• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become the Best: ROM 3 goals, Amsah vs Jman discussion?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Playing amazing in Melee tonight. Feels great. Spacing is perfect, timing is perfect. Vs. Falco I feel like I'm just sliding around PS'ing lasers, attacking with fairs OOS, wavedash OOS fsmash, perfect tech chasing etc. Just feels smooth and precise, the way Marth should feel.

Marth can outrange everybody. It's awesome.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Good stuff Jesse, sounds like your mind set is really improving.

I have this theory about tech skill errors. I believe that sometimes the reason we mess up on tech skill is because our mind is not in agreement with the hands and/or with itself. In the example of missing WDing to the ledge I see it like this. You see a ledge hog opportunity but milliseconds later you see an edge guard opportunity. The mind doesn't know which action to take and sometimes your hands will try to do both and make an ugly blunder of a move.

And then there was something else I wanted to comment on. When your mindset fell into that killer mentality. That is a very important quality to have. It can seriously determine so many matches and give worse players wins over better character because they are willing to fight harder for it. Think of it this way, a strong guy who can throw a mean punch can still lose in a fight to a smaller guy who is going to pick up rocks and weapons, bite, gouge the eyes, etc. I think it's something that I've lost over the years, but a lot of players do. Younger players usually have this mentality the best for various reasons, but if you can tap into then do it, it will take you far.
You know, I had this problem... Once though that I can remember. I was uairing a falcon, I was on fire... (I had some 5 hour energy) and I was making a come back, sorta. I had him off the stage (yoshis) in hitstun! I was so excited to MAYBE make a comeback! There I went! I jumped! Any move could have killed him, and then! and then! I air dodged diagnly to the right and down. ;-;

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Been practicing a few things lately.

-Counterpick Stages- Practicing mainly Marth, but also Sheik on the counterpicks. Marth sucks on them, but I'd like to make him work. Still gotta analyze more of his advantages/disadvantages, and how to minimize/maximize both.

-Combo'ing with Marth- Trying to figure out better combos than ones already known. I have a few new cool tricks, including how to combo into Dsmash and combo into grab better.

Trying to focus on staying calm and focused in a match, and learning my opponent. That's what I'm working on tonight.

D

Deleted member

how to marth in a way that your opponents have to outplay you very badly to win:

1. ><><><><><><><><>
2. grab
3. upthrow
4. obvious follow up
5. sword @ their moves in the air
6. keep doing it
7. opponent dies

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Nice, Max. Bring me my DS please.

Thoughts on Apex and Challenges to Overcome

I wasn't at Apex, but I'd like to share some thoughts on the tournament.

The craziest thing to me and the most enjoyable are the videos of Mango beating Hbox with Mario and Fox. Mango's playstyle is by far the most insightful out of anyone's. His playstyle is so refreshing and based completely on adapting to his opponent. He also gave me new ideas to fight vs Jiggs and just in general.

Next, what really hit me about Apex started making me nervous for the first time. I'm pretty far behind everybody. I mean, you watch videos between M2K and Armada, Mango and Hbox, and others, but the fact of the matter is, I have a long way to go before I can touch those people. There's other people out there that can probably wipe the floor with me. And that's not what bothers me the most.

What's going to be really tough is catching up to these people. If it takes me 6 months to get to their level, that's 6 months that they have to learn and catch up to the people above them. And I don't want to just hope that they don't play as much, or they get preoccupied with other things. I want them to be trying to improve as much as I am. But, that's going to make it hard to catch up.

That solidifies my theory that Melee is all about improving. It's how fast you can improve and how well you can come up with new strategies and execute them. I somehow have to improve at a rate much faster than the people already above me, and people below me with the same goals as me. I know it's possible, but sometimes I feel very disadvantaged. I have to start going to more tournaments, that's definitely for sure. Many more tournaments. I'm already behind my fellow East Coast Smashers, as they go to many tri-state tournies.

My region isn't the strongest region in Melee, so I need to help them get better so that forces me to get better. I don't get to play against as many characters as I'd like, which makes me nervous. Even if I become untouchable in like 5 matchups, what happens when I face an IC's player? I lose and place 17th instead of potentially 5th?

Just something I'm thinking about, and I already have a good method for improving. I'm going to try to refine it so I don't waste even a second in a friendly. I want to be always learning and improving.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can always learn something from playing someone. Make the most of your opportunities bro. =)

Also, those worries you have, they'll only slow you down unless you just enjoy being negative in your free time. Playing your game and getting better at the best pace you can will be the #1 thing to focus on because that solves the problem of others being above you as well.

^experience

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, just do what you can when you can. It's like with school, teachers are given less time to teach students what they should, because of dumb things like state tests or... specifically, FCAT. D: <

Just try really hard, to catch up. Although, you are ALREADY getting an experience we probably didn't get from Apex, man! : D

Don't forget what your JOURNEY'S purpose was!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ranmaru- I didn't go to Apex, unfortunately.

PP- You're the man, thanks.

I got frustrated last night, which was a goal I set to not get frustrated no matter what. Gotta repeat it until I can play and not get frustrated at my errors.

I played a lot with a friend of mine today. I was feeling decent and really wanted to focus on just playing my absolute best, smarts wise. The player is kind of a rookie, but it's always interesting playing vs them because I get to practice punishing EVERYTHING.

Like, I say that very literally. Against noobs, and I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just a label for a new player...I can read every single thing, and punish it perfectly. It's just 4 stock over and over and over unless I SD or mess up or something.

It's interesting, because I think that mindset/feeling I get when playing new people...How I can read everything, and punish everything accordingly, is how top pros like M2K, Armada and Mang0 feel vs most people below them.

I think the feeling they get is the same, it's just they're used to more advanced situations than I am, so whereas I'm punishing and ****** wavedashes from ledge, dodges, rolls, cc dsmashing, and that stuff is like...Easy for me, they're reading and punishing shines OOS, wavelands and other more advanced situations. That's one thing that really sucks.

When I go OOS, I can compete with good players pretty well, but I need to get warmed up vs them for like an hour or two, because I'm not used to the speed and trickiness they play at. I know it all and I can punish it all, but it takes a while to warm up to it.

I want to get better at predicting everything though, and reading everything. Sometimes my spacing is bad though, especially in certain situations...Like when Sheik is in the air and she's coming down with a bair. I always try to DD grab it, but the first 3 times I try, i don't dd far enough and i get hit. And I'm conscious of it, but the spacing is so far it still gets me until I fully adapt to it.

I want to be perfect. To get kills at every opportunity, and to not let anything hit me. Every situation there is in this game, I want to find the best options, and read my opponents and execute accordingly. It's just a matter of time I feel.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I love this thread. I feel like I'm going through similar struggles as you are Jesiah and it's refreshing to see it written out so eloquently!! I'm on the quest to become the best Peach in both Melee and Brawl lol :-p

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yeah Kyle, I could tell you really loved the game from how we played. Keep at it man, and I don't know about "eloquently" lol...I'm writing out my thoughts and I like to think of myself as a good writer, but if I try to write these blog posts like a normal essay or paper or article...It would take way too long. This thread is a place for me to dump my thoughts basically. I'm glad you're enjoying it though, thanks man

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Now that I'm ranked in AZ for both games, my goal is to become #1. :)
i think ur already pretty high up there in brawl. especially since there isnt really any established best peach atm.

Melee idk, armada seems like he a big step up from a lot of the other peaches ive seen.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Thanks! :) I'm definitely a lot closer to becoming one of the best Peaches in Brawl than I am for Melee. Armada is leagues ahead of all of us. I watch his videos a lot and try to emulate his style while incorporating my own unique flair to Peach. Honestly, I've never had so much passion for this character in my whole life!!

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Thanks! :) I'm definitely a lot closer to becoming one of the best Peaches in Brawl than I am for Melee. Armada is leagues ahead of all of us. I watch his videos a lot and try to emulate his style while incorporating my own unique flair to Peach. Honestly, I've never had so much passion for this character in my whole life!!
This is a problem that a lot of people have I think. You try to emulate other people too much, but unless you've developed your own style that fits best for you, you'll never be as good as the person you're trying to emulate.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
You may be right, but so far it's paid off greatly!!

I'm top 10 in AZ with the likes of Forward, Axe, GG7, and Taj because of the amount of time I've spent studying Armada's videos and learning Peach tricks that work well in my game. People frequently say "Armada!" during my matches.

Sure, I might not ever be as good as Armada, who's arguably Top 5 in the world. I will shoot for the moon and even if I don't make it, I will land among the stars. ;)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Wow, Melee Melee Melee...It's all I think about. It's clear to me that my mindset at this point is what I need to work on the most. I said a few pages back I want to be untouchable mentally and emotionally during matches. I need to start developing that mindset now by practicing it in friendlies.

I have to stop scrubbing out at OOS tournies, I have to remain calm and realize how much of a tournament threat I am. People should be worrying about me, not the other way around.

Smash is so much more than a game to me. I study so much, and practice pretty much all day. More though. It needs more efficient practice. I gotta think of new strategies, and get better at adapting. Adapting is so key, it's just a skill that's hard to practice, along with reading and prediction, which are really hard to practice.

I mean, you can practice tech skill and combos. You can practice spacing and edgeguarding. But practicing prediction means you need to get inside of your opponent's head. That's a hard thing to practice, and it's mentally stressful. But, I'm going to be practicing it. I've been sitting down for hours at a time, just playing hundreds of friendlies, practicing everything over and over. Mastering certain situations, practicing my execution, trying to become perfect.

To become perfect...Hmm, what does that even include? Is that my goal? I have goals in this game that go beyond me personally, but now's not the time for those. My main goal right now is to become the best. Becoming the best means I have to become perfect.

I need to master Marth. I need to dive into a deeper level of knowledge about him. I have to test more hitboxes that are tricky to me, like Falcon's nair. Find out what beats it and how. Do that with more moves, figure out better ways out of pressure, quicker ways to end my combos. I have to learn every single matchup characteristic, when to attack when not to attack based on what they can do. When do I outrange and when do I bait...This is all stuff that I just need to know. I know so much already, but I know I can delve deeper.

Going back to my mindset, and I know I'm getting kinda redundant here...But I can't let anything affect me. I need pure focus, where I can be in the middle of a rave playing against someone, with people behind me trashtalking me as hard as possible...And I need to be able to remain calm and focused. Sometimes I'm just, in the game. I don't even know or care what's going on around me, and I have to learn to play like that all the time.

I know I'm good, but there are some things that just elude me as a player, that are so hard to figure out. Here's a good example:

Watching Amsah play vs Falco, it's clear that he is unbelievably good at getting around lasers. Like, that's what he does. So, when someone plays Falco, I pick Sheik and I don't try to emulate him per say...I mean, I did at first of course, but I'm trying to move around and use her options and get as good at getting around lasers from even lower level players than Amsah...And, either I can't do it as good, or I will get the first hit in, but it takes like a long time of jumping around and stuff. Certain situations drag on too long, like my opponent jumping from platform to platform.

Eventually, I beat it, but it takes too long. I should be ****** it sooner and pressuring them more.

Ughh, very tired right now. I'll talk more later.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
No fighting guys. Btw, if anyone ever wants to talk about Smash, my AIM is Eveofmorse...I'm gonna go on now cuz I'm in the mood

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Individual Goals

Lots of stuff has happened since the last time I've posted.

Individual Goals

1. New Mindset

I've been practicing a ton. I've been playing pretty much nonstop, from when I wake up until I go to bed, with breaks here and there. I've been working on my mindset, playing matches and trying to stay completely focused, with no emotions. I don't want to be angry when I mess up, I don't want to be frustrated if i get shieldgrabbed, and I don't want to be happy when I get a kill. I want all of my energy and emotions to go into the match. And I've always said I wanted to have that ability, where nothing can shake me, but I've never put time into working on it. I've always just wanted it to naturally develop...

Nope. Not gonna happen. I put so much time into the game, and I have so much pride, whenever I mess up I always have this near irresistable urge to let people know. I've been working on it though. Like I said, I want to get to the point where I'm emotionally void, and purely focused. I've made a lot of progression too.

My main way of developing this mindset is by practicing not saying a word, and trying to suppress all emotions during select matches. For example, when I sit down and play I'll say, for the next 3 hours I will not say anything and whatever I feel when I play, frustration, anger, excitement, I will suppress it, and maintain focus.

I have so much pride and I've put so much time into the game, I feel like I have to let people know when I mess up. So before I started this mental training if that's what you want to call it, I would say things like this:

"That only hit because I didn't dash."
"Wow, shield poke. Cool."
"Get off the platform Marth, wow."
"I can't do anything right now, I'm playing horrible."

During my progress with my mental training, I was really trying not to say anything, but it was hard at first...It still is. I've been making progress because sometimes I don't say anything at all, but sometimes I lose focus. However, when I lose focus and slip up, the things I'm saying aren't nearly as bad. Now I just sigh sometimes, or I'll be like, "Ugh." Or I'll shake my head in disappointment.

I don't even want to do any of that, so I have to continue this practice and don't even let myself say anything.

That's the first major thing that's been happening since I last posted, is me working on my mentality. Now keep in mind, I'm not silent during every single match. If I've played for like 10 hours one day and I'm just playing Falcon and messing around, I'll laugh and say good job to people and stuff. The point is, I want to be able to access this mode whenever I want to.

2. Pushing Marth to His Limits

Ok, so...My marth is pretty fast compared to most. It's pretty precise, I can nail crazy edgeguards, do sick combos, etc. But, I can do all of that stuff better. I can move faster, be more precise and deadly. I'm going to be working on making my Marth as technically perfect as I can. Not overly flashy, but just being able to get anywhere as fast as possible, and being able to execute whatever I need, consistently, and better than what I can do now. So, the second part of my training so far has and is going to be pushing my Marth, as a standalone character, to it's limits. This isn't something I have to practice in isolation either. What I mean by that is, I can be practicing my new mindset and this at the same time, which is good.

Also, in terms of Marth as an individual character, I'm also going to be relearning what I already know a bit deeper. I do a lot of things out of instinct, like edgeguarding and recovering. There's not really anything wrong with that as long as you make it work. Lots of top smashers play like that, PC Chris being the one that comes to my mind first. (When he was in his prime.) But, I want to break everything down into options and cover everything they can possibly do. It can't hurt.

3. Matchup Mastery

This is something I've been putting off for a while. I'm going to go through every matchup, literally every ****ing matchup, and figure out everything. Top tiers, mid tiers, low tiers. I don't want to spend 200 hours practicing vs top tiers only to lose to a Young Link player. I've developed a new way of looking at matchups that I think will really help me master them, and I'm going to be looking at and practicing these matchups based on this new method I have. I don't want to post it just yet, because although I'm confident it will work, I don't want to be giving out false information yet.

The point is, there will never be any surprises. Every situation, with every character, I will know how to come out on top.

It's funny, when I think of this 2 things come to mind. The first was at Rom2 when I lost to Pine, a Doctor Mario player in pools. He beat me pretty solidly. I barely practiced the matchup at all since then, and a few months later I met him in pools at Mass Madness.

He beat me the first match, but the first match I wasn't really trying as hard as possible to win. I mean I was, but I didn't expect to win, since I knew I didn't know that much about the matchup. So, I studied him the first match as much as possible. I studied not only his habits, but what Doctor Mario could do...Not the ins and outs of the character, that's impossible in one match. Just the most effective characters specific things he was doing to me.

In between matches, I took a few seconds pretending to pick a counterpick. I already had my counterpick ready when I lost the first match though, what I was really trying to do was think of ways for Marth to beat what I had noticed in the first match. I thought of some ways, and I went into the second match thinking, "Now it's just a matter of execution."

And, the first few stocks I was trying to execute what I had thought of, but I kept messing up the timing and accuracy, since I'm not used to Doc. It was 2 stocks to 1, both at 0 percent. He had 2 stocks. Finally, I got it down and I made a comeback. It was a great feeling and Pine is a great player.

Although I'm happy I won that set, I think to myself...If I had just known more about the character and practiced just those few small things I had learned during the 1st match, I would have won both matches easily.

After thinking that, I can't help but to think, if I knew his character and the matchup as deeply as possible, it would have been massive ****. I would have been prepared for everything, and I could have spent more energy focusing on other things like reading even more of his habits.

The next thing I think of is when I suffered a crushing defeat in my own region to a Link player named Minh, who is very good and who I respect a lot. (I also taught him a lot.) He beat my Fox in 2 sets on FD with Link.

I was playing absolutely horribly technically, so naturally I was upset. But also, I didn't know the Link matchup as well as I should have. His projectiles were doing very good against me and he was locking me down with jabs. So, although I was playing bad, I could have knew more and beat his strategies better.

Ok, I think I've talked about this enough. You get the point.

Regional Goals

It's about time I start placing good at OOS tournaments. After all, there are phenomenal players on the East Coast that put in just as much work into this game as I do, maybe even more, and they're already better than me.

So, I'm setting some "East Coast Specific" goals that will motivate me when I go OOS. The main goal is to become the best on the East Coast, obviously. That's not going to happen overnight though and I don't expect it to. Might as well set some stepping stones along the way.

I've looked at every region on the East Coast and every one of their players. I have followed their tournament placings, and now I'm going to be watching their videos. I want to see exactly what I'm up against for a few reasons.

First, I can categorize the players into skill groups, and measure where I am. When looking at a region, I can measure like this for example:

" I'm better than these 5 players, but with these 3 it can go either way, and these 2 will beat me for sure. "

Then I'll watch some videos and see how they play, their strats, how they adapt, etc. I'll practice as much as possible to be able stop everything that they do, (I'll explain how I'm going to do that later :)) and then I'll feel comfortable vs those players. Then when I meet them in tournament, I'll be able to beat them and I'll know it wasn't a fluke. Boom, I just leveled up as a player. It's a good way to know where I am as a player and what to do next to improve. It's also just generally good to keep tabs on your opponents.

And again, you may be wondering how I'm going to be practicing all this, but just be patient...I'll explain soon.

Everything I've written above are goals personal to me. The next post is about something very serious to me, and something that may be the most important thing in Smash to me since my Smash career.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Western New York Community Goals

Community Goals

Western New York is the region I'm from. It's where I started 3 1/2 years ago and it's where I still play today. I can't say I've been happy with or agree with everything that's happened in this region since I've started playing, but that's part of being an involved member of any community.

Western New York has always been the region that ALMOST always does well. We ALMOST beat pro players and we ALMOST make it out of pools. The fact is though, we really haven't done anything THAT significant. There are a few exceptions though.

San, the Ike player has become a top pro in Brawl, a feared name if you will. I'm so happy to have him in our region because it's going to be tough for other regions to come just destroy us whenever they want, like they used to be able to. PikaPika! has also beaten some pretty big names in Brawl, he's just not consistent.

We also have Cura, Snakeee and da K.I.D. who have the potential to do really well, but have yet to really make a name for us.

In Melee, people know me, but I haven't really done anything noteworthy yet.

That's my region in my eyes. I love everyone to death, but the fact of the matter is there's only 2 people who have done anything significant, and only 1 who has done it consistently. We're really not that good, and that's just the truth.

However, we do have some advantages. We have a medium sized community that's dedicated to getting better, and that's enough to take that somewhere.

Also, keep in mind, I need my region to get better for me to get better. It's just necessary. So, as such, I've began teaching some people in my region. And it's not like I've been hogging all of my knowledge and skill to myself these past few years. It's just...Well, very few people ask for advice from me for one reason or another. I think they may be intimidated and don't want to feel like they're bothering me...And when I do get advice, SOME of the people don't take it and argue against it...Even some that do ask for advice, which is weird.

But yeah, I basically told a few people to ask me to help them whenever they wanted to, and a new player, Snowman, during one of our matches said to me, "Ok, start telling me what I'm doing wrong." And I spent like the next hour or two just training and teaching him, and I saw near immediate results.

One of our more dedicated players, Foy, stayed up with me all night training and listening to me and practicing. Again, near immediate results. I realized that I'm actually a good teacher and I should start teaching more, to whoever asks for it. It got me thinking and I eventually developed some goals that will help my region and me simultaneously, and turn us into the powerhouse that I know we can be.

1. Powerleveling My Region to My Level

The first step is to teach whoever wants to learn everything I already know. I want to make them as good as they can possibly be, which is my current level since...Well, I can't teach people how to be better than how I know how to be, that's just impossible. I want them to be able to compete with me consistently and get as close to beating me as possible. That's the first step. That will be a huge goal in and of itself, but one I'm willing to put the work into.

In order for this to work though, I'm going to have to give training sessions, and they're going to have to be effective. If some players with less dedication ask me for advice here and there, of course I'll give it to them. But, in order for my region to become as good as me, I'll have to actually sit down and teach, as if I was getting paid for it, even though the results are worth more than money to me.

So, to the people in my region that want me to teach them and bring them up to a new level of Melee, which I'm confident I can do, I will need a few requirements.

First, if you want me to help, you cannot do anything but accept the advice that I give you. Over the summer when I got back from my trip, a few players asked for advice and when I gave it to them, they just said they already knew it or made johns for what they messed up that I was trying to help them with. That's just a slap in the face to me. I understand it though. It's our egos and pride talking. We want to get better but we also have that urge to let people know that we're good players. Still though, if I'm going to be helping you get to MY level, I'm not feeding you BS. It's gonna be well thought out information that I know works, so just shut up and take it. Use it, refine it, **** me with it, whatever. Just don't interrupt me or not take the advice. It's a waste of my time.

Second, you have to ask for it. I'm not going to offer to give advice because I don't want to seem like I'm patronizing anyone, or come off like I'm some all knowing Melee god that's just trying to give advice to make myself feel better. No. If you don't ask for advice I'm going to be practicing things that I need to work on. Soooo, anyone from WNY reading this, if you want me to train you, which I WANT to do, just ask me and it will happen.

2. A Daunting Task: Character Diversity

This is a huge, huge goal that I will give everything I have to accomplish. Once everyone is at my level, of course my goal is to stay ahead of them as much as possible. (Sorry guys.) But, from there, my region needs character diversity. If I can beat everyone in my region, that means I can beat Fox, Falco, Falcon, Peach and Link for the most part. Great.

Look, in a perfect world, this is what I would like to see Western New York turn into.

A region with 25-40 players, 5-10 of them which are extremely dedicated national players, maining top tiers and some low-mid tiers, with other players still very skilled with random various characters.

Ha, yeah right. This is not a perfect world, and we don't have players with THAT much dedication, let alone even that amount of players.

But, why not try and get as close to that as possible?

So, whenever I can find time, I want to work on tons of different characters. My top tiers which I can play pretty well already, Link, Doctor Mario, Samus, Ice Climbers, Ganon, etc. etc. I want to play against my region as they improve, and learn every matchup I can, inside and out, with those characters. Why?

Well, the fact that it will make me a better player and a **** machine is just a bonus, believe it or not. The real goal is so that I can teach them to everyone else, so that I can practice against them with Marth or whoever else I need to. Everyone else gets great matchup experience, and so do I. Again, the more prepared I am against matchups, different styles, etc, the more prepared I'll be in tournament, and if my region is skilled in lots of matchups/playstyles, then that's more experience for me.

I'll also be teaching them whatever styles/tactics/tricks I've learned from OOS people, including videos, so I can be prepared against specific players as well. One last post coming up, it's something I've been thinking about a lot and I'm excited to share this idea and see what people think.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Where Will I end in Melee?

Everyone's Melee Career ends, right? Ken ended after what, 4 years? Mango's career looks like it's coming to an end as well, although hopefully not. All the awesome old pros, Isai, KDJ, Azen etc have all moved on to different parts of life as well. M2K, haha...He's still going.

So, I have to ask myself a few things every now and then. What's going to happen once I get to the top? Will I win for a few years and then get bored, like Mango? Will I decide to move on to other parts of my life and leave Melee behind? Well, no one can really know for sure what's going to happen to them, but I'd like to at least post a vision of what I'd like my ideal life to be in the future. My vision may change, as do many people's. People switch majors all the time, switch careers, get divorced and and re-married; anything can happen. But, at least at this point in my life, here's what I've got.

My love for Melee is so deep it scares me sometimes. But, I want to keep it going as long as possible. Not just me playing Melee, but the community. There's a few things I want from the community in the future actually.

1. To live forever- I never want to see Melee die.
2. Bigger Scene- It would be awesome if Melee tournaments were even bigger than they are now.
3. The overall skill level to improve

These are all things I want to see happen regardless of whether or not I quit the game. But, since I love it so much and I have no intentions of quitting, I might as well do my best to work towards these goals.

If I do get to the point where I'm consistently the best, which is the plan after all, and I can win consistently anywhere in the world...That satisfies my goal of becoming the best Melee player ever. Then I can start working on the above goals, and I think this is what will separate me from Ken and Mango and even M2K.

Ken and Mango got bored with the game, even though Mango's not done yet. I believe this is because they were motivated only by their personal will to become the best. After you get your goal, what else is there to do?

Well, I'd like to travel to every region. Big, Medium, Small...East Coast, Midwest, West Coast, France, Netherlands, Germany, Japan...Wherever. I'll go to tournaments and anyone that wants to play me, I'll teach them everything I can.

I'll go to big regions and make them better. I'll go to small regions and help improve them. Hopefully I'll be able to inspire some less dedicated regions to love the game more, and maybe they'll get their friends into it, so next time I come back I can teach them as well.

Maybe I'll teach some people to become so good, that they can beat me even, or at least come close. :-P That might motivate more people to want to be better than the new players, and make them want to get better as well.

Maybe in 3-4 years from now, relative to the current metagame now...Maybe the best 5-10 players will be at Mango's level, and the top 5 players even better than Mango is now. Who knows. Maybe tournaments will be stacked with so many more players, creating this vortex of momentum that makes the scene even bigger. Maybe not.

Either way, I'd like to do my best to make it happen. I'd like to see myself financially stable, whether that means working a full time job, part time job, or maybe even from tourney winnings, no job. (Ha, that would be amazing...More time to play the game.) Just travelling on weekends, taking off a week or two every few months to go overseas, writing about it, bringing out the potential in players and making Melee as awesome as it can be.

Wow, pretty deep post and some huge goals. Maybe I'm in over my head, haha...Well, this is just what would be cool to see in the future. Right now I need to focus on making it out of pools at a national lol...Baby steps.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I know we don't talk as much lately, Jesse. I blame that to me mostly departing from smash, but I want to let you know I read all of your posts on this and it's really great. I'm so glad you are still so dedicated, and the next time we meet I will play to win for sure and hopefully give you some nice practice =) Or totally demoralize you and **** your scrub ***! GET ****ED UP!!!!

<3

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
You know jesse, with all this talk about regional togetherness I'd like to see you come out to smash club more this year. Ima try to make it over to your apartment a lot more, but if I can't you've gotta at least come over and help train the freshmen. All i can do is train them vs roy, which in general isn't too practical in a tourney situation.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Random kind of off topic: I don't think Ken got that bored of the game. I think he just moved melee further down his priority list. You really do have to give up a lot to be the best. Ken was playing to pay for college but the money wasn't there any more so he had to get it through other means. Mango doesn't play for money but he didn't have the financial burden of college.

Don't know why I felt like ranting about that *shrug*

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Community Goals

Western New York is the region I'm from. It's where I started 3 1/2 years ago and it's where I still play today. I can't say I've been happy with or agree with everything that's happened in this region since I've started playing, but that's part of being an involved member of any community.

Western New York has always been the region that ALMOST always does well. We ALMOST beat pro players and we ALMOST make it out of pools. The fact is though, we really haven't done anything THAT significant. There are a few exceptions though.

San, the Ike player has become a top pro in Brawl, a feared name if you will. I'm so happy to have him in our region because it's going to be tough for other regions to come just destroy us whenever they want, like they used to be able to. PikaPika! has also beaten some pretty big names in Brawl, he's just not consistent.

We also have Cura, Snakeee and da K.I.D. who have the potential to do really well, but have yet to really make a name for us.

In Melee, people know me, but I haven't really done anything noteworthy yet.

That's my region in my eyes. I love everyone to death, but the fact of the matter is there's only 2 people who have done anything significant, and only 1 who has done it consistently. We're really not that good, and that's just the truth.

However, we do have some advantages. We have a medium sized community that's dedicated to getting better, and that's enough to take that somewhere.

Also, keep in mind, I need my region to get better for me to get better. It's just necessary. So, as such, I've began teaching some people in my region. And it's not like I've been hogging all of my knowledge and skill to myself these past few years. It's just...Well, very few people ask for advice from me for one reason or another. I think they may be intimidated and don't want to feel like they're bothering me...And when I do get advice, SOME of the people don't take it and argue against it...Even some that do ask for advice, which is weird.

But yeah, I basically told a few people to ask me to help them whenever they wanted to, and a new player, Snowman, during one of our matches said to me, "Ok, start telling me what I'm doing wrong." And I spent like the next hour or two just training and teaching him, and I saw near immediate results.

One of our more dedicated players, Foy, stayed up with me all night training and listening to me and practicing. Again, near immediate results. I realized that I'm actually a good teacher and I should start teaching more, to whoever asks for it. It got me thinking and I eventually developed some goals that will help my region and me simultaneously, and turn us into the powerhouse that I know we can be.

1. Powerleveling My Region to My Level

The first step is to teach whoever wants to learn everything I already know. I want to make them as good as they can possibly be, which is my current level since...Well, I can't teach people how to be better than how I know how to be, that's just impossible. I want them to be able to compete with me consistently and get as close to beating me as possible. That's the first step. That will be a huge goal in and of itself, but one I'm willing to put the work into.

In order for this to work though, I'm going to have to give training sessions, and they're going to have to be effective. If some players with less dedication ask me for advice here and there, of course I'll give it to them. But, in order for my region to become as good as me, I'll have to actually sit down and teach, as if I was getting paid for it, even though the results are worth more than money to me.

So, to the people in my region that want me to teach them and bring them up to a new level of Melee, which I'm confident I can do, I will need a few requirements.

First, if you want me to help, you cannot do anything but accept the advice that I give you. Over the summer when I got back from my trip, a few players asked for advice and when I gave it to them, they just said they already knew it or made johns for what they messed up that I was trying to help them with. That's just a slap in the face to me. I understand it though. It's our egos and pride talking. We want to get better but we also have that urge to let people know that we're good players. Still though, if I'm going to be helping you get to MY level, I'm not feeding you BS. It's gonna be well thought out information that I know works, so just shut up and take it. Use it, refine it, **** me with it, whatever. Just don't interrupt me or not take the advice. It's a waste of my time.

Second, you have to ask for it. I'm not going to offer to give advice because I don't want to seem like I'm patronizing anyone, or come off like I'm some all knowing Melee god that's just trying to give advice to make myself feel better. No. If you don't ask for advice I'm going to be practicing things that I need to work on. Soooo, anyone from WNY reading this, if you want me to train you, which I WANT to do, just ask me and it will happen.

2. A Daunting Task: Character Diversity

This is a huge, huge goal that I will give everything I have to accomplish. Once everyone is at my level, of course my goal is to stay ahead of them as much as possible. (Sorry guys.) But, from there, my region needs character diversity. If I can beat everyone in my region, that means I can beat Fox, Falco, Falcon, Peach and Link for the most part. Great.

Look, in a perfect world, this is what I would like to see Western New York turn into.

A region with 25-40 players, 5-10 of them which are extremely dedicated national players, maining top tiers and some low-mid tiers, with other players still very skilled with random various characters.

Ha, yeah right. This is not a perfect world, and we don't have players with THAT much dedication, let alone even that amount of players.

But, why not try and get as close to that as possible?

So, whenever I can find time, I want to work on tons of different characters. My top tiers which I can play pretty well already, Link, Doctor Mario, Samus, Ice Climbers, Ganon, etc. etc. I want to play against my region as they improve, and learn every matchup I can, inside and out, with those characters. Why?

Well, the fact that it will make me a better player and a **** machine is just a bonus, believe it or not. The real goal is so that I can teach them to everyone else, so that I can practice against them with Marth or whoever else I need to. Everyone else gets great matchup experience, and so do I. Again, the more prepared I am against matchups, different styles, etc, the more prepared I'll be in tournament, and if my region is skilled in lots of matchups/playstyles, then that's more experience for me.

I'll also be teaching them whatever styles/tactics/tricks I've learned from OOS people, including videos, so I can be prepared against specific players as well. One last post coming up, it's something I've been thinking about a lot and I'm excited to share this idea and see what people think.
You seem to be extremely focused on teaching them everything.
Just playing and having them focus on why they get hit, what you're trying to make them do, how they can avoid it, and having them work on movement should be enough for anyone to get to a high level of play IMO.
Pointing out "hey, in this situation I did x to make you do y so I could hit you with z" can help out a player a huge amount just knowing that they got manipulated into doing something. The next time a situation like that arises, they will (or should) be trying to think of how they can avoid falling into your trick and eventually that evolves into the mentality of "He's trying to make me do y so instead I'm going to do q and punish him when he tries z."

Then again, I haven't heard much of your advice yet so you could already be doing all that and more.
Would it be cool if I came to the apartment for a weekend in the near-ish future to play you? :D

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Matt- Yeah man, I'll let you know when will be a good time, so we can play all weekend. If you could bring other MA'ers like Roman, that would be amazing.

Quick Update- My controller is broke :( It's really bad because when you invest all of your energy into something (Melee) and you're handicapped, I feel like I'm wasting my life lol...But it's good mindset practice. Cuz I get SUPER frustrated and I have to fight the urge to complain.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Havent you been complaining about that controller for a while? You should have gotten one to replace it a while back. Or maybe Im confusing you with neil.

Either way, you should always have a second controller that you enjoy using handy.

Of couse, Im not one to talk since I only have one good one atm. but thats because you just broke my main one a couple weeks ago :laugh:

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I love this thread!!

It inspires me to not only get better myself, but to help the smash community around me to get better as well!! :) I mean... we already have awesome people here in AZ, but I'd like to have more people who are at my level or higher!

Character diversity sounds like a tough challenge. Thankfully, I've had a lot of practice fighting strange matchups like Pikachu and Mewtwo thanks to Axe and Taj. But I've also been exposed to other mid/low tiers like Luigi, Mario, etc. Then we have players like me who only play one character... :peach:

The main thing I need is experience and I can only get that really by traveling out of state and playing many different playstyles. I've only had glimpses of this through regional tourneys here in AZ... but that was mainly for Brawl.

So how do you guys break your controllers?? I've yet to have that happen to me... but then again I play Peach lol. Maybe my c-stick is wearing out cuz I press down on it too much... :laugh:

But yeah... I think mindset is probably the most important thing I need to work on next to getting more experience and better mind games.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Silly Kyle- To answer your question, it's a combination of the following.

1. Me pressing my buttons incredibly hard and wearing down controllers much more quickly than most ppl.
2. Me occasionally slamming my controller. (Which is stopping now lol)
3. Me living with 5-6 other Smashers in a chaotic apartment where lots of stuff gets broken

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Making a big similar post jesse i want you to check it out later. ill text when its up

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
BTW, Jesse uhm.... *meeps* I THINK it's a possibility that that could've been my controller, seeing as I think I may have your's, or someone else's from the apartment. Mind didn't have a gripon the c stick but the one I accidently picked up from your place does. Yeah... up till about 6 AM playing Smash, then 3 hours of sleep. Not the best thing I'd done that weekend. lol, sorry. ^^;

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
It's 2 AM. Might as well post random thoughts.

I haven't been playing much Marth lately. I only bust him out in specific matchups that I know I'm going to play in tournament. Otherwise, I've been dedicating my time to a secret character...Haha. A character that I've fallen in love with. Much more diverse than Marth I feel, although this character is not as good as my Marth yet.

I've been going back and polishing my fundamentals with my characters. 10 reps of wavedashing, waveshines, chaingrabs with pivot grabs from 20-30 on Fox with Marth. Wavedash FF--> ledge. I play against people too, just working on precision and spacing mainly.

When I go into friendlies I remind myself that I'm working on my mindset. I also focus on precision and accuracy. I haven't really focused on boosting my max potential right now. I'm just focusing on becoming consistent by focusing on tech things individually, until they're so ingrained in my head during my matches, I will never play bad because my hands will automatically know exactly what to do. I hope.

Anyways, yeah I'm excited about my secret character mwahahaha.

Top Bottom