I love how his moveset represents his long history of games; a faithfully represented character in Smash)
4. :4villager: (creative moveset and I'm glad that Animal Crossing finally has a rep; it deserved to get a rep for so long)
5. :4pacman: (his trailer and everything about him is absolutely incredible; I didn't expect myself to get too hyped by him!)
6. :4greninja: (kinda middle in the road; I'm satisfied with Greninja as a whole, but I sometimes forget that it's on the roster)
7. :4palutena: (I'm indifferent as a whole and I don't care for the character in general)
8. :4lucina: (I like Lucina in Awakening, but I'm not a fan of clones)
9. :4wiifit: (with every passing newcomer we see she just gets more and more uninteresting)
10. :rosalina: (ew)
11. :4mii: (I wish that they stayed the hell away from this game; three uninspired movesets at the cost of some potential characters)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
1.) :4robinm:
2.) :rosalina:
3.) :4villager:
4.) :4littlemac:
5.) :4palutena:
6.) :4pacman:
7.) :4megaman:
8.) :4mii:
9.) :4lucina:
10.) :4wiifit:

11.) :4greninja:

*I'm pretty satisfied with the majority of the newcomers, and while I like some more than others, I do like them overall. Except Greninja. That's the one newcomer I'm not too fond of at the moment.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
1. :4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4lucina::4robinm::4robinf:

Even though only 2 of the 11 newcomers so far (Little Mac and Palutena) are part of the original prediction/expectation list I had I like them all, each and every one of them seems unique and special in its own way, except for Miis, I hate those things in MUH SMASH

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
1. :4pacman:
2.:4villager:
3.:4robinm:
4.:4megaman:
5.:4littlemac:
6.:4mii:
7.:4wiifit:
8.:4greninja:
9.:4palutena:
11.:rosalina:

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I cannot simply post images of characters and not explain my thoughts on said characters, therefore, I'll continue onwards and explain how I feel about each.
1.) :4lucina: Most wanted Newcomer after I played Awakening, love her character! She's a strong independent female character who fights with a sword, I mean, we didn't have that until now. Marth clone or not, it doesn't matter. I was going to play her either way, and this just means that I'll have a basic idea of what her moves will be since I've always played Marth (not always as a main, but nevertheless, he was ranked highly and still is). Most likely going to be my main, but still have to play and see.
2.) :4greninja: My Favorite of the Gen 6 Pokemon with a fight style that looks like he'll be fitting. The speed, projectile water shuriken, good recoveries, teleportation, counter, high priority smash attacks...I could go on for ages. Either way, Greninja is tied for most likely main in my book, and that's without even playing as him! Tied with Sonic and Lucina for main.
3.) :4robinm: Most unexpected and another character from Awakening I like, the tactical aspects will be fun! A Fire Emblem character with spells and the punishment of items breaking after use. Before I can determine whether I'll main Robin or not, I'll have to play them first.
4.) :rosalina: A strong female goddess who DOESN'T get kidnapped unlike another female Mario rep. She was a nice surprise and almost like an early Christmas present. Might end up playing her, but idk about maining her just yet.
5.) :4pacman: Played a lot of Pac-Man as a kid, started with 20th anniversary, went back and played some of the classics, but stopped after Pac Man World 2. Glad Namco-Bandai got their rep in. Probably won't main him, but he'll be fun to play either way.
6.) :4mii: Odd as it sounds, Mii's were a pretty cool announcement, they proved me wrong when I said they wouldn't work. I'll probably end up playing swordsman for mine. If they get into competitive play, I might try mine at some point, but who knows. They might not be allowed in competitive events anyways, due to all their customizations.
7.) :4littlemac:Only played Punch Out at a friends house, glad he finally got his spot in the game. He's this high up though since ALL of my friends are wanting to play as him, so I'm glad he's a character they enjoy! Not main material (bad air game is iffy to me), but I'll play him.
8.) :4megaman: Never really played Mega Man too much, I played Mario and Sonic games evenly (until Sonic Seven Rings and Black Knight came out). So I played Mario>Sonic>Pac-Man>Mega Man. Still glad to see him in though and was hyped to see him make it in. Won't main, but seems really fun.
9.) :4palutena: Wasn't too much of a fan of Kid Icarus games, but I did like that she showed up to prove me right to my friends (who said she really didn't have much of a chance). She looks interesting to play, but probably won't main her.
10.) :4villager: Only played a little bit of Animal Crossing, but I'm glad they finally got a rep instead of just one single freakin stage. I might not main them, but I'll play a little bit with them. This is the last character that I'm glad made it in and made me hyped for SSB4.
11.) :4wiifit: Hated the idea of at first, but now that they're in, eh, I'm neutral with them now. I know one person who'll main them, mainly because he thinks that the idea will throw people off. I'll play a few times as them, but eh, not maining. No hype from their appearance really.

Last edited:

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Seen this and I had to speak up, love this idea a bunch for some odd reason.
It's almost a shame though, there are a few characters that could easily take my number 1 spot and it's really tough to make these decisions. However I'm gonna try the best I can. Here's my list and a few reasons why I liked or dislike 'em.

1. :4robinf: - Loved the trailer and was so shocked to see her in at the time all things considering. Feels very unique and has swordplay AND magic which I love. Very excited to play as her and as and added bonus for my guy friends there's the gender switch option.
2. :4palutena: - Adore her so much was very happy to see her enter the fray. So many moves to choose from too, I do hope for a workaround for her custom moves online though not sure if that's gonna happen.
3. :4villager: - It's about time Villager got in and digging the alt options for him/her. Love the games he's/she's in a ton. Gender switching is always a plus. Very excited to kick butt as my Villager girl.
4. :4lucina: - Though she is a clone which can be a bit of a downer, I love her. She's the first standalone swordsWOMAN which is pretty cool in my book. She is pretty high up here due to unexpectedness and cool factor, however she would be a lot higher if she was more unique. She's lucky to be above my number 5 which is...
5. :rosalina: - I really like her a lot though I do wonder if she is what you would call "deserving", whether she is or not she's here and I'm digging her. My only worry is can I really pull off her gimmick? I really hope so.
6. :4greninja: - Probably my favorite playable Pokemon rep so far, he looks awesome! Not only that but my bestfriend's also crazy for this ninja froggie :3 Looking forward to using him!
7. :4mii: - Yeah I know what you're thinking, how can you put the Mii fighters so high up? Well I just really like what they did with em. When they were first leaked I thought they would looked like they do normally and fight with tennis rackets and a bunch of other crazy stuff you can do with them in their games. I'm very glad I was wrong there though. The classes I prefer in order are 1. Mii Swordsmen 2. Mii Brawler and 3. Mii Gunner. Only complaint with these guys is I would've loved to have seen a magic type.
8. :4littlemac: - I don't hate the guy but he isn't someone I'm too crazy about. I don't mind him too much and I think he's a great and powerful character but he just isn't for me. Number 9 was struggling for this spot but...
9. :4wiifit: - Before this chick would've been on the bottom of my list but she has grown on me since she was first announced. I might like her more play wise than I give her credit for but I won't know that till I actually get to play the game and pick her.
10. :4megaman: - Yeah hate me if you want but I'm not that crazy on him as everyone else is. I do like him and I'm not gonna rule out playing as him ever but he just isn't for me. I'm very glad he is here though because he did deserve it a TON. I do like what they did with his moves though, one of the most well put together movesets sure.
11. :4pacman: - He deserves his spot arguably more than :4megaman: but he definitely isn't someone I wanted personally. I could have dealt without him but at least I can say 100% without a doubt (unlike my friends) he deserves his spot especially since Namco is working with Sakurai's team on the game. He also like :4megaman: has a well thought out moveset. He just isn't for me.

This list is just my favorites list. If we were talking most deserving this list would be VERY different. Hope you enjoyed it somewhat xD

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've already stated my thoughts on the current newcomers way too many times, so I'm just going to rank them, and know that with the exception of last place, I totally love all of them, and even last place I'm just...neutral on. My lack of caring for them is strong, but whatever, they're here, it won't change.

1. :4robinm:/:4robinf:
2. :4littlemac:
3. :rosalina:
4. :4palutena:
5. :4greninja:
6. :4megaman:
7. :4villager:
8. :4pacman:
9. :4lucina:
10. :4wiifit:
Last. :4mii:

Last edited:

DoubleDeeEddBoy

Smash Cadet
NNID
DoubleDeeEddBoy
3DS FC
0834-0608-8884
I really don't hate any of them and I love all of their inclusions so far!

1.:4robinm::4robinf:This was one I wanted SO MUCH! I thought that Chrom would crush my dreams, but nope! Ever since I played Awakening, mages have always been my favorite class, and so glad magic in FE is represented!
2.:4villager:An odd choice at first, but after playing New Leaf, I warmed up to the idea of the Villager being the Animal Crossing rep. Besides, I couldn't think of anybody else to represent AC in the first place, and he is pretty much perfect.
3.:4wiifit:One of the things I love about Smash is that you could never know what to expect, and she absolutely blew my expectations. Granted, I know that some out there characters were going to be in Smash, but I didn't see her coming. Sure, her moveset looks plain, but I can handle that once the game comes out.
4.:4megaman:I will explain everything in Pac-Man, which should be below
5.:4pacman:I have wanted a Sonic vs. Mario match, and Brawl delivered. Smash 4 expanded this with the inclusion of Mega Man and Pac Man, and it was basically my childhood dream come to life. I love how it references all their classic incarnations and I am a nut for references. Granted, I hardly have ever played Mega Man and Pac-Man games, but I know how much of an impact they have for gaming in general.
6.:4lucina:I'm neutral about this matter. At first, I was upset that she was a clone of Marth, but I warmed up to the idea after replaying Awakening. It stuck true to the source material of her story, so that's good enough for e!
7.:4greninja:I always picked water starters in all Pokemon games, and Greninja is one of my favorites (nothing can be Swampert for me though), so him being playable excited me a lot. I am using a Greninja during my competitive Pokemon battles and he is a BEAST! Here's hoping he'll serve me well in the game!
8.:4palutena:Uprising is indeed a great game, and the Chaos Kin arc was my favorite part of the game. It got me on my toes when I was forced to fight Palutena. And I thought that her moveset was clever. Pit gets the weapons, Palutena gets the powers.
9.:4littlemac:I have not played Punch Out, but he looked pretty cool in the trailer. Maybe my mind will change once I do play Punch Out. He is so far the only character with a separate meter above his damage meter, so I like that minor detail.
10.:rosalina:I know there are other Mario characters I would like over her, but her moveset excites me. During my days of Blazblue, Carl was my main, and I enjoyed the heck out of Persona 4 Arena. Rosalina's moveset was right up my alley.
11.:4mii: I like the idea of Miis, but I liked the idea of referencing Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, etc. better. If the intention was to make the people who wanted characters like Goku and Reggie in the game shut up, it partially worked. But still, at least I can get creative with them and pretty much make dream matchups. I have been making so many Miis for Tomodachi Life, and now I can use them again!

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
1. :4wiifit: yes, really
2. :4greninja:
3. :4pacman:
4. :4robinm:
5. :4villager:
6. :rosalina:
7. :4littlemac:
8.:4megaman:
9. :4palutena:

--- Huge Gap ---

10. :4lucina:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
  1. :4littlemac: - Second Favorite Childhood Video Game Hero.
  2. :4villager: - I always loved the Animal Crossing Games and wanted him to be in Brawl.
  3. :4megaman: - I believed he should have been in since the Melee days.
  4. :4palutena: - I loved Kid Icarus Uprising and like that she fits with a Staff, plus, I love her 3DS model.
  5. :4robinm:/:4robinf: - I love both the design and the moveset of the Robins.
  6. :4lucina: - I like how she is Marth, but without the "Tip of the Blade" Mechanic.
  7. :rosalina: - She looks very interesting to play as, even though her playstyle would not fit mine.
  8. :4mii: - You can make any character you want with these (minus the magic user), plus their moves look snazzy and the size they have changes their fighting style.
  9. :4wiifit: - I don't hate her, but I don't really care for her.
  10. :4pacman: - Did not really expect him nor felt he had a chance. I don't hate him, but I don't think I will end up liking his moveset.
Edit: I know I forget Greninja, which is why my secondary post in this thread is the true one.

Last edited:

Captain Bananoz!!!

Smash Rookie
11.:4mii: - The look stupid :/ That's a bad argument, but I personally don't like them too much.
10.:4pacman: - Never wanted him in the game. Would've preferred Lloyd, personally, although then again, Pacman is more iconic...
9.:4megaman: - Looks cool, but his moveset doesn't really appeal to me.
8.:4villager: - Same as Megaman... too much variety...
7.:4wiifit: - I don't know enough about her to really rank her any higher or lower.
6.:rosalina: - Luma summoning looks really cool! I just hope she didn't replace Ice Climbers...
5.:4lucina: - She's very similar to Marth, but I can personally live with it.
4.:4greninja: - Nice stealth Pokemon addition to the roster. :D
3.:4palutena: - Looks awesome! And dat blackhole laser...
2.:4littlemac:- I like the concept of the K.O meter, cool character overall who may take some practice.
1.:4robinm::4robinf: - Love the fact that they're adding in a Fire Emblem character who uses, alongside a sword, spells!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
1) :4robinf::4robinm: (I wanted it. Didn't expect it. Since playing Awakening a few months ago I wanted Robin. So glad it's happening)
2):4greninja: (While I didn't choose Froakie in X [went with Chespin], I did in Y, and rather enjoyed using him. Greninja is a cool Pokemon and looks to be interesting in Smash)
3) :4lucina: (I liked her in Awakening. My Melain was also a Marth clone so hopefully I'll like her as much)
4) :4villager: (I've been an AC fan since the GCN one came out and am super happy he's in the game. Just.. seems a bit quirky. Which could be fine.)
5) :4littlemac: (I've played Punch Out but didn't really enjoy it. I don't have much connection to the character... However, I feel like he'd be a fun one to play as in Smash)
6) :rosalina: (I feel like she may just be too complicated to be worth the trouble. But, I like the character and see the potential)
7) :4wiifit: (Like most others, at first I was irritated at her inclusion then later grew to accept it. She gives me no hype but I don't dislike her either so meh)
8) :4megaman: (Not really a Mega Fan. He looks kinda underpowered too but I could be wrong on that one)
9) :4palutena: (She causes literally no hype for SSB for me at all... I don't find her to be a particularly exciting character and I feel like Kid Icarus should really just have :4pit:. This makes my hypocritical because I love :lucas:)
10) :4mii: (Didn't want them. Still don't, really. Though if they were separated I'd probably put the Gunner higher up this list, since that one looks kind of interesting. That's the only reason it's higher than Pacman)
11) :4pacman: (SERIOUSLY didn't want him. Particularly still do not. He'll be fine, I'm sure, if I don't like him I don't need to use him. But I... Just don't feel like he fits right. and he brought the fugliest stage we've seen in Smash yet. Thanks Pacman.)

...Basically E3 was disappointing for newcomers. But that's okay, it was fixed with Robin. Lol.

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
1. :4robinm::4robinf:
2. :4palutena:
3. :rosalina:
4. :4villager:
5. :4wiifit:
6. :4lucina:
7. :4greninja:
8. :4megaman:
9. :4littlemac:
10. :4mii:
11. :4pacman:

Before Robin was announced, Mii Fighters probably woulda placed better cos I was totally gonna make a red mage, or at least whatever could be closest. Then Robin happened and it was no longer necessary. <3

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How is this any different from the Rate Their Chances thread? We did rate newcomer satisfaction there too.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Note: Aside from Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man, everyone is pretty much 3 except for number 11. If you read this, thanks for taking your time and respecting my opinion and the opinion of others.
1. :4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer helped me work out a few years back and I absolutely loved that she gets a chance to become a Nintendo All Stars. I know a lot of people believe she doesn't deserve it but saying that there are better choices is bull****. She did something for many people, that makes her an All-Star in so many ways.
2. :4megaman: Mega Man 2 was my first video game of all time, the Blue Bomber has a good place in my heart. And the fact that most of his movements are based off the classic NES games, that's just beautiful.
3. :4palutena: Lady Palutena was so freaking sassy in Kid Icarus Uprising, it was hilarious and fantastic. I'm glad she's getting a chance to shine. She's going to bring Smash to a new light. Okay, I'm done with these light puns.
4. :4robinf::4robinm: The scales were certainly tipped with these two, I wanted Red Mage and I got it, just not in a way I expected. I'm a massive fan of Fire Emblem Awakening and I actually 100% the game, and I'm glad that I got these two in.
5. :4mii: If I'm ever mad, these guys will probably be played just to beat the crap out of whoever I'm angry at (myself included)
6. :4villager: The villager is adorable, people claim he is creepy but he's just cute in all sorts of ways. His dance, his cheering when using the Lloyd rocket, everything. Glad to have him in the game.
7. :4pacman: It's been said too many times and I will say it again. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all in the same game. That's just... That's amazing in so many ways.
8. :4littlemac:Little Mac is a boxer, I was a boxer for a time, and Punch Out is an awesome series. But, I'm an aerial game player. It saddens me to put him so low on the list...
9. :rosalina: Rosalina was a surprise to me, I expected Toad or Bowser Jr but... I'm not disappointed. Despite her being so low on the list I like her quite a bit and I can't wait to see people use her.
10. :4greninja: People claim Wii Fit Trainer brings nothing new, but what about Greninja? Water type? Squirtle brought it in Brawl. Ninja? Sheik is a ninja. Welp. He's still cool as hell so welcome, you tongue scarfed freak.
11. :4lucina: I don't hate her because she's a clone. I do not hate clones in any shape way or form. Fire Emblem Awakening had around 30 characters or so. This means that I am bound to dislike one or a few characters. Lucina was one of these characters. I found her more interesting than Chrom, but I still think she was boring. Do I think she deserves the spot? Hell no. Am I mad that she's in the game? Nope. She was added later in the game, she took no one's spot. People obviously like her. Being mad at a simple and non affecting decision is actually kind of silly. Hopefully she'll get some tweaks to make her a more different character.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've based my rankings off of how much I wanted them in and how appealing they looked to me in action. Some of the characters like Pac-Man and Wii Fit Trainer were mediocre to me at first, but when I saw how they played I was immediately drawn to them.

1. :4robinf::4robinm:
2. :4lucina:
3. :4pacman:
4. :4littlemac:
5. :4wiifit:
6. :rosalina:
7. :4greninja:
8. :4palutena:
9. :4megaman:
10. :4villager:

Last edited:

xxTailsxx

Smash Cadet
Personal bias:
:4greninja:
:rosalina:
:4robinm:
:4littlemac:
:4wiifit:
:4villager:
:4lucina:
:4pacman:
:4palutena:
:4mii:
:4megaman:

Based on playstyle:
:rosalina:- amazing combination of ice climbers and pikmin
:4robinm:-not an ordinary swordsman
:4mii:-they turned out way different than i expected, customization is actually integrated smartly
:4greninja:-may borrow moves from other fighters, but its a good blend for a ninja
:4littlemac:-great ground game but I feel the KO punch was unnecessary
:4wiifit:-good moveset for such a bad choice
:4villager:- fights with many weapons just like megaman
:4palutena:- decent movepool
:4pacman:-model is in 3d but uses pixelated objects in his moves that dont really match
:4megaman:- I feel if fox holds his down special megaman is useless
:4lucina:- shouldve been an alt

However I feel all of the newcomers are fairly unique and make most of the veterans look kinda dull

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
1. :4lucina:
2. :4robinf::4robinm:
3. :4megaman:
4. :4littlemac:
5. :4villager:
6. :4palutena:
7. :rosalina:
8. :4wiifit:
9. :4greninja:
10. :4mii:
11. :4pacman:

How is this any different from the Rate Their Chances thread? We did rate newcomer satisfaction there too.
Although we did rate them in that thread, they werent necessarily in a way that ranks them on a list. I, for example, gave both Lucina and Robin 100%. So if we were to list my scores for all newcomers, four would be tied for number one (Mega Man, Little Mac, Lucina, and Robin). On this thread, I only have one number 1 and one number 2 etc.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Although we did rate them in that thread, they werent necessarily in a way that ranks them on a list. I, for example, gave both Lucina and Robin 100%. So if we were to list my scores for all newcomers, four would be tied for number one (Mega Man, Little Mac, Lucina, and Robin). On this thread, I only have one number 1 and one number 2 etc.
Fair enough.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
1. :4robinf::4robinm: The only newcomer in my Top 5 list to actually get announced (post-Mega Man). Before Robin I wanted Lyn, since at least she'd be a Swordmaster-type unit and fight with a Laido style, and after Lyn, it was basically a magic unit I wanted. After doing the research, I settled on Robin, being my #3 pick overall, and Robin really saved the roster in my eyes. I absolutely love this addition and look forward to trying them out.
2. :4megaman: The only character who really hyped me so much prior to Robin, although frankly I kinda expected Mega Man to be in this game. Still, he looks awesome.
3. :4littlemac: Little Mac was never a character I was interested in at all, I just thought he should be playable, and I'm glad he is. I don't know if I'll ever play him that much.
4. :4lucina: If we didn't get Robin, I was at least hoping to get Lucina instead of Chrom. Did not expect to get both. Lucina's position wouldn't change even if we didn't get Robin. A female rep from FE is excellent.
5. :rosalina: Didn't care for adding a new Mario rep, but Rosalina was an excellent addition. I kinda liked Rosalina, but I never knew much about her.
6. :4palutena: Palutena looks cool. I didn't play Uprising, though, so her inclusion doesn't phase me much.
7. :4greninja: I don't care about Pokemon at all. But... he's a ninja frog. That's kinda awesome.
8. :4villager: Can't say I wasn't expecting an Animal Crossing rep, but his inclusion doesn't bug me that much. I just never cared for Animal Crossing.
9. :4pacman: Meh. Its great to have Pac-Man alongside Sonic and Mega Man, but I don't care that much for Pac-Man and I don't like how he doesn't have enough unique abilities to rely on his own skills.
10. :4mii: I was going to place Mii's at the bottom, but they're a bit better than I was expecting. Still never cared for Mii's, though.
11. :4wiifit: She's... kinda interesting. But that's about it. There's really no reason to add this character except for the WTF factor. She definitely had to have been considered first and foremost before a moveset was conceptualized. Overall, meh, but glad she was announced right away.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
This topic is quite interesting, so I decided to calculate the average rankings based on all of the posts so far!
If my calculations prove correct, this list displays the average newcomer satisfaction in this thread:
1. :4robinm: (avg. ranking of 3.18)
2. :4villager: (avg. ranking of 4.72)
3. :4littlemac: (avg. ranking of 4.90)
4. :4megaman: (avg. ranking of 5.18)
5. :4greninja: (avg. ranking of 5.51)
6. :rosalina: (avg. ranking of 5.96)
7. :4pacman: (avg. ranking of 6.06)
8. :4lucina: (avg. ranking of 6.21)
9. :4palutena: (avg. ranking of 6.33)
10. :4wiifit: (avg. ranking of 6.93)
11. :4mii: (avg. ranking of 8.09)

Last edited: