• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
I'm back, everybody! It's March and it's my most favorite month of all!
And March 17th, St. Patrick's Day, is my 20th birthday~! :)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
With all of the flowers and trees blooming and plants and animals alike coming out of hibernation, it must be Lip and Thiana's favorite month.

Sounds like you want to play Napple Tale.
I'd really rather not have a spiritual successor. What I want is the genuine article, and I'm sure a lot of regulars to this thread (both of them) can back me up on this, but I'll look into it. I do know it's a Japan-only game that doesn't have a translation patch, and I'm not sure if this hunk-of-junk computer can properly emulate the Dreamcast without falling to pieces.

I should have made some PDP-themed Valentines and given them to my coworkers.
Aww, why didn't you? That sounds like it would have been adorable. (Anything to help get the word out!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think this thread has more than two regulars, there's just not a lot to talk about. But I digress.

So I was playing Pokemon Yellow, got bored, one thing lead to another and suddenly I was looking at the decompressed graphics of Pokemon Puzzle Challenge and stumbled over this picture:

And because I'm a pretty curious person, I did a Google search and found a handy list of offsets (funnily enough, the above pic wasn't listed). Turns out there's way more PdP stuff in there than I initially thought, like the world map and big sprites. Not sure how much of that is still intact, but if there's any interest I could take a look and get some of the more interesting graphics. Might be a nice change of pace from the usual 3d modeling stuff, so what do you guys think?

Oh and I didn't forget about the Furil model, in fact, I just worked on it today and the base model is nearly done, only missing the hair in the front and then texture work.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Neat. It seems like they got pretty far in development with Panel de Pon GB before they decided to revamp it into Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, considering they have three entire sets of mugshots of the fairy girls and everything.

(I'm not actually sure how that character is supposed to be. It looks like Kain with the scarf and everything, but the face looks too feminine for it to be him... hmm.)

I actually wonder if the Nintendo Puzzle Collection games were supposed to star the SNES cast originally. It would definitely explain the flood of expies, and why most of the original cast is unaccounted for.

Oh, and could I get a tutorial on 3D modeling sometime? I've tried my hand at it before and I just could not figure it out at all.

CH4F

Smash Cadet
Wait, didn't the Nintendo Puzzle Collection had a GBA version of PDP, using the GBA/GCN link?

D

Deleted member

Neat. It seems like they got pretty far in development with Panel de Pon GB before they decided to revamp it into Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, considering they have three entire sets of mugshots of the fairy girls and everything.
The thing I'm curious about is whether Panepon GB was also supposed to be a GBC game only, like Pokemon Puzzle Challenge or if that was changed once they switched to Pokemon. I really love the graphics of the old handhelds with their three colors and big sprites, it's nostalgic.

(I'm not actually sure how that character is supposed to be. It looks like Kain with the scarf and everything, but the face looks too feminine for it to be him... hmm.)
Could still be him, wouldn't be the first time a character gets a redesign.

Oh, and could I get a tutorial on 3D modeling sometime? I've tried my hand at it before and I just could not figure it out at all.
I don't think I'm the right person for this, as I'm not good myself. I can do simple stuff, but for something more complex I still use bases and modify them. And the rest, as Bob Ross would call them, are happy, little accidents. More often than not I learn by just experimenting around. Also not every software is used in the same way, so it would be the best if you looked for tutorials that are for your modeling software. For example, I do kinda know my way around 3DS Max, but I'm totally lost with Blender, it just looks so messy to me.

I could still try to help you with whatever problem you're having, but I'm the wrong person for making a full tutorial.

Wait, didn't the Nintendo Puzzle Collection had a GBA version of PDP, using the GBA/GCN link?
There were "two" PdP games for the GBA, one was the Dr. Mario & Puzzle League combo, which, if I recall correctly, didn't have any characters whatsoever, not even in the Japanese version.The other was, as you said, the version you got when connecting the Nintendo Puzzle Collection with your GBA. This one had the fluffy... thing (that's always with Furil) as a mascot at the sidelines, but nothing relating to the fairies. It was a very small game as it had to be loaded into the memory of the console itself, so I doubt you're gonna find much of interest there... if it's even possible to rip the ROM to begin with, that is, as no physical cartridge exists and the data gets lost once the GBA gets turned off. But I'm no expert on this.

As it stands, from what I recall, the characters only made three appearances in their franchise:
Panel de Pon (SNES)
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (and by extension the GBA connectivity) (different cast though)
Panel de Pon (DS) (Lip's stage is an unlockable background in Japan only, though it can be gotten via cheats in the US and maybe also EU games)

And then there's the cameo of a few of them in SSBB as stickers. This one featured the GC staff.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Nine years later (nine!) and I'm still salty about Planet Puzzle League and that cut. It wasn't enough to ruin the franchise, was it? You had to snip out the last remaining trace of whimsy from an otherwise forgettable game with a generic "cyber" motif absolutely no different from the kind Tetris has adopted since the mid-2000s. (Even the Japanese fans were asking "Where the hell are the fairies?") Way to make your game stand out, guys. But in the end, it's our fault for not wanting to buy a game that ditched everything that made the previous ones appealing, isn't it, and that's why the franchise is dead and not your own terrible, terrible marketing decisions.

I think the downloadable NPC Panepon has had its ROM ripped a while back, actually. I've seen videos of people playing it on YouTube, at least.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Intelligent Systems revealed a new Paper Mario game in today's Nintendo Direct. It's a rehash of Sticker Star (not a great game on its own) with tacked-on color mechanics.

I wish IS would do something, anything really as long as it's good, with Panel de Pon again instead of just pumping out sequels to Fire Emblem and Sticker Star. They could even let Alpha Dream do it. They seemed to be comfortable with letting them handle Paper Mario, if only as part of a crossover, and I felt they did a pretty good job.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Intelligent Systems can restore my faith in them by doing at least 1 of these two things:

- A new Advance Wars (very long overdue now)
- A console sequel to Codename STEAM that supports missions with more than 4 player units at a time and plays more like Valkyria/Operation Darkness

By the way, I never knew until yesterday that Tetris Attack ended up being re-released in Japan as Yoshi no Panepon (free of the Tetris license), similar to Doki Doki Panic making it back to its home country as Super Mario USA. This was also the only Game Boy version they got for the original release. I kinda wonder whether there was a rights conflict with the designer of the original Panepon characters, or if Nintendo/IS were worried about a lawsuit for the concept and visual design being just a bit too similar to Puyo - or perhaps some old magical girl anime.

Have any of you Panepon diehards ever tried out Gussun Oyoyo? I'd say it's definitely the most unfairly overlooked puzzle game series ever, since unlike Panepon, it was never properly introduced to Western audiences even in some butchered form. It's similar to the mode in Tetris Plus where you have to guide a fragile, automatically moving character past pits and hazards towards an exit with careful block movements, but on a much larger and more complex playing field. The most fun part is crushing enemies to death at will with your blocks, though using the pieces as mobile mid-air platforms for Gussun is cool too. There's also a cute anime girl character, if that helps to sweeten the deal, and split-screen versus modes for competition. You can co-op through every puzzle with a second block spawn and another character to guide, though this requires very careful cooperation to avoid instantly screwing everything up.

IMO, the best game in the series and best starting point is Super Gussun Oyoyo 2 on SFC. The first SFC release is mostly a subpar rehash of levels seen in previous versions, made unbearable without savestates by having limited continues. (It does at least have a stage editor.) But the sequel is completely new, and features a more balanced difficulty level, along with an awesome and unexpected surf rock soundtrack. I've heard that some fans prefer Zoku Gussun on PS1/Saturn, which has "nicer" graphics and a cleaner presentation, but its challenge leans a bit too far towards the wimpy side for me.

Note that the final game in the series (Gussun Paradise/YoYo's Puzzle Park) is in a completely different genre, being a single-screen comical action platformer like Bubble Bobble, where you finally get to directly control Gussun. It was localized in Europe, but not the US.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Please no more Codename STEAM. I could do without 2016's latest cash-in on the steampunk fad.

I might look into Gussun Oyoyo but I don't quite like the tone of your post. To me it, and the one you made earlier about Napple Tale, comes across as, "Do you miss Panel de Pon? Well then I bet you'll love this game with completely different characters, a completely different setting, and an only vaguely similar tone!" At least we can agree that Tetris Attack was kind of a butchery.

Lip was able to appear in Captain Rainbow with her design... relatively unchanged... and Panel de Pon still gets Virtual Console rereleases every now and then, so I doubt there was any kind of rights issue. It's more likely that Nintendo just doesn't think the series is profitable anymore and isn't even willing to try out a reinvention or spinoff of any kind. This is a stupid move of course, considering how profitable girl-driven series are and have been for the entire decade of 2010 (one of the most popular cartoons of the era has a main cast with a gender balance of 1 boy/7 girls!) and how open Nintendo is to experimentation in general, but who are we peasants to tell them what to do.

Now that SNES games are starting to be released on the New 3DS Virtual Console, do you think if we cry out loudly enough we could finally get Panel de Pon localized?

Last edited:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Please no more Codename STEAM. I could do without 2016's latest cash-in on the steampunk fad.
Who cares about the theme, it's another SRPG with the same hybrid third-person shooter style as Valkyria, which is enough for me to care about it way more than the latest Fire Emblem or Disgaea. That said, I wasn't all that happy with how it turned out, but it could easily serve as a solid foundation for a much deeper and more refined sequel on better hardware.

I might look into Gussun Oyoyo but I don't quite like the tone of your post. To me it, and the one you made earlier about Napple Tale, comes across as, "Do you miss Panel de Pon? Well then I bet you'll love this game with completely different characters, a completely different setting, and an only vaguely similar tone!" At least we can agree that Tetris Attack was kind of a butchery.
Cool your jets. I'd like to believe that the charming characters and setting of Panepon's original SFC version aren't the only reason why you're so enamored with the series and eager to rush to its defense. The puzzle gameplay is why the series exists in the first place, and like other popular puzzlers, its mechanics proved to be applicable to a wide variety of other styles and themes in marketing the game to different audiences at different times. I consider Tetris Attack a "butchery" because they took the exact same ROM and stretched a clumsy alternate skin over it, while deceptively branding it with the name of a much more recognizable game that it had nothing to do with. I'm much more willing to accept the legitimacy of the N64/GBA/DS outings.

Girl-oriented cartoons and games might be more successful now; it's hard to tell with how much the lines of what specifically constitutes "media for girls" have been continually blurred since the 1980s ended (the era of Barbie and GI Joe, colloquially speaking). MLP: FIM isn't as huge as you think it is, just because a tiny vocal minority of adult nerds were tricked into going nuts for it. On the other hand, it's well known that Shonen Jump anime and manga started to become much more popular among girls in the 1990s, once more character-driven series like Ruruoni Kenshin gained prominence.

After Pokemon proved to Nintendo that a single, carefully marketed franchise could garner massive appeal with both boys and girls, they've probably lacked the incentive to push another product with a similar tone and aesthetic sense as the original Panepon. Puyo Puyo has always had strong support from players of both sexes (at least in its home country), an advantage that Panepon apparently didn't have. It's certainly unfortunate, but I'll say it again, the best chance you're ever going to have at seeing another Panel de Pon/Puzzle League game that contains the fairy characters and all the other elements you want is to make one yourself.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Cool your jets. I'd like to believe that the charming characters and setting of Panepon's original SFC version aren't the only reason why you're so enamored with the series and eager to rush to its defense.
Well... heheh. They are in fact one of the main reasons why I like the game as much as I do. The gameplay is fun and everything, but the character designs and the setting are why I really love the series. They have this sort of adorable appeal that I've rarely seen in any other franchise and which Nintendo doesn't seem to have been able to replicate since. Only Splatoon's inklings have come anywhere near close, in my opinion.

(Here's a question: Would I have been pushing for an RPG spinoff or revival as hard if the gameplay were my favorite feature?)

MLP: FIM isn't as huge as you think it is, just because a tiny vocal minority of adult nerds were tricked into going nuts for it.
A show doesn't run for six years, with several spinoffs, its own feature-length film, and a fairly consistently good reception, without having a large and devoted fanbase. And the adult nerds aren't the only thing there is to the fanbase, either.I think you need to check your sources again.

Last edited:

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
Well... heheh. They are in fact one of the main reasons why I like the game as much as I do. The gameplay is fun and everything, but the character designs and the setting are why I really love the series. They have this sort of adorable appeal that I've rarely seen in any other franchise and which Nintendo doesn't seem to have been able to replicate since. Only Splatoon's inklings have come anywhere near close, in my opinion.

(Here's a question: Would I have been pushing for an RPG spinoff or revival as hard if the gameplay were my favorite feature?
If the puzzle action is just a distant secondary thing to you, and the characters and artwork are what really attracted you to Panepon, then why not seek out some of the many classic magical girl anime and manga series that directly inspired their design? (Or at least reflect the same artistic sensibilities, if they came after.) Panepon might have a strongly distinct identity among Nintendo's other franchises, but it wasn't created in a vacuum, and its entire aesthetic was strongly informed by many years of girl-driven Japanese cartooning. You're sure to find a much greater depth and breadth of similar content in such media (much of which has now been translated) than a SFC puzzle game from 1995 can offer.

I know you have a special attachment to Panepon in particular, whether due to its connection to Nintendo, Smash Bros., or video games in general. I'm not suggesting that anything else can be a substitute for it, but I think that broadening your horizons in the magical girl/shojo genre would be the next best thing for you, since a new Nintendo-sanctioned game starring Lip just ain't getting made.
A show doesn't run for six years, with several spinoffs, its own feature-length film, and a fairly consistently good reception, without having a large and devoted fanbase. And the adult nerds aren't the only thing there is to the fanbase, either.I think you need to check your sources again.
FIM's primary target audience of young-to-tweenage girls isn't so invested in the show as they are its merchandise, with the cartoon being little more than an extended advertisement so far as Hasbro is concerned. It was the same way with every previous MLP show. Merchandise sales are also a major reason why Spongebob and The Simpsons have been allowed to chug along on life support, long after their period of relevance as television properties expired. Clearly there's any number of other reasons that a show can keep running like that though, because Fairly OddParents is also somehow still on the air, which I haven't seen any merch for in like ten years. That series is older than the 9/11 attacks, and I think the last remaining fans stopped giving a damn about it when they made the live-action movie.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I was actually thinking of making a Panepon RPG myself in RPG Maker. It would be a lot of work though, and it would be easier if I had a larger group of "staff members" among whom I could divide the workload. There's a certain level of polish I'd want out of a game like this too, which would increase the work time even more. I'm confident something great could come out of it if I/we really show my/our love for the characters, though.

I actually got into magical girl anime a long time ago, at least the late '90s/early '00s when I watched Sailor Moon with my sister, and I think that is what ultimately led me to Panel de Pon.

(Also: Whether or not a show was made to sell toys has no bearing on whether or not it's good. It all depends on the quality of the writing staff. Transformers was also made to sell toys, and is open about it to the point where that exact phrase - "to sell toys" - is not just memetic in but embraced by the huge and devoted fan community, and while the franchise has had its ups and its downs, the ups are pretty high.)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So the entire FE Fates fiasco has made me think back to that hypothetical Panel de Pon RPG (official, not fanmade) I keep talking about over and over. At length. Without end.

On one hand, Panel de Pon is a much more lighthearted game than Fire Emblem and rewritten, sillier dialogue would be nothing if not fitting. On the other, I don't want it to dip into borderline "rub-a-dub-dub thanks for the grub" territory like Fates does and I'd be especially mad if that resulted in the loss of the character development I want so badly...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Again, it really says a lot that I'm not sure whether that's a pessimistic or a realistic point of view.

I would compare Panel de Pon to Alex Kidd, really most of Sega's franchises - Fantasy Zone, NiGHTS, Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, just off the top of my head - but at least they're still around in the All-Stars Racing series. Then again, that series hasn't yet decayed into a transparent (but successful) attempt to push game sales.

I'd like to sit a Nintendo employee down for a heart-to-heart sometime so I can ask them this: If Daigasso! Band Brothers, a series that also has only two or three games, also gets average sales, and if anything is more obscure than Panepon, deserves a Mario Maker costume - several Mario Maker costumes - why doesn't Lip? What makes Panel de Pon inferior?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I just checked, and it seems like Lip is the only major "retro" Nintendo character to be lacking a Super Mario Maker costume. Donbe and Hikari have one each, Ayumi Tachibana has one, Bubbles from Clu Clu Land has one, Diskun has one, even a freaking Volleyball player has one. Lip still has absolutely nothing. In some ways, this is worse than getting snubbed for Smash. What the hell, Nintendo? Do you really hate the series that much?

There are 144 costumes so far, and it'd be weird for them to end on that kind of number, so we might get more in the future. If we're incredibly lucky, we might even get Lip. I personally doubt it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed (and my expectations low).

Edit: I made a custom SMM-style Lip sprite to make myself feel better. I thought you guys would like to see it.

http://fyeahpaneldepon.tumblr.com/post/141766609334/a-custom-super-mario-maker-styled-lip-sprite

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I just checked, and it seems like Lip is the only major "retro" Nintendo character to be lacking a Super Mario Maker costume. Donbe and Hikari have one each, Ayumi Tachibana has one, Bubbles from Clu Clu Land has one, Diskun has one, even a freaking Volleyball player has one. Lip still has absolutely nothing. In some ways, this is worse than getting snubbed for Smash. What the hell, Nintendo? Do you really hate the series that much?

There are 144 costumes so far, and it'd be weird for them to end on that kind of number, so we might get more in the future. If we're incredibly lucky, we might even get Lip. I personally doubt it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed (and my expectations low).

Edit: I made a custom SMM-style Lip sprite to make myself feel better. I thought you guys would like to see it.

http://fyeahpaneldepon.tumblr.com/post/141766609334/a-custom-super-mario-maker-styled-lip-sprite
I somewhat expect to see Lip in SMM soon. If they could add all of those JAPAN-ONLY retros, Lip doesn't have much in the way. Also, I like your SMM sprite for Lip. It looks cute. You know, you could ask @Zem-raj to make a fanmade Lip sprite that would look more at home on SMM.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If I may ask, why in your opinion does the Lip sprite I made not look "at home" in Super Mario Maker? If it's because there are too many colors, then Costume Mario costumes aren't bound by NES limitations and can use more than three colors. I looked at the sprites of some existing costumes and used them as a reference to draw Lip in that style.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If I may ask, why in your opinion does the Lip sprite I made not look "at home" in Super Mario Maker? If it's because there are too many colors, then Costume Mario costumes aren't bound by NES limitations and can use more than three colors. I looked at the sprites of some existing costumes and used them as a reference to draw Lip in that style.
Honestly, I think that might be it. In NO way am I discrediting your hard work, I'm only saying that Lip doesn't look..."8-bit enough". If that makes sense...?

D

Deleted member

Wait, Ayumi is a costume in SMM? How haven't I heard about that before?

Anyway, as for my two cents on the sprite. The biggest problem is actually the size, not the coloration. No costume exceeds 24x24 in Mario Maker. This one, even when making it 50% smaller so that every "pixel block" is also just a single pixel, is 32x40 (40 isn't even an eligible size for sprites and the likes). And even if Lip's cropped so that every wasted space is removed, the dimensions would still be 27x38. Not only wouldn't this size work at all, but that also wouldn't leave any space for making something like, for example, running sprites, which extend to the sides far more than simply standing still.

Of course you might argue they are simply meant as "replacement" for Mario and not for those costume mushrooms, but even then the dimensions are wrong and should be 16x16 (small Mario) or 16x32 (tall Mario).

Tl;Dr: The size is completely wrong, that's what makes it not SMM-like. I'd suggest looking at Ashley got get a better idea of how a big-haired small girl would look.

Honestly, I think that might be it. In NO way am I discrediting your hard work, I'm only saying that Lip doesn't look..."8-bit enough". If that makes sense...?
Neither does Sonic. And while people have been complaining about them using his (modified) 16-bit sprite, it's not a point to make against a custom SMM sprite.

And even among the "8-bit" sprites, a lot of them actually exceed the 8-bit limit with the amount of colors they use. Duck Hunt Duo, for example, is black, dark brown, brown, light brown, beige, white, pink, purple and yellow. Even, for example, Chitoge, uses three different colors for shading her face alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, more like this?

Yes, that seems about right. Like I said earlier, I wasn't trying to discredit you; Heck, that other Lip sprite looked quite adorable. Honestly, I wish I could be that good. It's just that I personally feel that THIS one looks more closer to what we'd see in SMM.

D

Deleted member

Size wise it's much better, yes. But the sprite itself, I'll be honest, it doesn't look good at all. It looks like you just removed some lines, making it all squished and somewhat rushed. Especially the head looks more like a square. This seems to easily be fixable though, just make a shorter skin colored line for the neck. Besides that, I'd suggest spending some more time on it.

There's also no shame in using another sprite as a base. A lot of the (ripped) characters seem to be based around Mario's stance, also full frontal body with the head tilted perfectly to the side, while some newer (and unripped) ones are more diagonally angled to the camera. So depending on the angle you choose (judging by the sprite, I'm gonna guess it's the latter), I'd suggest looking at Ayumi or Chitoge then. Especially Chitoge, with her very long hair. I have some sprites of her, if you want them to use as a base.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's... more or less exactly what I did, heheh. I did some extra touch-ups on it to keep it from looking completely awful, though. Sort of like what Nintendo themselves did with Sonic's sprite... which also looks terrible. I'll keep working on it.

If you want to show me those sprites as a reference, then by all means go ahead. I want to improve.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I haven't posted here in a while.

So, more like this?

I think you should use fewer colours and/or brighten up the palette. It still looks rather SNES-y to me.
Still, good work.

EDIT: Or do what Taigiry says. I should read before posting. >_>

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you want to show me those sprites as a reference, then by all means go ahead. I want to improve.
I seem to have kinda lost most of them? Dunno why, but at least I still have those three:

Do tell if you need any other poses. Chitoge's sprites are fairly easy to get.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

It's honestly trash compared to the last few, at least in my opinion, but 24x24 is kinda cramped for a design as intricate as Lip's.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You're not being fickle, I completely agree with you. The problem with this one I think is that I tried to cram too much detail into just 24x24 pixels.

I'll try drawing it in side view and see if that changes anything.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You're not being fickle, I completely agree with you. The problem with this one I think is that I tried to cram too much detail into just 24x24 pixels.

I'll try drawing it in side view and see if that changes anything.
Oh, OK. Like I said, I think it's nice that you're putting in the effort for Lip this way. Seriously, with Nintendo adding so many JAPAN-ONLY retros to SMM, there isn't much they can say on why they won't add Lip.

Also, maybe side-view will work.

D

Deleted member

And thus Emblemboards came to an end and it's back to boring, old Smash. At least I got lucky and got Micaiah, someone I actually kinda know.

Anyway, the above actually looks way better, but I couldn't help but make some small changes myself. Pretty much just getting rid of the heavy shading you did and make the colors in general a bit brighter. I gave up when it came to the skin though, I hate shading that.

Maybe I'll try my hand at making a custom sprite (or sprite sheet) myself... probably not though. Not really in the mood to start a new project. But I have to admit, making something sprite related felt kinda nostalgic.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oh man, haven't been here in a long time. Someone liked a really old post of mine... Howdy guys.
:4pacman:

I should draw Lip again one of these days~

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
And thus Emblemboards came to an end and it's back to boring, old Smash. At least I got lucky and got Micaiah, someone I actually kinda know.

Anyway, the above actually looks way better, but I couldn't help but make some small changes myself. Pretty much just getting rid of the heavy shading you did and make the colors in general a bit brighter. I gave up when it came to the skin though, I hate shading that.

Maybe I'll try my hand at making a custom sprite (or sprite sheet) myself... probably not though. Not really in the mood to start a new project. But I have to admit, making something sprite related felt kinda nostalgic.
It's really cute, but the lack of contrast was bugging me, so I changed the colors back to the ones I used in my sprite. (They're actually the colors used in Lip's official sprites, just brightened up some.)

What do you think?

Top Bottom