• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm starting to play Snake again, just got to practice with him more.

So you'll be seeing me around.

Snake is too beast.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I mean you could always argue that diddy is better, but he has matchups that people have argued to be hard counters like luigi.
I've heard people say Peach and Luigi are worse for Diddy than anything for Snake but idk, in my admittedly much more limited time playing Diddy I haven't found either of those matchups to be harder than Snake vs DDD. I also think Diddy tends to do better vs the more common and good characters like MK/DDD/Marth. Maybe some bias because I main MK and Diddy is much harder for MK than Snake IMO, but because of how pervasive MK is I'd say your matchup vs him alone is more important than your matchup vs Peach and Luigi combined.

People are talking a lot of stuff about Ally willing to counterpick now, but I don't see what the big deal is, he's clearly a talented player who can win with less effort if he switches characters, so why not? It's not as if he dropped snake or something.
He didn't just start counterpicking, he actually felt the need to come out and basically say "**** this game, too much stupid **** happens to me if I play only Snake". For a long time people(MK mains) have pointed to him and said "see, Snake is just as good and can be just as successful as MK", except no one goes from a pure MK main to "wow so much gay **** happens to me if I only play MK, **** this."

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
He didn't just start counterpicking, he actually felt the need to come out and basically say "**** this game, too much stupid **** happens to me if I play only Snake". For a long time people(MK mains) have pointed to him and said "see, Snake is just as good and can be just as successful as MK", except no one goes from a pure MK main to "wow so much gay **** happens to me if I only play MK, **** this."
LOL, I really like this example, it shows how tough it is to outgay MK.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
All the hitboxes of ftilt have a tripping rate of 0%. The tripping has to with the hex angle 169, aka the Sakurai angle.
The Sakurai angle causes moves to induce tripping regardless of rate.

Shield stun and hit stun aren't specified at all in Brawlbox or PSA, just the animations.
The stun occurs at the first frame of the animations.
If there's a formula for finding hitstun for a move, like if it's based on damage or base knockback, please post here so I can include it in my update.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I've heard people say Peach and Luigi are worse for Diddy than anything for Snake but idk, in my admittedly much more limited time playing Diddy I haven't found either of those matchups to be harder than Snake vs DDD. I also think Diddy tends to do better vs the more common and good characters like MK/DDD/Marth. Maybe some bias because I main MK and Diddy is much harder for MK than Snake IMO, but because of how pervasive MK is I'd say your matchup vs him alone is more important than your matchup vs Peach and Luigi combined.

I can't say that I know, I come from a fairly diverse regions, our top 10 has like 1 mk lol. <3 MD/VA. The way I figure though in terms of tier placement, it's about what's possible and not always what is the case. While those characters are not the most common, it is taken into account for placing diddy, doesn't he also have a noticeably bad matchup against falco?

I read his post, it sounded to me he got frustrated because it was a close match and he input a command that didn't come out, and he was saying he could definitely win with it being much less close and less effort had he used MK/Diddy.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
All the hitboxes of ftilt have a tripping rate of 0%. The tripping has to with the hex angle 169, aka the Sakurai angle.
The Sakurai angle causes moves to induce tripping regardless of rate.

Shield stun and hit stun aren't specified at all in Brawlbox or PSA, just the animations.
The stun occurs at the first frame of the animations.
If there's a formula for finding hitstun for a move, like if it's based on damage or base knockback, please post here so I can include it in my update.
Wow thats really interesting, so your basically saying that if they DI just the right way they will trip?
I can't say that I know, I come from a fairly diverse regions, our top 10 has like 1 mk lol. <3 MD/VA. The way I figure though in terms of tier placement, it's about what's possible and not always what is the case. While those characters are not the most common, it is taken into account for placing diddy, doesn't he also have a noticeably bad matchup against falco?

I read his post, it sounded to me he got frustrated because it was a close match and he input a command that didn't come out, and he was saying he could definitely win with it being much less close and less effort had he used MK/Diddy.
lol, our top 10 has no MKs, I think Diddy has a chance of surpassing Snake, I mean look at the last Hobo, like 3 Diddys in the top 5, his metagame is just getting better while Snake's is sort of stalling out.

Does anyone else feel like one of snake's biggest weakness is attacking someones shield?

Like a D3, MK, or diddy?

Anyone? :confused:
lol, attacking Dedede's shield is an invitation to get grabbed. But Snake does have a very good shield poker in nair.

Nic64

Smash Lord
doesn't he also have a noticeably bad matchup against falco?
It's disadvantaged, I wouldn't call it "bad" though. Also loses slightly to Wario IIRC, other peoples opinions I haven't played either side of that matchup really.

Does anyone else feel like one of snake's biggest weakness is attacking someones shield?
It's a weakness that he has nothing that is safe on the block, but just one among many IMO

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace

Like a D3, MK, or diddy?

Well, diddy is known for pretty absurd OOS options when he has a banana in hand.

D3 just has a really **** grab range.

MK dash grabs, and SL OOS.

Spaced Ftilt1 is pretty safe when spaced though. Honestly I hate attacking shields too, I generally try to keep a grenade around when I'm going to.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I gotta stop ftilt2 when the first is shielded. D*** my horrible rxn time.

@ Yume: 1) how did you do in the tourney? 2) What do you think about my friend, the fox guy? I know he does some noob mistakes (fsmash 3x in a row? Roll too much.) but he's willing to learn... kinda. If I can get him into a competitive mindset and make him admit that Fox isn't F-tier, he'll improve a lot.

-Ran

Smash Master

Like a D3, MK, or diddy?

And Falco.

Snake is at his best when he has a lead, where his opponent has to approach, but when Snake is having to approach... :confused:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Yay, I'm not alone. Yeah the players that just sit and wait make it hard for you to attack shields. :(.

Also, I don't think I'm going to pound, but VC instead.

-Ran

Smash Master
If a character has a strong OOS game, Snake's usefulness drops drastically. @.@ Snake doesn't really have a move that punishes Shields, except for grabbing. However, most of the characters that have good OOS game have grab ranges on par, or better than Snake.

napZzz

Smash Hero
snake is slowly getting worse and worse my fellow snake mains.....

WE NEED TO MAKE HIM BETTER SOMEHOW!

also, people who have the patience to camp snake are awfully rude and annoying =___=

Nic64

Smash Lord
also, people who have the patience to camp snake are awfully rude and annoying =___=
Air camping Snake is fun :D

Grenades are hilarious especially if you have a stock lead, they don't do anything useful for 3 seconds IT'S SO HARD TO AVOID GETTING KILLED LOL

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I gotta stop ftilt2 when the first is shielded. D*** my horrible rxn time.

@ Yume: 1) how did you do in the tourney? 2) What do you think about my friend, the fox guy? I know he does some noob mistakes (fsmash 3x in a row? Roll too much.) but he's willing to learn... kinda. If I can get him into a competitive mindset and make him admit that Fox isn't F-tier, he'll improve a lot.
Yeah he does make ALOT of n00bie mistakes, like not figuring out how to recover against my falco so i kept throwing him offstage till he died. But as long as he has better players to play against like you, NEU kids, BU kids, and Fatal? he will def improve.

snake is slowly getting worse and worse my fellow snake mains.....

WE NEED TO MAKE HIM BETTER SOMEHOW!

I've being playing the Snake Dedede matchup for the past month now, I think I'm coming closer and closer to make that matchup almost even. If you play it right Dedede shouldn't be able to juggle you, and I have being able to avoid getting gimped for a while now.

Underload

Lazy
Make Snake better: place well in tourney. That's all it boils down to.

The reason people practice? To eventually place better.
The reason people theorycraft? To eventually place better.

You get the idea.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Air camping Snake is fun :D

Grenades are hilarious especially if you have a stock lead, they don't do anything useful for 3 seconds IT'S SO HARD TO AVOID GETTING KILLED LOL
snake...sort of has tools to combat air camping, but more often than not he's gonna get punished trying to knock people away in the air =_=
Make Snake better: place well in tourney. That's all it boils down to.

The reason people practice? To eventually place better.
The reason people theorycraft? To eventually place better.

You get the idea.
so how hard did fino wreck colorado? : )

Top Bottom