• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become the Best: ROM 3 goals, Amsah vs Jman discussion?

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Nice posts :D

Openness of strategies
Falco dtilt shield stab
I've done this as Falco/Fox/Peach for a while now. :laugh: I can def remember doing this after crossing up your Marth. Save Falco, their dtilts are relatively slow (and like Falco, Peach risks getting OOS'd because of her limited range). With proper spacing, Fox's range can limit the opponent more. Shield pressure into poke exploits are phenomenal. I think they deserve more attention.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
If you uthrow uair certain chars at certain percents, won't they be in hitstun for too long to wait for them to mistakenly aerial with the c-stick in attempt to sDI?

Why not just punish their sDI by expecting it and positioning yourself appropriately?

If they DO consistently SDI the uair, why not just change it up with fox's bair or something?

edit: just went back and reread the whole thread. Amazing.

forward

Smash Champion
I'll start with the idea that there is no way to keep your character covered for 100% of the options. If it were we'd see more JV 5's. So by that account it is fair to say that as we cover options we also leave ourselves open to certain options.

I had a funny experience with this last night. Rubyiris, a local player who is decent, was playing against Axe, the amazing guy, in a Falco ditto. At one point somebody said something that implied "I got hit by that because I suck," and in response I replied, "No, the only thing a bad player would get hit by is something like... I don't know, wavedash in and d smash." About 15 seconds after I said this, Rubyiris wavedashes in and d smashes Axe.

That made me think about the level of strategies that people apply. Good players cover good options and leave themselves open to bad options.

Jesse, against you and other players around your level, I'm able to take advantage of this. I know that my opponent is looking to cover good options and spacing as such thus I space what my opponent believes is bad spacing to draw out an attack. My spacing is not actually bad, it just looks like it because of the level of skill of my opponent.

I think the reason it works around players of this skill level is that they still base their decisions of approach and countering off of tech skill. They play technical, so they are familiar with the technical patterns that lead to approaches. In their mind this is what high level melee play looks like. Melee is more than anything though about understanding people. I believe the main reason that the best players are at the best is because they understand their opponents. They have technical consistency and good spacing, but what sets them apart is that they make the best decisions based off of their opponent's mind.

Tech skill is only a means to an end. The ultimate goal in a match is to a land a hit, capitalize and kill. If you choose tech skill to land that hit don't assume your opponent will too, and be aware that choosing to play technical may reveal your intentions to your opponent.

So, to recap my main point, mix up your strategy. Apply unorthodox strategy to catch good players off guard.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. My tech skill is like 5% of Axe's but I can take off easy stocks because I know he's going to shine waveland off bair me and I can just take two steps away and fsmash him.

Consistency with your fundamental options is the most important tech skill. You don't need to have 15 options available to you. All you need is two. All you need to do is choose the right one, and the right one depends more on your opponent than anything else. Pretty much what you learned from playing Hugs I guess.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Jetfour- I can't tell you how much I appreciate you stopping in and giving me tidbits of advice. Thank you so much, please continue.

Hyper Energy- When I read that a few days ago I swore I was going to use that strategy, but then I forgot during my most recent tournament. I will definitely be thinking about that though.

Forward- Your insight is always appreciated and I always feel very priveleged when you post to peer into the mind of a great player. Although, I want to respectfully say something. I think you have a misconception that I play as technically as possible. I don't, and I don't think high level Melee should look like anything really, besides what you said. Landing a hit, capitalizing. As always though, your advice was great.

Summonedfist- We're saying the same thing haha. I meant jump up to make them SDI my uair, but don't uair. Then they'll use an aerial and I punish that.

Working on a new post right now. 2 of them probably.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
The 12 Man Tournament I'll Never Forget

7-26-10

Wow. I've been waiting to write this post for 2 days now. I'm very excited to share this with everyone. I entered a local tournament with 12 Melee players that I play with consistently. Nothing special right? Wrong. This may be perhaps the most influential tournament of my Smash career.

I came home from my Smash trip early for 2 reasons.

First, there was a tournament 2 days ago on the 24th in which Canada was coming, and I always feel the need to be at tournaments with OOS'ers so I can defend my region. Not to mention, I really love those guys and respect them so much. I wanted a chance to sit down and play with them and chill with them, because I used to get very bitter at tournaments and I want them to know I'm not like that at all, I just used to get frustrated. Second, I wanted a little time to let everything from my journey sink in, and get time to practice it all.

I went to the tournament on the 24th, and not only did Canada not show up, but half of my region's players are OOS for various reasons, so there were only about 12 players. I warmed up for a very long time, practicing all of my characters against a Jigglypuff player who really didn't know a lot, but I feel Jiggs is good practice because I have to be very careful to avoid grabs, meaning I need good spacing and tech skill.

I also played some friendlies with PikaPika!, who I was just warming up against. He said to me, "You haven't gotten better at all from your trip, you're exactly the same."

Now, Neil is very...Odd, and has a weird way of displaying either humor or whatever it was he was trying to convey. But, I didn't even let it get to me. I've been working so hard on my new mindset, I was trying to stay completely focused.

I realized though, and I knew this before I even left for my trip, but everyone was looking to see how much better I'd gotten. There was a lot of pressure from everyone watching me.

So, the tournament started and I won my first match or so. Then I played against a good friend of mine, Vicious.

Remember how I said in tournament I lose all of my tech skill? In my match with Vicious, a good friend of mine who I play with more than anyone, I lost it all. All of it. I lost so much tech skill that not only was I scared to lose the match, I became scared for my Smash career.

The rest of the tournament from here on out, was one of the most mentally challenging events that I'd ever been faced with.

I couldn't chaingrab his fox. I couldn't wavedash 8/10 times, I just full hopped...I couldn't edgeguard, I would get hit by Foxfire when I had an easy Fsmash. I didn't DI anything. No DI on Uthrows, no DI away from combos. And Vicious's combos are good. Every advantage Marth has, I lost it.

The match started and within a few seconds, I missed a wavedash.

"Don't worry about it, stay calm. Focus."

A dropped chaingrab, which resulted in me spotdodging instead of regrabbing.

"It doesn't matter. I will win."

I got death combo'd, and I didn't DI anything.

"Just focus. You can do this."

Another missed wavedash. 2 missed edgeguards in a row.

"Ok, I'm choking. I know it, I feel it. If I don't have access to my tools, I won't use them, or I'll use different ones. Stop chaingrabbing, don't go for risky edgeguards, instead just protect the ledge when he tries to get off. Don't wavedash, don't even dash dance if I don't have to."

The match continued, and he was laser camping me more than I've ever been laser camped. He wasn't approaching at all, he was just camping grabs and uthrow uairs, and aerials leading into other moves.

"This is supposed to be my good friend, why is he playing like this...No, no. Bad mindset. He's doing what he thinks will win, and I appreciate that. I would have nothing less."

We were both at unbelievably high percents, last stock. He SD'd at 130 I think it was. I won the match.

I had absolutely no satisfaction, because I know if I played like that against very high level players, I will get *****. I banned brinstar, something I normally don't do. I never used to ban stages because I never really paid attention to them and wrote them off as gay. Now, I need every advantage I can get. He took me to Rainbow Cruise, and somehow I managed to win.

My next opponent was PikaPika!, whose Sheik is unbelievably smart and quick. He's been playing this game for a very long time, and he has natural Smash smarts like most people wouldn't believe. I was nervous and there was no way I could play Marth right now. I went Fox.

I had a very focused mindset going into the match.

I'll be very quick and to the point with this part. I got *****. I SD'd at least once or twice a match, something I'm known for doing against him. I couldn't finish any of my shine-->wavedash to whatever combos. I always shined him, wavedashed to him, and just sat there or dodged or accidentally rolled.

I lost 3-0. He looked at me and smiled and said, "Really?" I think he knows I can beat him when I'm playing my best very badly, and he only plays against me now for the chance that I might be playing bad, that he can win.

Now, at this point there were only 2 things going on in my head.

The first was a very interesting thought. As soon as I lost, I started thinking of excuses to use in order to save my image and my pride. "I was playing horribly" was the first I thought of. Well, it was the only one really, but yeah that's what I was thinking.

The second thought completely outweighed the first though. The second thought was not really a thought persay, but a mindset. I didn't feel phased one bit. I'm going to come back and win. No emotions, don't let anything get to me.

I sat down and played more friendlies until I had to play my tournament match in loser's finals to Vicious.

It was the same exact situation as before. A mental battle with myself the entire match. I don't know how I won, but I came out on top with the set being either 3-1 or 3-2.

Back to PikaPika!. I had to win 2 sets.

I picked Fox. I didn't want to think about which character to pick, so I just chose him immediately. After I lost to him, in between matches I thought of what I did in the match against him. I got stuck in my shield a lot, made bad recovery decisions, and attempted to lock him down, which I failed at.

I decided to use a different approach. Be very careful, laser him when I could, and go for safe hits that would put me in a good position. Don't force anything.

The first match was Fox vs Sheik on Yoshi's Story. I carefully judged the distance between me and him and whenever he couldn't punish, I lasered. It wasn't even the damage that helped me. It was the fact that he had to approach.

I was so focused this match. It was a slow match at first. I punished his approaches and ended my combos quickly. I went back to lasering whenever I could. I was trying not to do anything stupid like miss an aerial in front of him, or get trapped in my shield.

This is where the story gets interesting and fun.

As the match went on, I didn't feel as nervous. It was a very slow event, but I was slowly gaining confidence and playing better. By the end of the match, I had 2 stock and ended with a very good combo into a bair.

Wow, that wasn't so hard.

I forgot the order of the matches from here, but he played Sheik again. I did the same thing, but this time, I could get inside of him easier when I had an opening, without risking getting CC'd because of bad tech skill. I didn't make any bad decisions. I started feeling good. I started feeling really good. I wasn't playing my best, but I was so immersed in the match, so absolutely focused, I couldn't hear anything, and I wasn't thinking about how well I was playing. All I wanted to do was destroy him. Not him personally, but just my opponent on the screen.

At some point he switched to Marth. Now I was playing good. Satisfactory level in tournament for me, since I normally don't even play this good. I was thinking of situations now, and predicting him. He was in my world now, being controlled, playing my game.

I threw him off with an Fthrow at low percent near the edge, and baited his double jump Fair back. Dash dance away, shine. Ledgehog.

More confidence. I won. 3-0. It took me 3 games but I was feeling very solid now. My fundamental playstyle hadn't changed. I was still lasering and forcing him to approach, and staying very safe. But my combos were better, I wasn't SD'ing, and I was quicker and I was punishing more of his mistakes.

He counterpicked Jigglypuff vs me on Dreamland. Again, so focused. I played very well, and managed to avoid all of his grabs. (I think, or at least most of them.)

At one point, I had double jumped and the only place I could land was in front of his shield. Most people would aerial and begin pressure. I didn't risk it. Waveland away, he whiffs his grab. If I was playing my best I would have punished, but instead I chose the safe option and kept lasering.

When he missed that grab something clicked in my head. I thought, "No, you will not grab me. You can't. I don't fall for that, and you humor me for even trying." Laser laser laser.

Last match he picked Sheik and took me to Battlefield. At this point I felt "in" the game. Now, I was thinking at close to the highest level I can think. I wasn't holding back. I ***** his first two stocks like they were nothing.

"That's right, you can't ****ing touch me. No one here can and soon no one will be able to."

He came back after he lost his second stock and I saw walk up to me slowly and Ftilt twice in a row. He was either trying to stay calm and play safe, or he had mentally given up. Although that thought briefly flashed in my head, it was only for a split second, and I didn't care which one of those was correct.

I dash danced in and baited the Ftilt. Whiff, punish with waveshines across the screen. He didn't bother recovering, he let himself die. To him, it was over. There was nothing he could do. To me, I had one more life to obliterate.

He came back and walked off the edge in his invincibility to suicide. I ran and grabbed the ledge. I think I actually missed and ended up foxfiring incorrectly. It didn't matter, when he Up B'd to his death, I dropped down and Shinespiked him.

"That's right, get ****ing *****. Now it's over."

And that was it. I won the tournament in Grand Finals 6-0. I went to shake his hand and he said "**** yourself." which he normally says. What he thought didn't matter at all to me though. I had taken 1st, the only placing in any tournament that I will ever be satisfied with.

RECAP AND AFTERTHOUGHTS

Well I had finally done it. I overcame my technical inconsistencies, although it took me a few matches. As you can imagine, for the next hour or two, I just tried to analyze every possible reason why I could have started playing better.

The first reason I came up with was because I felt safe with Fox. I made him play my game and I controlled him by lasering, covering his approach options and predicting what he was going to do, and punishing accordingly. I didn't play offensive at all. I thought about Forward telling me the more you attack, the more chance you have of messing up.

The next reason that I believe led me to overcoming my technical inconsistencies, and this is a big reason, was my mindset. Yes, I stayed calm and focused even when I lost, which to many of you, you may not understand how hard that was for me...I had just come back from a trip playing some of the best Melee players the world has to offer, including Mango...And I came back to a 12 person tournament and lost. But, I did stay focused.

However, that's not what I truly believe helped me win. I think that aided the process and prevented any negative emotions from ruining my chances, which is good. But, I started getting a very dominant, killer mindset. I became...Vicious and spiteful. I literally had the mindset of,

"Please come try and dash attack me as I dd away. Please do it so I can ****ing **** you and make you feel like a ****ing loser for even trying."

And then when he caught on I would think,

"I see what you're doing. I know what you're thinking. Try to mix it up, see what happens."

I know many of you are probably like...Wtf Jesse, and I agree in one way that, that mindset is not me. That makes me out to be very "*******-ish" when I'm really not. But after thinking about it, that mindset is the healthiest, most effective way for me to think. It's a direct reflection of how I feel about Me and Melee. I've been playing the game for 3 1/2 years, constantly striving to improve. I feel I should be able to outthink nearly anyone, and punish harder than anyone. I feel I truly DESERVE to win, always. I try to suppress my ego as much as possible, in Smash and in real life.

Maybe in-game Smash is a way for me to express my extremely competitive mindset, and my urge to be the best at whatever it is I do in life.

I'm going to try and tap into that mindset more. We'll see what happens. Oh, I have another post to make about that tournament as well, but I'll save it for a bit later.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Chivalruse- Thanks for watching the vids. Now read that long post I just made and rewatch the vids. It will be interesting for you I think. Double post, sorry mods.

Ok, after rewatching the vids I'm not playing nearly as good as I remember...But, it was enough to win, and the confidence I felt was real.

Edit: Ok, now rewatching them again I'm making TONS of mistakes...Was it possible that I didn't notice them because of how I was feeling? Weird.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So much Smash...It's all I think about and do ever. If I'm not playing I'm thinking about it. If I'm not thinking about it, I feel like I'm wasting my energy and the time I have in the day, and I start thinking about it...Wondering if I should take a break for a day and see what happens when I come back. Only 10 days till Apex though...Shoot idk.

forward

Smash Champion
Good stuff Jesse, sounds like your mind set is really improving.

I have this theory about tech skill errors. I believe that sometimes the reason we mess up on tech skill is because our mind is not in agreement with the hands and/or with itself. In the example of missing WDing to the ledge I see it like this. You see a ledge hog opportunity but milliseconds later you see an edge guard opportunity. The mind doesn't know which action to take and sometimes your hands will try to do both and make an ugly blunder of a move.

And then there was something else I wanted to comment on. When your mindset fell into that killer mentality. That is a very important quality to have. It can seriously determine so many matches and give worse players wins over better character because they are willing to fight harder for it. Think of it this way, a strong guy who can throw a mean punch can still lose in a fight to a smaller guy who is going to pick up rocks and weapons, bite, gouge the eyes, etc. I think it's something that I've lost over the years, but a lot of players do. Younger players usually have this mentality the best for various reasons, but if you can tap into then do it, it will take you far.

D

Deleted member

I guess I wasn't able to teach you much of anything, nor was I able to play well enough for you to get anything out of it. I'm glad you had fun at my house though.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
It's always interesting reading your posts and getting a glimpse into your mindset during these matches. I can't wait to see what you'll write after Apex now.

At any rate, here's what I think might've helped you start winning toward the end of your recent tournament.

Your mindset during the matches you were losing was...
"Don't worry about it, stay calm. Focus."

"It doesn't matter. I will win.

"Just focus. You can do this."
While when you were winning it was...
"Please come try and dash attack me as I dd away. Please do it so I can ****ing **** you and make you feel like a ****ing loser for even trying."

"I see what you're doing. I know what you're thinking. Try to mix it up, see what happens."
I think what helped you was a shift in thinking from the outcome of the match to the processes you needed to perform. The first quotes are all about making yourself think of winning. But nobody has any direct control over winning so it's rather pointless to have such a mindset.

In the second pair of quotes though, you started thinking about what you needed to do specifically in order to win. You caught on to his strategy for using dash attacks and in your mind you were focusing on dash dancing to avoid it and retaliate. Your game plan and tactics are what you do have control over so keeping them in mind helps you much more.

So while you were focusing on focus alone you were losing, but when you started thinking about what you needed to focus on (countering his approaches, making sure you were safe to fire lasers, etc.) you started winning. This article goes into more depth on the subject in case you're interested.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
This has been great following it everyday, and seeing what you've been up to, as well as your progress.

Great to see you've been working on your mindset, next time we play, expect a whole new level of gay. Hope your mind is made of steel by then, because you are going to need it :p

But really, I'm really looking forward to seeing and playing you, because I want to feel firsthand just how much you have developed.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I just wanted to say that even though I don't play Melee, I love reading your blog and all of the posts in it. It helped me realize some things and improve. Thanks for writing it :D

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Not a whole ton to say about Smash recently. I've been playing Melee and Brawl. In Melee my goal is to become the best obviously. In Brawl, I can't stand the game, so I'm just going to get good enough to be #1 in my region, because I can't stand not being the best at both games in my region.

In terms of Melee, I've been in a technical slump, but I haven't been really upset that I haven't been playing that good because I've been focusing as much as possible on my spacing. It's a weird feeling. I can tell my spacing is getting better and I'm pushing through to a new, consistent level of spacing. It makes all the difference in the world, and if I had to guess I'd say I'm getting hit about 20% less when I'm spacing as good as possible, which also means I'm getting in 20% more hits in, so it's a big improvement. A lot of those hits aren't combo starters though, they're like, Falco's bair when someone's on a platform.

That's what I have trouble spacing against the most. When someone is on a platform, they can usually fall down with an attack and hit me, especially if the attack lasts a long time like Bair from spacies. It's so hard for me to outspace bairs from spacies. Seems like they always hit me. I'm workin on it though.

I've also been just going for more simple edgeguards in friendlies. Like, if I had an easy edgehog on a spacie when I'm using Falco, I'd edgehog them and then drop down and shine them up, waveland onto the stage and kill them or do a combo. I figure, since they're already dead and it's a friendly, might as well do cool stuff and practice more tech skill.

I just don't want to get to the point where my instinct is to overkill the opponent, so now I'm just going for simple edgeguards in friendlies just to get back into the habit of efficiency.

I've been playing a lot of Falco recently, and I'm starting to like him more and more. Marth is still my main of course but I've been shying away from practicing him recently. There are a few things I love about Falco.

*He can control the opponent with lasers, making it less stressful to outthink the opponent in the neutral position. They have to work around me which I feel is an advantage that, once you get really good with lasers, even average players can utilize effectively without needing a whole lot of Smash smarts. If you have the smarts and as you get smarter, he just becomes better.

*He doesn't lose up close like Marth. Falco can get out of pressure by CC'ing into whatever move is appropriate, and also Shine OOS to combo or Bair depending on percents. He's more forgiving if I find myself in a bad situation I guess you could say.

*He has tons of creative potential, and there are so many ways to play him. So many different mixups possible, and a solution for every problem. If someone is platform camping, I can laser them or predict where they're going to be and bair. And, if I miss my bair it's hard to punish. With other characters it's a little bit harder to stop platform camping.

*I also like that he can connect combos probably better than any other character, although when my Marth is playing good my combos are much better and I'd go so far as to say even more creative.

My main problems with Falco are:

*Tech skill consistency. I don't think I'll ever be able to play him with enough consistent tech skill to be a tournament threat to top players, which kills me because I'm already confident that if I played him @ my best in tournament right now, I'd give a lot of top players a run for their money. He's just too hard to ever play him @ my best consistently.

*Sometimes I try to reverse laser and get space between me and my opponent, but they just chase me and hit me before the laser comes out. It's mentally taxing to know when to start lasering and when not to sometimes.

*I've been shield pressuring infinitely and while it's fun, sometimes it's not as effective. I have to start thinking more and covering every as many options as possible instead of just trying to break their shield lol.

Oh, and I'm not going to Apex anymore. That's been bumming me out for the past few days, but at the same time I'm not gonna let it get to me. I'm not gonna be a spoiled lil girl and cry about it. There will be more time for Smash tournies in the future. Good luck to everyone going and sorry to the people that I was supposed to play.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Chivalruse- Definitely man.

So I just want to briefly touch on a subject that relates to me pretty heavily, although it's brawl involved. Recently Ally, pretty much the undisputed 2nd best player in Brawl right now, and the 1st best for a while, went over to France for an international tournament. The tournament had some pretty high stakes, as there is always a big Europe vs USA debate going on on Smashboards and Youtube always.

Ally ended up placing 2nd to a Wario player named Gluttony. 2nd is really good but obviously it was not what Ally was aiming for, especially since he won Winner's Finals vs Gluttony.

There's a pretty big debate going on right now in the results thread. Europe is saying they **** and America is telling them they don't. To anyone who has any common sense, it was expected that whichever country came 1st at the tournament, they were going to get bragging rights. I'm pretty sure we all knew this beforehand. So, naturally, Europe is now celebrating and talking ****.

Ally's most recent post in that thread is where it becomes relevant to me.

Wow at what I created.

Stop saying random bull**** about Glutonny handling pressure; HE DIDNT HAVE THE SAME PRESSURE. his pressure WASNT 140+ CHEERING AGAINST HIM IT WAS CHEERING FOR HIM which is GOOOD and thats what I WOULD WANT. I CP FO cuz I just like CP random stages most of the time.

Armada go play ur game and keep losing to someone who made fun of you at Genesis.

I like most of EU Ppl but I swear they're the same bunch of idiots when it comes to OH WE **** NOW YEAYUZZZ. No you don't you just beat a canadian who sucks and been losing to anyone in the past 4 months for being too busy with life.

and other than 5-6 players in EU I have played. they're the only one that would stand a chance so far.

Wait glutonny had some pressure going on? I didnt know that. I never had pressure in Canada tourneys and it was very easy to handle ESP when the US first game to Canada and got cheered against. I FELT SOOO WELL. and dont even talk about glutonny doing well when he cant even leave his city alone. I'm used to the USA trash talk in some region (NJ/NY I barely get trashtalked anyhow). WC trashtalk is **** though. bye for now
This post severely disappoints me for a few reasons, and I really hope to use this for my own mentality when I start to place high at big tournaments.

First off he's taking away from Gluttony's victory by talking about how he had pressure against him. The kid is 15 years old and he just beat the player that reigned dominant in the US for a year or so, and is now currently the second best player. Whether you're alone in a room playing him or in front of a crowd of millions, that's an accomplishment. Not many other people can do that...And Gluttony had to win 2 sets against him. Congrats Gluttony.

Next, he takes a shot at Armada who is an unbelievable Melee player, and has come over to the US twice now taking 2nd the first time only to Mango, and placing 4th the next time...With a huge crowd completely against him and using a non top tier character...In a version of a game that makes his character even worse, and that he's unfamiliar with.

Anyone who's ever done anything like that deserves respect, especially from another top Smasher, even if the games are different. If you look at Armada's post, he was defending his country like he is expected to do. It's well known that one of Armada's biggest motivations is his pride for his Europe. What he was doing in that thread was completely understandable and respectable. Ally had no right to diss him like that...And, I've never seen Armada john about pressure like Ally did, so in my book Armada gets more respect from me.

Lastly, Ally says that Europe isn't good, they just beat someone (Him) who has been busy with life.

That is completely understandable, Smash isn't everyone's life and people do have other things going on besides Smash. However, Ally made a conscious choice to go to Europe. That means he was well aware of what he was playing for, (His country and in this case the U.S.) the consequences of what would happen if he won and if he lost, and he HAD to have been aware that the entire crowd was going to be rooting against him.

Now, I would normally say, if you're not ok with all the above do not go to Europe. If you're not ok with the consequences then don't go. But Ally is his own person and he can do whatever he wants. If he wants to go to Europe despite knowing the consequences and not being ok with them, then let him. No one has any dictation over what anyone else does.

But, if you do decide to go and you end up losing...You cannot john about it on Smashboards and take away another country's glory. That's just wrong. If he felt he was too busy with life and that he wasn't playing up to par, he should have thought one of two things...1st, I might be good enough to win even though I'm not at my best, so I'm going to go and be ok if I lose...Or, I'm not going to risk going over to another country and risk my country's reputation unless I'm playing my best.

That's it. And definitely don't take a shot at another top Smasher for defending his country.

Btw, none of this would even be a big deal if he wasn't the 2nd best player in America. That's why this is relevant to me, because Ally is at a level in his game that I'm working towards in mine, and his attitude has clearly changed since he became a top player a couple years ago. It's called the good player syndrome, and no one has ever escaped it...Johning when they lose and thinking they're on top of the world.

It's understandable too, because when you get to a certain level you begin to have more pride in yourself. You understand how good you are and when people challenge that belief you have about yourself, it hurts.

But it's the duty of a top player to accept everything that comes with being a good player...Even if it means that when you lose you have a whole country saying they're better than your country. That's what's gonna happen.

Lastly I have a lot of respect for Ally still. He's a great competitor and he's at the top of the game he plays. This wasn't a post to diss him, but a post to document that I never want to have that attitude that he does, and if I ever do and someone catches me, bring it to my attention please.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
This is a kind of random comment, but I recall earlier in this thread, you were mocking Brawl players for going to weird stages at every opportunity, which bugged me since it's sensible to do anything in your best interest. It looks like you've done a good job getting past that backwards mentality.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Fly - It's something I'm still kinda struggling with in Brawl. I mean, I understand the concept of doing whatever it takes to win, sometimes in Brawl though it bugs me to the point where I just don't want to play it, so I don't. I need to keep playing it though haha. But thanks man.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh, even though I brought up Brawl in my comment, I wasn't trying to make a point about Brawl, but rather how you think about competition in general. What matters is that you frowned upon people for doing perfectly legal things in a game, which is the sort of mentality that may hinder one's progress in a game and the development of the metagame, and also yield pointless stigmas.

When I saw you post that a while ago, I thought that your mentality would hinder your progress in Melee because (a) you would be reluctant to do whatever it takes to win (e.g. take somebody to Brinstar or something) and (b) you might not learn how to deal with certain extreme tactics.

As I said, it looks like you're starting to get over this, although you might have a couple issues here and there (e.g. you initially being upset at the way your friend played against you). No strategy that works that is within the rules deserves contempt; that sounds obvious, but it's worth keeping in mind.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Thanks a lot Fly...Great insight.

Random things to work on-

*Beating get up attacks on platforms and not running into them (lol)
*Lasers with Falco on every stage

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Europe is good; not enough players though IDK where u saw that they arent good ....

w-e lol I say things sometimes i dont mean to but you just dont know how pressuriing it was. + I had to be nice and answer EVERY EU player ( OVER 55+ asked me the same Q which is .. )

How is EU compared to U.S.

ugh w-e if i lost my respect i deserve it then. not a big loss though I suck now.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ally- It's all good. You're in a stressful position being on top. Just do what you gotta do.

Tai- I was actually going to ask you to post in here everything you learned from your stay in Cali. Post the questions if you want and when I answer them, maybe then you can post about Cali.

joeplicate

Smash Master
bump for amazingness

today, using zen mastery, i was able to smash a fly that was buzzing around my room for like a week using a piece of scrap paper

i am on my way to enlightenment

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I'm in the middle of a move and I still have no internet. Lots of good stuff to talk about though, hope everyone had fun at Apex. Shoutout to my friend PeePee who did amazing. Expect long posts soon lol

Joe- Great job at that Cali tourney man. You're so good :)

joeplicate

Smash Master
lmao thanks jesse

i'm looking forward to the update

maybe i'll try to write out a bunch of stuff tonight
going to a legit smashfest w/ lucky and alex19

nvm smashing tomorrow

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
If you get housed by Cactuar, let me and no cash know so we can come over and play you dude, we HAVE to play you in your national journy. : ]

ALso:

In your earlier blog post, you mentioned that if you mess up tech during a serious match, that you get upset, and go to your room (or just went to your room)...

If this ever occurs again, why not listen to music AND practice tech skill AS LONG AS YOU ARE UPSET at least. : ]

I mean, if you do feel dissapointed for not doing well technically during a match, make up for it by practicing it, for a long time.

Another thing:

I'd say that you CAN become the best MARTH in the world, if you want to. If you put in the effort to, and the sacrifice.

(and you already are, just keep going)

Although I'd practice some back-ups as well, because at times, we WANT to win with our main, because of our pride... But this is reality, we DO need to get out of pools first. So, I picked these secondaries (to my DOC): Jiggs, Falcon, Icies, and Sheik.

I picked them because they can be transferrable, meaning I'd be comfortable with falcon since his uair is similiar, and such. Ganon, is too slow for me. Icies, falcon, are fun. Sheik, well is also easy to play without much tech, as my doc, so that I can play the same style. Sheik won't be as much fun, but could also be near top tier, if I need her.

People say that if you main ONE char, that you'd be better at that char than if you mained more than one. But I always remember people saying that we don't use our brains to the max, so why not? We should be able to remember all that, we don't use it that much!

Also, I also sometimes wonder how I can improve my game, and I have to think about a ton of things... but one thing is, that I will NEVER overlook any options.

For example, I noticed I have been dash attacking alot, so I thought, "well I NEED to pivot, that is what I NEED to do, so I can ftilt or something" but then I thought "Or well I could just run and duck, then attack"

I wonder why I don't duck! I just don't, maybe I'm just so carefree of what may happen... Yes, I can be risky when I play.

Of course I will be practicing pivoting as much as I can, but since I can't do it even half the time, I'll just run > duck> w/e until I can one day. : D

Also try to think of a tourny being "anything done to win". Like, if someone is being gay you gotta be gay back, it's not about honor, but just using tactics that are EFFECIENT, not gay. ;p

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm taking it all into consideration and encourage more.

NEW POST

So, I've been playing an "eh" amount of Melee lately. San has my controller so I've been using my friend's. I've been working on spacing and just controlling situations mainly. I've been playing some other games, maybe for about the past 2 weeks or so I've been on Melee downtime. Enough relaxing though, I have goals to meet and new levels to reach.

I have 2 goals at this point. The first is breaking through to a new level. Upping my tier as a Smash player. Next, I want to become more of a competitor. A deadly, consistent competitor that can win against a certain level of players consistently. So, to re-iterate:

*Break through to a new level
*Become a deadly competitor

These goals go hand in hand with each other. I think about it like this.

I haven't really done anything OOS that was that impressive. I've beaten some good names and ***** some players in friendlies, but I usually choke or just play bad. That's part of being a good smasher, as we've talked about over and over in this blog.

The problem I have is, I'm not a competitor in Smash. I AM very good, and I'm getting better. However, I need to adapt to tournament settings better. There's a few factors I'd like to work on in particular, in this order.

*Dealing with Pressure & Nerves- I do get very nervous in Smash tournaments, and my nerves kick in and my fingers feel wobbly. I'm going to be testing different strategies, in addition to the ones you all have recommended to me, in order to cope with this weakness.

*Playing by controlling my opponent so I can figure him out on my terms- Sometimes I don't get the chance to figure out my opponent because I'm too busy trying to hit them. I want to control them and focus on having them play my game until I can figure them out. Sometimes I'll lose before I get a chance to pit my mind vs my opponent's mind. That's not something I want to happen anymore.

*Mental Stamina- Being able to play in/at tournaments for as long as I need- I want to be able to sit down and just play hundreds of friendlies, and then when tournament time comes feel just as mentally strong. Watching Justin Wong do that 300 matches in a row event at E3 was inspiring for this.

*Playing With No Emotion- I want nothing to affect my ability to play in tournament/learning in friendlies. If I'm playing with someone and they're using a tactic I find annoying, like Fox platform camping, I want the strategy to hit me and just be mentally absorbed as a good strategy that needs to be countered, instead of instilling negative emotions in me and me becoming frustrated/annoyed.

By becoming a deadly competitor, I'll feel like all of the work and hours I've put into this game will be worth it, since it's hard to feel like that when I can never play @ my best. It's an emotional struggle sometimes, trying to justify me playing this game and trying to become the best. So, I need to be able to consistently place at tournaments.

*Breaking Through to the Next Level*

When I went on my Smash trip, I learned something that hurt pretty badly, but also inspired me more than I've ever been: There are players out there legitimately better than me. Like, even when I'm playing my best, they can **** me. Most of the time I'm struggling trying to be consistent, but even when I am playing good, there are people who can consistently outread me, combo harder, etc. So, I need to take my game to the next level. What is the next level for me, all of my tech skill inconsistency johns put aside?

I know one thing that I can really improve on is punishing things faster. Instead of me needing to read my opponent's tactic 3 times in order to be able to predict and punish, I want to need to only read them once. Adapting faster basically. I want my brain process to be:

*I ran up and Dtilted
*He did this
*Get ready to punish next time or predict his prediction

I hope that makes sense.

I also need to be able to punish harder. Since I can do ZTD's to people, I at one point felt like my combos were at the best they could be. Hahaha what a joke. There's things I can be doing to maximize my combos and increase they're damage/killing potential. Learning when they will mash out of a combo and punishing it, using my kill moves earlier, how to set up into kill moves even in niche situations...Just everything to combo better basically.

I'll probably think of more, but I'll leave it at that for now. Gotta go play.

Top Bottom